BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-06-06 8:02 PM
in reply to: #633548

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
Julie and Bonnie - Good luck this weekend. I'm so excited for you Julie. You will have so much fun. I can't wait to hear about it.

Sarah

2007-06-06 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Oh Carol - yes, the weather was perfect and greatly contributed to my time. Smooth water, no wind on the bike, minuscule hills, very flat run. Different conditions and a more challenging course would have slowed me down considerably. You will do great at Danskin!

Sarah
2007-06-13 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Julie!!!! How'd it go? I looked for you on race day but didn't see you. Did you love it?

Please let us know cause I know all the ladies and Nato were rooting for you

Upcoming races anyone? Let us know so we can cheer you all on!
2007-06-13 6:58 PM

User image

Hey y'all,

Thanks for the cheering section. I posted my race this morning, so for specifics go check it out!

It was quite the initiation!! I should have known what I was in for when I couldn't find my timing chip (strapped to my backpack, as I discovered 10 min. after frantically searching)! Once I got in the water and warmed up I seemed o.k. Then, 2 min. into my swim, I felt like I was being choked by the wetsuit. I eventually loosened it some, but I couldn't alt. breathe like I usually do....just this every breath, one sided breathing which I'm not used to. Needless to say I was glad to get out of the lake.

My T1 was SLOW, tho getting out of the wetsuit was easier than anticipated.
Bike went well, but at mile 6 my knee started complaining.
My T2 was better, tho I took the time to stretch my hamstrings (good choice, btw).
I felt the brick in my legs for at least 1/4 mile, ran more than I walked, but it was TOUGH! I definitely need to train w/longer runs! Yucky rain during run matched my attitude about running.

Chiro adjustment at the end was very nice.

Anyway, details under my "Races".

Oh, Bonnie, Congrats on your Oly! I read your race log, sounds like you did great! Oh, btw, I was the one wearing the fushia swim cap!!

Julie
2007-06-13 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Yeah Julie - way to go on your successful tri. It looks like you had a really good race. Too bad for the wet suit trouble. I can empathize. At least you looked great in it! Did your trisuit work well on the bike? When is your next one?

Bonnie - sounds like you had a good workout with a few twists. What are you going to do during your Ironman? Can you race with a catheter? I am so excited about Coeur d'Alene. What does that mean anyway? I just can't wait to hear how it goes. Are you nervous? Confident? Any concerns?

What is everyone else doing?

The 1/2 marathon training is killing me. Why does there have to be so much running! I'm focusing on weight loss to relieve my poor, aching knees.

Tonight's bike wreck didn't help my knees any. Why do I have to lose my balance while standing on one leg? Life's great mystery.

Saray
2007-06-14 11:10 AM

User image

Sarah--You're my hero for even attempting to train for HIM! I have taken this entire week off training to let my knees and shoulder recover. I have an appt. w/sports chiro tomorrow, then will ease back into bike/run...not sure about the swim yet.

To answer about the trisuit: I loved it! It was comfortable, non-binding and I didn't feel wet after the swim. I'm not real "busty" so was able to get by w/the built-in support. I encountered 2 others wearing the same one (Danskin) and we all joked w/each other. I didn't even notice not having alot of seat padding, tho my cushy girl seat helped. I also will be taking my bike in today to have the shop look at what adjustments/new equipment it will take to prevent my ongoing knee problem (it only occurs on this bike). I can crush the hills in the gym because I can micro-adjust the spin bikes and experience not even a twinge of pain. If I hit some hard hills or try to keep a higher speed on my road bike, my knee screams at me 30 mins. into the ride. X-fingers for a fix.

I haven't even looked at any other races, yet, but maybe an Aug. sprint locally would be fun.

Can't wait to hear about everyone's plans!!

Julie

2007-06-14 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Did you think I said 1/2 IRON MAN? What a compliment! No it's 1/2 marathon.

I will sign up for HIM right after you!
2007-06-15 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Julie - Again Awesome job on the race this weekend!

Sarah - You could so do a 1/2 IM Congrats on signing up for the 1/2 mary. You will rock!

Let's see Ironman and how I'm feeling....I'm posting lots of thoughts and stuff in my logs here on BT as well as the speedleopard.com blog but the short answer is:

EXCITED!!!! I just can't wait to get there and get started. It's like having a baby or getting married, all this energy and time preparing and getting yourself as ready as possible and off we go in just 9 days.

I'm #2079 if you want to track me online. I really appreciate all your support. I love getting the little messages and hearing about all your progress so keep it coming
2007-06-21 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Bonnie - what are you doing in all of your recovery spare time? Catching up on laundry? Soap operas? All of the things you haven't had time to do in the last 6 months? No, probably mental training, visualizing, etc.

I want to wish you all of the best on your big day. You are trained. You are ready. You are an endurance animal. You will do great.

Whenever you get tired, listen closely and you will hear me cheering you on.

GO BONNIE!!!
2007-06-21 10:52 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Sarah - You are too funny! Yep to all of the above I spent time with friends I hadn't seen in a while, I went to my sister's baby shower in California, I went to a wedding, slept, and did all the prep for the big trip.

Thanks for all the good vibes, positive energy and thoughts this weekend. You ladies are all awesome and I appreciate your support! I've been blogging about the experience here if you're bored tomorrow and want to read about it.

How's the training coming for all of you? Any big races coming up?
2007-06-23 12:15 AM

New user
Renton, WA
I am sending positive thoughts your way Bonnie for the big one tomorrow in Cour de Alene (or however you spell that place) !!

I am having a hard time staying motivated this week, don't want to do anything but sleep, and eat which I have given up premanently it seems. Allergies have been bad, but that is no excuse I know.

Carol

2007-06-24 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
"We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it, but sail we must and not drift nor lie at anchor." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Carol - sounds like the wind is shifting and making progress more difficult. Think of how far you have come, know that you do not want to drift or anchor, push ahead. The wind will shift again. You have put too much into your great success to lose ground now.

Get some rest. Take some allergy medicine. Make a small goal to achieve this week: drink enough water, veggies, stay OP, whatever.

You are worth it!!

Sarah
2007-06-24 7:19 PM

New user
Renton, WA
Thanks Sarah
2007-07-02 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Bonnie,

I've been waiting for the race report and just finished reading it after taking 2 potty breaks, having a snack, putting my daughter to bed and filing my nails. I think they grew while I was reading!

Just kidding. I love the detail. Reading about how you felt and the crazy fans makes me want to sign up. The swim sounded wild. Bootylicious cracked me up almost as much as the lady waving the stuffed Elmo.

Congratulations on a fabulously successful race. I am so proud of you.

Sarah
2007-08-19 11:08 PM

New user
Renton, WA
Subject: Seattle Danskin
I haven't been on the forum for ages, first was too busy training , then went on vacation for 2 weeks.

The Seattle Danskin was today and I DID IT!!!! It was so much fun, the weather was cold and rainy but I finished in 2:04 which was better than I had hoped.

Last night I nearly died of nerves, but was fine this morning, and the swim went really well. I had attended three open water swim clinics last month and it was very rough and windy every time so the calm water this morning was great.

I lost 23 lbs, and learned to swim. great 65th birthday present to myself.

Carol
2007-08-20 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Yeah Carol. You are a triathlete! Fabulous job on your race. I don't remember you mentioning your age before, but completeing your first event at the age most people begin to coast earns even more of my respect. I am so proud of you.

Are you doing a race report? I would love to read it.

Sarah

2007-08-21 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Awesome job Carol!!!!! I was thinking about you Sunday as I was swim angeling in the cool water of Lake Washington and hoping you were having a great race in spite of the rain. I'd love to read your race report.

We are all so proud of you!!!!
2007-08-21 2:53 PM

New user
Renton, WA
Thanks Sarah & Bonnie, I am still basking in the glow of completing the race. I posted my race log, you should be able to see it now.

I wish I had know you were one of the swim angels Bonnie, I could have met you. thanks for being out there for us.

I'm already planning and looking forward to next year. I saw in the Seattle Times that the oldest entrant was 80, I am going for her record

Carol
2007-08-23 12:35 PM

User image

Wow Carol,

Enjoyed reading your race log! Congrats to you!!! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one struggling w/the run part! I read the book "Chi Running" and am trying to incorporate some of the suggestions into my training. School starts in 12 days so I hope to get back into a routine.

Do you take a break now? You deserve one!

Julie

2007-08-23 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Carol - I enjoyed reading about your race. I bet the swim was a breeze after practicing in rough conditions. You did awesome!!

Julie - I've read magazine articles about Chi running and think about the principles when I run, but I have no idea if I'm actually doing it or not. How is it working for you? Can you tell a major difference or only slight modifications?

Sarah
2007-08-23 2:42 PM

User image

Sarah,
I've only tried it once and was very frustrated...1) I hadn't run in 8 wks and got very winded, 2) I think I was overthinking it and making it harder than it should have been, 3) I talked my husband into going w/me and he intimidates me 'cause he runs w/no effort at all! Anyway, I intend to hit the ground running, literally, 1st week of Sept.

Our library has both the book and the video......I would recommend the video if you can find it!

Happy running......if there is such a thing!
Julie

2007-09-07 8:58 AM

User image

New user
well....I'm going to be signing up for my first race...not a tri, but I'll be doing a 5k on november 3rd....after walking/jogging more often I know I'll be able to finish...now I have a goal for my time to be under an 11 minute per mile split....

2007-09-07 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Yeah Nate! Signing up for a race is a big motivator and an 11 min/mile is pretty ambitious. I can't wait to hear about it. I know your wife is so proud of you.

One week from Sunday is my 1/2 marathon. I am anxious to get it over with. I much prefer the variety of tri training and the raising $$ is nerve wracking. I've accumulated $3,000 for the Leukemia Society!!!

However, I have $2,300 remaining that will be charged to my credit card this week. I will be eternally grateful to anyone willing to donate via my website. Any amout is awesome: $5 or $500 every dollar makes a difference.

http://www.active.com/donate/tntok/runsarahrun

2007-09-07 11:29 PM

New user
Renton, WA
Good luck on your funraiser Sarah. hope my little bit helps.
Carol
2007-09-08 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Carol, you are awesome! Thank you!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11