BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-17 12:23 PM
in reply to: #657777

Illinois
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - OPEN
Good seats are expensive, but worth it. We completed a four day two hundred mile ride last summer, it was horrid on the bum and parts, you must buy a divided or split seat. They help take pressure off the parts. Also, it helps when the parts fall asleep. Lady parts do fall asleep after about an hour on the ride, then when you have three or four hours to come, they just continue in numb-land. A good seat decreases bruising and swelling, both of which come with long rides.

Hope this helps.
Also, a must is a wonderful MP3 player with long play, like two hundred songs.

2007-01-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: #646360

I am a 24 y/o with a background in mid-distance running, swimming, surfing, snowboarding, and tennis. Recently, my gym membership has gotten ignored and I'm needing some motivation to get going again. I got fitted for some new running shoes and would like to run a 5k by May 2007 and possibly a half marathon by Fall 2007. I easily get bored with the same routine and need to stimulate some sort of excitement. I also want to try to eat healthier because I know that's half the culprit in my routine!
2007-01-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: #657181

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Welcome to the group, Emily!! Are you studying to be a large or small animal vet? 

I absolutely understand losing motivation for working out - I have to have a goal race to keep myself going. That's my favorite thing about running and triathlons - there are so many races to choose from! I have an office job, so sitting on my butt can be a problem for me too(especially with all the treats people bring to the office).

I'll be checking your training logs, which will hopefully help motivate you to stick to your workout plan (I know it helps me!).

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, too!

2007-01-17 3:20 PM
in reply to: #657249

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Hey Jesika (love the spelling!) - welcome to the group! I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your child, but you sound like you have a great attitude! Sometimes it's hard to see the purpose in things, but I know that God has a plan in everything!

A vertical mile - WOW - I can't even imagine. I hate hills (yes, they are great exercise) - so that sounds miserable to me - but what a COOL accomplishment! Sounds like you have the makings of a great tri schedule for your first year - you're going to do great! I'll check out your logs today - I'm sure you're doing a great job - there's not really a "right" way, as long as it makes sense to you!

2007-01-17 3:24 PM
in reply to: #658284

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Hi Jennifer! Yea - a fellow snowboarder (although, you're probably much better than me!)!!

Boredom and Motivation are the main reasons I started tris, so you're in the right place. I started running, because it was easier to motivate myself once I had paid for a registration fee - then I started tris, because running starts to get repetitive and I could mix up my routine with biking and swimming. 

I'm not sure if you already found a running plan to prepare for your 5K, but I used the couch-to-5K program from coolrunning.com - it worked fabulously!

2007-01-17 3:28 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - FULL!

Sorry I was kind of MIA for a couple of days - the time got away from me. I think we have a great "support group" here - I hope everyone agrees!

One thing that will help everyone stay motivated is logging your workouts. It's a pretty easy tool, so give it a try. You can put as little or as much information as you want for each day. In the training settings section, you can add friends to your log - make sure you put the members of the group in there. This will put a link to their log on the bottom-left of your log - which makes it easy to check in on everyone and post a note!

If you have any specific questions - feel free to ask those too - I want to make this as helpful a group for your training goals as possible. I'm certainly not a coach, but I've picked up some good information along the way!

2007-01-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: #657181

Hi-Emily, I am also new to tri. I ran track in Junior High but sprints only, distance training was a chance to get off campus and smoke. I learned to swim in elementary school, enough to get to play in the deep end and I my longest bike ride prior was about 3 miles with my toddler daughter on the back. I am blessed to have a high lean body mass and good health. I wish it hadn't taken me 40 years to get serious about taking care of what I have been given. Congratulations to you for jumping right in. I am happy you have joined in with our little group and good luck.

Danielle
2007-01-17 8:10 PM
in reply to: #657249

Hi-Jesika, I'm so glad you have joined us. Your schedule and your race plans are intense. You make me look like Stan the Sloth. Your faith and your family devotion inspire me even more than your ambition. I am so sorry for your loss. I look forward to your help and encouragement.

Danielle
2007-01-17 8:24 PM

Hi Jennifer, I have already found a ton of motivtion here. You're in the right place. I also struggle with healthy eating but more than that I fight compulsive behavior. It's all or nothing for me: twigs or twinkies. I am working really hard at balance. More vegetables than chips, more fruit than cookies. Smaller portions of meat, and ice cream only when I really need it. Good luck with all of your efforts. Keep us posted.

Danielle
2007-01-17 8:43 PM
in reply to: #658684

Illinois
Danielle,
Thanks for the encouragement. Our family has had a very interesting year. Right now I have just returned from the meet the trainer session with the gentleman who is going to train me for the swim portion. Okay my face feels like it has been sucked up like a prune! Ugh. However, my limbs barely move and my shoulders are sore!
I can't complain, I love to feel the pain. I am impressed that you have goals.
My Mom was 45 before she dropped the pizza, chocolate, and fatty ways. She did a book called Body 4 Life, by Bill Philips. It is a good weekend read and can provide lots of tips for people who are older and new. It isn't really for kids, but more for people whose primary portion of their life has been sedentary. I think you would find it helpful. Also, as I posted in a different room here, there is a great deal to cook with using his Eating for Life cookbook. It is my favorite as I can count on the fact he did the math. Most everything in there tastes good and is one portion carb/one portion protein and less than 25% fat. It is super way to cut calories. However, you actually do need to make the time to eat and cook your food. If you aren't a cook, look for the options.
As for the riding the WalMart bike, I recommend you get some good tires from a bike shop and a decent seat and you can use a WalMart bike for endless miles.
Hope you have a great day!
Jesika
2007-01-17 8:46 PM

Illinois
Subject: In Jenn welcome
Hiya,
Welcome to the crew. Have you found a gross difference by getting fitted for some shoes? I hope you have! Also, what was the cost? We do not live in a city that can get us fitted shoes but we are in Chicago once a month and we both ( my husband and I ) thought about getting a pair as an anniversary gift to one another next month. Let me know more about them and if you have a brand you recommend.

Jesika

2007-01-17 10:11 PM

User image

New user
Welcome Emily, Jesika and Jennifer. Looks like we have a great group with lots of different experiences and strengths to share.

Jesika, next time you are Downtown, head to Fleet Feet - there is one at Piper's Alley. They will take a look at your feet, have you run a little and try out lots of different shoes on your feet to find the right fit for you and your husband. The shoes will probalby run between $85 and $130 depending. I have also gone to Naperville Running Company and Running Fit in Arlington Heights - but Fleet Feet are really good at what they do. I highly recommend getting fitted - it will make a big difference in how your runs feel and how you recover when you have the right shoe for your running style.
2007-01-17 10:40 PM
in reply to: #658783

Illinois
Thanks for the updates on where and how. We did see an article about Fleet Feet (that is a tongue twister) in our chicago marathon brochure that I was given by a gentleman the day after the Marathon. We were both headed out to California and he had just run the event. It was nice to have the handy brochure as I was able to see many different hot spots in the Chicago area. However, it is always nice to have first hand advice. I will be up there both this week and next for flights out, but I am going to take my son to the museum of art on the 26th and could do the stop in then. Do I need an appt/Thanks again for the advice!
Jesika
2007-01-18 9:42 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to this forum thing so please bear with me!

I'm in San Diego, California and I got a pair of new running shoes at a store called Road Runner Sports. They fitted me for a pair of running shoes by scanning my feet and then jogging on a treadmill for a few minutes. My shoes are great! No more shin splints for me!

I'm going to be following the "Couch to 5k Aggressive 16 Week Program" + Swimming on my days off during the program. I like to surf, so I want to keep my paddling & swimming stamina up to par while running.

My goal is to run a 5k that includes a pretty steep bridge by May 2007. By the fall, I would like to do a half-marathon. ALSO...I need to keep to a healthy diet (possibly a 2000-2200 cal diet!)...eating healthy foods and such! I have a knack to indulge in the good stuff!

Thanks again for all your support!

- Jennifer
2007-01-18 11:13 AM
in reply to: #658286

User image

New user

Hello again, everyone!

Thanks so much for the welcome. I'm already feeling a lot better about my training just knowing that I'm not alone...it's amazing what a difference that makes. Besides, now I'm accountable to you guys as well as to myself, right?

In answer to your question, I haven't really decided if I'm going to do large or small animal medicine - there are things I like about both. Ultimately, though, I think I'll end up working with small animals, just because it tends to be more challenging and I need the diversity in order to keep interested. Right now I'm in my third year (of four) and I'm looking into specializing in surgery eventually - that's what I really love to do. Anyway, long story short it's all still up in the air and a lot of it depends on what kind of internship I can get.

Oh, and just a question about the training log - do I have to make it accessible to the group or can you already see it? I'm not really sure how it works yet. I am, however, enjoying seeing my efforts up on the screen like that...

Well, I look forward to all the support I know this group will give, and I wish you all the best in achieving your goals.

Emily
2007-01-18 11:31 AM
in reply to: #658664

User image

New user

Hi Danielle,
Thanks for sharing your own experiences - it sounds like your strongest background is in running. Is that true? As for me, I never ran in my life until about 3 years ago when my boyfriend broke up with me and I needed somewhere to redirect all that negative energy. It was very tough in the beginning, but I've found that even though I'll never be a fast runner, I really enjoy the rush that comes with a good run. I've been plagued with injuries a bit over the past few months (knee/ankle), but I've gotten some help and I'm working through it. My background in swimming is probably strongest - as a child I quickly finished everything up to the highest level of lessons available to me, so I started doing synchronized swimming just to keep me going until I was old enough for lifeguard training. After a couple of years of that, I ended up stopping swimming altogether and I've only come back to it recently. Needless to say, I have a long way to go! As for biking, my bicycle used to be my primary mode of transportation, but again I've kind of fallen off that wagon. In fact, I no longer own a bicycle and I'm looking to find a decent one for training and racing.

Good luck with your tri training - I'm glad you've decided to keep active and healthy...it's so important for everyone, regardless of body type!

Emily

2007-01-18 8:48 PM

User image

New user
Emily,

You can add people by clicking on the first icon under the Quick Links heading by the month calendar on the first page of your training log. It looks like a screen with a gasket by it. That will take you to the set-up page and there will be a "friend cloumn" to monitor blogs. Just add out log in names. They should then will be listed further down on your front log page.

Hope that helps!
2007-01-18 10:19 PM
in reply to: #660172

User image

New user

Thanks Lisa! I'll make sure you're all able to access my log.
2007-01-19 7:03 AM
in reply to: #659317

Emily - I'm not sure anything I've ever done equates to a background in any discipline but I guess I have run more than any other thing. Now I am by far strongest in swimming, though not for long. I started going to the pool with my neice in July. She used to swim a mile. It could do that pretty quickly but couldn't put together 2 full legnths without having to switch to my back or froggy looking breast something to keep going. My lungs were terrible and when I finished a mile, it all but took a crane to lift me out of the water. I had nothing left. That was the first time I even thought to wonder if there was some technique I was missing so I bought a book and set out to learn how to swim. I was instructed to stop swimming the distance and start doing drills, starting with just floating and working my way back to a freestyle stroke. This was frustrating and My fitness gains were slowed greatly for a while but at the end I came out swimming an easy 1000 meter freestyle with plenty of energy left for my day, infact more than I've ever had. Now I have a hard time missing a swim day.

Now I need to do the same thing with running and biking. Start from scratch and learn the technique then build back to some endurance. I have never even considered anything other than my stregnth for athletic performance. I truly am a baby to fitness.
2007-01-19 7:06 AM

Hi to all. I had a very busy day yesterday and only managed to train and log, but you'll all be proud to know that I have accomplished one huge goal. My Christmas decorations are now safely back in the basement and my home is now clear of all noisemaking, dancing, singing, drumming, flashing objects. The elves go a little crazy here around November.
2007-01-19 8:11 AM

User image

New user
Danielle - Congratulations!

2007-01-19 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Happy Friday everyone! It looks like almost everyone has figured out the training log - congrats to you all.

2007-01-19 8:02 PM

User image

New user
How do you put in a planned exercises on the training log? I want to make sure that I am staying on track. Thanks!
2007-01-20 2:41 PM

Happy Saturday to all. Last night I made an appointment to go look at a stationary bike at 5pm tonight. It is old style simple bike but sounds like it has what I need to get started for $50.00. My husband's boss just called me and said that her aunt just gave her a similar bike that she will pass on to me as she has no need for it for free. Can't beat that with a stick. It's raining stationary bikes
2007-01-20 2:50 PM
in reply to: #661771

Illinois
I would totally love to have a stationary bike at home, however, my kids spend two hours or so a day in gym childcare right now, couldn't think they would much approve of more time at home.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 5