Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2006-12-31 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Subject: fb444's Group FULL
Fb444 / Fred

STORY: 51 year old male, been doing various sports all my life and decided to have a go at triathlons 2 years ago. Have so far competed in 7 sprint tri’s in the Michigan area. Prior to that have a long history running (competed in the London marathon (UK) 3 times, also have a passion for mountain biking and watching motorcycle racing.

FAMILY STATUS: 51 year old male, married with 3 children (23, 18 & 15). Born in England and moved to the US in 2000, currently living in Michigan.

CURRENT TRAINING: Bike just over 2000 miles this year, but only ran 200 due to a nagging calf injury. Just basic training right now with intent to step up the pace mid January.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 3 sprint tri’s at Ann Arbor, Clarkston and Holly.

2007 RACES: Nothing entered as yet, planning 6 tri’s and a couple of runs. Maybe also a bike race but not yet decided.

WEIGHTLOSS: No weight-loss goals, have been 175 lbs. (+/- a few) for the last 20 years.

Look forward to sharing what I have learned in the past 2 years.

Edited by fb444 2007-01-23 10:48 PM

2007-01-02 10:59 AM
in reply to: #637728

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: fb444's Group OPEN
2007-01-14 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

Hi Fred.  Is your group open?  I would love to join.

My name is Laura and I've done one triathlon this past August.  I'm 38 years old and live in Colorado.  I am married, but don't have kids, just 3 dogs, a cat, and a horse which I ride competetively.   I moved to Colorado 5 years ago from Dallas. 

I've been a cyclist for many years, mountain and road, but have always sucked at running.  I always had problems with plantar faciitis when I would try to run.  I finally got some new shoes last year and I haven't had any problems with that since.  I find running very difficult and am therefore very slow.  I have only been running for a year now and even though I can ride my bike for hours and miles, when I started running I couldn't even run 1/2 mile without walking.  Longer distances continue to elude me, even going 3 miles without stopping to walk is a huge effort for me, though I was able to do it in my triathlon last year.  Biking is not an issue and I am a fair swimmer, though I am not too fast because I need to learn form better.  But my biggest weakness is running.

I thought I would be a good fit in your group because you have a lot of experience with running and could really help me out. 

My goals for 2007 are to compete in one sprint triathlon and get my 5k run time under 30 minutes.  I did the 5k in my triathlon in 32:25, but that was a huge effort for me and not something I can do consistently or easily.  I also want to ride in a road ride in
August that is 78 miles and goes over 3 mountain passes for total 6000 feet elevation gain.  I can ride 78 miles with minimal training, but not with that kind of climbing.  I also have a goal to compete on my horse and qualify for Championships in September.  I ride him 4 days a week and do weights and core work at the gym along with my running/biking/swimming to stay fit for riding.  Though I haven't been swimming recently, just running on the treadmill, biking on the exercise bike and doing weights.

I am horrible about remembering to log my workouts here, but if you accept me in your group I will try my best to put my workouts in here weekly.  I have a garmin Forerunner 305 that I got for Christmas, so I can HR train, but I don't know anything about any programs for that.  I can't wait until the snow melts here so I can start running/cycling outside again and use all the cool features of my new toy.  I've been limited to the gym and treadmill recently because of the snow.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and hopefully I'll talk to you soon.

Laura

2007-01-17 7:41 AM

Fred,

Would like to join your group. Here is a little a bout myself, Greg.

Will be doing my first tri (sprint) in June. Have been in sports throughout college and HS, but never a big runner or swimmer....Football, baseball...I am 29 just had our first child in November and weigh 210 was 222 in November, so losing some weight while I have been working out 5 days a week.
Swam 700 yds at once today and added another 400 in sets of 100.

Would like some help in getting to June and think it will be easier with someone that has done them before.
Thanks,
greg
2007-01-19 8:27 PM
in reply to: #654270

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Hi Laura,

Welcome to the group seems you have a great cycling background and have already competed in one triathlon. Don't see any reason you shouldn't meet your goal and get under 30 mins for the 5K in a triathlon. Most people find running hard work at first and it takes a while to get comfortable at a steady pace. Absolutely nothing wrong with walking if you feel like it, many people see this as a failure and it definitely isn't. Distance running is as much psychological as it is physical and it can take a while to focus the mind as well as the body.

My wife bought me a Garmin 305 for Christmas and I am enjoyng playing with it. Haven't yet used all of the features but it really beats having to mess with hitting the lap button on a regular sports watch.

Look forward to working with you.

Fred
2007-01-19 8:42 PM
in reply to: #657349

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Hi Greg,

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your first child, hopefully you're not having too many sleeples nights. For someone who's not a big swimmer you seem to be making great progress, well on your way to your first triathlon. Looking a your logs you are starting to build a sound foundation and have a good pace on the bike.

Have you selected what event you will be competing in?

Happy to help with your preparation.

Fred

2007-01-20 7:01 PM

Veteran
Fred,
My name is George aka GDOG. I live in White Lake, MI. I have a wife and 3 kids(23,17.14). I am 41 and have never done a tri before. I was a CC runner in HS, but until a 1.5 yrs. ago, had not run in 20? yrs. I started running 1.5 yrs. ago after being disgusted about being out of shape. I have now lost 15lbs. with plenty left to go.

This fall I decided to train for a sprint tri in '07 in order to diversify my training. I have been going 6 dys/wk for the past 2.5 weeks trying to focus on learning to swim. I have a "swim coach" one of the varsity swimmers from the high school.

I would love to discuss diiferent races around SE MI to get your opinions. I would also love to discuss training theories/plans.

-George
2007-01-20 7:55 PM

New user

Detroit MI
Hi Fred and all,

I would also like to join your mentoring group. I would love some guidance/feedback/accountability to really get going.

About me:
BACKGROUND: 38-year-old woman, native Detroiter, work with computers, married 13 years, and have a 8 and 6 year old kids, dog and cat.

PHYSICAL: Been active off and on my adult life, biking, some running, even women's touch football. Never ran or biked competitively. I am about 40 pounds overweight but in great health.

GOAL: I love biking and swimming--am OK with running--and I've always wanted to do a triathlon. I want to be ready to enter the MotorCity Triathlon on June 24 and just finish. Secondary goals: cultivating a healthy lifestyle, losing weight, and being more competitive in future races.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started training on my own Oct 1 2006. I've been running about 6mi/week and was biking about 16 mi week (until it cold in January). I did my first bike tour (the First Dozen on Jan 1), 12 miles and I felt great.

I'd like to get more input with my training, equipment, and preparing for my first race.

2007-01-21 7:26 AM
in reply to: #661968

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Hi George and Tranndee,

Welcome to the group and welcome to BT, this is a great forum to learn and share experiences. We have 4 members in the group so far (still space) and can have some fun helping each other along. We are here to inspire and motivate each other, me also, so that we can achieve our own personal goals.

George,

Happy to discuss Tri's in the SE Michigan area, there are plenty of great loactions and as yet I have not been disappointed with any. Great to see you are focused on learning to swim, getting a coach is a good approach and avoids learning bad habits.

Tranndee,

Sounds like your training is off to a good start and your are building a good foundation, you can definitely be ready for the Motor City tri in June. Belle Isle looks like a nice location, I went to the yatch club there a few years ago and really enjoyed the experience.

For most people this time of year is the hardest time to get motivated due to the weather. Right now it's 25 degrees here in Michigan, for Laura in Colorado the forecast shows 23 degrees and snowing! Greg, where abouts do you live, maybe the climate there is kinder to triathletes.

For everybody feel free to post any questions you have, remember there are no stupid questions only stupid answers.

Have a great Sunday!

2007-01-21 10:13 AM

I am in Iowa City, IA. Home of the Iowa Hawkeyes and it is currently Snowing, we have about 6 inches on the ground. So, i am working out indoors and will move outside in the spring. Swam 1000 yds non-stop yesterday for the first time, pretty happy about that.

Sounds like we have a good group forming here.
2007-01-21 8:46 PM

Harbor Springs, MI
is your group still open, fred? if so, i would really like to join...

personal background: my name is sara, i'm 21, married with 1 child. I am from the michigan area as well. grew up in swartz creek, lived in ferndale for a few years, and now live in northern michigan but am downstate very, very frequently.

fitness background: i used to be very active in martial arts and i've always loved tennis, but after an injury i became very inactive and gained weight. i am now just getting back into the fitness game. it is my hope to be conditioned enough to complete a triathlon within a year from now, as well as drop some weight.

i'm pretty dedicated and have a good grasp on nutrition and such... but would love to get to know some other people to help me along in my journey...

also, i really love that there are so many people from michigan here. i think we could all really help each other out.

Edited by derwyddon 2007-01-21 8:51 PM

2007-01-22 3:50 AM
in reply to: #662738

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Hi Sara,

Very happy to have you in the group and welcome to BT, will do everything we can to support and motivate you towards your goals. I'm really happy with the way the group is coming together, we can share our successes and progress as we improve together. We have Laura from Colorado, Greg from Iowa, and Tranndee, George, you and myself from Michigan.

Looking at the weather we all share on thing in common right now, snow! Just heading out for work and the weather channel shows 9 degrees for Colarado, 25 for Iowa, SE Michigan 23 and N Michigan 14. This is the toughest time of the year to train so don't let the weather de-motivate you, things improve from here on.

Congratulations Greg on your 1000 yard swim yesterday looks like you are making great progress, hope you are having fun at the same time.

2007-01-22 7:47 AM

Harbor Springs, MI
Winter's actually one of my favorite times. It's harder to do stuff outside, but my mood is always perked a little so I get out to the gym every day. Not to mention my weight loss has come nice and steady so that's a huge motivator to not stop!

Right now I'm doing a mile each running and biking everyday. At the end of the week I'm upping it to two miles. I know it really isn't a lot, but I'm new at this and I'm working hard at it!

Unfortunately i don't have access to a pool a lot during the winter, once every two weeks, but during the summer I'll have lots of nice long swims both in my parent's pool downstate and in good ol' lake michigan.
2007-01-22 7:50 AM
in reply to: #662966

Veteran
Sara,
I wish I could be as positive as you about winter. I can't stand it. !@#$ing COLD today.
2007-01-22 7:53 AM

Harbor Springs, MI
Yeah, up here it gets BAD too. Lake effect and all. I already rolled my van this winter! The thing I like the least about winter is driving... it's horrible. That combined with the fact my daughter loves going outside and is too little to explain why she can't all the time (she's only 10 months old, hard to rationlize with her )
2007-01-22 1:21 PM

Harbor Springs, MI
btw, if any of you guys want to chat my contact info is as follows:

aim: questawen
yahoo: sarbear72k
e-mail: [email protected]

2007-01-23 11:48 AM

I am going to take a crack at my first event this June--and would be very grateful for any guidance you can give.

Male, 28, 5'7, 185, athletic most of my life. Enjoy my road bike a great deal. In decent shape now, though size-30 waist fits so well I buy 34's and wear 36's...

I think I should give you access somehow to my training calendar, which I just started on the site. I'll see if I can take care of that right away. Again, very grateful for any help.
2007-01-23 8:28 PM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Hi Fred, I was checking out the mentors and thought I would ask if I could join your group. My Name is Brian I'm 32 and have limited running experience.

My Background is as follows:

Search and Rascue swimmer in the Navy back in the early 90's, than fractured my hip and stopped exercising. Blew up to a heavy 270 unitl June of 2006. In June I started to train again to get back to where I was in the military. In August of 2006 I entered the Police Academy and started training real hard. December 2006 graduated at a weight of 230 +/-. As of today Im at 209. I am seeing a difference in myself weight wise and it feels good, but what is better is setting a goal and achieving it. So my next goal is to be as fit as I can be and start participating in Tri's. Looking slimmer is a dream, but knowing I am doing something that I never thought I could do again or be better than I was is outstanding. I need guidance however, I read and read and read on what to do to get ready for a tri, but every other article says something different. So with your advice I feel I can do it. Currently, I am running between 1.5 and 2 miles once or twice a week, weight lifting, and just started doing a stationary bike for 5 miles up and down hills. I am dedicated to this and will achieve my goal, but with your advice I hope I can do it without making too many mistakes. Thanks for reading.

Edited by sarpup 2007-01-23 8:41 PM
2007-01-23 10:43 PM
in reply to: #665700

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Subject: RE: fb444's Group FULL
Hi B8282 and Brian,

Welcome to the group and BT. Happy to have you both on board, grop is now full so we can get down to helping each other.

Sorry for the short note, just got back from Rod Stewart concert at the Palace in Auburn Hills (MI) and need to get to bed. Need to be up for work tomorrow at 4:00, the fun nevers stops!
2007-01-24 9:31 PM

Harbor Springs, MI
hey guys... i walked / jogged 2 miles and biked 4 today. i feel really good about it. i know its not much, but its really my first week trying to get back into this stuff!
2007-01-25 3:06 AM
in reply to: #667072

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Sara,

Great progress, that's 100% more than I have done this week. Every journey starts with one step.

Keep up the good work.

2007-01-25 11:25 AM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Hey all just thought I would let you know where I am at today. I did 2.5 miles running straight and 5 miles on the bike with variable hills. How is that? I have been looking at the programs and wasnt sure which I would fit into best. Thanks
2007-01-25 12:03 PM

I ran for 40 minutes this morning and have to combine my Saturday and Friday for tommorow b/c we are heading to Chicago for my wife's 10 yr reunion?!?!.... I will Swim 1200 yards (Probably 3 sets of 400) and then Bike for 40 minutes on Friday AM.

I started working out in November to lose some weight and could only do 1 lap (25 yards)continuos in the pool, but I kept going and am building up my Swim workouts. I haven't lost that much since I started but have gained some muscle and I can tell the difference. I have heard it is hard to lose weight while traing for these, but would like to lose another 10. Any suggestions?
In November I was 225Lbs and now anywhere fro 210 to 215 Lbs. Losing another 10 would be easier on my body come June...I am excited to start my 20 week training on Feb. 5th (the day after the Super Bowl), will take some will power on my part.
Excited to get know you guy's more!

Greg
Iowa City, IA

2007-01-25 7:53 PM

Harbor Springs, MI
Good job training today, guys! I didn't get to go to the gym today because I had class. I'm feelin pretty bummed about it but I'm definantly going tomorrow. Maybe I'll push myself a little harder than usual.

are there any kinds of exercises or conditioning that you guys do at home?
2007-01-25 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

Hello everyone! Sorry I have been absent for a few days. I'm so busy I have such a hard time getting on here and posting, but I am subscribed to this thread so I have read all the posts in my email.

Anyhow, this week has not been as good as I would have liked it to be. I went to Houston over the weekend and didn't get home until 1:30 Sunday morning, so that blew my Monday morning workout and I was still wiped out on Tuesday so didn't get up then either. But I did get up yesterday and ran 2 miles on the treadmill in 23 minutes along with .5 mile warm up/cool down for another 7 minutes. Then today I did weights - biceps, triceps, back and then did 10 minutes on the stairmill.

Fred, I need some advice. My left calf was so tight when I was running yesterday and it was tight on the stairmill today. I have been having on and off problems for several months now with my left calf cramping up. I got new shoes and the problem seemed to disappear for a couple of months only to return over the last three weeks. I stretch a lot and it doesn't seem to help a lot. I'm not sure what to do. Yesterday it was so bad that I had to stop running and stretch and then I just ran thru the pain until it seemed to work itself out somewhat. So, I know I don't need new shoes, I get them fitted from the local running store where they video me on the treadmill and check my stride. What do I do? I was going to try taking some l-glutamine to see if that might help, or maybe there is another supplement that will help with recovery? Or is there anything else I should be doing?

So I envy all of you who can run outside right now. 6 inches is NOTHING. I haven't seen the asphalt on my street in 6 weeks. My sidewalk is clear, but icy, and the trail I always run on is snow covered. There are 20 foot piles of snow on the sides of the road where the plows moved it and we still have 12 inch drifts in the backyard. And we are going to get another 3-4 inches this Saturday. Colorado is not supposed to be like this. It never snows like this here. Sucks.

Anyhow, tomorrow I get to go running again, but if my calf is bothering me then I might jump on the exercise bike and do a hill program instead.

Edit:  I updated my training log for the week so go have a look if you want.

Edited by Pinata 2007-01-25 8:50 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » fb444's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 6