Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2007-01-02 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Back of the pack breathing hard
Subject: Jetpack's Group - FULL

NAME: Username tydarby / Real name - Tyler Darby aka "Jetpack"
STORY: I'm a 36 year old male that does triathlons because they keep me in shape and make me feel alive.  I found triathlons by accident after beating Testicular Cancer in 2004.  It was a totally life changing event.  I would like to mentor others cancer survivors to help show them that after the disease, the accomplishment of a triathlon only adds a cherry to the top of your "success sundae".  You don't have to be a cancer survivor to join this group.  Just someone motivated to make an honest effort to change your life and share it with others.
FAMILY STATUS: Just got engaged to my girl Kelley in Nov 06'
CURRENT TRAINING: Training under D3 Multisports for my first go at IM in Wisconsin 07'
LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year I completed 2 sprints, 1 time trial, 1 Olympic, 1 half marathon, 2 HIM's & the NYC Marathon. 
2007 RACES:  Repeat of the Orlando 70.3. Ironman
WEIGHTLOSS:  Prior to tri's I was a solid 200 pounds of mush.  Now holding at 165 and steady.

Edited by tydarby 2007-01-14 12:12 PM

2007-01-07 8:54 PM
in reply to: #640010

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Subject: RE: Jetpack's Group - Open
Tyler,

I'm not a cancer survivor, but, if you'll put up with me, I'd like to join your group. I'm 42 and about 60 lbs over weight at 240lbs, which I think means I have the greatest chance for improvement of all the mentoree's. I've participated in the 2004 Chicago tri, sprint distance, with a pulled hamstring but I finished. I took a "month" off to heal and am restarting after a little over two years and 30 more pounds. My goals for this year are to partcipate in the olympic distance Chicago in August, long term an Ironman in '08.

Right noe I'm doing some weight training and walking for a hour a day 4-7 days a week to try and get the weight off. I'm leaving in the morning for N.C and VA. for a week on business but am commited to still working out while I'm on the road.

I look forward to "talking" with you in the near future.

George.
2007-01-07 9:37 PM
in reply to: #645690

User image

Veteran

Tyler, I'm not a cancer survivor, but, if you'll put up with me, I'd like to join your group. George.

Let's hear it for the 1st  member of the Jetpack group, - Budda! - Wahoo!!!.   George your gonna be awesome.  And like I said, nobody HAS to be cancer survivor to be here.  I'm glad your not! Can't wait to learn more about you.  :-)

-Tyler

2007-01-08 2:57 PM
in reply to: #645716

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Tyler,

On my way to N.C. I was listening to a pod cast from Simply Stu. Was that you? If it was you can count on me to be at IM Wisconson to cheer you on.

George.
2007-01-08 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Ok Tyler time for some questions. When you first started running on the treadmill what kind of speeds were you doing? I did some walking with running mixed in today for 30 minutes. The run portion I was trying to do 10 minute mile pace, which is my old pace from when I was running. I had severe pain in my lower legs on the outside of the calf. This is a common problem I have when ever I restart a running program and usually goes away about the time I getg up to running two miles consistentantly. Today I tried slowing down my pace to around a 12 min/mile and this seemed to help. Have you ever expierenced anything like this? I could really use a spell checker on this thing.

While I'm at it any nutrition tips or tricks you used during your weight loss?

I guess thats all for now.

Thanks,
George.
2007-01-08 8:50 PM
in reply to: #646642

User image

Veteran

Buddaha1964 - 2007-01-08 3:57 PM Tyler, On my way to N.C. I was listening to a pod cast from Simply Stu. Was that you? If it was you can count on me to be at IM Wisconson to cheer you on. George.

Yup, that was me on Simply Stu. Isn't he so cool.  I got a chance to meet with Stu and run with him.  Just me and him. Running with Stu is awesome.  He runs like a jackrabbit.   PS- Want some other podcasts to listen to?  Go to Itunes and lookup JETPACK.  I would love to see you in Wisconsin in 07'!  Thanks for your support.  But I'm here for you and the next 4 that what to join our group.

About your walking and pain--- When I recovered from TC and decided to get on a treadmill and do something with my health and weight all I did was just walk for a bit.  Each day was a goal.  "Just 10 minutes today"  A week later "OK let's try 15"  Soon it became 30.  The weight started to come off.  Fast.  One thing I would suggest about a treadmill and running is to be wary of over exerting yourself and running too hard.  Some people feel that if they are not huffy and puffing they aren't getting a good workout and burning up the calories.  When what is happening they are overexerting for weight loss and fat burning.  The speed I was walking varied between 3.3 and 4.0 mph.   As for the pain on the side of the leg by the calf, I would suggest a light massage of the area before&after you do your treadmill work.  Are you working with a Heart Rate Monitor? 

T

2007-01-09 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Tyler,

Today I set the treadmill at 5.0 mph after yesterdays run/walk and after listening to simplystu #52 about taking it easy to improve. I was able to run two miles my average hr was 142 bpm. I didn't have much trouble breathing but my legs were a little sore from yesterday so I stopped there. Tomorrow my plan is the stationary bike at the hotel in Portsmouth VA, or a slow walk for recovery. Thursday I'll run again.

As far as the weight, I seem to have a very tough time getting it off. I try to stay within 2000-2500 cals. a day and stay fairly active. I just developed high blood pressure and the doctor was telling me I needed some lifestyle changes until I told him what I do for exercise, he didn't hesitate to prescribe meds then. I really need to get the weight off though if I'm going to do an IM next year.

While I'm on the road I'm really watching my intake to see if maybe I'm eating when I don't realize it. Next Monday I'll know for sure when I do my offical weigh in, although today at lunch I did indulge and get some pulled pork and one glass of sweet tea (I do love the south), so tonight its just a salad for me.

One of the guys I work with is trying to get into Wisconson also so now I have two people to cheer for, twice the motivation for me.

George
2007-01-10 7:47 PM
in reply to: #645690

Jetpack,

I'd like to join the group if possible. I'm undertall for my weight (I need to be about 7' tall instead of 5'11. I did a sprint tri last year on a mountain bike and my goals for this year is to compete in 3-5 tris (3-4 sprints, one olympic). I want to get in shape and drop the clydesdale tag. Looking forward to getting in shape and learning more about myself and triathlons.
2007-01-10 8:13 PM
in reply to: #649951

User image

Veteran

Welcome BigGuy,

Of course you can join.  Your #2.  As soon as we hit the magic # of 5 we'll really start to kick off this group, motivating each other, learning from each other, sharing stories and have a rockin 2007!. 

I'll be checking in about twice a week on our group.  Nothing has really gotten off the ground yet.  Just two people with clear intentions to change their life (Yours and Budda's).  Can't wait for the others.  If the group hasn't hit 5 "Members" to mentor, we'll just go about 2007 on our own and have a blast.  Don't feel you have to direct all questions solely to me.  I'm just the mentor, the guy that's got a little experience in triathlon, used to be overweight, had trouble with asthma & allergies.  So I've been in the alot of the places you might be coming from.

-Tyler

Edited by tydarby 2007-01-10 8:14 PM
2007-01-11 11:35 AM

Hi Tyler,
I would like to join the group.
I still consider myself a newbie, but this will be my second season of triathlon. Last year I completed a sprint and an oly distance. I was completely hooked.
My goal this year is the half ironman distance. I recently signed up for the Steelhead 70.3, which is located pretty much in my back yard...so I couldn't resist.
I've been a little slow out of the gate so far this year. I could definatley use some motivation to help get me ready for Steelhead as well as some pointers on setting up a training plan.
Looking forward to a great group!
Kim
2007-01-11 1:41 PM
in reply to: #650755

User image

Veteran

adamo - 2007-01-11 12:35 PM Hi Tyler, I would like to join the group. Looking forward to a great group! Kim

That's I'll we needed to hear! Let's hear for #3 - KIM !!

2007-01-12 4:52 AM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Finally our group is growing, hi everybody.

I ran two miles today, I was going to run three but I couldn't keep my heart rate under 155 bpm. So my question today is if I keep running at this high heart rate will it eventually come down if I run at the same pace?
2007-01-12 9:53 AM
in reply to: #651787

Nice job getting in the run Buddaha!
I have the same problem keeping my heart rate down when I run. It seems as though sometimes I have to stop and walk in order to get it back in the zone again and then once I start running, right back up it goes. I have noticed that my heart rate goes up pretty fast when I run in the cold. Am I not warming up enough?

Kim

www.the-road-to-tri.blogspot.com
2007-01-12 1:51 PM

New user

Tyler,

If there's still room for an old (42) overweight (but losing) beginner, I'd like to join the group. I've been biking and running for the past 3 months and have just recently started the swim portion.

Jon
2007-01-12 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Jon, Hopefully your birthday is before Oct. 18th, so I'm not the oldest one here. LOL. You, Bigguytri and I are all gonna lose the weight together. Kim I noticed that was the second post I wrote this week with an excuse as to why I didn't run three miles. So Sunday , my next run day, I'm going to make three no matter what. I was very irratable talking with the wife today so maybe I am fatigued and just didn't know it. Tomorrow I'll take it easy and recover from this last week on the road.
2007-01-12 4:34 PM
in reply to: #652689

We're all young at heart, right? Besides, I'm catching up to you all since today is my birthday :0)
I ran 2 and walked 2 today and did a little strength training. I really don't like the treadmill much, but the weather was wet and cold (crappy), so that's what I did. I managed to keep my heart rate down most of the time, but I was going pretty slow.
My goal is to lose 15-20lbs before Steelhead. I've heard that every pound is 7 pounds of pressure on the knees when running...just another reason to lighten up.
Kim

2007-01-12 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Kim, happy birthday. Hows it feel to be 29?
2007-01-12 6:46 PM
in reply to: #652689

New user

Ok, I'm the old guy (March 28th)....... so far, but the groups not full! There's still hope for me, and my fingers are crossed.
2007-01-12 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Hope there is still room. I would like to join the group. I consider myself still a beginner because there is still a lot to learn. I did 4 sprints and 1 duathlon last year but feel I can do a lot better.

Im 36 male in Columbus OHIO currently at 207 but would like to get down to 185 to 190 before the season starts. I've wanted to do a triathlon for years but never got around to it. Then last year I talked my neighbor into trying it and I did my first then couldn't wait till the next one once the sorenss left my body.

Right now I plan on doing 5 to 6 sprints and an early season duathlon. I would love to step up to the olympic distance but am worried of that long of a swim. Needless to say the swim is the weakest part. Something happens in the open water. I don't see a lot of improvement as I do with biking (spinning)and running. Feel stuck in the water with improving. So I have been doing more swimming and running for right now to improve these.

Would like some motivation to help get me in the gym an little more and with nutrition. I feel if I can lose some weight and eat heathier it will help me a great deal.

So lets start training.

Thanks, Patrick

Edited by PGilger 2007-01-17 10:57 AM
2007-01-12 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I hate treadmills but weather is to bad in Ohio today. Hopefully will get outside a couple times this weeken.
2007-01-13 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Anyone heard from Jetpack since yeaterday?

Today I went to the gym with a friend and his wife. I intended on doing an easy hour on the stationary bike but they were on the elypticals so I figured I would walk for an hour. They only wanted to do 40 minutes so after 4 minutes of walking I started to run which felt good so I ran three miles. Thats the farthest I've run in almost a year but my pace was pretty slow 12 min/mile. My heart rate avg was 139 with a max of 159. The last minute I went up to a 10 min/mile pace. After the run we lifted weights for about an hour then I walked for another 20 minutes to get my hour aerobics. This week I burned a total of 2238 cals. acording to my HR monitor. My goal is 2500 per week. On Monday I do my official weigh in. Right now it looks like it'll be another half pound down.

During the last mile of my run my right foot went completely numb, from the ankle down. Does anybody else have this problem? And what did you do about it?

George.

2007-01-13 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
Boy do I need a spell checker. Might be time for a nap also.
2007-01-13 2:15 PM
in reply to: #653372

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
In the pool this morning. Did my 1/2 mile in 19 plus minutes. Just about usual. Wanted to run outside but raining all day. Will run outside tomorrow rain or shine.
2007-01-13 3:23 PM

New user

Ran 3 miles this morning and then took the dog on a two mile walk.
2007-01-13 3:33 PM

Unsure whether or not this group is full yet or not. This group appears to be what I'm looking for as this year I will be attempting my first mini tri here in Michigan. I'm 36, 6'2 and 215 lbs, I know, I know.... the clydesdale division. My hopes are to shed some pounds and be under 200. I finished my first marathon this past October in just under 4 hours, which was FANTASTIC for me. I've caught the bug big time, but haven't a clue how to train for a triathlon at all hence the reason I'm here!!! If there is anyone that needs a support group/mentor, it is me!!! Just a sidenote Tyler, I've been an active team memer of The American Cancer Society's Relay For Life for the past eight years! You are an inspiration buddy! Thanks for being here
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jetpack's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14