of 8

2007-01-17 5:07 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: Matchman's Group - FULL!

Hi all,

My name's Tom, aka Matchman here on BT.

I'm 30 years old living in Minneapolis with my lovely wife, Kathryn and our dog, Newman. In my professional life I'm a healthcare consultant for a giant health insurance company. I also sing semi-professionaly with the Minnesota Opera and my barbershop quartet, After Midnight.

As for my start in tri life, about two years ago a couple of friends were kicking around the idea of doing a relay tri. At that point I was pretty much a couch potato. I've always been "active" and enjoyed the outdoors and such but never was an athlete or a consistent exerciser. Anyhow, this relay meant that one of us was going to have to swim nearly a mile, bike 25 and run 6.2. The runner was an obvious choice as she'd been a collegiate track and CC runner and is now a marathoner. It was between me and the other guy for the swim. I think it was decided based on his statement that "there's no way you're getting this 6' 2" 250 pound fata$$ to swim a mile". So, there I was with the challenge and no real swimming skills to speak of other than having grown up swimming in the lakes and rivers here in MN. I trained pretty hard for about 8 weeks leading up to the race but had no strategy and no experience swimming that far in open water. Race morning came and the atmostphere at the lake was electric. This was a huge event with the top pros racing for $200K. My wave went off just after the pros so I figured that's how we should all take off from the line. The gun went off and I went blazing into the water and hit the first 100 yards like freakin' Michael Phelps. That was the beginning of the end. 55 minutes later, I was dragging my butt up the beach feeling like I'd learned about a thousand lessons that day. More importantly, it lit a fire I didn't know could exist. I'd never been an athlete and certainly not one that could swim 1500m, bike 40k and run 10k in the same day. Today, I am able to do that and I have that horrible train wreck of a swim to thank for it.

All of that is a long way of saying I'm coming up on my third season of tri-ing and such. I've done a few sprints, a couple of Olympics, a few 5ks and 10ks and a half marathon. I'm definitely still a beginner in the grand scheme and will definitely not break any records, world, country, state, county, or city. I might be able to take my block but there's a pretty good runner next door.

In general, I train using plans from this site. I find them to be very beneficial in focusing me toward a goal whether that's to get stronger this winter or to finish my first HIM (half ironman). I'm very lucky to have a flexible job that allows me to work in my training. My 2007 goals are to get faster and possibly do a half ironman race in early September.

I'm not specifically trying to lose weight but I've been there. I lost about 30 pounds in 2001 in preparation for my wedding and have managed to keep it all off, thank goodness. I am trying to improve my diet (kindly ignore the beer in my avatar) but that's moreso for overall health.

That's about all I've got to say. I'm super excited to be able to help people access all the resources BT has to offer and those I've found helpful in my journey. I'll not pretend to be a coach, counselor, doctor, or anything other than an enthusiast who loves to motivate others and help them achieve their best.

Cheers!

Tom

Edited by Matchman 2007-01-22 9:38 AM

2007-01-18 2:06 PM
in reply to: #658479

User image

Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - OPEN
Hi Tom!

I'm hoping to join your group. I'm 22 years old, and have been an athlete my entire life. I graduated college in May, and since then have really been looking for the competitive edge of exercise. (I realized that my basketball career after college was dead, unless you know of any WNBA teams suddenly in need of a short white girl...) I exercise like a maniac anyway, so why not have a goal for it all, ya know? A friend of a friend suggested I look into triathlons.

Anyhow, I don't want to talk (type?) your ear off, but I'm hoping for some pointers. I have been doing tons of research, and thing I am going to start with a sprint pool-swim tri. I guess I just need the basics... I'm nervous as hec, but really truly think that doing triathlons would be a good thing for me.

After swimming in the pool, I get out and change? Or do I stay in the swimsuit? I'm assumming I already place my shoes, bike, etc in a designated area?

Also, I'm looking to buy a used bike for the race- any ideas as to where I should be looking? I live in Boston, so there are tons of resources I am going to be checking out.

Any information you can provide would be super-appreciated!

Thanks!
Danielle
2007-01-18 3:50 PM
in reply to: #659624

User image

Elite

Hi Danielle!

Welcome to BT and to the mentoring group.  I think you'll find this to be an excellent site with LOTS of support for beginners.  Feel free to ask lots of questions and to search and browse the forums for whatever you might want to know.  Chances are excellent it's been discussed before.

Sounds like you've got a great athletic background which will serve you very well in tris.  I'm jealous.    I couldn't agree more on having a goal for all the exercise.  Its what keeps me going.

As for your pool tri clothing, you've got a couple of options.  There's such a thing as tri shorts (THESE are my favorites) which are a lot like cycling shorts but the pad is much lighter and won't get water logged so you can wear it for all three sports.  However, there are plenty of women from pro to amateur who race in their speedo-style swimsuits.  The key, I think, is to make sure you're not going to chafe like crazy on the bike and run.  Also, investing in BodyGlide is an excellent idea in general.  Its a chafe prevention wonder.  

As for your transition to the bike (aka T1) and run (aka T2), there's always a designated area for your stuff.  Most tri transition areas look something like thisHERE is an article on how to set up your T area.   

As for a bike, well that really runs the gamut.  You could spend $100 or $10,000 if you wanted to.  Here's my advice and its based only on my own experience: find yourself a used road bike that fits you.  This serves two purposes: First, you don't have to spend a ton to get a decent bike should you decide tris (or cycling) aren't for you.  Second, it'll give you some time to decide what you really want when you fall in love with this sport.  I bought a tri bike after suffering a few months on a mountain bike but part of me wishes I'd bought a road bike.  My recommendation is to go to a good local bike shop and see if they can help you out.  Be frank about your needs and what you're willing to spend and don't accept any BS.  You might try posting in the Mass. Forum to get some recommendations on shops.  There are some awesome folks, especially KathyG who live near you who'll be more than willing to share their knowledge.  The bottom line is to find something that fits and will serve your needs.

I hope I've answered your questions and haven't driven you crazy with all the links.  Please keep asking any questions you have.  You'll be nervous for your first race either way but we'll do what we can to make sure you're prepared and help steer you clear of mistakes some of us made our first time out.

Again, welcome to BT.  

Tom 

2007-01-18 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Tom,

I am just getting started in this thing. I am a 38 y/o male that started running about 16 months ago and have now finished 2 half-marathons and one full one (another full coming up in 4 weeks). I have been married for 16 years and have 2 boys, 15 y/o and 11 y/o. My 15 y/o was 14 when we ran my first HM together and he seems to miss running sometimes, but is not ready to commit to anything longer than a 10k which is probably for the best till he is a bit older.

I have been biking since last Feb when I bought a road bike to help with cross training for my first marathon. I was a competitive swimmer in high school, but that was 20 years ago. I have joined a Masters swim class and am swimming 3 times a week.

My wife and kids are ok with the time I am spending training (about 10 hours per week right now, but up to 16 or so at peak before a marathon) and are HUGE supporters. At my first marathon (Twin Cities as a matter of fact) they were at 3 different places on the course to cheer me on. That was HUGE, especially at mile 25.5 when I saw them the last time.

I am currently following a runnersworld.com plan for my marathon with 3 days of running per week and have added the 3 swim days. Before Jan, I was doing 3 bike rides a week (2 shorter sessions 34-50 min and 1 long ride 60+ min), but with swimming starting, for now I have dropped to 1 long bike ride.

I am registered for a half-ironman in June and am planning on doing at least 1 sprint before then, probably April or so.

Anyway, enough for now. Can I join your team?

Stephen

ETA: TRI plans

Edited by sandert 2007-01-18 4:24 PM
2007-01-18 7:08 PM
in reply to: #659852

User image

Thank you so much for such a wonderful and informative response!!! Like I mentioned, I'm totally excited at starting this whole process, but at the same time, I think the more information I have, the more comfortable I will be with it.

I hope you don't mind that I may become sort of annoying with all my questions... Let me know if I become too much

Until then, have a wonderful night, and thanks again!
2007-01-19 8:49 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
tom is an awesome guy, and will be a fantastic mentor. you picked a good one!

2007-01-20 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Tom,

Is the group still open? If so, I'd like to join.

Hope to hear from you!
2007-01-20 5:41 PM

New user
hey guys,

I just moved out to CA to be with my fiance while she is in law school. It has been an alright transition (job transferred me), but I have been pretty bored while she is studying and I have not much to do.

So I decided to pick a goal and compete in a triathlon. My first triathlon will be a sprint on June 10th, 2007 at Redondo Beach. Shorter distance - .5 swim, 6 bike, 2 run and hopefully a great way to start off.

Some background on me. I am 26, a big guy, currently sitting at 6'3 250lbs (and I will be able to swim a mile one day!) I was a high school football player, then a rower in college (at about 210lbs), then a slave to work for a few years (+40 lbs...) and now I am trying to get back in shape, look good for my wedding in Sept and of course finish a triathlon, even if it is a short sprint.

I am pretty novice to all of this and am all ears when it comes to training. I made up a training plan that combined the Couch to Sprint program with the Beginner Sprint program. I really think I need to work on my swimming as that appears to be my weakest spot by far and any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
Pete
2007-01-20 9:28 PM

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia
Hi Tom,

My name is Aaron, a 29 year old Aussie looking to repair the damage of bad habits, a poor diet, and general lack of exercise for most of my existance.

About 16 months ago I gave up smoking before the birth of my 1st child as I wanted to be a better role model, I'd like to replace that bad habit with a better one. My aim is to complete an olympic distance triathlon at the end of the year.

I'm a poor swimmer and always have been. I've focussed my training in this area, I also thought it'd be a good way to introduce my body to exercise.

I started training 2 weeks ago and desperatly don't want to quit in a few months time, I'd really like to change my life and will do what I can to ensure I stay as motivated as possible. What i'm after is a little kick in pants if I start to go off the straight-and-narrow, and advice of how to use my training sessions more effectively.

I hope there's still room in the group and look forward to travelling the journey to my first tri!

Cheers,
Aaron.
2007-01-21 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Tom

My name is Neil and look likes I am the token Brit looking to join your gang, greetings from the UK!

I’m 41 years old married with two young daughters and have dreamt of doing triathlons for years and now it’s time to change this into reality in 2007. I have targeted a sprint tri at the end of May as my first.

I’m a pretty active runner, and competed in 11 x 10k races last year (personal best 43 44s) and 2 half marathons (pb 1hr 46 mins). My training currently consists of a 3 runs a week (3 miles 5 miles 12 miles) and two 30 minutes sessions on a spinning bike. I have a road bike and I tend to amble about 400 miles a year on it. Tomorrow sees me take to the pool for the first time in years. My breaststroke used to be ok, I have never swum front crawl (have tried and sunk on several occasions)! This is going to be my problem area for sure. The plan is to have a few sessions to get used to being back in the water and then join a local masters club for help.

I’m looking for some moral support and like-minded folks to chat with and get to know, share ideas and thoughts as I achieve this goal. The plan is to master and enjoy sprint tri this year and move up a distance in 2008.

I look forward to joining the fun.

Cheers

Neil
2007-01-22 10:22 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL!

WOW, WOW, WOW!

I never expected this to fill so quickly.  Sorry for having been asleep at the wheel all weekend. 

Welcome to Stephen, gonnatrione (please introduce yourself!), Pete, Aaron, and Neil.  Danielle, I hope you're OK with being our token woman. 

I'm so glad you all are here.  I'm looking forward to us motivating each other and learning from others' experiences.  It sounds like you're all charged up for a great 2007 season some exciting new beginnings. 

I'll respond individually to each post so that we're not taking the shotgun approach, at least not initially. 

Finally, in terms of expectations, I have only three: log your training, inspire each other in the blogs, and ask any question you might have.   

Cheers!

Tom

2007-01-22 10:26 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Tom is awesome! Go Matchman Go!!!
2007-01-22 10:41 AM
in reply to: #663181

User image

Veteran
Hi!

My name is Jon and I live in Virginia.

Last April I left my job sitting behind a desk running a beer distributorship and started my own business providing professional services. What a change! I was working 16-18 hour days, sometimes 7 days a week. At one point I went two years without a vacation, so you can imagine how much time I made for exercise.
2007-01-22 10:59 AM
in reply to: #659918

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL

Welcome, Stephen.  We're glad to have you.  

sandert - 2007-01-18 4:16 PM

Hi Tom, I am just getting started in this thing. I am a 38 y/o male that started running about 16 months ago and have now finished 2 half-marathons and one full one (another full coming up in 4 weeks). 

Dang!  That's a lot in a year and 4 months.  Congratulations.  Your tri endeavors will be well served by your running work so far.  Also great to hear that you have solid family support.  That makes all the difference in successful training and racing.

I have been biking since last Feb when I bought a road bike to help with cross training for my first marathon. I was a competitive swimmer in high school, but that was 20 years ago. I have joined a Masters swim class and am swimming 3 times a week.

Excellent that you're doing the Masters swims.  For me, the presence of other swimmers makes the workouts soooo much easier and the stroke tips are invaluable.   How's it coming along for you?  Are you getting comfortable with the idea of a 1.2 mile open water swim?  Having been a competitive swimmer at a young age puts you waaaaaay ahead of a lot of triathletes, BTW.  Most of us dread time in the pool and race swims.  Thank goodness for the buoyancy that a few mm of neoprene provides!

I am currently following a runnersworld.com plan for my marathon with 3 days of running per week and have added the 3 swim days. Before Jan, I was doing 3 bike rides a week (2 shorter sessions 34-50 min and 1 long ride 60+ min), but with swimming starting, for now I have dropped to 1 long bike ride. I am registered for a half-ironman in June and am planning on doing at least 1 sprint before then, probably April or so.

A couple of thoughts as you finish up your marathon prep and start up with HIM training:

- Ramp up the bike mileage. 56 miles is one long as$ bike ride!  In my not so humble opinion, this is going to be way more important than the swimming.  Most people with a passable stroke will survive a 1.2 mile swim but the bike is a much more formidable challenge.  Just give that some thought and see if you can't get in some more T.I.T.S. (that's time in the saddle, sickos).

- Definitely do at least a race or two before your HIM even if you do them just as a long workout.  As I'm sure you well know, there's no substitute for race experience.

- Do a lot of bricks (run off the bike), even if its just a 15 or 20 minute run off your bike rides.  Mind you, this is advice I need to take myself.  I suffered (more mentally but physically, too) on the runs in my races last season because I didn't do enough brick work. 

That's all for now.

Cheers!

Tom

Edited by Matchman 2007-01-22 11:02 AM
2007-01-22 4:04 PM
in reply to: #663244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL
Matchman - 2007-01-22 9:59 AM

Welcome, Stephen. We're glad to have you.

Thanks, glad to be here.

Excellent that you're doing the Masters swims. For me, the presence of other swimmers makes the workouts soooo much easier and the stroke tips are invaluable. How's it coming along for you? Are you getting comfortable with the idea of a 1.2 mile open water swim?

I've gotten at least 1 tip that I can feel makes my stroke more productive. Keeping my face down really helps my hydrodynamics. We are doing a lot of pull distance (feels like a lot to me anyway) which I think is good since you really want your arms to do most of the work in the swim portion (right?).

Open water is something I'm a bit unsure of. I've never enjoyed spending time where I can't touch bottom (funny thing for a strong swimmer, I know) but I'm not too worried about it since there will be a few (or more) other people swimming the same direction as me.

A couple of thoughts as you finish up your marathon prep and start up with HIM training:

- Ramp up the bike mileage. 56 miles is one long as$ bike ride! In my not so humble opinion, this is going to be way more important than the swimming. (that's time in the saddle, sickos).

My longest ride so far is about 35 miles and that was with a bike group so part of that time was spent drafting. I'm torn on the idea of spending time with a group due to that. I know I ride faster with a group than I will usually push myself alone, but some of that speed is from drafting the pack. Riding regularly with a group... GOOD or BAD?

- Do a lot of bricks (run off the bike), even if its just a 15 or 20 minute run off your bike rides. Mind you, this is advice I need to take myself. I suffered (more mentally but physically, too) on the runs in my races last season because I didn't do enough brick work.

Thanks for the advise. I will keep that in mind as I start to finalize my tri-training plan. I think that is one of the great opportunities about this mentoring is the ability to learn from mistakes of others.

That's all for now.

Actually, you've given me lots to think about. Thanks!

Stephen

2007-01-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: #663181

User image

Hi Tom!

Haha, I absolutely don't mind being the only female in our group! I am trying to get a handle on this website, and figure it out a bit more. I logged my training for today, and hopefully I did it correctly. Basically, this is what my weekly training is going to look like:

Weekly, I will be doing 2 swim workouts (one interval, one distance), 3 run workouts (one interval, one distance, one strength), 2 bike workouts (both are just to get used to biking for now...), and lifting twice a week, with a days rest (at least) in between.

I will continue to log my daily workouts, just to make sure I'm keeping up.

As for nutrition, I am consuming 1717 calories daily, 25% being good fats, 49% carbs, and 26% protein (percentages are based on percentages of calories). I have it broken down in an excel spreadsheet... I allow myself 3 "cheat" meals, but they are always healthy.

I'm really excited! And a big hello to all the new members!

~Danielle

2007-01-23 10:59 AM

New user
wow, that is a great training program.

Do you all recommend a speed/strength/endurance workout for each side? Right now I figure it is better I concentrate on endurance until I can complete all three in respectable times.
2007-01-23 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Gang

My training has moved indoors for a while as we've got snow here folks! Looks like the treadmill and spinbike are going to take some hammer!
2007-01-24 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
Hi gang

Hope you are all well.

Just ran 6 miles in a snow storm, awsome makes me glad to be alive, if not a little bit cold!!

Have a crazy day.

Neil
2007-01-24 1:59 PM
in reply to: #666568

User image

Veteran
Neil - That's commitment!

Glad there's no snow here! It's cold and windy, so it's indoors to the pool and maybe some indoor track running a the YMCA this evening.

I've got to get this pool thing working. It feels like my head is at the waterline, hips about 2 feet below and my feet are dragging the bottom. Maybe a lesson or two?

Jon
2007-01-24 2:22 PM

User image

Regular
hi jon

my swimming is dreadful i'm going to get stuck into it next week and see how i go. I think its going to be hard work! I'll get some time in the water and then join a masters club for some expert advice!

Neil

2007-01-24 10:16 PM
in reply to: #661880

User image

Elite

Hey everybody!  Sorry again for my absentee status as mentor.  I've been in corporate team reatreat meeting hell the past couple of days.  Sounds like everybody's doing well.  I'll start back up by officially welcoming Pete.   

PJOinSM - 2007-01-20 5:41 PM

hey guys, I just moved out to CA to be with my fiance while she is in law school. It has been an alright transition (job transferred me), but I have been pretty bored while she is studying and I have not much to do. So I decided to pick a goal and compete in a triathlon. My first triathlon will be a sprint on June 10th, 2007 at Redondo Beach. Shorter distance - .5 swim, 6 bike, 2 run and hopefully a great way to start off.

Sounds like a great goal and a great way to get yourself motivated while you've got some  independent time, Pete.  Law School's a big a$$ commitment for your wife-to-be so I'm guessing she'll actually appreciate that you've found something to occupy your time while she's hitting the books.  

I assume you're in SoCal if you're doing the Redondo Tri?  I'm technically a CA native - born in Torrance - but my folks moved back here to MN when I was very young.  Anyhow, there's a very active tri community in the LA area.  I think LA Tri Club may be one of the biggest in the country.  There are a ton of resources for you locally and perhaps an opportunity to get hooked in with like-minded people. 

Some background on me.  I am 26, a big guy, currently sitting at 6'3 250lbs (and I will be able to swim a mile one day!) I was a high school football player, then a rower in college (at about 210lbs), then a slave to work for a few years (+40 lbs...) and now I am trying to get back in shape, look good for my wedding in Sept and of course finish a triathlon, even if it is a short sprint. I am pretty novice to all of this and am all ears when it comes to training. I made up a training plan that combined the Couch to Sprint program with the Beginner Sprint program. I really think I need to work on my swimming as that appears to be my weakest spot by far and any tips are appreciated. Thanks! Pete

Again, more great goals, Pete.  Just as an aside, one of the things I like best about Triathlon is that there's no prejudice around size/body type.  You'll see every shape and size and age when you go to your first race and everyone's there competing on level footing.  That's not to say that you shouldn't commit to your weightloss goals but know that there's room for everybody and every body in triathlons and I think that's just plain cool.

As for the weightloss, I totally know where you're coming from.  I lost a bunch of weight to "look good for my wedding" but it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself (other than marry my beautiful wife, of course).  Eat good foods in appropriate portions and excercise and you won't have a problem dropping that weight in a hurry and keeping it off as long as you choose.  

As for training tips, my experience as a beginner has been that training plans are a big help so good choice there.  For me, it keeps me on track, creates the workouts for me, and removes some of the guesswork.  

My other tip is to consider a swim coach.  This may end up being a broken record sort of theme from me but I can't tell you how valuable its been.  It may be some financial outlay in what can be a very expensive sport but if you suffer on the swim, you're probably not going to have a whole lot of fun the rest of the way.  

Finally, have fun with this new endeavor.  It can feel daunting at first but you really can make the sport what you want it to be.  

Again, welcome and enjoy Cali!  BTW, where are you from originally?

Cheers!

Tom 

2007-01-25 5:32 AM
in reply to: #666568

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

6 miles in a snow storm? You're a better man than I!  I get disheartened with a stiff head wind. 

I'll remember you when I start to make excuses for not training due to the weather quoting "Well it could be worst, I could have to run 6 miles in a snow storm!"

Keep up the good work, it's inspirational.

Aaron.

2007-01-25 8:41 AM

User image

Subject: swimming
Hey guys!

As for the swimming part of the race, I can (hopefully) provide you with some insight... Back in teh day, I joined my high school swim team to stay in shape for basketball and track... Needless to say, I came to the conclusion that swimming was the hardest - and best - exercise there is! It's a full body, no impact workout. What beats that?!

Anyhow, I can vividly remember my first practice- I was an awkward swimmer, and it was a hard thing to get used to. The one and only thing I found to be helpful was practice. At the risk of being cliche, I will say that practice makes perfect. I hated hearing it, but it's the truth!

I also rented a video on triathletes from the library (yes, i know, im a super dork...), and that helped, too. They explain things in real-life, everyday terms as far as strokes go.

Hopefully that helps somewhat...
Keep kickin' butt, guys!

Danielle
2007-01-25 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
I've ordered the Total Immersion FME DVD, and can't wait for it to arrive.

I feel good at the beginning of each drill, but when I hit that 75-100 meter mark, I go downhill fast! I can feel my hips and feet sinking.

Growing up in Phoenix, AZ, I never learned how to "swim", so this is totally new to me. Don't get me wrong, I can swim, just not properly. My 11 year old daughter goes with me to the pool and says I'm flailing, not swimming. So much for my ego....kids are so truthful.

After I get comfortable being in the water, I'll have to take a couple of lessons.

Edited by gonnatrione 2007-01-25 11:02 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 8