BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-04 5:57 PM
in reply to: #641988

User image

Leesburg,
Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
Thanks everyone on the good wishes for the half. It looks like it's going to be hot and humid. Gotta love sunny Florida in January.

I've been doing triathlons for a while. In 2006 I did four sprints and the Disney olympic, plus a ton of road races, the longest being a 15K (other than the half mary on Saturday). I've done century bikes and a bunch of marathons in years past. My swimming is OK but not great. Ditto with the running. I'm getting better on the bike, which is probably strongest of the three, but that's not saying much. Bottom line: with proper training, I'll always finish the event before the cutoff, regardless of the distance (I'm a stubborn old mule), and I'll always be at the back of the pack. But I'm grateful to be able to do them, and the feeling of hitting the finish line is indescribable!

Kate

2007-01-04 10:26 PM
in reply to: #641988

I'll add my good luck wishes for a great race, Kate!

As for the questions, allow me to reiterate that I am a *true* beginner! Part of the reason I am here is to have bigger goals than just "exercising" and to challenge myself. So with that knowledge, in 2006 I only biked (stationary) and walked (treadmill), and I never kept track of distances. My guess is that either biking or swimming will be my strongest (lighter in water, you know), and running will almost definitely be my weakest. While this week I am just walking and doing some resistance exercises (ok, to come clean, I go to Curves 3x a week with friends from work), and I'll be starting my tri training next week (it's weird for someone like me to call it that!). Do any of you use the training programs available on BT? I'm curious if you have any input on this one: it's Michael Pates' "total sprint" 'couch to sprint' program for anyone, designed to be workable even for those of us who're a bit bigger and not in great shape. You can find it on BT under free free sprint triathlon training programs.

On another note, I need some input: I have an unpleasant cold right now (like everyone at work). How do you all modify your training so you can recover from an illness?

Rachel

Edited by rrrrachel 2007-01-04 10:27 PM
2007-01-05 8:33 AM
in reply to: #642956

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rachel,

I really admire the goals you have set for yourself, and it's great your already going to curves.
On the training schedule, I think that a great one your starting with, I just started the BT sprint-run focused this week, I was on the other one for the last 2 months, but I have to say I fell away from the biking and swimming a bit, so know I'm back on schedule.

Remember: 1) you are in control 2) don't let anyone discourage you (we are here cheering you on) 3) Be very patient with your body, everyday that you train your body is changing for the better. 4) Read everything you can on running,swimming and biking, it's right here in front of you. 5) watch measurements-not weight...I'm the worlds worst with that and it only depresses me when I don't see weight coming off when I think it should be...your getting firmer and stronger.

Sorry for rambling...Ooops I was a cheerleading coach for 6 years...

About the cold...I don't back off if it is only a cold, if it's more let your body tell you what's best.

Did I mention I am scared to death to do my first sprint tri in August!

Everyone have a great weekend!!!!
2007-01-05 9:34 AM
in reply to: #642956

User image

Leesburg,
Hey, R...R...Rachael.

Here's my take, though I'm not a coach.

My body, when left to its own devices, will sit on its large arse and eat fries and drink bloody marys. Therefore, my first priority is to balance what my body WANTS to do and what my body NEEDS to do. It's a very fine balance, because I've got lots of "old fart" issues, so I tend to fall over the "Need" line a lot and consequently injure myself one way or the other. The bottom line for me is to develop a conversation with my body which isn't totally whacked out. Lots of times, that means being a somewhat strict disciplinarian. I'm my own best coach.

Transfer this to the cold you have: if you really feel cruddy, take a day or so off and get well. Use it as your rest day. The trick is to get back up off your arse after the recoup period and get on the ball again. I'm having trouble sitting still on my two-day taper, but I know it'll be on the line tomorrow morning, and I'll be glad then for the rest these past two days. (Aside: since I'm doing South Beach, I'm also having mental trouble carbing up. Toast is the enemy. But I'm doing it on the theory that at mile 12 I'll be glad for the long-chain glucose polymers sitting in my liver ready to be mobilized into action.)

Curves is a great program! Don't diss any kind of motion, however commercial or for-the-masses. It's always moving us in the right direction. And OF COURSE it's triathlon training. Think like a winner, be a winner. Society treats people with weight issues as second or third-class citizens. We just can't buy into that kind of logic, or we're doomed from the git-go. WE ARE OKAY JUST AS WE ARE. I might as well like me since I'm the only me I've got, and I'm moving forward. Skinny people are always surprised when I kick their ****** at the finish line.

Have a great day ~~ take care of yourself ~~ keep your eye on the prize.
Kate

Edited by Irnwmn 2007-01-05 10:07 AM
2007-01-05 1:01 PM
in reply to: #633548

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Kate that was extremely well said and I agree!

I started out going to Curves. For months I went to Curves and was getting frustrated that I wasn't losing weight. So I started Weight Watchers and kept going to Curves. When I did a 5k walk in December 2002 (3 months at WW/9 months at Curves) I thought I was going to die at the end. What I learned was that walking uses different muscles and systems than Curves. So I added walking in addition to Curves. Pretty soon I got to the point where no matter how intensely I attacked the Curves circuit I couldn't get my HR up or really break a sweat. I still weighed 295 or so and was starting training for my first sprint triathlon.

I haven't been back to Curves but they are an absolute cornerstone in my story. Going to Curves taught me that sweat is ok, it taught me that exercise can be fun and that you can get a lot accomplished in 30-45 min. I mostly stopped going because I couldn't fit tri training and Curves all into my schedule. Do what works for you though!

As for training when sick, if it's in your head or neck I usually go ahead and train, if it's chest or stomach I take a rest day.

Remember that rest is a key component of training. Without your body can't make those fitness gains that you are working so hard for.

It'd be great if everyone could post their planned activity for next week (Monday-Sunday) either here or in their training log. Make sure to make your log public if you want others to be able to see it

Have a great weekend!
2007-01-05 1:08 PM

User image

New user
I posted this above, but I'll detail it more here.

M - 60 minutes high intensity on exercise bike
T - 20 minute walk at medium intensity
W - 45 minutes high intensity on exercise bike
R - 20 minute walk at medium intensity
F - 50 minutes high intensity on exercise bike
Sa - 10 mile street ride (weather permitting) or 45 minutes high intensity on exercise bike
Su - Rest day

this will be the schedule I stick to pretty much every week until I add swimming in this fall.

2007-01-05 3:20 PM
in reply to: #643704

User image

Leesburg,
Here's my training for the week beginning next Monday:

Goals for the Week

1. Gradually increase loads in strength workouts.
2. Swim 3, Bike 2, Run 4 and Strength 2.
3. Run 90 minutes easy on Saturday.

Monday, January 8.

After warm up do 3-4 sets of resistance training. 10-15 reps with heavier loads.
1. Hip extension (squat, step-up, or leg press)
2. Seated row
3. Crunches/abdominals ( choice of exercise, 20-30 reps with light load)
4. Personal weakness (hamstring curl/knee extension, 20-30 reps with light load)
5. Standing straight-arm lat pull down
Cool down 5-10 minutes by spinning.

Tuesday, January 9.

1. Swim workout, 45 minutes.
Warm Up: All easy. 100 swim, 100 kick, 100 pull, 100 swim.
Main Set: 3 x 100 mod (10”), 1 min rest.
3 x 100 mod (10”), 1 min rest.
3 x 100 mod (10”),
4 x 75 kick (20”) done as 25 build, 25 fast, 25 easy.
Cool Down: 300 easy swim.
Total yardage: 1900

2. Run workout, 45 minutes. Easy pace but throw a few short intervals in for good measure.

Wednesday, January 10.

Bike 1 hour: Isolated Leg Training on trainer. After warm-up, alternate 20-60 seconds with 1 leg--other on a chair. Get a total of 7-10 minutes of ILT on each leg in workout. Alternate legs as you feel like it. Comfortably high cadence. Focus on eliminating dead spot at top of stroke by pushing toes forward in shoes at top.

Thursday, January 11th.

1. Swim 45 minutes.
Warm Up: 200 swim, 100 kick.
4 x 100 done as 25 kick, 25 R arm, 25 L arm, 25 swim.
Main set: 6 x 100 (20”) alternating 100 paddles and 100 fins.
300 kick moderate.
Cool Down: 100 easy swim.
Total yardage: 1700

2. Run 45 minutes. On soft but firm surface, heart rate in zone 1 only. Pretty form and quick cadence

Friday, January 12.

1. Run 30 minutes with a few intervals.
2. Strength workout same as Monday.

Saturday, January 13.

Swim 1 hour.
WU: 500 choice.
MS: 300 paddles and buoy moderate (30”).
300 buoy only moderate (30”).
300 swim moderate (30”).
300 fins moderate (30”).
CD: 500 easy.
Total: 2200

2. Run 1.5 hours. On soft but firm surface, heart rate in zone 1 only. Pretty form and quick cadence.

Sunday, January 14.

Bike 1.5 hours. Ride in the HR 1-2 zones on a mostly flat course (or indoor trainer). Include pedaling drills such as: a) try to drive pedal straight forward from 9 to 3 o'clock, b) pedal with foot against the top inside of your shoe trying to avoid touching the insole, c) try to touch toes to end of your shoes at top of downstroke. Stay as relaxed as you can while doing these drills. No tension in feet, legs, hands.

I may have to move a few workouts around in order to get it all done, but I'll get it all done by Sunday.
Have a great weekend, everyone.
Kate

Edited by Irnwmn 2007-01-05 3:23 PM
2007-01-06 9:09 PM
in reply to: #643704

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bonnie,

I will be doing the BT sprint-run focused 20 week training, I think my logs can be viewed, if not let my know what I need to change.

Thanks,
Amy
2007-01-06 10:34 PM

Wow, now I know why I am here - thanks so much for the words of wisdom and support. I admire you all so much. I was a Curves skeptic when I signed up, but you're right, it gets me moving (and motivates 2 friends at work, too!). If I hadn't been feeling empowered from the simple curves workout, I wouldn't have gone back to the Y to walk, I wouldn't have met the triathlete, I wouldn't be here! For now, I plan on continuing to go, and time (and my body) will tell how it works out with my tri training.

As for my cold, it never got as bad as I expected (when I posted, I thought it could go either way), and I'm already almost better now, unlike several people at work. One of the things I was worried about was that I'm not very used to listening to my body as you suggested - I've ignored it for a long time - and was unsure of what to do. Although I'm inexperienced, I'm already feeling more attentive to my body and motivated than in... well, I can't remember!

Today was my last workout day before rest tomorrow and then the start of my 'official' training program on Monday. This week I've been doing Curves plus 30 minutes walking afterwards, so I am going to try out the combination.

Monday
Swim: WU, Freestyle 50yds, CD 50 yds
Walk: 20 min

Tuesday
Curves (30 min + stretching)
Bike: 2mi

Wednesday
Walk: 20 min

Thursday
Off

Friday
Bike: 2mi

Saturday
Walk 25 min

Sunday
Bike: 2 mi

I am pretty nervous about the swimming, which I haven't done in maybe 15 years! Any suggestions for a nice, simple warm up? The freestyle may turn into some version that includes a kickboard so I can make it. Any suggestions here would be great, too (or good articles to read). I'll spend the tomorrow looking for good articles.

Rachel
2007-01-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: #645110

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rachel,

I just started my swimming again after um way to many years, and I just went to the Y during the earyly afternoon after lunch (not many people there at that time) and I just played around in the water walking in it, going under, floating etc... Get your barings before just taking off, watch the other people or if you have questions ask the like guard, they are very helpful Ifound.
I'm at the point of doing laps, but am still waiting to learn how to breath properly...

ANYONE READING THIS THAT HAS SUGGESTIONS PLEASE SENDING THEM TO AMY MUTZ...

I am proud of you Rachel, let me know how things go next week.

Amy
2007-01-07 11:36 AM
in reply to: #645284

User image

Extreme Veteran
I meant to say get your bearings....ha

2007-01-07 11:39 AM
in reply to: #645284

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh, and I meant life guard.... I am on my husbands laptop and it's not going smoothly.....
2007-01-08 12:07 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
My best suggestions for getting comfortable in the water are the following 2 drills:

The belly button drill:
The whole point of this drill is to practice your rotation. You want to work on keeping your belly button pointed toward the side of the pool so as you take a stroke rotate towards the wall so your belly button is facing the wall. Take your next stroke and rotate towards the other wall. At the end of each pool length take a few seconds to rest and then swim back to the other side of the pool.

The head/chest down drill:
As you swim each length of the pool focus on pressing your head and chest towards the bottom of the pool this causes your hips/butt to pop up and this improves your position in the water.
2007-01-08 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Hello All,

I've been keeping up w/everyone sort of. I usually don't spend a lot of time on the computer on weekends. Training schedule this week - - this is my last week of 'do your own thing' before starting the BT 2Xs Balanced 20 Week Olympic schedule. My previous workouts are logged also.
Today - Bike 1 hr.
Tues - run 45 min.
Wed - weights, yoga 45 min, bike 1 hr.
Thurs - run 45 min.
Fri. - off
Sat - swim 1 hr., weights
Sun - swim 1 hr.
We have an ice storm coming Fri. so I pushed all swimming to the weekend.

Now I am confused. After swimming all of my life at whatever style/form I learned in the river as a child, I got my first instruction from a competitive swimmer this week. Of course she said the exact opposite from you Bonnie! I'm finding lots of opposites as I ask advice from various experts.

She told me to reduce the movement of my hips and keep my shoulders out of the water with the water level right above my goggles. I even swam an extra day to practice my new 'technique.' What's a girl to do?

One awesome thing my advisor did was change my windmill stroke to a whip. I tested the new vs. old style with a float btwn my legs to see which propelled best. The new whip at least doubled my speed.

Any comments are appreciated.

Sarah
2007-01-08 8:39 AM
in reply to: #645886

User image

Leesburg,
Hi, Sarah.

I'm probably the worst swimmer in the world speed-wise, but I always manage to finish the events with not a lot of energy expenditure, ready for the bike, and before the cut-off time, so I consider that a mild success.

I began swimming maybe seven years ago using Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion books and coaching. His website is www.totalimmersion.net. It's not going to get you really fast (he concentrates on body position, not forward propulsion with the arms), but he does get you comfortable in the water and streamlined. Like Bonnie says, it's all in the torque through the hips. Where the hips lead, the body will follow. The book is pretty good. Haven't seen the DVD though I'd like to.

I think swimming instruction is REALLY an individual matter. Take whatever's helpful to you from whomever offers. Approach the Y or gym coach and have him or her take a look at your form. Generally the kids' coach is pretty approachable. If it doesn't work for you, just keep looking. Nothing is carved in stone. It seems like the advice is all over the page. The goal is to be able to finish the distance with a minimal energy expenditure and to be ready for the bike and run. Any more is icing on the cake. We don't have to be olympic swimmers to compete! But we do have to be comfortable and relatively secure in the water.

Good luck! I've been having major arthritis/bursitis/tendonitis issues in both shoulders due to some goofy coaching ("work through the pain," the guy said. er. wrong.) so have sat out for about two weeks. It's better now, time to get back in the water, much more carefully and with a much closer attunement to my poor old body. Live and learn. Lots of miscues and mistakes in this process!

PS -- I now have a Donald Duck half-marathon medal to add to my collection! It was a fun race, crowded and humid, but hey, it's Disney.

Everybody have a great day!
Kate

2007-01-08 8:47 AM
in reply to: #645886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Swimming
Bonnie is correct on the hip thing, it has helped me be more relaxed in the pool, and I glide better. I read it somewhere and implemented it...try it and see how it works for you.

Today I start my two a weeks at the pool, I'm not expecting much so I shouldn't be disappointed.

Amy

Edited by amy mutz 2007-01-08 8:56 AM

2007-01-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #645931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swimming
amy mutz - 2007-01-08 8:47 AM

Bonnie is correct on the hip thing, it has helped me be more relaxed in the pool, and I glide better. I read it somewhere and implemented it...try it and see how it works for you.

Today I start my two a weeks at the pool, I'm not expecting much so I shouldn't be disappointed.

Amy
PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY
2007-01-08 9:14 PM

Well, today was my first 'official' training day, and although it didn't go exactly as planned, I'm fairly proud of myself...

I went to Curves as scheduled and that went just fine. Heading to the Y, I was more and more nervous about swimming - it has been so long! Not to mention I couldn't find any goggles (thought I had a pair), and I have this thing about my eyes and water. I grabbed a kickboard to help warm up and for my first lap in years (and years! the last time I really swam was about 150 pounds ago!), and after a bit of messing about (warm up), I headed for the other side of the pool.

I moved *so* slowly using only my legs for propulsion (my arms were holding on), but I did the first lap, resting a bit (more psychologically than physically) after each length. For the second, I was going to ditch the board, but I just couldn't do it! I was nervous and worried and really really wished I had some goggles (I tend to feel like I'm drowning underwater without them). So I had a discussion with myself and decided to wean myself from the kickboard once I have goggles... so today I did 100% with kickboard, Wed I'll do 50%, and Friday, I'll either do 25% or 0%, depending on how I feel. There was no freestyle, no style or method at all, really. Today was about getting started. It's a compromise, but I still got out there, and did my scheduled walk afterwards, too.

So the TriBaby has taken her first steps, and though they were small, you gotta start somewhere!

Feeling pretty good,
Rachel

Oh yeah, I went and picked up a pair of goggles after my workout. Armed and ready for Wednesday!
2007-01-09 6:16 AM
in reply to: #647184

User image

Leesburg,
WHOO ... HOO ... HOOOOO!!! rrrachel, you GO GIRL!!!

Success is making it to the start line!

Kate
2007-01-09 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Jumping ship
Hello everyone,

I have decided to jump ship so to speak, when I decided to join the group I thought it would be great to cheer everyone on and get some inspiration myself. I have noticed that thus far I haven't been inspired or even noticed here, mentors definition is: friend and advisor, teacher or coach, I haven't recd. any of that and I have to think about my end goal which is to compete in a Sprint Triathlon in April. I have gotten more encouragement from the beginner tri threads which shouldn't be the case, it only takes a sec to inspire someone. Maybe it's me, I have been a coach for 6 years and love to inspire and see my team grow, but now I really need some of that myself.

So I wish everyone the best and God speed to you.

Amy
2007-01-09 7:31 AM

User image

New user
bye

2007-01-09 8:10 AM
in reply to: #647374

User image

Leesburg,
Nate, I gotta say, I'm reading your blog and I think you're TERRIFIC! Way to go, guy. You are a total inspiration to me.

kate
2007-01-09 8:20 AM
in reply to: #647412

User image

New user
Irnwmn - 2007-01-09 8:10 AM

Nate, I gotta say, I'm reading your blog and I think you're TERRIFIC! Way to go, guy. You are a total inspiration to me.

kate

Thanks Kate...

That was one of the reasons I put my journal out there. It may inspire other people, which in turn boosts my motivation too.
2007-01-09 8:36 AM
in reply to: #647425

User image

Leesburg,
Well, then, I'll share, too. My blog is at www.katestris.blogspot.com. You keep posting, Nate, you're keeping me honest.

kate
2007-01-09 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Rachel, I'm so proud of you. You are doing what thousands of people wish they could. Let me know how those goggles work for you. After three times in the pool and having my eyes pressed/sucked/smashed by goggles, I think I need an eye lift or something!!

Speaking of smashed, my tush is talking to me today after yesterday's spin on the bike. I'm shopping for a used road bike and training on the mountain. I tried a friend's road bike yesterday and fell in love. I am redoubling my efforts to find one. My wheels are out there somewhere for under $500!

So Nate, how do I read your blog. I'm up for a little inspiration.

Amy, I'm sorry you didn't find what you needed here. It seemed like you had all of the answers and not needs/questions. It's great you found your support somewhere else. I'll miss your cheering.

Sarah
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11