BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-01 6:55 PM
in reply to: #638496

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Gearwhore's Group - FULL

westwoodrnr - 2007-01-01 4:05 PM Good to see the group is full. I look forward to watching "OUR" groups progression. As far as a screen name goes you can just use my first name = Brian. The 2008 IM - well it would be cool to get a lottery pick to Kona but I like to be realistic so I have a couple on my list depending on how my training goes. 1. Arizona - if my training and recovery goes well, this is an early season race so I don't know if my swim mileage will be ready 2. Florida - I have heard it is flat and fast - well at least it would be flat the fast part is probably out of the question for me. 3. Louisville - It is close to home which could be nice ( friends and family) but then again I would like to make my first IM a destination type race. I am sure I will have plenty of swim questions in the near future. I plan on taking the plunge this week. Till next time, Brian

Arizona is really early, and you have to be willing to commit to a lot of long training in the cold months.  For some people that works fine, but I want to avoid long rides and runs indoors if I can.  That was part of the attraction for me of Wisco or Florida, both are late in the season, so a lot of the big mileage training days would occur in the spring or summer time, when it's much easier and more pleasant to be outside training for 5-7 hours at a time.

I think the Florida course cuts both ways.  It is flat, and most people who have done multiple IMs have a PR at Florida, but I've also heard that the flat course can be challenging because of the mental drain and the lack of variation is hard on the muscles.  Also, the wind at Florida can be a breaker, so there's another consideration for you.

2007-01-02 6:24 AM
in reply to: #631977

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Welcome all! Hope you had a good new year. It seems like we have a pretty solid group here. With the proper motivation from everyone and the leadership from Adam we will all be able to successfully accomplish all of our goals.
2007-01-02 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Just a quick thought this morning:

They say it takes six weeks to form a new habit.  Now is a great time to form the training habit (if you haven't already), and settle into consistent training. 

The idea, especially early on in your fitness/training endeavor is to make sure and do something every day.  If you don't have time to complete 100% of every workout as scheduled, do half, or do as much as you have time for.  It's better to get in a 15 minute run, 30 minute bike or 20 minute swim than to do nothing at all.  Don't get trapped into the mentality that you have to do everything exactly as scheduled or its not worth doing at all.

2007-01-02 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Adam,
I am sure you have great advice for this too since you live in Colorado... What steps do you do to keep warm biking outside in the cold weather? I rode on the trainer again this morning and went to let the dogs out and froze my nuts off just going outside in my bicycling pants. Do you do thermals underneath all of that or what? I'd really like to start logging in some mileage outside instead of on the trainer.
2007-01-02 12:35 PM
in reply to: #639331

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

ajfoster02 - 2007-01-02 11:24 AM Adam, I am sure you have great advice for this too since you live in Colorado... What steps do you do to keep warm biking outside in the cold weather? I rode on the trainer again this morning and went to let the dogs out and froze my nuts off just going outside in my bicycling pants. Do you do thermals underneath all of that or what? I'd really like to start logging in some mileage outside instead of on the trainer.

I don't ride outside too much below about 35 degrees because it's just about impossible to stay warm and comfortable.  But, above that, here are some ideas:

Legs - full length cycling tights down to the ankles OR leg warmers (like sleaves for your legs). 

Upper body - layering - liner shirt, jersey, fleece, jacket.  You just have to experiment.  Make sure you wear something with the rear pocket to stuff layers into if you're wearing too much.

Head - I have a Descente skull cap that covers my ears, and my helmet fits on top.

Feet - neoprene cycling shoe covers over my cycling shoes.  These thing are amazing, and work great to allow you to clip in and still keep your feet warm.

Hands - Pearl Izumi winter cycling gloves (or another brand, but cycling specific if you can afford them).  They have a soft patch on the thumb to wipe the (profuse) snot from your nose, and pretty loose fingers to allow easy shifting and brake use.

Sunglasses - Especially important in cold weather, or you'll have tears streaming down your face from the cold air on the eyes.

That's about it.  I wore basically that exact outfit this weekend riding my mountain bike in the snow, and I was warm the whole time.  Granted, I was out in the middle of the day, the sun was shining, and the temp was about 40, but I was totally comfortable the whole time.

Edited by Gearwhore 2007-01-02 2:36 PM
2007-01-02 1:42 PM

User image

Winter Riding - If you can ride a mountain bike on some good single track do it. Not only is it a blast but it is a great total body workout. Most single track is in wooded areas which is great for cutting that nasty cold wind. Just make sure you watch the freeze and thaw effect of the trails.

The neoprene booties are the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is amazing how warm they keep your feet. Most of the time I will ride with shorts, base layer shirt, UnderArmor style shirt and windstopper type long sleeve jersey. Make sure you stay hydrated as well, it is easy for one to overlook drinking H20 in cold weather.

I agree putting in time on a trainer is about as fun as getting poked in the eye. If you don't have any you might try out a Spinerval DVD. They really help you stay focused. Another thing I do is an interval type workout using TV commercials as my pick up markers.

2007-01-03 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Do you guys have specific questions about the logging functions on BT?  I'm no technical expert, but I've been on the site a while and pretty well know all the logging functions.  We could use this forum to answer questions.

Here's a few basics though:

When replying to inspires, use the "blog" function.  If you hit reply, the answer is only posted in the "Inspire me" section of your log, and I don't know that you've answered until I come back to your log.

In the three main sports (swim/bike/run), you can enter time and distance, and then click pace for an automatic calculation of your pace for that workout.

If you're logging a sport other than s/b/r, go to the sports section, click on the drop down list, click on that sport, and hit add sport.  After you add the sport, a new box will appear with time next to the sport.

There are tons of other functions, so ask me specific questions.  The site host also has various logging instructions in the "Forums" section of this website, so you can go in there and check out the more detailed instructions with step-by-step pictures.

2007-01-04 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
For the group, I wanted to post AJ's running experience from last night as a great learning experience for a beginner triathlete.  This is not to set up AJ as a negative example, he didn't do anything "wrong," it's just an opportunity for everyone to learn something about training.  Here's his post, edited for length, and my response:
From AJ:

I decided to run on the track last night.  I started running and immediately felt like I was going too hard.  The laps were quick and I knew I would burn myself out quickly. Even so I thought I could run at least two miles straight.  On the third lap of the first mile I got a cramp in my right calf so I finished out one mile (at a time of 7:47) and then walked a half mile thinking the cramp would go away. It just got worse but I felt like I couldn't give up.

After walking a half mile I ran another half mile, then walked half, then ran half, then finished with another half mile walk.  I'm disappointed in this run, but here's what I think I learned: 1) I need to pace myself instead of going too fast and burning myself out (2) learn how to work the HRM properly. 3) Do some extra stretching before I run. Here are the quarter mile times: First Mile Run (7:47) Q1- 1:49.8, Q2 - 1:56.0, Q3 - 2:00.5, Q4 - 2:00.4; Half Mile Walk – Q5 - 5:08.9; Q6 - 4:55.1; Half Mile Run Q7 - 2:00.4, Q8 - 2:07.3; Half Mile Walk - Q9 - 5:16.0; Q10 - 4:47.3; Half Mile Run- Q11 - 1:55.9; Q12 - 2:05.7; Half Mile Walk Q13 - 5:00.0; Q- 14 - 5:15.4.
My response:

#1 - YOU WERE RUNNING WAY TOO FAST OUT OF THE GATE! 7:47 pace is fast for a training run. Fast in anyone's world. Go look at the log on BT for markdills38. He's a buddy of ours here in Denver, and his goal this year is to try and qualify for Kona - the pinnacle of triathlon. Mark is probably one of the fittest guys I know, and one of the best runners I've ever met, and on his HARD runs, he goes at about the pace you were attempting last night. Personally, I'm just now getting to the point that I can hold that pace somewhat comfortably (meaning I don't feel like I need to puke), but I have nearly two solid years of triathlon and running training under my belt, and in the last 3 months I have logged something like 400 miles. You can't start a program, with no base, and go out and hammer out sub-8 miles, your body is simply not adapted to that running pace yet.

#2 - As to the what happened: I'm 99% sure you were running at or just above what is called lactate threshold (LT). LT is the point at which lactic acid, the byproduct of the muscular metabolic process, is accumulating in your muscles faster than your body can clear it out. It's your body's natural braking system so that you don't kill yourself with over-exertion. Given your recent training, your LT pace is probably somewhere around 8-8:15 min/miles, and anything above that is a pace you won't be able to sustain for long (as you found out the hard way last night).  [Another thought here – if you look closely at the times for the quarters, what you see is that AJ was running hard and fast for a quarter, then slowing down because his muscles were overwhelmed with lactic acid, then slowing down a little more because his body was simply forcing him to slow down, then stopping to walk when his body completely rebelled.  On the walking intervals, his body cleared out the lactic acid, and AJ started the process all over again.  Mentally, I'm sure this was pure anguish, because working out above LT is very physically uncomfortable and really starts to cloud your thinking and sap your confidence.]

#3 - Having said all that, there was some utility to this workout. We now have some idea what your approximate LT is, and you can now base some more reasonably paced workouts on what happened last night. So, assuming my guess that 8 min/miles is approximately your LT, you should doing ALL your running for the next 2-3 months at 10-10:30 min/mile pace. I know, it's going to feel slow, really slow, but at this stage of your training, you're not trying to set a land speed record, you're trying to increase your endurance and build your aerobic capacity. The best way to increase your endurance is by running at a (very) comfortably slow pace, and gradually increasing the time and distance that you run. There will be plenty of time to work on getting faster late in the spring and early in the summer. Right now, you need to just whip your heart and lungs into shape, and start building some basic endurance.

#4 - The heart rate monitor (HRM) - It's a great training tool, and fun to play around with, but you're not at a point where it is really of perfect utility. Until you are ready to do some real LT testing, the numbers are somewhat arbitrary. My suggestion is that you go out in the next couple of days and run 3 miles at a 10:30 pace. Wear your HRM and record the avg. and max HR. From that, we'll have an idea what your endurance pace training HR should look like, and then you can subtract another 5-7 beats per minute to get the same intensity level for the bike (biking is less stressful on your system, and the same training intensity on the bike will result in a lower HR).

#5 - After 30 days of training for the bike and run at these very low intensities, you should do a LT test for the bike and run, which I can help you figure out, so that you can get precise HR training zones. With those more precise zones, you can really dial in your training.

All of this will require some self discipline. The natural tendency is to go out there and kick some in your training, but you have to get used to the idea that the way to gain fitness, especially early on, is to go at a very moderate pace day-after-day-after-day.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

2007-01-04 11:39 PM

User image

San Clemente, CA
Hello Groupies,
Looking for a little inspiration on Nutritional facts and Ideas for eating right. I dont know what happened to "the body" that was allowed to eat and drink without having to see the damage done but Im looking for him again. I guess I should start with the basics with suggestions on calories, fat, carbs /day. Can anyone send me in the right direction (article posted here, or someone elses blog to keep tabs on).
2007-01-05 9:49 AM
in reply to: #642993

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

keith slattery - 2007-01-04 10:39 PM Hello Groupies, Looking for a little inspiration on Nutritional facts and Ideas for eating right. I dont know what happened to "the body" that was allowed to eat and drink without having to see the damage done but Im looking for him again. I guess I should start with the basics with suggestions on calories, fat, carbs /day. Can anyone send me in the right direction (article posted here, or someone elses blog to keep tabs on).

I'll tell you what happened - you got older, like the rest of us!  Just kidding, I know, I went through the same thing.  I decided to start triathlon basically because we took a beach vacation a couple of years ago, and when we got the pictures back my first question was "when did I get so f*cking fat?!"

Okay, to actually answer the question.  The first thing you should check is the major resource here on BT in the "Forums" section called "Tri-ing for Weightloss."  There's a lot of good information in there, and lots of other BT users doing the same thing.  People post questions, have discussions, and challenge each other to weight loss contests.  The only thing I would caution against is that I have noticed on occassion that it's a place for people to and moan about how they can't lose weight, and they can't give up on the ice cream or cookies, and how they're bummed about the whole thing, etc.  No offense to any of them, losing weight is hard, and slow, and sometimes very frustrating.  Just don't get sucked into the enabling whining-fest that can sometimes occur on BT.

My second suggestion is to read the nutrional articles on BT.  A registered dietrician/nutritionist posts some very useful and informative articles here on BT.  Some of the articles are for paid users, and if you want to read those, it's only $25 every 6 months to get a bronze level membership and unlock those performance member articles.

Next, go out and buy Carmichael's book on nutrition for athletes.  Carmichael was/is Lance Armstrong's coach, and he and his staff wrote what I consider a great book about nutrition for athletes.  It dispells a lot of the bullsh*t fad diets (especially why they're bad for endurance athletes), walks you through good and bad nutrition, and even breaks it down to calories, carbs, protein, fat, etc. - and matches all that up to a periodized training program.  Very detailed, VERY informative.

You can, of course, also look around at what other BT users are doing and ask me.  Of the people on my friends list, probably the best and most focused nutrition person is "luv2ride" - she's the nutrition queen.  She makes all her own food, packs lunches, eats REALLY well, is very disciplined, and knows tons about this stuff.  I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you ask her questions.

As far as my thoughts, I'm no expert, but I did lose 40 pounds in about 18 months.  I did that through a few very basic changes: I cut out soda completely, I cut out fried foods almost completely, I drank a LOT of water, I ate all the fruits and vegetables I could get my hands on, and I started eating 3 small/regular meals per day and 3 healthy snacks.  I never let myself get too hungry, and I never eat until I'm stuffed.  I sort of counted calories for a while, but I find that extremely tedious and difficult, so I knocked that off pretty quickly.

I don't mean to oversimplify, but in some ways my philosophy is that "it isn't that hard."  We all have a pretty good idea what we should be eating and what we shouldn't.  We all know that picking up that "Big Grab" of Dorritos to accompany the turkey sandwhich totally blows the whole meal, yet we do it and then complain about not being able to lose weight.  Losing weight, in my opinion, is mostly about exercising self discipline and using common sense.  The self discipline part is the really hard part, and that's the place to focus.  And of course, just as with triathlon training, it has to happen every day, day-after-day-after day.  Consistency is king.

Having said all that, DON'T starve yourself, and DON'T expect to be perfect.  A healthy weight loss pace is 1-2 lbs per week.  More than that and you are starving yourself, losing muscle mass, stressing out your system, sacrificing your fitness, and you'll be completely unable to recover from your training.  You basically have to accept the fact that losing 20 lbs in a healthy way takes 6 months, or maybe more.  I want to lose 10 before the next race season, and I plan to give myself 10-12 weeks to do it.  You can't rush the weightloss, you have to be patient.  And accepting/adopting that mentality will serve you well as a triathlete anyway - real change takes a LOT of time and happens very slowly.  I've been doing this for a couple of years, and I still see my body changing all the time.

Okay, enough for now, chip in with your thoughts and questions.

2007-01-05 10:54 AM

Myself though probably the least fit of the group in terms of my weight do have a few idea's here. I am current reading the Lance Armstrong performance program because i know that 1) the bike is my weakest spot and 2) I have been searching for nutrition info also.

I did the South Beach and lost 40lbs and was working out regularly. This took about 4 months but fell off after while and gained more weight back. This was because I quit working out and because I started eating the same old way. I thought I had it dicked.
Other then the Body for Life this is the only one I have done. I found there to be a similarity between the 2 because they are based on sound eating principles.

However, I think that the BLF program wants to promote and sell their supplements and the South Beach is to carb restrictive for an endurance athelete.(sp) I have gone on a modified version of the South Beach and include more bread and fruit then it suggest because I know that I will, as I progress in training, need the extra energy. I feel that I need to develop the habits now so I do not stumble too badly as training progresses and I need more energy to perform at the best that I can.

This approach has allowed me to drop 10lbs in the last 2 months. Slow but steady. I anticipate on an increase of weightloss to occure as I expend more and more energy as I train and then for the weightloss to slow and stabilze.

Anyway, that is the approach that seems to be working for me.

Fred

2007-01-05 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

You raise some good points, one of the main points being that the battle is never over and you never have it "beat."  You can't just get down to the weight target you want to hit, and then go back to eating poorly.  This has be a change that you are willing to make and then maintain.  Which is the other reason I say that things like counting calories, or fad diets, or being ultra restrictive on your diet won't work, you simply can't keep that up forever, it's too tedious and too difficult.  I think the better approach is to educate yourself to make good choices all the time, and then discipline yourself to keep making those good choices consistently.

2007-01-05 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Hey guys,

This was a post I left for Keith but want to share with everyone just for the record...

What has been working for me now as well as the past is sticking to eating 5-6 small healthy foods a day. I don't really count calories or carbs and stuff which I may start doing eventually. For example I will have a small bowl of cereal in the morning with a small glass of OJ in the morning. Between breakfast and lunch I will have a banana and an orange. Lunch I will have a can of soup with and apple. In between lunch and dinner I usually have a couple peaches or a myoplex drink. Dinner I just make your general dinner and have a smaller portion than normal... maybe one grilled chicken breast cut (instead of two) with some brown rice and green beans. Generally I am pretty full after all of that so I don't eat a sixth meal. If I do get hungry I just have another banana. I also try to drink at least 4-5 liters of water a day too. I am sure Adam may have better information or advice so just wait on him. Keep up the good work training and have a great weekend bud.

Like Adam said in an earlier post, I try to get my hands on as much fruits and vegtables as possible (even though I would rather eat fruit over veggies). Adam is also right... the whole key to this is the discipline we have to have over our bodies urges. We can all do this, we just have to stick with it and not go off the deep end! We all have goals we have set forth mostly all for this year. Time to start doing it!

I feel this is a great group to be in guys, we have a great coach/mentor and most of his friends have helped out as well. I don't know about all of you but we owe it to ourselves and to them to show them we can all do this!
2007-01-05 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Has anyone heard from HKDan??? No training log updates or posts lately.
2007-01-05 6:30 PM

User image

San Clemente, CA
WOW, now I know why I joined. This was exactly what I was looking for to help get me and keep me motivated. Thank you everyone for the great feedback and insight. I wasnt expecting such support. I can see Im not the only one wanting to succeed. I havent had a chance to log on today until 4 pm and was ready to grab a couple of beers and head home. After reading the posts I managed to put on the shoe and get up to the gym for a run. That was you guys motivating me. Feeling great and looking forward to tomorrow. Unfortunatly when I did step out of the office for sushi I ordered sashimi roll and fried peppers. Next week we will be ordering just the sashimi. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I know mine is off to a good start.
Next stop - the grocery store. I think I ll grab a 6 pack instead of 12 to last me the weekend.
Keith
2007-01-05 7:08 PM
in reply to: #644308

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

keith slattery - 2007-01-05 5:30 PM WOW, now I know why I joined. This was exactly what I was looking for to help get me and keep me motivated. Thank you everyone for the great feedback and insight. I wasnt expecting such support. I can see Im not the only one wanting to succeed. I havent had a chance to log on today until 4 pm and was ready to grab a couple of beers and head home. After reading the posts I managed to put on the shoe and get up to the gym for a run. That was you guys motivating me. Feeling great and looking forward to tomorrow. Unfortunatly when I did step out of the office for sushi I ordered sashimi roll and fried peppers. Next week we will be ordering just the sashimi. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I know mine is off to a good start. Next stop - the grocery store. I think I ll grab a 6 pack instead of 12 to last me the weekend. Keith

You got it exactly right man, baby steps!  Don't cut out the beer, just knock it down to a sixer!  I love it, that's great.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2007-01-05 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Keith,
we are all here to help eachother out! Great work on getting to the gym and getting a 6er instead of a 12 pack. One of the advantages of living in PA grocery stores are not allowed to sell beer so I dont have the temptation every time I am there. I would have to take the extra step in driving to the beer distributor.

Have a great weekend, I already started mine off on the right foot!
2007-01-06 10:09 AM

User image

Okay ... I've got my training calender completed up to my "A" race ( Muncie Endurathon 1/2 I.M.), where do I go from there? I still have several races scheduled to finish out my season ( 2 Xterra triathlons .5/11mile/4mile, mountain bike races and 5K trail races). On top of this I am planning a fall R2R2R run of the Grand Canyon so I will need to be concentrating on building my mileage up for the 44.6 mile crossing.

What type of training program should I follow for the remainder of the year after Muncie, keeping in mind that my 2008 goal is to do a full Ironman. I figure the month of December will be very laid back and I don't plan on doing much training at all ( light running and swimming only).

2007-01-06 10:46 AM
in reply to: #644625

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

westwoodrnr - 2007-01-06 9:09 AM Okay ... I've got my training calender completed up to my "A" race ( Muncie Endurathon 1/2 I.M.), where do I go from there? I still have several races scheduled to finish out my season ( 2 Xterra triathlons .5/11mile/4mile, mountain bike races and 5K trail races). On top of this I am planning a fall R2R2R run of the Grand Canyon so I will need to be concentrating on building my mileage up for the 44.6 mile crossing. What type of training program should I follow for the remainder of the year after Muncie, keeping in mind that my 2008 goal is to do a full Ironman. I figure the month of December will be very laid back and I don't plan on doing much training at all ( light running and swimming only).

Admittedly, this is where things get a little complicated, transitioning from one race to the next and preparing yourself mentally and physically to shift gears to another race, or even a one sport focus.

First, I would suggest that you need two weeks of light training after the 1/2 to recover.  Depending on the time between races, I would consider taking 1 full week off from running, doing only easy riding and swimming that week.  The second week you can get back to running, but moderate distances at easy pace.  I don't know the dates of any of these races, so I'm not too sure about how this will play out.  Maybe post the detailed race calendar here or in your blog and I can give some more detailed suggestions.

Starting two full weeks after the half (assuming that fits your schedule), I would start ramping up that mileage for the Grand Canyon run.  Shift your plan to focus on running 4-5 days/week, with 2 cycling and 2 swimming (to maintain fitness in those sports).  I would see that being more like a traditional marathon plan where the mileage goes up 2 miles each week on the long run, and total volume goes up 10% each week (maybe 4-5 miles or more depending on total weekly planned volume).  Again, this depends on dates.  But you need to do some research on plans for ultras, and I don't know much about that.

During that interim period, you will carry a lot of fitness through from the half, and shorter races basically count as hard training days.  So, like the XTerra races will be considered hard training, and you can either do a mini-taper or no taper for those (which assumes they are B/C priority, and they should be, obviously you can't go A race, A race, A race).

After the Grand Canyon race, then some down time.  Is that late enough that you can call December your off-season?  Are you still thinking AZ?  If you're planning on AZ, I think you would be ill advised to take December as an off month.  AZ IM is too early in the season to take a month off that close to the race, so if you REALLY need to take December off, pick one of the later IM races.

All for now, but post some more specifics and we can discuss.  This gets difficult and really specific, and training for ultras and IM takes a lot of time and thought.

2007-01-06 11:32 AM

User image

RACE SCHEDULE - AFTER MUNCIE ENDURATHON -

7/28 XTERRA TRI .5kayak/11mtb/4trailrun
7/29 MTB. race 11 miles
8/18 XTERRA TRI .5kayak/11mtb/4trailrun
8/19 MTB. race 11 miles
9/8 5K trail race
9/9 MTB race 11 miles
10/6 MTB relay race 24 hours / 4 person team
10/13 5K trail race
11/17 5K trail race
11/19-24 R2R2R Grand Canyon run 44.6 miles broke down to 2 days running
12/2 4 mile race

If anyone is intersted I am looking for others who want to do the R2R2R run. Currently there are 2 of us, 4 would be ideal.

I probably will not do AZ / I.M. - I agree it is just too early in the year.
2007-01-06 5:10 PM
in reply to: #644688

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

westwoodrnr - 2007-01-06 10:32 AM RACE SCHEDULE - AFTER MUNCIE ENDURATHON - 7/28 XTERRA TRI .5kayak/11mtb/4trailrun 7/29 MTB. race 11 miles 8/18 XTERRA TRI .5kayak/11mtb/4trailrun 8/19 MTB. race 11 miles 9/8 5K trail race 9/9 MTB race 11 miles 10/6 MTB relay race 24 hours / 4 person team 10/13 5K trail race 11/17 5K trail race 11/19-24 R2R2R Grand Canyon run 44.6 miles broke down to 2 days running 12/2 4 mile race If anyone is intersted I am looking for others who want to do the R2R2R run. Currently there are 2 of us, 4 would be ideal. I probably will not do AZ / I.M. - I agree it is just too early in the year.

Wow, that is a full schedule.  Brian, you know this already, and it seems like you're an experienced endurance athlete, but just as a side note for AJ, Keith and Fred (and HKDan if he's checking the site), that is a MONSTER schedule.  Actually, that is probably a harder schedule than I have ever seen.  Those back to back days are especially rugged, you have a 24 hour MTB race in there, an ultra, AND you want to start thinking about IM next year.  You'll need a HUGE training base and some fairly deep experience to race that successfully and not break down.  I have no idea whether you have the means (and it's really none of my business), but if I were you, I would seriously consider hiring a professional coach to get you through that and start building toward IM.

Now, having said that, it does look fun and challenging, and the timing works out pretty well on a couple of things.  First, you have a two week break kind of already built in after the Muncie Endurathon.  One thing you'll have to think about though, especially when considering your goals for the Muncie Endurathon, is that you have a challenging mix of events.  What I mean is that the half iron will be about endurance and tempo speed, whereas the XTerra and MTB series will be about strength and short distance speed.  Likewise, the R2R2R run will be a tough mix of endurance and strength, and a lot of what you'll be doing going into that race won't specifically help you get through the R2R2R.  And that's pretty much why I say I think you would really benefit from some professional coaching. 

If you don't want to use a coach, and maybe this goes without saying, you should think about doing at least one long-ish hill run per week (meaning hill repeats on short rest in the middle of some endurance paced efforts), and one day/week of strength based riding (probably climbing repeats - maybe parts of the Hilly Hundred course if that is convenient).  Of course, raw endurance will also be an issue, and with that length and intensity of race season, your base period should probably include some road rides gradually building up into the 5-6+ hour range (perhaps culminating in an organized century at training pace sometime in the late spring or very early summer).  Depending on your current base of running fitness, you might consider working up to around a 20 miler in your last base phase (maybe longer if you can handle it). 

I have no idea if that all makes sense and jives with your experience, background, past training, etc.  Seems like it might though, and if you get that combination of strength and endurance training in early in the season, I think it will make you more durable in the long haul.  I would also suggest some time in the gym if you can manage the time for strength work.  Durability will be one of your main challenges this year, and some lifting might help in that arena.

That's about all I've got for you though.  I think even a professional coach might be scratching his head looking at this schedule.  Kudos to you for tackling that monster schedule.

2007-01-06 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
For strength training...

I usually do an equal amount of upper body to lower body but I wanted to see how the strength trainning relates to tri. Do you put in less time with lower body than upper body sine you are continuously working the lower body harder than the upper body during training?

Thanks.
2007-01-06 9:53 PM
in reply to: #645027

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

ajfoster02 - 2007-01-06 7:13 PM For strength training... I usually do an equal amount of upper body to lower body but I wanted to see how the strength trainning relates to tri. Do you put in less time with lower body than upper body sine you are continuously working the lower body harder than the upper body during training? Thanks.

Depends on the phase of training.  If you check my logs right now, you'll notice that I'm doing less and going easy on the legs because I'm tapering (reducing training volume and resting) before the marathon.  Early in the season, when you are building strength and getting ready for the season, equal sets of both is fine.  When you are building toward your race readiness, start focusing on how you feel and avoid being too fatigued in the legs.  When coming down to peak fitness and really getting close to the race, consider skipping the leg lifts altogether.

Another couple of thoughts: don't lift legs on days where you have particularly hard/fast runs planned.  Don't lift legs before running in general if you can avoid it, because lifting can weaken your stability muscles and risk joint injury.  For that matter, to the extent possible, get the priority workout done first (which should usually be swim/bike/run).  If that's not possible, try to get some time between the lift and the s/b/r workout so you're not totally dead going into the triathlon workout.

2007-01-07 9:41 AM
in reply to: #644926

User image

As you can tell from my proposed schedule I am an exercise/adrenaline junkie. My pesonality puts me in the all or none category. When I put my mind to something I go full tilt ( warning this can lead to extreme burn out). I am fotunate enough that somehow my mind and my body adapts very well to the "extreme" forces I put on it.

I will clarify my schedule a bit:
MOUNTIAN BIKE RACES: this is all about fun for me, a great way to develop my riding skills, a good break from the road ( I could never be fast enough to race crit type road races), mountain bikers drink beer! ( my wife and son also race).

TRAIL RUN: this is my passion. I ran roads from the time I was 16 until I was about 30. Running trails is what has saved my running, total body workout, love the hills.

R2R2R: This is one of those life lists things. This run will be done for pure enjoyment. This will be part of the family vacation this year.

XTERRA TRIATHLONS: How much more fun can a person have. I will probably do the kayak/bike/run segment. I started flatwater paddleing last year and I love it.

The key to my schedule is having a very understanding family. My wife and son are the best. I believe having a family support group is the key for all of us in our training and racing endeavors this year. Make it a point to sit down with your family and tell them about your training and racing. Let them see and hear how passionate you are about your sport. Without the support of your immediate family it is going to be very tough to stay committed. Beyond that I have a very good support group of friends who go out of there way to help me out. It is almost like some of them get some type of vicarious enjoyment out of my training and racing.

Anyway .. I would love to be able to hire a personal coach but as the old saying goes " there is too much month left at the end of the money" right now. I do have a pretty good group of "mentors" ( here on the site, at work, and on my adventure racing team) that are helping me out this year.

Till next time ...
2007-01-07 11:19 AM
in reply to: #645228

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

westwoodrnr - 2007-01-07 8:41 AM As you can tell from my proposed schedule I am an exercise/adrenaline junkie. My pesonality puts me in the all or none category. When I put my mind to something I go full tilt ( warning this can lead to extreme burn out). I am fotunate enough that somehow my mind and my body adapts very well to the "extreme" forces I put on it. I will clarify my schedule a bit: MOUNTIAN BIKE RACES: this is all about fun for me, a great way to develop my riding skills, a good break from the road ( I could never be fast enough to race crit type road races), mountain bikers drink beer! ( my wife and son also race). TRAIL RUN: this is my passion. I ran roads from the time I was 16 until I was about 30. Running trails is what has saved my running, total body workout, love the hills. R2R2R: This is one of those life lists things. This run will be done for pure enjoyment. This will be part of the family vacation this year. XTERRA TRIATHLONS: How much more fun can a person have. I will probably do the kayak/bike/run segment. I started flatwater paddleing last year and I love it. The key to my schedule is having a very understanding family. My wife and son are the best. I believe having a family support group is the key for all of us in our training and racing endeavors this year. Make it a point to sit down with your family and tell them about your training and racing. Let them see and hear how passionate you are about your sport. Without the support of your immediate family it is going to be very tough to stay committed. Beyond that I have a very good support group of friends who go out of there way to help me out. It is almost like some of them get some type of vicarious enjoyment out of my training and racing. Anyway .. I would love to be able to hire a personal coach but as the old saying goes " there is too much month left at the end of the money" right now. I do have a pretty good group of "mentors" ( here on the site, at work, and on my adventure racing team) that are helping me out this year. Till next time ...

Brian - Those are all excellent points and a great way to approach the season.  In particular, I like the point about speaking to your loved ones and friends about what you're doing and why this is important.  I would be dead in the water without my wife, who acts as race director, nutritionist, massage therapist, and chearleader for my addiction to this sport.  Triathlon is time consuming and will, at times, leave you physically and mentally drained.  Your S.O. and family need to know that, appreciate your passion and goals, and be prepared to help you manage your schedule and be there to pick you up a little when you need it.  So whether it's in a conversation over dinner, or an e-mail or letter, LET THEM KNOW.

But (and as you're starting to see with me and my comments, there's always the flip-side), don't bore the sh!t out of everyone with the details of your training and racing.  Trust me, your wife and kids don't care about what your average heart rate was on the last long run, your new race wheels, how your flip turns are coming along, etc., etc., etc.  So keep them apprised generally, answer specific questions when they ask, but use BT and your training friends to scratch that itch to be a training dork and talk details.  When you're with the family, keep up with what they're doing, talk about family stuff, news and sports, and generally try and maintain a connection to the rest of what's happening in the world.  When they see that you're not going to become a one-dimensional training freak, they'll appreciate your new sport even more and support your endeavors.

As to the point about the coach, don't worry about that, it was just a suggestion.  There are plenty of resources here on BT and through some basic research for you to figure this out.  Sounds like you're pretty durable and experienced, so the challenge (in a fun way) will just be getting down to the nitty-gritty details of how you prepare for the various challenges.  You can do it though, especially carrying the positive attitude that you clearly already have into your training.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gearwhore/himself Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11