BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Older&Wiser Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2007-03-05 1:41 AM
in reply to: #652388

Subject: RE: Older&Wiser Group - FULL
Yes - a very nice poster.
After a week that passed not exactly as planned, I look forward to next week. Hope you all are well, or getting well, have a beautiful and productive week and I look forward reading about your adventures. Thanks for the check-mark.

2007-03-05 7:40 AM

Owasso
Help--I need to select a new program plan for the Sprint. The Sprint Tri that I wanted to compete in is now not available because it is limited to 200 participants and I did not sign up within 2 days of open registration. On top of, because of weather and work, I have not been able to stick to the 13 week plan that I started with that had 9 workout per week--3 in each discipline. It was a bit too aggressive.

I am able to consistently run 3 miles in 45 minutes, bike 6.5 miles in 36 minutes and swim 500 yards in about 20 minutes. I have tried running 2 miles on the treadmill, biking 6 miles on the recumbant bike and swimming 500 yards all in one swoop. I can do that but I started with the running, then bike then swim. Ok, I am slow but I get in the mileage.

I have the following times available:
45 minutes availabe at 5:30 am at the Y.
30 minutes available at lunch when at work (this is not consistently available)
Time between getting home from work and dinner or sunset

The weather has been warming up nicely. Yesterday it was 55 degrees. There is no outlook for more winter weather.

Remember, I have a life on top of tri training.

Malinda
2007-03-05 12:07 PM

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted in the last few days - we had some brutal weather come our way last Thursday - it took some people from our office 5 hours to get home. Fortunately my drive home was a mere 2 hour torture ride as opposed to the usual 35 min it would take me on an average day. We had quite a bit of snow, topped by freezing rain. We live in a very treed area and because of the heavy winds many branches (big branches) were knocked down causing some areas to lose electricity, as was the case with the kids school. I'm a big chicken when it comes to driving in these conditions so I opted to stay home Friday even if it meant spending the day with the kids and dog!!!!! Anyway, alls well that ends well right???

I must tell you, I watched an English movie (not Canadian, not American but English) last night while I was on the treadmill about this chap in his 50's wanting to swim across the english channel. Wow!!!! It was so inspirational and I can't wait to get to the pool tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear that everyone's on the road to recovery. So, we're off to the start of another month of good wholesome living with eating well and lots of physical activity.
2007-03-05 8:01 PM

NW Pennsylvania
Okay, so I finally am getting my act together and tried Lynne's "swolf" which is very cool. The process was interesting--and I hope I did it right: the first 50 I did was a "75", then the rest were all faster, the last being the fastest at 68--but pretty much every stroke count was about 23 strokes--I could improve my speed, but not lower my strokes much (at least not more than 1). Any tips? I was really concentrating on reaching and getting long. I forgot about the chest tip, though. I feel like I'm pretty much as fast and as efficient as I'll ever get, which I should be happy with, I know, since it isn't really about breaking any records or anything, but about being healthy and feeling good. Nonetheless, there is this part of me that wants to continue to try and improve...
2007-03-05 8:12 PM
in reply to: #711334

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Rose, do you remember the name of this movie?  I really need some good movies for my marathon sessions on the trainer.

playfulplatypus - 2007-03-05 8:40 AM Help--I need to select a new program plan for the Sprint.

Malinda, sorry to hear that you’re unable to register in your sprint tri, is that the Claremore tri? Hope you can find a substitute race, check out these calendars for OK tris and runs: http://www.trifind.net/nf/ok.htmlhttp://www.okrunner.com/calendar/smu.html

If you have the endurance to do a run, bike, swim tri, then a swim, bike and run tri of the same distance will definitely not be a problem because you can coast on bike, or walk on run if you’re tired at the end.  The most important thing is to build endurance, what we call LSD, long SLOW (slow is GOOD) distance, eg a long bike ride / long run, build 10% a week.

Technically, you’re supposed to pick your race, then pick a x-wk plan x wks before your race for proper tapering.  But don’t worry for now, just keep in mind you’ll have to tweak it later.  If the 3x plan is too aggressive, then check out the 2x plans below, all of them require 2-5hr/wk, which you’ve managed successfully.  I’ve linked them to the plan description, calendar and volume graph, so pick the one that best fits your schedule.  As the BT preamble says – "Re-organize the program around to suit your schedule.  JUST REMEMBER to keep the short sessions and Off days around the Long sessions."   Anytime you cannot fit in all the workouts, don’t worry, pick and focus on getting a few of the key ones in.  I think, in general, for sprints, if you can fit in 2-3hr of training a week, you’re fine.

Possible training plans with 2-5hr/wk:

I think Jennifer did some of these plans last year, how did you find it, Jennifer?  Jennifer also paid to be a silver member, so her plans are more detailed.   For those that are interested, take a look at Jennifer's logs, on the left hand side is a section called "Planned Training".  If you move your cursor to a date, you'll see that day's workout described in detail.   Jennifer, I hope you don't mind me sharing this info with the rest of the group.

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-05 8:17 PM
2007-03-05 10:22 PM
in reply to: #711083

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Patricia - thank you for the check mark and reminder about accepting the things I cannot change. I started getting worried that my healing wasn't progressing fast enough and I needed to be reminded that I'm still on schedule according to what the Dr. and I discussed and that all the worry in the world wasn't going to get me riding or running any quicker.

2007-03-05 10:51 PM
in reply to: #712605

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA

Jennifer

Keep working on the swolf. It sounds like you are getting the hang of it. The whole point of it is to find that balance between stroke count and speed. Just try it once a week or so and see if your score stays consistent and/or improves. You won't always improve and you won't always stay consistent. That is the nature of workouts - sometimes we have good days and sometimes we don't. 

Never forget that there is nothing wrong with wanting to continue to try and improve. : )

2007-03-06 7:43 AM
in reply to: #712612

NW Pennsylvania
Hi Rose, Patricia, everybody,
I don't mind at all folks checking out my (paid) plan. Patricia is correct. Last year (just about this time, in fact) I started with the Couch to Sprint 2x balanced; I think I chose the 20-week program (I think I am recalling that correctly) and that worked just fine for me as I was really just starting out in all sports (even though I ran a little in high school oh SO many years ago as a sprinter, I had no training in any of the tri sports). For me, going by the minutes was really fine, and the training lasted through about June, as I recall. I was on holiday with my family for most of July, and I think I started getting back into a training program by counting back from my 1st target race that was going to be in the beginning of Sept and picking up from the training at that point. I picked up a few swim tips from friends in the pool, but I had nothing like the great input I'm getting now in the Older & Wiser Group. Nonetheless, I finished my first tri, and felt pretty good about it--especially since it was literally my first time doing an open swim (I'm an ocean girl, but not an ocean swimmer in the way triathletes are--mostly just body surfing swimming!). That's just to say, the free couch to sprint programs work great. Well, that's more than you ever wanted to know about me and my training...
Jennifer

Edited by JHellwarth 2007-03-06 8:53 AM
2007-03-06 8:31 AM

Good morning everyone. I forgot my make-up bag at home today and a day without lipstick is a day without colour and I hate colourless days. Oh well!!!! Jennifer, thank you so much for sharing that information with me. I will go through the training schedule and see if I can make any sense of it - Patricia, thank you very much for the suggestion (I think).

Wolf, careful with all those emissions - you'll increase global warming and cause a huge whole in the atmosphere right over the Negev desert and then try and explain that.....ooops pardon me, did I say that out loud????

Jennifer, good for you for trying Swolf - I can't even understand what its all about even though I've read Lynne's definition 4 times. I guess I'm just not there yet.

Lynne, you plan to exercise while you are in New York City. Don't you people ever relax. You're starting to make me nervous. What did I sign up for. Addicted to exercise???? What is that? Man do I have a ways to go with the psychological issue.

Malinda, you must be delighted to be home and back to work and onlyyyyyyyyyy fitting in 4-5 hours of the physical stuff.

Don't know whether I should spend my lunch hour in the pool or buying lipstick. I guess I'll swim and try the "reach as far as you can, point your chest down to the bottom of the pool, pivot your body, don't forget to kick with your feet, don't forget to breath, don't swallow water and count your strokes" exercises in the pool. (I'm out of breath already).

Have a good day everyone.
2007-03-06 8:32 AM

Oooops, Patricia, I'll look at the TV Guide tonight and get the name of that movie for you.
2007-03-06 8:09 PM
in reply to: #712951

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Lynne, hope New York warms up when you go later in the week.  It’s frigid here, coldest day this winter, -23C/-9F, -33C/-27F with wind chill this morning.  Even I don’t go outside in this weather.

rblahuta - 2007-03-06 9:31 AM  I guess I'll swim and try the "reach as far as you can, point your chest down to the bottom of the pool, pivot your body, don't forget to kick with your feet, don't forget to breath, don't swallow water and count your strokes" exercises in the pool. (I'm out of breath already). Have a good day everyone.

Rose, are you sure you’re not a swim coach disguising as a newbie here?  That’s a wonderful summary of all the key swimming points.  Jennifer, whatever you’re doing, keep doing it, your swim has improved dramatically - these #’s from your logs:

• Dec 6, 06 – 2.2/100, Mar 2 – 1:50/100,
  • Feb 5 – 55sec/50, Mar 5 – swolf 68 – 23 strokes = 45sec/50?

That’s 15%+ improvement in a few months.  Generally a 5-10% improvement per year in the beginning is very good.  If you can maintain 2:00/100 over 700yds, you’d complete the Highmark swim in 14min, a 5+min or 25%+ improvement!  So just continue to build endurance so you can hold that pace and form for longer.  Pace and stroke count will improve with improved endurance and form, and increased strength and range of motion.

Like they say in Finding Nemo - Just keep swimming swimming swimming (click for audio clip)

Stroke count can also be reduced if you delay your pull, i.e. don’t start pulling right away, wait till your recovery arm is at 10-11 o’clock position, but not quite a full catch-up. They call it "front-quadrant swimming".  Some tri coaches now suggest this, ‘cos you get more glide, but this is not entirely w/o controversy.   Any thoughts on this, Lynne?

I think we all want to improve by virtue of the fact that we join this forum.  I, for one, would like to swim like a fish one day -

"Possibilities - The greatest waste in the world is the difference between what we are and what we could become"

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-14 8:14 PM

2007-03-06 8:59 PM
in reply to: #714031

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA

Most of my coaches and the various clinics I've attended taught "front quadrant" swimming. Our coaches were always reminding us not to rush our pull. I'll have to think about it a little more when I can get back in the pool and try it out again. (Hopefully on Wednesday or Thursday.)

2007-03-08 7:38 AM

Owasso
Off topic: Ok, how many of us are old enough to remember roller skating on four wheels with a wooden floor? Well, there is where I got invited last night to go skating. It had the black light and disco ball. Don't forget you have to do the arm symbols to YMCA to get the full experience! Then you need to moon dance on skates to Thriller. I haven't skated in ages. I remember doing my compulsarys on roller skates almost 35 years ago. Last night, I was lucky to go forward and not land on my bum. Luckily, it was adult skate night so no limbo nor shoot the duck competitiions.
2007-03-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: #715692

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
playfulplatypus - 2007-03-08 5:38 AM

Off topic: Ok, how many of us are old enough to remember roller skating on four wheels with a wooden floor? Well, there is where I got invited last night to go skating. It had the black light and disco ball. Don't forget you have to do the arm symbols to YMCA to get the full experience! Then you need to moon dance on skates to Thriller. I haven't skated in ages. I remember doing my compulsarys on roller skates almost 35 years ago. Last night, I was lucky to go forward and not land on my bum. Luckily, it was adult skate night so no limbo nor shoot the duck competitiions.

Wow, I didn't know there was anyplace like that left. I remember skate parties at Rollerama in the town I grew up in. Fun times! I think the last time I roller skated on 4 wheels was more than 35 years ago.
2007-03-08 12:14 PM

I bring my kids to Scooters Roller palace and they have both the inline and rollerblades, disco ball, YMCA etc and they have a hoot. They also do line-dancing on skates. One of these days I'll muster up the courage to join them - Wow Malinda, you must of had a blast!
2007-03-09 1:32 PM

Hi friends
Sorry for the mute line from here. I did not manage to get anything done since I had to be in the north –Tel Aviv and Jerusalem on short notice. Besides that, my neck stiffened and I was walking around like a robot – could not even think of working out.
I'm still with a cold but it's getting better every day.
Hope you all are well. Did not have time to catch up on all the exciting news but I shall do that maybe tomorrow. Today I threw myself into action – to be dramatic as usual - to rescue my low standing and pump it up a bit.
More details tomorrow.
Be well
wolf

2007-03-11 7:27 PM

Owasso
I went loooking for a new bike today because it was raining. I was suprised when the salesperson told me that until I was ready to go to dropped handlebars, it would not pay off to get a new bike. I tried out some dropped handlebars and I am not used to that position at all. I have never been comfortable in the down position. Other than getting toe clips, the salesperson recommended that I stay with the bike that I have. It was unusual to have that recommendation.
2007-03-11 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Hi all,

Great week - after a difficult week last week for many, everyone that has a taller bar this week should give yourself a pat on the back and gets a √, that’s Wolf, Lynne, Jennifer and Malinda.  (Don’t know if I owe √ to Rose and Angelo, as you haven’t logged yet.  Will revise standings if necessary.)

I’m pleased to report that Lynne’s stitches have come off and the workhorse is BACK! Malinda too is back from her TX mission.  She’s picked a new plan and set an all time high on her chart.  On top of that, she received a well-deserved Army Achievement Medal for Civilian Service for her work during the ice storm.  Malinda, we’re so proud of you!  We, of course, recognize your achievement with a √ way back in wk 2.  And that bike store salesperson is very honest, hard to find.  I absolutely agree with him.  Dropped handlebars put you in a more aerodynamic position, thus reduces wind resistance so you can go faster, hence his recommendation. 

Wolf continues to battle his cough, has to go to Tel Aviv and Jerusalem on short notice, yet somehow still manages to blog and capture our hearts and imagination with his colourful stories and his unique way of seeing humour and beauty in everything he does, then he proceeds to log ~400min on the chart, send inspires to each and everyone of us, and to top it off, post some truly jaw dropping pictures.  I’ve a picture in my album where I quoted Charles Dickens in which he says of Chamonix, "I cannot imagine anything in nature more stupendous or sublime".  I’m not sure Dickens visited where Wolf is.  Wolf, what do you do for a living, may I ask – a professional photographer? A writer maybe? A standup comedian? Or a wise rabbi perhaps?  I could not have picked a better name for the group, Wolf, my Older&Wiser friend.  I wish I could give you a gold medal for your inspiration, but all I can give is another √ for you -

Award

Wolf

Lynne

Jennifer

Malinda

Rose

Patricia

Angelo

1. most inspiring training session – Jan 17

2. toughing it out

3. coolest idea – "swolf"

4. raising the bar

5. inspiring race / pictures

6. breakthrough wt loss

7. Older&Wiser

8. raising the bar / gold medal of inspiration-Wolf

√√

Overall winner – TBA

Rose, Jennifer and I continue to make steady progress. As Wolf said on his Mar 9 blog – Life’s good, what more can I say…

"A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions."   Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

from Wolf’s album: Water drop - zin-zen of Ein Akev (nahal zin)

N.B. BT is messing me up, changing each page from 35 posts to 30, so our collective wisdom post is no longer on top.  Will have to do sth about that.  It's here.

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-24 8:42 PM
2007-03-12 8:59 AM

Good morning everyone. Well Patricia I'm sad to report that I will not get a check this week because I was extremely delinquent this week end. I already felt very guilty because I shrugged all my household responsibilities but now I feel even worse. (I must admit, I write this with a very mischievious smile on my face). Saturday I stayed in my jammies all day and just read. Adam lit a beautiful fire and had it going all day and I got lost in this most amazing book and just couldn't tear my eys off the pages. Sunday was a repeat of Saturday only on Sunday I actually got out of my jammies and cooked one meal. So needless to say I did not exercise but I did finish my book and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The book is called "The Secret Book of Grazia del Rossi" by Jacqueline Park. Its fiction, takes place in 15th century Italy and its the story of the struggle of the Italian Jews in that era. Lots of history, culture, love and war. I just loved it. Oh well, I will make up for my delinquency this week both to you guys and my family. Happy Monday everyone. Wolf I love the pictures. Do you actually have to drive to this area or do you just exit your front door and are greeted by this magnificent panorama? I know... we Canadians ask alot of questions.

2007-03-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: #719622

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Rose, sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful weekend, well, the kind I like anyway, doing what you enjoy.  But also good that you feel guilty so you'll mend your wicked ways this week, which will most certainly guarantee you a checkmark for next week.  Everything we do has consequences, pay now or pay later, that's the choice we have to make.   Did you manage to find the name of that movie you're talking about? 

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-12 11:33 AM
2007-03-12 11:29 AM

Hi my friends
Thank you, Patricia for your kind remarks – it surely makes me feel good that you liked the photographs. What am I doing for a living? I wish I would be doing some of the things you listed but…no, I work as a technician in the center for desert architecture. We look for contemporary solutions to make living in the desert as comfortable and desirable as living in more moderate climate zones, limiting ourselves to passive energy only. No air-conditioning in the summer and almost no heating in winter.
In case you are interested if this is possible? Sure is.
Maybe it is all the better that I can do what I enjoy most as a dilettante – in the original sense of the word – someone who likes doing what he or she does…. a hobby.
To answer Rose's question …no I don't have to drive to any of the places I photographed with the exception of the red flowers which I photographed about 45min car ride from sede boqer – where we live. All the other photographs were actually photographed before I had to go to work or in the early hours of weekend days. I can just walk or sometimes I bike to these places most of which I can reach within 10 -20min walking.
Malinda, it's only in America that you get service like this, I believe. Well, maybe also in Canada but I have no experience with buying things there. I can tell you story after story about my shopping experiences in the states, about how well people are treated and how friendly and accommodating customer service usually is.
In my country this is by far not the same. One gets excellent service if one is within the haverim loop (circle of friends or long time customers) if not, forget it.
Lynne I am flabbergasted how quickly you recovered from your operation and got back to what you really enjoy the most it seems….working out. I am happy for you that you got back so quickly.
Jennifer you work like a swiss watch – very precise and predictable – never missing a beat. Amazing.
Patricia, what the heck are you up to, to work so hard. Holy moly I get dizzy only looking at your workouts of the last few days. And last but not least… Thanks a lot for taking all the time to help us out here. You yourself should get double checkmarks for that, but at least you deserve a round of applause. Thank you.
So for next week all the power to you my friends and have fun, I'll try as well

2007-03-12 7:31 PM
in reply to: #719925

NW Pennsylvania
Wolf, Patricia, everybody--
You are all really quite inspirational--these last few days I have felt pretty tired and really unmotivated, but knowing that you are all out there ready to send me little notes of encouragement and that you are out there doing amazing workouts keeps me going even when I've got too much work to do, a husband out of town, and two kids to take care of. So, thanks to you all! I hope to get a bit more back on track in the next few days...no Swiss watch here!
2007-03-14 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Lynne is going out of town for a few days but has found some swim videos on the internet which she'll explain to us later.  Really looking forward to it.  Jennifer, if not a swiss watch, at least a Timex, just keeps on ticking.   Speaking of Timex, I, of course, wear an Ironman model.  On all test swims, I set the countdown timer to beep at a goal pace every 50m, so I know whether to speed up or slow down.  Don't know whether that's cheating a bit, but it's a good exercise in pacing.   Another midweek swim picture that I'd like to share, head position is a bit high on this one, don't you think?  But that's ok, he's got a whole lifetime to work on it -

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-24 8:43 PM
2007-03-14 12:25 PM

Hi everyone. I'm taking a few days off work so I won't be posting again until Monday. I hope you guys have a great week.
2007-03-15 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Hey, I found another nice swim picture of Lynne in action -

Hope some of you like the pictures I've been posting.  BTW, I've now uploaded all the pics previously posted onto a separate album.

Edited by patricia7 2007-03-24 8:44 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Older&Wiser Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9