BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2006-12-27 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Manatee Express Group - Full
Name Manatee Express/Ken

Story - I am a 44 year old former clydesdale, former smoker. I recently left a big city job with a big company to seek a more balanced life in a place that I love. I live in Gulf Shores, Alabama and most of my races are in LA (Lower Alabama) and the Florida Panhandle.

I started doing triathlons in 2002 at the urging of my wife. She was doing a race and talked me and some buddies into doing a relay. At that point, it was purely a social thing for me. After a couple of sprints that year, I really got into the sport. I competed in 20 plus races (runs, duathlons, triathlons and bike races) a year from 2003 to 2005. In 2006, I cut back on racing and trained and completed Ironman Florida. I am a mid to mid back of pack racer. I consider the free beer after the races my medal. My strenght is definietly the bike and the run is my weakness. I have very bad ankles and the run really limits my performance. I have been a BT member for 2 years.

Family - My wife of 12 years, Marcy, is my best training partner.

Current Training - Currently just doing maintainence on the swim and trying to keep my run base solid. Bike is being neglected but its my strength and I will get back to it soon.

2006 - I competed in 4 duathlons, 4 triathlons, 2 runs, and a bike race. My major accomplishment was IMFL. Ironman training was like a full time job to me.

2007 - My goals for 2007 are not solid yet. My intent is to race more sprints and probably a Half Ironman. My greatest enjoyment of racing is the friendship and comaradarie of the races and I want more of that this year. I may convince myself to do a stand alone marathon just to compare my time to the ironman marathon.

Weight Loss- I started triathlons at 5'10 240 pounds. I am still 5'10 but have been under 200 pounds for 2 years now. I am not the healthiest person when it comes to food but training has allowed me to maintain a decent weight.

I truly enjoy helping people get started in the sport. I have helped get alot of people to the starting line and am happy to provide advice and guidance.

Edited by Manatee Express 2007-01-04 2:11 PM

2006-12-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: #634648

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Group - Open
2006-12-30 11:20 AM

Roswell, GA
I'd like to join your group if possible. I'll give you the highlights. I've been "training" for about a year and a half now. I'm 37 years old, 6'8 and about 260#. Last year I lost about 25# and got down to my Jr. College Basketball weight but that didn't last long. I ran my first race a duathlon on Halloween of 2005. I ran it again this past Halloween and did about 20 minutes worse. I also did one sprint tri, which was my first ever.

In 2007, I'd like to do a few more sprints and an international in the Fall. I may also look to volunteer at the Gulf Coast Half, just to see how it works so I can get up for it in 2008. I'm not sure I could get there in 2007.

Family: I'm married for 12 years, one 5 year old son. We live in metro Atlanta.

Thanks

Chris
2006-12-31 10:10 AM
in reply to: #637243

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Chris,

I look forward to working with you. I spent a few years in Atlanta, fun city and seems like a lot of triathletes. I have raced Gulf Coast 3 times and its definitely a good place to see what long course racing is about.

I will put you on my blog page and check on you soon.
2007-01-02 4:06 PM

Grand Rapids, MI
Hi Ken-

I would like to join your group. Truly a couch to sprint challenge here. I am 36 years old, and have never been much of a fan of running. I do not own a bike yet, and my recent swimming experiences have all involved my 2 children and a waterslide. I am 6'2" and 260lbs. I played rugby for 10 years, but have not done much in the past 5, other than watch my belly grow.

That being said, I am shooting for the Reeds Lake Tri in Grand Rapids, MI on Sept 10th. I have picked out a program, http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... and have told everyone I know about my plans, to hold myself accountable. I am glad they have set up a mentoring program, and would love it if you would allow me to join your group.
2007-01-02 4:17 PM
in reply to: #639811

Roswell, GA
Well, I can't speak for our mentor, but you are not in a very different place than I was 18 months ago and I've only done 1 sprint race since. My wife thought I was crazy. She told me things like, "why did you have to go and tell everybody what you were doing?" and the best one was "why couldn't you just pick one thing, like a bike race, or running, etc". I think it's great that you went out and told everyone. It certainly helped me. I lost ~20# to race, then gained it all back because I didn't do a good enough job planning my year of races so it seemed to my psychie that I made the one race so I'm done. Now I have to start over again, lost the 20 or more and get back in shape.

Chris

2007-01-02 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Benjamin,

Great to have you aboard. Looks like you are on the right track with a public goal and a training plan. I haven't looked at your logs yet, but I encourage you to use them as they are terrific tools to help you track your progress. I am now gonna look at your logs and Chris's as well. This should be fun.
2007-01-02 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Okay guys - I checked your logs and you both have used them before so thats good. I really believe they are a great tool to track what your doing against your goals. I think the best place to start is by developing some goals for the coming year and putting them in your logs. This helps you keep them in focus when you feel like not working out. Now that I said that, I realize that my goals need to be updated for 2007.

Ben, I saw in your logs that you were looking for a watch and Heart Rate monitor. Let me know if you are still looking and I will offer some suggestions.
2007-01-02 9:28 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Chris,

don't know if you have any races picked out yet, but Atlanta is not far from the Gulf Coast and if you have any interest in racing down here, I am familiar with most of the races on the Gulf from Panama City to New Orleans. I haven't raced in Georgia but the half ironman in Macon is on my maybe list right now.
2007-01-03 11:41 AM

Grand Rapids, MI
Very cool. Yes, if you can suggest a watch that won't set me back too much money, I would really appreciate it. I am going to look at a used stationary bike today, and then will start shopping for a real bike in a month or so, so start thinking of suggestions for a bike as well. Although there is no snow right now, I want to have the stationary bike in the basement for the inevitable Michigan winter.

Chris, we just bought a second home in Sandersville, so if you see a good sprint in GA this fall, let me know. And I lived in NOLA for 5 years, so I would love to try one on the gulf coast as well, Ken.

I did not get a true workout in yesterday, but I think the 5 hours of walking and standing in line for Gerald Ford's Repose still gave my legs and back a pretty solid workout. I am definetly sore.
Not going to put it in my official log tho This evening I am going to ride the stationary for 25 min and lift for Legs Back and Abs.

Ken- I did have a question about this site. Can you tell me what benifits you truly have gained by purchasing a membership?

Thanks!
2007-01-03 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Ben,

I am a big fan of Heart Rate Monitors. Learning to train in the appropriate HR zone is a big key to improving your endurance. The main things you need are splits/laps/HR/and avg HR. You can probably get a good watch for between $50 and $130 that does these things. My advice would be to shop the internet for bargain prices (amazon and ebay). I am partial to the Timex Ironman Brand but Nike also makes a good watch that does these things. Polar is another popular brand, but I am not really high on there watch functionality. You will see alot of folks that have GPS systems with HRM, Distance recorder and HRM. Garmin and Timex are the big brands here. I have the timex GPS system and enjoy using it, but its a lot of dollars and you got a bike to buy still. They start in the $200 range and our really cool but not really necessary. The HR and splits are the keys for training.

On the used indoor cycle, another option you might want to consider is to buy a bicycle trainer and a bike. You hook your bike to the trainer and it becomes an indoor stationary bike. 2 upsides are 1) You don't have to have a big stationary bike (trainer folds up in a corner and 2) You do your training on a real bike, which better simulates outdoor riding.

2007-01-03 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Ken,

I'd like to join this group if possible. I'm new to this website, but a friend suggested this would be good for me to figure out the whole "triathlon thing". I've never done a triathlon, but have been running for years. Last year I decided to run my first half marathon, and added some biking in my training plan for grins. It turned out that I really liked it! Now swimming is another story altogether...

In 2007 I'll be turning the dreaded 50, and want to meet it head on. I live in Northwest Florida, and want to do My First Tri on June 9th. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but isn't discouraging me at all. I guess he figures he has seen everything after 23 years.

Cheri
2007-01-03 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Cheri,

Welcome to the group. Where are you in Northwest Florida? I recently moved from Perdido Key to Gulf Shores but we are still neighbors. I will add you to my friends list so I can check on your logs. Like I told Chris and Benjamin, please use the logs. They are free and they are a great tool for us to see what your doing and for you to track progress. Please feel free to post questions to the thread and chip in on other folks questions.

Ken
2007-01-03 3:02 PM
in reply to: #640632

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
grnerd - 2007-01-03 11:41 AM

Ken- I did have a question about this site. Can you tell me what benifits you truly have gained by purchasing a membership?

Thanks!

I was on the bronze plan for my first year and decided to upgrade to get access to additional training plans. I believe that is the primary difference. You also get access to ask questions to the real coaches associated with the site. The other tool I like on the pay plan is the race tracking database. All that said, I think you will know when you are ready to get more out of the site and you can upgrade at any time.

In addition to the plans, part of my reason for upgrading was to support the site. I used it so much in my ironman training, I felt like the guys that run it had earned more than I had contributed.
2007-01-03 3:44 PM
in reply to: #641006

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Thanks for the hearty welcome. The training log will probably get easier to use (or understand), I hope. It's a bit overwhelming at first.

You asked where I am in NW FL -- I live in Shalimar, near Destin/Ft Walton Beach. I see on your training log that you ran in the Make it to the Line last week. Are you planning to do the Pensacola Beach Run on Saturday? I'll be there, but I'm not in the best shape to do this one. The holidays really got in the way of my training!

Back to questions, though. I'm on a hunt for a new bike. Any suggestions on the most important features?
2007-01-03 4:02 PM

Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for the hint on the trainer, but I need to save a few months before I shop for a bike, and this stationary is $50. I'll look at the watches you have suggested, and being a gadget freak I want the gps one. Maybe that will be a reward after finishing my first sprint in September!

2007-01-03 7:37 PM
in reply to: #641113

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sledge - 2007-01-03 3:44 PM

Thanks for the hearty welcome. The training log will probably get easier to use (or understand), I hope. It's a bit overwhelming at first.

You asked where I am in NW FL -- I live in Shalimar, near Destin/Ft Walton Beach. I see on your training log that you ran in the Make it to the Line last week. Are you planning to do the Pensacola Beach Run on Saturday? I'll be there, but I'm not in the best shape to do this one. The holidays really got in the way of my training!

Back to questions, though. I'm on a hunt for a new bike. Any suggestions on the most important features?[/QUOTE

Cheri,

I am not racing in Pensacola this weekend. I am probably doing the half marathon in Mobile next week but still not totally convinced of that. You are a pretty fast runner, so I may be asking you questions on that leg.

To your bike question, I will start with a couple of questions to you. What are you riding now, how much are budgeting to spend on a new bike and where will you do most of your riding. The budget is a big deal because like a car you can spend a fortune on a new bike but you don't have too. It depends on the bells and whistles you want. What you ride now gives me a starting point on what you can expect to improve by upgrading. A lot of folks will tell you go to the internet for the best deal. I am not one of those people. I have been bought both on the net and from a local bike shop and I favor the latter. Big reason for me is that I am not mechanical and am not very good at fixing things when they go wrong and I get a lot better treatment from a bike shop if I bought the bike there. I am digressing, but answer my questions and I will elaborate more.

ken
2007-01-03 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Washington, MD

Ken, I'd like to join your group.

I've been in and out of triathlon training for 2 years now. I lost 50 lbs in 2005 after my wife had our first child. I gained 30 lbs back in 2006 after she had our second child. Here we are 2007, and another new beginning. I'm 5'9, 280. I've done 2 sprints and 2 duathlons in the past. I will update my log goals this week and plan to get onboard with the rest of the group. There's supposed to be strength in numbers?!

Hello to you all! 

2007-01-04 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Wendol,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have and will add to you my list to check on. Please feel free to ask questions on the thread or PM.

Ken
2007-01-04 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Count me in!!

Hello, I am a BEGINNER triathlete. A little bio...started out as a strong swimmer when I was younger and stopped that to do what my body was built for, Football. Went on to get a full ride to the U of MN. I was my biggest my senior year at 315 (offensive line). I am now down to and see-sawing between 272-279 for about 1year now. I want to get down to 250 before I do my first duathlon in May and my first tri in June!

I am purchasing my first tri bike after months of research. It was between the '07 QR Kilo and the '06 Felt S32, with the price difference of $700, I am going with the Felt. I buy it on Saturday!!!

I am getting back into the swing of things since the holiday break and I am excited and eager to learn and have a mentor!

-Ryan

Edited by hundoracer 2007-01-04 1:56 PM
2007-01-04 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Ryan,

Great to have you aboard and congrats on the new bike. I don't own a felt but have ridden a couple of them and I really think they are an excellent buy and a quality bike. The QR's are awesome too, but Felt seems to hit a great price point on the full range of bikes.

Please feel free to post questions, comments, whatever on this link and make sure you are using your logs.

Ken

2007-01-04 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Group - Full
Looks like we are a full group. The group members are:

ctreanor - Chris
grnerd - Benjamin
sledge - Cheri
getnfit - Wendol
hundoracer - Ryan

I am manatee express - Ken

Add everyone to your friends list so you can check out there logs and encourage them.
2007-01-04 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi everyone. I am a late add to the group...thanks Ken!

I am returning to a scheduled training lifestyle after almost two years of slowly moving toward a very inactive life. I look forward to hearing about the group's goals and accomplishments over the next months.

2007-01-04 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Gina,

One thing I want to suggest is you set up your training log in the system and make it public so we can all read it and encourage you.

Ken
2007-01-04 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran

I will activate the log to allow for viewing... a great way to keep me going!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 10