BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's group- Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-02-16 6:06 PM
in reply to: #632158

Subject: RE: KathyG's group- Full
Kathy-

Could you enlighten me a bit about how this rest/recovery week works? do you train hard one week and then do slightly less than that the next week and does it come at a certain time, like a few weeks before a race or is it something you should just build into your training?

2007-02-19 6:39 AM

User image

, North Carolina

We've had a fun time in South Carolina and we're headed back to Denver this afternoon.  I posted my race report.  Running through the shark tunnel was awesome! 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=66756&posts=1&start=1

2007-02-19 6:55 AM
in reply to: #693499

User image

Champion
MA

joolsee - 2007-02-16 7:06 PM Kathy- Could you enlighten me a bit about how this rest/recovery week works? do you train hard one week and then do slightly less than that the next week and does it come at a certain time, like a few weeks before a race or is it something you should just build into your training?

In training your body actually absorbs the training while you rest/recover. That is why taking one day off each week is important as is sleeping well and enough all the time is key. On a bigger scale having a rest/recovery week every 3rd (like I do) or 4th (most common) you are allowing your body to get stronger and recover from the hard work you did during your regular weeks.

Most all training plans you find on-line or here on BT have a rest/recovery weeks built into them.

For me a rest/recovery week has no intense training meaning super hard efforts...no intervals...most everything is done in an aerobic manner easy breathing and the longer efforts are shorter. As this is my 4th tri season, I'm doing two a day workouts on my rest/recovery weeks but that is new. A general rule of thumb would be total workout time would be about 50-70% of what you normally do and you want to do probably 2 workout in each s/r/b during the week.

Example for me this week is a rest/recovery week:
I'm swimming 4 times but all are longer set so swimming atleast 300-400 yds which means I'll be going easier.... I normally swim 50-65 minutes at a time and this weeks swims will be more 30-40 minutes

Bikes: This week I'm just doing aerbic rides which are easier. My long rides are now 35-40 miles this week if weather allows outside I'll do 20-25 miles.

Run: If I was running (recovering from injury), normal weeks I run one long 6-9 miles, 1 medium, 1 intervals and maybe off the bike, but in a rest week my long run would be 3-4 miles, and I'd run maybe 15-30 minutes two other times

Strength: Normal weeks I do 3 sets of 8-10 in most things, rest weeks I do one set and only one instead of two days of strength.

Before a tri, many folks panic and try to get in more workouts to make sure they are prepared. Best thing to do is the last week before you race do fewer workouts and have it be like a rest/recovery week but instead of doing everything aerobic, during your workouts put in a couple fast paced intervals so your body is used to going at the faster pace. Many folks taper for key races and it allows your body to fully absorb your training and peak for a big race. I do it for my A races twice a year and find it helps me do my absolute best.

2007-02-19 7:42 PM
in reply to: #690130

User image

Champion
MA
Shannon3 - 2007-02-14 9:42 AM

Hi Kathy,

I found a website with loads of workouts and there's one for swimming that I'd like you to review and let me know if you think it's effective to do.  Since I don't have access to a pool yet, I figured my next best option is to work on my strength in the meantime.  I tried out the first one I asked you to review and I didn't like it, so here's another:

www.netfit.co.uk/swimming-web.htm 

Thanks!!  And I love those goals you posted on your blog. 

The swim weight training looks good. When I hurt my rotator cuff back my first year, I did PT and then did strength training to help strengthen my rotator cuff and they look very similar, but the website you have has more things to do.

2007-02-19 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Awesome!  Thanks for checking it out, Kathy.  I feel better that it will be an effective workout for swim.  Hope you had a great holiday weekend!
2007-02-19 10:39 PM
in reply to: #695162

User image

Champion
MA

Everyone needs to check out Becky's race report for her 5K this past weekend:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=66756&posts=1&start=1

She placed 2nd in her AG, top 25% Overall and kicked butt and ran sub 8:30 miles...pretty darn impressive.

I think we have a confirmed runner in our group

2007-02-20 7:04 PM

Hey everyone! How was everybody's weekends? I had a little lag in my training program, not sure why but I fell into a funk but thankfully I'm out of it!

Congrats Becky, I checked out your race report...very impressive and very inspiring!!! I have I think 11 weeks till my first tri so I'm getting excited!

I'm also headed out this next weekend for a weekend away from the kids (4yr and 2yr) with a bunch of girlfriends, I can't wait to let some steam off!!

Good luck everybody on their training this week!!!

2007-02-21 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in and say HI.  Congrats again on your race Becky! 

I'm headed to New Orleans this weekend.  My husband is running his second marathon (first in 10 years) and I'll run the 5k then run around trying to spectate.  Neither one of us has ever been there, so we're staying in town 'til Wednesday... a mini vacation as I'll be on spring break from school (*YES*).  We're also really psyched about the race.... Tom has been training since my marathon (he ran a half that day) back at the end of October and I'm sooooo ready to have my man back!!    Due to all the training and a stomach issue that has since been improved he's lost about 30 pounds in the last year and is positively skeletal... totally bums me out.  I'm not into the Kenyan look, I guess. 

Anyway, should be a good and inspiring weekend!  I hope you all have fun, too. 
jaclyn

2007-02-22 12:26 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Good luck to you and Tom!!

My brother and his wife just got back from New Orleans and had a great time. They went there on their honeymoon about 2 years ago and said everything is back to how it was in the tourist section.

Enjoy the mini-vacation and time away from school! 

2007-02-23 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

I've been reading Ironman reports because they're amazing and inspiring and I"m just really curious.  I don't understand a bunch of the slang though and its really impressed on me that this is a totally new sport to me. 

What is MDot?  What are special needs bags?  Are wetsuit stripping volunteers an Ironman thing or a triathlon thing?  What else... oh yeah what is the deal with Heart Rate Monitors?  I know that a lot of people use them these days but I've intentionally ignored the hype and now I must admit that I don't know what they do and why they're helpful. 

I was getting all excited dreaming about doing an ironman one day and then I read a report and just looked at the times.  Over an hour in the lake!!  Over 6 on a bike!!  and then another 4 or 5 hours to run!! 

wowzers.  those guys definitely deserve to be called ironmen.

jaclyn

2007-02-24 7:56 AM
in reply to: #701145

User image

Champion
MA
sushigirl - 2007-02-23 4:01 PM

What is MDot?   It is the company that owns the trademark Ironman...they put on the "official" ironman distance races. Some independent companies put on races the same distances but they are not afflicated with MDot.

What are special needs bags? You can put in things you may need on the run or bike. They have the bags about 1/2 thru the bike and run...you can stop and get more nutrition, new socks, whatever you think you may need you put in there and hope you won't need it. They do it for safety as the race is long and conditions change.

Are wetsuit stripping volunteers an Ironman thing or a triathlon thing? I was a wetsuit stripper at IMFL. If you swim 2.4 miles you can be pretty cold and your hands don't work so well so having someone whip off your wetsuit is very helpful. Normally they only have wetsuit strippers at Ironman distances races.

What else... oh yeah what is the deal with Heart Rate Monitors?  I know that a lot of people use them these days but I've intentionally ignored the hype and now I must admit that I don't know what they do and why they're helpful. 

Yep HRM are very helpful. It helps make sure you train in the right HR zones. Most folks train to hard on easy days and to easy on hard days. HRM keeps you honest and I think helps you get the most bang for your buck so to speak so you get the best results for the time you spend training. 

I was getting all excited dreaming about doing an ironman one day and then I read a report and just looked at the times.  Over an hour in the lake!!  Over 6 on a bike!!  and then another 4 or 5 hours to run!! 

wowzers.  those guys definitely deserve to be called ironmen.  Agreed! I dream of doing one someday...but going and seeing one made it more real and actually scared me quite a bit. I realize to do one I need to be fitter and in better shape and really have the time to committ to train....imagine every weekend doing a 5-7 hour bike ride and a 2-3 hour run and those are only 2 of your 10 workouts a week. It is tough with a family.

An hour in the lake is fast as is 6 on the bike...most folks are like 1:15-1:20 in the lake, and around 6:30-7 on the bike... 

2007-02-24 10:31 AM
in reply to: #701727

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Thanks so much for all the answers Kathy.  I kind of go through phases of obsession with new hobbies/sports... I definitely did it when I first started running and now I can't get my hands on enough info about tris.... its so fascinating!! 

So now I want a HRM.  Too bad my b-day isn't until July.   

And about the training for an Ironman... I just CANNOT fathom how people can get that much training in and still deal with the rest of their lives!!  Honestly, I am already dreading giving my life over to another season of Marathon training- that was just a beast.  And with kids, a job... seriously I don't know how you would do it.  ("you" in general, not you specifically!).  I kind of wish I could go do it now while I can (full time student but no other responsibilities for the time being).  Of course, that's how I feel about kids too, but I don't see either happening any time soon. 

Have a great weekend!
Jaclyn

2007-02-26 8:09 PM

User image

Champion
MA

How was everyone's weekend? I know someone ran a 5K, others did some long bikes...was it good?

Month is coming to a close and it is always good to look back and see what you did well and what you can improve upon.

Have fun training and enjoy the journey! 

2007-02-26 10:41 PM
in reply to: #704264

My weekend was pretty good for stress relief, I went on a girls outing to a beach house on the cliff during a storm..it was awesome! I got in one good walk in but more than anything, I got myself reenergized for training. WHOO HOOO...Hope everybody had a good weekend!!
2007-02-26 11:20 PM

User image

New user
oh dang!

it's been way too long since I've been back here! I appologize profusely - I promise my meager efforts to update on BT aren't transferring into workouts, though. I haven't even had time to log all of those, either... sigh.

Well, all around things are really looking great. I'm officially up and registered with TNT, and I have 3 mentors and 2 coaches to guide me more easily on my road to the CapTexTri in the end of May. In order to support the cause (and get me across the finish line!) you can go to www.active.com/donate/tntntx/watchdonahoogo to donate. Tax deductible, and no donation is too small! My first donation was from a BT member running for the same cause in CO! (THANKS RMARZANO!!)

Swam tonight. If my math is right, I did about 900m in half an hour total. A little bit was warmup, then 750 straight, and then some slower conditioning stuff and a cooldown. I <3 water - must be the pisces in me!

Anyway. I turn 18 Friday, so then I won't be restricted from TNT team workouts for not having a parent.

How was everyone's weekend?
2007-02-28 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Here's my race report:

Hi gang,
Just in from New Orleans! DH and I headed down there (flying through Chi-town *just* before the storm shut the place down) Saturday evening as he was running the marathon (his first in 13 years) and I was running the 5k and support crew.

PRE-RACE: Turns out there is a major medical conference in town this week and we got stuck waiting in line with all of them for a shuttle. Didn't get into the hotel 'till late. Tom discovered his Garmin batteries were dead & I decided I was hungry so we wandered into our fairly sketch-o-rific neighborhood (north on Canal Street) to find both. Found a Walgreens and stocked up on H20, granola bars, batteries, and gummy Curious Georges. Big Grin After all that it was after 9 so we decided to order in... Dominos it is. Crashed on a full stomach. Frowner

RACE DAY: Alarm went off at 5am and we crawled out and got gear ready. Since we had arrived late we still had to go pick up our packets (which woulda freaked ME out big time had I been doing a marathon... but my man's from Hawaii and totally a *no problem* type). So- out the door to the Superdome in the pitch black. They were still just setting up the start/finish line when we got there. We got our bright purple mardigras race t-shirts (cotton short sleeve for me/high-tech long sleeve but one size too small for him and the half-marathoners). Tom realized he didn't have his knee band so we decided to go back to the hotel since there was still an hour till the marathon/half marathon start.

Ran back from the hotel and stretched, people watched near the start. It was chilly but nothing like WINTER like where we'd come from. Tom was having issues getting hooked up with a satelite for his Garmin and was lucky the start was a bit late. And then at a little after 7am they were off!! Between the race t-shirts and the substantial TNT presence it was quite the sea of purple!!

A little before 7:15 we 5k-ers lined up (the whole time the marathon & half marathoners were still starting the race which was a little odd...). I stood next to and chatted with another woman whose husband was in the marathon. She mentioned she wanted her husband to do Goofy and I broke it to her that it was full... etc. etc. Then we were off!!

I haven't run a 5k in years and years and can't even remember what my PR. The first race I ever ran in 2000 was 33 and I know in Chicago at some point I ran 27 something. After the marathon last fall, ITBS recovery this winter, Disney in Januaray and now starting tri-training I needed a break, mentally. At the start I decided to JUST.RUN. So I did and it felt really good. I barely caught the first mile marker and looked down- 8:12:xx. Okay... I feel okay, and thought I just might be able to hang on. At the same time, I gave myself permission not to, if it wasn't going to happen. I just went with it. Didn't see any other mile markers which made that easier.

The course was a lap around the dome, then down Poydras to a turn around, back to and past the dome, another turn around and then back to the finish in front of the dome. I started really huffing and I could totally feel that I was pushing but I decided to try to keep up the pace. I was hot and my shins hurt. I could see the stadium looming ahead for for-ever. Finally could see the final turn around. I passed this guy who'd started walking and cheered him on "you're almost there, man!!" but he didn't start running.

There was this other tiny little lady in front of me with Lone Star running shorts and she started in with a walking break. I passed her, did the turn around and heard her start running. Determined not to let her pass me, I pushed it into what high gear I had left and took off. I was wearing my running skirt and was a tad worried about where it was going due to my longer than usual strides! Smiler

And then I was at homestretch, with the bridge above and the photographer and there was no one else- JUST ME! And there was only 25:12 on the clock. So I booked it and flew in and finished!! My final time was 25:15. I was *13th* in all the women... not age group... TOTAL!! When my husband told me that I freaked!! There were only 193 women total, but STILL!! totally excited.

So back to the important race... I ran back to the hotel, showered in 5 seconds, got dressed, slapped a cap on and ran back to the dome to catch my man at the halfway point (he came in just under 2:01:xx. He looked good and I gave him some water and gummies. As he headed back around the Dome I walked to find a cab... that took forever too. Finally found one, got dropped off, and walked to mile 17. I only made it about 5 minutes before he did. It was in a lovely New Orleans neighborhood. Saw the man then sat down to wait for him to come back on the way back in. REALLY enjoyed cheering on the runners. It was a relatively small race (just over 1,000 marathoners) and not many spectators.

It was starting to get warm and there were sparse water stops, so when Tom headed back past me I let him take my water bottle to fill up his. He looked hot and tired, but was still running strong. He passed and I headed out to find another taxi back to the dome. Took a day and a half to get a taxi. I'd told Tom I might not make it before he finished, but I really wanted too and I got panicked when no one was stopping... and I didn't feel like walking the 4 miles back!!

Finally, someone stopped and got me there, I ran the blocks through the stopped traffic and ran up to the finish chute about 60 seconds before he came hurtling through!!! He nailed, I mean nailed 4:00. I think officially 4:00:21. He was bummed because his hams had cramped up (was probably dehydrated after training in winter/running in summer) right after I'd left him. BUT he was happy to finihs strong.

POST-RACE: We headed back up to the upper Dome and were thrilled to find: red beans and rice, a serve yourself beer truck, subway, and fruit & bananas. Unfortunately the only water and gatorade was down at the finish line... so we were forced to tank up on beer. Big Grin

The medals were pretty hideous- Tom's is large with lime green enamel and mardi gras masks, mine is small with enameled mardi gras masks and both have the traditional purple, green, yellow neck bands. Okay, not terrible but the lime enamel is pretty grody. Wink

ANYWAY, this is getting long- it was a fun, fun day and the longer post race involved a lot (too much) delicious food- jambalaya, gumbo, fish, fish, fish, crayfish, crab, beignets, etc. etc. now *I* really need to run a marathon!!

Cheers for reading, we both recommend the race.
jaclyn

2007-02-28 11:02 PM

User image

New user
holy! amazing job and such a strong finisher!CONGRATS to you both! Sounds like you deserve every bit of the feast, to me!
2007-03-01 6:23 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Jaclyn,

Congrats on an amazing 5K!! You are fast and you beat your PB by a lot whoo hoooo!!

13th women overall, man that is awesome!

I love how you were there to support your man and how you just got to each spot in time to cheer Tom on...great time and finish for him as well.

We have a speedy group of women here!

I suspect we will see wonderful things from you this season. Cross training for tris often makes runners faster than when they just ran....and you are in the early part of the season.

2007-03-02 5:55 PM
in reply to: #704434

User image

Champion
MA

rebelrunner - 2007-02-27 12:20 AM oh dang! it's been way too long since I've been back here! I appologize profusely - I promise my meager efforts to update on BT aren't transferring into workouts, though. I haven't even had time to log all of those, either... sigh. Well, all around things are really looking great. I'm officially up and registered with TNT, and I have 3 mentors and 2 coaches to guide me more easily on my road to the CapTexTri in the end of May.

In order to support the cause (and get me across the finish line!) you can go to www.active. Anyway. I turn 18 Friday, so then I won't be restricted from TNT team workouts for not having a parent. How was everyone's weekend?

Happy 18th Birthday!!!

I'm thrilled for you that you are able to train with the TNT folks...good work they do and great way to do your first tri! 

2007-03-04 11:06 AM
in reply to: #704434

Happy B-day!!!!
2007-03-05 8:38 AM

User image

, North Carolina

The snow fairy has not been kind to Colorado this winter but take a look at this week's forecast ... I think we finally beat her into submission.

TODAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAY
Mostly Sunny
Temp: 37 F
Hum: 58%
P: 30.32 in
Wind: 5mph S

Partly Sunny High 63F Low 30F

Partly Sunny High 62F Low 31F

Partly Sunny High 62F Low 31F

Partly Sunny High 57F Low 28F
Check the Past 24 Hour Conditions
High 58F Low 29F

Oh Happy Happy Me! 

2007-03-05 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Becky to much gloating!!

Tomorrow it is going to be high of 11 with windchill of 0. I'm supposed to ride 40 miles (not happening) and run 5k (happening).

You have had a brutal winter so you deserve it really.

2007-03-05 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Of our twin sons Kyle already was accepted to his current favorite college choice U of MN at Morris a few weeks ago.

Today Brian was accepted to U Mass Amherst.

He was awarded a small scholarship. He qualifies for free tuition as he passed state testing with High marks (tuition is maybe 20% of total cost); and he learned today as 2nd in his class he qualifies for a 10K scholarship potentially. It would mean college would almost be free if everything is additive. Of course he has applied to many other schools and may select them.

It is cool to have both our son's accpeted into places they would like to attend.

2007-03-05 10:09 PM
in reply to: #712716

Congrats Kathy, you have raised two wonderful boys (and a few girls I think) You should be very proud of both the boys and you and your hubby..now...what's the secret! I want my kids to grow up wanting to go off to college too!
2007-03-06 12:43 PM

User image

New user
yay for college! I have about 60-80% of my costs covered in scholarships to William Woods University in MO (very strong equestrian fields of study) and just sent in my application for the veterinary college at colorado state oh the anticipation, and congrats to your salutitorian! (sp?)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's group- Full Rss Feed  

of 11