BT Development Mentor Program Archives » fb444's Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-02-04 9:54 PM
in reply to: #637728

Harbor Springs, MI
Subject: RE: fb444's Group FULL
1) he has a very hard time waking up to an alarm clock, it will take him forever and it will wake everyone else up
2) i wake up very easily and am immediately able to function
3) we didn't used to do this when we first were married, but it's become a routine that we both enjoy. I wake him up, he wanders to the living room, he eats breakfast while we watch the news together, he gets in the shower while i pack his lunch and start the car, we talk while he gets dressed.

more than anything it's a chance for us to steal a little time together.

2007-02-04 10:08 PM
in reply to: #679087

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

derwyddon - 2007-02-04 8:54 PM 

2) i wake up very easily and am immediately able to function.

That is a foriegn feeling to me.  It takes me forever to get going.  I've never been a morning person and since I've started working out in the mornings about 3 years ago, I'm still not a morning person.  It's still hard every day to get up in the mornings.  It's only when I am super motivated because of an impending event that I seem to be able to really stick to my program. 

How do you all stay motivated in the off season?  Maybe I need to not have an off season...

2007-02-05 12:17 AM
in reply to: #679104

I usually go to bed at 11:30pm and wake up at 545am. Takes me 5 minutes to get to my workout facility, so i am training by 6:15 am. To answer your question about what drives me or how do I get up in the am, I was working out a couple weeks and then stopping for a couple weeks. So, i am doing this tri in June b/c I have something to work for. Been going well so far, I weighed 225 in November and weighed 208 today. It's been slower than i wanted, but I have put on some muscle.....No workout tomorrow, after late night for the Super Bowl.
2007-02-05 9:25 AM

Veteran
I am NOT a morning person. I workout after work during the week, and then do mornings on Sat/Sun just because I am conditioned to get up at 5-6AM, and my kids are normally sleeping anyway.

I don't think it is appropriate to share the self-talk, which I use to get myself going. It is a little disgusting and lude.
2007-02-05 1:10 PM
in reply to: #679200

That is funny GDOG....thanks for not sharing.....
2007-02-05 2:11 PM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Hey all, Due to my work schedule I dont post too often and I save my questions up. Today I ran 3.1 mile on treadmill, biked for 5 miles, and did some weight training. Is this good for preparing for my first tri? I looked at the programs on here and it seems I am in the middle of each program. Also, my 3.1 miles took about 40 min, with walking about 0.25 miles of that. Is that decent? IM not looking to win a tri right now just comlete one.

I also found a sprint tri in my area in April I have been thinking about. I can be ready by April by to be honest I have never even seen one and am nervous about just jumping into one. Should I take more time a watch a few b4 jumping in? On the bike portion of the tri, I am curious about. I have a nice mountain bike, but does everyone else use roadbikes? Will I look silly doing this on a mountain bike? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

2007-02-05 5:16 PM

Veteran
Sarapup-I'm in about the same boat as you. Hopefully Fred can answer from experience.
2007-02-05 8:33 PM
in reply to: #679949

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Brian - Mountain bikes are fine, from the races I have entered probably around 25% ride one, absolutely an okay thing to do. You definitely won'y look silly.

The pace you run at is a personal thing, don't get hung up on how it compares to others, the key thing is to enjoy the event. You run for you and, like you already mentioned, your goal is to complete a triathlon so no need to get hung up on pace. In the running club I belonged to in the UK we had a broad range of competitors with paces ranging from sub 5 minute miling up to 16 minutes per mile. All were respected equally.

What are the distances in the April tri you are thinking about? I assume with your Navy search and rescue background the swim portion will be straight forward. Need to remember that stringing 3 events together takes more out of you than each one undertaken separately, so think about your stamina.

If you feel up to the distance nothing wrong with just jumping in, no need to spectate first unless you want to. It's really about what you feel comfortable with.

Feel free to keep the questions coming - Fred 

2007-02-06 8:42 PM
in reply to: #680448

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

I didn't go watch a tri before mine.  I did watch one on TV though.  Basically, just make sure you have everything you need laid out in the transition zone.  The transitions are the hardest part in my opinion.  You gotta be organized, have a plan, and practice your transitions at home a few times before you do your tri.  You can lose a lot of time in the transitions if you have all your stuff crammed in a bag and have to dig around for everything.  Usually you lay all your stuff out on a towel in the order you are going to use it.  Make sure you try not to take up too much space so the person next to you doesn't get pissed and move your stuff around.  Don't take anything into transition that you don't need, and always bring with you an extra few things, such as goggles, just in case you break or forget them or lose them.

This is a great site you can print it out and check things off as you pack them.

http://triathlon.racechecklist.com/

As far as the mountain bike, most people use road bikes, but I saw a lot of people on mountain bikes in the tri I did.  Just remember that you won't be as fast on a mountain bike so don't compare your bike time to others.  You could get slicks for your mtb and that will help some and make it a bit easier on your legs. 

Don't worry about your first tri.  Everyone told me not to worry about pace, just go and do it and finish it cause your first one is more of a learning experience on how to do triathlons.  Except of course for those genetically gifted people who I am not one of.

2007-02-06 8:46 PM
in reply to: #682062

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

GMac, how do you get by on so little sleep?  I envy people who can do that.  I'm a basket case if I don't get 7.5 hours min.  I can do on less for a couple of days, but then I have to sleep in for a day cause I feel like crap.

2007-02-06 9:12 PM
in reply to: #682068

i am working on that. I am getting in bed at 10 pm the last couple nights and feel better in the am. Worked out this am, Swam 1100 yards (5 sets of 200, 100 drill) and Biked 30 min. feel good going into Wednesday (day off). Had 3-5 inches here in iowa, so shoveled tonight. It was kinda cool getting in the pool and watching the snow fall outside. Made it a little colder at first.

2007-02-06 9:35 PM
in reply to: #682089

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

Sounds like you had a good workout.  There's something mentally wrong with me cause it always seems colder getting in the pool in the winter then in the summer and it's the same temperature.

It's been in the 60's yesterday and today here.  woohoo!  It's been hot!  The ice and snow is FINALLY starting to melt, hopefully it will be all gone by the end of the week as it's supposed to be warm all week.  Of course now that everything is melting the barn is a mudpit.  It's really gross.  Poor Pinata has to stand out in that all day, yuck. 

2007-02-06 9:54 PM
in reply to: #682112

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

So, after playing with my new heart rate monitor for the past several runs I've learned something.  I am doing intervals, but my heart rate isn't coming down enough on my rest, so I don't get those spikes in heart rate and I am not recovering enough before I start my next interval.  That is why I'm not getting faster, because I thought I was doing intervals and I really wasn't.

So now that I know that, I'll be able to monitor that as I am running and start to do some real interval training, which should, hopefully, make me faster. 

2007-02-07 6:08 PM
in reply to: #682128

Veteran
Laura-Your pinky finger is smarter than me! Can you explain HOW you are training with the HRM to get faster?

I feel the need..........the need for speed!
2007-02-07 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Try the link below for a great guide to heart rate training. A lot of reading but really worthwhile advice. It's somewhat counter intuitive in that you end up training at a more steady pace to get faster, AND it works! Give it a try - Fred

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

2007-02-07 8:15 PM
in reply to: #683443

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
I'm new to heart rate training, so I don't know much about it.  I'm going to read Fred's link though and hopefully that will give me more of a clue.  I do know that I'm not going to get faster if I don't do intervals and now that I have the HRM I realize that I really haven't been doing very good intervals.

2007-02-07 8:29 PM
in reply to: #683502

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

So I read some of that thread and I know I need to go figure out my LT so I can set the appropriate zones on my HRM.  That test sounds evil though, even though the LT test is easier then the max HR test, it's still evil.  I need to go read my HRM manual and see what it recommends.  Maybe I'll do it next week, or over the weekend when I can get plenty of rest.

I did have a good run this morning though, 2.25 miles in 26 minutes.  Slow and easy.  Well, slow, but not so easy, haha.

2007-02-08 3:13 AM
in reply to: #683516

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Laura,

If you are using the Garmin 305 it is best to set your HR zone manually. The automatic calculation was way off for me and from reading the Motion Based forum that appears to be true for many people. Getting the zones set up prpoerly is the foundation for HR training so it's essential to get it right - Fred

2007-02-08 8:30 AM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
I have a weird question. I bought a new pair of running shoes and wore them today for my workout. Now the shoes I had been wearing, I have been using since August when I started the police academy and doing PT. I kinda figured they were wore out and thought getting a new pair that fit better would help me. So today when working out, something wasnt right. I felt like I couldnt get into a groove at all. It was all I could do to get to 1.5 miles running. Could shoes have something to do with this? Does breaking them in first or getting used to them make a difference? Also another factor I should mention is that Im back on nights 5pm to 5am starting this past monday. Well tuesday when I got home I slept maybe 2 hours (my body takes a few days to adjust to nights again and sleeping during the day, we switch up every two weeks.) Not having to go in unitl 5pm tuesday I got a call to be in at 2pm tuesady and worked till 5am wednesday morning. Wednesday morning when I got home I couldnt sleep well due to a few bad calls I got tuesday night. I maybe got 5 hours of sleep. Wednesday had off and slept well that night. All this brings me to today thursday. Thursday morning my workout just could not get going well. So (sorry about being long winded) could the shoes be the cause of this or is it my body and the sleep pattern. Now it should be mentioned, some might look at my sleep pattern and say its my body, but honestly Im a little used to sleeping like this, I took it easy wednesday knowing I could sleep more wednesday night and be recovered by thursday. Its a little wierd for me not to be able to run more than 1.5 miles. I kept getting bored and distracted from my goals and couldnt get any cadance down to get into a grove.
2007-02-08 8:36 AM

Harbor Springs, MI
I think you need a little more time to figure out if its your shoes or not. You had a really rough beginning to your week and your body may not be ready for the training stress. Run again using the same shoes after you've got a good nights rest and see if you're still having the problem
2007-02-08 7:58 PM
in reply to: #683764

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Brian - Good advice from Sara, could just be your "body clock" adjusting that is hindering your run. Also worthwhile reverting back to your old shoes and see if it makes a difference.

Shoes can make a huge difference if they are not compatible with your running style or weight. Let us know how you get on.

Fred

2007-02-08 9:07 PM
in reply to: #683672

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

Fred,

Yes, I know I need to set them manually to really know what zones I'm training in.  In order to do that I have to do the max heart rate test.  I am going to do that next week one day on my hard run day.  It's going to suck. 

2007-02-08 9:09 PM
in reply to: #683762

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Brian, I would guess it was your lack of sleep also.  Your body does weird things when you don't get enough sleep or don't eat right.  I can completely tell the difference in my workouts when I have gotten proper rest and nutrition.
2007-02-09 1:40 PM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
hey all, Just wanted to drop a line and tell everyone thank you for yor replies. I think maybe it was sleep being a problem. This is going to be hard training and working like I do, but oh well if it was easy everyone would do it right? Anyway had a great workout today. A little worried I might have overdone it and still have to work a 12hr shift on a friday night. I did the whole 10 miles on the exercise bike with hills. Ran 1 mile at a fast pace, but had to walk some of it, and did alot of upper body weights today. I always feel soo much better after a good hard workout though. Its almost like if I dont workout I am lazy all day. Do you guys get that too? Also when you bike at the gym, is it a steady resistance or do you incorporate hills or increasing resistance? Just curious. One more thing, Can someone look at my log and give me an opinion on it? Just wondering where I am at. My body should tell me if I am over doig it, but I worry I might not be doing enough as well. Thanks

Edited by sarpup 2007-02-09 1:44 PM
2007-02-10 6:59 AM
in reply to: #685489

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Brian - Read through your logs and you are at a good starting point for biking and running. I think you already have a swimming background but would be interested to know what distance/pace you train at. With regard to doing too little or too much, we are all different and the best way to determine if you are doing too much is listen to your body. You progressively need to increase the amount of training you do in balance with your work schedule and how good you feel. The link below takes you to a good BT training schedule which is ideal for anyone preparing for their first triathlon.  You can compare your current training program and see the increase in training needed over time. As with all schedules they are a guide and can be adapted to suit your needs.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=261

Don't be discouraged by the gap to close, as you train more frequently it becomes easier and as you body quickly adapts to the increased distances. Hope this helps, feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Fred

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » fb444's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 6