Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-08 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: hblackmon's Group - FULL!

NAME: hblackmon/Heather (27)

STORY: I grew up dancing, starting at the age of 2 and continuing through college. I never really played sports, as dancing took up so much time and it kept me in great shape. After I graduated college in 2001, I really didn’t do anything athletic (maybe intermittent weights) as I adjusted to full-time work. After about a year, I started to go to the gym regularly, taking exercise classes, and tried exercise videos. I found it hard to stay motivated though. In January 2003, I decided a goal would help me with my motivation, so I started running (using the Couch-to-5K training program). Once I got close to the distance, I registered for a 5K and (slowly) completed it – running the whole way! I then registered for the Peachtree 10K and completed that one too. I decided it would be cool to run a marathon, so I signed up for the Disney Marathon and completed that in January 2004 (with the flu – so very slowly). I joined a running group in 2004 and ran the Chicago marathon in October. After the race, I was NOT in the mood to run and started talking to people about what else I could do. I had some friends who did triathlons, so after a break I decided I would train for a sprint. I completed 2 sprints in 2005 and was hooked. In 2006, I completed 3 Olympics and 2 Sprints and several running races. I’m certainly not the fastest competitor, but I love triathlons! It helps me to stay motivated, healthy, and has lead to many friendships!

FAMILY STATUS: I have been happily married to Kirk for over 5 years (August). We also have an awesome dog, Abbott.

CURRENT TRAINING: I’m just started my 2007 training, after a 3 week break at the end of 2006. I have a coach who plans my training in 4 week blocks and keeps me on track. I am training to get faster at Olympics and finish the season with my first half ironman.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Polar Bear 5K, St Anthony's (O), Fest of Flowers (O), Cedars of Lebanon (S), Tri-PTC (S), Kiawah Island (O), Kiawah Island Marathon

2007 RACES:  JAN 27: Polar Bear 5K, FEB 10:  Chattahoochee 10K, MAR 25: ING Georgia HM, APR 29: St. Anthony's (O), JUN 10: Fest of Flowers (O), JUL 15: Chattanooga (O), AUG 18: Georgia Vet's (S), SEP 30: South Carolina (HIM), DEC: Kiawah HM

WEIGHTLOSS: I’m not a “weight” person – I very rarely weigh myself. The important thing to me is how my clothes fit (since muscle weighs more than fat, I don’t think weight is a great indicator - although I know it helps some people) and how I look in the mirror. I know I have put on a few bad pounds over the last few months, so my goal for the next few months is to slim back down (so my clothes are fitting nicely again).

Edited by hblackmon 2007-01-17 3:25 PM

2007-01-10 2:26 PM
in reply to: #646360

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - OPEN
2007-01-11 6:41 PM

I am a 42 year old grandmother with a history of compulsive behavior, including nearly 30 years of smoking and a short stint of bodybuilding in college. I put the pack down 3 years ago and quickly gained 25 lbs. so I started running, if you could call it that, but trudged through until it got cold up to 5 miles on flat ground at a snail's pace. July 2006 decided to try swimming since I had not picked running back up. My greatest swimming victory up until then had been to swim the legnth of the pool in the 3rd grade so that I could plug my nose and jump off the diving board. I am now swimming 1000 meters 6 days a week. I am a big slow walrus but it makes me feel good. Last summer I also bought a mountain bike and started riding. My longest ride was 20 miles and again big and slow. That's me: big and slow but am so excited to have a goal and to start feeling my lungs come back to life and seeing the shape of me under all of the bubble wrap that I have been wearing.

I am completely ignorant to the sport including how to use this web site and set up my training log. I know nothing about equipment and have had no formal coaching or training in any of the three disciplines.

Help
2007-01-12 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Welcome Danielle!! I'm so glad you joined my group!

It sounds like you have a great start for triathlon training - definately better than me when I started! Congratulations on quitting smoking and starting an active lifestyle, that's something that your kids and grandkids will certainly appreciate. Believe me, it's not all about speed, since many of us are competing against ourselves in this sport! It's fun to improve yourself and you will get faster naturally the more you train anyway!

The training logs on this site are invaluable, in my opinion. They allow you to track your progress and allows others to inspire you on your progres, as well. Here's the link to instructions on using the training logs - they are pretty easy once you get started: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=122

So, what are your goals for this year? Have you picked out a race you would like to participate in yet?

2007-01-12 7:59 PM
in reply to: #651911

My goals? Good question. I have a fuzzy idea about what I want out of this:

1) I want to live the second half of my life productive, active, content and relatively pain free.

2) I want to maintain a body which is healthy, strong, and attractive.

3) I want to approach health and fitness with balance and good sense, not fenaticism and deprivation.

4) I want a physical challenge that is tough but not impossible.

5) I want to build physical, emotional and spiritual strength.

6) I want to feel empowered.

7) I want to cross finish lines, proud of my accomplishment and excited to get to the next race.

8) I want to get my Christmas decorations put away by Easter.

I'll work on measurable goals.

Races:

The longest race I am looking at is the "Black Squirrel Triathlon" here in my home town at the end of August. The race date for 2007 has not been posted but it is an annual event and last year it was Aug. 26. Black Squirrel is 1000 meters open water swim, 21 mile bike and 6.1 mile run. This seems huge to me but it is my first year goal.

In preparation for this event I have chosen three shorter progressively more difficult events.

1) UNO TryAthlon, Omaha, NE April 29, 2007. 200 yard pool swim, 3.3 mile bike, 1.2 mile run. These are tiny distances and I am not looking at this as a great challenge to my stamina, but I do see it as an opportunity to get aquainted with transitioning, equipment, rules, etc. with out pressure. This is a non-competetive event designed to just get people out and active.

2) Norfolk Family YMCA Triathlon, Norfolk, NE June 9, 2007. 500 yard pool swim, 10 mile bike, 2.5 mile run.

3) Mayor's Triathlon, Papillion, NE July 28, 2007. 800 meter open water swim, 15 mile bike, 3 mile run

4) Black Squirrel Triathlon, Council Bluffs, IA August 25, 2007. 1000 meter open water swim, 21 mile bike, 6.1 mile run.

I live in Council Bluffs, IA which is just over the river from Omaha, NE. I lived in Augusa, GA in 1989-1990. You have nicer training weather than we have here. Biking and running are a challenge. I do not belong to a gym or use a fitness facility other than to swim at my husband's request. I am looking for a used stationary bike to buy and My sister has a treadmill that I can use any time that I get serious enough to go over there and use it. Meanwhile I get outside any day that it is over 40. I use videos at home for aerobic conditioning and stregnth building.

I will look at the training log link when I get a chance this weekend. I am seriously impaired when it comes to computers. I do not know much more than how to e-mail.

Thanks so much for getting right back to me and getting me to consider my goals.

I'll get back to you with those

D
2007-01-13 2:56 PM

User image

New user
Hi - Can I play too?

I am 39 - mother of a 5 1/2 year old and work full-time. I have completed 7 marathons, the most recent - Disney last year. My PR is 4:57. I did one tri in 2005 - one of the Reebok Women's series in Naperville, IL. I did okay - but know I have a lot to learn and I need to find a way to balance distance running training with the bike and swim. For goals I would like to do 2-3 tris this summer (the Women's one again in Naperville, Lifetime in MN and one TBD) and I plan on doing Chicago and New York this fall, as well as some shorter races. I really want to get my PR down and would eventually like to BQ. I need to lose about 35 pounds and am currently on a schedule of run 4-days a week, weight train 3 days and for the last two weeks I have managed to bike twice a week (bike on a trainer and 1 spin class).

I was on these forums about a year and a half ago and think the mentor idea is great!

Lisa

2007-01-13 5:15 PM
in reply to: #653136

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Danielle - those are some great goals - I especially like your Christmas decorations goal!

The Black Squirrel Triathlon sounds like it's *almost* an Olympic - that's a great goal for the end of your first year! It looks like you have a great schedule of progressively longer tris to get you there, too. Have you found a good training schedule to get you started? If not, check out the training schedules that are available on this site - I used them for my first year and a half and they are great!

Do you already have a bike to work with?

I'll be looking for you to get started with the training log - that's the easiest way for us to track each other's training goal progress!

2007-01-13 5:18 PM
in reply to: #653587

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Welcome to the group Lisa! You've got me beat on your marathon PR - my last one was 5:06 - maybe you can give me pointers there! Learning to balance all the sports can be tricky, but I also think that the other sports HELP your running. Runnersworld.com offers marathon training programs with 3 day schedules, so you could mix in the bike and swim fairly easily (it's smartcoach on the home page).

Glad you have come back to the forums and hopefully we'll be able to motivate each other.

2007-01-13 6:12 PM
in reply to: #653683

My bike is a Walmart Variety Mongoose mountain bike. It is comfortable, 21 speed with seriously knobby tires. I bought it from a friend after borrowing it for a week long trial ride. It is slow on the road, awsome on the trail and the decision to purchase it was made because when I pulled the old helmet out of the garage rafters that I had borrowed to ride with my grandson it was a perfect three color match to the bike. I know that it is not the best bike for triathlon but I am going to make due for my first year. I have looked into a trainer for it which is managable for me cost wise, but with the heavy tread, I would need to get an alternate rear wheel set up and changing it back and forth for the trainer and the road seems like a major pain and an additional cost that I prefer not to endure.

I bought a bike computer for it and froze it to death the first time I forgot to remove it from the bike so for now I will forgo any serious technology purchases.

I have been looking at the training schedules available on this site and also one described in Joe Friel's "Your First Triathlon". There is a 20 week train to sprint program offered to bronze members but I can't seem to figure out how to become one of those so far. I like the detail offered in my book but haven't got enough feel for the program to know if I can put in a custom program. I'll try to figure it out but it is like looking at tax forms to me. I don't know the computer or sport terminology so figuring out what to do will take me a little time.
2007-01-13 6:18 PM
in reply to: #653587

Hi Lisa, welcome aboard. "Wow" to your marathon running. Congratulations. I have always considered that to be the ultimate unreachable acheivment. I used to say "I wouldn't run from a mean dog." yet over and over I read about everyday people doing it. I was so impressed when Oprah ran a marathon. I thought that with all of the health and weight issues that woman has had, if she can do it anyone can. That was the first time I ever considered the possibility of running myself, but it took 25 extra pounds to get my sneakers on but running remains my weakest link.
2007-01-14 1:11 PM

User image

New user
Thanks - I am glad to be here. Danielle, I never thought I could run a marathon either - but once you do one - it is rather addicitve. And I am by no means fast - but I have met some great friends through the sport.

I am really looking forward to working together on getting to our goals.

2007-01-14 2:45 PM
in reply to: #654088

Wear do you live, Lisa. I gather from your race history, you are somewhere north of me. I lived a couple of years in Stevens Point, WI. How do you manage outdoor training in the winter? I am pretty much just putting in swim time and some conditioning but I know I have to get out soon to make April race goals.
2007-01-14 4:26 PM

User image

New user
I live in Darien, IL - about 25 miles southwest of chicago. I have a treadmill that helps with the winter runs, as well as access to the Y and another gym for my swims (when ever I start getting them in). I was actually in your neck of the woods on Thursday - I flew into Omaha to drive out to Norfolk for a meeting with Affiliated Foods. I get to that area every once in a while for work. I have a running friend in Omaha that helps organize the Omaha marathon too.
2007-01-15 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

So what are your training goals for this week? Mine are:

1. No more than 1 missed training session
  2. 60oz of water per day (while at work)

Having measurable goals helps to keep you on track throughout the week, so I think sharing these might help us keep each other accountable!

2007-01-15 12:24 PM

User image

New user
1) Get at least one swim in
2) 3 weight sessions
3) 4 runs
4) 2 bikes
5) Don't stress about food at dinner with friends Saturday night
2007-01-15 5:58 PM
in reply to: #654740

1) figure out logging.
2) work at obtaining equipment
Stationary bike
Treadmill
Ball for core workout
Good running shoes
3) No missed workouts this week (modified for available equipment)
4) Water before Coffee

2007-01-15 6:57 PM

User image

Regular
Studio City
Hi Heather,
Can I join in on your mentor group? I really need to be inspired to get myself trained for the New Jersey State Tri in July - Oly distance (may drop down to Sprint). My first tri was the 2006 Danskin, and I was hooked. My time wasn't great, but I only had 2-3 months to train for it. I just had a baby a year prior to that and still had to lose the baby fat. Since then I am down one size, but need to lose more weight and tone. I love this sport and really want to do my best this July. I also intend to complete the Bike for Hunger Ride (200 mi bike ride) in September. So, as you can see I really need to be motivated. I USED to be in such great shape 2 years ago and I worked my butt off to get there. Now I feel like I am back to square one. It's been hard with a baby - not sleeping, etc., but my family is the best and have supported me 100%. I am hoping that if I join your group that it will motivate me to get up in the morning and work out. Swimming and running are my weakest sports;running especially because of my bad knees. I just need to get up and do it. Anyway, my goal is to do my best in July whether it's the sprint or olympic distance.

Thanks!
Toni
2007-01-15 9:22 PM
in reply to: #655627

Hi Tony - Congratulations on your baby and ambition. The 200 mile bike ride sounds interesting. The north trailhead for the Wabash Trace nature trail is here in Council Bluffs. It is 62 miles of old rail line converted to crushed limestone nature trail. A friend and I have been talking about riding it round trip this summer. We have a fabulous network of bike/walk trails here and Council Bluffs and Omaha have been granted rights for the only bike/pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River. I am really looking forward to spring and getting back outdoors. It is -3 degrees right now .
2007-01-16 1:57 PM
in reply to: #655627

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Welcome Toni!!! Glad you decided to join our group! Congratulations on getting back into exercise so quickly after having a baby - that's excellent! It sounds like you have a great support group, which I find crutial for triathlons. We'll be your virtual support group - checking in to make sure you log those workouts!

You mentioned bad knees for running - have you been fitted for running shoes? If not, that can really help to ensure that you are running in shoes that fit your foot correctly. Swimming is a weakness for me too (although my husband was a year-round swimmer in high school, so I have some free help), but it's such a short part of the triathlon.

I would suggest that you work on setting up your training log, so we can inspire each other there - it's great for accountability.

2007-01-16 2:33 PM
in reply to: #655785

User image

Regular
Studio City
Hi Danielle-Wow, it sounds like you live in a great area to train in, but the -3 degrees is a bit too much for me! I thought NJ got cold! Good luck training, and thanks for the support. You have motivated me already!

2007-01-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #656622

User image

Regular
Studio City
Hi Heather - I have been fitted for running shoes, so I have noticed a difference. I find that running on the treadmill sometimes hurts more than running on concrete. So strange!
I've set up my training log, and will make sure to log in everything I do.

It would be great to find people to train with that have the same goals. So, if there is anyone in your group that lives in Central NJ maybe we can form a training group or something.

Thanks again for the support!

2007-01-16 6:29 PM

User image

New user
Hi Tony - 200 miles huh? I tried to do a century a couple of years ago and only made it to about 44 miles. My rear just could not take the saddle that long.

Congratulation on the baby and getting back into shape. My daughter is 5 1/2 and I think I still have baby weight on my hips.
2007-01-16 9:38 PM

User image

New user

Hi there!

My name is Emily and I am pretty much brand new to triathlon. I'm a 27-year-old veterinary student at the Ontario Veterinary College in Guelph, ON, Canada, and I've recently started training for my first tri (despite a crazy school schedule!). My reasons for taking up this sport are many: initially, I was looking for something active to do that would help prevent "book butt" which is basically what happens to students who spend too much time studying (as you can imagine). I've been overweight my whole life and I need to keep active in order to even stay near to a healthy body shape and weight. For the past 8 years or so, I've tried all kinds of activities (working out at the gym, cycling, hiking, running, etc.) and have consistently lost motivation with all of them because I never see the results I'm looking for. Of course, that's probably because I never stick with it long enough, but I'm hoping you can help me with that this time! I thought that choosing an event with a set date and tracking my progress through the online training log here would help me keep on track, and I know that being a part of a supportive group like this would really help. Also, I'm getting married in July and I really, really, REALLY want to be fit and healthy for my wedding.

Right now, I'm following a 16-week training program for a sprint involving biking, swimming, and running 2x a week, and I am watching my diet closely. I have a personal trainer at my gym who I've been working with on and off for about a year, and I'll be starting strength training again next week. I'm feeling motivated and excited about this, and I'm already noticing improvements in all 3 sports. I just need to keep up this energy!

Anyway, I guess my point is that I would love to join your group if possible - I know that I need all the support I can get!

Thanks,
Emily
2007-01-16 11:43 PM

Illinois
Hi all, I have enjoyed reading your posts so far and would like to be accepted to join this group of Mentoring Tri's. I have had so many thoughts about this group after reading through the posts.
My name is Jesika and I am 30 (wow hard to type that, where is the youth?). I have three kids, ages 11, 4, and Sophia is my angel. Why be a triathlete? Well last year my youngest daughter, Sophia, was diagnosed with a brain tumor (inoperable/incurable) and died just fourteen days after diagnosis. In my time of loss, I found my goals, to set a pace that my children who were living could be proud of me for. I found a gym, a swim, and a personal trainer. I have recently begun logging calories and am looking forward to the one year anniversary of her death with a new body, a renewed mind, and a spirit of contentment, it is the only way to keep sane and go on.
My current schedule is:
Monday, group power, 5:30 a.m. Usually I will hit the gym in the afternoon for some cardio.
Tuesday, personal trainer, heavy weights, single reps, cut and curve.
Wednesday, group pwer, 5:30 a.m. Swim coach in the evening for breathing and speed turn techniques.
Thursday, eat your heart out aerobic, go until I can't go any more. Usually 20 miles bike and 30-40 arc trainer (if you haven't used this piece of cardio equipment, find it, the thing is great, super charged elliptical).
Friday, personal trainer, heavy weights, single reps, cut and curve.
Saturday, aerobic, swim/bike
Sunday, the Lord's day, usually just playful stuff with the kids at the gym.

My husband and I will be competing for the first thing this season with the vertical mile, it is the hustle up the hancock building in Chicago, we live an hour and a half south of Chicago and can't wait for this event. It is a stair climb, we are doing the half hike, or 52 flights. Sound fun? Too bad this year, the event filled up in about nineteen minutes flat. It is on Feb 25th. From there, we want to register for an event in March around the 16th in Orlando. Registration is open for a MyFirstTri, which is a mini sprint, almost a sprint but not quite. We from there would like to stay with our long bike rides (32-50 miles), a few random 5K's that we did last year, and then of course additionally about two sprint and maybe the Chicago in the fall.

All directions are given on here except how we log, if you could check and see if I am doing it correctly Heather, I would appreciate it.

Looking forward to being accepted into the group,
Blessings,
jesika
2007-01-17 11:19 AM
in reply to: #657022

User image

Regular
Studio City
Hi Lisa - yep 200 miles..i hope i can make it. this will be my first road bike trip. i have a lot of training to do this spring and summer. i'm wondering about how my bum will feel too!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 5