Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-02-07 10:48 AM
in reply to: #646360

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: hblackmon's Group - FULL!

How is everyone's week going so far? I've been feeling sick all week, so training is been pretty shot for me, I'm just trying to get well. I'm so tired of blowing my nose!

Hopefully I'm the only one sick and everyone else is having a fantastic week!

2007-02-08 7:46 AM
in reply to: #682672

I'm having a less than fantastic week but hanging in there.  So far, I have been blessed with good health this winter but my grandson has been here for several days sick.  He's not contageous, just suffering from the complications of allergies and improper care for them.   Still, it is wearing on my energy to have an unhappy, uncomfortable child.  I had a good run last night which helped boost me from this week's lethargic training pattern, but today, I feel kind of low.  It has been cold and dissmal this week and I think I am suffering from a lack of sun.  I am going to try a tanning session and see if that helps.  Some vitamin C would probably help too. 

Hope to hear from everyone soon.  It's been a quiet week so far.

2007-02-08 10:12 AM

I've had a rough week, too!!!

My throat hurts from coughing a whole bunch, so I slowed down my training program to walking everyday for at least 30 minutes per day. If you haven't noticed, I haven't even been updating my training log!

Work has be rather stressful, too, and I've been fatigued. I look forward to a better next week!

Good luck to you all!
2007-02-11 12:06 PM

User image

New user

I'm sorry to hear you're all feeling under the weather. I blame it on February - it happens to me every year. I, too, have been blessed with relatively good health so far, although I should probably not say that because I feel like I've been fighting something for the last week or two. Training's been tough for me anyway because I'm in class 40 hours a week and I have lots of assignments and studying on top of that. Plus, like I say, it's February so I'm just feeling drained and less-than-enthusiastic. Still, I had a good training day yesterday and I hope to continue that this week. Unfortunately it seems as thought I've re-injured my knee so I'm hesitant to run today...I need to go see my sports med doctor again, but I don't want to get behind in my training so it's a bit of a dilemma.

Anyway, it seems as though we're all struggling together right now. I do wish you all the best and I hope you feel better this week. My thoughts are with you! -Emily
2007-02-13 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Hey - sorry I've been MIA- I've been sick too! I still have a small tickle in the back of my throat and a little congestion, but I'm back to training again (as of this past weekend). Be careful not to do much if you are sick, especially if it's below the neck.

I've decided I'm giving myself a free pass on the last week and I'll start to my "1 missed training session" per week this week! I have signed up for a swimming lesson to work on my form on the 26th. I'm kind of nervous - I've never had a coach critique my swimming before - but I know this is what I need to improve my swim.

Emily - be careful on your knee. If it's hurting, go to the doctor first. If you keep training, you could end up injuring it more and having to miss MORE training. Always a good idea to get it checked out early.

2007-02-24 2:13 PM

User image

New user
Hello - how has everyone been? We are back from visiting my folks in Mexico - weather was great - sorry to be home. Did not exercise much since I still have the cough from the week before. I only have three weeks to my half though so need to get back in gear.

What has everyone been up to?

2007-02-24 9:31 PM

Hi Guys- Good to hear from ya'll.  It's been pretty quiet with all you  travelers and sickys.

Emily - How's school?  Do you get lake effect snow on the north side?  We are getting a fresh 6 to 12 " tonight on top of a lovely sheet of freezing rain from this afternoon.  I can't complain though, the last two days have been 50 + degrees.  I can smell spring coming.  How's training going?  I am finally working through my lagging motivation.

Lisa - Did you have a nice visit with family?  I would love to be in Mexico right now.  I had Taco salad for dinner tonight.  That's about as close as I get.  So I'll bet you are running your little legs off this week getting ready for a half marathon.  I don't envy you for the difficulty but I have to admit that I am jealous that you are anywhere close to being ready to enter a race of any kind.  My swimming is pretty strong right now but I am barely running and 20 miles on the stationary bike tonight was pure agony.  Lots of luck with your race.

Heather - Your work outs are awsome.  I'm happy to see you are back from illness and that your calf problem is better.

I haven't seen anything from Jesika lately.  I hope everything is alright with her.  I am entrigued by her vertical mile race.  It seems like she said that was coming up in March.  My local news was talking about a similar thing in Omaha's First national Bank building, but only 40 stories.  Maybe i'll look into that for next year.

So good to hear from you all - Danielle

2007-02-27 10:10 AM
in reply to: #702178

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Hey ladies! I've been running around crazy recently! Between regular work, travel agent work, training, and travel - it seems to be hard to fit everything in right now! I'm trying to remember that this is fun and not to take things so seriously, because there are only so many hours in a day.

I think spring will be here soon enough, I actually wish I could squeeze a little more winter out of this year, but it's warming up down here. I'm heading up to the cold on Wednesday afternoon - hopefully I can get my fill of snow in this weekend!

Keep up all the training and logging your workouts!

When is everyone's next race (any type of race)? Races keep me motivated - so my next one is March 10th (10K), with the ING Half Mary to follow on March 25th.

2007-02-27 10:17 AM

User image

New user
I have the March Madness 1/2 on 3/18 and the Shamrock Shuffle 8k on 3/25. Heather - I have several friends who are doing the ING Georgia 1/2 and full on the 25th as well.
2007-02-27 3:00 PM

Keep up the great work everyone! I realize we're either recovering from being sick or traveling, but I know we can do it! Have a great week!

Here's a quote from Richard Templar's, Rules of Life:

And that's what life is,
What it is meant to be;
A series of struggles and lulls.

Good runnings!!!

Jennifer Andrade
San Diego, CA
2007-02-27 5:35 PM

User image

New user

Hi again everyone,

I've been pretty quiet recently, too, I know. I've sort of been having a little of everything going on (traveling, injury, illness...) so it's really been a struggle to keep up. In fact, I kind of fell off the wagon last week because it was our winter break at school and I was back at home in Ottawa where I just don't have easy access to the facilities I need for training. I'm back on track this week, I think, and I'll be picking up my training where I left off, provided school doesn't get in the way too much (which it likely will)!

I'm glad to hear you're all heading in the right direction again. I haven't really decided what races I'm working towards, except that I'm pretty sure there's one taking place the weekend before my wedding that I'd really like to do. That's not 'til around July 20, though, so I think I'd like to find one in May or June just to help keep me motivated. I'm going to look into it soon.

Good luck to you all...I hope spring gets here soon!

Emily

2007-02-27 7:29 PM

Illinois
Okay, I know that I have been laxed on journaling, but good on activity. Wasn't deemed safe to race for the Hustle, and a good thing because I was locked into San Fran due to weather. (ice in chicago and sand storm in dallas). I can't imagine if I had been able to race. Repeated and MRI today and ugh...it was a bummer. I feel like my knee is worsening but I feel mentally surprisingly well.
Today marks the one year anniversary of the death of Sophia Grace from a brain tumor. I know she would be proud of her Mum and Dad for working as hard as we have. I praise the Lord for giving me the courage to work hard and keep going in spite of myself.

Jesika
2007-02-27 7:59 PM

Hi Ya'll.  I am so glad to hear from everyone. 

Jesika - I'm sorry to hear about your knee, but you have a great attitude.   God be with you today.

My first race is a mini-tri on April 29th.  I have not even looked at run events but I think I'll try to find a 5K before that.  I think I can handle that if I don't try to be too speedy.  It is still very cold for us Northern girls.  I am going to Tenessee for a few days in April, but that is still a ways off.  Freezing rain is in tomorrow's forcast and snow on Thursday. 

Good training to all

Danielle

2007-03-04 1:36 PM

Spring is coming!  as soon as we get rid of the 2 feet of snow we received in February.  I have registered for a 5K on St. Paddy's day.  I have not even introduced my new running shoes to the great outdoors yet.  I ran 4 miles on the treadmill today at 5.5 mph.  My longest and fastest run to date but that doesn't get it done in the snow with other racers around me.  My mental focus for today is Run/Ride/ Swim my own race at my own pace -- not letting my competetive nature push me harder than I am ready for.   Balance Balance Balance.  Happy March to Ya'll

2007-03-12 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
How is March going for everyone? I had a great race on Saturday and great outdoor weather for the rest of the weekend - so I'm feeling pretty good so far! I'm looking forward to my first tri of the season in a little under 7 weeks now - I can't believe it's coming up so fast!
2007-03-12 2:30 PM
in reply to: #719729

Nice job! Glad to hear that the weather is shaping up in your area!

San Diego's weather is becoming beautiful (as it always is)! I was up at the mountains this past weekend and did some hiking on Saturday. My training helped in that sense because the uphill climb wasn't too bad. I rested today and I startup again today.

Next weekend I go snowboarding at Lake Tahoe. Following that weekend, I go to the local mountains and do some trail hiking/running again.

Between those times, I'm still training, but I want to jump on a bike and start training that way. I've kind of diverted from the "plans" but I guess I've created my own in a weird way. Hopefully that's not bad, but I've been consistent nonetheless!

Good luck!

2007-03-12 3:29 PM
in reply to: #720227

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
I'm so jealous that you are going boarding in Lake Tahoe next weekend - I'm sad that my snowboarding season is over! Is the snow still great out there?
2007-03-22 7:42 AM

Here's some interesting reading material for you ladies regarding correlation between exercise ( particularly running ) and both brain function and nerve cell regeneration in areas of the brain.  There are several articles that are offered at the bottom of the page.  www.nootropics.com/exercise/brain.html  For further reading, type BDNF into your favorite search engine ( I used Google) and read on.  Also a fascinating article coming out as the cover story in the March 26, 2007 issue of Newsweek. 

Good reading, and running,

Danielle

2007-03-22 8:32 AM

User image

New user
Thanks for the information Danielle.

Heather - good luck this weekend! I hear it is going to be a warm one. Hope you have a great run!
2007-03-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: #732848

Yes, there's Spring snow in the California region. It was nice because not many people realize that there's the powder stuff out there.

I was real sore after this, too! My workout suffered for the last three days, but I'm on the roll again!

Keep up the good work everyone! Spring has arrived!
2007-03-29 8:10 AM

User image

New user
Everyone has been so quiet lately. I bagged my 8k last week so now I need to pick a new race goal since I will probably not do a marathon til the fall. There is a new 10 miler in the area in May - I think I may try for that one.

What does everyone else have going on?

Heather - Congrats on your race! I heard what a hot day it was Sunday aand about the lack of water/gatorade on the course.

2007-03-29 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

It has been quiet here - it must be that everyone is just training hard!

The ING race was good, I had some stomach issues which prevented me from as good a race as I had hoped, but I'll definately do it again next year. I think my next half isn't until December, so that's a little disappointing - but I guess since I'm scheduled for the South Carolina Half Iron, I'll be doing a half in the race (yikes!).

It's pretty warm in Atlanta already - lots of pollen EVERYWHERE!

When is everyone's first tri? Mine is St Anthony's - April 29th. It's coming up soon - just waiting on my new wetsuit to be delivered! I'm supposed to bike lots between now and then, per my coach!

2007-03-29 5:18 PM

My first sprint tri is not until June 10.  There is a mini tri event April 29th that I am going to participate in to get aquainted.  Mean while I had a 5k March 17 and will pick up runs where able.  I have been quiet and slack lately.  I had a tooth/jaw problem that was very painful and turned out to be a sinus infection which surprised me.  Then passing thru company.  My last week has been bleak.  I got back to the pool this morning though.
2007-03-31 5:41 PM

It looks like everyone is doing a great job. Keep up the good work!

My first run will be in May. In the meantime, I've been actively working out everyday with my dogs as my coaches! Snowboarding and hiking in the local mountains have been keeping my workouts fairly interesting so I'm not getting too bored with the running.

Summer is just around the corner for San Diego, so I'll probably start surfing now that the snow is melting away. That will help the swimming portion of my workouts!

2007-04-01 2:37 PM

User image

New user

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update since I've kind of gone MIA. It's final exam time at vet school, which means I'm having to spend all my waking hours studying. That, in addition to my knee injury, is forcing me to take a break from training. I hope to start up again near the end of April or beginning of May. I'll keep you updated.

Good luck with your training and racing!

Em
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » hblackmon's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 5