Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-02-28 11:04 AM
in reply to: #639509

User image

Overland park/ KC area
Subject: RE: Alta's Group - FULL
Credit to this group!!

I have noticed that when others have asked, myself included for help or tip that people have chipped in and helped others out. I wanted to Say thanks to the group for the support everyone has shown me and others so far..

As for winter.. yeah ready for it to be over!! grrrr

Everyone keep up the good work!

2007-02-28 8:51 PM
in reply to: #706235

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
I totally agree!!!!!!!!

I know I couldn't keep going without the info and support given from this group both in the forum and as inspires on the training log....but I guess that's what we're all here for right?

I too am ready for spring...and I can't wait for everyone to start having their races. I'm really looking forward to hearing about how everyone does.
2007-03-01 2:28 PM

Hello all! it's been awhile since I've been able to check in. My training is going pretty good, but I have a loooooong way to go. I have a question about swim training. When doing, say, 100m repeats, how long is recommended between each repeat, 30sec, 1min? Today I did 400m warm up, 9x100 (Easy25, Bulid25, Easy25, Hard25) and I rested about 45 seconds between each repeat. Is that a good time or should it be less? Hope everyone is getting their goals!
2007-03-01 7:56 PM

User image

Grafton, WI

YIPPEE!!!  I made it 20  min. on level 2 of the bike tonight, almost painfree!!!!  After the past few days didn't think I would get far, but after getting through the first 5 min I made it!  Of course after I went through perhaps the most grueling P.T EVER, but you'll all be glad to know that my P.T told me I'd have no problem dealing with having kids......I think I'll take the epidural anyway!  Pst....don't tell my husband....I'll milk it for what it is worth! 

Who would have thought I would get so excited about 20 min of biking at a level 2? Thanks for listening to me whine! 

Rocko....I'm not sure, but usually 20 sec. rest is the longest I've ever seen.  Usually it is 10-15 sec. between sets.

2007-03-02 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
jlorusso - thank you thank you for the suggestion to get the Chi Running book.

I read as much as I could before my run tonight. Focusing on just three things (there is so much to correct ) I was amazed at my run and how much more comfortable I was and my shin splints were a non-issue. I am so grateful to have the book - what a great resource.

trYgrl - good job on the PT and level 2 for 20 minutes! Celebrate each victory (and every epidural).
2007-03-04 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
My first ocean swim today! Well, OK, I have been swimming in the ocean before... but usually it is warm enough that I don't need a wetsuit and if I am in a wetsuit there is a surfboard to float me. It's been a while for that too... but I digress.

I took my new wetsuit (scored a new 2005 Ironman for cheap at insideoutsports.com) for the maiden voyage today. It was cold out there and a little disorienting at first, but I felt pretty good about the swim once I finished. Glad I did it. Big milestone for me.

Hope everyone else is doing great!

2007-03-04 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
I have a question...

I had some pretty significant pain in my right ankle today...I'm thinking its my Achilles tendon....but I've never had a problem with it before. I think its just an inflammation, so my question is, what's the best way to get it better? I tried to run today, but I couldn't because it was too uncomfortable.

Thanks,
2007-03-04 5:34 PM
in reply to: #710945

User image

Grafton, WI

kriscrn - 2007-03-04 5:18 PM I have a question... I had some pretty significant pain in my right ankle today...I'm thinking its my Achilles tendon....but I've never had a problem with it before. I think its just an inflammation, so my question is, what's the best way to get it better? I tried to run today, but I couldn't because it was too uncomfortable. Thanks,

Ice and IBU...and rest.  Achilles tendon I believe is more toward the back of the leg and connects below your heel someplace, so not exactly ankle.  You might have just tweaked a ligament around your ankle.....

2007-03-04 9:05 PM
in reply to: #710960

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
That's exactly where my pain is......I figured the old standard treatments would apply here too, but since I've never had achilles pain before I wanted to be sure. I'm off to take some Advil. And I'll be skipping my run tomorrow...at least I can swim!

Thanks!
2007-03-04 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If it is your achilles, dont push it--can take a long time to heal and its not something you can run thru. Search these forums, theres plenty of discussion about it. Basically, if the pain is in the back part of the foot/ankle and radiates there, then its probably achilles tendonitis. If yourre tight in the morning, thats probably it.

Rest it, ice it and lots of advil; search the forums for info on calf stretches, etc.

This is a common overuse injury. Have you really ramped up your running lately?
2007-03-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #709891

User image

Extreme Veteran
nice job....at least you get to do some things outdoors! still cold and snowy here. Was thinking about a ride today, because the roads were pretty dry, but it was only 15 degrees at 7 am....too cold. Alas, 2 more hours on the trainer instead.

2007-03-04 10:21 PM
in reply to: #711149

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
kriscrn - if your calves are tight that can make your achilles strain worse and even take longer to get better. Once it has calmed down a bit, try some gentle stretching. The pool is great place to do some stretching too - after your swim when the muscles are nice and warm. Good luck with that! I know it can be frustrating to have the give it the rest that it needs.
2007-03-04 10:30 PM
in reply to: #711164

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
ChicagoMan65 - 2007-03-04 9:20 PM

nice job....at least you get to do some things outdoors! still cold and snowy here. Was thinking about a ride today, because the roads were pretty dry, but it was only 15 degrees at 7 am....too cold. Alas, 2 more hours on the trainer instead.

True - I shouldn't complain about the cold... If I could send you some sunshine I would!

This week my training program really picks steam. Big jump in volume after a short taper. I am actually excited to get my next run in. Who knew? Not scheduled to run until Wednesday but I might squeeze in a short one before then. I want to practice my newly learned techniques and make them habit!
2007-03-05 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So, I have to brag. I swam 1800 yds straight this afternoon. Ive never gone that far w/o breaking it into sets of some sort. Pretty freakin cool.
2007-03-05 6:06 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Way to go Chicagoman!!!  It feels good doesn't it, these little goals, or not so little for some people?  My little goal pat on the back of the day was 24 minutes on a bike...wait, it gets better....Level 3 and 4!!!  On top of that I did do a 1850 yd. swim this morning and I managed to make it through the day without totally throwing myself into a downward spiral of pain.  My goal this week is to be able to bike for 35 minutes at my tri clinic this weekend.  I was so excited to do this and they are analyzing our swim, bike and run....but really I can only swim well right now....absolutely no running and biking only on good days....kinda bummed, but atleast my brain works, right?  And who can be upset when daylight savings time is this weekend and at 7:00 it will still be light out!  I'll have to go for a long walk, and hopefully soon start running!  Way to go on your milestone....can't say I've swam all that at once either!  Kudos!
2007-03-05 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Congrats on the massive yardage ChicagoMan and trYgrl.
I think I'd need a trolling motor to get me that far non-stop!

My running is coming along thanks to everyone's suggestions - thanks again folks!
3 miles in 30:16. That's pretty good for this slow poke - and so far the shin splints are still MIA!
Woo hoo!

Have a great week everyone.

Edited by judytag 2007-03-05 7:42 PM

2007-03-06 6:36 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Congrats all on your huge accomplishments.  Right now I have a chest cold that is kind of wearing me down.  I still ran yesterday and plan on getting on the trainer this morning.  I am also having a real hard time with my two year old who is biting at school again.  It seems that whenever I have a job with long hours he falls back into this behavior.  My job is over and I have started a new one with shorter hours where I can bring them to school and it is only four days a week.  I am afraid he will be kicked out of this school as well and I have been cutting down on my training hours so I can spend more alone time with him w/o his 4 year old brother.  I am going to need therapy after this.  Have a great week everyone and thanks for letting me vent.  Julie
2007-03-06 7:09 AM
in reply to: #712584

User image

Grafton, WI

judytag - 2007-03-05 7:41 PM Congrats on the massive yardage ChicagoMan and trYgrl. I think I'd need a trolling motor to get me that far non-stop! My running is coming along thanks to everyone's suggestions - thanks again folks! 3 miles in 30:16. That's pretty good for this slow poke - and so far the shin splints are still MIA! Woo hoo! Have a great week everyone.

Congrats judytag!!  That is awesome!  Keep healthy and midway through your run kick it up a notch for me!  30:00 flat next time! Laughing You are doing great!

2007-03-09 11:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
3 miles in 29:05.

The tortoise is gradually getting there!

So, here is my story. Been practicing the good form in the Chi Running book, shin splints on the mend, and then I went and got fitted for a new pair of running shoes by the pros down at the running store. I wore the shoes tonight for my run and I have big and small blisters all over my feet!

The guy told me that I need to go half a size up to give my toes rooms to spread out naturally and they felt pretty good in the store - same brand that I already own. What's up? Are the blisters from slipping around in a shoe that is too big or what? Same socks, same everything. Believe it or not I do know how to tie my shoes (and skates), not too tight, not too loose.

Unless anyone can give me a reason why I should I give them another chance, I am going go back to wearing the shoes that never hurt and never gave me a blister! Perhaps I can return them (or sell them to my sister).
2007-03-10 5:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Same brand, same model, but bigger and causing blisters? Dump them. Go back to your old shoes. Take them back to the store and see if they will refund you or credit you, but I wouldnt wear them again.

On a different note, the weather has finally broken around here. Its actually warm and the snow melted away yesterday. All ready to go out and ride, but the streets are just too wet still. Alas, one more day on the trainer.....

Have a good weekend everyone.
2007-03-10 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to ride outside tomorrow - or at least this week!

I am going for a ride outside today - sadly my work schedule has been the cause for my time on the trainer. I am changing jobs right now and everything is crazy. My soon to be ex-boss would like me to do 2 months of work in the next 2 weeks. I just can't wait to settle into the new job and a steady schedule! If only I could get paid to train...

Have a great weekend everyone!

2007-03-13 12:47 PM

Sounds like everyone is doing well! Congrats on the swimming! I've gotten to the point of putting a couple of 1200m swims together with a short 2-3 minute break between. It feels great to see the results! I posted my best 10K time over the weekend of 53 minutes. I finally am starting to see the results from the training. I'm still way behind on my bike though. I still don't have a bike and need to get one. I have at least been doing spinning classes and riding on trainers to get my rides in, but soon it's not going to be enough. I've also lost 10 lbs. since mid January. Still looking to drop more. Hope everyone is doing well!
2007-03-13 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Good job Rocko on the weight loss, the 10K and the swimming success! That is great!
I started trainng in mid January too and I am pleased to have dropped a few pounds. It's like a bonus for all of the hard work. You are right it definitely feels good to see the results.

I suppose I should be looking for a bike too... but that may have to wait until after I pick my money tree or rob a bank. For now I am training on my mountain bike with road tires. My friend's husband has a road bike that he is willing to lend me for a while but I am nervous about doing my first tri on a bike that I am not too familiar with. My first tri is only 5 weeks out and I have never ridden a road before in my life - unless my ten speed in junior high counts!

Happy training everyone!

Edited by judytag 2007-03-13 7:52 PM
2007-03-14 8:49 AM
in reply to: #721951

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dont worry about difference between a road and mountain bike. As long as the bike is not ridiculously the wrong size you should be OK. A too big/small any kind of bike is potentially dagerous. Outside that, a bike is a bike is a bike. It will shift different and you will be positioned a bit different, but that's nominal. Ride it a couple times beforehand to adjust seat height to yourself and you'll be fine.

Lots of people get worried about the pedals. Swap them out for your MTB pedals or some other kind of platforms if you are leery of clipless.

You'll love a road bike, the feeling of speed is different than on an MTB. But keep in mind you can do your race on your MTB, many many many people do.
2007-03-14 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA
Today I rode for 35 minutes on my trainer and then promptly jumped off and hit the road for a short run. I felt pretty good, but my calves were really tight!

Hey, anyone know what is a good (decent) time for a 16 mile ride? I know terrain differs, etc., but how about a ball park?

I just realized today when I looked at the calendar that my tri is only 4 weeks away. Holy cow, time flies when you are having fun.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alta's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11