United States
Race Day Events
70F / 21C
Total Time = 41m 59s
Overall Rank = 4/368
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 4:30 am after chaperoning (sp??) the local high school prom the night before (my wife's a teacher), drank some coffee, ate a granola bar and hit the road at about 5:10am. Arrived at the event at about 6:40, checked in, unpacked, etc.
Event warmup:

Ran about 10-15 minutes with some pick-ups followed by about 300 meters in the heated outdoor pool. Everthing was fine until I had to get out and stand on the deck until it was my turn to start. Let's just say that high 40's and being wet really don't mix all that well.
Swim
  • 06m 13s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Definitely a pretty good swim for me, especially considering that I wasn't able to do any flip turns due to congestion in the pool. Still, I managed to draft off the woman in front of me (who I happened to know was a former swimmer at UT) for most of the race. This really let me save a little energy and just cruise.
What would you do differently?:

Really I wouldn't do anything differently. 400m is so short that killing yourself for a few extra seconds probably isn't worth it (or maybe it is, see comments below).
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 time is counted in the bike split, so I'm not sure how fast I was. Still, I felt pretty smooth.

Nothing
Bike
  • 18m 16s
  • 6 miles
  • 19.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt as strong as I ever have on the bike. Passed lots of people and never got passed (a first for me). The course was a little technical and this was my second time outside on the tri bike, but I manage to handle things pretty well. I think I had a guy drafting off me for a little bit, which really ticked me off. I managed to accelerate away from him up the main hill on the course.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition, especially for the first race of the year. Got held up just a little by the first place female coming out of the chute.
Run
  • 17m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 05m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

In the interest of full disclosure, this run course is not 3 miles. I wish it was, because that would mean I was running 5:50's. It's probably more like 2.75 miles. Still, it's pretty hilly. I passed 3-4 people on the run. As I crested the last hill and begain the last quarter mile or so to the finish I felt like was was going to be sick, so I slowed down just a little. In hindsight, I should have kicked really hard the last quarter.

Finish a little stronger
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged and stretched a little while I waited for my wife to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I rode 3 hours the day before and was out late that night, but really I don't think it would have made all that much difference had I rested. I'm starting to think that for shorter races, tapering, like Duke, is overrated.

Event comments:

When I saw the results the next day I realized I had missed 3rd place overall by 4 seconds. It really made me wish that I had kicked a little harder right at the end. I guess that's a lesson learned.

Still, this was a great result for me and gives me high hopes for the rest of the upcoming tri season.

Last updated: 2007-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:13 | 400 meters | 01m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 12/368
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: