Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-02-10 7:20 AM
in reply to: #637728

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI
Subject: RE: fb444's Group FULL

For everyone working on their swim stroke, attached videos may provide help and inspiration - Fred

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1387883746453817821

http://granthackettonline.free.fr/?page_id=104

2007-02-12 8:34 PM

Veteran
Hope everyone is doing well. I hate winter even more today.

Took the day off, drove to Cleveland to work with Total Immersion coach. WOW, I never thought I could get sick from swimming. I was nausious after the first two-hours of video and non-stop drills. I took a 2hr break and did another hour of drills. God only knows how many yards? Learning to swim, and swim properly is.... well....hard. I did make some strides on form though.

On a brighter note, my wife and daughter return from sunny FLA tomorrow AND assuming the
*@#ty weather cooperates, I am getting my new bike. (can all this be enjoyed from the hospital?)

I am tired and going to bed. NO swimming tomorrow.
2007-02-12 8:38 PM

Veteran
Fred-Sorry, I forgot to thank you for the inspirational videos they were really cool.

Unfortunatley, I am now depressed as in comparison I look like a whale on the beach WHILE I am swimming. Maybe not even in comparison. Video might have been a bad idea.

...yes I am a little negative right now. This too shall pass.
2007-02-13 1:08 PM
in reply to: #688746

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Hey all, its time for another questions from me. Actually I wanted to give some info as well incase anyone ever has a similar situation and they search for this. I recently posted about my sleep pattern and workouts. Since I work shift work, 2 weeks of nights and 2 weeks of days, 12 hour shifts. I just finished a three day tour of nights and sleeping only about 4 hours each day during that. Last night I slept a good 9 to 12 hours, and worked out this morning. When i worked out I could not get into a groove at all. It was all I could do to finish a mile. I wanted to go 20 mins of steady fast paced running. However since I couldnt do this and I knew it within the first 4 minutes I decided to do a good mile of running. I cut a full minute off my time. I also lifted weights, and weights I could do when my sleeping is normal, I could barely do.

So since I have found this out I am wondering. Should I give my body a full day to get used to sleeping b4 working out or just push through it? Also I am loosing weight currently, in which I want to do. If I am loosing weight, is it expected I may get weaker as my body is probably loosing some muscle as the weight is going away? My eating habbits should be better Im sure, but I am not on a diet so to speak Im just watching what I eat and eating when Im hungry instead of eating when Im not. I probaly take in about 1000 calories a day and stay away from fast food as much as possible. I know I should eat more but this is what my body wants right now. I also ewat small portions. I have found that I hate that stuffed feeling and eat till the hinger goes away. Once my I reach my goal weight I will probably try to increase my caloric intake to a more normal range so that I can add more muscle. So with all this in mind, does anybody care to give me any feedback on things? I also should probably say that this eating pattern works for me as back in May or June 2006 I was around 275lbs. and couldnt imagine running 1.5 miles, now Im at 204 as of this morning and can run about 3 miles steady at a slower pace. I thought about putting this in the weight loss forum, but my goal is the triathlon, and finishing it, so any thoughts on this in regards to training?
2007-02-13 1:48 PM
in reply to: #689409

I have been pretty down since Saturday. I biked 13 miles and than ran a 5K and I could feel it in my legs when I was finished (felt great afterwards). Then, went home and we had company coming over later and had to get the ice off the driveway. So, got the ice pick out and had another 2 hr workout.....Felt my shoulder on Sunday and it feels like it is torn. So, i took Monday and today off and hopefully it feels better on Thursday.

Anyway, usually all positive here, but I had to post that to relieve some stress from not working out. Hopefully it just goes away, soon.

My advice to the post from sarpup is: I think the reason you were weaker during this workout has to do with your calorie intake not sleeping. Eat more and burn more. Everything that I have heard is it is extremely hard to lose weight and properly train for a triathlon. I was 225 in Nov 2006 and am 210 now. I want to be 199 when June comes around, but it will be more muscle from training. Just my thoughts. Thanks.
2007-02-13 7:36 PM

Veteran
Sarpup-I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds to me like an awfully small calorie intake--especially while training. I would definatley post on weight-loss forum for more detailed info.

2007-02-13 8:02 PM
in reply to: #689867

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

I can guarantee that 1000 calories is WAY too little for someone not in training, much less someone in training.  You absolutely cannot expect to be able to train for anything on that little of calories.  I think this is most likely your main cause of lack of energy on your workouts.  You say you are used to this amount of food and your body doens't want any more, that is because you have starved yourself and caused your metabolism to plummet.

You gotta feed the machine.  I know you want to lose weight and that is possible while training, but you have to eat to lose.

There are two ways you can raise your metabolism, that is exercise and eating.  You need to be eating more calories, but from clean food.  You should eat 5-6 small meals a day, each consisting of a lean protein such as fish, chicken or lean beef, a complex carb such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread or whole wheat pasta, and a veggie.  You can eat this as 3 of your meals or all 5-6, the "snack" meals you can have a piece of fibrous fruit like apples, pears, and fat free cottage cheese, or maybe some tuna and whole wheat crackers.

If you eat more often and more calories, but keep your diet clean, you will lose weight and fuel your body for training.  

You should probably be eating around 2000 calories a day, if not more.  Usually the formula for calories is 15 * your body weight for maintanence and no less then 10 * your body weight for loss.  You have to adjust it for you as everyone is different.

Feel free to ask me any questions about nutrition, I am not an expert, but I know a lot because I used to work for a sports nutritional supplement company and my best friend has her sports nutrition certification from ISSN and taught me everything she knows.  

2007-02-13 8:15 PM
in reply to: #689887

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

Additional Note:

Because you have been starving yourself when you start this diet don't be discouraged if you gain a few pounds before you start losing.  Also, because you are training, weight loss might occur slower because once you start eating right your body will soak up all that food and start to grow your muscles.  This is a good thing, you want more muscle.  Because the same density of muscle weighs more then fat, you will not see as quick of a decrease in the scale, but you will be losing bodyfat.  So the scale weight might not go down, but your body fat will.  Your best measure of how you are losing is to do your body fat not your scale weight. 

If you don't have a reliable source of having this done, then take your measurements with a tape measure every couple of weeks and record that along with your weight.

When I started training for my first triathlon I was 158 lbs and 23% bodyfat.  16 weeks later I was 152 lbs and 18% bodyfat.  So I only lost 6 lbs, but I had lost 2 inches off my waist, 2 inches off my hips, 1 inch off my arms, and 1.5 inches off my thigh.  I had put on a a lot of muscle and lost a lot of bodyfat, thereby changing my body composition and I looked great.  Unfortunatly Christmas came and I'm back up to about 21% now and some of those inches came back, but not all of them, thank goodness.  

I was really good last week with my training, but I am sick now so I haven't done anything for the last 3 days, sucks.  I hope I feel better by tomorrow. 

2007-02-14 2:34 PM

Veteran
Sarpup-the caloric intake numbers I have always seen are almost identical to those specified by Laura.
2007-02-17 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Hey all,

Long week at work, haven't done any training at all mid-week so need to do something this weekend. Winter base is not working, no foundation for 2007 season. Talking of this years events I have posted a tentative event schedule in my training log. Don't plan to do all of these but they are all currently under consideration. After watching the Xterra a couple of weeks ago I plan to take in a couple of mountain bike races this season to add some variety. It would be good if everyone posted their planned events, tentative or otherwise, so we can see each others goals. 

GDOG, interested in your comments on your TI training session in Cleveland, sounds like a tough course. Was it one day or two.

What's everyone got planned for the weekend. I'm aiming for 2 swims, 2 runs and time on the bike trainer. Then watching Daytona 500 tomorrow.

Fred

2007-02-17 1:41 PM

Veteran
Fred- The TI training was good, although waay more swimming than I had done previously(2X). I have read the book and watched the video many times but wanted to make sure I was practicing the right techniques/drills. We started the day by videotaping my swimming --which was kinda depressing because 1. I really look fat 2. I really look slow 3. The coach was able to show me ALL my problems. We then started all the TI drills from the start which was good in order to really GET IT from the start. I left with several items to work on for the next week or two, and then I will go down for another 1/2 day( maybe 2-1hr. sessions next time).

The video really is the most important part-It's really tough to see things without the video.

I am now convinced that swimming is exactly like golf. Great swimmers and golfers do amazing things and make it look effortless through perfect technique.

Maybe I will get one of my kids to post the video--Then all of you can breakdown my flaws.

2007-02-18 10:31 AM

Veteran
Fred-the answer to your question was...1 day. This was a private session set-up with Leah Nyikes. Her website is www.liquidlifestyles.net. I thought she was great. She was prompt, pleasant, and very focused on tecnique. She is tougher than she looks.
2007-02-19 7:32 PM

Veteran
Fred-By the way, I'm not a huge NASCAR fan. Yesterday was the first full race I have ever watched--and it was amazing! It was a great way to spend a day off from training!

-George
2007-02-19 8:00 PM
in reply to: #696282

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

So I am finally well. It sucks being sick, I haven't been sick in a while.  I rode my horse today for the first time in a week and he was horrible.  I hate it when he has that much time off.  What a booger. 

Anyhow, back to training tomorrow. 

2007-02-20 3:41 AM
in reply to: #696282

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

GDOG - I agree this years Daytona was a pretty amazing race. Seeing that car cross the finishing line on its roof, flip back onto its wheels and then catch fire was like something out of a movie. Hollywood could not have staged it better. Best part was the driver being OK.

Fred

2007-02-20 3:44 AM
in reply to: #696318

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Laura - Glad to see you are feeling better and back in the saddle. Never a good time to be sick but at least it happened in the off season. Good luck getting back into your training, don't push too hard too soon. Take it easy at first.

Fred

2007-02-22 6:14 PM
in reply to: #696514

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado

Yea, so on Tuesday I got up and ran 1.5 miles and it kicked my butt.  Guess I wasn't 100% recovered yet from being sick.  I rode my horse on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, but on Wed and Thurs was so tired I couldn't get out of bed to go workout.  Today I'm tired cause I was up all night programming in my sleep.  I just laid in bed and was thinking about how to solve this problem I'm working on.  I tried all my meditation methods to put myself to sleep but I just couldn't get over it.  I suppose I'm stressing about work cause I have this big deadline coming up in 2 weeks.  I've been working a lot, but tomorrow I get to work from home so I'm gonna go run outside (what a concept!).  The snow finally melted, but not for long, we got more coming on Saturday.  We tied the record for most consecutive days with snow on the ground here - 63.  Amazing.  I better go run outside before it comes back!

Edited by Pinata 2007-02-22 6:14 PM
2007-02-23 8:09 AM

Veteran
Laura- Not being able to sleep really sucks. What language? Just curious, I'm in the biz.

-George
2007-02-27 1:50 PM

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Hey all, I just wanted to say Hi and hope everbody is doing well. I always only post when I have questions, so I thought I would just say hi to everyone and see how things area. Its finally getting nice here supposed to be in the 60's just about all week. I cant stand winter, if I could get my wife to agree we would live somewhere in south Florida or Texas, just somewhere closer to the equator. Well just wanted to speak and see how everyone is doing.
2007-02-28 1:29 PM

Veteran
Sarpup- I agree completley on winter. I am an idiot to live in MI. How is the training going? Are your bike rides outside yet ??Kinda wondering what temp is reasonable for outside biking.

-George
2007-02-28 2:57 PM
in reply to: #706546

New user
Lake Gaston, NC
Nope I havent done outside yet, but I will this weekend. Probably will help change things up a little bit. Its about mid 50's during day time with highs in the low 60's. IM on night shift now so its a little hard to keep at it since Im tired all the time. But next week I start days so it should be better. Trainning is going well. In addition to my trainning I am loosing weight as well. I only have 15lbs. to go to hit my goal, so I'm thinking of doing more weights to get stronger since Im sure I have lost some muscle with all the wieght loss.

2007-02-28 3:24 PM
in reply to: #706675

Fred, could you look at my Training log and let me know how I am doing?
I am pretty good about putting in what I plan to do and then updating what I actually did.....
I guess, just wanted to know if I am going in the right direction. I am using the 16 week program Swim-3 days/wk, Bike-3, and Run-2 (the reason the run is less, b/c of my shins) and taking 2 days off per week.
thanks in advance, I really appreciate it

greg
Iowa City, IA
2007-03-01 4:06 AM
in reply to: #706712

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Greg - Logs show you are making good progress, training is well balanced and on track. I saw the comment about your legs feeling heavy when you ran after biking. This is normal as biking uses the muscles in a different way to running. I personally find the transition the hardest part of any triathlon.

As it gets nearer to the event you can practice doing a Brick: hard bike session followed be a one mile run. THe run doesn't need to be any longer as the purpose of the exercise is to become accustomed to the transition and is not aimed directly at improving the run.

I see you are experiencing some shin pain. Don't push it to hard if they become very painful. I once didn't pay attention to same advice and ended up getting a stress fracture. Not sure how big a problem your shins are right now.  Take it easy on the runs.

Fred

2007-03-07 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Shelby Twp, MI

Hope the rest of the group are doing better than me. Had bronchitis for the past week and still not yet on the road to recovery. Dosed up on a 10 day course of penicilin so hopefully it will kick in soon and aid recovery. Feel like the training is going backwards.

Fred

2007-03-10 2:31 PM

Veteran
Hey everyone! I hope you are all doing well.

I just got back from a week in Florida, where training was limited (by me) and the key lime pie was not! I did get in some ocean swimming and a few runs which was better than nothing.

I also learned a lesson. Do not run barefoot on the beach. I ran for about 25min and got a blister on my toe which was no fun, and this run also aggravated my achilles tendonitis problem--nothing bad but I could feel it.

Fred-Sorry about the bronchitis. Doesn't sound like fun.

I am participating in an indoor "triathlon" tomorrow. It will be 10 min Swim/20min Bike/20 min Run on treadmill. Should be interesting to see if I survive!

--George
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » fb444's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 6