BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-01-03 6:14 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ...
Hello to all. I'm looking for a casual, informative, open exchange here. If you want to debate how many sips of gatorade you should drink for every 6 minutes on the bike, I'm not your man. But I will tell you about all the times I've fallen off my bike because: (a) I forgot to clip out of my pedals; (b) I decided to pull off the course into some sand -- see IM Lake Placid race report for more details; or (c) I stopped for water on the upside of a huge hill, thinking all I needed was a quick break, only to start going backwards when I jumped back on.

NAME/STORY: I chose this name as I approached my 40th. I'm 41 now, but don't mind repeating the year. (My wife had the right idea -- she stopped at 29, and while this was cute as I got older and older, it now just seems a little creepy.)

PAST RACES: On a whim, I did my first sprint tri 5 years ago just to see if I could do it. I liked the challenge and kept up with it. I enjoy the mix of training. I've raced all distances, including an Ironman, and have placed in my age group in sprint events. I've posted a few race reports.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to a great woman who recognizes that I become seriously cranky if I don't exercise reqularly. And she says my snoring is not so bad on days when I've run long. Her only fault is an amazing metabolism that allows her to eat whatever she wants with no repercussions. I get fat dreaming about a pizza.

2007 RACES: 2007 is the year of the vacation race. If it's an area my wife wants to visit, we'll go. This is only fair, as the last 2 years have involved travelling to Orlando (IM 70.3) and Lake Placid (IM) for my obsession and leaving her standing alone for hours on end on the shores of other lakes and rivers throughout the eastern US. I'm registered for a Myrtle Beach 2.5 mile ocean swim in April, and the Escape from Alcatraz tri in San Francisco in June. I'd love to get to Florida or Montreal in the fall for a full distance race. Add a handful of local races, century rides, 5/10ks, and a planned marathon, and you have my season.

CURRENT TRAINING: My training is part haphazard, part scheduled. I know what I want to do in a week, but demands of work and life sometimes make me reschedule the longer distances. If I'm up early enough, and the body feels good, I just try to get the longer portions done irrespective of what I've planned. I know it's not nearly as obsessive/compulsive as some, but I'm not training for gold. (Although I would like to win my age group. Hmmm... might have to rethink that part.)

WEIGHT LOSS GOAL: It's the same every year. Hit 170-174, so I'm no longer considered obese on the insurance industry's height/weight chart. I'm usually there by June, and keep it until about Halloween, when I find it's my solemn duty to eat all of the leftover candy.

I look forward to training with you this season.

Edited by prof40 2007-03-27 4:51 AM

2007-01-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- OPEN
I like your style and approach. I have a very busy life as I am an MD as well as a scientist (plus I am newly married so that takes more time than even work) so skipping workouts happens often. But I did do two sprint's last year and I was happy with my results.

My issue is that I am slightly overweight (6'1" 204 lbs.)and I love good food and wine, however, I am blessed with good endurance and a strong will so I sometimes outpreform my actual training. For example I ran a 3:25 marathon with an average training of 5-8 miles/week or I did a sprint triathlon in 1:10 with only really working out 2-3 times per week(not spectacular times but good for my low level of training).

I do feel like I want to take it to another level now so I look forward to some tips. I also like having a race to train for as well as using it as an excuse to travel.

I don't know if I ever want to do an ironman as it seems to me that the long run beats up the body. What do you think?

Edited by jmtrevejo 2007-01-06 10:45 AM
2007-01-07 12:51 AM

User image

Hi there- I just became a member so Im not even sure what this whole community is all about but I read your mentor profile and thought you sounded pretty layed back about the whole thing which is what Im looking for. Then I read your Lake Placid Ironman report and laughed out loud and decided what the hell, I'll join the group.

I have been doing triathlons for 5 years now and have mainly used races as a reason to keep on working out, and hopefully loose weight. Like the guy above me, I work in medicine as a Physician Assistant and often life and career (and food and wine) gets in the way of training but I try to be consistent. My big goal for this year is to finish an Olympic Distance Race, something I have never tryed before. I have done umpteen sprints tri's and finish always middle of the pack for my age group which is pretty surprising since I am definitely overweight and could race in the "Athena" category. Swimming is my strength and running is my weakness. Im a decent cyclist but dont really like it for some reason. I just did my first half-marathon in SF (the Nike Womens) and my 3rd Hood to Coast Running Relay so I know I have endurance, I just have no fast-twitch muscle fibers to speak of.

I hope to be good at tracking my training, writing on the forum, etc but I hope you all understand if there are some weeks its just not doable.
2007-01-07 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Hi David,

I'm just beginning this fitness thing at 40 as well. I am a chiropractor and single mother of three, so I really have to be creative to find time for myself (like waking up at 3 am to exercise very quietly in my living room which I turned into a gym). I have a heavy bag and use it to work those upper body muscles, a mountain bike on a trainer, a now broken treadmill, and a minitrampoline that I "run" on using a pedometer. I think it's about 1900 steps to equal a mile for me, but who knows? I just try to get more steps in faster without waking up the kids! In the warmer months, I can take the kids less than one block over to the elementary school playground where they can play while I run on the track there. So, I do think this is possible! But I suffer from the occasional bouts of thinking I must be insane to try to do this at my age, in my condition (I was a nerd and not an athlete), and with all my obligations. Then I read about other crazy people doing this and get my courage back. What do I really have to lose? Want to be my coach? My name is Pene (pronounced like Renee).
2007-01-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: #645142

User image

Sounds like this is becoming the medical team group. No but seriously I also want to transition into olympic distance this year. I am trying this training log and I feel it is a good motivator as well as helping me keep organized and focus. I know I sound like an advertisement but I would try it out.
2007-01-07 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Hello to all, and welcome. It's finally winter here in Pennsylvania: 30s, with expected snow in a few hours. I've been spoiled by the spring-like temperatures.

I had to laugh when I saw the references to spouses/kids, food and wine. Sounds like we all have some common distractions. Not that I'm complaining about any of them. (Okay, maybe the merlot. A bottle of merlot and my head is on my desk the next day. And maybe cheesecake. I'm convinced it's actually a dairy food, no matter what Dr. Atkins might have said. And my wife -- uh, wait there, I shall not create marital disruption on a blog. God knows I'm good enough at doing sufficiently stupid things in private.)

So where do we go from here? I'd like to know if you have any races planned*, even if they are just "possibles" on your schedule. I find I'm much more motivated when I'm counting down the weeks to something specific versus the general "I'm getting into shape" idea. If you'd like me to look at your logs, tell me. As for questions, you've all asked some good ones, and instead of just answering off the cuff, I'd prefer to answer them intelligently. Which means I need to brew coffee. Look for answers tonight and tomorrow.

* If you're not sure what's coming up in your area, check out www.trifind.com for a race calendar that is allegedly "the world's largest listing of triathlon and multi-sport events." I cannot vouch for that boast, but it is extensive, and as summer gets closer, more race directors will submit their events. It's a site worth saving.

2007-01-07 2:42 PM
in reply to: #645218

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-07 10:27 AM

Hi David,

I'm just beginning this fitness thing at 40 as well. I am a chiropractor and single mother of three, so I really have to be creative to find time for myself (like waking up at 3 am to exercise very quietly in my living room which I turned into a gym). I have a heavy bag and use it to work those upper body muscles, a mountain bike on a trainer, a now broken treadmill, and a minitrampoline that I "run" on using a pedometer. I think it's about 1900 steps to equal a mile for me, but who knows? I just try to get more steps in faster without waking up the kids! In the warmer months, I can take the kids less than one block over to the elementary school playground where they can play while I run on the track there. So, I do think this is possible! But I suffer from the occasional bouts of thinking I must be insane to try to do this at my age, in my condition (I was a nerd and not an athlete), and with all my obligations. Then I read about other crazy people doing this and get my courage back. What do I really have to lose? Want to be my coach? My name is Pene (pronounced like Renee).

I saw that you were on and wanted to quickly say hello.

I've done the early morning exercise routine -- not at 3, but there was a period when work committments had me on the treadmill by 4 for a few weeks. I'm not a "light" runner, and on occassion have been known to shout encouragement to myself. My wife was tolerant, but not amused.

I feel your pain for the broken treadmill. My treadmill MD removed the motor of mine for follow-up work. I'm keeping fingers crossed its not a fatal problem. Kudos for using the mini-trampoline. I'm not sure I'd be able to stay upright and on it. As for your steps, I think you're right, with 1900 approx. equalling a mile. But nothing beats the real thing. You've got to find a time to run.

So, your questions -- sure, I'd love to work with you. Just be forewarned that I am not a doctor, have never been a doctor, and therefore reserve the right to offer very bad personal experience as advice which you may, but preferably will not, imitate on your triathlon quest.

What do you have to lose? Nothing. And since you work out with a bag, I'll have to be especially careful what I say to you, or risk you hunting me down and beating me up.

Are you insane? Well, what exactly is the definition of that according to the DSM? And it's not like you're doing something truly wacky, like putting on headgear and getting into the ring.

Just one serious note, and with your professional background and family obligations, you've probably done it. Get a physical. The one promise I keep every year to my wife is a routine check-up, just to make sure there's nothing wrong that could lead to me dropping dead in a race. Go ahead, smile knowingly, and say that never happens. Ok, here's the truth - it's happened 2x in races I've done to out of shape guys trying to do much too much too fast. Heck, and if I recall correctly, in 2005 a guy drowned the day before the Florida 1/2 IM in a practice swim.

Ok, now here's the good side to this triathlon thing. Two things, actually. First, there's nothing as good as when your GP looks you over and says, "Wow, you're really in great shape." And second: imagine the amazed, cheering faces of your 3 children as Mom starts sprinting to the finish line. They, and you, will remember that day for a long time to come.

Welcome to triathlon. Pick a race and let's get started.

2007-01-07 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Thank you! I can tell you have a wonderful sense of humor and will be extremely encouraging. What is the best treadmill to buy? Mine is broken beyond compare, I'm afraid. I've looked at all the types out there, and my head starts to spin. I met a woman who does marathons at a seminar and she said the more expensive, the better. However, she also said that I'm not a huge person, so a cheaper one might be okay. Thankfully, wine is not a temptation for me, as I don't drink at all. One half glass and I'm giggling and under the table. I think I'm allergic, actually. No, I don't box competitively.......yet. Just kidding. But I don't have easy access to a pool, so I reasoned that punching might sort of work those upper back and arm muscles necessary to swim, not to mention the abs and even hips. Women have to punch from the dantien (tai chi terminology). You punch from your center and it's more effective. I thought I had a line on an endless pool that someone was just giving away, but then it turned out to just be a tease. That would have been excellent. I was gonna have it installed in a back room in my office. Even had a patient that does plumbing and could install it, cause he actually owes me money! Oh, well. Maybe I'll win the lottery and can get one new. Okay, I'm going to bite the bullet and find a tri to sign up for. Yikes! Thanks again.
2007-01-07 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Okay--I did it! I signed up for a March 10 indoor tri and a June outdoor tri. The indoor one is 1/4 mile swim (8 laps in the pool), 5 mile bike (stationary) and 2 mile run (treadmill). Since all my training is indoors right now, it seems reasonable that in 8 weeks I can be ready. So, David, you have lots of work to do! Give me my next orders, please This will be my first ever attempt, so I have no real goal except to finish and not totally embarrass myself! Do I need a wet suit for an indoor swim? They have this aquasphere suit that is supposed to be lighter weight and a combination between a normal wetsuit and a bathing suit. Any experience with this? The outdoor event is about 30 miles from me, so I'm gonna recruit friends and family to come cheer me on.
2007-01-07 7:50 PM
in reply to: #645375

User image

Signing up for a race sounds like a good suggestion. I am definitely doing a sprint tri in June and then I want to do at least one olympic if not more. I am starting to do the winter maintanence program and I am logging my items. I am also working on my swim as that is my weakest, but I have made pretty good headway so far.

Questions: How many races do you think I should aim for this year?....I guess my ultimate goal is to do a 1/2 ironman and if I find that I am really getting good at this go for the full ironman.

2007-01-07 11:46 PM

User image

Everyone has been busy writing I see! Good job to Phoenix for signing up for races. It really does help to have deadlines...

I am planning on doing an olympic distance tri on June 17th here in the Pacific NW. Hopefully the water temperature will be up a bit, you never know around here. I also am trying to decide how many races I should do, mainly because the entrance fees start to add up. I think maybe one per month from June-September? The other thing I havent decided yet is if I want to do a half marathon again in October. I loved the race I did in San Fran this year, and want to do it mainly because it was a great trip. Do you think its reasonable to train for both tri's and the half? Last year I mainly focused on the half, and did a few sprints for fun. Its sounds like you do both type of events as well.
I havent quite started my *serious* training schedule yet but I usually run 3-4x/week with my long run being around 5-6 miles and the others around 2-3 miles. I havent been on a bike except for my 10min ride to/from work 3 days a week. Im trying to decide if I should buy an indoor trainer or just try to get in some rides inbetween the raindrops. The weather here in Seattle has been a bit challenging with snow storms, windstorms, and of course rain storms. Ive been back in the pool about 2x/week for the past month. I ordered a book called Triathlon Training Plans by Gale Bernhardt after previewing her olympic plan online. Once I get it, I'll start logging.

The other area I am still a little foggy about is strength training- I have never been great at finding a routine that I stick too. I try to go to yoga 2x/week- do you guys think that counts as strength training? Or if not, any recommendations?

2007-01-08 4:43 AM
in reply to: #644639

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jmtrevejo - 2007-01-06 11:37 AM

I like your style and approach. I have a very busy life as I am an MD as well as a scientist (plus I am newly married so that takes more time than even work) so skipping workouts happens often. But I did do two sprint's last year and I was happy with my results.

My issue is that I am slightly overweight (6'1" 204 lbs.)and I love good food and wine, however, I am blessed with good endurance and a strong will so I sometimes outpreform my actual training. For example I ran a 3:25 marathon with an average training of 5-8 miles/week or I did a sprint triathlon in 1:10 with only really working out 2-3 times per week(not spectacular times but good for my low level of training).

I do feel like I want to take it to another level now so I look forward to some tips. I also like having a race to train for as well as using it as an excuse to travel.

I don't know if I ever want to do an ironman as it seems to me that the long run beats up the body. What do you think?

Ok, let me get this straight: you're an MD, ran my marathon goal time, and in your first season did a sprint tri in a time fast enough to place in most races. All with little work out time. I hate guys like you -- you're probably young and handsome and married to a woman who models in her spare time, too.

Hmmm, I must work on setting my jealousies aside if this mentor thing is going to work.

So to answer your questions, yes, you can easily take this up a notch to an Olympic distance. You have natural ability. As for the Ironman, and whether it beats up the body, you already have experience with the marathon so you know what you're getting into. By the time you start running in an IM, its almost over. Does it beat up your body? Sure. But it's a good pain. And the race high sticks with you for a few weeks after.

How many races should you do this year? Well, how much time do you have? And how many weekend mornings do you want to drive off somewhere? There's really no limit on how many you can do. I'd go every weekend if I could, just because I enjoy them. But life and committments prevent that from happenening.

If you want to race often, I'd label them as "A", "B" and "C" races. "A" races are the ones you really want to go all out for. "B"s are good ones you want to do, but its not so much to win but to do. And "C"s are the training races. Do those instead of your regular training for that day, and work on the little things, like improving your transition times, or testing gels/drinks. A 5k/10k could be a "C" race instead of your planned run. If you restrict your motivation to go fast every time, and actually do the "C" race as just a training day, you'll be fine.

Do you want to do a 1/2 IM this year? You can do it, as you have the time. I did my first one with about 8 weeks of training and on my mountain bike. (Long story short -- I wasn't sure I really liked triathlons enough to invest serious money into equipment. The deal I made with myself was to do a long race, and if I wanted to do it again, I'd buy a bike.) Unlike full distance races, the halfs usually don't sell out a year in advance. Look around, race your sprint, do your Olympic, and if you feel like going for it, pick a 1/2 distance race in October.

A word of advice on using races as an excuse to travel. Last night, my wife and I were talking about a weekend away for her upcoming repeated 29th birthday, and I mentioned renting a condo on Hilton Head. With expectation in her voice, she asked if there was a race that weekend. I don't think she believed me when I said I hadn't looked. You're a newlywed and your practice puts limits on your time as it is -- don't let training take over the marriage. For a bit, it did mine, and I was unbearable. (My realization -- she never said a word.)

It sounds like you have some good things planned for the summer. I'm looking forward to hearing how it all goes.

2007-01-08 5:02 AM
in reply to: #645475

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-07 5:48 PM

Okay--I did it! I signed up for a March 10 indoor tri and a June outdoor tri. The indoor one is 1/4 mile swim (8 laps in the pool), 5 mile bike (stationary) and 2 mile run (treadmill). Since all my training is indoors right now, it seems reasonable that in 8 weeks I can be ready. So, David, you have lots of work to do! Give me my next orders, please This will be my first ever attempt, so I have no real goal except to finish and not totally embarrass myself! Do I need a wet suit for an indoor swim? They have this aquasphere suit that is supposed to be lighter weight and a combination between a normal wetsuit and a bathing suit. Any experience with this? The outdoor event is about 30 miles from me, so I'm gonna recruit friends and family to come cheer me on.

Wow, someone doesn't waste time. Since you're swimming in an indoor pool, you don't need a wetsuit. Although it might be entertaining for the rest of us to watch.

I've never done an indoor tri, so you're the one who's going to educate me. But I looked at your race, and it seems like its all time trials -- swim set, a break, to the bike for a set duration, then a break, to the treadmill. You should be fine with a swimsuit, and since it looks like you'll have a longer transition time than in a regular race, you can probably change into normal gear. Ask someone at the venue, though, to be sure.

I don't know about the Aquasphere. But take these words of advice before you spend any money -- DONT SPEND ANY MONEY. Clear enough? I like triathlons, and when I buy something, it's because I have some experience and know what I want/need. You haven't done one yet. Before you go buying anything, do a few races. Figure out where you chafe. Experience the (relatively harmless) pain of poor equipment. Decide if you even want to keep this tri thing up. If you do, then go shopping. I know, I know, it's attitudes like mine that defeat our whole market based economy, but you don't need a $200 bathing suit in the closet if you're never going to do another race again.

As for your June race -- brrrr. Check last year's water temperature. Believe me, someone somewhere recorded it, whether it's at the official website or in a race report here at BT. If it was cold, you should consider a wetsuit. But look around before buying. Some tri stores (even on-line stores) will rent them. I'd rent before you go buying, unless you are definitely certain you are going to keep this up.

So you want homework, eh? If only my students were so eager. Find answers to those questions I mentioned above, see if you can find a race report, and go work out. Spread your indoor tri over the next few days, and do each of the distances, just to see if you can and how you feel. And log it, so we can see how you're doing.
2007-01-08 5:06 AM
in reply to: #645788

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-01-08 12:46 AM

Everyone has been busy writing I see! Good job to Phoenix for signing up for races. It really does help to have deadlines...

I am planning on doing an olympic distance tri on June 17th here in the Pacific NW. Hopefully the water temperature will be up a bit, you never know around here. I also am trying to decide how many races I should do, mainly because the entrance fees start to add up. I think maybe one per month from June-September? The other thing I havent decided yet is if I want to do a half marathon again in October. I loved the race I did in San Fran this year, and want to do it mainly because it was a great trip. Do you think its reasonable to train for both tri's and the half? Last year I mainly focused on the half, and did a few sprints for fun. Its sounds like you do both type of events as well.
I havent quite started my *serious* training schedule yet but I usually run 3-4x/week with my long run being around 5-6 miles and the others around 2-3 miles. I havent been on a bike except for my 10min ride to/from work 3 days a week. Im trying to decide if I should buy an indoor trainer or just try to get in some rides inbetween the raindrops. The weather here in Seattle has been a bit challenging with snow storms, windstorms, and of course rain storms. Ive been back in the pool about 2x/week for the past month. I ordered a book called Triathlon Training Plans by Gale Bernhardt after previewing her olympic plan online. Once I get it, I'll start logging.

The other area I am still a little foggy about is strength training- I have never been great at finding a routine that I stick too. I try to go to yoga 2x/week- do you guys think that counts as strength training? Or if not, any recommendations?

Hello, and welcome! I see you there, but I must start my day, and you've asked some great questions that justify time to answer. Check back tomorrow morning!

I do feel that some yoga positions count as strength training, notably downward facing dog, plank pose, and table. I'm trying to do 1-2 hours/week with my wife, and I have to admit, I was surprised at the effort involved in some of those poses. The stretching is great, too.

See you tomorrow.
2007-01-08 12:33 PM
in reply to: #645818

User image

Well just from looking at your trianing logs I see that if I had just an ounce of your organization skills I could do all of these things much more efficiently. I am trying, however, and I like the logging system on this website. By the way I also do yoga although I haven't been doing it as much lately but I find that it really helps with the core strength as well. I think I am going to target twice a week.

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. Maybe I will try for a 1/2 ironman this year. I will see how it goes after the olympic distance. I am excited now because I am using my lates xmas gift the heart rate monitor and I am now realizing that my pain threshold probably allowed me to push myself harder than I should. I am going to try and keep my heart rate below the lactate threshold so that I can improve more aerobically before doing speed training. As for your advice on buying things I think it is excellent. Way too many people get all of the top equipment and don't remember that the body is the most important peice of equipment.

Sounds like you have a great season ahead. I think I may try and run a 1/2 marathon as well. By the way I do have a busy life but do not have kids so my hat is off to the other members like phoenixrising who have to train at 3am.....
2007-01-08 2:04 PM

Hello! I'm totally new to all of this and unfortunately, not an MD like the majority. I'm actually a college student in Wisconsin (which may end up limiting my training time depending on the point in the semester). I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance. I don't know where to start, where to sign up, etc etc. Overall, I just need to get back into shape and I'm thinking with a routine and schedule, I'll be able to attain that goal. Unfortunately, being a college student and from Wisconsin, I love my beer! haha. I don't know how willing I will be to sacrifice going out every week, but I will do whatever is necessary. I used to have a slight eating disorder and I'm far more willing to turn to something more productive like this than go back to those days. I've never done a race before and my endurance is shot. For now, I'm guessing I should just start at a basic sprint. I guess that would be a good start? So, I'm heading to the gym in a little while. I'm not going to start a training schedule until I get a little more advice, but overall, is this a good choice for weight loss and getting into shape?

2007-01-08 6:14 PM
in reply to: #646509

User image

I defer to the professor but I will say that I have never felt better than after training and running last year even for the sprint. I had never really swam before but swimming has changed my life as I love the low impact and it pumps your upper body up. One thing I would recommend is to really try and take your time with the swim to get good form. I would take a class.
2007-01-08 7:02 PM
in reply to: #645142

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-01-07 1:51 AM

Hi there- I just became a member so Im not even sure what this whole community is all about but I read your mentor profile and thought you sounded pretty layed back about the whole thing which is what Im looking for. Then I read your Lake Placid Ironman report and laughed out loud and decided what the hell, I'll join the group.

I have been doing triathlons for 5 years now and have mainly used races as a reason to keep on working out, and hopefully loose weight. Like the guy above me, I work in medicine as a Physician Assistant and often life and career (and food and wine) gets in the way of training but I try to be consistent. My big goal for this year is to finish an Olympic Distance Race, something I have never tryed before. I have done umpteen sprints tri's and finish always middle of the pack for my age group which is pretty surprising since I am definitely overweight and could race in the "Athena" category. Swimming is my strength and running is my weakness. Im a decent cyclist but dont really like it for some reason. I just did my first half-marathon in SF (the Nike Womens) and my 3rd Hood to Coast Running Relay so I know I have endurance, I just have no fast-twitch muscle fibers to speak of.

I hope to be good at tracking my training, writing on the forum, etc but I hope you all understand if there are some weeks its just not doable.

Well, you get immediate extra credit for laughing at my jokes.

Great job at picking the June olympic distance race. You have the experience, and obviously the stamina. I'm looking forward to hearing your post-race thoughts on it.

A race a month sounds like a good goal. I try to do the same, with some months better than others. It just seems that a race on the horizon, even if it's what I call a practice race, keeps me motivated. And you're right about the entry fees, especially for the bigger events. A race a month should keep your budget intact.

I'm impressed with your SF 1/2 marathon and don't see why you can't do another in October, as long as you listen to your body and don't push it. Remember that "no pain, no gain" ad campaign from Soloflex in the mid-80s? No? It's okay, you can say you don't even if you do, there's no requirement that you age yourself. Anyway, it's one thing to push your body in a good way, and another to push it to injury. As long as you listen to your body, I think you can handle it. Just don't run hurt. Period.

How'd you like the 13.1 mile distance, by the way? And in SF? Talk about hills! I ran a half with my youngest sister last year, her first too, and after she got past the "I think I'm going to die" phase, she loved it.

I like your exercise schedule, and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts of the Bernhardt plans. I've read some articles she's written, and she obviously has past success on her side. Keep us all posted of what you like/dislike.

Last thoughts -- I'd buy a trainer for the bike. There will be days you need to ride, and doing it on a trainer watching Grey's Anatomy is better than skipping the ride altogether.

And from the do as I say, not as I do school -- you should do some strength training. I don't and I should because: (1) I'd look better, (2) muscles always look good (did I just repeat #1?), and (3) it's proven that 2-3 days of 30 minutes will make a tremendous difference in your training.

Let's make a deal: I'll do it if you will. Shall we both try to lift 2x by Sunday? Nothing too strenuous, no lifting competitions or anything, and no bragging about who does the most reps. Just get to the gym and do it. Are you in?

2007-01-08 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
I'm very impressed with our group so far! Welcome to the college student--I'm in Wisconsin, too, but in a tiny town near LaCrosse in Amish country. Everyone seems to have such ambition! You all don't sound like beginners to me! But this is cool, as it feels like we have a nice little support group started. Someone told me that when you initiate any change in your life, it's important to remember that at first you'll have LOTS of enthusiasm and then in time, you'll start to experience doubts, or stuff will get in the way to distract you from your goals and you'll be tempted to give up. That's why you MUST not do "change" on your own--you need a support group or trusty friend to haul your butt off the couch and make you keep going! I have some questions about swimming, which is not my strong point. It looks like it's allowed to use the snorkle thingy, fins and a floaty board (I don't know the proper terminology) and I can see how these would help, but it almost seems like cheating. Do all tri's allow this equipment, or is it just to help you train? I'll be the one to ask ALL the really stupid questions! I did look up temps in my area in June, and it should be upper 60's to lower 70's. That doesn't sound too bad to me. I'm more serious about this than one would think and do plan to make this a long term committment, so I'm gonna buy some stuff. I'm a music junkie and NEED it to exercise! I can literally use the beat to jump-start myself when I'm getting tired, almost like borrowing someone else's willpower. I received an Ipod for Christmas and that will really help with the bike and running. But, there's this sweet Swimp3 thing that uses bone conduction so you can listen to music under water and I think I have to have it! I'm gonna join the YMCA because they have free childcare and swim lessons/activities for kids with a family membership, plus Nautilus and weight equipment and a fitness instructor to help with that. It won't totally break me financially, and the kids will like it, I'm sure! I know a fellow that used to coach swimming and will probably really pick his brain for technique, but would welcome any and all help with this from you guys!
2007-01-08 11:05 PM
in reply to: #647040

User image

Great feedback so far- I will commit to a strength training session this week, but I am going to have to say it will probably only be one official gym one. I am leaving on Friday for a ski trip to Whistler and wont be back till Monday. However, I could try for one on Wed and one before I leave on Friday. But I will go to yoga for sure too. I'll let you know how it goes. I think 2 days of skiing in a row should count for something! Of course, there is likely to be lots of indulgent food and wine at night though so I might have actually end up doing extra workouts! I have found that if I bring my running shoes on vacation, I almost have to make at least one attempt at a run no matter how short it is.
To answer your question about the 13.1 miles- it wasnt supposed to be that hilly and I even looked at the altitude chart and did some hills in my training although it was clear during the race that it wasn't enough. I had prepared perfectly, followed my training schedule to almost a T. I felt great until the the 1 mile long hill at mile 6, and then it wasnt so great after that. The memory of the painful times were quickly erased by the Tiffanys necklace that all finishers received at the finish line though! My time was about 15 min longer than my goal, but I let go of that after I remembered it was my first half ever so any time was a good time- (For those of you who havent raced yet, remember this for your first race) I think thats the hardest part sometimes, rolling with the unexpected of races and realizing that you can't always make that goal time.
Im guess I have to bite the bullet and get a trainer. I have been feeling guilty because I bought a slightly used fancy ( for me) Cervelo bike last year but I might as well buy the trainer now so I can use it. Oh, to Phoenix: Rent a wetsuit before you buy one for sure; I think you can even do it online now and it really helps to feel the different styles, etc. Also, I think a little investment in nice equipment up front does help to motivate if you have the money to spare. BUt, I know plenty of people who did fine with the bare minimum. Just make sure you have some good goggles. If swimming is difficult, its even more difficult if you cant see.

oh- time to head for bed.
2007-01-09 4:36 AM
in reply to: #647260

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-01-09 12:05 AM

I think thats the hardest part sometimes, rolling with the unexpected of races and realizing that you can't always make that goal time.

I am definitely in awe of the Cervelo riding girl going on the weekend ski trip who's wearing the Tiffany necklace she earned from her 1/2 marathon. And you are so right about goal times. But isn't it a great feeling when you're just cooking on the course and you beat your goal?

2007-01-09 5:09 AM
in reply to: #647076

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-08 8:46 PM

But, there's this sweet Swimp3 thing that uses bone conduction so you can listen to music under water and I think I have to have it! I'm gonna join the YMCA because they have free childcare and swim lessons/activities for kids with a family membership, plus Nautilus and weight equipment and a fitness instructor to help with that. It won't totally break me financially, and the kids will like it, I'm sure! I know a fellow that used to coach swimming and will probably really pick his brain for technique, but would welcome any and all help with this from you guys!

Don't worry about asking questions. You'd be surprised how many people don't know the answers, even to the allegedly stupid ones. I remember being at a race, and asking where the start was, and it seemed to dawn on a lot of people that while they were milling around in a spot they weren't exactly sure where they were either. Turns out we were about 1/4 mile AHEAD of the line, so we all had to move back before it could start. So stupid questions are always welcome!

I've seen the Swimp3 in catalogs, and even read some reviews. Seems like its a mixed bag: some people loved it, others said it didn't work as they'd expected. But that was a few years ago. I'd do some research before buying. I know, I sound like I'm cheap. Besides, when I'm in the water, the sound of me breathing with the occasional huff/puff/cough/gag is enough. And the extra straps on my head would just be something else to get all tangled up in.

The Y is a great idea, and the membership would motivate you, especially if your kids like it and ask to go often. Even if you only get a quick 20 minute work-out done, it is still time better spent than sitting on the couch eating cheese puffs. And you won't have that orange stuff stuck under your fingernails. Or am I the only person who's ever had that happen?

Good idea on the fitness instructor and the swim coach friend. Anyone can tell you how to swim, but only someone who's really good can help you swim better.

Oh, by the way, no snorkly things, fins, and floaty boards allowed in an open water triathlon. And usually not allowed in pool races, either. Although you are usually allowed to walk in the pool, and I've seen many races where non-swimmers did walk the whole swim portion. But back to your question: is it cheating? I think the first 2 definitely are. If I swam next to you, and I was wheezing along with my bad kick and miserable breathing and swallowing pool water with every gasp of air but finished my race, and then jumped out and saw you take off your fins and snorkel, I'd be pissed off. But here's the caveat: if I knew the equipment was allowed, and chose not to use it, then I'd just be angry at myself for not using it. How's that for an educational answer that doesn't answer your question? In other words, it's up to you if it's cheating. You have enough time before your race -- 8 weeks I think -- and it's only 8 laps, so I'd work on just swimming it and go on your way. You're going to have to get your stroke in line if you're going to do your open water swim this summer, anyway.

(You did ask about using this stuff in a race, right? If you meant in training, then no, it's not cheating, and I use a kick board and pull buoys, too.)

Keep us posted on what you bring home from your equipment shopping trips. I love to hear about new toys.

2007-01-09 5:22 AM
in reply to: #646325

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jmtrevejo - 2007-01-08 1:33 PM

Well just from looking at your trianing logs I see that if I had just an ounce of your organization skills I could do all of these things much more efficiently.

• Thanks for the compliment. I'm not a true yoga master, but I can definitely feel a difference in my body after a session. And it's something I can do with my wife.

Let us know how you like your HRM. I have one that I wear on occasion. The watch is great. If you pay attention to your heart rate, it will definitely slow your pace. I'm curious to know if you see a difference in your running and feelings of exertion after you've used it for 2 months.

Let us know what race you're planning so we can cheer you on. You have picked one, right? If not, schedule one. The point of this forum is to exchange ideas and share stories, which means we all have to get busy.

2007-01-09 5:28 AM
    in reply to: #646992

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    jmtrevejo - 2007-01-08 7:14 PM

I defer to the professor but I will say that I have never felt better than after training and running last year even for the sprint. I had never really swam before but swimming has changed my life as I love the low impact and it pumps your upper body up. One thing I would recommend is to really try and take your time with the swim to get good form. I would take a class.

I completely agree. And most Ys have private one-on-one classes for adults, taught by college swimmers or coaches. If you are not a strong swimmer, simple lessons/training in your form will make a huge difference, not only in your speed, but in your exertion. You won't waste all your energy spazzing around in the water but will just swim cleanly and smoothly. Save the spazzing for the bike!
    2007-01-09 5:53 AM
    in reply to: #646509

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    jeng615 - 2007-01-08 3:04 PM

Hello! I'm totally new to all of this and unfortunately, not an MD like the majority. I'm actually a college student in Wisconsin (which may end up limiting my training time depending on the point in the semester). I guess I'm just looking for a little guidance. I don't know where to start, where to sign up, etc etc. Overall, I just need to get back into shape and I'm thinking with a routine and schedule, I'll be able to attain that goal. Unfortunately, being a college student and from Wisconsin, I love my beer! haha. I don't know how willing I will be to sacrifice going out every week, but I will do whatever is necessary. I used to have a slight eating disorder and I'm far more willing to turn to something more productive like this than go back to those days. I've never done a race before and my endurance is shot. For now, I'm guessing I should just start at a basic sprint. I guess that would be a good start? So, I'm heading to the gym in a little while. I'm not going to start a training schedule until I get a little more advice, but overall, is this a good choice for weight loss and getting into shape?

Hello there! Hmm, let's see, a college student who likes beer? Never heard of that before. So tell me again why you have to sacrifice going out every week. Aren't keg parties -- uh, wait a minute --- social interaction evenings -- a good way to carb load?

So let's answer your questions. I work out so I can eat. And you can tell by looking at my logs that I did not do enough exercise from Halloween to Xmas to keep that balance in check! But is this more productive that starvation? Sure it is. And I think it takes much less willpower. Plus you get to do something that many people can't imagine doing themselves. You'll be a triathlete, kid, and entitled to all of the associated bragging rights! For example:

You to friend: So, what'd you do Sunday morning?

Friend: Nothing much, just was hungover, slept in, played Xbox, ate a cheesesteak and took a nap. Felt like crap all day. You?

You: Oh, nothing much, the usual. Did this triathlon thing.

Friend: You mean that swim/bike/run thing that super cool, beautiful, fit people do?

You: Yeah, that'd be it.

Friend: Wow, I knew you were super cool, beautiful and fit, but now you just so rock!

See what I mean? And that happens every time! (Well, it does in my head, at least.)

I don't think you need a training schedule on day 1 of this experience. Just go for a run. And if its easier, aim for a run/walk, where you alternate, maybe a minute run to a minute walk, back and forth for 20 minutes. See how your body feels. And then 2 days from now, do it again. Do some push-ups, or take an aerobics class. Ride a bike. Jump in the pool for 20 minutes. For the next 2 weeks, just get your body moving. Now is the best time to start, by the way, since your semester just started too, and you're not weighed down by mid-terms looming over your head. By October, this should all be routine and you'll actually miss working out on those days when you're just too jammed to do it.

By the way, here's the weirdest part, and maybe the most enticing for you -- studies show that most students do better on exams after a period of physical activity. Don't ask me to explain why. (Maybe our medical colleagues can chime in on this one.) But how's that for a fringe benefit?

Ok, you have your homework assignment. Tell me tomorrow what you did today!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72