Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-20 4:32 PM
in reply to: #661771

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - FULL!

To enter planned training into your log, I think you have to be a Bronze member - a very good investment! I enter my training on a monthly basis and it really does help to keep me on track. Your other option is to just write your planned training in the comments section each morning - that way anyone who reads your log knows what you're supposed to be doing.

Danielle - that's great news about the stationary bike - free is always the best price!

2007-01-20 9:28 PM
in reply to: #661841

Illinois
You had a question earlier in your workout inspire me and I wanted to follow up on it. I didn't however want to fill your spots that you couldn't use it.
Big Gear Repeats
On a flat course or indoor trainer pedal in a big gear, with a cadence of 50 – 60 rpm for 5 minutes. Your heart rate should stay in heart rate zones 1-3. That is well below lactate threshold. This workout is to stress your muscular system, not aerobic system. Start with repeats of 5 minutes and work gradually up to 20 minutes. Stay seated in the saddle with a quiet upper-body throughout the repeat.

Big Gear Hill Repeats
When you have built up to 20 minutes of big gear repeats on flat terrain you can do the same session on a hill to build additional strength. Remember to stay seated in the saddle with a quiet upper-body. Focus on leg strength.

Force Repeats
This workout is similar to lifting weights in the gym, but done on the bike. On a flat course or indoor trainer pedal in a gear that only allows you to reach 50 – 60 rpm. While remaining seated drive the pedals down as hard as possible for 15 – 20 revolutions of the cranks. Do 6 – 10 of these, starting a new one every 3 – 5 minutes. Between force repeats spin 85+ rpm easily with light pressure on the pedals.

90 Second Hills
On an indoor trainer with a high resistance setting pedal for 30 seconds at 70 – 80 rpm with your heart rate in zone 1-2, shift up one gear and maintain cadence for 30 seconds, shift up another gear and maintain cadence for another 30 seconds. Your heart rate will rise but should stay below lactate threshold in zones 3 – 4. Spin at 85+ rpm with light pressure on the pedals for 90 seconds recovery between each repeat. Do this 8 – 12 times.

I took that line from http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/bike/onthebike-strength-training-0... That is another triathalon website training site.

Hope this helps with your RPM issues.

Jesika
2007-01-21 7:00 PM
in reply to: #646360

User image

Regular
Studio City
Hi All! Haven't been in the forum for a while; just really busy with work and home stuff. I'm sure you know how it is Anyway, I've been tracking my workouts and nutrition. It's really helped me to make better eating decisions. Writing down what I eat really makes me think twice about grabbing a cookie or piece of b-day cake! Also reading all of your posts have really inspired me to. I need to start swimming and running. They are both pretty weak sports for me, but I've made it a goal to start my 20 wk Sprint program tomorrow. I've been cross-training, but now it's time to start the really training!
2007-01-22 7:38 AM

Good Monday to All!!! and it is. My wonderful husband went to work this morning with all of the car keys so I am having a little extended weekend. Fortunately, my clients are pretty flexible and can be rescheduled. I can finish painting the livingroom today and do some packing, maybe get an outside run. That would be nice. Hope you all have a great week and great training. Danielle
2007-01-22 3:59 PM

User image

New user
So what is everyone's goals for this week? I have:

1) two swims
2) two bikes
3) 3 weight sessions
4) 4 runs with one hopefully being 9-10 miles.
5) have a better week eating - the last part of last week I ate too much not good for you stuff.
6) determine BT membership level.
2007-01-22 4:32 PM
in reply to: #663849

Wow! You're doing a terrific job by telling us your goals! I wish you all the success in reaching them!

Here are my goals for the week:

1) Stick to my training program
2) Walk 30 minutes 3 x week
3) Consistently eat a healthy diet throughout the week
4) Consistently log my runs and nutrition throughout the week

Good trainings everyone!

2007-01-22 5:03 PM

My workout goals are:

1) 3 swims
Focus:
I've been working on power stroke, encorporating correct kicking sensation from no arm kick drills and engaging lats (something new) from fist drills. Continue drilling for comfort with this stroke and begin working into my endurance swim starting with alternating legnths with power focused stroke and glide focused stroke. (this is because my heart won't handle endurance swimming using the energy required for power stroke yet).

2) 3 runs
Focus:
My sister bought disposable litter boxes which makes treadmill running much more desirable since if she hasn't taken care of that duty, I easily can. I want to determine at what speed, regardless of how slow it is, that I can sustain for 20 minutes on flat ground. Hills one day per week. I suspect this is about 4.0mph and gradually bring that speed up remaining in zone 2. My goal is 6 mph. Then extend time at that pace.

3) 3 bikes
Focus:
Get to know my new stationary bike ( my husband is bringing it home tonight, I am so excited. I'll report what it is and how I like it later. I know nothing except it is Free.) Work on technique drills as I did not know there was a technique for riding a bike. gradually encorporate skill into endurance ride. Toughen up my hide. It is not used to being on a seat any more.

4) 2 strength 5 core
Focus:
Really work on lats so that power stroke is not so exhausting. Work on strenghening low back and stabilizers.

5) See my chiropractor to realign right hip rotation.
2007-01-22 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Studio City

Wow, you are doing great! It's great to see that you are using the forum to tell us your goals. It's been hard today; sick baby, bad weather and just feeling glum. Nothing a little excercise can't fix though. So thanks for the inspiration!

My goals are

1. 3 swims
  2. 3 runs
  3. 3 bikes
  4. Pilates and strength training

2007-01-22 10:11 PM

New Bike - Pro Forma 775s. calculates time, distance, laps, speed in mph, calories. Position is nothing like my bike or a spin bike but the endurance building abilities are adequate. I will have to play with position and drills for skill building then try to carry that over to my street bike and translate. All in all, a steal for FREE. Yeah!
2007-01-23 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Hey ladies! It looks like everyone has some good goals for this week - how is your motivation going so far?

I have a tip for everyone's training logs, since I think you are all new to BT. When you want to respond to an inspire comment that someone has left for you, hit the BLOG button (instead of reply). This will open up the other person's training log, so you can actually leave your reply on their page. This makes it easier to see people's responses to questions, comments, etc - especially as the list of logs you look at grows!

My goals for this week:

- Be patient and let whatever is wrong with my shin/calf get better

- Follow doc's orders on shin/calf

- up water intake again (wasn't good last week)

- figure out WATT function on trainer - what does it really mean?

2007-01-23 9:13 PM

User image

New user

Well, I'm a little late starting up this week (what happened to Monday, anyway?), but here are my goals:

1) 2 swims (1 short for speed and 1 endurance swim)
2) 2 runs - I may actually try water running this week to take the pressure off my poor knee, although it's doing much better these days.
3) 2 biking sessions, may incorporate spinning class
4) Start strength training - 2 sessions: one with my personal trainer and one by myself
5) Drink more water!!
6) Try to limit the not-so-diet-friendly treats
7) Get more sleep.

Okay, I think that's it. Although I've kind of cheated and included the two workouts I did today (swim and spin) above...I think they still count!

Good luck with your training this week, everyone!

Emily

2007-01-24 1:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

It looks like all of you have a great training program prepared for yourselves! May I ask all of you a question? How long have you been training? And at what intensity (example: racing, recreational, to lose weight, etc.)? If you decide to answer, that's great!

I guess I wanted to know because everyone sounded like they've been training for awhile!

Thanks,
Jenn
2007-01-24 7:57 AM
in reply to: #665896

Illinois
Hi! Back from NYC. Thought I would answer that question.
I have been working out consistantly since last March, before that I had a treadmill at home and ran 2 days a week. I work out six days a week now. I also have been working with a personal trainer since October 16th because I had some weight that I couldn't shed and I was ready to take the physique to another level. I have added now a swim coach every other Wednesday for the next five weeks to help me with breathing, turns (for indoor tri) and general pointers. I go to the gym each day for about two hours. I think I could go more, but don't want to burn out of the fun that it is for me to go.
As for diet, didn't get serious serious until I started logging everything I ate in November.

Hope this helps,
Jesika
2007-01-24 7:17 PM

I took up running when I had gained 25 lbs. post smoking.  That was summer 2005 but only lasted until the weather turned cold in November.  I was running 3 miles hills or 5 miles flat.  When summer 2006 came around I just couldn't motivate myself to pick it up again.  In July, I started swimming 3 days a week and in September started thinking about triathlon because I had considered running and swimming to be the most miserable forms of excercise and since I had learned to do and like both, I thought I might as well.  I found this web site and took the recommendation made in a beginner's article and bought Joe Friel's "My First Triathlon" and Terry Laughlin's "Total Immersion".  I started doing swim drills 6 days a week and have been doing so since.  Actually starting to run and bike again didn't start until the beginning of this mentoring forum and this group, so I am brand new.  I haven't done any strength training since college. - Danielle

2007-01-25 5:43 PM

Wow!

Thanks to the two who responded to my question! It's really inspiring because it seems like I'm starting off really small. I'm assuming this will go by quickly, but I appreciate you sharing your stories.

Right now, I'm feeling a bit burnt out and stressed from the changes in my workout routine plus work and just life in general. Are there any tips in alleviating the stress in becoming a runner?

- Jennifer
2007-01-25 6:36 PM
in reply to: #668308

Illinois
I by no means am a runner. However, I find just forcing myself to get on the treadmill and go and go until I can not go is what has helped the most. When I get outside I tend to drone down a bit because the wind in my lungs in the cold air kills. So, when outside take plenty of breaks. I think you can't get enough breaks when you run in the winter, I can't recall where you are located but here it is hard winds and hard on the lungs. The blood is actually used to warm the air that comes in and out of the lungs forcing your heart and body to work harder to neutralize and keep you warm. It is just hard hard hard on the body, but it does burn the calories. I do suggest that you go get metabolic testing, if offered at a local gym, so that you know where your thresholds are and what really works when it comes to running, biking, swimming, weights, etc. Also, one of my marathon friends told me run eight minutes walk two, it so far has helped me the most. In the two down I drink and wipe and re-coop.
Hope this helps, maybe the marathoners here can offer more advice.

2007-01-25 9:11 PM

Jennifer,  Are you in San Diego?  I think If I lived at the beautiful Pacific Ocean, I would run where it inspires me.  If you can, run at the beach, pier, or where ever it makes you feel good.  My favorite place to run is on the Wabash Trace.  It is woodsy, secluded and washed with the moon in the evening.  That gives me energy to get it done.  If running is the most difficult, then use your best time of day to run.  Chances are what ever you are currently doing at that time, you can do on auto pilot anyway.  Start small, tell yourself whatever you need to hear,  Pat yourself on the back when you get it done.  One of my goals is to learn to love running.  I'm right there with you.  These are the things that help me get started.  The feeling of accomplishment keeps me going.

Danielle

2007-01-26 8:37 AM

User image

New user
Jennifer,

I have been "training off and on (a lot of off) since February 2002. My sister talked me into a half marathon for that June and I very half heartedly trained for it. By the time the race came I decided if I could do half, I might as well do the whole thing and I set my sights on Chicago 2002. In the course of training, I ended up on a running board, much like this, and met some of the people and formed a little running family. From Chicago 2002, I went on to do Madison, Grandma's, Chicago again and a crazy trail marathon in Indiana. In the spring of 2004 I was training for the Flying Pig and Bayshore and ended up with bursitis in my hip. With the help of a great chiropractor (after a not great cortizone shot) I pr'ed at Bayshore. Then I pretty much stopped running except for a few things here and there. I tried to get myself back in gear to do Disney '06 which I finished, but it was certainly not my best effort. 2006 was a lot of back & forth, a little running here and there, some biking here and there, some swimming occassionally. Nothing consistent other than weight gain.

So now in 2007 - I will be 40 in 8 months, I am contemplating some serious life changes and I decided enough was enough - I am getting back on the "trail" so to speak, concentrating on building a consistent base of 25 - 30 miles a week plus biking, swimming and weight training, to lose weight and get to some new running goals.

Things that have helped me 1) friends who run. Having a supportive group with you helps keep you on track. 2) going slow at first and knowing when to back off on speed/training. I may run for an hour at a time right now, but it is a slow hour and that is okay with me. The only person I have to best is myself. 3) look for some crazy fun races to get invilved in - I do a trail relay race every year that is more about being with friends and having fun than it is about "winning". 4) try different work outs - hills, speed intervals, etc. 5) on a day when you just can not stand it - give yourself 20 minutes - you can do anything for 20 minutes - even if it means just walking. If you still are not "in to it" after 20 - stop, but chances are you will want to keep going.

Hope this helps!
2007-01-28 11:14 PM
in reply to: #668711

Thank you for your inspiration! It's tough dealing with injuries and wanting to do more than what your body can handle. Right now, that's what I want, but my body just doesn't work that fast. Apparently, it's not natural for my body to run.

Naturally, I love to snowboard. I can do this all day and never get tired nor sore - and it's a wonderful aerobic workout. Since I live in Southern California, though, winter is short and sweet, so I need to keep my options open. I've always been a weak long distance runner and just really weak with endurance ANYTHING, so this will be a major physical challenge.

I appreciate all the inspiration the groups' been giving me. I've realized how my eating habits are not the best. I think I need to drink more water. The training log really does have a mental effect!!! Life should have a training log, too!!! Hehe!

Thanks again!

Jennifer
2007-01-28 11:31 PM
in reply to: #670877

Illinois
True about the training log effect. Each time I pop something in my mouth (except on Saturday night, which is my freebie night due to work constraints) I think oh crud I am gonna have to log this later on and sometimes that actually ends me up not eating it. The hardest thing to stay away from is cheese and butter. My husband is 100% British and he eats massive amounts of food. We clocked that he is close to 2800 calories a day and doesn't gain but rather loses. I just want to eat butter with my bread and no low carb bread. But today I did find that FlatOut wraps have come up with flavored mini wraps for lunches and that made me happy!
Good luck in the endurance!

Jesika
2007-01-29 7:15 AM

User image

New user

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd chime in on this (better late than never, right?). I'm a lot newer to training; in fact, I just started training for triathlon 3 weeks ago. Still, I've been trying to stay active (with on-and-off success) for the past 2 1/2 years or so. I've had a personal trainer help me over the last year, which I highly recommend, and she had taught me how to train effectively. As for running, I, too, am NOT built for it. I'm big (5'10'') and clumsy with relatively short legs, so I've come to accept the fact that I'll never be a fast runner. To be honest, running for me is a head game. I started in the summer of 2004 when my boyfriend broke up with me and I needed an outlet. I figured I was so hurt that running wouldn't hurt me any more! But because I'd never EVER done it before, so I signed up for a group running class, which is a great way to start. They recommend starting slowly (ie. 1 minute running, 1 minute walking; then 2 running, 1 walking, 3 and 1, 4 and 1, 5 and 1, then moving on to 10 and 1) and gradually working up that way. I was able to stay motivated with this program even though it was slow progress. Besides, any time I felt like giving up, I'd just think of my ex-boyfriend (or something equally frustrating) and I'd get a wonderful rush of adrenaline that would help me out! Now I can stop running for months at a time (which I don't recommend!) without losing the endurance I had originally built up. So that's how I did it. Hope that helps! -Em

2007-01-29 2:22 PM
in reply to: #670972

User image

Regular
Studio City
Hi Everyone. I know how you all feel about running. It's not my favorite sport, but I'm learning how to like it. I just really started to run. I  feel so slow when I run! I have to build up both speed and endurance. But 1 thing that has really helped me is to set small goals for myself while I'm running. I'll start off with a 5 min brisk walk to warm up, lightly stretch, and then start off with a 1-2 min run and then walk 3 mins/2 min run, etc. I sometimes set out goals for myself -  like I'll say OK..I'll run to that mailbox or to the next bend in the road..just to give my self a small goal. It sounds really funny, but it's helped! I consider myself a beginner to the sport because I haven't practiced that much since my last tri, so now I'm starting over.
2007-01-30 3:09 PM

Hi all - Just a quicky.  I am moving and so am temporarily separated from my computer.  Services will be transferred Friday and I will catch up.  I am catching a work out here and there but not keeping up with my intended schedule.  Just to make things interesting for me, my daughter has set a wedding date for April in Texas.  "By the way, Mom, the bride's parents are supposed to handle the arrangements aren't they?".  I might be a little crazy for a while.  Talk at you later. - Danielle
2007-01-31 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Hey ladies! I hear all your feelings about running - it's a sport that I fall in-and-out of love with. Right now, I usually love it - it's so nice that you can always run (not much equipment needed). The who reason I started tris, though, was because I was SICK of running. I knew it kept me in shape, but I just didn't want to do it 3-4 times a week anymore. It's funny, because I used to have a hard time even doing that much running and now I usually do two-a-days with my workouts (not running two-a-days, but a bike & run in the same day). That's why I love triathlons - the variety. My least favorite is swimming - my husband is so good at that and I'm just not. I really need to get a swim coach for a few pointers, but it's hard to find the time and commit the extra money.

By the way - don't get down on yourself for not being "fast" - speed comes with time. I'm saying this after being frustrated with my 5K on Saturday, but I know deep down that it's true. I remember the progression of saying "I just wish I could run under an 11 minute mile", then "I just wish I could run under a 10 minute mile", and so on. I still want to be faster too, but it will come if you work on it!

Ya'll are awesome - you're doing a great job sticking with your training! January's already over and you're still here!

2007-02-04 10:03 AM

Hello to All - I am not all moved yet but my computer is.   I took a few minutes to catch up the last week's logging, not as much as planned but I am happy to have gotten something done during all of the chaos.  I have been to the chiropractor, and my hips improved although moving has put some strain on them.  I have not had time to get to my sister's to run this last week and to be honest it is something I have to force myself to do under good conditions.  Now that I have a stationary bike ( which is working out very well) I am looking for  a treadmill.  Temps are in the single digets this week so running to the car is as good as it gets outside. 

My Grandson is here this weekend and sick but as soon as things have settled down I will get back to seeing what you have all been doing in my absence.  I'm sure you all have been more on track than I have been. 

Good Training to All - Danielle

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 5