BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-05-06 8:36 PM
in reply to: #661678

User image

Grafton, WI
Subject: RE: Julia's Group - Full

I think goals for the week, rather than the month is the right track for most of us by the sounds of it right  now.  It is a busy time of year, stress piles on, etc.  So my goals for the week. 

1.  Defeat the negative self-talk.  Think positives, write positives, do positives.

2.  Go for a hike once.

3.  Attempt to bike 2x.....min. 30 min.

4.  Continue with P.T.

5.  Swim 3x, Yoga twice.    

2007-05-06 9:21 PM

User image

Shoreline
I am also suffering from a lack of motivation. I took some recovery days and feel much better.

I am really looking forward to going for a nice long run as soon as I can get away from the ankle biters this week. Got some new sneakers and am ITCHING to get out there.

Had some bad news. Turns out I have a hernia. I've had it since I had my son (who is now 3). Not sure what that means yet (surgery in the very worst case scenario).

Goals for the week:

One 6 mile run
One 14 mile bike ride (outside, preferably with the kids in the trailer)
One mile-long swim (I want to do another 2 mile swim but can't get it done in under an hour which is how long I have the lane for)
Yoga at least twice

I know my goals are light, but I am trying very hard to be realistic with my goals now that I am determined to have a better "life" balance.
2007-05-07 12:11 PM
in reply to: #790767

User image

Grafton, WI

Caycee - 2007-05-06 9:21 PM I know my goals are light, but I am trying very hard to be realistic with my goals now that I am determined to have a better "life" balance.

Light?  Come on now!  You are an achiever, not a lightweight. 

2007-05-08 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Well, I'm BACK!!  Not well, but back.  After the race, we left within a few hours for the 22 hour drive back.  I started feeling sick in the car with a few hours left then spent half of the night puking my brains out last night...  ICK!  Sorry TMI.  The race went well.  I'll post a race report, but I was 5th in my AG - BUT only 30" from 3rd.  HAd I known that I was racing for the podium, I would have pushed harder!!!  There's a saying that you can't win the race on the swim, but you can sure lose it on the swim.  That's what happened to me!

Anyway, sorry I've got a LOT of questions to catch up on! 

Diane-  Double check the pool.  I am one of the faster swimmers in my races and my FASTEST 1650 time (1 mile) is 22 minutes.  I swim a 500 in just under 7 minutes. 

As for the shoes - I used to have ALL kinds of problems.  I always wore an 8.5.  I had toenails fall off after long runs, blisters, the whole nine yards.  BUT then I went to a good running store and got a good person to fit me - I needed a 9!!!  And I don't have problems any more!  Hopefully they will be good.  I wear superfeet inserts.  I used to wear my full orthodics for running, but as I've gotten stronger, I don't need them.  There are 2 schools on this.  My OPINION is that if you have pain, you should try something, but wean yourself into them.  After you run more and feel comfortable, you should wean yourself off of them.  This way your muscles will strengthen properly and eventually you may not need them!

Motivation, motivation, motivation......  HMMMMM

IT's SPRING!!  It's almost race season (well it IS for me!) and there has never been a better time to get out there.  I'll check your individual logs in the next day or so and see if there is any insight or specific inspiration I can give.  Hope EVERYONE had a great weekend

J

2007-05-08 8:10 PM
in reply to: #792597

Welcome back Julia -Sorry you ended up being sick. Can't wait ot read the race report-Congratulations on your finish!

Thanks for the advice on the pool-I just really couldn't figure the numbers. However I could always wish I swam that fast! With my liking for the pools I highly doubt it. I figure I would put down 15 minutes for the swim. I think that should be about right, then again this is in open water with other people??? I am gonna ask the attendant the length to be on the safe side.

Anyways again congratulations on the finish! Oh yeah and I was bragging on your kids to my 8 year old who said he wanted to start running, but has since decided he doesn't. He is going to anyways but I told him your sons ages and what they had accomplished and he is older. (Boys and there competitivness)

Diane
2007-05-08 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

The RACE REPORT is UP!! 

Diane- I think 15' would be perfect.  It shouldn't matter too much, they just want to put people with roughly the same groups to be close and no one gets too trampled   HAve a great week!

Julia

2007-05-09 10:32 PM

I better put in 20.
I rechecked the pool and I am a complete dunce! screwed up big!! its feet not yards.
I knew something was wrong just not adding up.
Thanks Julia.

Diane
2007-05-10 9:22 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Do a little dance, get down tonight, get down tonight!  Bouncing off the skies tonight group!  Ready to break out and do my jig as I am finishing on a good note today!  More specifically I got to ride my bike outside in this nice weather, and I made it 11.25 miles before I stopped ( I could have done more, but didn't want to overdo it!).  Feeling pretty good, after a lot of walking in classes today 16,000 steps...and playing tennis against a group of kids.  At some points I was clipping along pretty nicely....23 mph?  Overall though, I probably averaged 16-17 as I didn't want to go to far into the country incase my leg acted up, so I hit some stop signs and traffic.   Probably a good thing to go a bit slower.  This means I can do my fundraiser next weekend, albeit not at the 60 miles I signed up for, but at the 15....I'll take it! Hope everyone else got out and felt the wind through your helmet head and hair! 
2007-05-15 8:49 AM
in reply to: #796607

THAT"S Awesome! Have fun at the fundraiser. It's been quiet here. I'm still around, I've just had nothing to enter in my logs sadly. I've started playing squash again but with no activity for two weeks it is very evident in my game. Who knew in two weeks I'd feel so out of shape again.
2007-05-15 6:33 PM

User image

Grafton, WI

Hip, hip, hooorayyyyyyyyy!  10 min. eliptical, followed by a 1 mile run...albeit at a slow pace for me....but MAN OH MAN did that FEEEEEEEEEL   GREAAAAAAATT!  Hopefully that will carry through tonight and tomorrow.  Put one foot in front of the other......

2007-05-15 10:00 PM

Great Job trYgirl!
That is so funny you say ellipt/1 mile run.... I am on a weight watchers and one of the boards there thsi gal was saying that was her routine today. 30min ellitical-1 mile jog-30 min elliptical.
That was the first time I had heard them together and thought I should try that for a change of pace. Now you. Great job.

How the injury comin? Hope things are healing.
Fran-isn't funny how it seems to take forever to build up but in a short amount of time you fell lie you've lost it. Don't worry jump back on the horse it will all come back.

Have a great night.

Diane

2007-05-16 6:02 AM

User image

Grafton, WI
The elliptical is a great way to "practice" running without the added stress of the pounding for a cardiovascular workout.  Fran, if you can still swim with your injury, you would be amazed how it keeps up with your CV system if you push yourself there.  I was amazed how "easy" running was last night even though my pace aws easier it is usually still a struggle to move CV.  Keep your mind to it, I feel your pain....wait...I still feel mine too!   Focus on what you can do, Yoga, weights, etc.  You'll get back there!  And when you do start back, start slow! 
2007-05-16 9:28 AM

Well Hubby is dropping off registrations and money for the sprint in June....no turning back now.
Why I have butterflies today I don't know but wow nerves have begun.

Diane
2007-05-16 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

NICE work on getting back on the eliptical and RUNNING!!!  Don't push too hard - make sure you listen to your body!!  And ICE works wonders   Keep up the nice work!

And Diane - YEAH!  There would be no turning back anyway - you are comitted to what you are doing and that's GREAT!!! 

As for me, I am adjusting my goals.  I was getting sick and a little overtrained so my focus is QUALITY, not QUANTITY   I hit two major swims (over 4,000 yds each) this week already and now I am going to get running and biking back in too! 

Great job everyone! 

I've noticed we did lose a few - I checked a few empty logs this week, but glad to see that Francisjade is back at it!  2 weeks is OK - there are a few studies that say although you can lose up to 50% of your fitness in 2 weeks it only takes 2-3 weeks to gain 90% of that back!  When you up that to 3 weeks completely off...  It starts to take really take a toll and it takes much longer to get back to 90% of you pre-time-off fitness. 

Keep it up LADIES

2007-05-16 11:45 PM

hi guys! ugh! i feel so MIA right now! we are in between our old house and our new house! its really hard, i feel like we're camping! don't worry, we aren't really, we are in a rental condo for the month before my hubby graduates and we make our final move up to our new house.

anyway, our internet connection is iffy at best. really touch and go. i have been manually logging my workouts, but just this week when my confidence rose a little on our internet connection i decided to start logging my workouts back on here.

julia, great job at wildflower, i loved reading your race report!

little update:
i'm still training for the HIM in june. its been so hard being far away from my pool, no jogging stroller (its already at my new house! ugh!) but hubby is around more so i'm still able to get some training in. i plan to utilize at least a couple days a week for long rides and runs.

i did a sprint this past weekend, the tri for the cure in tempe, az.
it was 750m swim (open water, tread start) 12 mi bike and 3.1 mi run. i finished in 1:31. i was happy with my results, i felt i had a blast, enjoyed it, yet pushed myself too. it was easily 100 degrees by the time westarted the run though and there was only one water station at 1.5 miles on the run. SO hot. anyway, it was a fun race, and i'm glad i did it. of course, i wish i had pushed a tiny bit harder, but i felt good about how i did. they only had timing chips for the run portion, so hard to break down my times, and in T1 my watch hit the bar of the bike rack so i 'reset' my time on my watch. ARGH! oh well, did my best. felt like my T times were quick and i was able to transition from one event to the next really well. VERY emotional feeling to know that all this work that i'm putting into my training is paying off and i'm seeing results.

anyway, i will log on as much as i can and as much as this connection will let me, but i don't want to lose my spot in this great group!

ok, NOW to my question--HOW do i increase my running speed? i don't know how you all do it. i just can not, for the life of me, do faster than a 10 min mile. i feel that is really where i'm losing time, big time. maybe its my short, 5 ft body legs, i don't know. but its getting me down. of course the heat here isn't helping. after running a couple miles i have to walk becasue i feel so heat exhausted. looks like i need to take water for even a few mile run.

ok, to bed now!
Megan
2007-05-18 1:46 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Last night we had a guy come in for our Triathlon Club and do some underwater filming for us.  Not only was the price right...FREE...it definately gave us a lot of insight into our swim mechanics.  We saw a great video too.  If anyone gets a chance to have someone film their swim stroke, definately take a gander at it....I have some great drills I will be doing, and it was nice to see how I thought I swim and how I actually swam!  Funny thing though, obviously there are always different ways of doing things, but the seminar I went to with my swim stroke analysis in March had me reaching way to far before I entered into the water...now I have to change things back a bit!  Ugh.  Happy Sunny weekend everyone!  Heading to my first Brewer game of the season and tailgate with 18 people!  Should be a blast!  GO BREWERS!

2007-05-18 9:50 PM

Under water filming that sounds neat. Hope you have a good time at the game too.

We (me, son and hub) have a 5k run in the morning. We are so looking forward to it, Son is excited to do it again too. In laws are going to come see him finsish and then take him fishing.
My goal for this is to not get this great work out in first thing saturday to eat my way throught the rest of the weekend! It is just not working for me anymore!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2007-05-19 1:07 PM

Just a quick update- we finished the 5K, son and hub finished in 34:00 - 6min 30sec faster than last weekend and I finished 34:31-1min 17 sec faster. Pretty happy with slight improvement for me and son really pushed it out this time. we discussed the need to pace himself then he can sprint to the finish instead of trying to sprint at the beginning. So he set mini goals for himself to run/walk and he improved big time. We are so proud of him.

I could just imagine watching your kids come acroww the line after there first tri, Julia. That has got to be awesome. How much to they train, how fast do they run?

Have a great weekend everyone!
Diane

Edited by Diane&Mike 2007-05-19 1:08 PM
2007-05-20 9:07 AM

User image

Santa Monica, CA
Hi, Everyone! I have been MIA from this forum for awhile now. I had a major job change and started a master's program at school, so things are finally getting back on track. I have been trying to catch up on the forum, and it sounds like everyone is doing great! Congrats to everyone on your training and races!!

And a huge thanks to you who have continually posted bits of motivation in my training log. I apologize for not responding. I'm not quite sure how to reply. I think it's been discussed here before, but I cannot find it. What's the best way to reply?

A little update... For races this year, I ran the LA Marathon, the Chesebro Half Marathon, and the Big Sur Marathon, and they were all really wonderful experiences. Big Sur was amazing, and the weather was perfect. I came in about a half hour faster than LA, at 4:47:06. Not sure what the next race is yet. I haven't been swimming as much, so I need to get back into that. I will try to set up a lesson with my coach soon (I'm still very much a beginner). I also went about a month without strength training (tsk tsk!) so this week I got back into it.

Thanks again to everyone for all the motivation. This is an awesome group!
2007-05-20 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Nice work Diane on the 5k to you, son and hubby ALL!!!  Great motivation to get out and do these little races

Elizabeth - to reply to inspire - when you open the "inspire me" each entry will have 'reply' (this will reply in your own inspire me' or 'blog'  if you click the 'blog' button it will take you to that person's blog and also open their inspire me and you can put a message in there   GLAD to hear that you are back at it and that the marathons went so well  

Things have been crazy with me.  I had a race 2 weeks ago - another race 2 weeks from today - another race 2 weeks after that and ANOTHER one 2 weeks after THAT!!!  YIKES!  Then I will be taking a little break - PHEW!

Train hard, recover harder, race hardest   Don't forget to fuel and sleep ladies.  This is SUCH a fun time of year

2007-05-29 12:53 AM

Wow I've been out of touch, finally back into it all on a smaller scale, going to test out the route this week. The triathlon is June 10th. I managed to borrow a nice road bike. I'm going to run/walk the run portion.

Julia, I want to say thank you for all your amazing advice and support! I've saved everything you said. You've been very inspiring to me. I'm leaving after my triathlon for a 10 week vacation and have been busy getting ready for that.

I will post the results of my FIRST TRIATHLON here for you to see.

and thank you too to everyone on this forum for your support, I'd love to hear about your races!

2007-06-03 4:53 PM

Cant' wait to hear Julias race report from Alcatraz! Truely amazing!

I just want to say thank you too to not only Julia but everyone here in this group for the advice and the motivation to continue.
It is finally here my sprint is Saturday. I could be in better shape for it I know but I also know I am in way better shape now than when I first thought about doing it and getting signed up with this group!
From the first 5k with the advice and stories, I made it through and I know this first attempt in a tri I will make it.
Any new advice anyone? How about any good stories to help me here?
Thanks for everything.
Diane
2007-06-03 5:54 PM
in reply to: #827378

User image

Grafton, WI
Remember to take your helmet off in Transition 2!  Oh...and sing as you go....I always sing the wheels on the bus go round and round when I am out kicking butt on my bike! 
2007-06-03 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

So my Race Report is up!  WHat an amazing day.  If any of you get the chance to do this race - DO IT!!!  It was SO amazing from jumping off the boat to crossing the finish line. 

Diane - GOOD LUCK next weekend.  And ENJOY it!!!  Don't forget to enjoy it   You are prepared and you will have the time of your life!  And yeah, sing to yourself and even dance across the finish line!  Don't forget to SMILE for the cameras

2007-06-03 11:09 PM
in reply to: #827432

trYgrl - 2007-06-03 5:54 PM

Remember to take your helmet off in Transition 2!  Oh...and sing as you go....I always sing the wheels on the bus go round and round when I am out kicking butt on my bike! 

Seriously the wheels on the bus! That is funny.
I am so slow on this bike route that I will be singing the song for at least 1:30. I bet I get that stuck in my head...at least I can make my own verses up
Thanks for the advice.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18