BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-06-04 12:14 PM
in reply to: #661678

Subject: RE: Julia's Group - Full
Make sure you try swimming in the lake before a triathlon, I've always heard that advice but now I know what they mean, the weeds were up to the surface. They'd float along my face, neck down to around my legs. I had to paddle my bare hands through it. I tried swimming with my eyes closed so I didn't have to see the seaweed. After about 30 minutes I got used to it!

2007-06-04 10:00 PM
in reply to: #828745

francisjade - 2007-06-04 12:14 PM

Make sure you try swimming in the lake before a triathlon, I've always heard that advice but now I know what they mean, the weeds were up to the surface. They'd float along my face, neck down to around my legs. I had to paddle my bare hands through it. I tried swimming with my eyes closed so I didn't have to see the seaweed. After about 30 minutes I got used to it!

Thanks Fran-
I have swam in this lake quite often (its the only one close enough for late starts with the boat-you know those when you plan on leaving by 10 and dont get out of the house until 1)
Seaweed would kinda freak me out-this lake I am afraid of kicking a rock. (more incentive to stay up on the water and not drag I suppose)
My mother in law says the water is cold, the parks website says its 70*. M-I-L suggested going out there sometime this week and just jumping in. ?? I doubt I will but it is a nice thought. In laws are excited, sometimes I think too excited, but they plan on being there to watch us.

Thanks for the advice Fran
2007-06-07 8:45 PM

Ok tommorrow is day before race day....Julia you said to make sure to drink plenty of water the day before and get in gatorade. I usually drink 80-100oz of water a day so I may add a bottle or 2 (I drink Dasani 16.9oz by the case at least 7 a day, my crack But I will get in a "sport" drink as well. Anything else I should try to get in? I have planned a DOR is this needed too, or should I at least do some kinda of activity-long walk or something?

Pretty nervous today, woke myself up at 5:23am dreaming I forgot to wear a swimsuit. Was in tshirt and sweat pants! Talk about drag in the water, Ineed to get stuff together I suppose to ease my mind a little.
Anyways thanks again for everything over the past 6 months.

Diane
2007-06-07 9:37 PM
in reply to: #835089

User image

Grafton, WI

Diane&Mike - 2007-06-07 8:45 PM Ok tommorrow is day before race day....Julia you said to make sure to drink plenty of water the day before and get in gatorade. I usually drink 80-100oz of water a day so I may add a bottle or 2 (I drink Dasani 16.9oz by the case at least 7 a day, my crack But I will get in a "sport" drink as well. Anything else I should try to get in? I have planned a DOR is this needed too, or should I at least do some kinda of activity-long walk or something? Pretty nervous today, woke myself up at 5:23am dreaming I forgot to wear a swimsuit. Was in tshirt and sweat pants! Talk about drag in the water, Ineed to get stuff together I suppose to ease my mind a little. Anyways thanks again for everything over the past 6 months. Diane

Diane---  You'll do great.  Think of it as a stepping stone...I was glad to hear you had some clothes on....I was thinking NO drag! If it makes you feel any better, I forgot my running shoes at a friends house 35 minutes away from the campground before my first big race last year...My wonderful husband drove back to get them so I could sit around the campfire and relax before turning in.  We all have great stories, like listening to the weather report on a day that it is terrentual downpours....or biking over a live chipmunk and basically cutting it in half!  Whatever it is, just have fun...that is what we are all doing this for right?  We are all sick in the head....

On a different note, I got the ok to head out and put in 4-5 miles on a good day....I ran 2 last Sunday and that is the most.  I'm hoping it will cool down tomorrow and I'll head out after work.  I'm lagging right now, something about my competitive nature got bashed on this injury and I haven't kicked in and really thought much about competing....In any case, doing an open water swim this weekend as my race is two weeks away.  My P.T. reminded me that this isn't a PR, or really a race, just finish...that is my stepping stone. Gulp.  I don't think he realizes how competitive I am when the gun goes off.  I guess I need to think of it as Phoebe learning how to ride a bike....we fall off, we get back on, we have our tassels and horns (or club shirts and Gu, and everything fun and exciting), but in the end it becomes our inner child that comes out and just being and doing is alright.  My goal for the weekend is actually to push hard at something...bike or run...I don't care...maybe get past this fear of relapsing.  And when I'm at the finish line, cheer on my friends that are meeting their goals fo the HIM and hope that I'm there next year competing, not pregnant...Alright, best of luck to those competing this weekend, and to those just doing, enjoy the moment and notice everything around you from the crowd to the sun, or rain drops, and the patter of your feet on the pavement and smile and say....Run Forest Run!Smile

2007-06-08 10:40 PM
in reply to: #835089

User image

Master
Colorado

Diane&Mike - 2007-06-07 7:45 PM Ok tommorrow is day before race day....Julia you said to make sure to drink plenty of water the day before and get in gatorade. I usually drink 80-100oz of water a day so I may add a bottle or 2 (I drink Dasani 16.9oz by the case at least 7 a day, my crack But I will get in a "sport" drink as well. Anything else I should try to get in? I have planned a DOR is this needed too, or should I at least do some kinda of activity-long walk or something? Pretty nervous today, woke myself up at 5:23am dreaming I forgot to wear a swimsuit. Was in tshirt and sweat pants! Talk about drag in the water, Ineed to get stuff together I suppose to ease my mind a little. Anyways thanks again for everything over the past 6 months. Diane

Just replacing one of those waters with a sports drink will probably do fine!!  Just remember not to freak out on race day!!!  Hopefully you sleep well tonight.  Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - I had a tough day at work...  Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!!  Don't forget your swimsuit and have a blast.  Remember, it's not worth it if you don't enjoy it  

2007-06-09 11:36 AM

How did it go Diane!!?! How did the run feel?

I'm so nervous, my tri is tomorrow! Probably not a good idea to go into a tri without having ran very much. I'll run/walk it. I hate that the award ceremonies are held just 2 and a half hours after the start, there's no way I'll finish before that. I just hope it's not too embarrassing to walk and be last... : (

But I'm excited anyway!!!! I hope I sleep!

2007-06-09 3:14 PM

In real qwik to let you all know I MADE IT!!!
I did it in less time than I was hoping which was exciting. DH had a little trouble but he made it too. Not sure of official times yet but
Swim(500meter) = 0:16:01
Bike(16miles) = 1:15:29
Run(3.5miles) = 0:57:00?
Overall with 2 transitions = 2:28:30!!!! ??

I was concerned with the bike part and shaved about 15 mins off last attempt on same course (on own)
then the swimming was my 2nd cause I don't care to swim and that was faster than practiced in pool with about 80 other people in the water kicking. But the worst was my run and I thought that would be the least of my problems. Hmm goes to show that swim and bike make a huge difference. I was not worried about the run but it just kicked my A$$!

I will fill ya in more when results are posted on sportsconnection.net
Thanks for the wishes!
Diane
2007-06-09 5:06 PM

That's wonderful! You finished! Did you have energy during the run? Congratulations!
2007-06-09 5:45 PM
in reply to: #837237

User image

Grafton, WI
Awesome job!  Did you have your suit? I'd swim naked if I didn't...makes for a good story! 
2007-06-09 6:02 PM
in reply to: #837288

francisjade - 2007-06-09 5:06 PM

That's wonderful! You finished! Did you have energy during the run? Congratulations!

I have narrowed down (part) the problem on my run- I did have energy. Well I felt tired but not tired like I couldn't go anymore, I had been up at 530, not normal for me. Oh yeah and the fact by that time I had been going for 1hr :40 mins basically. But the problem I had was I was basically by myself. No one in front in sight and no one coming behind me, so I couldn't get a good pace going. I tried using my watch but didnt seem to help. It stunk cause the last bit you come around on top of the "dam" to the finish and finally I had a gal in my sights. It was just too bad she was 2/3 the way across and I am definately not a sprinter . I did have gu at the start of the run and 2 water stations along the trail so that helped with the energy.

During the run I was thinking this is so stupid I will never do anything like this again- but once I was done and waiting for mike, I felt really good. I will so do it again! (Only a sprint though!)
Good bless you full IM - that is intense sh&t there! Holy moly!
But had a lot of fun! So enjoyed wishing those speedsters good luck. I couldn't give em competition so I thought Id throw em an atta boy and smile!

Thanks,
Diane
2007-06-09 6:05 PM
in reply to: #837300

trYgrl - 2007-06-09 5:45 PM

Awesome job!  Did you have your suit? I'd swim naked if I didn't...makes for a good story! 

LOL! Yep layed it out night before as what to where out there! That would have given me such a great advantage as all the others had to turn and run in horror I could have had a head start! Hmm, Idea for next year! (Running naked would be really good.)

2007-06-09 6:24 PM
in reply to: #837309

User image

Grafton, WI

Diane&Mike - 2007-06-09 6:05 PM
trYgrl - 2007-06-09 5:45 PM Awesome job!  Did you have your suit? I'd swim naked if I didn't...makes for a good story! 
LOL! Yep layed it out night before as what to where out there! That would have given me such a great advantage as all the others had to turn and run in horror I could have had a head start! Hmm, Idea for next year! (Running naked would be really good.)

I don't know about the running naked....something about the white chicken fat bouncing around....not a pretty picture, if you know what I mean....you'd really see the horror on people's face then!  If I had my six pack back, perhaps, wait a minute, never had that six pack...unless we are talking about beer.  Speaking of which,  heading out to celebrate my last day of Grad school on MOnday and having my papers ready to turn in.....I'll put that six packer away.  But, I'll need to be up in time for my first open water swim tomorrow a.m.....looking forward to a refreshing swim...with no walls!

2007-06-10 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

CONGRATS DIANE!!!!  Sounds like you had a fantastic day even if there wasn't anyone there to push you on the run.  You had a GREAT swim and a great bike too   It's tough to know what  you're going to feel like 2 hours into a race when you normally train an hour or so at a time too.  NOW you know what to work on a little bit before the next one!  I'm glad you are sticking with it.  You'll enjoy each day more and more  

Take a day off today and treat yourself to something nice

2007-06-10 10:02 PM

I DID IT!!!!!! I've been on a really high high all day. The month I took off to fix my knees and hips paid off. With arch supports I had ZERO knee pain. I really didn't believe I'd finish before the award ceremony were handed out.

The 750m swim was no problem, I kept swimming into people, the buoys were very large and bright and i had no trouble spotting them.

T1 was too long, just under 2 min

The bike was comfortable, averaged 28km/h. 30km in 1:07!

T2 better

The RUN was interesting. The first two minutes I SOO badly wanted to walk but we kept going. I had NO idea we were running as fast as we were, you mentioned Julia this once before. But we average 6min per km. I needed to walk a bit more but finished in good time!!!!!! The last time I ran 7.5 km was 3 years ago. I'm so relieved arch supports fixed my knee issue, I still had hip pain but with my massage sessions I think they'll get better!

Thank you all for your support!
2007-06-10 10:41 PM
in reply to: #838194

great job everyone on your races this weekend! sounds like you had a great time and what a huge accomplishment!! you should be so proud!
my hubby did his first tri on saturday, i'm SO proud of him! the kids and i cheered him on through each transition and then into the finish. it was almost as much of a rush cheering as it is running it! but it was cold and rainy here in the NW on saturday, so i was actually quite glad to NOT be competing!

anyway, just wanted to check in. i'm still 'here', we just still don't have internet at our new house. i'm still training for the HIM in 2 weeks so i'll let you all know if i survive that madness.

great job everyone!!

Meg
2007-06-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: #838242

User image

Shoreline
Meg, which tri did your hubby do this weekend? My hubby did the Issaquah tri last weekend. He was passed by John Curly (Evening Magazine) at the very last stretch of the run...he was so bummed.

I have been having a really tough couple of weeks. I have been sick as a dog. I swam on Friday because I thought I was feeling better, then on Saturday it was like someone hit me with a ton of bricks. I guess I must of overdone it. I only have 8 weeks until Danskin, so if I can't get better and get my arse in gear I am going to be in real trouble. My biggest concern in the bike to be completely honest.

Glad to see everyone is having so much fun on there race days. I am starting to really look forward to it.

Caycee

2007-06-11 8:42 PM

Oh yeah wanted to share I did get the official results
500 meter swim - 0:16:01 (mike - 0:17:51)
Trans #1 - 0:05:44 (Mike - 0:05:14)
16mile Bike - 1:15:29 (Mike - 1:24:35)
Trans #2 - 0:00:57 (Mike - 0:00:52)
3.5mile Run - 0:50:43 (Mike - 0:52:45)
OVERALL TIME - 2:28:54 (Mike - 2:41:17)
(I came in 8th to last Mike was 3rd to last; its ok we weren't last, we finished and we came in within 3hrs - those were our goals. And yes crossed the finish line with a smile.) There were 66 women and 82 men. 4F and 1m did not finish. I came in before 2other F and 5men. Again I had fun and can't wait to do it again. All the racers where ever they finished were awesome. 1st place was 1:23:25(F) 1:12:00(m)
2007-06-11 9:06 PM

I have most of my official results too for the Lakeside Triathlon. I was 13/15 in my age group and 13th last and SOO proud. We had 203 entrants and 192 finishers.

750m swim ?

T1 ?

30km bike in 1:07:41 which is 26.6km/h (not 28km/h as I mentioned before)

T2 1:21

7.5km Run 50:22 which is 6:43km/h

2007-06-11 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

CONGRATS LADIES!!!  Sounds like everyone did a wonderful job   Doesn't it feel great to finish something like this?!  And I'm glad you both had a goal and met it  

Meg - good luck with the HIM in 2 weeks!  Remember to take the last week before the race EASY.  Rule of thumb the week before a long race - don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lie down and don't lie down when you can actually sleep

Things have been crazy for me.  The stress at work is killing my mojo and I have a race this weekend and the BIG race (nationals in Portland, OR) in less than 3 weeks.  I hope that my body can hold on!!!  I feel like I've pushed it to the brink with all of the races recently.  So I'm taking a break for a few days to mentally and physically rest up and recharge. 

Train hard and have fun ladies!!!

2007-06-11 10:22 PM
in reply to: #840066

juliapurr - 2007-06-11 10:06 PM

CONGRATS LADIES!!! Sounds like everyone did a wonderful job Doesn't it feel great to finish something like this?! And I'm glad you both had a goal and met it

Meg - good luck with the HIM in 2 weeks! Remember to take the last week before the race EASY. Rule of thumb the week before a long race - don't stand when you can sit, don't sit when you can lie down and don't lie down when you can actually sleep

Things have been crazy for me. The stress at work is killing my mojo and I have a race this weekend and the BIG race (nationals in Portland, OR) in less than 3 weeks. I hope that my body can hold on!!! I feel like I've pushed it to the brink with all of the races recently. So I'm taking a break for a few days to mentally and physically rest up and recharge.

Train hard and have fun ladies!!!

Have a wonderful rest! Sounds like you need it! Good luck with all your training and I'm sure your body can hold on until your next two races.

Everyone, I've posted my race report if anyone is interested, lots of newbie mistakes.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-view-co...

Thank you Julia! I'm am thrilled beyond words and looking into doing another one!
2007-06-12 7:47 AM

I'm still on my high two days later! and am signing up for a second triathlon in September. There isn't much difference in the bike or run distance but the swim is twice the amount. I think it's doable. I feel like I'm going on and on about this but I'm still so amazed that I've done a tri! I'm so proud of us all. A couple years ago when a friend asked me to do a Try a Tri I thought that would be impossible and didn't do it. This is soo cool! Caycee I hope you feel better soon.

I had my first experience with insomnia for 4 week in Apr -May and it's HUGE how much if affected my energy, I had none, plus I lost my appetite and that made things worse. But things have since returned to normal now I respect sleep much more...

Wasaga Beach Triathlon Sept 9th
swim 1.5km
bike 40km
run 10km

2007-06-12 8:22 AM

Fran-I feel the same way too. Like I keep going on and on and on about the tri. Is it because it was our first. I mean that is a huge accomplishment. I am like you If someone would have told me 7 months ago I would do a tri and LIKE it, no way.
I am so excited. I want to do another too, but I am not ready for anything longer than the sprints. I will keep my eyes open for another one. I think there is one in Oct nearby, I thought about trying to register for the Danskin(swim may be too long) in July but that is about when we are taking family vacation.
Congratulations on your tri times! You did great. I liked your report too.

Diane
2007-06-13 10:12 PM

User image

Grafton, WI
Do a little dance!  School is out for the summer, plus I finished my Masters on Monday....and I ran two nights in a row...and it keeps getting better, I am heading to Keystone, CO tomorrow to meet up with my husband!  I plan on training and relaxing...in the same sentence? Surprised My first tri is a little over a week out and I will be happy to just finish this year.  I was lookng at my times from last year....It is a 1/4 mile swim...I finished 10:40...looking to hit 10 this year...22 mile bike, 3.1 mile run...finished 1:50.....this year, finish...and I'm ok with that....is there something wrong with that?  I was on a bike ride last night and I just rode and I thought, this is great!  I'm so competitive and right now it definately isn't apparent.  Is it that hump that we hit as we age and just accept? Or slow down? Next thing you know...god forbid....I'll start popping out babies and join the ranks of most of you.  (I'm not cut out to be selfless) Speaking of which, I wanted to congratulate those that just finished their first the past few weeks.....it is a high....think of how much work you put into it.  Enjoy it, sing, dance...have you ever bike danced?  You know, like car dancing?  just a thought...well gotta go pack...Happy riding all!   
2007-06-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: #843572

trYgrl - 2007-06-13 10:12 PM

Do a little dance! School is out for the summer, plus I finished my Masters on Monday....and I ran two nights in a row...and it keeps getting better, I am heading to Keystone, CO tomorrow to meet up with my husband! I plan on training and relaxing...in the same sentence? Surprised My first tri is a little over a week out and I will be happy to just finish this year. I was lookng at my times from last year....It is a 1/4 mile swim...I finished 10:40...looking to hit 10 this year...22 mile bike, 3.1 mile run...finished 1:50.....this year, finish...and I'm ok with that....is there something wrong with that? I was on a bike ride last night and I just rode and I thought, this is great! I'm so competitive and right now it definately isn't apparent. Is it that hump that we hit as we age and just accept? Or slow down? Next thing you know...god forbid....I'll start popping out babies and join the ranks of most of you. (I'm not cut out to be selfless) Speaking of which, I wanted to congratulate those that just finished their first the past few weeks.....it is a high....think of how much work you put into it. Enjoy it, sing, dance...have you ever bike danced? You know, like car dancing? just a thought...well gotta go pack...Happy riding all!

What a great place to be! I totally understand having training and relaxing in the same sentence. How nice to have more free time. And things are coming together so beautifully for you with your recovery. Good luck with your tri and having your competitiveness side relax a bit will be good for your recovery.

OK yes I keep saying this but I am still so happy about my first TRI!!!!!! My heart swells with happiness and pride when i think about it. (VERY CHEESY, BUT THAT"S HOW I FEEL : )
2007-06-14 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

OOOHHH  YEAH LAdies!!!  You've ALL CAUGHT the BUG!!  I love to tell you this, but it doesn't end!!  I've been on a tri high since my first race a year and a half ago!!!!!  Isn't it wonderful!  I really love seeing others embrace it too   Some of your friends may get bored hearing about how much you love it, but some of them might catch on and join the fun with you  

Fran - go for the longer swim - it's actually the EASIEST area to increase the distance on! 

Diane - Look into Glenwood or Aspen - I think they each have a sprint tri (the Glenwood one is in the Hot Springs pool!)  There's also a GREAT one in Steamboat - but it is a little longer. 

Kersten - YEAH! Enjoy the trip - How long are dyou staying in CO??  There is a HUGE race up in Boulder this weekend - the 5430 Sprint.  There will be top amatuers as well as a PRO race!  If you are still in CO and want to check out a large, well organized race - this is a good one!  (Plus you can cheer me on )   And I don't think that you are being complacent with just wanting to finish right now.  You will get the competetive edge back when you need it - but right now, you need to just have fun and enjoy it - or it's not worth it!!  And by the way you can still have kids, train, be selfish (sometimes) and enjoy every minute of it!!!

Caycee - I went through sleeping troubles last year.  I actaully had it for a LONG time and had to go on anxiety medication for a period.  It was worth it even though I was on the meds for over 6 months.  I now have occasional trouble, but not like I used to.  Sleep is probably THE most important part of training as that is the only time our bodies can truly recover.

I hope I covered everyone!!!  Good luck to all and keep up the good work!  I was a little worried that some of you had fallen off, but I'm glad that some of you are having the time of your life

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Julia's Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 18