BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2006-12-26 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
NAME: leopard8996 / Bonnie
STORY: I'm a Project Manager from Beaverton, OR who grew up in Kona watching the IM. During and after college I gained a lot of weight and 4 years ago decided to start changing my life. I discovered that triathlon was a great sport and started losing weight and going faster and longer with the goal being to finish the IM myself
FAMILY STATUS: Married w/4 cats
CURRENT TRAINING: I train by time and due to being a bigger athlete try to spend as much time on the bike as possible while still getting my run training in. I generally train alone but with Ironman training on the horizon I plan to start training with others this season.
LAST YEAR'S RACES: Sprint @ Hawthorne Farms (placed 1st in Athena AG), Olympic @ Blue Lake (cut 50min off PB), 1/2 Ironman @ Musselman (7:43 in 100+ degree heat)
2007 RACES: Ironman Coeur d'Alene - June 24, 2007
WEIGHTLOSS: Lost 150lbs doing triathlon and Weight Watchers in the last few years. So far I've gone from a Size 34W to a 16

Edited by leopard8996 2007-01-16 10:06 AM

2006-12-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: #633548

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - OPEN
2006-12-31 12:20 AM

User image

New user
I'd like to join this group if you're still interested in taking people.

here's my story:

I've been on and off weight watchers for the last 6 years....on again for the last 3 months and have really bought into the plan this time. I've committed myself completely to getting the weight off. I was a 3 sport athlete in high school that gained over 100 lbs after my sports career ended after my second year of college. after getting back on the exercise bike this time, I decided that I was inspired to train for a triathlon, for several reasons

1. to add some variety and a goal for my fitness training

2. to recapture some of the glory of competition

3. to prove to myself that I can accomplish something that's not an easy thing to do

4. I was inspired by the father that started doing triathlons with his parapalegic son in tow

5. I want to show off for my wife

6. I want to be a role model for my daughter so she doesn't fall into the same trap of being overweight like I did

I've picked a sprint race to do in the summer of 2008. I have decided to wait until then because I will need some time to get my walking/running up to par. (and because I want to be a spectator at a race before I jump in...) I've lost 34 lbs in the last 11 weeks and 61 from my highest point a few years ago. I have about 30 more lbs to go before I'll be at a point where I can start jogging I think. currently I'm up to 45-60 minutes of high intensity on the exercise bike 5-6 times a week, and will be adding swimming in the next month. my goal for my first race is to just finish....I don't care about time...I just want to finish

I live in the milwaukee, wi area and I'm a computer tech by day, photographer by moonlight...so far I've talked two of my friends into doing this with me...but as none of us has a clue on how to train, I thought I'd sign in here....I'll be pointing my buds in this direction as well.

{edit} forgot to add...I'm 33, married with a 2 1/2 year old baby girl

Edited by nato 2006-12-31 12:38 AM
2007-01-01 6:21 PM
in reply to: #637625

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Nato - Welcome to my group

Congrats on your accomplishments so far. I'm looking forward to helping in whatever way I can for you to accomplish your goals which are all totally achievable (probably even sooner than 2008)
2007-01-02 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Bonnie and Nato,

I would like your training group. Bonnie I chose your group because I am impressed with your accomplishments in weight loss, your commitment to change, and your progressive Tri events. Way to go.

I live in Edmond, Oklahoma and I'm training with a group of neighbors for the Centennial Olympic Triathlon on June 10th. This will be our first event. We are doing an Olympic distance instead of a sprint only because it is our state's centennial and the event is in a great location. We have a lot of support with little knowledge and no experience!

I want to do a triathlon to set a high goal, work hard, and achieve the thrill of accomplishment. I left my marketing carreer to raise my daughter. She is six years old. Raising her is a high goal which requires hard work, but little thrill of accomplishment. I have become an author. My first book, a biography, was a high goal, hard work, and my client took his disc and ran at the end of the project. He hasn't even given me a copy of the book!

I also want to achieve a greater level of fitness. I am a lifetime WW member but have re-gained 60% of the weight I lost. For the past year-plus I have worked out consistently, but without any goals or real measurable success. I'm ready to change that.

My husband is going to compete with me, however we will do most of our training separately so one of us can be with our daughter.

We are using the Olympic 2X Balanced 20 week plan from the web site. It is 22.5 weeks until the event, so now I am working into a routine and working up to the beginning level. Yesterday I ran for 30 minutes, today I swam 40 minutes. Both experiences were very humbling and motivational.

I want to continue with WW while I'm training. Typically I need to stay very close to my points target without using flex points or activity points in order to lose 2 lbs. a week. I think it is because my body runs pretty efficiently -- I have a low resting HR and low BP and low metabolism. This should play to my advantage later, but I'm wondering how to best manage my points while training. I'm guessing I should eat some of my activity points. Any advice? What do you do?

As I mentioned, I'm a writer - so I could go on forever.

All for now.

Sarah Ray
2007-01-02 1:36 PM

User image

Leesburg,
Hi, Bonnie, I'd love to join your group. My A races this year are St. Anthony's, IMFL 70.3, Disney Olympic, and IMFL. I am tall (6'1"), older (55), and heavier (not tellin!). Could certainly use the companionship and support as I train for IMFL! Talk to you all soon ~~

kate

2007-01-02 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
WOO HOO!!! Welcome Sara and Kate

I'm so excited to have you both as part of my group.

It looks like we have 2 spots left and then we'll have a full house.

Congrats on all of the great goals everyone has laid out. Following a weight loss program while pursuing triathlon goals can be a challenge especially when our mentality can be one of "shoot, I rode my bike for (insert time here) so surely I can treat myself to that (insert favorite treat here). Unfortunately I can tell you from personal experience that's not usually a good way to reward yourself

As for following WW while training I do eat at least 50% of all Activity Points earned as well as eating all of my regular points each day. I tend to skip or only use a few of my "flex points". I have also found that doing CORE every once in a while really shakes up my system if I get into a slump.

I'm looking forward to answering all of your questions and helping you get to your goals as best as I can these next few months.
2007-01-03 12:33 AM

Hello Bonnie & everyone! I'm so glad to see this mentor program, as I am brand-new to triathlons and triathlon training. I feel I can relate to your personal story (and the others in the group), and would love to work with you.

I have a long way to go, but have spent the past 3 hours checking out BT and am really excited. I pretty sure I'm going to use Michael Pate's Total Sprint, since it's a start-from-zero plan. I have been going to Curves (a challenge with a friend at work) for a little while now, and recently started walking (ocassionally with a friend who is a runner who recently completed her first marathon). In the past I've done some water aerobics, which I really liked. I met someone at the YWCO (on the treadmill next to me) who told me about the triathlon she's training for at Walt Disney World in May - she has lost 80 pounds and was quite inspirational to talk to. I'd love to be able to go with her, but I think May will be too soon for me (it's a month closer than MP's plan trains for). As several different areas in my life are coming together/gaining momentum/looking up (I'm trying to add weight and fitness to the bandwagon), it'd be really incredible to have finished a triathlon by my 27th birthday in July, but I'll have to see how it goes and if I need to try for a longer time frame. I would be ok with that - these are long-term changes I'm implementing. I do think it would be a great psychological victory, though! I haven't learned much about other races in which I might participate.

In the personal detail department, I'm 26 years old and a size 26 (I never caught that unfortunate coincidence before), and I work at the Humane Society here in Athens, GA... actually, I just became a Certified Animal Welfare Administrator (which was a goal I set for myself just over a year ago - great thrill and sense of accomplishment to have passed certification). I'll be finishing my long-overdue BA in May. I have four pet cats and one pet mouse - I adore them all!

Can't wait to work with you!

Rachel
2007-01-03 12:37 AM

I forgot to mention that I, also, am a WW veteran - I lost 40 pounds three years ago, but found them again a year and a half later (and some of their friends). I lost the 40 online by myself and have considered rejoining to do it again.

Rachel
2007-01-03 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bonnie,

Please tell me I'm not to late to be in this group. I tried another one but really haven't gotten any big response.

I'm sending this and then I'm going to tell you about myself in another reply. I don't want you to get full.

Amy Mutz
Indiana
2007-01-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: #640208

User image

Extreme Veteran
rachel,

Hey... You can do it!!!!!! We all can help each other here. I haven't done any tri yet either, but we are going to. I have one in August here in Indiana, and as soon as I can sign up I will, because then I won't back out.

Since I haven't really said why I'm here and my stats - here it goes.

I'm 45, was married 18 years, had 2 WONDERFUL CHILDREN, and a husband that loved other women more than he ever loved me. I trust my life to only one person and that is Jesus Christ, He gives me a wonderful outlook on life and death too for that matter. He has blessed me with: Love for myself, wonderful children, a new husband that loves me more than himself, and the drive to go for it and not worry about the mistakes, we will survive...

At my highest weight I was 189, at 5'4", so remember to love yourself at any weight. I started losing weight about 2 years ago, I have always been driven to exercise and walking was my thing so I had a goal of doing road races in the race walk division, did very well in that even at my top weight. Then I started wanting to run, just to see if I could do it....OMG it was one of the hardest things to get my body used to, couldn't even go a half block without huffing and puffing, I thought I was in good shape, I guess I was in pretty good shape, but running is different breathing all together, I have been running now for 6 months and can now go 7 miles without stopping(not fast) but thats ok, I have done 2 races with my daughter, she runs in college. We did a 5k on Thanksgiving (my first) did it in 30:08 and I did a 4k on New Years Eve.
There was a sprint triathlon about 12 miles from my house this past August, me and my husband went to watch........WOW, it made me so excited.... I told him that day after watching to the very last 70 something women... I am going to do this next year.
So, here I am...

Since you work for the Humane Society I know you are very sensitive and loving. You have set wonderful goals, and you can reach them.

Things that have helped me: walk anytime you get the chance, don't worry so much on speed as distance, walk in the rain (its great for the soul) walk in the wind, cold, just walk, drink green tea hot or cold and use splenday to sweeten ( I love splenda), don't eat after 7:00 pm. Just some things that helped me lose my weight, I weigh 160 right now, and my goal is 138.

I will be praying for your success...

Trisisters....ha

2007-01-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: #637625

User image

Extreme Veteran
hey nato,

we can be Trisibs (tri siblings) ha... keep working hard, you are being a great example to your daughter! Go for it!!!! Each day your better than the next you just don't realize it until 3 months down the road...

Amy (trisib)
2007-01-03 9:12 AM
in reply to: #639502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Kate,

I'm 45 and I think it's awsome that you are motivated... I respect you. We can all help each other.

Hope I get in the group!

Amy (Trisister)
2007-01-03 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
All right - we have a full house so to speak

I'm really looking forward to working with you all.

Welcome to Amy and Rachel.

I think I mentioned it in my intro but I'm in Oregon usually (although I'm in Baton Rouge, LA right now on business).

Have you all started a training log?
2007-01-03 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you.

I'm very excited!

Amy
2007-01-03 8:24 PM

I've started writing down everything, and am right now trying to set up my BT log, which I'm hoping to complete by the weekend.

Rachel

2007-01-04 3:27 AM
in reply to: #640645

User image

Leesburg,
Hi Group.

I have an electronic training program with Training Peaks. I'm not sure about the BT training logs, but I'll take a look at it soon ... after the Disney half marathon. It would be good to be able to share training information online. I'm going down to Walt Disney World today to get my race packet for the half on Saturday. It's always a good time when you can hang with the Mouse. I feel a little guilty for taking off training today and Friday, but I think it will help to have fresh legs for the race ... been banging them up kinda hard (for me, at least) the last couple of months in my Prep phase.

Everyone have a great day!
Kate
2007-01-04 6:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello All -

I am having so much fun! Changing my vocabulary from working out to training is COOL. I love to say that. I'm working on changing my "self talk" to all positive too. I realized yesterday how many times I've said "I hate running," since starting. That is changing to "I'm becoming a better runner."

Today is my day off so I agreed to give blood yesterday. Wow, that wiped me out. Feeling strong again and ready to jump back in tomorrow.

Yes, I've been using the training log. Can't wait to log a whole month so I can look at the charts and graphs.

How's everyone else doing?

Sarah Ray
2007-01-04 8:44 AM
in reply to: #641676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wow - have a great race saturday Kate!
2007-01-04 8:48 AM
in reply to: #641701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sarah,

Your right a positive attitude is everything.

I am logging my workouts on BT and that will keep me motivated knowing you can all check up on me, I'm ready for a great year of challenges...

God speed to everyone!

Amy
2007-01-04 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Kate - Have a great race!!!! It's definitely a good idea to take a day or 2 off completely prior to a longer distance race like a 1/2 marathon. For triathlon depending on your race distance this is called the Taper. During your taper you dramatically reduce the volume of your training, so you don't stop all together (always rest the full day prior to a race though) you just do shorter times and distances at a higher intensity. This keeps you feeling fresh and "itching" to get on to the race course.

Nato - Did we lose you? Please post if you are still planning to be part of the group

Rachel/Amy - Sounds like you are both starting to get the lingo.

Here's a few questions for everyone in my group that will help me to get to know you better:

In 2006 have you swam, biked or run?

If you did what was the furthest you went in each discipline?

What do you consider your strongest of the 3? Weakest?

Have a great day!

2007-01-04 11:03 AM

User image

New user
I'm still here...the only dude in the group..:D

I've set up a training schedule which is as follows:

M, W, F, - exercise bike high intensity - 40-60 minutes per
T, R - walking (and eventually jogging) - 20-30 minutes to start (incrementing over time as I adjust)

Sat - getting my bike out of the garage and hitting the road (if it's not snowy or rainy, in that case I'll be on the exercise bike) - 10-20 miles depending on feel

I will be adding the swimming in this fall to start training for my tri in 2008

I will be scheduling some rides for this summer though so I've got something to look forward to...
2007-01-04 11:10 AM
in reply to: #641988

User image

New user
leopard8996 - 2007-01-04 9:41 AM

Here's a few questions for everyone in my group that will help me to get to know you better:

1. In 2006 have you swam, biked or run?

2. If you did what was the furthest you went in each discipline?

3. What do you consider your strongest of the 3? Weakest?

1. yes, yes, no
2. no idea, 18 miles (exercise bike)
3. strongest - bike weakest - run
2007-01-04 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
QOTD:

In 2006 have you swam, biked or run? No events. Yes to all recreationally.

If you did what was the furthest you went in each discipline? discipline . . . um no.

What do you consider your strongest of the 3? Weakest? Swimming is my strongest event, running the weakest.

SR
2007-01-04 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Biked up to 16 miles, not a problem, definately my strength.

Ran up to 7 miles, I'm a so so runner, concerns me that the run it last in a sprint tri, hope to have energy left. I ran a 5k in 30:08 and 4k in23:49 in 2006. I started running 6 months ago, was a race walker for 6 years prior.

Swimming at the YMCA since October on and off.....like the water and like to swim, I JUST CAN'T BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP.

Amy in Indiana
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11