BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2007-01-15 1:38 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full

Name: De Cracker aka Gullahcracker aka Russ. All who tread here do so at the risk of becoming motivated and addicted to this sport. Combat veterans and hard drinking women are accepted here as well as the doper and the peace activist. De Cracker discriminates against very few men and no women.

Story: Heading into 3rd year of tris. Was a 50 y/o overweight 2 pack a day smoker who got winded operating the remote. Quit smoking and lost 50 lbs. Started running, biking, and swimming as a means to maintain my health. Served  in Marines as both enlisted and as an officer. Was married for nearly 20 years, then widowed, and have been married now for almost 10 years. I have two great boys/young men..18 and 16 who are themselves good athletes. The wife tolerates the tri lifestyle and that's a big help. She realizes the good that it does me and therefore it also benefits her as well. I live in beautiful Beaufort, South Carolina. I like to fish and sail but my time is consumed with work, family, and training.

Current Training: Sufferred some injuries last year related to bike wrecks and overtraining. Had stress fractures in both hips and left leg. Have healed up and now on the straight and narrow. I train for at least 2 hours a day 5-6 days a week. The training varies but currently I'm doing a lot of core work and indoor cycling. Runs are presently limited to 10K or less. I train at our local YMCA where I do the core/step/interval routines and the spinning. We have a very nice indoor heated pool and a well equipped weight room. I'm also half way to my weight loss goal. My weight loss strategy is old school. I have an excellent PT who patches me up and provides wise counsel.

Last Years Races:  Last year I participated in 3 sprints, 3 Olympic distance, and 1 Half Iron distance. I also participated in 2 bike races and several 5 and 10 K's and 1 adventure race.

This year's races: Plan to do the Hunting Is. Adventure race, the Parris Is Sprint (hometown race), a Tri America race, at least 2 Olympic distance races, and my "A" race will once again be the South Carolina HIM where ( due to last years bop finish) I hope to redeem myself before my friends, family and ancestors.

Weight loss: Maintaining  healthy weight and body fat is a constant struggle. If I'm not careful I'll start to put on the pounds and that's big trouble for running and cycling. I use old school techniques which are not easy but they work.

Edited by De Cracker 2007-01-19 8:03 AM

2007-01-16 11:02 AM
in reply to: #655191

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) OPEN
Hey, Cracker! Looks like I'll finally get to meet you cuz I'm signed up for Parris Island this year. Wish I could be a part of two groups cuz I'm already in one. Would love to get a local's perspective of the SC races and my end all, be all A race is the SC half, too. Glad you are starting off the year healthy!

Pam

2007-01-16 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
West Chester, OH
Hey Cracker,

As long as you’re not discriminating – got room?
NAME: mykle15 / Michael

STORY:
I’m 30 years old with a mostly desk job (I travel about 10 weeks or long weekends per year), I get pumped up about training but my problem is consistency. I was very active in high school and into college but even then I yo-yoed a lot in regards to weight/fitness. I guess I’m about 50 lbs too heavy right now but I’ve been able to turn it on in the past to get in shape – although I’m now noticing that it’s not quite as easy as the years roll on. I did an Oly about 3.5 years ago and posted what I thought was a respectable 3:17. I would consider it a minor miracle if I can regain that level in 15 weeks for St. Anthony. As I said, I like to work out; my problem is that I also really like to eat, drink and watch TV.
FAMILY STATUS:
I’m married (9 months) without children. My family is very active consisting of marathoners tri’ers and an IM’er. My siblings (and siblings-in-law) and I made a 3:00AM pact last fall to do an IM in ’08. We’re starting with St. Anthony this year and then going from there. My wife signed up for the Oly with us but she has no desire the go any farther (at least there’s one smart one in the group).
CURRENT TRAINING:
I just started a 16 week balanced Olympic program and my travel schedule has already gotten in the way. I don’t have any problem hitting the hotel gym but my “business trips” are usually very active so I have to consider them cross-training days and sacrifice some workouts.
LAST YEAR'S RACES:
Disney Marathon – VERY VERY poorly (didn’t train properly and got injured – I deserved it)
Resolution 5k on Dec 31st – I ran this with my wife and it was just a kick-start to our training. My only goal was to run the whole thing which I did in a turtlesque 33 minutes.
2007 RACES:
FAU wellness sprint (April 15th), St. Anthony Oly (April 29th), MAYBE a HIM

WEIGHTLOSS:
I’m about 220 right now and I figure I’d be very trim at about 165-170. I’ll settle for getting below 200 in the short-term.

CURRENT TRAINING PLAN:
16 week balanced Olympic program from BT
2007-01-16 8:06 PM
in reply to: #656283

User image

Elite

barqhead - 2007-01-16 12:02 PM Hey, Cracker! Looks like I'll finally get to meet you cuz I'm signed up for Parris Island this year. Wish I could be a part of two groups cuz I'm already in one. Would love to get a local's perspective of the SC races and my end all, be all A race is the SC half, too. Glad you are starting off the year healthy! Pam

Pam, good to see you training and getting ready for the upcoming season. Even though you aren't technically in my group please do not hesitate to ask about any of the SCTS races. It would be my priviledge to ry to answer any question you may have especially about PI or about the HIM. Take care.

2007-01-16 8:28 PM
in reply to: #656868

User image

Elite

Michael, Welcome aboard and congratulations on your decision to tri. I know you will find it as rewarding as it is challenging. It seems you're on the right track. You've chosen a training plan and you have set a reasonable racing schedule. If I follow your writing correctly it would seem that your concerns are:

Travel/training conflicts

Weight loss.

Many things will conflict with your training. The demands of family, work, education, etc can't be overruled by your desire to train. Keep your priorities ie wife, work, everything else. Training is sometimes about sacrifices and not at your wife's or work's expense but at yours. Organize your time carefully. Train early, or train late. Make use of available technology. Make sure to pack the MP3 and have some good aerobic downloads. After a long day go back to the hotel, double bolt the door and do aerobics for 30 mins. Tune into Fit TV. If the weather permits hit the pavement for a nice run. The sacrifices you make for training will fuel your desire to meet your goals. When you get to race day the effort will be worth the lost sleep and early runs.

As for the weight loss, easy does it. Michael I believe you have to watch what you eat, control your portions, and stay focused. Strive for 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per week. That's 12-15 lbs by St. A's. You know the drill. No sweets, no snacks, no heavy drinking. Plenty of fruits, veggies, and lean protein. When you become tired or exhausted your willpower suffers. Stay strong and well rested and you'll find yourself cruising towards your weightloss goals.

I'll check in every few days. Hang tough, train hard.

btw I did St. A's last year and it was a fabulous time. You will meet a ton of BTers and have a blast. If you hear horror stories of last years swim, believe them for it was brutal.

2007-01-17 10:25 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Hello! I would like to join your group...if you'll have me! My name is Jocelyn and I am 32 years old. I chose this group because I too need to lose weight and am using triathlon training as a way to do it.

Story: I was a swimmer in junior high and high school. I swam for fun in college. I used to be a thin, athletic person. I got married, I got older...yada, yada, yada...I gained a lot of weight. Luckily I have never gotten totally away from exercise, so I've kept some muscle tone and am one of those girls that "carries my weight well". I've always enjoyed bike riding and even got into running in college. In college I wanted to do a triathlon, but couldn't find time to train. Since then I have always felt that if I got back in shape, I'd do one. Then, in September I found out that there is a triathlon in my town (Long Beach, CA), and I was inspired. I made a resolution to do next year's tri and take that year to train and lose weight. I was scared that it wasn't possible until I found the book "Slow, Fat Triathlete" by Jayne Williams. She overcame more obstacles and weight than I did to become a triathlete, so I feel that I can too. I recently also joined Weight Watcher's since I realized that I needed to not only exercise daily, but also control my food. So...four months down...eight to go until tri time!

Current Training: I began swimming laps again last June. I stuggled to swim even a few laps without being sore, but am now doing about 40 solid minutes, twice a week. I began walking in September for an hour at a time. I wanted to build up my calves to avoid shin splits, and in November started adding in some light jogging. I now do a 60 minute fast walk, with 5 one minute runs mixed in, twice a week. In October I started biking. I did 20 minutes of slow riding and was in pain. Since then, I have fixed up a mountain bike and am now doing 35 strong minutes, twice a week. In November, I got back into the gym using weight machines. There are 8 machines that I do 3 sets of 15 reps on, twice a week. I'm getting stronger every day and the distances of a sprint tri seem closer everyday. Also, I bought a kayak this summer and in the warmer months, do a 2 hour kayak once a week as well.

Previous races - NONE! I'm a tri-virgin!

This year's races - As I said, I plan to do the Long Beach Triathlon in September. If all goes well I would also like to do the Day at the Beach Tri in Hermosa Beach in October and the Catalina Triathlon in Avalon in November.

Weight Loss - I didn't lose any pounds in the first 3 months of training, though my clothes got looser. I can only hope that means that I was gaining muscle as I was losing fat. Since joining Weight Watchers last month, I have dropped 12 pounds. I would like to lose a minimum of 100 pounds more...though 130 would put me at an ideal weight.

2007-01-18 5:37 AM

User image

Elite

Well Jocelyn you are an inspiration to me and I say Welcome Aboard and let's get headed towards your goal. Congratulations on choosing triathlons as your avenue of renewed health and fitness. You have made a wise choice also in joining BT. Here you will find many others seeking the same goal as yours. You are already on track for success. Weight Watchers is an excellent weight loss venue IFyou combine it with exercise. So many folks don't and have poor results. Diet....and....exercise is the key. You will see fantastic results, but never forget that we want steady progress.

OK a few tips for you. If you don't have a heart rate monitor get one and let me know when you have it so I can offer some tips that worked for me. Women are going to have some periodic weight issues that guys don't, don't let that depress you, just expect it and move on with training. Of the three disciplines you will see the greatest impact from the bike. I know it's painful for you but as you become accustomed to the bike and as your leg strength improves the pain will subside. The bike is low impact and will enable you to get into a HR zone that will max your fat burning potential. Walking is second best. Swimming will be your best aerobic training for now. I'll check on you often and look forward to seeing you make your goals.

Russ 

2007-01-18 2:11 PM

Wisconsin
Hi, My name is Joe and 26 years old. My goal is first and for most is to finish my first tri. Secondly I am going to be using the tri training as a tool for weightloss along with proper diet.

Story: As a kid I was very very active. Playing basketball, riding my bike, playing football, and swimming in high school I got very interested in computers and thats when my activity pretty much stopped. For about the past ten years I have been inactive with very little exercise. In November a client of mine told me about a local triathlon he had done and was planning on doing it again next year. After talking to him for a long time and a lot of thinking. I decided I wanted to give tri's a go. I knew that if I entered I would stay motivated because I'm highly competitive.

Family: Recently married (7 months) no kids

Current Training: I have been weight training for the past 2 months, along with regular walking since November. I also have been using a recumbent bike a little bit in october. For Christmas I got a bike trainer that I just recently started using. I do not plan on starting the swimming portion of the training until the weather warms in my neck of the woods (Wisconsin) as I plan to swim in a near by lake. I also have my first tri-club meeting on Monday the 22nd.

This Year's Races: The Pewaukee Triathlon and if all goes well I will do the Devils Challenge Triathlon as well. (both are sprint distance)

Weight Loss: I have 100+ pounds to lose also I already own a heart rate monitor

So if you still have room in your group I would like to join!
Thank you
Joe
2007-01-18 6:47 PM

User image

Elite

Joe, Welcome to the group. You've made a great decision to use tri's as your means of improved health and fitness. Write and let me know what your diet strategy is and if I can offer any advice. How much time do you have to devote to training on a weekly basis? Is there a gym or Y nearby which you use? Don't forget to fill out those daily training logs. The path to losing a hundred pounds begins with losing a single gram. You didn't gain it overnight nor will you lose it overnight but you will meet your goal. Steady progress is the key. Let's lose the fat and keep the muscle and we do that by reducing somewhat slowly but always combining diet with exercise. I'll check your logs over the next few days and I'll add you to my list. Thanks for joining BT, and trust me ..I get so inspired seeing guys putting forth the effort to succeed in this age when everybody wants everything easy and they want it now. That's not how the sport of triathlon works. It's about training, learning, sweating out little achievments, and getting better. Again I Welcome you to the TricracKletes. We're gonna become better atheletes and have fun at the same time.

Russ

2007-01-18 9:12 PM

New user

Saint Louis, MO
Still have room?

My name is Kim. I'm 31, married, two kids (ages 3 and 5). Always been on the verge of being in shape but never gotten there. I spent three months on total bedrest with each pregnancy and could just about watch my muscles atrophy. I gained 50 pounds with my second pregnancy and only lost 30 afterwards.

Last year I started the couch to tri program on this site and got 3 months in, realized I had actually GAINED 5 pounds, got bitter and quit. Now I'm not so concerned about the weight loss, just want to be in shape and be able to finish a triathlon.

My big hurdle is finding the time to train. Especially the swimming, and that's my favorite part. Also my husband is one of those obnoxious people who can not run for a month, then go out and run 6 miles like nothing. Plus he can eat whatever he wants and somehow the extra pounds jump over to MY hips. He's done a triathlon and is training for the Disney marathon in 2008. The run is my least favorite part of the tri, so I'm not real interested in the marathoning, but if I could finish a tri this year or next... that would really be great.

Races: None.

My program: the couch to 5k in 4 months for now. Hope to tack the couch to sprint on after that one.
2007-01-18 9:35 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
I forgot a few things...

I was so focused on the tri related stuff that I forgot to mention that I am a high school science teacher. I have been married almost ten years, have a 5 year old daughter and a 4 year old son.

Russ, I will definitely look into heart monitors this week. Also, I see that there are blogs one this website. Can anyone start one? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks!
Jocelyn

2007-01-19 12:23 AM

User image

Hi! Would like to join your group, if there's still room.

Fell out of a tree a couple of weeks ago retrieving son's plane. PT and I started talking about the triathlons she's training for and it sounds pretty interesting.

Fair shape--other than the bruises! Ran track in highschool, but not much since then. Fair swimmer--really enjoy it, but need some stroke work--leaning toward total immersion style. Bike occassionally. Have only a mountain bike which will have to do. Plan to work my way into this pretty slowly. Would like to try a short sprint in mid-March, if I'm in good enough condition. Most interested in seeing if I can finish. Actually, that's not wholly true. Most interested in seeing if I can keep up with training! I'm notorious for starting things but not finishing.

Homeschool two boys (4 and 8). Both are interested in trying their own triathlons, so we've agreed to train together (they'll run me into the ground, no doubt!). There's a youth tri in August. Both should be able to compete, since the younger one turns 5 this year.

Want to be a good example when the going gets tough.

Oh, and my 40th birthday is Saturday, so this should be a good year!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Pogo

2007-01-19 5:06 AM

User image

Elite

Kim and Wendy, Welcome to the Tricrackletes. The two of you give us five but I think I'll leave it open for one more. Kim I hope being a member of this team plus belonging to BT will make a difference this time. We are here to inspire and motivate each other so that we all (myself included) meet this years goals. I see a nice 5k finish in your near future.

Wendy, first of all, stay out of the trees. I'm proof that we can't train or workout injured.

Make sure to fill out your logs as you train or workout. Make sure your logs are open to the public else I can't look in on you. Most of you have chosen a plan. If you haven't or if you're not sure you've chosen the right plan, then let's talk about it. I would suggest that before choosing a plan you first realistically determine how much time you can devote to training. As I've said before, do not train at the expense of your family or work. Look at your week and see where you can fit in training and then study the training options. Then realize that the plan is not a Commandment from God. You can miss a day and not be sentenced to eternity in Hell.

Later today I hope to write more to each of you but that's enough for now. Thanks for joining BT and Thanks for becoming Tricrackletes. This is going to be a fun ride.

2007-01-19 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I'm really new here - like about 30 minutes since I got my login password but I was told about the site from someone on peer trainer and wondered if you'd mind if I joined you group?

NAME: Kate_R /Kate
STORY: I've been interested in the idea of triathlon for a number of years. I'm 34 and live in Glasgow, Scotland. I need to loose about 69lbs but am determined to get there with completion of a sprint tri as my goal. I have lost and gained lots of weight in the past and know that sticking with it is the key so I'm hoping that this site will help. I'm a strong swimmer, cycling's O.K. but really poor runner and am now starting off gently while also tending to my knees (I had physio last year for pain and am going back to getting them in shape again).

FAMILY STATUS: I'm engaged but my partner is anti gym and prefers to dive or climb and I join him when I can.

CURRENT TRAINING: Walk/run sessions currently between 20 – 30 minutes, swim 30 minutes and cycle 20 minutes with strength training and Pilates for core muscles and upper body.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
None – I’m also a tri virgin

2007 RACES: I’d like to do a sprint sometime in the Fall

WEIGHTLOSS: Need to loose 69 lbs currently following reduced calorie, low fat, low GI diet

CURRENT TRAINING PLAN: I’m planning on using the 16 wk Sprint – 2x balanced for the next 4 months

Edited by Kate_r 2007-01-19 7:46 AM
2007-01-19 8:02 AM

User image

Elite
Kate Welcome to our group. I was hoping to get a more international flavor with the tricrackletes and you've made my day. Good to see you've selected a plan and have your goals in mind. Just remember to log your training and check here often. I'll be writing more later today. 
2007-01-19 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
MA
Subject: RE: DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full
I would like to join your group if I may.

NAME: ChadTower
STORY: I am a complete beginner to triathlons though I do have at least the basic skills required. I spent my entire childhood on my bike so I'm comfortable there. I lifeguard certified as a teen and can swim as well as my conditioning will allow. 4 years ago I was a lower intermediate powerlifter and the last two years was playing semipro football. I am 31 years old, 5-10 and 218lb at about 24% bodyfat. I would like to complete a sprint (that is the short one, yes?) triathlon in 2007. I am currently in the end stages of rehab from a light back injury and live with a pair of slightly herniated discs I'll have to manage (L4-L5 and L5-S1).

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 elementary school age sons.

CURRENT TRAINING: I need to devise a plan for this. Currently, my exercise level is a weekly 1 hour Pilates class (flexibility and strength in the core - for the back) and a weekly half hour of machine based isolation strength training also for the core.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:
None.

2007 RACES: I’d like to do a sprint sometime in the Fall as well.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to get down to about 14% bodyfat which I think would be somewhere in the area of 20-25lb lost.

CURRENT TRAINING PLAN: Pending. I am truly just starting out with this post.

EDIT: I apologize if your group is already full, it is listed in the sticky topic as being open. I see the subject line now says full, though, so I'm not sure if I would be in or if I need to find another group.

Edited by chadtower 2007-01-19 9:56 AM

2007-01-19 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
MA

Received a welcoming PM from DeCracker so I'm in! Thank you so much, I appreciate the welcome, and look forward to getting to know the group. I am now following the rest of the instructions, adding the group to my friends list in the training log control panel, etc.
2007-01-19 10:56 AM

User image

Elite

OK Tricrackletes our really really last member is Chad so be sure to add everyone to your list in your Training page menu.

• Check on and inspire each other as often as possible.
  • Ask questions and give answers when you can help. We all bring something special to the forum. De Cracker is the smartest man on earth but he's fictional. Russ doesn't have all the answers but he tries.
  • A word of caution about DeCracker. He's a jive pimpster trapped in the body of an aging southern white man. He thinks he's smart, cute, and funny but you decide. Put him in his place if you have to, just be gentle.
  • "Training" is anything we do that is triathlon specific, ie swim, bike, run, transition. Anything else done to enhance our fitness is referred to as "working out" so log training as training and working out as workouts or exercise.
  • Please log your weight at least once a week. I'll log mine on Tuesday night since I weigh in every Tuesday. I'm right there in the weight loss boat with you.
  • Promise me that you will diet and exercise. You have to do both to be effective.
  • Use whatever diet you wish but just resign yourself to the fact that donuts, cakes, candy bars, soft drinks, and all the other "good" stuff is now dietary history. We're gonna be sugar free, low cal, high output tri monsters.
  • Get your rest. Late night binges can't happen if you're asleep. Willpower is directly related to rest and strength. Find an alternate "feel good" for food.
  • Everyone needs a heart rate monitor. I want each of you to spend time each day exercising in your 60% zone. For starters we will consider your max to be 220 minus your age. 60% of max puts you in prime fat burning range and helps develope your aerobic base. 30-60 mins in this range is the minimum.
  • Check this forum daily. I will be addding tips. These will be "Gettin' Mo Better" tips. (see I told you he was a jive pimpster). They will range from exercises to training tips to transition tips to diet to whatever.
  • I want to see you all meet your goal which you all have set. How about some milestones? I knew a month ago that I needed to loose 30 pounds. Thats my goal but my milestones are, each 10 pounds, the Hunting Is Adventure race, and a Century ride. I know that by reaching each milestone I will meet my weight loss goal and my goal of a better racing season. btw I'm down 10 lbs despite the holidays.
  • Stay involved. Inspire one another, participate in the BT forums, don't limit you logs to just training and workouts. Log in those things that are good or bad in your life or things that are bugging you. Someone here may be able to help.
  • OK, get to crackin'!!!
2007-01-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: #660682

User image

Expert
MA
  • "Training" is anything we do that is triathlon specific, ie swim, bike, run, transition. Anything else done to enhance our fitness is referred to as "working out" so log training as training and working out as workouts or exercise.

• I guess I still need to figure out how to denote the difference... I logged my most recent exercise but I'm not sure where to mark it as exercise or training.

• Get your rest. Late night binges can't happen if you're asleep. Willpower is directly related to rest and strength. Find an alternate "feel good" for food.

• This might be my biggest challenge. I forgot to mention I suffer from moderate to severe (think 7 on 1 to 10) obstructive sleep apnea. I sleep like crap. A great night for me is 5 hours of stop and start sleep. A bad night is none at all and "waking up" with a hangover like I spent the night in a vat of Jack Daniels (without having done so - oxygen deprivation). I have a CPAP that I never quite got the hang of sleeping with and relearning to use that well is going to be my best initial major goal.

• Everyone needs a heart rate monitor. I want each of you to spend time each day exercising in your 60% zone. For starters we will consider your max to be 220 minus your age. 60% of max puts you in prime fat burning range and helps develope your aerobic base. 30-60 mins in this range is the minimum.

• Mathematically, that puts me at 113 if I did it right (220 - 31 then * .6). Is that wrong? Maybe it's my 100% short burst background (powerlifting and football are like that) but 113 doesn't sound like I did it right. I'm used to working out in the 170-180 range. Maybe this is a way of thinking I need to change for an endurance sport?

2007-01-19 11:50 AM

User image

Elite
    I know it sounds low but you want to burn fat and not just glycogen and muscle. It's a slow burn. Most folks get to 60% walking briskly or riding a bike at a medium pace. You're probably used to working out at 90% plus but for now we don't need the explosive burst  but rather a nice slow base. Don't worry there will be plenty of sweat soon enough.
    2007-01-19 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
    MA

I'll definitely have to figure out how to keep my mind engaged for long periods at that heart rate.

2007-01-19 1:02 PM

New user

Saint Louis, MO
    Hey, this heart rate monitor you speak of. Any guidelines for what we're looking for here? Seems to be a huge price range-- my husband has one on his watch (?) but he doesn't use it.
    2007-01-19 1:20 PM
    in reply to: #660884

User image

Elite
    riceowl - 2007-01-19 2:02 PM Hey, this heart rate monitor you speak of. Any guidelines for what we're looking for here? Seems to be a huge price range-- my husband has one on his watch (?) but he doesn't use it.
    Doesn't have to expensive. I have one that cost $50 and a Polar that cost $300. The Polar never worked right. The less expensive model which I bought at a CVS Pharmacy is 3 years old and still doing the job. Check your local drug store unless you want one with all the bells and whistles.
    2007-01-19 1:22 PM
    in reply to: #660918

User image

Expert
    MA
    De Cracker - 2007-01-19 1:20 PM

riceowl - 2007-01-19 2:02 PM Hey, this heart rate monitor you speak of. Any guidelines for what we're looking for here? Seems to be a huge price range-- my husband has one on his watch (?) but he doesn't use it.
    Doesn't have to expensive. I have one that cost $50 and a Polar that cost $300. The Polar never worked right. The less expensive model which I bought at a CVS Pharmacy is 3 years old and still doing the job. Check your local drug store unless you want one with all the bells and whistles.

PSST - I work for CVS and get a pretty good discount, usable at CVS.com, which probably could be used to ship items to other people (not limited to heart rate monitors).
    2007-01-19 8:39 PM
    in reply to: #660779

User image

Expert
    MA
    De Cracker - 2007-01-19 11:50 AM

I know it sounds low but you want to burn fat and not just glycogen and muscle. It's a slow burn. Most folks get to 60% walking briskly or riding a bike at a medium pace. You're probably used to working out at 90% plus but for now we don't need the explosive burst but rather a nice slow base. Don't worry there will be plenty of sweat soon enough.

Started. Just finished 45 minutes on the elliptical, level 2. Not very hard at any point but I did notice my heart rate creeping well above 60% at times. I start to see what you mean about the aerobic base.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DeCracker's Group ( de tricrackletes) Full Rss Feed  

of 6