Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-07-31 1:19 PM
in reply to: #800275

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - FULL
Hey everyone!

Sounds busy out there - we're in a lull for a few more weeks. Then soccer season starts and it's all over the place! It shouldn't be too bad, I hope, only one 13-year old to keep track of, but I swear my memory is slipping! A couple of weeks ago I registered for a race online, then asked my sister a few days later if she was going to register me or if I needed to do it myself! She looked at me like I was insane - but I'm just senile =). I can only hope I don't forget a soccer game this season (I've done that before, too).

Have fun at footoball practice!

Trish

2007-08-03 12:07 PM
in reply to: #907543

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-07-30 6:53 PM  It would be fun to plan a BT mentor group ride sometime!

I won't be doing a long bike ride this weekend (family stuff going on), but I plan on doing a long ride on Sat the 11th (probably from Solana Beach or Carlsbad up through Camp Pendleton and beyond).

Anyone interested? 

I will being going on long slow run early Sunday morning also (maybe San Elijo lagoon). 

2007-08-03 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
That bike ride sounds awesome - I've never ridden near Pendleton. If you have it mapped out I would love to see your route. I just got an awesome (free!) map from SANDAG for San Diego. It is the 2007 San Diego Region bike map that shows which roads have dedicated bike lanes, bike paths, share-the road-with-car lanes... I ordered it on the internet and can probably find the link again if anyone is interested. I goes up to Vista and Oceanside and south to the border.

I am doing the Camp Pendleton Sprint tri on Sat. August 11. I'm a little nervous as you are not allowed on the base until the morning of the race, but I am going to map it out with elevations to figure out my strategy (to add to my usual strategy of: don't forget to breathe while swimming, don't wipe out on my bike or get a flat, and don't fall over or puke on the run!).

I like that it is just a 500yd swim, and 5K run, but a 30K bike, since the bike is my stronger leg and I can make up a little time before my pokey-slow run.

Hope all is well with everyone and their training!
Carol

2007-08-03 2:13 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Danny,  so San Clemente tomorrow?  I might be up for that.  I'll have to check with the boss...errr my wife.  I wanted to do the long run too, but we have early morning plans on Sunday.  If it was later in the day I could make it, let me know.
2007-08-03 2:45 PM
in reply to: #912788

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

bubba76819 - 2007-08-03 12:13 PM Hey Danny, so San Clemente tomorrow? I might be up for that. I'll have to check with the boss...errr my wife. I wanted to do the long run too, but we have early morning plans on Sunday. If it was later in the day I could make it, let me know.

Bubba,  

I'm not riding tomorrow due to a family thing all day.  But I will be doing the long run on Sun.

Next week, I will be riding (Sat), and running (Sun).

Sorry about any confusion (including on my part... 

2007-08-04 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Danny,

You had asked me about Spinervals on one of the inspires you posted to my log - (I haven't quite figured out how replying to inspires works - where do replies go?, so I thought I'd transfer over here). Anyway, I haven't tried it, but do you need a trainer to do those? In order to have access to a pool, I have to pay for a gym membership, but is that something they might offer, or is it more a private thing? I'm mostly thinking ahead to my off-season training, of course - you'd never get me into a gym this time of year, UV irradiation notwithstanding. I've tried a spin class, but found it to be too "aerobic" (in the anaerobic-weightloss-I'm-going-to-the-gym-honey sense) for me. I'd like to get some halfway useful riding in over the few rainy weeks we have up here, so I can have that base built for next year ... but what are some cycling options (other than spin classes)?

Thanks
Trish

2007-08-06 4:37 PM
in reply to: #913690

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

NoSit - 2007-08-04 8:19 PM  I'd like to get some halfway useful riding in over the few rainy weeks we have up here, so I can have that base built for next year ... but what are some cycling options (other than spin classes)?

Hi Trish,

Yes you would need a trainer to do spinerval training.  You could buy a trainer to use with your own bike (I have a Blackburn trainer.  Here is a link to a trainer on the Spinerval website:  http://www.spinervals.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58&products_id=211).

Or you might be able to find someplace to "pay as you go" to attend their spinning class (and avoid a gym membership).

Here is a link to a Spinerval sample workout: 

http://www.spinervals.com/index.php?main_page=monthly_workouts

2007-08-06 5:08 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a moderate/long ride (about 50 miles) on Sat (8/11) and a 10 or 11 mile run on Sunday (8/12).

It's supposed to be a recovery week, since I'm doing a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks (8/19).
Maybe a little heavy for my recovery week, but I'm trying to trend towards longer distances in preparation for IM Florida (Nov).

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in the ride/run, let me know.

The ride will start from Palomar Airport road and go north (through Camp Pendleton and beyond) starting at 7 am (probably around 3 hour ride).

The run will start at Fletcher's Cove (Solana Beach) and go through the San Elijo lagoon.  It will start at 6:30 am. 

The ride and the run will be a moderate pace (especially the run...yesterday's 14 mile run on the same area was at 11 min/mile).

I'll provide more details as needed...

Danny 

2007-08-06 7:03 PM
in reply to: #915493

User image

Regular
I'm interested in both - but we'll see how the week unfolds.    I'm so happy to see you back in action Danny - what a blessing!
2007-08-07 12:08 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
My softball team won in the semifinals last night (by beating the #1 team, 26-23) and we play on the championship game tonight!  WooHoo!!!!!
2007-08-07 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
You go Danny!!!

Maybe you and Bubba can wave as you go by Pendleton on Saturday - it might be hard to see me since I'll be just a flash of speed (ha-ha, I can only dream!).

Had a long ride on Sunday and felt soreness in my knee. The next day the outside and back of my knee were really sore - never had that before. I'm going to take it very easy this week. When I was younger I would have "run through it..." Now that I'm older (sigh...) it's all about injury prevention and being cautiious, I guess. I'll swim tonight and see how it feels.

Trish - where do those replies to encouragement go? Do you have to look on your own log for a reply, or got to the other person's log? I haven't figured that out either!
Have a great day everyone!

2007-08-07 4:00 PM
in reply to: #916686

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-08-07 11:30 AM You go Danny!!! Maybe you and Bubba can wave as you go by Pendleton on Saturday - it might be hard to see me since I'll be just a flash of speed (ha-ha, I can only dream!). Had a long ride on Sunday and felt soreness in my knee. The next day the outside and back of my knee were really sore - never had that before. I'm going to take it very easy this week. When I was younger I would have "run through it..." Now that I'm older (sigh...) it's all about injury prevention and being cautiious, I guess. I'll swim tonight and see how it feels. Trish - where do those replies to encouragement go? Do you have to look on your own log for a reply, or got to the other person's log? I haven't figured that out either! Have a great day everyone!

Hey Flash!

Ice that knee like crazy !!  I get soreness on the outside of knees and massaging the IT band (lateral edge of your upper leg from knee to hip) usually helps.  Maybe going someplace for a sports massage (Cassidy's Clinic in La Jolla is a good place).

Good luck on the race!  You always play your best sports when you are injured (well....sometimes....)  

2007-08-07 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Thanks Danny - feeling guilty about not training today or yesterday. I guess I'm hooked, huh? I think I'll do some core work, stretch, and ice it up tonight and see how it feels tomorrow. So weird, because my knee has never hurt from biking before. I'm also going to try to do the Nytro open water swim Friday morning (at MOonlight Beach). They are giving away one free entry to the Imperial Beach Sprint Tri. Anyone ever done that one? I've heard the water is not always sparkling clean.
Oh well, off the the freezer for my ice pack!
2007-08-08 6:30 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

We won the championship game in our softball league last night!!!
It was tied 15-15 in the top of the 9th inning. We were the home team and ended up winning 18-16.

Woohoo!!!!! 

2007-08-09 12:20 PM
in reply to: #918923

User image

Veteran
That's awesome, Danny! Congratulations! Sounds like it was a really exciting game. Was your family there cheering for you and your team?

Carol, How's the knee feeling after the ice? I had IT band issues years ago from rowing and stretching turns out to be the key for me - but I had to ice it to get the inflammation down, first, and I started dealing with it long before it was a serious injury. Now, I'm really careful to keep my legs well stretched at all times. I'm sure it looks dorky, but every time I find myself standing and waiting, I'm stretching my legs out (bank, grocery store, stop lights - when I'm walking, not in the car - everywhere!). For cycling, I find that the stretch that feels the best is to cross my ankle over the opposite knee, then squat and bend forward to stretch the gluteus and outside muscle(s?) on the backs of my thighs. For running, it's calves and fronts of thighs. Hope you have a great race this weekend!

Trish
2007-08-09 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Danny, that must have been such an exciting game! It sure does pay to have an IRONMAN on your softball team!!

Thanks for the info Trish - I really rested my knee and iced it good this week. Yesterday I had a great swim, zero pain. Today I am going to try an easy bike. It feels great now - I think I am saving my run for the race Saturday.

Last week I raised my bike seat a little (3 cm?). That's really the only change I can think of that would have affected my leg? Anyhow, I lowered it back down, and will keep stretching!

Happy training everyone!
Carol

2007-08-13 11:21 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Congratulations to Mutri (Josh) for finishing in 2nd place at the Oshkosh Triathlon (he rode the bike segment on a relay team)!

Way to go!!!!   He averaged over 23 miles/hr on the ride!!!!

EXCELLENT !!!!! 

2007-08-13 11:25 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hey Carol,

I stopped halfway through my bike ride on Sat at the Camp Pendleton Triathlon and looked for you.  I couldn't remember what color your bike is....I was cheering for someone riding a red bike (Specialized?).

I wasn't sure if it was you (spectators had to stay pretty far back), but I cheered for one lady real loud !!!!   If you were out there, I hope you had a great race.  It looked like everyone was having fun.

2007-08-13 12:08 PM
in reply to: #923716

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi Danny - thanks for the cheer! The bike segment was pretty intense. There were about 6 of us that really pushed each other the whole way - I felt like I couldn't stop pedaling for an instant! I actually had a really fun ride even though: 1) I lost one of my water bottles at about mile three, and 2) at about mile 13 or so I must have hit a pothole and my hand bounced up off my aerobars and seriously smacked the bottom of my sunglasses. I am now the proud owner of one ginomous black eye! Swelled up pretty good during the run, and now it is just many lovely shades of red, purple and black. What a fab souvenier!

The swim went well - transition closed at 7:45 and my wave did not start until 8:54. I had plenty of time to get in the ocean and warm up.

The run kicked my butt. I really need to work on all of it - speed, endurance, form. It was pretty hot and all on cement, crisscrossing all over the hovercraft base. Just when I thought I was near the finish, there would be another turn around and loop through another area. I passed so many people on the bike, and I think they all passed me on the run.

The race was super organized and all the "volunteers" were marines. Pretty funny being encouraged the whole way by "You can do it Mam, Keep strong ladies, nice even cadence, steady on...." The finish was actually through the chute and up over one of the hovercraft nad then down onto the ground again.

I think my time was about 1:59, which I was pretty happy with considering it was a 30K bike. 500m swim, 5K run.

Happy training today!
Carol
2007-08-13 10:35 PM

User image

Regular
Awesome Job Carol!  We're so proud of you!  Danny, I didn't know if you were still riding and running.  I ran 11 miles on Sunday with my wife, but maybe if you run a long one again we can tag along.
2007-08-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: #923818

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-08-13 10:08 AM ......I must have hit a pothole and my hand bounced up off my aerobars and seriously smacked the bottom of my sunglasses. I am now the proud owner of one ginomous black eye! Swelled up pretty good during the run, and now it is just many lovely shades of red, purple and black.

That's awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!  

We need to see a picture of the shiner !!!!!!!! 

Glad to hear there was no crash involved.  Sounds like it might have been a little scary for a moment there.... 

2007-08-14 11:26 AM
in reply to: #924706

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

bubba76819 - 2007-08-13 8:35 PM Awesome Job Carol! We're so proud of you! Danny, I didn't know if you were still riding and running. I ran 11 miles on Sunday with my wife, but maybe if you run a long one again we can tag along.

Jay,

Sorry about any confusion on the run....I assumed you couldn't make it.

I'm doing the AFC 1/2 this Sunday, but will be back to doing some long workouts the following weekend.  The guy I have been training with mentioned some others who are also training for IMFL and may want to do some group workouts.  I'm not sure what their schedule will look like but I hope it is Sat/Long Ride, Sun/Long Run.

I'm guessing I will probably be running around 14-16 miles on 8/26. 

2007-08-14 2:15 PM

User image

Regular
Now that I think about it, I have your cell number, so I should've called.  I'll try to reach you next week about the weekend training.
2007-08-14 3:48 PM
in reply to: #925626

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

bubba76819 - 2007-08-14 12:15 PM Now that I think about it, I have your cell number, so I should've called. I'll try to reach you next week about the weekend training.

Sounds good.  Anybody else??? 

2007-08-17 1:15 AM
in reply to: #923818

User image

Veteran
Nice job, Carol. Really cool, souvenir, too! What do your kids think? My first tri - more than 15 years ago, now - was on an Army base and we had the same cheering section. Takes me back...

Anyway, nicely done, congratulations!

Trish

BTW-I'm going camping this weekend so I'll be offline til next Tuesday. Have a great weekend everyone!

Trish (again)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13