Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-08-31 12:53 PM
in reply to: #947990

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - FULL
Hey Cortney,

Glad you're getting some relief from the grind! You have an ambitious plan, either way, for next year! But I'm thinking you're well positioned. I hope the day-shift works out. It's really hard to have a life outside of work when you work nights.

One thing I've struggled with this year is the length of the season - I started training in March, racing in June and will finish up in early October, which is just a bit too long for me, I think. I had a really short base period, due to ignorance. I started to build almost right away. I'm thinking I'll do a really long base (maybe 16-20 weeks) starting in January and a couple of races for training purposes early (April-June), then start my build and focus on racing August-October. I'm going to move up to Olympic (if all goes as planned) next year, maybe I'll even try a half-marathon! 70.3 is a couple years off, I think, although I've been watching those Hawaii Ironman 2006 videos on YouTube and I'm feeling the pull ...

Cheers,
Trish

2007-09-04 10:59 PM
in reply to: #947990

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
iwantotri - 2007-08-30 6:11 PM

Hi everyone, I've been away for a while, but hopefully now things are slowing down. I got really busy at work, working 12 hours. Now things are starting to slow down and I can start to focus once again. I did the IronGirl Texas back in July, you can read my race report if you liked to see how I did/didn't do. My coach and I started working on a trianing plan for 2008. We have come up with two options, but depending on how my work schedule goes, we will decide here in a few months which to focus on. I hope to be getting a day shift here in the next month or so.

Option 1

1. Pacific Shoreline (Surf City) Half Marathon-Feb 3
  2. Ford Ironman California 70.3- March 29

I'll do this option if I start working days, it will give me more time to do 2 a day trianing and get a good amount of volume in.

Option 2

2. IronGirl Las Vegas Olympic Triathlon-April ??
  3. Mooseman Half Ironman-June 6-8

I may have to switch to another Olympic Distance on June 29 and do the LongHorn Half Ironman in Oct 2008.

Which ever option I do I'm doing a Half Ironman in 2008. Sprints seem to not challenge me. I'm slow but I'm always going to be slow, I'd rather do a longer distance for a little more $$$, and the further I go the better I feel. Doing sprints I feel like I just start getting warmed up and then it is over.

Hi Cortney,

- Will you have enough time to train over the holidays to train for both of the Option 1 events.  When I did an early year big race in (April), I found that I struggled with this.

- Will the weather be a factor for you?  I die in the heat...and the Cal half is sometimes very cold (especially the swim).  I personally like the cold better...

Is travel distance an issue?  If so, the Cal 1/2 maybe a great plan (it's a great race.  This will be my 5th year volunteering at this race).

Have you considered the 1/2 Vineman?  It's pretty warm in Santa Rosa in early august, but its pretty.

Danny

PS - nothing wrong with slow and steady !!! 

2007-09-04 11:08 PM
in reply to: #948723

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

NoSit - 2007-08-31 10:53 AM Hey Cortney, Glad you're getting some relief from the grind! You have an ambitious plan, either way, for next year! But I'm thinking you're well positioned. I hope the day-shift works out. It's really hard to have a life outside of work when you work nights. One thing I've struggled with this year is the length of the season - I started training in March, racing in June and will finish up in early October, which is just a bit too long for me, I think. I had a really short base period, due to ignorance. I started to build almost right away. I'm thinking I'll do a really long base (maybe 16-20 weeks) starting in January and a couple of races for training purposes early (April-June), then start my build and focus on racing August-October. I'm going to move up to Olympic (if all goes as planned) next year, maybe I'll even try a half-marathon! 70.3 is a couple years off, I think, although I've been watching those Hawaii Ironman 2006 videos on YouTube and I'm feeling the pull ... Cheers, Trish

Trish,

I was just looking at your logs.  In 4 months you have taken 10-14 days off of training.  I suspect you are a pretty active person, including stuff that does not show up in your training log.

Maybe you need to consider having some recovery weeks (not just lighter recovery workouts, but some more days off).

Your fitness level will not suffer if you have one week per month where you allow yourself3-4 days of rest.
I guarantee you will feel great and it will pay dividends in your race.  I personally need that sort of periodization, otherwise I don't have a good quality workouts, and I am more injury prone.

Danny 

2007-09-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: #952212

User image

Expert
dhyte - 2007-09-04 8:59 PM
iwantotri - 2007-08-30 6:11 PM

Hi everyone, I've been away for a while, but hopefully now things are slowing down. I got really busy at work, working 12 hours. Now things are starting to slow down and I can start to focus once again. I did the IronGirl Texas back in July, you can read my race report if you liked to see how I did/didn't do. My coach and I started working on a trianing plan for 2008. We have come up with two options, but depending on how my work schedule goes, we will decide here in a few months which to focus on. I hope to be getting a day shift here in the next month or so.

Option 1

2. Ford Ironman California 70.3- March 29

I'll do this option if I start working days, it will give me more time to do 2 a day trianing and get a good amount of volume in.

Option 2

2. IronGirl Las Vegas Olympic Triathlon-April ??
  3. Mooseman Half Ironman-June 6-8

I may have to switch to another Olympic Distance on June 29 and do the LongHorn Half Ironman in Oct 2008.

Which ever option I do I'm doing a Half Ironman in 2008. Sprints seem to not challenge me. I'm slow but I'm always going to be slow, I'd rather do a longer distance for a little more $$$, and the further I go the better I feel. Doing sprints I feel like I just start getting warmed up and then it is over.

Hi Cortney,

- Will you have enough time to train over the holidays to train for both of the Option 1 events.  When I did an early year big race in (April), I found that I struggled with this.

- Will the weather be a factor for you?  I die in the heat...and the Cal half is sometimes very cold (especially the swim).  I personally like the cold better...

Is travel distance an issue?  If so, the Cal 1/2 maybe a great plan (it's a great race.  This will be my 5th year volunteering at this race).

Have you considered the 1/2 Vineman?  It's pretty warm in Santa Rosa in early august, but its pretty.

Danny

PS - nothing wrong with slow and steady !!! 

With work my slow time is in the winter so I'm able to be more rested for training.  I hate training in the heat so cooler temperatures are right up my alley.  I've talked my husband into letting me buy a computrainer so I'll probably end up doing a computrainer ride for at least one of my trianing rides during the week.

My husband is in the military and I don't get to see him a lot during the holidays and I don't have family that lives here in SoCal so it's a way to keep me busy.

I live in San Diego by the airport so getting to Oceanside wouldn't cost me a thing.  My other option is not as aggressive but it will cost me more money travelling.  I'm still debating about which one to do, but most likely it will be option 2, with the help of my coach I shouldn't have any problems. 

If anything I'll volunteer at the HIM in Oceanside with TCSD.

2007-09-05 4:27 PM
in reply to: #953116

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

If anything I'll volunteer at the HIM in Oceanside with TCSD.

I am one of the Volunteer captains at Oceanside. Our team takes care of the "Hot Corner" at Harbor / Pacific and is an awesome location (close to finish line, see athletes comin in/out and bike and run). We have a great group, and we usually do something "extra" for our volunteers, since its a tough job.

The TCSD group usually covers one of the Run aid stations.

Even though I'm a TCSD member, I got pulled into leading this other volunteer team, and this will be the 5th year out there. If you're interested, let me know as it gets closer.

And if you end up racing, we'll be right there to cheer you on !!!

Danny

2007-09-05 5:20 PM
in reply to: #952220

User image

Veteran
I suspect you're right, Danny. For some strange reason I can't seem to "get" the concept of recovery - I usually ratchet up the intensity a bit during my "recovery" sessions. I guess I'll have to just start taking some time off *sigh* to keep me honest! And healthy!

Thanks for going through those logs for me!

Trish

2007-09-11 11:18 PM
in reply to: #800275

User image

Veteran
Hey y'all, how's everyone doing? I'm sore as I've ever been - my sister and I went for a 26 mi bike ride on Saturday and went over a real hill. We both ended up walking a significant portion of it, but managed to ride down! My arms were almost as sore as my legs from holding my brakes, which I thought was pretty funny.

Then I refereed 2 soccer games in the afternoon, so I had my share of running, too! It was fun, but it's taking a while to recover!

Anyone racing this week or anytime soon?

Trish
2007-09-25 3:24 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi guys!

Just checking in with everyone....

I've pretty much let this thread go dormant.....

I hope everyone is training away and doing well in general.

I'm still training as much as possible. I did tweak my left Achilles over the weekend and am still limping around a little.

I'm getting ready for IM Florida (in about 6 weeks). I hope to have a good day out there.

How about everyone chime in with an update on how things are going ??

Danny

Edited by dhyte 2007-09-25 3:24 PM
2007-09-25 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
I'm doing good.  I've just completed 4 weeks of not missing one single workout.  My ankle is experiencing some fatigue from swimming so I'm a little worried.  I'm trying to lose weight but none has come off so far.  I guess it's just going to take time.
2007-09-25 6:16 PM

User image

Regular

Hey all,

I've been busy training/racing too.  I'm doing some Adventure Racing - which traditionally includes disciplines like mtn. biking, trail running, kayaking, orienteering/navigating, climbing/rapelling and other obstacles.  There are solo and team events from 4-5 hours to 5 days in length. 

To train I've been doing lots of trail running, hiking, cycling, and my regular routine of swimming and running.

Anyway, I did the Subaru Urban Assault Adventure Race this last weekend and got 2nd with my buddy Josh.  We had a great time.   

Yesterday I ran in the morning, drove up to Big Bear and went Mtn. Biking.  Then went on a night hike on the Pacific Crest Trail under the full moon with a group of AR's up there.  Then this morning I ran 5 plus miles, and then kayaked for an hour plus and drove home.

Obviously the extra disciplines of AR has kept me busy, but I really like it.  My family is moving to Big Bear around the first of the year so I'll be doing more of this type of racing and Xterra type triathlons so I'm really excited.  

Hope everyone is doing well.  Danny you're gonna' rock in Florida!  Keep up the great work! 

2007-09-26 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi everyone!
Danny, I'm so excited about your race in 6 weeks. You will be awesome! Bubba, you really should work out more (HA!!!). Your energy is something else. Great job to everyone else!

I think I'm in a bit of a slow time, which is kind of nice. Life came at us full force this fall (3 in football, one who gets home at 11:30 am every day, company from out of town, and a temporarily unemployed husband!). We're having lots of fun, just so busy. I've still been running and biking, and have spent some time in the gym with strength training. I have not been faithful to record my workouts on this site, but I plan on ramping up again soon.

In the meantime, train on my friends!
Carol

2007-09-26 6:13 PM

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi All!

Danny good luck on your IM, I can’t wait to read the race report! I’ve been all over the place lately, trying to get training in as I can. I had tonsillitis which kept me off my feet for a bit and a little skin cancer which meant stitches and postponed my “back in the pool” date by a month, but I should be able to dive back in on Monday so I’m very excited about that. I did get a personal trainer who has been kicking my butt at the gym twice a week so that’s been interesting.

I decided that I needed to get the proper bike for me and spend a little extra on the front end rather than taking a chance and having problems later so I’m waiting for the ‘08’s to hit my LBS so that I can try a WSD since I seem to be somewhere in between sizes on the men’s bikes… I guess the next big thing will be the wetsuit and then I’ll almost be fully-geared-up as a triathlete!

I’m looking to do the Tinsel Tri in Hemet in December and other than that I am trying to figure out how to properly plan a race schedule for next season and get my training a lot more organized (reading the Triathlete’s Training Bible). I think I’m running the Carlsbad Half Mary with my sister which will be my first official running race longer than a 5K so I’m excited to see how I do on that.

I hope you all are doing well and having fun!

Nikki
2007-09-27 5:38 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Nikki,

I'm thinking of doing the race in Hemet for fun too.  My wife and I are also planning on doing the 1/2 Marathon in Carlsbad in January.   

2007-09-29 11:28 AM

User image

New user

Los Alamos, NM
Hey everyone,

Danny, good luck in Florida. Bubba, you are an animal. Have fun in the adventure races. I have been talking to a buddy of mine about doing one some time next year (not the five day ones).

My training has slacked off some lately because of football season. My son plays, and I am the head coach, so it is hard to get out and train with the all of the practices we have. I still manage a run every now and then, and plan to pick it up more in November.

2007-10-18 4:25 PM
in reply to: #980540

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

blondnik - 2007-09-26 4:13 PM I’m looking to do the Tinsel Tri in Hemet in December

Hi Nikki,

I hope all the health issues are taken care of and you are back to training!

Did you ever get that new bike you were mentioning?

Still plan on doing the TRI in Dec ??

C'mon...bring us up to date !!!  

2007-10-18 11:54 PM

User image

Regular

Hey everyone... just checking in.  Had a busy month of training, then a few days of icky-ness and I'm back and ready to race this Saturday.  The Desert Rage Adventure Race - Long Course 12 hours!  I'm so fired up about it.  I'm on a 4 person Co-ed team and we're going to do great.  It's Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Trekking, Trail Running, Rope work, Navigation/Orienteering and some other Mystery Events. 

Planning on Doing the Tinsel Tri in November I think and another in December.  Then the Carlsbad 1/2 Marathon in January.  There are a few other Adventure races in there somewhere too, but I'll have to see what I can afford.  The AR's are all over $100 each...worse than Tri's!  

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well, staying healthy and training hard....or recovering from your race season.  I kind of tend to race year-round if I can...with a few stretches of a few months in between here and there.  After this weekend I think it'll make 8 races if you count Runs, Tri's, Swim Events and AR's.  10 by year's end.  Looking forward to the holidays and preparing for our move to Big Bear!  

Take care everyone! 

2007-10-19 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone!

I thought the season was winding down, but you guys are going full bore!

I did my last tri of this year on the 6th - Tri, Girl, Tri in Napa/Lake Berryessa. It was pretty challenging. My sister and I did it together, and we had a great time, although it was freezing on the swim - a wetsuit is looking more and more necessary! There are a couple of races up here in snow-melt rivers and the SF Bay that I'd like to do, so I think I'll look into it.

We also did a 100k bike ride last weekend that was just amazing. We rode from the bottom of the Central Valley (Riverbank) up to the first line of foothills into the Sierra (Knights Ferry) and back around. It was a beautiful ride, mostly, with some nice hills and views. Next year, we'll do the century ride!

I'm winding down, though, for the season. I have a trail run this Sunday and that's it, aside from the occasional 5/10k! I would never have thought of dismissing a 10k as nothing 6 months ago! I'm hoping to take some time off (I'm not so good at time off!) and spend time with my dogs. We have titles to earn, after all. Then, just run through the rainy season, maybe some cycling as weather permits; finally start swimming again in February or March and work my way up to that International distance sometime in the summer (I'm thinking Folsom, maybe). But I haven't really lined up next year. Up here in the north country we have to take some time off for winter, you know! Ha!

Bubba, you make that AR sound like fun! Then I remember about the long hours/days of racing and figure watching will do fine! I'm glad you guys are out there doing it, though, because it is a total blast to watch on TV with a big bowl of popcorn and a rootbeer float!

I've been watching the Kona video coverage and loving it - those people are so awesome! Danny, I can't wait to see the Florida coverage on Versus (you all probably don't have time to watch tv, but they've been showing 1 hour shows of various Ironman races around the country, which I really love watching), and read your report.

So, longwinded, but I'm glad everyone's relatively well and happy and training hard!

Power on!
Trish
2007-10-22 9:51 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is OK with all the Sd fires going on.

We evacuated this morning.  I know Carol is in a risk area also - hope all is well.

I think our house will be OK (Rancho Penasquitos), but we thought we would be safe and beat the crowd out of town (staying with family in OC).

Everyone stay safe! 

2007-10-23 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
I was just wondering how you guys were doing down there. We haven't had fires, but had some pretty nasty smoke issues earlier in the summer, being exactly between the Plumas and San Jose fires. I hope you're all safe and your families and properties!

I'm thinking of you,
Trish
2007-10-24 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1021567

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi everyone, hope all are safe. We evacuated Monday morning, fires about 1 mile away. We went to Torrey Hills / Carmel Valley and got evacuated again that evening. We landed in San Marcos and our home is still under mandatory evacuation, but our house and neighborhood are safe. We are so blessed, last night we had 25 people (16 children!!!!) at our friends house. Oh my!!! Danny, I hope your family and home are safe. I can't reach my email until I go home, but I will check in on this site again. Please let me know if anyone needs anything, we want to help.

God bless, Carol
2007-10-25 10:25 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi everyone,

We're home and all is well.  Lots of ash everywhere, but otherwise OK.  

2007-10-28 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
Glad to hear everyone is safe!  Now if the smoke would clear enough to get some training in besides the dang gym!
2007-10-29 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
I hear you, Bubba. Went to the gym this weekend and it was packed! Can't wait to get outside and breathe some FRESH air! Danny, how's the training going? Yipes, I just realized your race is THIS WEEKEND!!!!! When are you leaving? GO, DANNY, GO!!!!!
2007-10-29 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1028185

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-10-29 8:32 AM I hear you, Bubba. Went to the gym this weekend and it was packed! Can't wait to get outside and breathe some FRESH air! Danny, how's the training going? Yipes, I just realized your race is THIS WEEKEND!!!!! When are you leaving? GO, DANNY, GO!!!!!

I am back to work today, and then leave tomorrow for FL.  I have 2 weeks of work to cram into today!

My training has been spotty this last week.  I am praying that my fitness level has not dropped off.  I think I am having an exercise addiction induced withdrawal (taper + fires = bummer).

I am mostly packed and organized but it looks like I am packing for a month long trip (preparing for all weather conditions = a ton of stuff in my suitcases). 

I'll be online during the week, and will pop back in.

I'll just say my dream goal for the race is 13:22 (you would not believe the geeky calculation that lead to that number....).   My IMAZ ' 06 time was 14:55 (my only previous IM race).

Danny 

2007-11-04 9:40 AM

User image

Regular

Hey everyone - I won't take his fire, but Danny did AWESOME in Florida - setting a PB!  Check it out!

We're all so proud of you Danny!  What an inspiration   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13