of 13

2007-05-14 4:07 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: dhyte's Group - FULL

User Name: dhyte

Story:

I am 43 and got interested in triathlons in 2003. My first race was a sprint in early 2004. My brother (jchyte) and myself have been encouraging/pushing each other all the way...it's been great. I still consider myself a beginner (even though I have 3+ years invested). I'm a middle/back of the pack clydesdale, and probably always will be.

I'm involved with triathlon because:

- I love it
- It's a great way to stay in shape
- You can hang put with other triathletes (a fun/crazy group of people) !
- It's a good excuse have a short work day !

Family:
I'm married, and have a 16 year old daughter. I am a Software Development Manager for a large Aerospace company located in San Diego, CA. I'm trying to decide which character in the movie "Office Space " is most like me.....

Training:
I am currently training for my second Ironman (IM CDA - June 24, 2007). I have raced Sprint, Olympic, Half and Full Ironman distances. I have run 5Ks through Marathon distance races (4 marathons under my belt so far).

I am mostly self-coached. My workouts are a combination of solo and group training. I swim with a Master's group and also participate in group workouts/activities with TCSD (Triathlon Club of San Diego).

I was a competative swimmer as a kid (through high school), but never was a runner/cyclist. I have played sports my entire life, but only became an "endurance athlete" in 2003.

I am currently following the Ironman training plan from Frey/Huddle's book "Start to Finish, Ironman Training ".

Weight:
I was just over 260 lbs when I started in 2003 - I'm 6'2". I vary around 235 these days. I would like to be 205, but my body seems to like 235 ... I guess that I'm a work in progress.

Edited by dhyte 2007-05-22 1:50 PM

2007-05-16 12:12 AM
in reply to: #800275

User image

Regular
Corona, California
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - OPEN

Hey Danny,

If there is still time/spot available, I would really like to join your group. I live in Lake Elsinore, few miles north of Temecula. I have one sprint under my belt, Jamba Juice '06, a half-marathon, and few small running events. The more races I do, I realize I still have much to learn about smart injury-free training and racing. I could really use some experienced input. I would really appreciate your advice or, what ever you have to offer.

I noticed you are a member of TCSD. I have recently joined the club myself; however, have not particpated in any of the club events, somewhat intimidating, I guess.

2007-05-16 5:04 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Danny,

I saw that you live and San Diego and are part of TCSD. I also live in San Diego and have been a member with TCSD for almost a year now. I just wanted to say hi first and I wanted to join your group. I'll right about me later, but its 3am and I just got home for work, but I had to check BT before I went to bed. It's awesome that you are being a mentor.
2007-05-16 7:36 AM

New user

Richmond, VA
Hello Danny and all.

My name is Ronn Stern, and I couldn't know less about Triathlons. I am 40 years old, 6' and 241. A very good friend of mine is a Triathlete and has been encouraging me to join him, and I finally agreed.

Having JUST begun the "Off the couch" program (the one with a lot of walking and not much running), I don't want take up a mentor's time. However, I would like to hang-out in this thread and try to learn what I can. Will the thread be available for viewing after all the mentor program slots are filled?

Thanks,

Ronn
2007-05-16 10:22 AM
in reply to: #802216

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Gary. 

Welcome to the group.  Glad to see another TCSD member too.  They have a lot of good stuff going on all the time, and maybe we can make some plans to ease you into more of it.

I was just up in your area last weekend (was driving to Corona).

I used to have a friend that lived right off of Telegraph Road exit from the 15.  I rode my bike up that monster hill (Summerhill Drive?) one time right before IMAZ last year.  It was a killer!

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to helping in any way I can.

Danny

2007-05-16 10:28 AM
in reply to: #802242

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

iwantotri - 2007-05-16 3:04 AM Hi Danny, I saw that you live and San Diego and are part of TCSD. I also live in San Diego and have been a member with TCSD for almost a year now. I just wanted to say hi first and I wanted to join your group. I'll right about me later, but its 3am and I just got home for work, but I had to check BT before I went to bed. It's awesome that you are being a mentor.

Hi Cortney,

Welcome to the group. This is awesome that there are other TCSD folks on BT!  I looked at your list of upcoming races and see that you are doing the SD International next month.  Excellent.  I have done that race 3 times and may be able to give you some good input.  I'll miss the race this year, as I will be doing IM CDA on the same day.

3 am???  Yikes...get to sleep!  talk to you soon.

Danny 

2007-05-16 10:34 AM
in reply to: #802311

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Ronn - 2007-05-16 5:36 AM Hello Danny and all. My name is Ronn Stern, and I couldn't know less about Triathlons. I am 40 years old, 6' and 241. A very good friend of mine is a Triathlete and has been encouraging me to join him, and I finally agreed. Having JUST begun the "Off the couch" program (the one with a lot of walking and not much running), I don't want take up a mentor's time. However, I would like to hang-out in this thread and try to learn what I can. Will the thread be available for viewing after all the mentor program slots are filled? Thanks, Ronn

Hi Ronn,

Don't worry about taking up my time.  Take as much as you like...no worries. This thread should be available indefinitely, so that won't be a problem.

Glad to see the big guys going for it.  I'm 43, 6'2, 239 and I love it when the big guys are kicking butt despite not being the "prototype build" for a triathlete.  I'm probably 80 lbs heavier than some of the people I ride with, so my mission in life is to keep up on the hills, and then blow by them on the downhill!

How far are you into the new training plan?  What is going well?  What is not?

2007-05-16 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi Danny, my name is Carol and I live in San Diego. I'm doing the Encinitas Sprint next weekend and have my eye on the SD Internaitonal Oly in June. I did a sprint tri a few years back, but it feels brand new again! I have a really supportive hubby and 4 boys (ages 12,11,8, and 5). I have not joined the tri club here in SD yet. I feel like my life is one giant, funny group ride, and my training time is the only time I have alone! Anyway, I feel like I may join soon to take part in clinics...
Had my first swim at Moonlight beach (surf entry clinic by Nytro). Pretty disastrous, so I went and faced my giants on Monday and did better. I still have lots of questions, and really want to push myself harder. Looking for some accountablility as well. I want to swim better, bike faster, and run longer this summer. Sound like a good match?
2007-05-16 10:53 AM
in reply to: #802714

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-05-16 8:40 AM Hi Danny, my name is Carol and I live in San Diego. I'm doing the Encinitas Sprint next weekend and have my eye on the SD Internaitonal Oly in June. I did a sprint tri a few years back, but it feels brand new again! I have a really supportive hubby and 4 boys (ages 12,11,8, and 5). I have not joined the tri club here in SD yet. I feel like my life is one giant, funny group ride, and my training time is the only time I have alone! Anyway, I feel like I may join soon to take part in clinics... Had my first swim at Moonlight beach (surf entry clinic by Nytro). Pretty disastrous, so I went and faced my giants on Monday and did better. I still have lots of questions, and really want to push myself harder. Looking for some accountablility as well. I want to swim better, bike faster, and run longer this summer. Sound like a good match?

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the group.

I will be a swim buddy at the Encinitas Sprint, so I hope to be able to meet and say hi!  I also swim at Moonlight Beach occasionally.  The water conditions there can vary quite a bit, and on some days can be tricky.  I'd like to know more about your experience at the surf clinic, and see if there are any tips I can give you.

As far as joining the tri club, it was an easy decision for me (I wanted the discount when buying equipment/supplies), plus all the other benefits they have to offer.  I have met alot of people through TCSD and train with some of them regularly.   You can join in some of the workouts as a non-member and sort of check it out if you're interested.

I'd be happy to help encourage, and keep you accountable, and help any way I can.

Danny 

2007-05-16 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Great! The clinic given by Nytro was awesome. They had wetsuits and goggles to demo, and lots of tips and encouragement. They demonstrated a surf entry and swam next to us, encouraging the whole way.

I am very used to swimming in a calm pool, usually the only one in the water. But the waves were pretty rough at moonlight beach. It was my first ocean swim and my first real wetsuit swim. I drank more seawater than I swam through. It took me forever to get past the surf (lots of goggles gettin knocked around...). Once I made it past the surf I was exhausted. Couldn't really put my head down and swim more than a stroke or two. Total survival mode, no form. I came out of the water looking like a shipwreck survivor and pretty humbled.

Thought about it (stressed aobut it!) all weekend, and went back Monday morning. Stood knee-deep in the surf for a ling time before I talked myself into diving in. Better experience, but I didn't go out too far becaurse I was alone. At least I was able to get my head in the water for a few strokes at a time. Finished by running up the beach and switchback into the transition area, winded, but I made it (much to the chagrin of those in the cars eating lunch and enjoying the view ?). I might go back Thurs morning to try one more time before Sunday. What does a buddy swimmer do?
2007-05-16 12:51 PM

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi Danny,

I would love to join this group if there is still room. I am doing my first tri this weekend (Encinitas Sprint too)! I'm in Orange County, a 28 y.o. former swimmer/runner - complete newbie (and clutz) on the bike. I've wanted to do Tri's for a long time and finally took the plunge. Assuming I enjoy this weekend, I would like to do the Oly at Wildflower (I'm a Cal Poly SLO grad) next year.

I also attended the Nytro clinic last weekend and can't decide wether or not to wear my wetsuit on Sunday. See Thread: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Any thoughts?

Anyway I would really appreciate being a part of a support group and your's sounds like a good fit. What do you think? I look forward to hearing from you.

Nikki

2007-05-16 2:55 PM
in reply to: #802886

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-05-16 9:47 AM Great! The clinic given by Nytro was awesome. They had wetsuits and goggles to demo, and lots of tips and encouragement. They demonstrated a surf entry and swam next to us, encouraging the whole way. I am very used to swimming in a calm pool, usually the only one in the water. But the waves were pretty rough at moonlight beach. It was my first ocean swim and my first real wetsuit swim. I drank more seawater than I swam through. It took me forever to get past the surf (lots of goggles gettin knocked around...). Once I made it past the surf I was exhausted. Couldn't really put my head down and swim more than a stroke or two. Total survival mode, no form. I came out of the water looking like a shipwreck survivor and pretty humbled. Thought about it (stressed aobut it!) all weekend, and went back Monday morning. Stood knee-deep in the surf for a ling time before I talked myself into diving in. Better experience, but I didn't go out too far becaurse I was alone. At least I was able to get my head in the water for a few strokes at a time. Finished by running up the beach and switchback into the transition area, winded, but I made it (much to the chagrin of those in the cars eating lunch and enjoying the view ?). I might go back Thurs morning to try one more time before Sunday. What does a buddy swimmer do?

Hi Carol,

I'm curious what time of the day you actually made it into the water during the clinic.  I've noticed that the water conditions seem to be tougher at Moonlight Beach later in the day.  I had a brutal swim there 2 weeks ago (late in the day)...toughest swim I've had in awhile.   But the water was unusually nasty that day.  The water is often calmer early in the morning, so that will likely help.

Are you pretty confortable diving under the waves/whitewash  as they are breaking?  Surf entry is all about getting under the waves, not fighting them.  Sometimes that means bobbing/treading water while the next wave gets close enough to dive/swim under.  Other times it means you actually have a little window of "clean/flat" water in between the waves (and enough time) to actually swim right at the wave (and duck under at the last second).  Some people will get "stuck" waiting for the set of waves to end...and they wait a LONG time.  When a large wave is cresting in front of you, it is not intuative to swim right at it, but that is the best plan.

Try to conserve energy.  Any race start usually invloves adrenalin, and going too hard, and having a major drop in energy after 1-2 minutes.  Go with the flow.  Swim assertively, but don't blow yourself out, especially if you are fight through rough surf. 

When the sets are coming so fast, or its so choppy, its hard to put together many freestyle strokes.  If you have to throw some breastroke in there.  You won't be the only one.

If you are swallowing water due to the rough conditions, try this:  Swim several strokes freestyle, and transition your arms into a single breastroke movement.  This will bring your head up out of the water, get a clean breath, and allow you to sight.  This will also reduce your "weaving" due to the rough water.

I personally have a longer, slower stroke when I swim.  This in not always a good thing when the water is rough (its hard to put together many consecutive strokes without getting pounded - as you noted).  I think a shorter/quicker stroke is helpful in choppy water.

A swim buddy just accompanies a swimmer that thnks they would be more comfortable with someone nearby.  Either new swimmers, or someone new to triathlon, or someone with some sort of issue/limitation.  More than anything, I end just encouraging the swimmer andthey do great.  There will be a group of swim buddies at the race, and as every wave goes out, anyone can indicate if they would like one.

I can't make it down to Moonlight Beach on Thursday, but a group TCSD are swimming Friday morning at Solana Beach (Fletcher's Cove).  Myself and others would be happy to help coach or give any tips.  We usually all go for breakfast right afterwards.  PM me if interested.  Otherwise, I'd like to plan to meet before the race, say "Hey" and help any way I can.

Edited by dhyte 2007-05-16 2:56 PM
2007-05-16 3:54 PM
in reply to: #803299

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Wow, I wish I had gotten all those tips before my first attempt! Now I am anxious to go out there and try again! The clinic was in the morning, I think we got in the water around 10:am. What time do you meet on Friday? I'm started to get excited about Sunday rather than just having the urge to throw up. Cool!
2007-05-16 4:43 PM
in reply to: #803472

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-05-16 1:54 PM Wow, I wish I had gotten all those tips before my first attempt! Now I am anxious to go out there and try again! The clinic was in the morning, I think we got in the water around 10:am. What time do you meet on Friday? I'm started to get excited about Sunday rather than just having the urge to throw up. Cool!

We usually meet at 6:30 at Fletcher Cove (sometimes the swim doesn't happen until closer to 7 am).  Here is a link with info:

http://www.triclubsandiego.org/events/375521.html

Wecould either do the regular swim with the group, or work on any techniques/issues that you would like.  Let me know.

I also plan to be at the race at 5:30 on Sun (meeting other swim buddies at the Volunteer booth).

2007-05-16 4:52 PM
in reply to: #803006

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

blondnik - 2007-05-16 10:51 AM Hi Danny, I would love to join this group if there is still room. I am doing my first tri this weekend (Encinitas Sprint too)! I'm in Orange County, a 28 y.o. former swimmer/runner - complete newbie (and clutz) on the bike. I've wanted to do Tri's for a long time and finally took the plunge. Assuming I enjoy this weekend, I would like to do the Oly at Wildflower (I'm a Cal Poly SLO grad) next year. I also attended the Nytro clinic last weekend and can't decide wether or not to wear my wetsuit on Sunday. See Thread: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Any thoughts? Anyway I would really appreciate being a part of a support group and your's sounds like a good fit. What do you think? I look forward to hearing from you. Nikki

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the group - glad to have you join us.

If there is any way you can borrow/rent a triathlon specific wetsuit before the rae, and actually get to practice with it at least once, you will be much better off than swimming without the wetsuit.

Your previous bad wetsuit experience is not a suprise, given it was a surfing wetsuit.
IF you want to PM me your size/build info, I may be able to help you locate a wetsuit and maybe possibly a roadbike.  Again, I wouldn't do/use anything on race day for the 1st time...you want no unknowns on race day.

What part of OC do you live in?  I gew up there, and graduated from Laguna Hills High School (class of '82.....that sounds soooo long ago...).

2007-05-17 12:58 AM

User image

Expert
Ok, now that I have a little time at work, I'll give everyone my little intro.

I am 25 years and I started doing triathlon in 2006. My first race was October 2006. I have always been interested in triathlons for as long as I can remember. I always remember watching the Ironman coverage when I was younger. I remember telling myself that looks pretty cool, I want to do that one day. Many years later hear I am, but unfortuantley I cannot run. I got injured while I was in the Marine Corps, and I have never been able to run since. I can do a little suffle, but it lasts no longer than a 1/4 mile, if that. So I walk the run during my triathlons. I got involved in triathlons 1. because I have always wanted to do it. 2. My husband is in the military and is always gone, so triathlons keeps me busy. 3. I get to buy cool looking stuff. 4. I want to loose weight. I have a husband who is the Marine Corps, who I rarely see, no kids, no pets, no family within 1900 miles. I'm a little unmotivated right now and its hard for me to train right now. I need a good swift kick in the a$$ to get me going. I work the graveyard shift from 5pm-5am for the Marine Corps, and I sleep most of the day, but I go to school at the same time, my plate is pretty full, so I try and squeeze in a swim, bike, or run in whenever I can. I figure I do this for fun, I'm not trying to place, all I want to do is finish with a smile :-) I have done want super sprint this year where I did my personal worse, but I can only improve from there. My plans for the rest of the year are Iron Girl Sprint in Texas, Iron Girl 10k Solona Beach, Los Angeles Olympic, Jamaba Juice Sprint, and Subaru Women's Sprint. I'm a member of TCSD, and I try to go to as much as possible, but usually when they have stuff going on I'm either at work or sleeping. With any luck my work schedule will change permantley here in the next month or two. My goal for this year is to use my races as training races, because I want to do the California HIM and Newfoundland HIM next year.

2007-05-17 4:19 AM
in reply to: #804068

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

iwantotri - 2007-05-16 10:58 PM I work the graveyard shift from 5pm-5am for the Marine Corps, and I sleep most of the day, but I go to school at the same time, my plate is pretty full, so I try and squeeze in a swim, bike, or run in whenever I can.  .

I think Cortney deserves some sort of reward for balancing a crazy schedule (graveyard shift, school and triathlon training).  Way to go Cortney!!!!!!!

Where do you do most of your training?  Are you doing any group stuff, or mostly solo?

2007-05-17 4:24 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hey everyone,

Since most of you are fairly close by, if you have time, come to the Encinitas Sprint Triathlon this Sunday morning. 3 of the group members (Myself, Carol, and Nikki) will be there.

You could encourage/cheer for Carol and Nikki while they race (I'll be volunteering as a swim buddy). You could also hang out and enjoy the whole scene!

I hope to see you there and be able to meet in person.

Danny

Edited by dhyte 2007-05-17 4:25 PM
2007-05-17 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi Danny and friends,

I'd like to join the group, too. I'm a NorCal gal - 40-something, one husband, one child (Nick-12 going on 13), two dogs, one cat, one job (days - kudos to Cortney for that schedule and all the extracurricular activities). I'm entered in my second sprint tri this June. My first one was nearly 16 years ago at the old Ft. Devens in eastern Massachusetts. I don't remember much from that one, so I'm hoping to have some (good) memories this time around (finish with a smile!).

My sister got me started training this winter, so I've been training regularly and I'm feeling pretty confident, maybe over-confident even. I didn't follow a plan, so I've had some rough spots and my cycling is still not where I'd like it to be most rides. I'm on my Trek aluminum hybrid commuter with clip-on aerobars (which I don't like much!). I'm entered in the TBF Racing Tri-for-Fun at Rancho Seco on June 9, so I'm starting my last 4 weeks of training for that and decided to finally follow a plan (the Balanced 16-week to Sprint on BT). My background is swimming - lake, ocean, pool - they're all pretty much the same to me. I've never had any problems swimming. Running is tough for me, but I'm getting used to that. My sisters and I also want to relay at the Eppie's Great Race in Sacramento in July - I got the short straw, the 10k, so I'll need to have some distance under my belt for that. We wanted to get our kids to race with/against us, but they're too busy (or too chicken!). Later in the year I'm planning to enter Luna Bar sprint, also at Rancho Seco and the Vineman Run, Girl, Run! sprint at Lake Berryessa in October or maybe Treasure Island in November (those are really big ones, so I'm a little intimidated).

I work at UC Davis as a lab assistant and have a really supportive cycling and triathlon community, although I haven't taken much advantage of it. I just joined the Mad Cows Racing Team and hope to do some training with them eventually.

This past week has been tough - some family problems came up that have kept me off the road and out of the pool since Monday and I'm hurting to get back. I'm hoping to jump back on the train today with a nice long run. Weight has never been an issue for me, but I have two sisters who have struggled all their lives, so I have a good ear and lots of empathy for that problem.

One question has been nagging me for a couple of weeks now - can we stop at the toilet at any point, or is that considered leaving the course? I tend to over-hydrate and really have to pee getting off my bike and I don't think running on a full bladder is a good idea. I'm not too fussed about my transition times this first time out, and I definitely don't want embarassing wet spots on my shorts at the finish line! I'm not afraid to go in the bushes, but there aren't any at Rancho Seco, just grassland as far as the eye can see.

Thanks for mentoring,
Trish
2007-05-17 6:32 PM
in reply to: #804093

User image

Expert
dhyte - 2007-05-17 2:19 AM

iwantotri - 2007-05-16 10:58 PM I work the graveyard shift from 5pm-5am for the Marine Corps, and I sleep most of the day, but I go to school at the same time, my plate is pretty full, so I try and squeeze in a swim, bike, or run in whenever I can.  .

I think Cortney deserves some sort of reward for balancing a crazy schedule (graveyard shift, school and triathlon training).  Way to go Cortney!!!!!!!

Where do you do most of your training?  Are you doing any group stuff, or mostly solo?

I do all of my training solo unfortuantley. I ride on Fiesta Island, that's they only place where I know is safe, and I don't know where else to go. I've never rode in traffic before. I run on the military base I work at, safest place I know, and I swim at the Wavehouse in Mission Beach. I'm thinking about joining a the Master's Swim at the JCC (Jewish Community Center) in La Jolla
2007-05-17 6:43 PM
in reply to: #805571

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

NoSit - 2007-05-17 2:43 PM Hi Danny and friends, I'd like to join the group, too. I'm a NorCal gal - 40-something, one husband, one child (Nick-12 going on 13), two dogs, one cat, one job (days - kudos to Cortney for that schedule and all the extracurricular activities). I'm entered in my second sprint tri this June. My first one was nearly 16 years ago at the old Ft. Devens in eastern Massachusetts. I don't remember much from that one, so I'm hoping to have some (good) memories this time around (finish with a smile!). My sister got me started training this winter, so I've been training regularly and I'm feeling pretty confident, maybe over-confident even. I didn't follow a plan, so I've had some rough spots and my cycling is still not where I'd like it to be most rides. I'm on my Trek aluminum hybrid commuter with clip-on aerobars (which I don't like much!). I'm entered in the TBF Racing Tri-for-Fun at Rancho Seco on June 9, so I'm starting my last 4 weeks of training for that and decided to finally follow a plan (the Balanced 16-week to Sprint on BT). My background is swimming - lake, ocean, pool - they're all pretty much the same to me. I've never had any problems swimming. Running is tough for me, but I'm getting used to that. My sisters and I also want to relay at the Eppie's Great Race in Sacramento in July - I got the short straw, the 10k, so I'll need to have some distance under my belt for that. We wanted to get our kids to race with/against us, but they're too busy (or too chicken!). Later in the year I'm planning to enter Luna Bar sprint, also at Rancho Seco and the Vineman Run, Girl, Run! sprint at Lake Berryessa in October or maybe Treasure Island in November (those are really big ones, so I'm a little intimidated). I work at UC Davis as a lab assistant and have a really supportive cycling and triathlon community, although I haven't taken much advantage of it. I just joined the Mad Cows Racing Team and hope to do some training with them eventually. This past week has been tough - some family problems came up that have kept me off the road and out of the pool since Monday and I'm hurting to get back. I'm hoping to jump back on the train today with a nice long run. Weight has never been an issue for me, but I have two sisters who have struggled all their lives, so I have a good ear and lots of empathy for that problem. One question has been nagging me for a couple of weeks now - can we stop at the toilet at any point, or is that considered leaving the course? I tend to over-hydrate and really have to pee getting off my bike and I don't think running on a full bladder is a good idea. I'm not too fussed about my transition times this first time out, and I definitely don't want embarassing wet spots on my shorts at the finish line! I'm not afraid to go in the bushes, but there aren't any at Rancho Seco, just grassland as far as the eye can see. Thanks for mentoring, Trish

Hi Trish,

Welcome to our group !!!  We're really starting to grow!!  Woo-Hoo!

Are you from Mass?  I'm originally from W. Mass (Springfield).  

Sounds like you have some good momentum on your training, and that little break between races is not causing any problems.

Regarding upcoming races, I noticed the Vineman run.  I did the Half IM Vineman a couple of years ago.  It was a beautiful course, but it was HOT !!  I wilted on the run due to not being prepared for that heat.  Let's plan on addressing racing in warm climates.

Regarding bathroom breaks:

Plan on peeing in the water prior to start of race.
If needed take the time to use the portopotties at T1 and T2.  Sounds like you don't mind the time hit, rather than being miserable or having any embarrassment.

I personally have a high sweat rate and have to make sure I hydrate adequately.  This is less of an issue on Sprint races for me.  I can go a little lighter on the fluids for this distance.  If you hydrate before the race, pee in the water, and then just sip as needed on hte bike/run, you can usually hold it to the end (of course this varies for different people).

A related issue is the technique of peeing on the bike (let's not go there for now....). 

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to helping in any way I can.

Danny 

2007-05-18 1:11 PM
in reply to: #805695

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

NoSit - 2007-05-17 2:43 PM I tend to over-hydrate and really have to pee getting off my bike and I don't think running on a full bladder is a good idea.

We should probably talk about your race hydration/nutrition plan.

Even I bigger guy like myself, who has a high sweat rate, has to be sure not to overhydrate. On a long course, I have a general goal of taking in 24-30 oz per hour, and 250-350 calories/hour. There is alot of debate over this, but you need to experiment in different conditions, and find out what is best for you. This includes finding a sports drink and nutritional products (e.g. gels), that work for you.

On a shorter course, I do the following:

Hydrate extra well 2 days before. Early, early on race morning I start sipping 1 bottle of sports drink of choice. I try to finish at least an hour before the race, in order to absorb the goodies, as well as have time to use the portopotty one last time before the race.

I may sip just enough water to keep my mouth from getting dry during that last hour. 15 minutes before the race I will take a gel (at the moment, I'm partial to Hammer Vanilla) with about 8 oz of water.

If possible, try to get in the water to pee one last time.

At that point, I'm good to go. I will have a bottle on the bike. I try to drink gradually throughout the bike segment, ending about 3/4 of the way through the bike (so I am not too full when starting the run).

I will then just carry water with me (only enough to wet my mouth) on the run.

If its Olympic distance, I use sports drink (I like either Powerbar Endurance, or Hammer Heed, sometimes with CarboPro mixed in) instead of water on run, and take another gel at start of run.

There's variations, and eveyone has a plan that works for them, but that's my general approach. I try not to over-hydrate, cuz it sucks trying to run when the bladder is not happy

Keep it simple, and don't do anything new on race day. You should practice your hydration/nutrition plan in advance.

Danny

2007-05-18 1:36 PM

New user

Richmond, VA
2 totally NEWBIE questions (apologies in advance)

What the HECK are gels?

And, what are aero bars?

2007-05-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: #806860

User image

Veteran
Subject: Hydration
Thanks, Danny. That's good advice. I think my problem is timing, more than volume. I tend to drink about a half liter in the last half hour before I go out, sometimes taking my last swallow on the way out the door. I'll work on stopping a half hour to an hour before I go and stop in the bathroom on the way out to see how that works for me. I just hate having a dry mouth (any advice for that?). I also try to get that amount of sports drink during my ride (they run 45-75 minutes, currently), so I think I'm fine there. I'll focus on the pre-ride for now.

I'm glad to hear there are potties in the transition area. That'll help a lot if I haven't figured out my system by then.

I went to graduate school at UMass Boston, and stayed to work for a few years after that, but I grew up in the SF Bay area and did my undergrad at UC Davis. Just moved back to Davis a couple of years ago with my family to be closer to our extended family. My husband grew up in Wayland, but his family has mostly emigrated out here, too. We were the last to make it.

I'm not sure about the July race at Rancho Seco, that may be pretty hot, but I'm going to wait til fall to do the Vineman course - should be a little cooler, although the lake will be way to warm for me. I like my water 68-70 F to swim efficiently.

Trish
2007-05-18 1:47 PM
in reply to: #807002

User image

Veteran
Subject: Another question
I just thought of another thing I've been wondering about. The races I'm planning to do this summer are on "open" roads (open to car traffic) during the race, so we're supposed to obey all traffic signals. What makes a stop? Does a stop sign require a foot-down stop? Or just slowing way down?

Thanks
Trish
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13