Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-12-28 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: Nob's Group - FULLl
Nob / Dane

Did my first tri (1/2 IM) as a cross training lark in 1982 and thought that run was one of the hardest physical things I had done at the time. From grade school through high school I swam on swim teams and worked as a beach lifeguard in college. From the late '70s through the '80s I worked as a climbing guide. I road a bike all that time but never spent any serious training time on one. While I do run I have never been a great runner.

Did a second Tri (a Sprint) in 2005 as a commitment to myself to change my lifestyle back to something I was proud of and more importantly, happy with.

We have been married for 11 years and have no children past our 10 month old Rottweiler puppy. ZuZu is also my new running partner.

I am a big fan of Polar products and have been using HR as basis for my training and tracking my race info for several years (worried about being over weight and exercise when I started). I am currently doing more biking because of a knee injury. I enjoy the bike so much (and it is the easiest time gain in a Tri) that I plan on training with a Power Tap system on the bike this season.

Last year I did a number of Sprints, a couple of Olys, a couple of 1/2s (with Troika again) and a IM. I typically finish in the top of my AG at anything up to a 1/2IM.

I had a very full race schedule last year with 10 Tris alone. That added to a number of Century rides, running and bike road races with a 100 mile Adventure race thrown in for good measure has me rethinking what I want to do this year. I am looking at concentrating on a specific distance but have not decided on which one yet.

Weight loss? Looking for a weight loss is what got me back into doing Tris. I still want to drop another 20# and get back to a weight I rock climb at. I was able to loose 50# in the last year and add some muscle. But as we all know, it is really hard to loose it and keep it off. I now love riding my bikes, but the weight loss goal alone keeps me working out.

Edited by Nob 2007-01-14 12:50 PM

2006-12-29 1:49 PM
in reply to: #635797

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: Nob's Group -Open
2006-12-29 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Have you ever been scared in the water? With literally days in the water and miles and miles of swimming, I have, in my second Tri. (it gets better, honest)

Have you thought that riding 50 or 100 miles on a bike was only for the real hardcore and slightly insane? I did until recently. (it's not)

Hard for you to run a mile? I couldn't walk more than a few blocks this time last year without serious pain. With a reinjury I am back to walking and light bike workouts.

Have an injury that is getting you down? Did OATs transplants in my knee after a bike car accident last winter and it still bothers me.... a lot.

Been over weight with little motivation to get started? I was up 70# from what I use to call "normal". Now down 50 of that and able to accomplish much of what I wanted to for short term goals. While slow it is doable.

I am still fighting (winning or loosing depending on the day) to loose another 20# and down to a "race" weight.

I've talked both my wife and my brother-in-law into doing a Tri with me. While they didn't catch the Tri bug, they both became avid bike riders and runners!

I'm 53 and still having a wonderful time doing Tris. 2 years ago I just wanted to finish a Sprint. Today a IM or a dbl century ride are something I know I can accomplish. A Sprint race is something I now do as a training day, for fun! It all comes just a step at a time if you have the patience and will power to stick with it. (easy to write-harder to do)

I am also a gear freak....it's an old climbing habit. I have built 6 bikes in the last 2 years off Ebay and rebuilt my tri bike.

2006-12-31 8:39 PM

Hi Nob!

I'll join your group if you'll have me!

Let's see. Here's the deal: I'm 23, working as a teacher, and ready to move on with my life in many ways. I have been wanting to tri for about 6 months now and just haven't gotten around to training seriously. I need to get into a sport that will help me get in shape, lose weight, and keep me occupied.

I played basketball in high school and college. I have been weight training with the WT coach at my school since september, and I will continue training with him until school gets out in May (I have strength as well as cardio goals I must meet by summer).

Problem: I do not have access to a pool (due to finances and location) so I will have to stick to biking/running for a while. I am a pretty good swimmer, though. I'm fairly confident that I will at least be able to finish the swim portion of a sprint, even if my time won't be great.

So, any suggestions on where I should start? I don't have a race picked out yet because I don't know what a reasonable time frame would be...

I need a good motivator - you sound like you fit the bill! I look forward to being active again!
2006-12-31 11:19 PM
in reply to: #638119

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
You're welcome here and from the sounds of it already ahead of the game!

If you can swim you already have a big hurtle out of the way. My wife did her sprint doing back stroke the entire way and did fine, even passing a number of people and surprizing herself. For many of the folks that get into doing Tris swimming can be the hardest part mentally....nice that swimming is the least amount of time during a race.

Swimming can be scary for some but really not that important if you can slog it through. (wet suits are a huge help with being able to do that for any swimmer beginner or expert)

You'll have lots of time to meet all your fitness goals by starting now. Most folks will be building base this time of year which means long and slow runs, swims and bikes. If you haven't done any endurance stuff you'll be surprised just how slow you need to go to get the most benefit long term. If you have the funds a heart rate monitor ( simple HR is all that is needed nothing fancy) will really help training in all three sports. Be happy to walk you through getting set up with your own training. Pretty easy once you get started and get the right numbers for bike, swim and running.

This early in the season I try to work on my "limiters". In my case that is running so while I'd rather ride the bike I try to get in some longer runs. Avoid injury by only adding 10% on runs and bike rides. Might sound silly but you don't want an injury to stop training just when things are really beginning to take off for you aas the races begin. I am the worse case scenario for that kind of thing..going too fast. too far. too soon and paying for it later.

One of my biggest modivators is using the BT logs here that are free. Take a look there and get started with your own logging. It can be really fun.

Working on WT this time of year is another good priority. It will really help later in the season as you begin to run and bike more and WT less and you become stronger and change your goals to a a specific race or races.

Sorry, I realise that is a bit rambling.

Best thing to do is train smart so you don't have to train hard.

Most of the training schedule thoughts I'll post are from Joel Freil. He has several really good books out on Tri training, specifically " The Triathalon Training Bible". But I'll post some of the basic idea to help you get started.

Our training "season" is split into 4 sections, prep, base, build, peak. The season length is defined by your fitness and goals. I am working on a 12 season this year but did a 9 month season last year with down time from surgery last winter. I did a 6 month season the year before just to get started working out on a schedule again. If you haven't been training for awhile you do prep first, preparing your body to take on the base load of training (base is generally long slow workouts). The "building" section is taking on a even bigger work load and making your body stronger depending on your priorities. Peak is easing off on the training load and getting enough rest to perform at your best. You might do mini "sessions" inside your peak period depending on how long you want the peak to last. Peak can be a week and only one race or 2 months with several races depending on what you want to do during your "race season" There is a bunch more to it but those are the basics.

I have yet to fully write out my own schedule for the next year. I have sketched out some of my goals but am still trying to decide what I really want to do for my own season.

Writing down your goals for the next year will really help you define your own training plans and make the most of your time. It isn't written in stone by any means but will give you the time frames you'll need to set up your own season and periods within that season to get the most of your workouts.

By Feb 1 I will have finalized mine and will post it here. I suspect this group will motivate me way more than any of you Thanks for joining!

Feel free to ask any question. I'll do my best to answer or send you in the right direction.
2007-01-01 9:55 AM

Chattanooga, TN
Hey Nob!

I'm interested in joining your group. I am a 33 year-old father of two (6 yr old boy; 3 mth old girl). I was always athletic growing up, was on college scholarship for cross country, track and basketball. My PRs are 4:23 mile, 16:21 5k, 27:24 5 mile (NAIA distance). I was pushing too hard by the end of my sophmore year that I spent more time in the trainer's room (knees, ankles, and a collapsed lung) than out training and finally decided to give up my scholarships. Since then I have been fairly lazy, at least what I would consider lazy having gone from logging 50+ mile weeks to only occasionally going for a light jog. Did I mention that I have gone from 6 ft. and 145 lbs. during my "running days", and now weigh approximately 195 lbs?

Anyway, I accepted a challenge last January from a friend. The goal was to do a 5k, then a 10k, 1/2 marathon, and finish with a marathon before the end of the year. Well, I started training (as I typically do, I pushed too hard too quickly), and wound up with sore knees and had to skip our first 5k date. I then did my 5k while he did his 10k. I ran a whopping 22:18. Which I guess isn't bad for someone who has been a sloth for the past 12 years! However, this is a major contrast from the times I consistently ran in high school and college. Well, this same friend convinced me to do a sprint triathlon instead of the 1/2 marathon.

He picked the Nissan X-Terra Off-Road Triathlon Series for our introduction to the sport. I had two months to train and had no idea what I was doing. I didn't even own a bike! Well, I bought a used mountain bike, started swimming at the community pool and kept running. The race did not go as well as I had hoped. It was a 1 mile swim, 15 mile mountain bike and 5 mile run. I suffered from severe dehydration and dropped out after completing the swim and bike. A week later I found out that I had injured both IT bands. The Doctor had me take time off, do exercises and get orthotics to help combat my severe pronation problem.

After all this, I concluded one thing . . . I AM going to be a triathlete OR die trying. But, I realize I need some help . . . THAT IS WHERE YOU COME IN. I have recently joined the local gym b/c it has an indoor lap pool and spin classes. They hold a triathlon swim class every Tuesday morning, which I plan to consistently attend. I have been doing the 1 hour spin classes 3x a week, which are much more intense than I thought they would be (which is a good thing). However, I need help developing a training schedule, nutrition plan and staying motivated. All this and I don't have much time to train (due to work, wife and kids).

My goals are:

1. Complete two sprint triathlons before summer
2. Complete a 1/2 IM before the end of 2007
3. Complete a 1/2 marathon before the end of 2007
4. Complete a marathon by spring of 2008
5. Complete a IM by the end of 2008!

Any help you can provide me would be much appreciated. I look forward to being a part of this group!

2007-01-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: #638293

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Welcome Chad and Happy New Year!

Man you guys are so motivating! Doing WT, running sub 5 minute miles in the past! Having great goals for the future! Makes my head spin

I like to think at times big hearts/minds can make for fragile bodies. Let me explain. In my mind I am in a lot better athelete than I am in real life. I know this because every time I feel like I am getting into really good shape I usually do something that seems like a perfectly logical step in my training and then I hurt myself by over doing it. (over course it would not be logical to anyone else looking in) In the past I could absorb that kind of abuse with no ramifications but not now. I don't think it is an issue of growing older. I really think it is an issue of time.

But then I also see myself as a world class athelete in every sport with just too many, more important time committments

Jobs and family take up a lot of time. I don't spend every waking minute swimming, climbing or riding my bike anymore. I spend a lot of time at a desk now. The more time spent sitting means less time building your base and typically adding body weight. 10 mile workouts easily turned into 1 mile walks. Added body weight will add injuries if you aren't really careful. You get the idea.

Cool thing now is that there are entirely new foundations in training info available now that were 10 years ago. As I mentioned we can easily train "smart" and see big gains without injury.

Wow Chad, I have to admire you for jumping on the Sprint X-terra. Most Sprints are 1/4 or 1/2 swims. Full mile swims are 1/2 IM territory. Mtn bike races are brutal compared to road bike races. That was a tough way to jump into tri racing!

Good call on the orthotics. They'll help your running injuries and on the bike. We your proposed schedule I would be thinking about getting a tri specific bike soon and more importantly having it professionally fit.

While spin classes can be good for certain things they aren't the only kind of bike riding you want to be doing right now. You need base. And by your comments your looking for some weight loss. You want long, slow workouts. I know you guys are thinking I am crazy but high intensity stuff comes later. Right now hard aerobic and anaerobic workouts will actually hurt your long term progess. You have to go long and slow first to be fast later.

Couple of other things to think about. You really want to try an Oly or two between the Sprints and 1/2 IM. I'd also suggest a "super sprint" for a first race. Something with 1/4 swim, 10/15 bike and a 5K run. With your running back ground the runs should be your real strength. For most everyone the real races begin at the run. The swim is short enough time wise that you can stay competitive without too much trouble. The bike is the easiest place to get faster with gear and miles. But the run is really basic...endurance, speed and a set of shoes. Most Tris are won or lost on the run.

Sounds like you just need a little help getting through the swim and bike to unleash your run.

Again a basic HR monitor and the BT logs are a good place to start. And try to remember the 10% run on your workouts!

(never go more than 10% (use mileage or time) more than your last workout)
2007-01-01 3:28 PM

Chattanooga, TN
Subject:
Nob,

I appreciate your response and advice! I agree with you . . . the run is my strength (or was). Everything I read agrees with your advice. I really need to focus on building a base. Long slow runs, long slow rides, and improved swim stroke/breathing technique. BUT, my dilemma is that I get frustrated (or bored) quickly. That is when I start to push myself (often, or always, too soon). I think that is where with a good training schedule and someone to help me keep in all in perspective will do me good.

If I can focus my attention to improving in the swim and bike, I am sure I'll do just fine. As for the swim, I need to improve my technique. I made it through my prior race swim of 1 mile in 45:30 with horrific technique. I see this area as an area that I can really improve. As for the bike, I have no idea what to expect since I have never done road cycling before.

I just found this site yesterday and really am unsure what I can find/use off this site. I found some training programs, but I'm not sure if I should use one designed for sprint, olympic or 1/2 IM tri-training. Should I follow the olympic training schedule, but compete in a few sprints first. Or, should I train for a sprint and after completing the sprint, then move onto the olympic training schedule? I think the latter is probably the right answer, but want to find out from someone who obviously knows more than I.

Also, can you guide me to any other good triathlon sites that I should check out? I am looking for a site that will help me find races in my area and another that will educate me on equipment. I have no clue what equipment I will need, let alone what brands, etc. Any help you can provide in this area would also be appreciated.

Thanks again for the insight! Have a great holiday!
2007-01-01 4:40 PM
in reply to: #638444

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: RE:
Hey Chad you are not alone. I think the boredom part of slow and long gets to many of us. I know it does me. There are times you just have to cut loose and pound yourself to feel good

Best not to do that close to race day!

I could use you as a mentor for running. I find that I do better at maintaining long and slow this time of year if I switch around in my training. Swimming will give you a great long slow burn no matter your skill level. Bike is easy all you need to do now is ride. I spend an hr at a time on an indoor trainer either watching TV or working from one of Carmicheals tapes. But I have to be careful with the tapes as they can turn into a spin class way too easily. Last winter I was doing 2 to 4 hrs on the trainer at a time. Which is too much I suspect from most accounts. Good long and slow and important sometimes..dry. Now on the nice days I'll take it outside for what ever time I do have. That is where I'll pound myself. But nice thing about a well fitted bike it is really hard to hurt yourself past a crash.

For now on the rain days I run or swim. During winter we have lots of rain here in Seattle.
And sneek in a good indoor ride when time allows or I am too lazy to get wet.

Take a look at the BT training calendar and start logging. I find that my goal even now is to get something/anything logged for training. Even if it is only a walk with the dog. Heck I use to log mowing the lawn! The more you log the more you'll likely do if you are as lazy as I can be.

Here is the link to the calendar.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-monthly...

and a day..
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/add-event.asp...

Let me know if the links work will you?

BT/Mike Ricci's training plans are really good. Best way to start I think is to find one that fits in with you current training load. For many just starting out, the Sprint plan is the better plan. As it only requires a small/no base. I was so pathetic when I decided to start training again I just bought a new Tri bike first and started riding. No riding before that and no other plan, just ride as hard as I could. At the time I though a 10 mile ride was awesome. Two weeks later after half dozen rides, a couple of jogs and one 2 mile swim I did my first sprint. Not really the way I would recommend getting started The sprint wasn't fun because of it. But there has to be a first and I finished which is what was important to me at the time. Now that I think about it finishing is still my biggest goal..even though winning my AG is there now as well. On anything over a Sprint I am still just happy finishing in one piece on the run. The podium is not the real goal. Holding my run together is.

But having a new bike made me want to ride and work out. I also found out that what I really needed to do was drop my weight to be comfortable on the bike. A better diet and running were the best ways to do that effectively. So I ended up eating less and slow runs...not long slow runs, just slow runs. I started walking/jogging 1/2 mile, then a mile and within a few months I was out to 10. Did way more running than biking as it turned out the first year. I should have stuck with the bike as I would have had less injuries from the pounding. But it did take the weight off over time. I am back to running now even if I'd rather not....because I get bored running the kinds of runs I should be doing. Long and slow. My idea of a fun run is a good uphill trail run. Just this weekend I promised myself no more trails until I had some really good base in on my flat RR bed gravel trails locally.

What I am trying to say is you don't have to have a workout plan per say at the beginning, you just need to find the motivation in the three sports to make an effort most days. Training everyday can burn you out quickly and it won't allow you to build without the proper amount of rest.

I find it easier to stay committed if I don't over committ and feel guilty in my lack of training. Sounds like we share the "over doing" part of training. Better to go easier and not get injured than to pound out a big training load and then not be able to race. I'd rather race under trained than injured. With a little forthought I suspect with your legs and lungs will get you through any Tri. (clue here..even Lance shys away from mtn bike races

Planned rest is another "train smart/not hard" eye opener for me. I use to train every day. You rested when you were sick or hard to work. Bad idea! You need to plan rest days to get stronger. So if you think slow and long is tough, try reading in bed when you want to be out on the bike hammering away

Here is the best calender I have found for WA.
Try it for Tenn.
http://www.trifind.com/tn.html

Slowtwitch is another forum that is good for info but a bit over done at times
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?;category=1

one of my favorite bike info sites
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=aeab...

Gear believe it or not is easy. Just hard on the pocket book done all at once if you get in deep.

Lots of gear info here.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?...

Slow Twitch is very good as well.
2007-01-01 6:49 PM

Nob - room for one more?

My name is Dave. I am a 31-year-old Marine, married, no kids. I have always been active: swam/wrestled/played lacrosse in high school (but not very well), rowed a bit in college (but not very well), and kept in shape for my job (THAT I do well). I was on the Crossfit.com kick for a few months and still do that with my buddies from time to time to keep things interesting.

I have a herniated disk (L5) which causes some pain (sometimes bad sciatica), but the doctors cleared me to beat myself to death in pretty much every activity except heavy squats and deadlifts. Sometimes it takes me awhile to limber up, though. Yoga and stretching have become my friends.

I got a road bike in September and have been riding it on the roads as much as possible and on the trainer the rest of the time. I have been running a bit more than I used to, and, hopefully, the pool at the gym will be fixed by the time I get back home from vacation (tomorrow).

I too train with a HRM. While doing some LSD (not the drug, of course) recently, I noticed that my HR spikes A LOT when I first start out running, then settles down into Z2-Z4 like I want it to. I think that my morning coffee might be the culprit.

My present work schedule allows for a lot of training time. Unfortunately, it also means that I live several states away from my wife for the time being (which sucks), but again... more time to train. I currently live in northern Virginia, but will be uprooted again sometime this summer to move to Twentynine Palms, CA, in the Mojave Desert.

With the summer schedule a bit vague, I am focusing on short-term goals right now:
- Several sprints to start - I found good local stuff in April and May
- Oly distance - May-Sep, as time allows

(Forgive my double post from the "I'm new" thread)

Also, with my background, and potential schedule, can you recommend a good training plan? I have seen the ones on this site, and they look great, but I don't quite know how to go about setting up a plan with multiple races. I am assuming that a sprint would qualify as a good long workout and wouldn't break me down too much if I had a longer-term oly plan in effect for weeks/months later. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by dave699 2007-01-01 9:11 PM
2007-01-01 7:49 PM
in reply to: #638582

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Hey DAVE, and welcome aboard!

Thanks for the service to our country. You guys pay a lot in relationships and time away from home. Anyway, thanks.

You have a good jump on any training program by training on a HR monitor. Remember to start really slow on the LSD stuff. Keep track of your waking heart rate and your heart rate before suiting up for exercise. Your spike my be normal for you or something you can eliminate by cutting coffee or your prep for the workout. You wnat to find out though. The more records (HR -waking-LT-MHR, diet, exercise) the easier and better you can set up your own training schedule.

Freil's Training Bible will give the info on setting up your own schedule in great detail. But here is what I use. The same basic, prep, base, build, peak cycles apply in any training program. Races are definded by being A, B or C races. A races are big goals. C races are something you do with in your normal training. Intensity may or may not be 100% on a C race and at 110% in a A race. ( I have a hard time not doing 110% in any race which is not smart) Last season my big A race was my last Tri race in Sept. I did sprints for fun and Olys for a high intensity work out. 1/2 IMs were done for endurance to test my fitness for the longer distance in Sept. (actually "Nice" distance. 2.5 mile swim, 75 mile bike and a 18 mile run).

Most of the pre printed plans only incorporate one race. Adding races will force you to write your own training plan or hire a coach to do it for you. I wrote my first, one year plan last year. I have started writing the new one for this year but still have yet to decide what races I want to concentrate on. So I have to do that first. When your race priorities are decided then you can easily write a weekly/daily plan from your yearly..monthly plan.

Once you work through a Sprint plan and have the fitness base to easily do a Sprint, the obvious next goal is an Oly and then a 1/2 if the longer distances are a goal. (they aren't goals for every Triathelete) I have a buddy who is an amazing cyclist and runner but doesn't like swimming. (although he isn't bad at it) So he only races Sprints. The guys is very fast and typically wins his AG and places in the top 10 OA.

Anyway once you have a physical base for Sprints, adding Sprints as a workout/race will be easy as you work on a a base for a Oly, 1/2 or higher endurance level. I'll do all my spring sprints and olys as workouts. Early season 1/2s will be long woirkouts. My first peak will be for a A race, a Sprint, in late June or July. Then I'll want to peak again the first 2 weeks of Sept. (goal is to win a few races in my AG this year) Takes a bit of juggling to get the peaks right. What we do now for base/build is what allows you to lengthen that peak time frame. But typically one good peak is going to be it (Lance did one for 3 weeks in July every year-everything else was just training) Mortals like us might get two at a lower intensity.

Cool thing is as your base gets bigger your shorter races should be getting faster. LS training will beat the soxs off speed training. You need both types of training to do your best but LS is what you need for the majority of triathlon training.

So it is easy to race a lot and peak within a schedule if you take rest days as required by your work load (not always your mental load) I hated the taper required to do well for the long races. I wanted to be working out....hard. Just because I felt really strong from the build and taper.

Just realise you can't physically be at your best for every race. You'll have a physical peak that will need a taper to make it work. Taper length (time) will depend on the length of the race you want to peak for. IE, a day of so for a Sprint and a week or two for a IM. Again, training smart instead of hard.

2007-01-01 8:26 PM

Alright. So I've got two quesitons.

First: This HR monitoring business...what is it? I was an athlete - but I pretty much just did what my coach told me. I was never really into training for myself..which is what I am trying to get into.

Second: Where do I start in setting up a training schedule? You mentioned in a previous post that one needs to start in a 'prep' phase - but I am not sure what that means and how exactly I should be training...

I've been thinking about making a 5K and then a sprint in April/May my goals... but that's as far as I've gotten...

Hope you all had a Happy New Year's!

- Laura
2007-01-01 9:55 PM
in reply to: #638655

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Hey Laura, thanks for answering what was going to be my first question...what to call you since I hadn't looked at your profile yet.

"fly fungus" was a tiny bit scary

HR monitoring is easy once you get into it. To train smart...with less effort and better results you'll want to monitor your HR. Several good monitors out there for around $50. You have monitor that resembles a watch and a chest strap you wear while working out. Most everyone trains too hard when they train. Slow or no results and bad long term training. You can do with out a HR monitor obviously but it is easy to use long term training aid.

You'll want to document your resting HR. (taken before you get out of bed after an easy day not a race or hard work out.) Then you'll want to document and keep track of your HR through different levels of exercise. Finding out what your HR is through different levels of exertion will give you an idea of what "zone" you want to train in for what ever level of the season you are in. There are 5 HR zones 1 through 5. Typically we'll train in zone 2 or low in 3 and race in HR 5 in a sprint, zone 3 and 4 in a IM. Sounds complicated at first and when you read about it it can sound crazy complicated. Basically what you'll find out by collecting the data is your lactate threshold and how to work most effectively work your training around that number.

Here is a great link with some links in the 2nd post to get you started down that road.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Setting up a schedule?

Sounds like one of the free BT/Mike Riccis sprint workout schedules would fit your short term goals. Take advantage of it or build your own from those models.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans...

But I am a big advocate of using the free BT trianing logs for your own info and workouts.

Here ...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

let me know if that helps.

Forgot?!

I don't have a race picked out yet because I don't know what a reasonable time frame would be...

Did you mean time frame to train for a specific length race or the time frame a particular race would normally take?

Edited by Nob 2007-01-02 3:13 PM
2007-01-01 10:51 PM
in reply to: #638629

Cool. All good points. First things first, then; or, more appropriately, LAST things first. I need to figure out what my A race(s) will be and then back up from there.

In the meantime, I'll set up a good extended base routine. I'm coming off of some vacation time and looking forward to getting back in the pool and riding my bike again!

So, does this mean that I'm on the team, Coach Nob?

(Oh, also - you're quite welcome. My pleasure, and thank you for your kind words.)
2007-01-01 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
You're in! Now give me fifty
2007-01-01 11:12 PM

How about 53? One for each of your years?

2007-01-01 11:14 PM

Note to self - check RHR before getting out of bed in the morning. I always mess this up. I don't like to wear a watch to bed but it might help me remember.
2007-01-02 12:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I can see this is going to be a tough job for an old guy

Resting pulse is best taken after a wake up without alarm and a visit to the bathroom. Same time every day if you can.

Edited by Nob 2007-01-02 12:25 AM
2007-01-02 12:31 AM

User image

New user

Hi all -

I'll bite!
My name is Kate, I am 40 years old and the mom of 3 boys - 8, 5 and 3. I work in a kid's emergency room and another nurse suggested : ) I sign up for the Danskin sprint Tri. Hmm. To me it sounded like a wonderful way to motivate myself to get into the condition I want, need, desire to be in.
Before kids was a surfer in my teens and 20's - did an AIDs ride in my late 20's. Since the kids - well ... I practice yoga when I can. I am not overweight but am no where near as strong as I once was.
I am a fledgling beginner and excited to have this tri as a goal. It's always been a thing I have wanted to do - just needed the kick in the pants to get started.
I have to admit I am somewhat unsure of my ability to pull it off - most of this revolves around finding time or making the time to train.
Although as I write this - if I bring the kids along on their bikes while I run it might be a good way to wear them out.

So glad to have found this virtual support - I like what I've read so far - true and genuine.

Kate
2007-01-02 2:32 AM
in reply to: #638783

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Hi Kate! We have a great team joining up. You'll fit right in.

All of you need to remember that Tris are really not all that hard with a little support and some effort. You'll all be repeating that matra by this time next season.

I suspect you have to be a decent swimmer with the past surfing? Involving the family is a perfect way to get them interested and some trainning in as well. Most local races will have a kids tri after the race is finished. They are a hoot to watch.

Tris have gotten my wife and I out to run and bike together and now she is trying to decide on what upcoming Tri (might be 2 which would be a huge step for her) she wants to do this season. And how she'll have to make the time for the training and other things she enjoys doing plus actually learning to swim past a back/side stroke She has been behind me 110% for every race. If this is something she wants to do I'll try to make sure she has the support she needs.

Here is a caution for any of you in picking your first race. Danskin locally has 5000 women racing. My first sprint tri had almost 2000 people in it. Many folks do their first tri and never go back because of a bad experience in their first wave start on the swim. It can be brutal if the race is big. Or just really bad if you place yourself in the wrong part of the wave in a smaller race.

I had been swimming laps on one team or another literally since 1st grade through college, Played some nasty water polo, then a beach guard, scuba school, and later a white water guide on Idaho rivers. Never, ever, been concerned or uncomforatble in the water, even after almost drowning on the river.

But I almost bailed from my first sprint tri several hundred yards from the beach. I was stunned. Couldn't believe it was happening as I bobbed there in the water, people still swimming by and a rescue kayak sitting off a ways to my side. I had swam a couple of miles the week before to see where I was at physically. Not fast but comfortable doing 1/2 mile no problem. But as many first timers do, I went out too fast with my wave. Ran out of breath a couple hundred yards into the swim, paused in open water and was then ran over and pummeled by the wave behind me coming through. If not for the extra floatation of the wet suit I would have quit right then. I remembered that awful feeling the rest of the race and in every race that season. I now am a lot more cautious on my swims and more aware of who is around me at all times.

So if you have the opportunity and really want Tris to be a fun I suggest starting small

That said Tris really are easy. Sprint swims are usually 18 or 35 laps in a 25 yard pool. (1/4 mile or 1/2 swim) The bike is 12/14 miles. (took me an hr and a half on my first Sprint) and the run is 3.1 miles. (I walked most of my first)

The point for me was to finish that race. I did. It wasn't the hardest thing I had ever done. I was a full 50 lbs over weight @ 51 and I didn't die. Your first Tri might well be a challenge but for most it won't be the hardest thing you have done.
2007-01-02 2:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
So far we have:

Laura, 23, a strong swimmer, doing WT now and looking for...
- a 5K
- Sprint race early in the season.

Chad, 33, an extremely strong runner in the past, a bit fragile from over training and wanting to
-Complete two sprint triathlons before summer
-Complete a 1/2 IM before the end of 2007
-Complete a 1/2 marathon before the end of 2007
Next year's goal are the IM distances.

Dave, 31, fit now doing LS training with HR monitor. Goals are up in the air a bit still picking his A/B/C races.
- Several sprints in April and May
- Oly distance - May-Sep

Kate, 40, I suspect a strong swimmer. Just getting started and has only one goal at the moment past finding the time to train
-A Danskin sprint.

Have I missed anything?

My suggestion to everyone is, first and formost make a mental commitment to your race or races after some serious soul searching. When you write it down you will "own" that race. The same day start logging your daily weight, resting and workout HRs and workout loads on the BT training logs. You have just begun the journey to finish your first Tri! Buy Friels training Bible..and get a HR monitor. I'll help you learn how to use both to easily (easy for me to say) attain your own goals.

2007-01-02 8:14 AM

Subject: HR/wetsuits
HR is going to be hard for me to remember. First, once I'm off vacation, I wake up with an alarm clock every day. Second, I usually have a little pain from my back issue first thing in the morning (is it Motrin time yet?), and if I recall correctly (help me out here, Laura), pain causes a spike in HR. Maybe if I do it at the same time, in the same conditions everyday, I can note increases anyway, despite the slightly skewed numbers.

Wetsuits - Nob, you mentioned you used one for your first tri. Leftover from scuba, borrowed, or bought? My potential first race(s) will likely be in fairly chilly water.
2007-01-02 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I would like to Join your Group if you'll take me.. I am also from Seattle/Bellevue Area, and looking for a group to join. I have been racing for about 7 years, and did my 1st Ironman last year, and looking forward to doing more. My 2 goals this summer is Lake Steven's in under 5:40, and climbing Mt. Rainer (triathlon's will be a good part of my training for this!)....
2007-01-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: #638803

User image

New user

Nob - 2007-01-02 2:32 AM
But I almost bailed from my first sprint tri several hundred yards from the beach. I was stunned

I think I'll be in the w.........a.................y back.
Like you (when you describe your re-entry to tris) this is not about time for me - I just want to finish. Next year I might come back with loftier goals but for now - finish sounds good - oh, without hurting myself : )

Thanks for doing this - it surely is a tremendous help.

K
2007-01-02 12:36 PM
in reply to: #639085

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Hi Steve! Glad you dropped in. Nice to have a local with us. With your experience sounds like you should be doing this instead of me. Congrads on your IM finish.

All of you have specific experiences to add. Feel free to jump in any time with info, comments or opinions.

Steve, I am south of Issaquah as a reference. Don't know if your are interested in such things or have already seen it but this is fun.

http://www.bicycleclimbs.com/

Rainier? If you are ever looking for a partner let me know. I still try to do it a once or twice a year. If you haven't been on Mt Si it can be a good training run for Rainier. With your base you should be looking at the easy way, a one day ascent

Wetsuits - Nob, you mentioned you used one for your first tri. Leftover from scuba, borrowed, or bought? My potential first race(s) will likely be in fairly chilly water.

Dave, I was lucky enough to have bought a QR tri suit to do long distance swimming in several years before I go back into tris.

For first timers or anyone thinking about big weight loss I'd encourage you to rent a suit for the first race. They are usually cheap ($25/30) and can even be done by mail order if required. I have had 2 QR suits both which were good. I now am using a DeSoto 2 piece which is the best thing I have swam in. Better yet as a two piece suit if offers many options for temp control and what part of the suit you need to wear. I can be a lot more specific than this if you need more info on wet suits. If you are going to buy make sure you try a bunch of them on. Mail order places will let you exchange sizes/styles if needed. You want one you cna try in a pool first before being committed to that suit. Just make sure you get the suit tight enough and don't rip finger nail holes in them trying them on. Tight in the store will generally make decent in the pool. A poorly fitting, loose (comfortable in the store) suit will carry too much water and tire you out swimming. Too tight of suit will hamper your breathing and constrict your shoulder movement. But you cna't tell until you swim in them. Obviously neither extreme is a good thing

Resting HR? Same time/same condition should do it. What you are looking for is a spike in HR after a hard workout the day before or major life stress. 3 to 5 beats is not a big deal just a caution and heads up. +10 or so and you want to think about a recovery or rest day dpending on your training load.

Kate..good for you. We'll get into the specifics of how not to get ran over in wave starts in another post. Your positioning in your wave can make a huge difference but you also have to be aware that there are other waves coming up after you. Lots of techniques to keep you safe and sound but good to know them ahead of time and walk yourself through them if your first race is really BIG.

Edited by Nob 2007-01-02 12:38 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nob's Group - FULLl Rss Feed  

of 5