Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-04-04 4:35 PM
in reply to: #668669

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - FULL
Yesterday I made the comment in my blog that I "needed to get some things figured out". Well, here it is. I'm not loosing any weight. In fact, I'm gaining. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I know some of it is added muscle, but why I'm I not loosing my fat. I know my diet isn't that great, but Even when I've had a bad diet and little workout I've weighed less than this. I still try to keep the protien up and I'm not taking in a ton of calories. I only eat when I'm hungry. I just don't really get it. I thought more aerobic workouts would cause me to loose weight. What's up? Also, I don't really feel like I'm improving. I know I could use some more consistency in my workouts, but I would think what I'm doing would help some.

2007-04-04 6:55 PM
in reply to: #748333

User image

Regular
You may want to have your eyes adjusted by then
2007-04-04 6:57 PM
in reply to: #748254

User image

Regular
Now that you mentioned it and it applies to me, what is snake swimming in the pool?
2007-04-04 9:26 PM
in reply to: #749341

User image

Expert
Poke..I know that you are a student. How old are you? When I was in college, I played Division 3 soccer. I could lose 20 pounds every fall just by training. But as soon as I hit my mid to late 20's it just doesn't happen anymore. It is a sad fact that the older we get, the more disciplined we have to be with diet. I have found this to be true even when I am working out like a fiend. The problem with me is that the more I train, the more I want to eat like a lumber jack!!
2007-04-04 11:12 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, TX
2007-04-05 7:36 AM
in reply to: #749341

User image

poke4christ - 2007-04-04 4:35 PM Yesterday I made the comment in my blog that I "needed to get some things figured out". Well, here it is. I'm not loosing any weight. In fact, I'm gaining. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I know some of it is added muscle, but why I'm I not loosing my fat. I know my diet isn't that great, but Even when I've had a bad diet and little workout I've weighed less than this. I still try to keep the protien up and I'm not taking in a ton of calories. I only eat when I'm hungry. I just don't really get it. I thought more aerobic workouts would cause me to loose weight. What's up? Also, I don't really feel like I'm improving. I know I could use some more consistency in my workouts, but I would think what I'm doing would help some.

OK...first off, gaining weight is not necessarily bad.  If you are gaining muscle, that will help you in a race.  It means you are getting stronger, which we can all agree is a good thing.  In college, I had to trade the time I used to spend working out and playing sports for studying and busting my tail to put myself through school.  It didn't help that I was doing that by working at a brewery.  Needless to say, I gained a lot of weight my last year of college and had a really hard time getting it off.  The key you have to remember is consistency, both in diet and exercise.  Your diet "isn't that great" and that is probably a huge part of why you aren't seeing the results you want.  In order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you consume.  And you have to do this consistently.

Your body likes to regulate itself.  It doesn't like it when you throw something else into the mix... that's why you get sore after a hard workout.  Its really your body's way of saying, "What the heck was that?"  When you workout hard, your body retains water, noticeably.  After races I am usually around 4 lbs heavier than I normally am, and it will stay that way for a couple of days.  The same thing tends to happen if you aren't working out consistently.  Your body goes through the "what-the-" stage a lot more and will retain water.  Its not a bad thing, but it just happens.

And along the same lines with the regulation thing... if you are doing the same workout everyday, over and over, your body will adjust and stop responding.  Its called a plateau.  You need to mix up your workouts so that you never get to the plateau phase.  For example, do a bike-focused week, where you cut out a swim/run workout or two and go for a bike ride instead.  The next week do a swim-focused week.  Or do a volume week one week and an intensity week the next week.  I have other ideas that I would be glad to share if you are interested.

I'm rambling, but the bottom line here is consistency.  This is not something you can do half-time and expect to see results.  Commit to it and you will see a difference very quickly.

2007-04-05 7:59 AM

User image

Zach:  After looking over your logs a little bit more, I have some suggestions for you.  Just suggestions, but it might help you in your consistency.

1.  Plan your workouts a week in advance.  Decide how much time each day you will have to workout.  Then fill in those time slots with a workout.  Tape it to your fridge, closet door, bathroom mirror, whatever... just put it somewhere you will see it a lot.  Its there as a reminder.  And it will make you feel guilty if you miss a workout.  (for me, the guilt is more painful than just getting out and doing it)

2.  No fast food.  I know those words a like poison to college kids, but just don't do it.  Subway is an exception... as long as you get a healthy choice (stay away from the meatball sub.  Its worse than a burger).

3.  Eat a salad everyday.  I get bags of pre-made salad from the produce section and eat half the bag for lunch, then eat the other half the next day.  Covering it in salad dressing, cheese and other good stuff doesn't count and makes it unhealthy.

4.  Try to eat 6 meals a day.  3 full meals, 3 little meals.  Full meal = carb serving, protein serving, veggie.  Little meal = carb serving, protein if you can.  Examples:  Full meal = pasta with marinara sauce, scoop of cottage cheese, fruit or veggie.  Salad with light dressing, tuna, cottage cheese, bagel.  Little meal = Clif bar or protien shake (Slim Fast-high protein, Boost-high protein, or self-mixed with protein powder)

5.  Keep portion sizes down (about the size of your fist). 

6.  Try to eat lean protein at least 3 times a day (lean protein = chicken breast, ground turkey, lean red meats, cottage cheese, fish, nuts etc) I have followed the Body-for-life program in the past and its wonderful.  Great for triathletes! 

2007-04-05 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
I just want to echo what some of the others have said.  Over the past 10 years, I've stopped and started exercising several times, and every time I start back up again I tend to gain 5 or more pounds at first.  Then, after several weeks the weight starts coming down.  Consistency is the key, as well as trying to eat better.  I can't eat like I used to in High School any more, or I gain weight like crazy.
2007-04-05 8:26 AM
in reply to: #749874

User image

erjellum - 2007-04-05 8:20 AM I just want to echo what some of the others have said.  Over the past 10 years, I've stopped and started exercising several times, and every time I start back up again I tend to gain 5 or more pounds at first.  Then, after several weeks the weight starts coming down.  Consistency is the key, as well as trying to eat better.  I can't eat like I used to in High School any more, or I gain weight like crazy.

Yeah, definitely can't eat like I did in high school... but then again I worked out almost 8 hours a day back then.  Yeah, I'm crazy; always have been.

Hang in there!  Be patient with yourself.  OH!  I just thought of another suggestion!  STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!  If you absolutely must, allow yourself to do it ONCE a week.  Weigh yourself in the morning, the day AFTER your rest day, before your workouts, before breakfast.

2007-04-05 6:41 PM

User image

Regular
I fear our group is suffering the same effects of the 10 Little Indians. I have officially deleted some of the original members of our group off my training page. Moment of silence please........... OK, I vow to stay with this training all season no matter what. I will re-evaluate next fall. Until then, train, train, train. Thanks TriOk and the rest of the mentor group for the advise and quality conversations.
2007-04-05 10:21 PM
in reply to: #750796

User image

Expert
I agree, we seem to be shrinking in numbers. However, those that remain seem to be a hearty bunch. I think that although Robyn's initial commitment for this was like 12 weeks, she will have a hard time seeing the "children" leave the nest...

Poke..you are still a baby at 23, don't sweat it...

2007-04-06 12:42 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

It's definitely been cool talking to you all over the last couple months.  It's been a great motivator!  I also like seeing how Robyn and Dan train and their results.  I'd like to get to that level of training as well - someday!

I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone does over the summer as we get into the races - including next weekend for Eric!  Then the following week for Robyn with her Olympic followed by a Marathon the week after that!Surprised

The challenge we did was also a good kickstart for me to get me up to more consistency.  Thanks for setting that up Robyn!

2007-04-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: #751057

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
willie05 - 2007-04-06 1:42 AM

It's definitely been cool talking to you all over the last couple months.  It's been a great motivator!  I also like seeing how Robyn and Dan train and their results.  I'd like to get to that level of training as well - someday!

I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone does over the summer as we get into the races - including next weekend for Eric!  Then the following week for Robyn with her Olympic followed by a Marathon the week after that!Surprised

The challenge we did was also a good kickstart for me to get me up to more consistency.  Thanks for setting that up Robyn!

That someday will be sooner than you think.  And don't forget that we are watching you too.  That's what I like about Tri's.  Everyone wants the other to do well.  Unlike I'm finding at pure cycling and running events, it's about the other person doing poorly.  Such a different atmosphere.

You 'guys' rock!!

2007-04-06 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Yeah, it's been fun keeping up with everybody's logs, and the interaction with everyone in the group.  I'm predicting a good year for everybody.  Keep up the good work!
2007-04-06 10:00 AM

User image

All of you guys have done so well in coming this far.  True, we've had some that didn't stay with us, but I expected that.  This sport takes a lot of commitment.  Its not something you can wake up and do one day.  Its been a lifestyle change for me, and as a result, I am a completely different person today than I was a year ago.  I think its been a change for the better.

Its been really cool to watch your progress in the short amount of time you guys have been at this.  I can't wait to read your first race reports for your first tris!

2007-04-06 7:09 PM
in reply to: #751359

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: triOK\'s Group - FULL
So Sydney Crosby was on the Jim Rome show today. Rome asks him about Pittsburgh and he says, \"It\'s great. Except that freiken triathlete guy won\'t name his dogs after me or let me date his daughter!!!!\".....

2007-04-06 10:01 PM
in reply to: #752023

User image

Veteran
Virginia

gator22 - 2007-04-06 8:09 PM So Sydney Crosby was on the Jim Rome show today. Rome asks him about Pittsburgh and he says, \"It\'s great. Except that freiken triathlete guy won\'t name his dogs after me or let me date his daughter!!!!\".....

I'd never heard of Sydney Crosby, so I had to look him up on Wikipedia.  You can tell I'm not a hockey fan.

2007-04-07 9:16 AM
in reply to: #752023

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

gator22 - 2007-04-06 8:09 PM So Sydney Crosby was on the Jim Rome show today. Rome asks him about Pittsburgh and he says, \"It\'s great. Except that freiken triathlete guy won\'t name his dogs after me or let me date his daughter!!!!\".....

Cool  Good one!

2007-04-09 7:04 AM

User image

So did the Easter Bunny bring you all something yummy.  I must have been bad this year... he skipped my house.  But maybe that's because he didn't want to trash my tri diet.  I WANT CHOCOLATE AND JELLY BEANS!
2007-04-09 7:13 AM
in reply to: #753376

User image

Expert
Having a ton of kids around for Easter makes it impossible to stick with a diet...This weather is also ruining me..My bike is going to file for a divorce pretty soon...
2007-04-10 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how best to taper this week.  I was thinking of riding to work like normal tomorrow, and swimming Thurs and running Friday, but drive to work on Thurs and Fri so that I'm not doing two sports in one day.  It's seems like going from Wed until the race Sun would be a long time to go without biking though.  Plus, it's calling for rain tomorrow.  Maybe I could take a rest day tomorrow, swim Thurs, ride to work on Friday, and just do a really light run on Saturday.  Does that sound like a good plan?  This seems complicated, trying to cut back on the training, but making sure I'm still maintaining all 3 sports.

2007-04-10 8:23 AM
in reply to: #754950

User image

erjellum - 2007-04-10 8:03 AM Ok, I'm trying to figure out how best to taper this week.  I was thinking of riding to work like normal tomorrow, and swimming Thurs and running Friday, but drive to work on Thurs and Fri so that I'm not doing two sports in one day.  It's seems like going from Wed until the race Sun would be a long time to go without biking though.  Plus, it's calling for rain tomorrow.  Maybe I could take a rest day tomorrow, swim Thurs, ride to work on Friday, and just do a really light run on Saturday.  Does that sound like a good plan?  This seems complicated, trying to cut back on the training, but making sure I'm still maintaining all 3 sports.

Awww... the taper madness starts.  Don't fret it.  Here's my opinion on tapering/racing.  Sunday is going to hurt.  You are going to push yourself to your absolute limits.  Your body needs to be fresh to be at its best.  At this point, you aren't going to gain anymore fitness for the race.  You aren't going to lose any either.  Right now, you should be resting, since that is what is going to help you the most.

Today is Tuesday... if you want to do an easy run today or tomorrow, go ahead; 3 miles in Z2 max.  After tomorrow, no more running since the impact is stressful on your legs.  Maybe an easy bike or swim on Thursday.  Friday and Saturday is rest, rest, rest.  Sunday is go time!  That's it.

You will see the most benefit from being totally rested.  You just have to trust me on this one.  I know you feel like you should be doing something, but at this point sneaking in another workout will hurt you more than help you.

I start my taper tomorrow.  Expect a lot more mindless, rambling posting going on as the madness kicks in.

2007-04-10 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Robyn is totally correct.  You will feel flat and lazy a couple of days before a race if you are tapering properly.  And that will allow your body to absolutely crush things on Sunday.

Personally, I found swimming easy is a good way to just work the body a bit but not trash your legs.  But keep in mind, you don't get a benefit from a workout until about 5-6 days AFTER you're done with it.  So nothing hard.

2007-04-11 8:16 PM

User image

YOOOOO HOOOOOO!?!

I did my LT test today.  Oh.my.god.that sucks.  But now I can embrace the taper....

2007-04-12 6:33 AM
in reply to: #758044

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
triOK - 2007-04-11 9:16 PM

YOOOOO HOOOOOO!?!

I did my LT test today.  Oh.my.god.that sucks.  But now I can embrace the taper....

How did it go?  What disipline did you do it in?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19