BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-05-20 11:45 PM
in reply to: #633548

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
I know everyone is crazy busy. Just checking in after 8 days of in-laws, hosting a rehersal dinner, surviving and enjoying our daughter's wedding (24-year-old step-daughter, not my 6-year-old) and my peek training week. Whew!

Bonnie - 5 week countdown!

Nate - did you get your shoes? Can't wait to tell you the story of my first "clipped-in ride" but it must wait until later.

Carol - How's WW going? I've been forgetting to update . . . 9.8 lbs. after 4 weeks. We'll see how the post-wedding and post in-laws-cooking-for-a-week weigh-in goes.

Julie - have you tried out your new trisuit? Like it? What'd you get?

Kate and Rachel - What's up?

Sarah

2007-05-21 7:09 AM
in reply to: #809113

User image

Leesburg,
All is well on the home front. I do have a question for ladies only (Nate, close your eyes.) What do you do during the monthlies? Cut back? They get rough for me ... sometimes it's all I can do to walk around (heavy). I can't imagine a 2-3 hour bike or run, or even any pool time, from a practical perspective. Thoughts?
2007-05-21 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Kate, I can empathize. During early training I was very effected by monthly frequency/duration/quantity. My OB helped out with prescription for Loestrin 24. It's a 24-day BC pill followed by 4 days of iron pills. Intended for help with my hormonal roller coaster and cysts, the training bonus is no more period. I know there are LOTS of different philosophies on long-term BC usage. My OB swears by the health benefits and vows to take them herself until menopause. My friend's Dr. (in the same practice) refuses to write her a prescription in spite of major hormonal migraines because she is 43 years old. If it is something you would consider and your Dr. is onboard I highly recommend it.

Sarah
2007-05-21 8:37 AM
in reply to: #809337

User image

Leesburg,
BC = ???
2007-05-21 12:07 PM

User image

Sarah,

I'm renting the wetsuit, so no trial run, except maybe during the warmup at the race.
My tri suit is by Danskin. I ordered it from REI. It fits well and I think I can get away w/o a sprots bra.....it helps that I'm not very busty! Cute details, too.
As for yoga, I'm hooked. I've been working on my stroke in the pool and also keeping my shoulder stretched out. Thanks for the tips.

I discovered, after a 50 mile ride this weekend, that bike shorts are worth the money charged! I wore some less expensive knickers and had problems w/seams irritating me. I left my good shorts at home....big mistake! If it weren't for BodyGlide, I'm sure I would have been rubbed raw.

Y'all have a great week!
Julie
2007-05-21 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
BC = Birth Control

Julie, I mean, Fellow Yogi, I'm glad you found a yoga class you like. I only go 1x/wk and wish I could do more.

On not practicing the wet suit . . . I'm interested to know if Bonnie and Kate have had the same experience as me in the suit. My first swim was a surprise bc the huge increase in bouyancy my form and body position was way off until I slowed down, and focused on what I'd been practicing. The suit saves me about 30 seconds/100 meters, but my arms fatigue more quickly. I'm guessing bc of the restriction of the suit and added weight. The quicker fatigue causes me general swimming concern.

Tips from a weekend transition clinic:
goggles under swim cap - you never know how you may be jostled and you don't want to lose your goggles
no socks - generously baby powder cycling and running shoes for moisture absorption
clip shoes into pedals and tie heels in position with a rubber band - when you take off the bands will break
shoes will stay in position while bike is being pushed forward - backwards will cause pedals to turn
use electrical tape to tape gels to the top tube - tape the top part of the gel right at the notch, put one on top of the other, when you pull one off it will be opened for you by the tape
put helmet on handlebars facing correct direction straps out - all you need to do before leaving transition area is remove wet suit and put on helmet

2007-05-21 2:35 PM

User image

Leesburg,
A wetsuit can be a positively miserable experience unless it fits. If it's too tight in the shoulders, your stroke will be way off. Too constricted in the chest ... I get anxiety attacks from not being able to breathe. Took me three years to find a decent fit (but I'm 6'1" and way stocky). Ditto sarah's comments about buoyancy. It's a completely different animal in a wetsuit. I tend to roll over way too far with the wetsuit on. I'd take a LONG warmup to get used to the mechanics before the race starts. Don't forget the Pam on the ankles, wrist, and around the neck ... prevents chafing and much easier to slip off.

I'm the oldest ovulating woman in America. 55 and still going through it. SUCKS! No b/c for me, don't do pharmaceuticals unless I'm on my deathbed ... simple personal preference.

Off to Florida for 10 days on Wednesday. HURRAY! Put me on a bike path with alligators and turkey vultures and big fat snakes and oscelots and panthers. I'm a happy woman!

Take care all.
kate
2007-05-21 3:46 PM

User image

I know the wetsuit's gonna be a big change. I've worn them scuba diving, but that's been 25 yrs ago!!!! Short of forking out $300+/- , I'll have to go w/the rental. Does the BodyGlide work the same as Pam?

Sarah, thanks for sharing your transition tips. One question, tho, would it be a good idea to practice getting into the shoes? Do you slip your feet out of the shoes at the end, b4 dismounting?

Kate, have a great trip!

Julie
2007-05-21 9:40 PM

New user
Renton, WA
I went to a tri-lecture on Saturday and a swim coaching lesson on Sunday. Both were great, I learned several bad habits I need to work on with my swimming form.

Training is going fine, I am doing bike/run two days a week and swim 3 with a long bike ride on the weekend.

Down 10 lbs this am at WW. too bad the loss slows down after the first two weeks

Carol
2007-05-22 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Carol - way to go, 10 lbs. is awesome. Sounds like you are getting lots of workouts in. Ditto on the learning/things to change. I haven't had so many a-ha moments in years!

Julie - yes, I will practice everything I know to practice. This week is my transition and brick work. I haven't actually tried the shoe-on-the-bike thing yet. It just looked good when the clinic guy did it!

Okay, the unbelievable but true story . . . as you know I received the generous and thoughtful gift of shoes and pedals for mother's day. While at the bike shop I asked John to check things over and see if he could determine why my chain had come off twice in my last four rides. I anxiously retrieved my bike from the LBS on Friday and carefully planned my week ahead. In-laws, wedding and peak training coinciding in one week required a bit more attention to detail on my calendar. The cool hours after sun up on Sunday morning were reserved for my first ride in my new digs.

Saturday my daughter and I went for a spin just so I could figure out how the things worked. I wanted to be extra careful to get nary a scratch so I could return them if needed. Left foot in and we're off. I'm still working on my right foot when we get to the end of the street. The only way to turn is up-hill and my left leg is really working now. Half-way up the hill I stop and grab a mailbox for support as I try working my clip in. Apparently it was not enough support because I slowly toppled over onto the pavement. I feel pretty good about this bc I've been told falling is a cycling rite of passage. I'm happy to achieve this on my first ride. However, I am not happy about the new scratches on my shiny shoe and pedal.

Oh well, with a little help I'm up and know how to properly get the clip in. I was trying it backwards. Now I'm excited and ready for my ride the next morning.

Oh glorious 64 degree weather, slight breeze and an open road. What a perfect day. Within the first mile I recognize how conquering a hill is simplified by my new shoes. And downhill. I can pedal all the way. I may never coast again.

Mile four I am easily ascending my friend the hill, notice a polished, black SUV coming down the opposite direction, downshift and my chain comes right off. I do not panic, but realize I have exactly 1.2 seconds to dislodge my feet from my pedals before I become personal with the asphalt. I twist, torque, pull, yank and go down while considering, which should impact first? body or bike? I chose bike.

There I am lying in the road, still attached to my pedals, hydration of choice leaking on me, grease from ankle to knee, kicking until my top leg is finally released and flys through the air to celebrate freedom. The polished SUV speeds away without even slowing down to laugh.

Now I'm mad. The chain problem should have been fixed. I can't count how many scratches are on my new shoes and pedals. Half of my fluids are gone. My hip hurts.

I get the chain back on, miraculously clip in going up hill and at the top realize my handle bars are bent. Great! Should I continue? There is a noise coming from my chain, but it's my only time for a long ride this week. My shoulders are becoming crooked to line up with my bars. I should go home. I made the turn going southward feeling more than a little disappointed in how my much anticipated ride was turning out.

But then I saw the new elementary school for the first time. Ah, I didn't know it was located there. It's really nice. The construction is almost finished. Boom, thuwump! What was that? I hit something in the road. I have a flat tire.

Of course I would never ride without all of the things I need to change a tire, but I've never actually done it. I vaguely remember the tire changing instruction I received months ago. Trying to remain positive, I decided this was a good thing for me to practice in case I ever had to do it in a racing situation, and I was incredibly fortunate to get a flat near a random slab of concrete so I could be out of the road and the wet grass. You can always find something good in every situation!

Okay, bad tube is out, new tube is in, tire and wheel are united, canister is in hand pump, seal is punctured, air is coming out, air will not go into tube. I checked my good tire to make sure it looked like my newly changed model. I wiggled, fidgeted, twisted all moving parts and still no air in the tube. At last I sat down and cried and called my husband for rescue operation delta bravo.

Since then the great soreness in my hip, back and shoulders has subsided, my front derailleur has been adjusted, my handle bars have been straightened and the binding on my pedals loosened. I have somewhat blocked mother's day from my memory and I've ridden and fallen in love with the shoes and pedals as it was originally intended.

Drama!
2007-05-22 12:29 PM

User image

Kate-Congrats on your 10 lbs! I'd love to have an evalutation of my swim, especially since having swimmer's shoulder is new to me. I swam competitively as a teen, got my Water Safety Instr. license in college, and have probably been doing the same incorrect recovery of my stroke all these years, just never enough regular training to exasperate it. (Plus I ain't 19 no more!)

Sarah-Oh, your spills bring back some fond memories for me! In fact, I can't go up a particular hill w/o chuckling at my first fall. Since my husband witnessed it, I was even more embarrassed........but now it's just plain funny. Keep up the sense of humor!

Well, off to the pool.

Julie

2007-05-23 8:15 AM

User image

Leesburg,
good god, sarah, what a ride! what kind of clip-ins do you have? I use the speedplays. They tend to bind, so I use 3 in one oil on them. does the trick just fine. Clean them with Simple Green to keep the gunk out when I clean my bike. Simple Green is a great de-greaser!

I hate having to unclip on hills. It's a fine art. Keep it up, you'll get it. You just look like a total idiot when you keel over sideways like a drunken sailor. Thank god for helmets.

I use a Camelbak. Cushions the fall, and the hydration stuff doesn't fall out. Plus, on the rails to trails, you can stick your iPod in the cell phone pocket. Works like a charm. Keeps your back cool if you stick a lot of ice in there, too, and it seems to make me conscious of keeping my back straighter in aero.

Ever figure out what the problem was with filling your tube? That's kind of an essential bit of knowledge to have. I remember before I carried a tube-changing pack when I got a flat six miles out, and the light came on instantly that I'd have to walk six miles back. Never forgotten that lesson!

Thanks for the chuckle.
Kate
2007-05-23 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
You ladies are cracking me up

Kate - I normally do an easy swim or easy jog when it's that time for me. Thankfully I only have 1 day where it's really bad and I know when it's coming so I schedule hard workouts around it.

Sarah - You are tough! Way to go for getting back on the bike.

My #1 tip of the week:

Regardless of how cool it looks to clip your shoes into your pedals, skip it. Seriously. It will cause you to tip over or crash into someone else on the course when you're leaving transition. Personally I've never done it because I've seen way to many accidents from normal triathletes (not pros) trying to look cool and then getting distracted at the bike mount line.

I'm heading back to Portland today from Denver. This is my last key week of training so I'm very excited!

Julie - Will you be at the Blue Lake Sprint?

Happy Wednesday
2007-05-24 12:57 AM

New user
Renton, WA
Sarah your story of the bike ride just cracked my up, I can just see the mailbox going down!! The bike shop can adjust your pedals so they unclip easier, and as you get more proficient if you want you can tighten them up a bit. I actually ride with mine fairly loose, and never have a problem getting out, and have never come out by accident.

The guy giving our tri-clinic also said don't try to get onto your bike in transition with the shoes clipped in.. the minute you save may turn into 10 when you crash!

Just finished watching American Idol finals,, who can watch Bette Midler sing "Wind beneath my wings" with out crying ???

Carol
2007-05-24 6:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Apparently not Jerry Springer! Ha.
2007-05-24 11:47 AM

User image

New user
well, biking is still going well....I'll be traveling for the next week, but when I get back I need to see a chiropractor...I'm still having problems with my back. happier news...I'm now down 80 lbs since October 10th....over 107 down total from my highest point.

you can see updated pics on my blog

http://natoswwjournal.blogspot.com

2007-05-24 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Nate,

I love the pics on your blog. You look like an entirely different person from the beginning photos.

Are you using a training plan? Sounds like it is hard for you to give yourself a break when you need one. My training plan has a 40% reduction every 4 weeks. It is a fantastic break that is totally guilt free. Schedule the breaks you need and eliminate the guilt . . . of course you also eliminate a good number of activity points, but it's temporary.

Great job.

Sarah
2007-05-29 9:16 AM
in reply to: #815292

User image

Way to go, Nate!!!

Sarah- I just remembered a bike changing tip. Carry plastic latex/health gloves in your kit. They'll save your hands from grease/grime.

Bonnie- I'm doing the tri on Sat. not Sun. Only 12 days to go!!

Julie
2007-05-31 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Guys, It's 2 days until race day and I am so excited. This afternoon I will do a light workout to practice transitions. This evening is packet pick-up. Then only 36 hours to go!

There is a 60% chance of rain on Saturday. Hopefully that will come later in the day. I haven't done any training in the rain!!

This morning was weigh-in at WW - down 2 lbs. this week for a total of 10.4.

Sarah
2007-05-31 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
WOO HOO SARAH!!!! Please let us know how you do and we will all be virtually cheering you on. I know you'll do awesome Congrats on the weight loss.

Nate - Hope your back feels better!

Julie - I'm doing a relay on Saturday and then the Oly on Sunday so I'll be out there. I'll be milling around in the relay area of transition before the start so please come introduce yourself to me if you see me I'll post my race # since saying I'm wearing a black sleeveless wetsuit probably won't help.

Go Team! Hope you are all doing awesome!

Kate - Are you still planning for IMFL? How's training coming?
2007-06-01 11:39 PM

New user
Renton, WA
Good luck Sarah, let us know how it went !!!

Also way to go on the weight loss.

Carol

2007-06-03 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
WOO HOO!! - as Bonnie would say, I am officially a triathlete! Yesterday's race was an awesome experience. I finished in 1:30:56, the fastest I hoped for. My race report is posted for all to see. Check it out.

Thank you all so much for your help and encouragement along the way. I felt you were there beside me the whole way. I used countless bits of advice and tips from all of you. I was continually inspired by your progress which kept me motivated these past 5 months.

Anyone interested in the official time go to . . .

http://www.dgroadracing.com/2007%20Route%2066%20Sprint%20Triathlon....

What's next, you are probably asking . . . I would like to find an Olympic distance tri near-by, but there are not any scheduled in Oklahoma the rest of this year. Perhaps I will do more sprints in the fall. So, I will be focusing on training for the 1/2 marathon in Maui. Even though running is my weakest event I am super excited about this because it is in MAUI! and I am doing it to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

My 16-year-old nephew is a leukemia survivor. He completed his treatment 1 year ago and is doing great so far. I want to run for him and other kids like him.

In the very limited time I've spent in endurance training, 5 months, I have received so much in the form of empowerment, new relationships, personal satisfaction, greater health, spiritual revelations (am I the only one?), etc. I wanted to give something back. I would encourage all of you to do at least one event for a cause that is meaningful to you.

If you are interested in donating to the LLS and supporting me in my fund raising efforts, go to:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntok/runsarahrun

Sarah
2007-06-03 9:55 PM

New user
Renton, WA
Wow Sarah, I am so happy for you. What a great time. I am hoping to finish Danskin in 2'30" a whole hour slower than you and I will be happy.

It looks like you had good cool weather, is that unusual for OK at this time of the year?

Congratulations on a great job!!!!
Carol
2007-06-06 6:10 PM
in reply to: #827220

User image

You go, Sarah!!! Were you nervous?? Your T-times were low so you must have been organized. Congrats to your nephew on surviving leukemia....your're right, we should all take up a cause and run/swim/ride for it!

I went to pick up my wetsuit yesterday and the one reserved for me was not returned by the previous renter, so I brought home a sleeveless one! They hope to get a full wetsuit in by Friday, but if they don't I'll be swimming in 60-ish degree water w/no sleeves! My shoulder does feel better w/ice on it, so maybe it'll be therapuetic.

Any words of wisdom for me on Saturday???

Bonnie, I'll get my race number to you and maybe we can meet up somewhere.

Julie
2007-06-06 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
WOO HOO is right Sarah!!!! Way to go girl. You rocked!

Julie - Don't worry about the sleeves actually especially if you're struggling with shoulder issues. I have a sleeveless wetsuit and I've been swimming in it for 5 weeks now and it feels great I'm doing the relay on Saturday so look for me near the relay area in transition and definitely come over and say hello.

Carol - Email me your address so I can send you the watch

Off to do an OWS with the local tri group in the rain. Nice!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11