BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lcsolutions Group - Re-OPENed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-01-09 11:12 AM

Veteran
Subject: Lcsolutions Group - Re-OPENed!
Okay! Out of 3 mentoree's, we had one HUGH success in JKVandy's AWESOME performance in his inagural triathlon performance! I think it's time to throw open the doors and get some more folks to join TEAM LCSOLUTIONS! Come aboard - permission not required!

NAME: LCSOLUTIONS / Just your average "Joe"

STORY: In 2006 I was turned onto the sport of triathlons by my loving wife, Regina, afterwhich we have embarked in a new chapter of our adult lives in our fitness ambitions. As a former long-distance runner and competitive swimmer in my youth, the added bicycle element makes this sport an intriguing challenge both mentally as well as physically. In our free time, our family is very involved in both the Girl and Boy Scouts of America - SCOUTING RULES!

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married to a fellow BT Triathlete! 3 young kiddos in the den.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last year I really concentrated on getting my feet wet - reminding my body of what it felt like to take fitness seriously. Now that I have reached a nice plateau, I am working on increasing my endurance to experiment with an Olympic-distance tri this year. I am naturally a pretty decent swimmer, so the majority of my training centers around a. running b. biking c. strength training, in that order.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: I did two Sprint distance Tri's last year with success (see my race log for gorey details).

2007 RACES:
2007-04-01 - Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile
2007-04-22 - Kinetic Sprint, Race #4
2007-06-02 - Pocomoke Triathlon
2007-08-26 - North East Triathlon
2007-09-16 - Montgomery Village Tri-To-Sprint
2007-10-06 - Osprey Sprint Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: No real goals - I have dropped about 10 pounds since beginning last year. I am more centered around sculpting and strengthening my core area - this will probably result in another 5-10 pound loss this year, depending on muscle gain.

Edited by lcsolutions 2007-05-14 8:38 PM

2007-01-12 11:16 AM
in reply to: #647782

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Lcsolutions Group - OPEN
LC,

I initially clicked your profile b/c your group's initials are the same as mine but I see that you have 3 kiddos and a wife who is also into fitness and I therefore think I'll fit in well in your group.

I completed my first triathlon (an Olympic) last May 2006 after 4 months training under the supervision of Team in Training raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I completed in 3 hours 45 minutes but I did it and felt great. Unfortunately, I decided to take a break from training after the race and that led to absolutely no exercise (I hate it when that happens) for the past months since May 2006. I have determined that I'm going to be get back in shape and complete another Olympic in Austin, TX in May so I'm starting back on a 20 week program (from this site) this Monday.

Background

I played tennis and soccer relentlessly in grade school and high school. I ran regularly and lifted weights in college but then after college I basically quit fitness exept for the periodic few weeks of running I would take up and then quit.

This triathlon last year was the most successful effort I've ever made to follow a training plan and complete an event. My goal is to get the motivation back, complete the training and the race, and then continue with training and working toward a 1/2 Ironman next year.

Take care - I look forward to hearing back from you!

Locke Curfman
2007-01-12 12:29 PM

Veteran
Welcome Locke!

Misery (I mean joy!) loves company, so welcome aboard! I think we all could confess a bit that hosting a mentor/support program has a selfish component such that I look forward to pushing my training schedule WITH you! I have a few others in BT that have provided me such inspiration over the past year that I look forward to hopefully giving a little of that back to the Tri community. I'll take a look at your training logs and learn a little about where you are at training-wise these days.

Looking forward to a GREAT tri year!
Joe
2007-01-13 10:28 AM

Hi Lcsolutions,

I'm completely new to BT and the thought of completing a triathlon. I'm probably one of the younger members here (student), but I hope you don't mind. This is my first year that I haven't played a sport (used to do cheerleading and javelin), so I've been going to the gym 4 times I week since September. After two months of running, I got bored and switched to swimming which have greatly improved my skills. I'm not much of an indoor-spinner on the bike, which will probably be the area I need the most help with. My goal is to up my training and complete a sprint traithlon in the spring.
2007-01-13 5:38 PM

Hi Lcsolutions
I signed up for my first triathlon scheduled for May 26th. I run regularly and have been now including biking and swimming as part of my regemin. My wife and I have done some longer distance runs. My challenge, and where you can provide advice, is in time scheduling. I have two kids (one is a Brownie, let me know if you want Girl Scout cookies). I am looking forward to this whole experience
2007-01-13 10:59 PM
in reply to: #653401

Veteran
Hi CalFly! I think you are going to enjoy making triathlons a part of your life! I think that establishing a healthy, injury-resistant exercise regime, coupled with some nice race goals, can not only enhance your life, but make it more fun, too! I'll take a look at your training as you go - be sure to log your workouts in BT so I can keep up to-date with your thoughts and struggles.

Welcome Aboard!

2007-01-13 11:03 PM
in reply to: #653701

Veteran
ecmpaang - 2007-01-13 6:38 PM

Hi Lcsolutions
I signed up for my first triathlon scheduled for May 26th. I run regularly and have been now including biking and swimming as part of my regemin. My wife and I have done some longer distance runs. My challenge, and where you can provide advice, is in time scheduling. I have two kids (one is a Brownie, let me know if you want Girl Scout cookies). I am looking forward to this whole experience

Welcome to Triathlons!
Making the decision to do this is the first and most difficult step, so you're on your way! And having your spouse there to not only share your fitness goals, but to participate with you is a great asset. I look forward to digging into your exercise logs, and can certainly help in the art of juggling life/work/kiddos/spouse and your training plan.

Welcome to the Team!! I look forward to getting to know you better in the months to come!

2007-01-14 11:18 AM

User image

Oakville, ON
Hi lcs-

If you hav got room for me, I'd love to jump on board!

I am 27 ys old and live in Houston, TX.

At this time last year I had recently got engaged to my long time girl. We then decided to have our wedding on the beach... this started out work out routine. I had always been in decent shape but had definitley slipped to the worst shape of my life. We started jogging little by little and things progressed very nicely. As I got inbetter shape I started to push my goals and was seeing great progress. I was thriled that i was actually doing it the "smart" way by increasing slowly over time.

Now in 2007, I am ready to take the next step. I have signed up for a Sprint Tri on 3/31 and an Olympic on 5/28 this year. I have been winging my workout routines (long run around 9 miles, long bike around 30 miles, swim-YIKES- around 650m) but figured it was time to get some structure to my routine. SO i recently joined BT. I am BLOWN AWAY by the amount of knowledge on this site.

If you'd be willing, I would like to work with your group in acheiveing our goals this year!
2007-01-14 1:23 PM
in reply to: #654037

User image

New user

JK,

Sounds like you are planning on doing the Capital Tex Tri in Austin on Memorial Day? If so, that's great - I'll be there as well. I did my first Oly Tri last year in the Dallas area with Team in Training but I had to miss the Austin Tri so I'm ready to tackle it this year.

Looking forward to working with everyone in the group on getting in great shape and hitting our goals hard! Take care,

Locke Curfman
Longview, TX
2007-01-14 11:13 PM
in reply to: #654094

User image

Oakville, ON
LCURFMAN,

You got it! I have signed up for Austin. I am a bit freaked out about that one, I am comfortable about the sprint-outside of the fact it will be my first tri.

So you are doing the 20 week prep for Austin? I was wondering if I should do a sprint plan then adjust to oly after i finish the sprint? I have about 8 weeks between.

The distances shown for the run on my sprint log don't seem very long... but they are lumped in with aobut an hour of biking on the same day. I have to get used to doing more low intensity workouts versus going all oiut everytime. Of course that's why I am here, not sure how to train smart!

Great to hear from you and I am fired up about this site... once I learn to navigate it that is!

Happy training! Stay warm (for us TX people!)
2007-01-15 6:29 PM

Subject: RE: Lcsolutions Group - FULL
Ok, I hope I am not throwing off the thread here (thats what its called right? I read internet terminology at a 3rd grade level), but I could use some input. My first tri is a sprint scheduled for May 26th. I just discovered that a 1/2 marathon I really want to do is still open and is scheduled for March 31st. My goal would be to complete it in 2:15, so not setting any land speed records here. Given the schedule, would preparing for a 1/2 marathon and the recovery aftermath play havoc in training for the tri? This is uncharted territory for me so I would love to here from anyone who dealt with something similiar. Thanks all. Eric

2007-01-15 7:21 PM
in reply to: #655593

Veteran
ecmpaang - 2007-01-15 7:29 PM

Ok, I hope I am not throwing off the thread here (thats what its called right? I read internet terminology at a 3rd grade level), but I could use some input. My first tri is a sprint scheduled for May 26th. I just discovered that a 1/2 marathon I really want to do is still open and is scheduled for March 31st. My goal would be to complete it in 2:15, so not setting any land speed records here. Given the schedule, would preparing for a 1/2 marathon and the recovery aftermath play havoc in training for the tri? This is uncharted territory for me so I would love to here from anyone who dealt with something similiar. Thanks all. Eric

Hi Eric,
Based on what I've read on your running fitness level, I would say you are fine with the half-marathon if you're up for it. You'll have plenty of recovery time prior to the tri events. Just be sure to allow for a good recovery period after the race, and you should be great! I am doing something similar with a 10 mi. run coming up in early April - we can support each other pounding pavement in preparation!
KEEP SMILING!
~Joe
2007-01-20 10:44 PM

Hi,

Hope everyone in the group is doing well working on their goals! I haven't been able to log on for the past couple days to up-date my log, nor have I spent my time at the gym- I have been thinking about it though! My next big purchase is a new bicycle, which I'm very excited about, but a little lost in the whole proccess. There are so many choices, do I want a road or tri bike, drop handles, what kind of breaks, new or used?? I certaintly have my homework cut out for me in that department!
2007-01-24 3:25 PM

Good luck with that. I have no experience in triathlons, but I intend to ride a bike that is pretty old. Its a Raleigh, do they even make those anymore? I'm with you on the homework dept. I am taking the same philosophy I have when a salesman tries to sell me a $130 pair of running shoes; what makes me run faster? Shoes or my legs?
2007-01-24 3:30 PM
in reply to: #662064

Veteran
CalFly - 2007-01-20 11:44 PM

Hi,

Hope everyone in the group is doing well working on their goals! I haven't been able to log on for the past couple days to up-date my log, nor have I spent my time at the gym- I have been thinking about it though! My next big purchase is a new bicycle, which I'm very excited about, but a little lost in the whole proccess. There are so many choices, do I want a road or tri bike, drop handles, what kind of breaks, new or used?? I certaintly have my homework cut out for me in that department!

Hey Cally! The most important aspect in choosing a bike for you is WHATEVER GETS YOU ON THE ROAD! You can take a look in the various forums in here in BT and get some really great advice, but essentially you can pay $300, or $3000 dollars - up to you. There are MANY different components to look at when you get into the serious dollars - what kind of shifting components, what type of frame, tri bike or road bike, type of wheels, etc. The list goes on. Give me a holler if you have any particular questions, and I'll do my best.
The one thing that IS important in a new bike is how it fits. Take the time to get your local Bike Shop to do a fitting. You'll be a able to go further, faster, and withiout as much of a tendency for injury!

Good Luck!! ~Joe
2007-01-26 9:57 AM

Veteran
Subject: Okay - Time to Set Some Goals!
Hi Guys n' Gals,
Let's kick off next week by working to support each other on some near-term goals. This also helps everyone to know what each others' internal expectations are, and to hopefully help motivate and congratulate each other as the week progresses. What do you think? You game? I'll start:

Week of Jan. 28 - My goal is to split my training time evenly between my bike (Yuck) and running. My goal weekly exercise time is 150 minutes total.

Who's next?

~Joe

2007-01-26 3:38 PM
in reply to: #668828

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Okay - Time to Set Some Goals!
Go Joe! My goal for Jan 28 week is 309 minutes splitting my time evenly between swimming, cycling, and running. I haven't done any swimming yet because of my collar bone and shoulder injury so I'm going to be coasting in that department

Who's next?

Edited by lcurfman 2007-01-29 4:50 PM
2007-01-29 4:05 PM

I am looking to get 15 miles of running in this week (got 4 in today) and three sessions at the pool. I have a nutrition goal too. I am traveling for work Tues through Thursday. That almost always means going out for meals. Its tempting to go for the nachos and wings. My goal will be to eat as healthy as possible.
2007-01-29 5:06 PM
in reply to: #671866

Veteran
Good Goal! Healthy eating is probably the hardest goal of all (at least for me!) ~Joe
2007-02-04 3:18 PM

How did everyone do with their goals? I got my running in.
Joe
I have a question regarding the swim portion of a sprint triathlon. My first tri will include an open water swim in a small lake. My plan is to back stroke if I need to catch my breath. My thinking is, with my face out of the water, I can catch my breath for about 5-10 seconds, then roll over and continue to swim freestyle. I have even been practicing rolling over while swimming laps. My concern is the splashing of the water around me may make this a futile effort. Bearing in mind my goal is to stay to the right as far as reasonable, is this a sound tactic?
Also, any reccomendations on any good triathlon books/manuals out there?
Thanks
Eric
2007-02-06 10:52 AM
in reply to: #678849

User image

Oakville, ON
I have "the triathlete's training bible" bu joe friel which seems to be the standard for training. This site references ALOT. It's a hardcore book but has great info in it.

I also have "Triathlon 101" by John Mora which is a good book for rookies like me!

Glad to hear your training is going well. I do great the first part of the week but keep fallig off towards the end!

Just signed up for a 30 mile bike ride on sunday... finally a good long ride outside! Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

2007-02-06 11:09 AM
in reply to: #678849

Veteran
Sorry I haven't been around here much these days - I'M NOT GONE, I PROMISE! Between the bum foot and a Boy Scouting schedule that seems more like a full time job than a volunteer activity, my routines have suffered a bit.
Personally I think doing backstroke would be very difficult in a tri, especially in open water. When I get tired and need to change my stroke to take a break, I switch to breast stroke - this ensures a couple of important things.... 1. I'm still going straight/sighting my line as efficiently as possible, 2. I am not going to bump into anyone since I am facing foreward, and 3. I have more control of water getting in my face since I can see potential swells/waves coming verses backstroke. Just my opinion, but hope it helps!

As for reference materials, I have read some exerpts from "Chi Running", working on optimizing my running form. Other than that, I have relied heavily on this site and the forum discussions and articles! Take some time to read everything you can here before spending money on anything - you just might get the answers you need for free!

~ Joe
2007-02-08 6:38 PM
in reply to: #681066

30 miles! Cool! Good luck with that! Let us know how it went!
2007-05-14 8:34 PM

Veteran
Subject: Lcsolutions Group - Re-OPENed!
Okay! Out of 3 mentoree's, we had one HUGH success in JKVandy's AWESOME performance in his inagural triathlon performance! I think it's time to throw open the doors and get some more folks to join TEAM LCSOLUTIONS! Come aboard - permission not required!

Edited by lcsolutions 2007-05-14 8:38 PM
2007-05-15 12:53 PM
in reply to: #800573

User image

Brownsburg, IN
Subject: RE: Lcsolutions Group - Re-OPENed!
Woot. I would love to join the group.

New to BT and the world of tri's. I thought I was going to wait till next year to attempt my first but now thinking late August after reading and having several discussions here, as well as reading other books.

My bike is on order and should be here this week. Switched health clubs so that I have a place to swim. Looking for a swim coach to help me improve my technique, I want the best looking doggy paddle out there.

I'm 30 and live in Indianapolis, IN. Married with 2 kids (3 and 2 months).

I figure if I accomplish this goal, I'll actually end up saving money with lower life insurance premiums. haha
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lcsolutions Group - Re-OPENed! Rss Feed  

of 2