Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2006-12-22 10:40 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: KathyG's group- Full

STORY:
I’m Kathy Graves a 45 year old Mom of 5 triathlete!! I'm going into my 4th season of competing in triathlons.

I was lazy and very overweight for 15+ years. After starting to lose weight I heard about triathlons and thought if I did one of those I could prove to myself I had turned my life around. I was so out of shape walking up the stairs I was out of breath. I started training and would only run in the dark as I didn’t want my neighbors to see me. I finished my first sprint triathlon and was amazed that I did it….it was very hard and I came in 3rd from last.

Over the last 3 years, I've improved my skills and have become an athlete, but bigger is my life has changed for the better as training and racing has taught me a lot beyond swimming, running and biking. I now dream big and can’t wait to work towards the next goal I set. The mental aspect about training and racing is huge. I love that at 45 I can run faster than I could as a soccer player in college and look forward to seeing what I can do next year and the next.

I love participating in triathlons as it has given me a gift to learn to challenge myself and surprise myself sometimes with the things I can do. I think training helps me be a better person, a better wife and Mom plus I’m having lots more fun!

I went from placing last in my first International length tri to dropping my time an hour the following year by working hard. It is possible to make great strides and improve with diligent training.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Kevin for 21 years and we have 5 kids from twin 17 year old sons graduating from High School this year to our youngest who is 8. One of my tri goals is to be an inspiration to my children to have a healthy lifestyle. I’m lucky to have had 4 of my kids participate in triathlons this year including my 12 year old daughter and 17 year old son doing a sprint along side of me with my brother and nephew. I work full time so I know how difficult it can be to get training in.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I strive to train very consistently which I have found is key to my improvement. I love training and how it makes me feel. This off season I have been working on my swim and run mechanics as improving technique is often free increase in speed.

I have been working with a tri coach for almost 2 years. Now I train 2 weeks building and 1 week rest/recovery. On build weeks I swim/bike/run each three times a week and strength train twice and on rest weeks I swim/bike three times a week, run twice and strength train once.

Living in MA can be challenging but I try to ride outside each week throughout the winter as I find my training is better outdoors than inside on a trainer plus I really love to ride my bike. I’m planning on doing my first HIM this year.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year I did 9 tris; including 2 International and bike portion of a HIM. I moved up from BOP to MOP in most races last year and even placed 1st and 3rd a couple times as an Athena. I do best on the bike and hope to improve my swimming and running to be better balanced.

2007 RACES: September 23, Nutmeg HIM. My other races are St. Anthony’s in Florida April 29th; Mooseman Int’l June 2; Cranberry Country Intl August 26th; plus a couple sprints

WEIGHTLOSS: So far since April 2003, I’ve lost 89 pounds and 10 sizes! My goal is to get to a healthy weight for me and I’m working my way towards losing 100 pounds. I lose very slowly 1-2 pounds a month. I try hard to eat clean….protein, fruit, and vegetables and have eliminated sugar, flour, and most white stuff from my diet.

Edited by KathyG 2007-01-24 7:20 AM

2006-12-27 9:11 AM
in reply to: #632158

User image

Williamstown, NJ
Subject: RE: KathyG's group- open
Kathy -
I'd love to join your group! Here's a little background: I'm 43, full-time working mom with 3 kids (13,8 and 4), living in NJ. Last year I did my first tri (Philly Women's sprint) and placed in the bottom 20, but atleast I finished, which was my goal.
Since last March, I've lost about 30 lbs, but have atleast another 30 lbs to go. I'm a slow loser, generally about one-lb/week, but I've been at a plateau for several months.
My biggest issue is making the time to train. I'm not a great morning person, but I find that that's basically the only time I can get workouts done because most nights during the week I have to run atleast one of the kids somewhere (karate, soccer....).
I belong to a gym near my office, and generally go at lunchtime atleast 4 days/week. I've been working out with a trainer 2 days/week there, but my last session with him will be this Friday (just got WAY too expensive). My husband got me 10-sessions at a new facility, for Christmas, but I haven't set those up yet. Will definitely have to be an early-AM workout.
I also just signed up with a local tri/running coach. Right now we're just working on building my running base. I'm planning on a 10-mile race in late March, another in early May and then several sprint races in July/August.
I guess that's about it for me. Let me know if I can give you any more background/information.

Carol
2006-12-27 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Kathy!  Can I join up?  I'm so glad you're mentoring, you're really an inspiration around here!  I was torn between being a mentor and having one, but I think I'd like a mentor for this year and perhaps next year I'll carry the torch

I'm Christine, a 31 y.o. full-time working mom of 1 (Zach, 3 y.o.) and wife to a police officer (Chris) here in NJ.  Between working, mom-ing, and my husband's schedule, finding time to train is my biggest issue.  I got talked into doing the Danskin tri last June, starting from the couch, and loved every minute!  I did several running races in 2006, my longest being a 10K the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  I've lost 12 lbs, I'm also a slow lb-loser, and I probably have another 12 to go.  Not a lot, comparatively, but eating healthy is a huge challenge - with a picky pre-K eater and a husband who's never home (or craves steak when he is!) I don't always make good choices. 

Right now I'm getting ready to buy a road bike (used my old hybrid for Danskin) and I don't have anywhere to swim!  I have quite a few plans for 2007 - 1/2 marathon in April, sprint tri in June, oly tri in July, Danskin again in September, and a double century bike tour also in September.  Training in earnest starts next Tuesday for the 1/2 mary, and includes a fair bit of cross-training (ie bike or swim) so I can keep progressing there as well.  I have my plan printed out, it's just a matter of getting up and getting out when the alarm goes off in the morning!

2006-12-27 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Hi Kathy,

My name is Shannon and I live in Southern New Hampshire. I'm finally making the decision to act on my desire to compete in a triathlon. Based on what you've written, I feel you'd be the best person to give me advice in training!! I have 3 kids ranging in ages 3 to 6 years old. I'm a stay at home mom, so while I have hectic days, I have a bit of flexibility for a training schedule.

I'm going to be 36 soon and I'm tired of playing around. Since September '05, I've lost 34 pounds. I'd like to lose another 20 pounds which would put me on the lean side, but I know that's where I'll have the best energy since I've been at that weight before during my most active years.

I'm focusing on disciplining myself to workout consistently and to be in the best shape possible. I've been working out pretty regularly since August and have quite a ways to go to get myself in top cardio form, but I feel I have a good base right now to work with in order to push myself further. I'm certainly not starting as a couch potato! But, I really am the quintessential beginner.

I belong to a gym and my personal trainer put me on a strength training program that I do with him once a week and on my own 2 days a week (this is the second program he's put me on since September to keep my muscles in good form). Cardio is done no less than 3 days a week for 30 minutes.

My husband joined a second gym near his work, which will be opening a new branch in my town sometime in May. I'll start up a membership there at that time. It will have a pool where I can train.

Right now, I don't have an available pool although I can look into the local YMCA to see if I can pay as I go.

I have a mountain bike with road tires. Other than that, I have nothing in the way of equipment needed to train. I'm not sure what I need.

I'm excited to get started!! Thanks for doing this.

Edited by Shannon3 2006-12-27 10:13 AM
2006-12-27 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Kathy's awesome and anyone in her group is a lucky, lucky newbie.   She really knows how to inspire and motivate people by example and experience.

Welcome to BT.com!

2006-12-27 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Kathy,

Sign me up!  I've watched your discipline and dedication transform you into a totally new person.  Now, maybe you can help me get back on track.

I'm 37 years old and 3 years ago weighed in at 254 pounds.  I had never done a triathlon, but always had this secret dream of doing one.  I set my eye on a super sprint race and trained for a few months and did it and had a ball.  Later on that summer I went to my community's olympic distance race and watched the competitors and felt such an urge to be among them.  I realized that if I spent a year working towards it, I'd be able to do it.  It was great motivation for me - I knew that I would have to work at it for the entire year or I would never be able to complete the race.  I lost 52 pounds along the way, met fantastic people, and really grew to appreciate how much better my body felt when I incorporated regular exercise into it.

Well, I completed my race - felt fantastic with my accomplishment and then let life get in the way.  We moved, I changed jobs, and I just lost all motivation.  The pounds have started to creep back on (although I'm still down about 40 pounds from where I started 3 years ago).  Most of all, I want to get back out there and push myself again.

Goals for this season:

become consistent

chose an A race and train for it...and FOLLOW through

find someone local to bike with

pay attention to diet and get weight to below 200#

Debi

2006-12-27 4:10 PM

User image

, North Carolina

Hi Kathy,

I'd like to be in your group.  I'm at work right now so I can't log my life story but I promise to do it tonight.  Pleeeeease save me a spot!

Becky

2006-12-27 4:31 PM
in reply to: #633827

User image

Champion
MA

creck0927 - 2006-12-27 10:11 AM Kathy - I'd love to join your group! Here's a little background: I'm 43, full-time working mom with 3 kids (13,8 and 4), living in NJ. Last year I did my first tri (Philly Women's sprint) and placed in the bottom 20, but atleast I finished, which was my goal. Since last March, I've lost about 30 lbs, but have atleast another 30 lbs to go. I'm a slow loser, generally about one-lb/week, but I've been at a plateau for several months. My biggest issue is making the time to train. I'm not a great morning person, but I find that that's basically the only time I can get workouts done because most nights during the week I have to run atleast one of the kids somewhere (karate, soccer....). I belong to a gym near my office, and generally go at lunchtime atleast 4 days/week. I've been working out with a trainer 2 days/week there, but my last session with him will be this Friday (just got WAY too expensive). My husband got me 10-sessions at a new facility, for Christmas, but I haven't set those up yet. Will definitely have to be an early-AM workout. I also just signed up with a local tri/running coach. Right now we're just working on building my running base. I'm planning on a 10-mile race in late March, another in early May and then several sprint races in July/August. I guess that's about it for me. Let me know if I can give you any more background/information. Carol

Carol, Welcome to our group...I'm excited to see your progress. You have great goals and working with both a trainer and run/tri coach, you have set yourself up for success.

Congrats on the weight loss. It seems that it is more of a struggle as we get closer to our goal weights.

We have a lot in common which makes this even more fun....kids, working, about the same age.

If you haven't started I'd encourage you to use your blog to put in your workouts and share stuff you are going through if you feel like it. I use my blog more and more and sort of go on and one. I find it fun to look back and find milestones from the past and it helps motivate me and it is like a diary.

10 mile race in March is awesome......I did my first 1/2 Mary this year and it was a changer for me...made me feel like a real runner. I look forward to seeing your run progress thru the months! 

2006-12-27 4:36 PM
in reply to: #633865

User image

Champion
MA
maxpixie - 2006-12-27 10:38 AM

Hi Kathy!  Can I join up?  I'm so glad you're mentoring, you're really an inspiration around here!  I was torn between being a mentor and having one, but I think I'd like a mentor for this year and perhaps next year I'll carry the torch

I'm Christine, a 31 y.o. full-time working mom of 1 (Zach, 3 y.o.) and wife to a police officer (Chris) here in NJ.  Between working, mom-ing, and my husband's schedule, finding time to train is my biggest issue.  I got talked into doing the Danskin tri last June, starting from the couch, and loved every minute!  I did several running races in 2006, my longest being a 10K the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  I've lost 12 lbs, I'm also a slow lb-loser, and I probably have another 12 to go.  Not a lot, comparatively, but eating healthy is a huge challenge - with a picky pre-K eater and a husband who's never home (or craves steak when he is!) I don't always make good choices. 

Right now I'm getting ready to buy a road bike (used my old hybrid for Danskin) and I don't have anywhere to swim!  I have quite a few plans for 2007 - 1/2 marathon in April, sprint tri in June, oly tri in July, Danskin again in September, and a double century bike tour also in September.  Training in earnest starts next Tuesday for the 1/2 mary, and includes a fair bit of cross-training (ie bike or swim) so I can keep progressing there as well.  I have my plan printed out, it's just a matter of getting up and getting out when the alarm goes off in the morning!

Christine, welcome to the group...glad to have you with us!

Buying a new big is so fun and a big step, fit is key and be sure to shop around a lot to find the best bike for you. I did my first tri on a cross bike and averaged a whopping 12 mph. A road bike makes a huge difference and is so fun to ride.

Wow you are doing your first 1/2 Mary...that is excellant and a great way to build up your endurance and lose weight. Just be careful to build slowly which you will following your plan. What training plan are you using for your 1/2 Mary?

I hear you with kids and eating. Now I eat different than my kids many nights, but when the kids were little and my husband always traveling it was easy to go to McDonalds or eat kid friendly food that isn't so good for me.

I'd encourage you to post your workouts to your blog so it is easy for all of us to check in on you. Post both the good and bad things that happen so we can encourage you.

I'm looking forward to watching your progess and see all the amazing things you will do this year!

2006-12-27 8:15 PM
in reply to: #633907

User image

Champion
MA

Shannon3 - 2006-12-27 11:10 AM Hi Kathy, My name is Shannon and I live in Southern New Hampshire. I'm finally making the decision to act on my desire to compete in a triathlon. Based on what you've written, I feel you'd be the best person to give me advice in training!! I have 3 kids ranging in ages 3 to 6 years old. I'm a stay at home mom, so while I have hectic days, I have a bit of flexibility for a training schedule. I'm going to be 36 soon and I'm tired of playing around. Since September '05, I've lost 34 pounds. I'd like to lose another 20 pounds which would put me on the lean side, but I know that's where I'll have the best energy since I've been at that weight before during my most active years. I'm focusing on disciplining myself to workout consistently and to be in the best shape possible. I've been working out pretty regularly since August and have quite a ways to go to get myself in top cardio form, but I feel I have a good base right now to work with in order to push myself further. I'm certainly not starting as a couch potato! But, I really am the quintessential beginner. I belong to a gym and my personal trainer put me on a strength training program that I do with him once a week and on my own 2 days a week (this is the second program he's put me on since September to keep my muscles in good form). Cardio is done no less than 3 days a week for 30 minutes. My husband joined a second gym near his work, which will be opening a new branch in my town sometime in May. I'll start up a membership there at that time. It will have a pool where I can train. Right now, I don't have an available pool although I can look into the local YMCA to see if I can pay as I go. I have a mountain bike with road tires. Other than that, I have nothing in the way of equipment needed to train. I'm not sure what I need. I'm excited to get started!! Thanks for doing this.

Shannon....welcome to our group and your adventure to becoming a triathlete!!

Super that you are working with a trainer and doing strength training 3x a week..it is so good for women to do that as it helps us keep injury free in our tri training, maintain/build LBM and look great! I'd suggest you look at some of the BT training plans to maybe zero in on some training in swim/run/bike. Plus it is a good time to look at some triathlons for next summer. Believe it or not some fill up when it still in the winter. I'd suggest doing a sprint distance race for your first race. Living in MA, I know some of the NH races but there are many smaller races that are good first time races.

Congrats on the weight loss!! Training, being a Mom to 5 kids, I hear you about being flexible. Today my 4th had a impromptu Birthday party to go to and tonight was a swim night, couldn't do it. So I got up and went to the pool before work to get my swim workout in. I try to be creative in when I workout and plan my training around my kids activities.

I'd encourage you to use your blog to track your workouts and it helps us see what you are doing to encourage and support you. Questions post them here and we all can answer and add what we can.

This will be a great adventure!

2006-12-27 8:20 PM
in reply to: #634272

User image

Champion
MA
imnotjoking - 2006-12-27 3:17 PM

Kathy,

Sign me up!  I've watched your discipline and dedication transform you into a totally new person.  Now, maybe you can help me get back on track.

I'm 37 years old and 3 years ago weighed in at 254 pounds.  I had never done a triathlon, but always had this secret dream of doing one.  I set my eye on a super sprint race and trained for a few months and did it and had a ball.  Later on that summer I went to my community's olympic distance race and watched the competitors and felt such an urge to be among them.  I realized that if I spent a year working towards it, I'd be able to do it.  It was great motivation for me - I knew that I would have to work at it for the entire year or I would never be able to complete the race.  I lost 52 pounds along the way, met fantastic people, and really grew to appreciate how much better my body felt when I incorporated regular exercise into it.

Well, I completed my race - felt fantastic with my accomplishment and then let life get in the way.  We moved, I changed jobs, and I just lost all motivation.  The pounds have started to creep back on (although I'm still down about 40 pounds from where I started 3 years ago).  Most of all, I want to get back out there and push myself again.

Goals for this season:

become consistent

chose an A race and train for it...and FOLLOW through

find someone local to bike with

pay attention to diet and get weight to below 200#

Debi

Debi...really excited you joined our group!! I know you can achieve your goals.....and you have some great ones laid out. I think the first thing folks need to do to achieve big and new things is set a goal or goals to help guide them and motivate them to go for it. You have that nailed!

You should be proud that in difficult times you kept most of the weight off and are now rededicating yourself to achieving your weight loss goals. I've had ups and downs and my loss hasn't been linear, but I keep plugging along and over time the number lost keeps going up.

Consistency....great goal....do you have a training plan or race or races you are considering for an A race this summer? A races are best towards the end of the season as we have more time living up North to train...ideally late August or early September.

Can't wait to see your progress and consistency in 2007! Glad you joined Debi, I feel honored!

2006-12-27 8:23 PM
in reply to: #634437

User image

Champion
MA
rmarzano - 2006-12-27 5:10 PM

Hi Kathy,

I'd like to be in your group.  I'm at work right now so I can't log my life story but I promise to do it tonight.  Pleeeeease save me a spot!

Becky

[/QUOTE

Becky....glad you posted and I totally understand not having time to post during work hours. Today I could read what everyone wrote but didn't have time to post back.

When time permits share what you can and we have you in our group. If you haven't been using your blog for training I'd encourage you to do so...helps me and everyone see what you have been doing and it is a great way to measure your progress. I often go back 1-2 years and compare my run times on a route or see how fast I was swimming or something back then.

For a kick you can go back and read my old race reports...click on my race button on my blog. I have my very first tri race report listed. I joined BT the week before my first tri. All these tools on BT are great!

2006-12-27 8:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: KathyG's group- Full

So what is everyone doing tomorrow for their workouts? Is it hard to get training in with kids home from school?

I am doing strength training during lunch at the work gym and then after dinner doing a bike trainer ride that will be challenging. My middle daughter Shasha often watches TV with me while I ride the trainer and she helps me by adjusting the fan, fast forwarding thru the commericals if we are watching Tivo, and she makes funny comments....last one I was breathing louder than 5 panting dogs. I'm afraid my workout on the trainer tomorrow is going to be another panting dog workout.

My trainer workout is about an hour long (can vary as this will be my first time doing it so some experimention), but sometimes I do extra and try to get to a certain calorie burned level...a little motivation to keep pedaling.

I achieved something today I've been working at for the last two months...swam 8x100 yds each under 2:00. I like setting little goals just a little bit faster/ahead of where I am so I have both long and short goals to help motivate me to push harder and work hard.

2006-12-28 5:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Hi Kathy,

Luckily my husband is supportive and is giving me time to go to the gym while the kids are home for the break. He's been coming home early since work is super slow for him right now. If I can't get to the gym, I'm able to do my gym routine at home since it doesn't include the huge nautilus equipment. Typically, I go to the gym on the days when my youngest two are in preschool....my oldest is the only one in school full time.

I guess I should invest in a bike trainer for days when it's snowy and/or icy. Do you have any suggestions as to the brand and cost?

What do you think of Spinning classes as a way to train for cycling?

And that's great you reached your swim goal!! I like the tip about setting mini goals to help push yourself to improve.

Today I'm doing cardio since I did strength yesterday. I do full body circuits on my strength days along with cardio and on the other days, I just do cardio.

Jeff, my husband, caught a flu, so I'll have to settle for the elliptical in the basement. But, I guess I should really use the treadmill as my main source to work on distance and time if I can't get outdoors.

I need to work on a schedule for what to train for on particular days.
2006-12-28 6:43 AM
in reply to: #634908

User image

Champion
MA

I hope your husband gets better quickly..the flu isn't fun. I hope he doesn't share!

The trainer I have is a cycleops Fluid trainer and I shopped around for the best price and on ebay it was about $210 with shipping 2 years ago. Fluid trainers are smoother and lots quieter which can be key if kids are sleeping. It is a great investment for training with kids as even in the summer when you can ride outside, sometimes you need to watch the kids. I ride my trainer with my kids in the room. We tivo our favorite shows and I only watch them riding the trainer..it adds some family fun to training.

Spinning classes can be good. You need to know what your goals are and keep within those. Often people hammer pretty hard and if you are doing an aerobic ride, you don't want your HR sky high. Now is the time to be building your aerobic base so hard intervals are not the best.

Do you train by HR? Do you have a heart rate moniter? If you do it is easier to train by heart rate zones to make sure you are training at the correct intensity.

It is a great idea to set up a training plan. First thing to consider is how much time do you have to train. Then you may want to look at the BT training plans to get some ideas. You can always move the days around to work for you. Ideally you would s/b/r each 2 times a week or 3 if you can fit it in. Strength training 2-3 times a week is great. Free time is always the consideration here. If you find one, let me know and I can take a look or help you tweak it if you want.

Good luck on the elliptical!

2006-12-28 6:46 AM

User image

Champion
MA

How is everyone this morning?

Anyone interested in doing a short January weight loss jump start thing? No competition just support and great way to start off the year to continue our goal of losing weight. Just share and encourage each other...your weight can be private or public your choice.

I'd pick a modest target like 3 pounds which for me is actually a lot for a month.

2006-12-28 6:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Hi Kathy,

I'll look into that trainer, thanks.

I had figured on using HR to monitor my training and by you mentioning it, it confirms for me to use that as a guage. I'm making my list of things to buy! LOL.

As for the weight loss, I'm in. It'll help me focus on eating more cleanly. I'm OK with my caloric intake, but I tend to choose foods that look good (I'm not opposed to eating Chinese takeout for breakfast, LOL).
2006-12-28 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Yea for accountability!  I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked and I didn't really have enough time to get a run in this morning before heading off for work....but I did make myself throw my running gear into  my work stuff.

My biggest obstacle is lack of time.  I leave the house at 8:15 and don't get home until almost 6.  My kids are 10, 7 and 5, so I feel like evenings really need to be devoted to them once I get them in bed I'm wiped out.  I work as a children's librarian and I really like my job, but I do resent how much time it takes away from my family.  I've been in my current job for a year and it's the first time that I've worked this much.  Before I always worked part-time and had lots of flexibiltiy. 

One of my goals this year is to take the time for myself and make this happen.  I love the idea of a weight-loss challenge - it seems like all of us have that as a goal.  I weighed in this morning at 215 and would like to be down to 210 by the end of January.

Today's plan is to run 3 miles at lunch.

Have a great day, everyone!

Debi

2006-12-28 9:39 AM

User image

, North Carolina

The Truth Is …
I must be absolutely crazy … I’m 55 and have no athletic background at all … and I've decided to tackle 3 sports at one time.  I’m so excited that sometimes I can’t even sleep at night.  I love the training … the drills … the discovery of something that makes me faster … the days when it doesn’t come together … the sweetness of the days when it does … I love it all.

A Little About Me …
Two years ago I went in for my physical and the doctor said I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, my weight was in the obese range, and I was one doughnut away from a heart attack.  Yikes … I waddled straight to the gym and started working out with a trainer.  I didn’t know a bicep from a tricep from a hamstring but I learned quickly and worked my way back to a fit and healthy body.

What Happened Next …
My daughter is a triathlete and a mentor on this site (kmarzano).  She dared me to go a step further and try a 5K … so on Mother’s Day weekend I did just that.  She actually flew home (from Chicago) to run beside me.  She introduced me to BT and her enthusiasm lit a fire in me.  The next thing I knew I had run several 5Ks … I got brave enough to get on a bike … and I jumped in the pool.  She said it sounded suspiciously like I was beginning to “train” for a tri and wanted to know if I was secretly planning to kick her butt one day … ha ha … you can bet your worn out sneakers I am!

What's Coming Up ...
I’ve been working with a tri coach since September and will start training with a TNT group this spring for the Boulder 5430 Sprint in June.  I’ve got a mixed bag of runs, rides, and tri’s planned for my first season … it’s going to be an awesome year!

Why KathyG’s Group …
I think you’re an amazing person … wife, mother, career woman, triathlete … you recognize the importance of taking care of yourself and have made it a priority.  Your positive attitude, discipline, and ability to balance “life” have made you a role model to others ... you are just the kind of company I want with me on my journey …

2006-12-28 10:02 AM
in reply to: #635030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
rmarzano - 2006-12-28 10:39 AM

I’m 55 and have no athletic background at all …

Becky,

This is what I love....I, too have no athletic background.  I've always been really envious of those who are athletic.  I've watched and wished that I could be one of them.  I finally just decided that I was done watching and that I wanted to be out there among them.  I was terrified at my first race that someone would laugh at me and tell me that I did not belong (and I worried so much about what to wear...how to cover up all that pale flub)....what I found when I got out there on race day was that no one cared how out of shape I was....in fact, I think that people have great admiration for those of us who are not athletic who just get out there and try.  (That's not to say that it wouldn't be the sweetest thing to kick your daughter's butt someday - I know I love to race my kids (and win))

Debi

2006-12-28 12:02 PM
in reply to: #635030

User image

Champion
MA
rmarzano - 2006-12-28 10:39 AM

The Truth Is …
I must be absolutely crazy … I’m 55 and have no athletic background at all … and I've decided to tackle 3 sports at one time.  I’m so excited that sometimes I can’t even sleep at night.  I love the training … the drills … the discovery of something that makes me faster … the days when it doesn’t come together … the sweetness of the days when it does … I love it all.

A Little About Me …
Two years ago I went in for my physical and the doctor said I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, my weight was in the obese range, and I was one doughnut away from a heart attack.  Yikes … I waddled straight to the gym and started working out with a trainer.  I didn’t know a bicep from a tricep from a hamstring but I learned quickly and worked my way back to a fit and healthy body.

What Happened Next …
My daughter is a triathlete and a mentor on this site (kmarzano).  She dared me to go a step further and try a 5K … so on Mother’s Day weekend I did just that.  She actually flew home (from Chicago) to run beside me.  She introduced me to BT and her enthusiasm lit a fire in me.  The next thing I knew I had run several 5Ks … I got brave enough to get on a bike … and I jumped in the pool.  She said it sounded suspiciously like I was beginning to “train” for a tri and wanted to know if I was secretly planning to kick her butt one day … ha ha … you can bet your worn out sneakers I am!

What's Coming Up ...
I’ve been working with a tri coach since September and will start training with a TNT group this spring for the Boulder 5430 Sprint in June.  I’ve got a mixed bag of runs, rides, and tri’s planned for my first season … it’s going to be an awesome year!

Why KathyG’s Group …
I think you’re an amazing person … wife, mother, career woman, triathlete … you recognize the importance of taking care of yourself and have made it a priority.  Your positive attitude, discipline, and ability to balance “life” have made you a role model to others ... you are just the kind of company I want with me on my journey …

Becky, I'm so glad you joined our group...you have a lot of spunk and it will awesome to watch you develop and do many amazing things!

You have made so many positive steps already, 5K's, signed up with a coach, have goals, all which will help keep you on the path to fitness and better health while having a blast.

A little competition between mother and daughter how fun!

My daughter Emily & I did two sprints together this year. First one, when the results were posted I was surprised why are our names right next to each other are they in alpha order? No turns out we were 4 seconds apart...I probably beat her in transition. She ran my bike time and I ran her bike time. It has motivated to keep working on getting faster as when she catches me, she'll be faster for a long time. She is 12 now. She is looking forward to many more rematches!

Good job at using your training blog...great way to keep up to date on your workouts! 

2006-12-28 12:08 PM

User image

, North Carolina

A quick note ... our internet crashed at home so I'm limited to reading/posting from work.  I'll catch up on my logs when Dell gets the fix to us.  I'm thrilled to be part of this group.

The blizzard of 2006 has slowed us down a bit in Colorado and a sequel is arriving as I type ... I see more trainer rides and treadmill runs in the near future ... and a good upper body workout as we dig our way out again.  In the likely event that our office is closed tomorrow ... let me say Happy New Year ... we are going to ROCK the triathlon world in 2007.

2006-12-28 2:23 PM

User image

Williamstown, NJ
I had my RMR tested this morning, and the trainer determined that I'm not eating enough (!!) and that might be why I've been at a weight-loss plateau for the last 8 weeks or so. I've been avg'ing about 1200 calories/day and he said on my training days I need to up it to 1650 and non-training days should be 1350. Going to track everything I eat, and see how this goes. Mentally it will be a hard adjustment for me, to ADD calories in order to lose weight, but I undertand the concept behind it. Hopefully I'll see the numbers on the scale start to drop again.

Carol
2006-12-28 6:46 PM
in reply to: #635618

User image

Champion
MA

Carol, good information on calories needed and I hope that will help you break your plateau as you are working hard at this. Carol on your training days how long do you workout and what do you typically do?

I started using Calorie King (free trial run download for a week) about a month ago, recording everything I eat and adding back in calories burned in excercise. Most programs overestimate calories burned so I'm conservative on that. I have a power meter on my bike that accurately measure Kilo Joules of energry I produce that can be converted into calories burned. The program takes me about 5 minutes a day and I love how easy it is to use. Another BTer recommended it well actually a lot of them did. I can even add homemade stuff or custom food easily to calculate how much 1 cup of homemade soup or homemade xxx has in it.

My base is about 1325 calories plus I normally add back in on average 650 for excercise so I eat around 1900 or so a day, some days more some days less.  Today I will workout 1.5-2 hours depending how long my trainer ride is and actually will struggle to eat enough. I not still conviced I'm eating the right level but by playing around over the next month or so I hope to zero in on proper amount of calories. A bit strange is that I am less hungry days I work out a lot and more hungry on rest days and rest weeks.

My other thought is sometimes it is just easy to lose and sometimes it isn't. I wonder if working at losing for a long time comes into play now and again.

Other tips I have adopted aret:
1. Eat more carbs early in the day and less late in the day
2. Eat less in evening than in am/noon
3. Eat a bigger breakfast with protein than most women do
4. Strive to eat food in its most natural form...avoid processed food as much as possible

I now eat normally 400 calorie breakfast and more if I'm going for a long bike. I try to get in 1000 calories by mid-afternoon and less than 500 and even better less than 400 after 6pm.

2006-12-28 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Ha!! I knew I picked the right mentor! Kathy, everything you wrote in your latest reply totally makes sense and is (in my head at least) what I try to follow. For me it's not so much what I don't know as it is what I don't do. I need to actually do what I know to do...I'm working on it

You're a great example to follow.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's group- Full Rss Feed  

of 11