BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nob's Group - FULLl Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-12 5:12 PM
in reply to: #635797

Subject: RE: Nob's Group - OPEN
My favorite workouts come from my running background.
1. A cool evening in the 50's in the spring. Warm-Up 3 miles, 8*1 mile at 10K effort and 3 mile cooldown. This is a workout I did in College to prepare for the marathon.
2. A good 10 mile run from Memorial Park through River Oaks back to Memorial Park. This is a great run to do either early in the morning or late at night because there is no road traffic.
3. A swim workout that I would do in college was 900 meter warm-up, 9*50 slow, medium, hard effort, 3*300 and 100 cooldown. All done in freestyle.

2007-01-12 9:13 PM

User image

New user

Name: jmoreland/Jennifer

Story:  I am 26 years old.  I am married with 2 children.  6 years old and 17 months.  I am a registered nurse in critical care.  I played all kinds of sports growing up mainly soccer, 2 years of track.  After I had my first child I didn't find time for sports and basically became a couch potato.  My husband's family is made up of all athletes.  They are all marathoners, triathletes, and even an IMer.  My husband just did his first sprint tri in Sept. with his sisters.  It looked like lots of fun and I was a little jealous. I am very competive and do not want to finsh last or even second last.  I have now signed up with the fam for St. Anthony's and I'm very excited and hoping to do good.

Family Status:  Married with 2 children.

Current training: I am currently doing the 16 week Olympic 2X balanced  training program.  My husband is doing the bike focused so this past week I biked a little extra. 

Last Year's Races: Thanksgiving day race 10K- 1:06:13

2007  Races: St. Anthony's, and few sprints

Weightloss:  I am 5'5" and weigh between 140-150lbs.  My weight fluctuates about 7lbs every week which is frustrating.  I would love to lose 15 to 20 lbs but my main goal is to finish the tri and feel good about it.Smile

Please consider mentoring me.

Thanks, 

Jenny

2007-01-12 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Hi Jenny, glad you dropped in!

We have another nurse here as well. How you gals make time for kids, career and working out is amazing!

Sounds like you have a good workout plan going ...and are already way ahead of DFL

It is a fun group. A little slow on questions but nice people!

Edited by Nob 2007-01-12 11:19 PM
2007-01-13 7:53 PM

Chattanooga, TN
Welcome Jenny and hello to everyone else.

It has been tough training this week and difficult to get to the forum to say hi. I had an extremely busy and stressful work week. Anyway, glad to be back.

My favorite training involves running as well. But, to me the distance isn't as important as the weather. Mild temperatures (mid 70's) with a gentle rain. I have always been a mudder truly enjoy running in the rain. The smells are incredible.

I hope to get in the water more this week and on the bike more. Unfortunately I might have to take a few days off from running. I pronate and have medically casted orthotics. I just had a new set made a few months ago and have had them adjusted twice already. However, they need to be adjusted again because I am still getting bad blisters in my arches.

Otherwise, I am feeling much stronger on the bike and on the run.
2007-01-15 8:05 PM
in reply to: #652649

User image

New user

Let's see my favorite workout is swimming.  I believe this is my favorite because it is quiet and peaceful.  Still trying to improve my stroke form.  The past two swims I felt like a fish out of water.  My second favorite work out would be the running.  I enjoy running with my sister in laws the always keep me motivated and ready to run more.  My least favorite work out is the bike.   I've been training indoors on the trainer which is okay.  Outside is what scares me.  Only rode twice outside due to weather.  I'm trying to get use to the clip pedals and I brake going down hills.  Good thing the tri is in florida.
2007-01-16 11:06 AM
in reply to: #655692

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Hi Jenny! I agree something always nice about getting back into the pool. When our club pool is empty makes me feel comfortable and warm. I like the feeling.

We live in the foothills of the Cascades. Only a few miles from the pass the crosses them on I90 so it is a pretty hilly area. Just getting in and out of our housing developement can be a struggle. With a 800' gain in under 2 miles on any of the three ways in it is a rough place to ride in and out of.

Clip-in pedals and hills are tough. Pretty much anyone who adds high tech pedals needs to plan on falling a few times in the beginning. I know I have and won't be surprised when it happens again. Tracy and I have gone to the local park for practice. She added knee and elbow pads and road around in the grass and parking lot clipping and unclipping. For the most part the pads saved her when she would fall over. Good, and more importantly safe practice.

Going down hill can be a scary adventure around here. We have added salmon colored Cool Stop pads (ones suggested for wet weather) to our bikes. Compared to Shimano black pads the Cool Stop pads really add stopping power no matter the conditions. On Tracy's bike we added an extra set of bar mounted brake levers as well as the set on the drops. The additional pair are easier to reach for her smaller hands and in a more up right and comfortabel riding position. Those two things have solved the braking issues on the bike. It hasn't totally bouyed her self confidence on the downhills but it has helped. Knowing she can easily control the speed allows her to add more speed comfortably on the downhills.

2007-01-17 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: RE: Nob's Group - FULLl
If you are like me I have a hard time learning from someone else's mistakes.

If you don't, here is an interesting scenario for you. Give me your ideas of what you think happened and why on this run? There are some good and bad points from a training perspective in this scenario. Do you know what they are?

History...normal slow long distance run is 7 miles right now. Did 6.5 last wekend, 5 the week before. Took the last 9 days off because I was lazy and unmotivated. Weather was between 30F and 35F today..partly cloudy. No food or water along for the fun. Light dinner last night and a protien shake for breakfast just before the run.

With a bit of cabin fever I took off on my weekely sld run this morning. Pace was normal at 3 miles.

Tell me what you think happened on the next 6 miles and why?
What would you suggest doing next?
2007-01-17 8:38 PM

Chattanooga, TN
I don't have much problem with eating healthy. I have been a big fan of Cliff Bars, for snacks after workouts, etc. However, I have yet to find a protein shake that I like.

Anyone have any favorite brands or recipes????
2007-01-17 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Not my favorite drink (bit gritty) but I use generic protien powder with some skim milk, a banana and what ever berries I have available...frozen or fresh. In a pinch I use orange jiuce instead of berries.
2007-01-18 12:41 PM

You probably slowed down a little over the next several miles. My guess is:
a. it doesn't sound like you had much food in your system. This also includes fluids.
b. no matter what your run was probably slower because your body wasn't used to running that much b/c you took nine days off.

I had an interesting situation yesterday, I went to an indoor spin class and rode to one of the spinervals. While riding the instructor came over and said we need to fit you better on your bike or you might seriously injure yourself. He said also that I am expending alot more energy than I should. Does this mean I will be able to go faster with the same amount of energy?
2007-01-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: #659444

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw

You probably slowed down a little over the next several miles. My guess is:
a. it doesn't sound like you had much food in your system. This also includes fluids.
b. no matter what your run was probably slower because your body wasn't used to running that much b/c you took nine days off.

Good call Trey. Not enough food for a couple hr work out. Not enough intake before the effort or during the effort. Close to a bonk in the last 45 min to an hr. Throughly unpleasant. Out too long to not drink with poor nutrition making it worse. I was never hungry or thirsty on the run (cool weather helped that)...which should remind us that the body doesn't always tell you what you need. Another rule of thumb to maintain your performance is 2hrs max with no food...less for no water. I generally do easy 2 hr work outs with neither but was reminded yesterday why 2 hrs is the limit.

Too much of a mileage increase even if I had kept up my running schedule..but those 9 days off made the jump from 7 to 9 miles too much. Should have stuck to the 10% rule. 7 miles would have been pleanty with the time off and I'd been much happier. Pace dropped off dramatically at 7 miles. I could have held that pace another mile with a big effort but with 2 more to go I just wanted to finish without tearing myself up any more than I already had. Better to do this kind of thing early season or better yet not at all.

You were spot on with your analysis, thanks.

While riding the instructor came over and said we need to fit you better on your bike or you might seriously injure yourself. He said also that I am expending alot more energy than I should. Does this mean I will be able to go faster with the same amount of energy?

Yes, that is exactly what it means. My first professional fit allowed me to then ride with some relative comfort and no pain on a bike I was having a hard time staying on an hour. My second bike fit a year later (the bike fit can change as you become more fit riding ) gained me a 2 mph increase in average TT speed...just by a having a more effecient body position. Most people get a bike fit because they are having some kind of of pain while riding. To use the bike most effeciently a proper fit makes everything you do on the bike easier and more pleasant plus you'll ride faster with less effort. It is money well spent.

2007-01-23 1:48 PM

where is everybody?
2007-01-23 2:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Wondered that myself.
No questions, no comments, no stories, no interest?

Got a 35 mile, outdoor ride, in a couple of days ago and a hr again yesterday. Really nice to get back outside on the bike. Little sore from the new bike fit.

Have you had your bike fit yet?

Edited by Nob 2007-01-23 2:27 PM
2007-01-23 3:21 PM

User image

New user

I have a question I rode the bike on the trainer today it's getting much easier(comfortable) than before.  I've been trying to keep my cadence between 80-90.  My sister in laws bike doesn't let me know how far I've gone because the thingy? is on the front wheel.  When I'm done biking I do not feel as excerted as I do after a run.  Is this normal or should I be trying harder on the bike.

Jenny

2007-01-23 3:48 PM
in reply to: #665280

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Good question

Biking is almost always going to be easier than the run if the workouts are a similar time frame. If you are on a trainer with the wheels level it can feel a lot easier. You want to get a good sweat going and keep a high cadence between 75 and 90 in moderate gears to really be working.

Power/climbing workouts are the hardest gear (small in back/large in front) and spinning along at 60/65. Still easier than running for most.

So yes, pretty normal. The bike is a good way to get fit without beating yourself up.

A HR monitor and some of the training tapes available can give you a much tougher workout on the bike if you want one.

Spinervals and Train Right are both good. Having used both I think TR has a more effective program for what most triatletes are looking for.

Trainer time is worth 1.25/1.5 to 1 of actual bike time btw. So 1:15 or 1:30 on the bike outdoors is like an hr on the trainer indoors.

Helps to remember that a Sprint tri is normally 12/14 miles on the bike and a 3/3.2 mile run.
Almost dbl the time on the bike as the run for most. Oly is 25 miles on the bike and 6.2 miles on the run.
2007-01-23 4:09 PM

User image

New user

Thanks, I do have a HR monitor but haven't used it really.  I tried using it when I first started running and the damn thing kept beeping so I turned it off and really haven't touched it since.   I did try doing one of the spinerval videos and they did one leg things that was impossible for me.  It was one of my first times on the bike. Maybe I to quick to scratch these things off of my training plan.  I'll try them again. Thanks.

I have another question for you.  My gym does not offer spin classes but does offer hydrorider classes.  Do you think this would be benificial in place of the trainer, since it's to cold and snowy to go outside.

Jenny

2007-01-23 4:38 PM
in reply to: #665380

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
It is worth the time to get your HR monitor up and working for you. The little things can tell you a lot. I use mine on some of my longer races to make sure I pace myself and for some of my shorter races to see just how close to blowing up I really am. But you have to first get that data from your work outs using one

The best place for their use though is in your base and build periods to make sure you are training the most efficently with your time. Very few people are able to (no one I have ever met including myself) without the HR feed back.

Any of the tapes can seem pretty daunting when you first watch them. Just hang in there on the workouts and do what you can without over doing it. In a few months you'll be doing the entire workload no problem. I freaked a bit myself on my first veiwing and thought "no way in hell I'll ever be able to stay with these guys". Takes some work but I generally can now, depending on the tape

Here is all I know about hrdro cycles,
"Cardiovascular and conditioning aquatic cycling class. Cycling in the water causes less pressure on joints and the lower back. Also the hydrostatic pressure and constant water massage increases blood flow and enhances circulation. Hydrorider bike workouts are similar to a spinning class, but on a bike built for the water. Interval training will be included in the workout. Hydrorider bike classes are limited to 10 participants and are available on a first-come, first-served basis each day. Aquatic sneakers required. Class endorsed by the AEA."

Might be a better program that first appears. Worth trying I think. The spin classes are usually way too aneorobic for us this time of year so this might be a great workout for base fitness. I'd love to hear what you think of them.

Last winter I did some water walking and found it much better than expected for rehab. Wish it had been suggested by my PT guy as it actually got me back on my feet much faster than some other suggestions. Since then all the water jogging/cycle stuff has taken on a different perspective.
2007-01-23 4:50 PM

Nob,

My bike fit is going to be at 9 on Saturday, and I am pretty excited.
2007-01-23 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Cool, please let us know what you think after a few rides.
2007-01-24 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Yea for me! I finally did a 2+ hr workout without bonking again. Had a couple of bad experiences in the last two weeks. Ended up walking the final hill to my house last week. Not sure why I was so stupid..twice...but I was. Today I burned 2500 cal, had an average HR of 158 and a max of 184 on the bike. 30 miles and 2800 feet of climbing. Nice sunny day and a good ride...climbing a little slow but it is early in the year.

What are the rest of you up to?
2007-01-27 12:15 PM

Chattanooga, TN
Sorry I have been so absent. I have been swamped at work, which doesn't allow enough time for other things. I have tried to keep my riding up, looking at doing the private swim lessons next week (if work allows) and have REALLY cut back on my running. The running is because the Doctor didn't fit my orthotics properly and they are killing my feet. But again, work hasn't allowed me enough free time to get back to the Dr. to adjust them.

At the moment I am just trying to do what I can with the time I have available. There are two personal trainers at my gym that are triathletes and are currently training for an IM in April in AZ. They have offered to help me with my training, including doing some runs/rides with me. One of them teaches a spin class on Wed. that I have tried to attend b/c he focuses on endurance riding.

Until next time . . .

2007-01-28 6:21 PM
in reply to: #666974

User image

New user

This past week sucked. I'm very disappointed in myself.  Lets see last sunday I shortened my long run because I hate the treadmill.  Monday turned into a rest day due to lack of babysitter and husband at work all day and night.  Tuesday I did my swim and bike.  Wed. tried to swim, cut it short from arms being sore from the day before.  Thursday sick.  Friday bike cut short due to a crying baby woke up. Sat. off day. Today I ran outside in 18 degrees (with wind chill felt like 3 degrees) and snow flurries.  Now I can't decide which is better the dreadmill or freezing.  I was wearing under armor so I was warm everywhere except for my ears and face.  I also had to stop and walk a couple times which I haven't had to do in quite awhile.  Starting tommorow is the first day of my rest week even though I should consider this past week a nice rest week.Smile Ready to finish my entire work outs this week. 

Jenny

2007-01-29 1:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Glad you guys are hanging in there. Cool to get some local training partners. Hard to stay focused when the weather doesn't cooperate.

We've had great weather for the last few days, thankfully. 50 degrees miday, perfect for riding and a few more day coming. I need ot get out and run again.

I finally cleared up the cold brought on my my stupidity and the bonks. Had a awesome ride yesterday..3700 vert in 6 miles...two good climbs. Hit a new MHR on the bike as well. So I know I am working Only down side was scaring myself on the 40+ mph decent when I cracked one of my 303s. Little to no front brake on a 17% grade going down hill with no run out. Happy the day was over by the time I "hit" the bottom.

Afternoon nap was even better!
2007-02-05 12:32 PM

This weekend was amazing as far as confidence building goes, because I rode 37 miles on Saturday and then followed it up with a 47 mile ride on Sunday. I'm training for the MS150 race in which we will ride from Houston to Austin in 2 days.
2007-02-06 10:06 PM
in reply to: #679732

User image

New user

That's awesome, keep up the good work.  I took advantage of my rest week and hopefully will get my workouts back on track this week.  Although thats what I said last week. Smile  I just went to look at new bikes this week with my husband.  I waiting to buy during the sale at the end of the month.  I can't wait hopefully this will help me enjoy biking more.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nob's Group - FULLl Rss Feed  

of 5