BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alta's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-03-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: #723363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Alta's Group - FULL
Good time for 16 miles? However long it takes, I suppose. Way too many variables--terrain, weather, conditioning of rider, type of bike, etc. If youre concerned about where you will fit in time-wise at your race, see if prior year results are available online and check against them as to where you think you will finish. I'd just keep riding and not be concerned with time.

2007-03-19 10:34 AM
in reply to: #639509

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Oh boy everyone.....I did it...I finally registered for my triathlon!!! There's no turning back now!!
2007-03-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: #728269

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice!!!! Give em hell Kristen!
2007-03-21 7:59 PM
in reply to: #729930

Go get 'em Kristen!!! Yeah!!!

How are you all doing?!? Everyone's updates on training are so motivating. Sorry that I've been MIA - been training hard lately, plus traveling. I'll try harder to hang out on-line too...it's great to chat with all of you!!!

I'm getting geared up for the CA Ironman 70.3 next Sat 3/31 - just need to get in one more 4 hr ride, a long run and some swims then taper a bit. Please think of me next Saturday. Wish me luck, as I'll need any and all good thoughts. I appreciate it!!! It's just a 'B' race so I'm not taking it too seriously, but will probably get caught up in it.
Best In Training!!!
2007-03-22 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY

congratulations Kristen, I know you will do great. 

Cherry - I hope to one day say that a half ironman is a "b" race for me.  I will be thinking of you.  Go get 'em. 

To everyone else.  I applaud all your recent accomplishments, I have sent you all some inspires and it is really hard to get online with my latest job (no computer).  Judy, you will soon be running 8 1/2 minute miles you have improved so much.  trYgrl, hope you are feeling no pain.  Have a great day all.  Julie

2007-03-22 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
OK, I have to have a little brag time here..(it's the only thing that's going to keep me going!)

Had my best run of my training today; I ran 3 mi in 34:46 which was the first time I'd run a pace faster than 12 min/mi, and I had my first negative split (17:26/17:20). I was so excited when I finished (once I got over my pounding heart that is....)

You all know how much I struggle with and worry about my running ability so I wanted to share a good day!

I hope everyone else out there is doing well, staying healthy and injury free. Anyone have races coming up? (Besides Alta....BTW, Alta good luck!!!!! Go fast!!!!!!)

Have a great day!

Edited by kriscrn 2007-03-22 1:25 PM

2007-03-22 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Good job with the running Kristen!

I have my first race coming up on April 15!

I am excited and nervous. I am exhausted from trying to finish some contract work before I start a new job next week. Everything always happens all at once, right? I have also added another night of hockey into my schedule after being invited to play with a team that I really like. That has been making me have to shift around my tri training a a bit. I usually like to have a plan and stick to it, but lately I am flying by the seat of my pants squeezing in things here and there. Can't wait for things to settle down on the job front.

Good luck with continued success on your run Kristen!

And good luck to everyone else with upcoming races!

Judy

Edited by judytag 2007-03-22 2:00 PM
2007-03-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #733456

Hi! Hope you all have a great weekend. Julie - thanks for thinking of me (I plan to make 'em afraid..) Kristen, you're running is coming along great (so good to hear!) Judy, you play hockey too? Wow!
2007-03-23 4:00 PM

User image

hey everyone - i have been slacking big time in all respects....slacking on logging my workouts, slacking on keeping up with everyones posts, and slacking on the workouts (although not a very good one - i have travel as an excuse)

either way its count down to race day and i have to say im a little nervous.

the bad news is that although in month 1 i met all my goals - month 2 & 3 i am off by about a weeks worth of workouts for each month.

the good news is that I have an extra 3 weeks of training tacked onto the end of this schedule b4 my race, so i will complete all workouts although over a slightly longer period of time.

doesnt help with my nerves though. this is my first olympic distance, and i have heard nothing but scary things. if anyone out there has some honest (but still uplifiting ;-) ) stories to share about their first olympic experience i could really use the motivation!!

i cant imagine how i am going to complete a 1 mile swim, a 26 mile bike, and a 6 mile run...
i hope everyone else's month is going better than mine.

2007-03-23 4:00 PM

User image

hey everyone - i have been slacking big time in all respects....slacking on logging my workouts, slacking on keeping up with everyones posts, and slacking on the workouts (although not a very good one - i have travel as an excuse)

either way its count down to race day and i have to say im a little nervous.

the bad news is that although in month 1 i met all my goals - month 2 & 3 i am off by about a weeks worth of workouts for each month.

the good news is that I have an extra 3 weeks of training tacked onto the end of this schedule b4 my race, so i will complete all workouts although over a slightly longer period of time.

doesnt help with my nerves though. this is my first olympic distance, and i have heard nothing but scary things. if anyone out there has some honest (but still uplifiting ;-) ) stories to share about their first olympic experience i could really use the motivation!!

i cant imagine how i am going to complete a 1 mile swim, a 26 mile bike, and a 6 mile run...
i hope everyone else's month is going better than mine.

2007-03-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: #734957

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Hey hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Just wanted to let everyone know that my husband has just brought in Quintana Roo wetsuits and accessories at the store he is a buyer for.  Check out www.campmor.com if you want to check it out.  Thanks, Julie

2007-03-26 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Thanks for all of the support and inspiration. I haven't managed to respond to people individually so I am sending out a blanket THANKS to everyone!

Old contracts, new job, property taxes, tri training, family crapola... blah blah blah. When it rains it pours, right? I was getting run down, sore throat, swollen glands, etc. so I eased off my training a bit to allow some healing time. I really think that I needed a mental break, a "brain vacation," but my craziness rarely subsides altogether.

I am glad that I lightened my load last week, but now I am feeling a bit bummed that I only did about half of the volume intended for my "peak week" before I start to taper for my tri on 4/15. I think I will sneak in at least one long run and a long bike early this week and then get back to the training schedule.

That's my story. Happy training this week everyone.

Judy

Edited by judytag 2007-03-26 11:47 AM
2007-03-26 2:36 PM

Folks, apologies I haven been abesent for the past couple of months and managed no training .. long story but ended up with me having a Cardio Angiograph last week but thankfully have been given the all clear to train ... so once my leg returns to normal from the procedure I plan to be making up for the lost time ... I wish !!!

Its great to see the mentor program is going strong ...

have set my target for my 1st tri in July www.tritobeatcancer.com

2007-03-26 3:00 PM
in reply to: #737394

User image

Extreme Veteran
ManUtd, speedy recovery wishes sent your way.

Since we are checking in here: I am around, had a cold for a while and have been extremely busy at work, curtailing my swimming at lunch. Last week actually got 2 runs, 2 rides and 1 swim. Not bad. Weather has broken, got out for a nice, fast 65 mile ride yesterday. Yeah it was with a group, but so what.

Heres hoping everyone has a stellar week.
2007-03-26 5:48 PM
in reply to: #735035

User image

Grafton, WI

descasena - 2007-03-23 4:00 PM if anyone out there has some honest (but still uplifiting ;-) ) stories to share about their first olympic experience i could really use the motivation!! i cant imagine how i am going to complete a 1 mile swim, a 26 mile bike, and a 6 mile run... i hope everyone else's month is going better than mine.

Descasena--no frets you can do it, one foot in front of the other.  I tend to sing to myself when I do it to keep me focused and put in some humor.  My Olympic last year was sooo much fun!  I was having problems with my knee and foot leading up, but when I hopped off my bike I took a few seconds to stretch (It really wasn't much), but it was enough to get me through the run.  The course took a loop past the finish for the sprint and then you think you are done, but for the Olympic it continued up a two mile hill.  My favorite tri moment was when a lady at mile 5 said to me, wow you just have so much energy, it is so inspiring....can I draft off you?  Of course I said sure, but then I kicked it up just a little notch, after about 5 steps she was no longer behind me!  I think of that for inspiration all the time.  Enjoy the scenery on the bike and take in the fresh air and what you are doing.  It is amazing!  My swim I really struggled through.  I couldn' t find that groove, but definately picked it up in the other areas.  In any case, I finished and I finished well.  It gave me a lot of inner strength and I can only hope I get better soon so that I can do a half by the end of the summer! 

On the checking in point, last week seemed to go much better for me.  I have been swimming 3 days a week with a few short bikes workouts on a recumbent...not much at all.  At most 30 minutes on level 3.  Thurs. I pulled out my bike and actually went 8 miles.  Tonight I ran 1 mile, but it wasn't what I wanted.  I was hoping that last week was my upswing to getting back to, but after running tonight I realized that was false hope.  I go to the Orthopedic finally tomorrow, atleast I know it is still bothering me when I run, as I have been making it through the day fairly pain free.  I loved the feeling of the running and biking though, it is killing me!  I'm focusing on upper body strength, continue rehab of my shoulder from my surgery 2 years ago that I have neglected so I can keep swimming, and core strength and p.t.  It is really far from where I want to be, but maybe it is a blessing in disguise so that I focus on the biomechanical and strength that I tend to avoid.  I'll keep swimming, atleast in that I can kick butt!  I'm up to 2200 yds, and I know I could do more.   

Edited by trYgrl 2007-03-26 5:49 PM
2007-03-27 9:36 AM

User image

Thanks for the insight Trygrl....I'll keep that in mind!! Good luck everyone!

2007-03-27 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Descasena: I have no words of wisdom as I've never even completed a sprint, but I do want to say that I really admire anyone who gets out there and goes for their goals. I know that you're going to be so proud of yourself. (and I think Trygrl gave you the best advice anyone could give....get out there and enjoy yourself....you'll probably surprise yourself with how strong you really are! )

Trygrl:I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow....you really deserve a pat on the baclk for continuing your training in spite of injury; so many others would give up. Hope your knee is back to 100% sooner rather than later!

As for myself, I am SORE from my personal training yesterday.....but happy about it 'cause I know it means I'm getting stronger. I swam and biked today and for the first time I did over race distance on my bike, and apart from being absolutely starving, I felt pretty good.

Hope everyone else is happy with their training! Keep up the good work everyone!
2007-04-01 8:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Barely a chance to train this week, let alone check in.

My new job is a mess. Not sure what I am going to do. I had to receive 3 immunizations on Friday which made me sick for most of Friday night and Saturday. Huge bummer and obviously not great for my training schedule.

My first tri is 2 weeks from today and I just hope that the work that I have done so far will be enough of a foundation to make up for the last two weeks of minimal training. I am doing a long ride tonight and I know I am doing a 5K on Thursday but I don't know when I will be able to get to the pool. The new schedule is not at all flexible (and that was not part of the deal!).

I am hanging in there - hope everyone else is having better luck staying on schedule! :)

Edited by judytag 2007-04-01 8:21 PM
2007-04-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: #744840

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Judytag,

Sorry to hear about your new job being so inflexible. That has to be very disheartening.

All I can say is, you've worked hard up to this point and laid a good foundation. That and the adrenaline pump you'll get from race day will see you through. Not to mention you have all of us behind you. IF you get to a point where you're really tired just think of your mentor group on the sidelines cheering you on!!!!!! We believe in you!!!!!

Good luck getting ready!
2007-04-06 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Thanks for the support everyone!

It's been a long week at the new job and I am looking forward to heading down to ride the bike course tomorrow. In addition to all of the kind words from you folks, finishing the 5K yesterday helped me feel better about some of the glitches in my training.

8 days and counting!

Have a great weekend and happy training.

~Judy
2007-04-07 7:47 AM
in reply to: #752114

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Congrats on the 5K Judy!!!!

I'm going to be away next weekend, so let me offer you good luck in advance for your race next weekend. I can't wait to hear how it goes!!!!!!

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!

2007-04-07 9:21 AM
in reply to: #752114

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rock on Judy, youre going to do great. Youve got the run nailed, a good ride today (I am jealous, its like 200 below here in Chicago and I rode the trainer this morning) and before you know it you'll be thinking, this stuff is easy.

Work's been a drag on me lately too, my training has reallly suffered. Hopefully things will get a bit better here in April

Have a good weekend and let us know how the ride goes....
2007-04-08 8:29 PM

User image

Grafton, WI

Hey all!  I hope everyone had a fantastic Easter...I know I ate way more than I needed too...my mom is a great cook.  I went for a little walk with my Dad in the woods this evening.  Maybe 2 miles total, but the most I've done without pain in awhile.  I just wanted to share my news, I made my goal distance of 2500 yds on Thursday swimming.....It's nice to have a little extra time to spend on workouts.  This week I am on spring break, working on correcting papers and then finishing my action research paper (like a thesis) for my grad program.  I can't wait until I am done.  Since I went to my folks place for a few days, I will have taken 5 days off of doing anything, except walking which maybe will get me back on the bike finally.  I guess when you get away from the temptation a little it helps so that I am not go-go-go and not recovering.  So since I can't swim and it is freezing outside I don't want to walk much, and I sure as heck can't run and bike yet it has been a good break.  I will be back at it in a matter of days!  Yeah!  Keep plugging away everyone, race season is right around the corner! 

2007-04-09 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
The course ride went fine - my friend came with me. It was nice to have the company but I had to go slow because he was on a mtn bike and not used to going that far. I felt good afterwards, like I could actually run a few miles.

My husband and my sister are getting very excited for this Sunday. It feels great to have their support and nice to know there will be a few familiar faces waiting for me at the end... no matter how long it takes!

Did I mention that I am getting excited too? I hope everyone had a great Easter!

Judy

Edited by judytag 2007-04-09 10:02 PM
2007-04-09 10:06 PM
in reply to: #754749

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Best of luck Judy.  I am sure you will rock.  It doesn't matter how good you do really.  I was on such a high after my first race.  It was awesome.  Have fun.  Julie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alta's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11