BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-04-16 4:08 PM
in reply to: #633548

User image

Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
Bonnie,
I only rode around Hagg Lake twice (once each direction) and didn't attempt that climb from 47.

I am officially registered for the Blue Lake tri-it on June 10. Now I'm committed!! I try to post my workouts, but it's mostly just times, distance, etc, and no breakdowns.

Thanks for the encouragement,
Julie

2007-04-16 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Carol, way to go starting WW. I've been putting thought into that too. I'm holding steady on the weight, much firmer, not smaller. I just wish I could set my own meeting schedule! I think I'll try a Thurs. morning meeting.

Bonnie, your race schedule is inspiring. I can't believe you're doing an Olympic 2 weeks before your Ironman. It's probably just a little workout for you. Eleven minutes on your 1/2 marathon is a huge improvement. How much of that do you attribute to training vs. weight loss?

I'm actually logging my training here on BT. I've just fallen behind on my recording and then forget the details of my workout. Life has been hectic lately. I am practicing saying "No" for a while. Tried it for the first time today. It didn't work. I'll try again.

This week is a recovery week for me. I'm happy about that.

Race schedule:
June 2nd Route 66 Sprint
September Maui 1/2 Marathon??
Fall Olympic Tri - haven't found one yet
2007-04-20 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Hello all, How is everyone doing?

This week is recovery for me. Nice. Doing the workout is never as challenging as finding the time.

That is why I've resisted attending WW meetings. That was not working for me so I found time for that this week. I found an early a.m. class I think I can fit into my schedule on a long-term basis.

After only 2 days of food journaling coupled with logging workouts, I feel like I'm recording every step of my life. For a person who barely balances a check book it's a lot to keep up with. I'm avoiding the scale for a few days and feel the points system at work.

Bonnie, are you still doing 4/1 run/walk? I'm trying to find out what running style is working best for me. How is that working for you?

Sarah
2007-04-20 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Sarah - Way to go on starting back on WW.

Yep, I did the 4/1 thing during my half-marathon last week and it led me to that PR so I'd say it's working I plan to continue it for my long runs over the next several weeks and will have my interval timer on come race day.

Hope everyone is having a great week! I've been in Denver all week on business but amazingly came back to WI today and lost 3.4 so it does work if you work the program.

Enjoy your rest week!
2007-04-24 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Bonnie - CONGRATULATIONS on your 3.4 loss last week and on your steady, continued weight loss success. What's your total now?

Sunday was my long bike ride, 117 minutes. I rode until my favorite street turned to dirt, went North and discovered the end of the road, headed back south, hit my half-way time and decided to continue 2 more miles because it felt so good. When I finally turned around I understood why my ride was going so well. I turned around to face a very strong headwind. Fortunately I made it home before dark!! Ha.

Yesterday was my long swim. I went early a.m. which was too soon after my bike ride, but the only time availabe. I had no motivation, but made myself get into the water. Just getting started was what it took. The swim was great.

What is everyone else doing?

Sarah
2007-04-26 8:07 PM

User image

Sarah,

I have a question.....I just got a trisuit in and I remember you making a comment about the inadequate padding for your du. I have a 12 m ride for my tri in June and wondered if I shoud worry about adding padding, if I can. I have a "girl" seat that has extra padding and I also have a gel seat that can be slipped on. I have never used either one without good cycle shorts on. What do you recommend???

I just finished my rest week and am now tapering back up.

Julie

2007-04-27 8:42 PM
in reply to: #778330

User image

Veteran
Hi Julie,

I don't know if I'm the best person to ask. I wore my tri-shorts for an 18 mile ride in a duathlon. It's the only time I've worn them. The "pad" is the equivalent of a small mini pad. I guess they are not all the same. Mine is Zoot brand.

I certainly felt a little more discomfort as compared to my mega-padded bike shorts which I never ride without. The discomfort was partially due to very rough road conditions. When all was said and done I was not sore in that region following the race . . . nothing compared to the incredible pain experience at the beginning of my training!!

Also, I ride on a regular girl seat. If you add a gel seat you will probably be fine.

As far as adding padding . . . would you pull on an extra pair of shorts for the ride? Probably not worth the extra time.

When is your race?

I am so excited to hear about everyone's events.

Sarah

2007-04-28 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Hey Ladies (and Nate)

Julie - This is going to sound counterintuitive but I think you're having issues because you have to much padding. I've found that even though it took a while to get used to I ride on a smaller seat with a gel padded nose (it's a triathlon bike seat) but no extra padding and I wear Zoot Tri shorts with a tri pad and that works extremely well because all of the excess padding and layers eventually rubs together and causes more issues.

Try it out and see how you do. The other thing to check on is are you using BodyGlide or some kind of chamois lotion for lubrication in that vicinity? That will also make a huge difference in comfort.

Not much time to report except to say YEAH Sarah on your long ride last week and if anyone is interested I'm at Ironman Camp right now and have been writing about my experiences here in my blog (speedleopard.com)

Kate - Are you still out there?

Rachel/Carol - How are things?

Nate - How's that wogging coming along?
2007-04-29 8:07 AM
in reply to: #780242

User image

Leesburg,
still here, everybody. Gotta a bunch of trials coming up between now and the middle of May ... remember, it squished my plans for St. Anthony's and the half Ironman Florida? working out when I can, doing a lot of yard work, planning on a 2 hour bike into the office today (talk about killing two birds with one stone!)

everybody do good ~~
kate
2007-04-29 11:44 PM

New user
Renton, WA
Hi all,

I am so happy with my new bike, we rode for an hour today and it was a breeze. I am walking 2-3 times a week, swimming 3x and biking 2, for a total of about 3hours a week +/-. I realized today that the Danskin in only 4 months off.

My first week at WW went great, lost 5 lbs. Weigh in is tomorrow, not sure how this week went but hope I am down a little. I am doing the core program instead of flex because I have metabolic syndrome and should be eating that way for health. With the flex I know myself and will make wrong food choices and just count the points.

I don't know if I have asked this before, but does everyone or anyone wear wet suits for the Seattle Danskin in August?

Carol
2007-04-30 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Kate, glad to see you are still around and doing what you can.

Carol, way to go on the 5 lb. loss. That's awesome. My WW friend swears by the Core plan. The science behind it makes a lot of sense. I don't like all of the FF stuff. I've considered trying it and using the flex points on the healthy oils in salad dressings, good yogurt and cheese. How are you dealing with that?

Sounds like you've really kicked up your workout schedule. You will be ready for Danskin!

Julie, what did you decide on your shorts? Bonnie's theory sounds good to me!

Bonnie, I read your Ironman Camp blog. WOW!! It sounds like a fabulous experience. What an edge you will have on race day. From there I had to check out the IM web site. It is a truly gorgeous setting. The mass swim start looks CRAZY. I get a rush just reading about your experience and looking at the pics.

Yesterday my family went to cheer on the runners in the OKC Memorial Marathon. It was so neat to see so many different people crossing the finish line. I cried with the lady who collapsed 40 yards out and finally crawled across the finish, I celebrated with the man who retrieved his baby from the crowd to carry across the line, I fell in love with the 60 year old couple who held hands as they finished, I photographed all of my friends and have a series of hysterical photos of all of the people I thought were my neighbor Derek from a distance. I never saw the real Derek :-) Ha.

A few things to report . . .

• . . I tried an energy gel for the first time. It was so nasty I found a place to stop my bike, took a seat on the curb and spent 5 minutes forcing it down with lots of water. Is it an acquired taste like coffee and beer? Should I just bring along a cheese burger , Did I get the wrong brand? Or do you just hold your nose and swallow quickly without tasting?

• . . My first week on WW resulted in 3.4 lbs. gone. Yippee. Weigh in is Thursday.

• . . I decided the reason why the 4/1 run/walk is not working for me is because my time/distance is much shorter than yours Bonnie. My long runs are just over an hour. Last week I tried 5/1 and that produced a little better pace and I felt good. This week I'm going to test 6/1. I want to find what works bc mentally planning to walk has got to be so much better than giving in to walking.

• . . Another long bike ride yesterday = 29 miles. Now each time I arrive back home I practice coasting to "the line" while swinging my leg up and over to hit the ground running. This has produced a couple of near-death experiences. Perhaps I'll be balanced and coordinated by race day.

• Five more weeks until the Route 66 Sprint!

2007-04-30 8:08 AM

User image

Leesburg,
    Regarding gels ~~ what kind did you use? I like the fruit flavored ones best. Accelerade has a great tasting fruit punch one. Accel Gel, I think it's called. Keep a couple in my bike bag for those "moments." I tried Carbo Pro, but I must be allergic to maltodextrin because I ended up losing all of my two litres of water on a very long ride ... nothing digested, it all came up. I was MISERABLE! (especially in the middle of the Green Swamp in central Florida with nuthin but the buzzards and crocs for company for miles and miles.) So try what you're going to use on Race Day during your regular workouts so you have no nasty surprises on the big day.
    2007-04-30 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
    Hammer Gel was the evil culprit. I tried orange flavor. Yuck!
    2007-04-30 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
    Portland, OR
    Carol and Sarah - WOO HOO on the weight loss. You are both doing so well

Carol - Seattle Danskin is totally fine for swimming with no wetsuit. I did it 2 years without one.

Sarah - Sounds like you have the right idea on the run/walk thing. I'm sure upping your interval will work well for you and I definitely believe planning to walk helps keep you running past tons of people who ran hard and are now forced to walk at the end.

Question for the ladies here. Do all of you have a sports watch you like? I won an Ironman ladies Timex and I already have an IM Timex I love. I thought one of you might enjoy the ability to count laps and things if you don't already have one.

If you need it drop me a PM or post and I'll send it your way

On the gels. This is so tough to dial in. Everyone is different and each brand is formulated a bit different so you have to try them to see what works. I can't stand Hammer or PowerGel but simply LOVE GU. I'm ok on most of the flavors but the Chocolate Outrage is so yummy (tastes like chocolate frosting) so I live on that when I'm out on a course.

See what works for you and practice it in training. Also make sure you drink 4-8oz of water (not sportdrink) when taking a gel to help it digest.

Happy Training!
    2007-04-30 4:34 PM

User image

Thanks for the tips on shorts, ladies. I do have a girl gel seat so I probably need to try using it with my tri shorts. I'll try the body glide, too. I've never had problems w/chafing, etc., but have always worn good, padded shorts.

I never would have thought about using the gels during training to "sample". That's such a great tip!

Happy Training!!
    Julie
    2007-04-30 9:18 PM

New user
    Renton, WA
    Great Day !!! Weighed in this morning and lost 2.4 lbs this week.

Sarah- your question about the core program. You need to eat 2 tsp of Olive oil to stay on program, don't need to count them as points on core. I use Nancy's fat free plain yogurt and it also doesn't need to be counted. Have your tried Laughing Cow lite swiss wedges, they are low fat and you don't have to count them on core. I have only been at this for 2 weeks, so have just been avoiding all other cheese, except fat free Ricotta and cottage. You do get 35 extra points to use during the week.

Keep up the good work,
    Carol

2007-05-01 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
    Yippee Carol two weeks and seven and a half pounds. That is so great. Congratulations.
    2007-05-08 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
    My wet suit arrived in the mail last Monday and I tossed it into the back of the car to take to the weekend's family reunion at the lake. After a couple of days thought I decided (in the middle of the night) to put it on and make sure it fit before making a spectacle of myself in front of cousins I see annually.

I was the only person awake and alone in my closet I pulled a very skinny looking suit out of the box. Back when I ordered it I read about how to put it on and vaguely remembered some of it. I was able to wriggle my foot through the tiny leg opening and the tugging began immediately. I worked small sections at a time like panty hose except much thicker. It felt like my already short finger nails might puncture it. After wrestling with neoprene and rubber for a short eternity I had worked the crotch half-way between my knees and it's final destination. Then . . . I started to sweat. There was no hope of progress at that point so I fell into bed knowing I had been sent the wrong size.

When I checked the company web site the next morning I was amazed to discover I am on the smallest end of the height/weight chart for the suit in my closet. I carefully re-read the directions on how to put it on, packed a case of Body Glide and headed to reunion. The walk-in refridgerator allowed me to exert the necessary energy to get the suit on sweat-free. Aqua Woman emerged and was quickly transformed into Help-I-Can't-Swim Woman in the near white caps of the lake. I might as well be swimming in the ocean! My SHORT swim was totally exhausting and humbling. It's 3.5 weeks to race day and I'm scrambling for an open-water swim buddy. I have to expect high winds on race day because it is so common here. Hopefully I will quickly learn to make the waves my friend.

Sarah
    2007-05-08 9:13 AM

User image

New user
    I'm still here...not doing the run/walking yet. I have put 34 miles on my bike in the last 2 days though and I'm preparing for a 60 mile ride sometime in the next 2 months.

I'm thinking about spending the money on the clipless pedals and shoes...I'm currently using power straps. I've taken 2 or 3 diggers because of them, including one last night. I think it's related to the shoes I'm wearing while biking, so if changing to a different shoe doesn't work, I may investigate new pedals..

2007-05-08 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
    Portland, OR
    Nato - I've found clipless pedals have been amazingly helpful in improving my speed as well as efficiency on the bike. The best pedal for beginners is SPD, you might try them on at the store and see if you can get on a trainer at the bike shop to practice with them before taking them home.

Sarah - Sounds eerily familiar. I felt like a dead seal when I was trying to get my wetsuit on the first time. Bodyglide will help, start slow and pull it up inch by inch. It usually takes me about 10 minutes to get mine all the way on. Have you posted on your local craigslist or tri group for an OWS buddy? I'm sure you'll find one.

Just know that we all go through this when we first get our wetsuits

My training plan says I'm becoming an endurance beast. I'm starting to believe it, which is crazy! Ironman is 6 weeks from Sunday - WOO HOO!!!
    2007-05-08 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
    Bonnie, you are an endurance beast!! I told my cousin about the cool on-line mentor from OR I have who is doing an IM. She immediately remembered the USA Today article. You are so famous.

2007-05-08 4:49 PM

User image

Sarah,
    I'm renting my wetsuit..........I wonder if I should go into the shop and have a trial run at putting it on?!?!

Bonnie,
    How was the Farm Tri?? I thought about you this weekend. Maybe I can participate next year with a bit better planning on my end!

Have any of you experienced "swimmer's shoulder"? Mine doesn't hurt while swimming, only after, like a pulled muscle, an all the time. I'm taking this week off to let it rest. A real bummer, especially since swimming is my strength.

May you all have a blessed weekend!!
    Julie
    2007-05-08 5:50 PM

User image

Leesburg,
    I am the queen of swimmers shoulder ... have official sever arthritis in the left shoulder ... if you need help, PM me, I am a recovering shoulder groupie. Never say never. Still looking forward to Im Fla 07. Hey leader, your IM is coming up shortly, how are you doing????
    2007-05-08 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
    Portland, OR
    Julie - Tri was super fun but cold weather in the morning when exiting the pool wet I wrote a race report that's in the race report section.

My massage therapist taught me a good stretch for shoulder/chest tightness where you stand with your arms in a doorframe (elbow bent, palms flat against the frame). Now step forward ever so slightly til you feel a stretch in your shoulder/chest. Hold, step a little further through the door etc.

Kate - Thanks for asking! Let's see.....

I'm super excited!!!! When I started my training plan in January I knew I "could" do it but I didn't really see "how" I was going to do it.

But since starting training in January I've:

Lost - 20 lbs
    Swam - 68,775 yds (30 hours)
    Biked - 1334 miles (88 hours)
    Run - 270 miles (56 hours)
    Stretched - Every night for at least 15 minutes every day
    Massaged - Every 3 weeks until this month when I've started going weekly
    Practiced - Nutrition, pacing using the 4/1 run walk, with all race day attire

My longest swim has been 4200 yds
    My longest bike has been 91 miles with 4500 ft of climbing
    My longest run has been 13.1 miles

I can't wait for the race. I know "how" I'll do it - slow and steady. Bottom line if I can do this any of you can if you have the dream or goal of one day doing the Ironman. Consistancy has been critical and family support equally important.

Can you tell I'm excited?

Rock on group - You all motivate me!
    2007-05-09 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
    Yeah Bonnie! I'm so excited too.

Julie, not only a trial run at getting your suit on, swim in it too. I've had slight swimmer's shoulder. Yoga helps me keep it stretched out.

Nate, I'm with you on the bike shoes. My husband/daughter agreed to buy me shoes and pedals for Mother's Day. Went to LBS yesterday where my daughter picked the BRIGHT yellow shoes for me. Tried them on until finding the best fit only to find out they are Lance Armstrong limited edition $319 shoes!!! The good news was they were on clearance for a mere $119. Ha. We still went with some really cool silver ones for much less. I can't wait to ride with them!

I think I found an OWS buddy. I got a phone message yesterday from a mumbling man I could not understand. Not sure if he said 'go jump in the lake' or 'sure, I'll swim with you bc I'm a crazy man who swims sans wet suit in sub zero temps.' It was something like that.

Yoga and run today.

Sarah
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11