BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-01-26 7:52 AM

User image

Subject: triOK's Group - FULL

Hi!

My name is Robyn and this is my second season as a triathlete.  I started training last April and have since made it a part of my life.  I am currently training for my first "A" race of the season - Playtri, a quarter Ironman, in Dallas.  I hope to complete the Redman HIM by the end of this tri season.  I also have a few more sprint tris, another marathon, and a few more centuries lined up for this season.  I hope to get through it all strong and injury free so that I can take on IMAZ next year.  Last year, I competed in the Oklahoma City SuperSprint and the Concreteman Olympic triathlons, and the Tinman and the Chris Brown Memorial duathlons.  I also completed the Hotter N' Hell century and the Tulsa Tough metric century bike rides, and an assortment of local mountain bike races.  I also ran the Route 66, my first marathon. 

Edited to add more about life in general:  In addition to a busy training schedule, I work full-time as a chemist for a large company, and I am studying public health in grad school  as well.  I have a wonderful husband and 2 gorgeous puppy dogs that love to double as running partners.

As far as weightloss is concerned, I have the opposite problem.  I cannot seem to maintain a healthy training weight.  Just like all triathletes, though, I need to watch my nutrition.  I tend to let stress take over and I don't get enough of the good stuff.  I am working this season to change that.

Edited by triOK 2007-02-07 6:12 AM

2007-01-26 5:22 PM
in reply to: #668669

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: triOK - OPEN
Hi Robyn,

I am interested in joining one of these mentoring groups. A little about me : I have a pretty demanding job as a Police Detective in upstate NY. I am a member of the SCUBA team, so I do get paid to swim sometimes. As far as my training, I was a soccer player in college, but got pretty chubby from work and family stress.

I am recently divorced and would like to do a sprint tri to sort of motivate myslef to get back in shape. I have two children (5 and 7) and they think it is cool. I have been running for a couple of months anywhere between 3 and five miles at a slow 9:30 pace both indoors and out. We have a lot of snow now, so probably more inside for now. I bought a nice Giant OCR3 road bike, but it will probably be a while before I get it on the road, as for now I am riding a spinning bike for 1- 1.5 hours at a time. I have not been swimming too much, but I can hold my own there and it should come back relatively quickly.

My limitations are a lower back that I had surgery on for a herniated disk in 2003 and a torn ACL in my left knee in 98. Both feel pretty good these days. I am a big guy 6'0 235 and I would like to get to around 210. I don't want to be much smaller than that because I sometimes have to fight with people at work, unfortunately.

I am signed up for a sprint in the frigid finger lakes 6/10/07, so I would love any advice on racing "early" season in the northeast. I just don't want to finish last....

Kirk
2007-01-29 9:45 PM
in reply to: #669370

User image

Welcome to BT Kirk!  Sounds like you are off to a great start with your training!  From what you have posted, you should do great in your first tri this season.  I will see what I can find for you in race wise so that we can nail down a goal for you.

Personally, nothing motivates me more than a race.  I'll have to get back to you on that one though.

In the mean time, check out www.trifind.com.  On the left, click NY and it should take you to all of the races NY has to offer.

2007-01-29 9:53 PM
in reply to: #672238

User image

Expert
Thanks Robyn,

I am actually signed up for the Keuka Lake Sprint on 6/10. It is a pretty hilly area with potential for windy and wavy open water that might be as cold as 50 degrees. It sounds like it sucks but it is our only option up here in June.

Right now, I am just trying to do as much as I can. I looked at some of the beginner programs. I think I need a little more time training than they give though. I would like to lose wieght too and at least with running, I am way ahead of the curve as far as time, not speed. With swimming, I am going to start plugging away this week and see where I am at.
2007-01-31 12:33 PM

User image

It took me a bit to catch on, but you are a fellow Giant rider!  Very cool!  I love mine... Giant TCR 2.  And she's RED!  I call her "SuperFly." 

How's the swimming coming along?  If you haven't checked out the Challenges forum yet, now is a great time to get in on a swimming challenge for the month of February.  I have found in the past that the challenges there are a great way to increase your volume and give you a little extra push in your training.  The swim challenge this month is an individual challenge, but in the past, they have done team challenges that are a lot of fun... tons of trash talking in the forum, but all in the spirit of friendly competition.  In the end, everyone benefits.

I have pledged to swim 3x a week (which might not be a lot to some, but with my schedule, that is all I can handle right now) for an hour.

Anyway, its something to think about....

Edited by triOK 2007-02-01 9:17 AM
2007-01-31 12:52 PM
in reply to: #674284

User image

Expert
I thought I was a decent swimmer until I read stuff here! Let me ask you this..Do you think it is best to grind out swim workouts for a long continuous session or rest in between "sets" to build endurance? I see a lot of workouts that I would not even be able to finish without being rescued by a lifeguard..

And I am sooo ready to ride that GIANT(it doesn't have a name, but I will work on one) that I spent more money I don't have on a trainer. I also get out of work at midnight and I am in court a lot all day before my shift starts so it is nice to have an at-home option..

2007-01-31 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
hi my name is brian. this is my first week of tainin for a sprint triathlon. i love it and im very motivated to do this. ive been in soccer all my life so my fitness is alright. i had my first day of swimming tuesday. wow what a workout. ive been running about 20 min a day for the past few weeks. i can bike very well but all i have is a mountain bike with road tires on it.

im 6'7 220. what should my target weight be. and any advice or help trainin would be extremely appreciated. thanks
2007-02-01 9:01 AM
in reply to: #674635

User image

Hey Brian!  Welcome to the group!  I am glad to see that you are off to such a great start! 

Playing soccer will give you some huge benefits in training for triathlon;  the bursts of speed help to develop your speed skills and anaerobic endurance immensely.  But since there are 3 different disciplines that must be mastered here, you need to work on building a strong "base" for each them.  Endurance, not necessarily speed, is the key.  Speed comes later.  What good will it do you to be fast if you can't make the distance?  Play soccer all you want, just don't count it as a tri workout. 

Read up all you can about how to build a good base (which really means, you need to train your body to be able to exercise non-stop for and hour or two).  Concentrate more on volume (time spent training rather than distance or speed).  Increase your volume slowly (no more than 10% per week) to avoid injury and burn-out.  This is VERY important.  Burn-out, IMO, is more detrimental than injury.  If you burn-out, you might never come back.

Since you are new to swimming, and relatively confident in the other two disciplines, I would say that you need to spend most of your training time in the pool.  I would also recommend getting a copy of Total Immersion  (TI) and reading up on how to improve your swim stroke.  There are some that don't like TI, but I personally think its great.  When I started swimming a lot last year, I could barely swim a few laps without stopping.  After I started TI, I could swim 1.2 miles with no problem.  I use the technique and I think it works.

I know that is a lot to unload on you, but you are already off to a good start.  Train smart and more importantly, have fun!

2007-02-01 9:16 AM
in reply to: #674316

User image

I am just going to give you an opinion here... I am not an expert, so you might want to get a second opinion.

I think that in training sessions, you need to concentrate on improving your stroke, making it more efficient, and therefore, faster and more conservative.  Its really important in triathlon that you don't waste all of your energy in the swim.  Relatively speaking, you spend the least amount of time in the water in the race, but if you don't swim efficiently, you will zap your energy for the bike and run.

At first, do your workouts until you feel fatigued.  Then stop and rest.  When the recovery time isn't working anymore, its time to call it a day.  More specifically, your workout should have a purpose (and that goes for all workouts, not just swimming).  There should be an objective that you are working on.  When you are first starting out, your objective is endurance.  That means being able to go the distance.  If you are having trouble swimming 100 yds, without stopping, then trying to crank out a 500 yd swim isn't going to help much.  Break it down into 50 or 25 yd increments, until you can do them without trouble.  The next workout try to up that number a bit.  Personally, I have a hard time with long workouts of just swimming laps.  There are tons of swim workouts out there that could spice up your time in the pool and add a sense of purpose to your workout.  I have a copy of a set of pool workouts that a fellow BTer sent me.  I haven't looked through all of it yet, but it looks fun.  Let me know if you would like me to send you a copy.

2007-02-01 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
yea sure snd that copy on over i need all the help i can get. thank you for all your advice i greatly appreciate it. b
2007-02-01 3:37 PM

User image

Regular
Hello,

My name is Aaron and this is my first year training for a triathlon. I consider myself an above average athlete, but I could use a tune up. I group up playing football, basketball and track. Therfore all the disciplines of the triathlon were picked up after my early 20's. I am 31 years old and a father of 4. My build is 6' and 202#. I have a somewhat muscular build, but I do want to lose about 10 pounds. My goal is to complete a Sprint Triathlon this summer. I am currently training for the Keuka Lake Tri on 6/10/07 with my co-worker, Kirk (Gator22), who is also a part of this forum. My goal is to complete the tri with decent times. I am in my 4th week of training. I just switched this week from the 2 x week/20 wk program to the 3 x week/20 week program, because I felt like I was not training enough. Due to the sub-zero temps of upstate NY, I have done all my training indoors. I would like to get outside, but the temps are too cold for my blood. Do you think it is ok to train inside for the next month and still be on track for June 10th.
Swimming is definitely foriegn to me. Although it is getting better, I still feel drained in the pool (no pun intended). My first week I could only swim 6 laps w/o stopping. I am now up to 500 meters in about 10:00 minutes. Not impressive, but a big step from 4 weeks ago. My toughest part is consistant breathing and keeping my hips from sinking. Any suggestions? I am not too concerned about the bike and run. I love to bike and I can tolerate runs under 5 miles. One more questions. If I (we) intend on doing a tri in June, when should I (we) start our brick workouts. The program does not show brick workouts until the final 2 weeks of training. That sounds a little late to me.

Thanks for your time and services,
Aaron

2007-02-01 4:53 PM

User image

New user

Manhattan
Hi Robyn,

My name is Ty and I live in Manhattan. It looks like your Mentoring program is still open, so I hope you don't mind my joining in. I finally bought a road bike last year and I want to start a training program for a Triathlon this year. I'm still looking to see which one I should do and for how long. I ran a marathon and a few half marathons a while back, but I've continued running and I started biking when I bought my road bike in August and I just bought a trainer to ride my bike in my apartment while it is cold outside. Swimming is definitely going to take a bit more for me to get back into. I was on a swim team in middle school and learned the strokes and I can swim for days doing the breast stroke, but I tire quickly doing the free style/crawl stroke. I'm trying to build it up, and I am going to research that book you mentioned earlier in the thread, but I am wondering if you are allowed to switch strokes during the race, say if I get worn out and do a few breast strokes. Do people do that in a triathlon, is it even allowed? I'm also wondering where I should start, should I do a sprint or an Olympic or something in between?

Thank you,
Ty
2007-02-01 4:56 PM
in reply to: #675971

User image

Hi Aaron!  Welcome to the group! 

Let me answer your questions in parts:

Q:  Do you think it is ok to train inside for the next month and still be on track for June 10th.

A:  June 10th is a long way away...especially since you are in good shape already.  If swimming is your limiter, then swim, swim, swim.  You will be shocked at how much it can take out of you so early in the race.  Training indoors is fine; boring as hell, but completely fine.  Just work on building up your base.  Don't worry about dropping your times.  Endurance!

Q:  My toughest part is consistant breathing and keeping my hips from sinking. Any suggestions?

A:  Yes, get a copy of "Total Immersion"  It has helped me tremendously!  It will teach you to be balanced in the water and how to propel yourself forward like a fish, rather bulldoze your way through the water.

Q:  If I (we) intend on doing a tri in June, when should I (we) start our brick workouts. The program does not show brick workouts until the final 2 weeks of training.

A:  Do them whenever you think you can handle it.  Just don't injure yourself.  If you feel fatigued, you need to stop.  Injuries are very common in tris... pushing yourself too hard on a workout is not worth sitting out your entire tri season.

One last bit of advice that might help:  If you train inside (treadmill, bike trainer, pool), make sure you are switching up your workouts.  If you are on the treadmill, be sure to throw in some hills.  Bike trainer - ride the big ring for 5-10 min.  Push yourself, then back off and recover.  Not only does it improve your fitness, but it also will keep the boredom at bay.  Also, get an iPod... they are essential in indoor training!

2007-02-01 7:03 PM

New user

Hi Robyn,

I am looking to start doing Tris this season. I have been a competitive athlete in the past but have not been training for the last 2 years. I ran Cross country in HS and competed in crew in college and I simply miss the competition and athletic lifestyle. I am 25 years old, and live in Central NJ and work as an Engineer in Princeton. I just bought a new bike, which I am really excited about riding more often. I would love to join your group and really start planning for a successful season. Thanks for being a mentor!

~ Michael
Kepler57
2007-02-02 10:44 AM
in reply to: #675971

User image

Expert
Aaron is a sandbagger. He is a bike NAZI. Last year he did a century ride in the mountains in California and I think he even won a stage at the Tour De France at some point....There is an excllent picture of him looking like a bad on his profile too..
2007-02-02 10:56 AM
in reply to: #676862

User image

Regular
Nice Kirk! Now I know why you wanted me to join this forum. So you can "ride" me. I'll get my digs in later once I get intt shape. Where were you this morning? Drop the pottery class and get training. Speaking about sandbagging. What about the "Escape from Alcatraz" swim you did when you placed 9th in 2004.

2007-02-02 2:02 PM

User image

detroit
Hello everybody,

First-time poster here, so be nice.

I'm a 30-year old writer in Detroit planning for her first tri in June.

I've been athletic my whole life, but am not in my best shape ever these days - I spent the back end of 2006 recovering from a broken bone in my foot and then a surgery...

Now that I am back in action, I have a few goals - in addition to the tri.

-losing some weight - 10-20 lbs. - not as concerned with the number of pounds as much as with how I look and feel.

-improving my running. It seems like swimming tends to be most people's achilles heel, but mine is most definitely running. It hurts my knees and my shins and I find it boring. I love biking, that is like my base exercise & mode of transportation 5 months of the year - and I find swimming very therapeutic and relaxing. I'm not fast, but can go for an hour no problem rotating through 3 strokes.

I annually do a 4-mile run on our big St. Patrick's parade day, so I have that coming up. I'm building back slowly after the broken bone - I'm up to 1 10-minute mile and 2 12-minute miles.

-improving my flexibility. Even when in the best shape of my life, I have been extraordinarily
inflexible - I have never been able to touch my toes. I am stretching everytime I workout - between cardio & strength training - but am wondering if I should throw a pilates class into my mix. Don't say yoga - it is just too "zen" for me.

I am hoping this whole forum thing helps me stay motivated and even pushes me.

Take care,
parker
2007-02-02 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Hi Robyn,

My name is Erik and I live in the Shenandoah valley of Virginia. I was a pretty good athlete in High school, but got out of shape in college. I got back in shape after I graduated, but stopped exercising when my daughter was born 5 years ago so that I could spend more time with family. After hurricane katrina hit, I got fed up with the high gas prices, and I wanted to get back in shape, so I decided to start biking to work. It's close to a 15 mile round trip. After doing that for a while, I decided to start meeting a friend to run twice a week before work. With the exception of one masters swim meet 5 or 6 years ago, I haven't competed in anything since high school, but I always wanted to do a triathlon. So, I decided to sign up for one in April. I've never done a tri before, so I've been doing tons of online research. I think I'm going to have tons of questions.  Thanks for being a mentor!  I hope it's not too late to join your group.

-Erik 

2007-02-03 7:31 AM

User image

Hi

I´ll like be part of this group. My name is Grisel.Last year I did 2 races, but then I hurted my knee back in july and it was misdiagnosed (Patelar tendonitis) Last december I was diagnosed with IT band friction syndrome. I´m doing a lot of streching, I go to a massage therapist (which has helped me a lot), i walk almost everyday. I started a weight program to streghtened by quads,inner tights and hamstrings as suggested by the doctor. Last week for the first time i rode my mountain bike twice 10 miles each I felt from 1-10, 10 being best a 4.
Prety much my workout plan is as follows Monday-Core (morning),(afternoon)hips,inner tights and walking; Tuesday/Thursdays(morning)Yoga,(afternoon)Weights (at gym total body with focus on legs) walking;Wednesday (morning) Streching and core(afternoon)hips,inner tights and walking,Friday(morning) Pilates and core (afternoon)walk, Saturday Streching and Sunday cycling. I decided to build my strenght before starting swimming, biking and I´m not able to run yet. Any suggestions on my workout plan? How would i know when to start running?
2007-02-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: #676062

User image

Regular
I ordered the book from Amazon for $10. Thanks for the advice.

aaron
2007-02-04 8:17 PM

User image

Subject: RE: triOK - FULL

WOW you guys... I left for a few days and look what happens!   Sorry about that, I didn't mean to abandon you.

Well, we have a full group now!  And what a great group!  It sounds like everyone has got a pretty good athletic background and a great start to their training programs.  There were some questions asked that I need to answer and I will get to them one at a time.

First, make sure that everyone here adds the other members of the group to their "friends" list.  We are all family now!  There really is nothing better than to wake up in the morning at 5:30 to see that someone has already left you an inspire for the day.  And nothing makes me feel worse than if one of my friends notices I skipped my morning run.   Here is our "family"

gator22

stretchdew

firstriguy

TyroneNYC

Kepler57

KbKay

eriellum

yubi

triOK

2007-02-04 8:20 PM
in reply to: #676056

User image

TyroneNYC - 2007-02-01 4:53 PM Hi Robyn, My name is Ty and I live in Manhattan. It looks like your Mentoring program is still open, so I hope you don't mind my joining in. I finally bought a road bike last year and I want to start a training program for a Triathlon this year. I'm still looking to see which one I should do and for how long. I ran a marathon and a few half marathons a while back, but I've continued running and I started biking when I bought my road bike in August and I just bought a trainer to ride my bike in my apartment while it is cold outside. Swimming is definitely going to take a bit more for me to get back into. I was on a swim team in middle school and learned the strokes and I can swim for days doing the breast stroke, but I tire quickly doing the free style/crawl stroke. I'm trying to build it up, and I am going to research that book you mentioned earlier in the thread, but I am wondering if you are allowed to switch strokes during the race, say if I get worn out and do a few breast strokes. Do people do that in a triathlon, is it even allowed? I'm also wondering where I should start, should I do a sprint or an Olympic or something in between? Thank you, Ty

Hi Ty!  Welcome to our group!

So you have a marathon under your belt?  Great!  Since your running fitness is obviously okay, I would definitely suggest major pool time.  In a triathlon, you can use any stroke you want that gets you out of the water.  But since our goal here is to get you out of the water quickly and fired up for the bike, I suggest working your freestyle until you do it in your sleep.  I learned the hard way just how difficult it is to come off of an exhausting swim and try to crank out 20 miles at 20 mph with people chasing you down.  Nail that swim.... I can't stress that enough.

Edited by triOK 2007-02-04 8:32 PM
2007-02-04 8:26 PM
in reply to: #677250

User image

Hi Parker!  Welcome to BT!  Becareful with that injury!  Too much too soon and you will regret it.  Keep us posted on how it feels and what your training is like.  We all hate to be on the injured list...

In the meantime, keep up the great work!

2007-02-04 8:39 PM

User image

OK... I don't know if I got to everyone, but I will catch up the next few days.  Be sure to do your homework and inspire everyone in the group sometime over the next few days.

Also, everyone should have a race picked out by now that they are training for.  If you need some help finding one, let me know!  There are some cool races out there and its not hard to track them down.

Anyone who has questions about anything, fire away.  I guarantee that if you are asking, them someone else is wondering about it too.

BTW, Happy Super Bowl Sunday everyone!  I hope you stuck to your tri diets!

2007-02-05 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Ok, I've got a couple questions for you. The tri I'm doing has a pool swim, and I was wondering if it's possible to leave a towel or chamois or something near the pool area so I could grab it and dry off a little as I'm running to the transition area. Obviously, we want to take as little time in the transition area as possible, but I figured it might be a little chilly riding a bike soaking wet in April. What do people normally do?

Also, I've read that it's a good idea to get a running belt to attach your race number. Do you only wear the number in the running part, or is it also worn during the bike stage? It seems like it would be flopping around like crazy from the wind during the bike.

Thanks!

-Erik

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19