Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-24 12:17 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: Lucy's Group- FULL :)

NAME: Lucy/Christine

STORY: I'm a 39 years old.  I once told my former brother in law I would do a triathlon before I turned 40.  I did my first sprint a few years ago.  I was a swimmer in high school.  I ran track but wasn't very good at it.  I tri because it's my escape and it's fun to compete, travel to races and get to meet and hang out with BTers.   I work part time which helps me train more.  I'm involved in Cub/Boy Scouting, we camp a lot.  I work as a hematology laboratory  technologist.

FAMILY STATUS: married 18 years with two boys ages 11 and 13.

CURRENT TRAINING: I usually follow a BT training plan. No coach.  I am doing two Oly's and a bunch of sprints this year.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Gasparilla Half Marathon, St Anthony's Olympic Triathlon, Morton Plant Mease Sprint Triathlon, Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon. 

2007 RACES:  same as above but with a few other road races and maybe a couple more sprints.

WEIGHTLOSS: are you kidding me?  I'm 5/4 and 160ish pounds.  I'm still trying here but it's super hard for me.  I blame it on genetics.  I guess the support would have to go both ways in this area.

Edited by Lucy 2007-01-04 2:25 PM

2006-12-29 2:01 PM
in reply to: #632616

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Lucy's Group- OPEN
2006-12-30 10:14 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

ba-bump.

2007-01-01 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lucy,

If you are still wanting to mentor someone, I am that person. We have some common ground we share, I am 45, 5'4" and weigh 155 lbs, I feel I'm in pretty good condition. I have been a race walker for years and done well in road races, I started running 6 months ago and have now done my first 5k in 30:08, and my first 4k yesterday in 23:49. I'm always looking for that next physical/mental challenge... I found that in August... I told my husband there was a sprint triathlon only 12 miles from our house and I would like to go watch it. WELL, I said after it was over, I want to do this next year, I have to say I thought my weight and build would hold me back a bit, but once I read up on people doing Tri's I realized I didn't have to be a certain size to do this. So here I am ready for the new year and very ready to begin my journey to the sprint tri...

Let me tell you the extent of my training so far. I have been running mostly, biking (my favorite) and swimming some at the ymca (not favorite)! My daughter helps my with the running because she runs cross country and track in college at the present time. My husband bought me a nice bike to ride last year and some land rollers for cross training. So what I need now is someone with experience to get me to and through my first "Sprint Tri", that is you if you will accept me.

Sincerely,
Amy Mutz - Sprint Tri bound
2007-01-03 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just wanted to let you know I joined another group of my peers, and we have already got started.

Amy
2007-01-03 12:39 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

BUMP!!! 

My group is really quiet.  I was sort of waiting for it to fill up.... the previous poster got bored and has found another group.   

Anyone??  Bueller??

2007-01-03 1:10 PM
in reply to: #640727

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Not to worry

The Mentor group had a big burst of activity right before the holidays and it is expected to pick up again (As new folks sign up) shortly.

You have a good story that will surely resonate well with a lot of incoming peeps.

Hope you have a much fun with it has I have
2007-01-03 4:13 PM

Hi Lucy,
Can I join your group? I've been on BT for awhile but don't post often, just lurk mainly. I'm Amy I'll be 30 in october, also live in central florida. 5'5" and 155 ish. I did 1 super sprint in clermont last year. I'm married with an almost 7 year old daughter and could always use some motivation. I swam competitively when I was younger so the swim is no problem, I'm solid on the bike, but oh that run. I swear I'm the worlds worst runner. my plans for this year is an aquabike in march, danskin at disney, and hopefully a sprint or 2 in clermont. look forward to hearing from you.

Amy
2007-01-03 5:31 PM

New user

Lucy,
Hi. I would like to join your mentoring group if possible.
My name is Elise, 27 years old, from Upstate New York. I'm new to this. I plan to attempt my first tri this summer. For the past 6 months, I've been getting excited reading about triathlon, plotting, developing a fitness base, etc. Now I'm ready to start some focused training. Would really appreciate your help, and that of the other group members.

My current training is: running 30-40 mins 3x/week, swimming lessons and technique practice 2x/week, sporadic indoor biking (haven't been making it to spin classes lately), weight training. The outdoor biking will be a big challenge for me in the spring, as I'm new to road biking.

I plan to follow one of the beginner training plans on this site.

Hope there's room for me to join your group.

Thanks,
Elise
2007-01-03 6:18 PM
in reply to: #641325

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

yay! and then there were two!! 

Amy and Elise:  check your training logs and PM's  (inbox, upper left corner under the BT logo).

Edited by Lucy 2007-01-03 6:24 PM
2007-01-04 12:04 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion

How 'bout a third person??

I'm Kori, 36 years old, married 10 years with 2 kids: an autsitic son who is 9, and a 6 1/2 year old daughter. After being a stay-at-home mom for 8 + years I recently went back to work at an elementary school working in the special ed. program for autistic kids. I love it!!

I've always been active but was a dancer before I was an "athlete." I gave up dancing a looong time ago, stayed active running and working out at the gym for the most part doing step and weights.  My husband used to do triathlons over a decade ago so I was always intrigued with the idea but thought "never." A friend of mine approached me about doing a sprint two summers ago so I said "why not?" We are members at a club with a ton of triathletes so it was sort of infectious and a logical next step since I was getting bored with the regular routine of mine. It was the most fun I'd had working out since my dancing days, and for me that says a lot. Dancing was my life for many years. I trained and did an all-women's sprint (my only tri) and had a total blast! I loved it...all aspects of it. I am hooked!

Current training/Goals: My husband and I are training for a half marathon on the 21st (of THIS month! YIKES!) and I am planning another 1/2 marathon in May. I also want to do an olympic distance triathlon this summer (June) and re-visit the all-women's sprint tri I did to blow my time out of the water! Maybe I'll add in another run or cycling event.

Weight loss goals: I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds. It might make the runing hurt less!Smile I am mainly looking for support in my training but an additional "atta girl" or "drop the cookie...NOW!" would be a total BONUS!

So...am I in??Laughing

Look forward to this training season!!

2007-01-04 7:08 AM
in reply to: #641630

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

WE have Three!!  Welcome, Kori!!

i used to love going to the country clubs when I was younger and dance all night.  However, now i"m older, married with kids and my hubby can't two step to save his life.  My jeans would stick to my legs, which made going to the bathroom an adventure.   I miss it!! 

anyways...  I'm sure that's not your type of dancing! 

Two more and we'll really get things moving. 

2007-01-04 9:50 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
2007-01-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: #641325

User image

Master
State of Confusion

Erow - 2007-01-03 5:31 PM Lucy, Hi. I would like to join your mentoring group if possible. My name is Elise, 27 years old, from Upstate New York. I'm new to this. I plan to attempt my first tri this summer. For the past 6 months, I've been getting excited reading about triathlon, plotting, developing a fitness base, etc. Now I'm ready to start some focused training. Would really appreciate your help, and that of the other group members. My current training is: running 30-40 mins 3x/week, swimming lessons and technique practice 2x/week, sporadic indoor biking (haven't been making it to spin classes lately), weight training. The outdoor biking will be a big challenge for me in the spring, as I'm new to road biking. I plan to follow one of the beginner training plans on this site. Hope there's room for me to join your group. Thanks, Elise

Hey Elise,

When I started cycling I was really nervous about riding outside in traffic. It didn't take long to get used to it, and find routes where there were few cars. It was fun in the beginning just cruising around mapping out routes. Now I love it, and I am not scared at all. But I am also lucky to live in a very biker friendly community.

I look forward to training together!

Kori

2007-01-04 12:25 PM

Can I get in on this? I am in Central Florida and have been tossing this idea around for some time. I run between 4 and 8 miles a few times a week and I bike w/ my husband on a tandam about 25 miles a couple of times a week, but I am a spaz in the water. I know how to swinm, but the endurance just isn't there. I have no experience with races and I am 40 yrs old.
2007-01-04 12:32 PM
in reply to: #642286

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

of corse!  Sounds like the Danskin race would be up your alley, or the Moss Point sprints...  Running seems like your strong point, you will be the runner of this group! 

You could get a beginner training program off of here, import it to your training log.  Easy cheezy.

I'm not 40 yet....  but soonnnn......ahhh!!

Do you have a bike?

2007-01-04 12:33 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

Woot!!  So far we got

Amy erow
Elise amc82199
Kori NightOwl
Kerryanne  kerryanne

one more. 

2007-01-04 12:36 PM
in reply to: #642293

Yes, I have a bike. My Hubby is a triathlete and is very supportive.
2007-01-04 12:39 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

Let me put some more about myself here.  

I work part time in a hospital laboratory.  I work an 8 hr shift 3x/week.  I'm also seeking other employment as I have for the past couple years but no luck.   When I'm off, I post every now and then as I putter about the house.  I'm occassionally in BT chat at night.  If I'm working, we have NO BT access so I won't be on line that day till at least 5 or 6pm EST. 

I don't do Weight Watchers or FitDay.  I tried FitDay but it was a pain figuring it out.   What I really do is try to follow Joel's (TH3_FRB)  "diet" philosophy.   (click here to read it)
I have two boys, both in middle school.....  yeah.   One of them is very not athletic and the other one likes basketball and flag football.  He's a BIG dude.  Almost as big as me.  They both really like Scouts, though, and this is the little one's last year as a Cub before he crosses over to Boy Scouts and my role will be less demanding, the MEN take over! (yesss!!)

I hate running.  Most of the time.  I am always looking for excuses not to run and this really has got to stop. 

I"m a quiet person in real life.  I think I'm the invisible Central FL BT'er.  Always seen but never heard..... 

Edited by Lucy 2007-01-04 1:03 PM
2007-01-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: #642293

I am not sure how this works? I actually just joined this site because I saw your group and it looked like axactly what I am looking for. Do I choose my own program? Can you suggest one for me? And then how do we become a group?
2007-01-04 12:48 PM
in reply to: #642303

ok sounds like we have a lot in common. I have a daughter in middle school. She used to swim for a club team, but hasn't in a few years. We did scouts, too. I was the scout leader and I managed to survive. We quit when she graduated to Cadette. At that time we moved from Clermont (where I had no problem staying fit) to "the city". We were there 15 months and I gained 1 lb per month! Poor me. We moved back to Clermont and as I said I am back out there running, but the weight isn't budging. I figure if I give myself a goal, such as a sprint, that may take the focus off of weight loss. Maybe it will all come together. Just so you know, I am shy. People who know me say that isn't true, but I wouldn't lie to you. And I hate not having spell check!

Kerryanne

2007-01-04 12:53 PM
in reply to: #642305

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

Basically the Mentor Program (which is a new thing this year, btw) is to guide the brand spanking new folks on BT through the site, give them encouragement and answer any questions they may have.  Our Grand Poobah, Ron, suggested we take up a few folks and take them under our wing and help them out. 

If you go to the homepage, there's a whole mess of training plans, depending on the level of membership you get.  The Gold plans are more detailed, but you can do just as well with a simple plan.  They have "Couch-to-Sprint" programs as well as more advanced programs for all levels of fitness and distances up to Ironman.  Also programs for running, couch to 5K, half marathon, marathon.    ummmm... take a gander at it by clicking here

and, check out your training logs.   They are free.  There's a link on the top of the page 

and the button that says "logs".   Log    It will take you to that person's log (or yours).  Record your training there, you can even import plans to tell you what to do that day.  That way, you can look back and see how far you've come in time.  I need a plan to tell me what to do, otherwise I won't train.   I'm weird that way.

As how do we become a group?  We already are.  As you can see, there's a bunch of groups already set up.  If distance allows, I may even go to a race and get to meet ya'll!  Or we can just get together one night in BT chat. 

any more questions?  Im of to pick up my kids from school....

2007-01-04 2:07 PM

I need help!!! I have been reading all the material I can on doing a sprint tri. It is hard to weed through all the stuff and focus on what's important. I want to do my first sprint in may. I am currently running 3-5 miles 3 times a week, but I have no base in swimming or cycling. Do you have any advice?

Thanks
len31
2007-01-04 2:11 PM
in reply to: #642435

I'm with you, Len. Welcome aboard!

Kerryanne
2007-01-04 2:26 PM
in reply to: #642435

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

WOOT! we're filled up!

Len...I'll get back to you later this evening.  In the meantime, tell us a lil bit about yourself.

welcome

Christine

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lucy's Group- FULL :) Rss Feed  

of 2