of 13

2007-05-18 1:54 PM
in reply to: #806982

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - OPEN
Hey Ronn,

The only bad question is one not asked!

Gels are basically little packs of concentrated sports drink with some additional nutrients. You can get them at bike shops and other dedicated sporting goods stores. General sporting goods stores like Big 5 or Copeland don't tend to have many of them.

Aero bars are the part of the handle bars on a triathlon specific or time trial bike that allow you to lean over on your elbows. Clip ons are just handles, real aero bars have gear shift levers at the ends so you don't have to change your position to shift (you always have to change position to brake, though, because aero bars are not good for stability).

Here's a picture of a triathlon bike: http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/subcategory.php?c=1&s=3

Happy training!

2007-05-18 2:32 PM
in reply to: #807002

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Hydration

NoSit - 2007-05-18 11:41 AM I just hate having a dry mouth (any advice for that?). 

Other than sipping drinks, the only other dry mouth suggestion is a gum called thirst quench.  I've never tried it, but it is supposed to help.

I don't like having anything in my mouth, I'm afraid I'll choke on it.  I tried to eat sunflower seeds while running once....man, that was a bad decision....!

I think different sports drinks appeal to everyone differently.  Some find Gatorade Endurance to be very thirst quenching.  I think that Powerbar Endurance drink is very light also.

Some, like Accelerade, or Cytomaz, are just too acidic for me, and always make me more thirsty.  I think its personal preference. 

2007-05-18 3:00 PM
in reply to: #807034

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

NoSit - 2007-05-18 11:54 AM Gels are basically little packs of concentrated sports drink with some additional nutrients.
  They typically have replacement minerals and electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc) that you would sweat out on a long day.  This becomes even more of an issue as you race longer/further.

Aero bars are the part of the handle bars on a triathlon specific or time trial bike that allow you to lean over on your elbows.
The whole idea is to reduce the amount of drag and get as aerodynamic as possible.  My bike (Felt F50) is a road bike that I mounted some aero bars on.  It takes a little getting used to, but I love using them.

2007-05-18 3:11 PM
in reply to: #807022

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Another question

NoSit - 2007-05-18 11:47 AM I just thought of another thing I've been wondering about. The races I'm planning to do this summer are on "open" roads (open to car traffic) during the race, so we're supposed to obey all traffic signals. What makes a stop? Does a stop sign require a foot-down stop? Or just slowing way down? Thanks Trish

I think the technical answer is that you have to come to a complete stop (wheels not turning). Some people (not me) can balanec like this and not put a foot down. I'm sure I would lose my balance, get stuck in my clip-on pedals, and wipe out.

I think alot of people will use their judgement, and carefully roll through some stop signs whenever possibly. Try to be safe, and be courteous to drivers ! (and be safe!!!)

Edited by dhyte 2007-05-18 3:12 PM
2007-05-18 3:54 PM
in reply to: #807135

User image

Veteran
Do you carry a bottle when you're running, or just make sure you pick up something at the aid stations? I think there are two on the run course at my first sprint. That might be enough.

I have tendonitis in my elbows and can't carry anything for the timebeing - just holding my arms up makes my arms sore when running. Maybe I should look at a camelback ... I'll try the gum first, though, but I have a huge aversion to spitting, so don't know what I'll do when I'm done with it!

Thanks
Trish
2007-05-18 4:01 PM
in reply to: #805533

User image

Veteran
Go Carol and Nikki! I'll be thinking about you.

Have fun out there!

Trish

2007-05-18 4:32 PM
in reply to: #807341

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

NoSit - 2007-05-18 1:54 PM Do you carry a bottle when you're running, or just make sure you pick up something at the aid stations? I think there are two on the run course at my first sprint. That might be enough. I have tendonitis in my elbows and can't carry anything for the timebeing - just holding my arms up makes my arms sore when running. Maybe I should look at a camelback ... I'll try the gum first, though, but I have a huge aversion to spitting, so don't know what I'll do when I'm done with it! Thanks Trish

You could have a race belt on your waist with a very small bottle/flask.  Some people would not carry anything and just use what is on the course.  If you get dry mouth real bad, I would bring something with you to sip on at your convenience.

Alot of the time, for shorter runs, I'll bring a regular bottle of water with just a few oz's in it...just enough to wet my mouth occasional. 

2007-05-18 5:03 PM
in reply to: #800275

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I created the following table and put it on my Training Log page for quick access.

If you want a copy of it (to make it easy to encourage one another in our group) let me know.

Danny's Mentor Group
(official thread)

BT NameReal Name
dhyte Danny Hyte
JBHGary
Gary C
blondnik
Nikki
ccessex
Carol Essex
Ronn
Ron Stern
NoSit
Trish Price
iwanttotri
Cortney

Edited by dhyte 2007-06-01 10:17 AM
2007-05-18 5:32 PM

New user

Richmond, VA
Thank you for including me Danny! I don't know how well I be at encouraging anyone since I have NO idea what I'm doing! (I'll be driving you crazy with questions and soaking up everything like a sponge!)

Thanks again,

Ronn
2007-05-18 5:46 PM
in reply to: #807458

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Ronn - 2007-05-18 3:32 PM Thank you for including me Danny! I don't know how well I be at encouraging anyone since I have NO idea what I'm doing! (I'll be driving you crazy with questions and soaking up everything like a sponge!) Thanks again, Ronn

Not a problem at all Ronn! And I'm sure you'll be able to encourage the others in all sorts of ways.

Question:  Are you planning on working only on the walk/run aspect (at least initially), or are you preparing to jump on the bike and into the pool too?   It's all good, I just would like to have any idea what your plan is.

2007-05-18 6:50 PM

New user

Richmond, VA
I'm following the "Off the Couch" program here on Beginner, and it calls for the walking/running aspect for the first 3 "Phases" with biking beginning in phase 4. (I have no exercise background at all. I work outside a great deal, but never cared for "exercise.") I plan on entering a 5K this July/August here in VA, and my first Tri in October.

I need to find a beginner's bike, and I'm looking at running shoes. (Shoes to be purchased post haste.) It's all a little overwhelming; thank goodness for BeginnerTri!

2007-05-18 7:34 PM
in reply to: #807525

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Ronn - 2007-05-18 4:50 PM I'm following the "Off the Couch" program here on Beginner, and it calls for the walking/running aspect for the first 3 "Phases" with biking beginning in phase 4. (I have no exercise background at all. I work outside a great deal, but never cared for "exercise." I plan on entering a 5K this July/August here in VA, and my first Tri in October. I need to find a beginner's bike, and I'm looking at running shoes. (Shoes to be purchased post haste.) It's all a little overwhelming; thank goodness for BeginnerTri!

Be sure to go to a good ruuning store and have your feet/stride evaluated for the correct shoes.  It makes all the difference in the world! 

2007-05-18 7:40 PM

New user

Richmond, VA
Will do! (Now... what makes a "good" running store?) Is there a nationwide chain of stores?
2007-05-18 8:02 PM
in reply to: #807556

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Ronn - 2007-05-18 5:40 PM Will do! (Now... what makes a "good" running store?) Is there a nationwide chain of stores?

A shoe store that specializes in running shoes exclusively would be what you are looking for. I think a post in the Triathlon Talk forum asking for Shoe store recommendations in Richmond, would get you a lot of good suggestions. I'm not familiar with the area enough to give the names of anyplace.

You want someplace that is staffed by runners, for runners. Often they have a free service where they will evaluate your foot/stride and make specific shoe recomendations as a result. Sometimes they have treadmills in the store you can walk/run on.

Our local running store has a great VIP members plan, where you can get a great discount, and can return shoes up to 30 days later if you don't like them.

I googled Richmond VA shoe stores and these are some of the "hits" that popped up:

http://www.rrrc.org/rrrc/
http://www.running.net/magazine/findus.html
http://www.runwashington.com/other/runstoresva.html
http://richmond.citysearch.com/profile/10552609/richmond_va/roadrunner_running_store.html

Edited by dhyte 2007-05-18 8:03 PM
2007-05-18 8:23 PM

New user

Richmond, VA
Wow, thanks for the great links! A wealth of info so close to home! I'll post my shoe selection after purchase.

Thanks again Danny.
2007-05-18 11:14 PM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Hey Danny,

Thanks again for your time, really appreciate it! 

Can I get a copy of that table to put on my log?

On another note : I have not done an ocean water swim. Swimming in Mission Bay was an eye opener. I am definitely sheltered when it comes to swimming. I am sure there are a few do's and don'ts that would be good to know, i.e. goggles while dealing with the surf, . Would I be able to tag along on one of your swims, I'll even by breakfast or lunch? Maybe there are some others who arer ready to give it a go.

Gary

2007-05-18 11:19 PM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Carol and Nikki,

Truely wish I could be there to cheer you on. Good luck to both of you!! You'll do awesome. Looking forward to your race reports.

Gary

2007-05-19 12:05 AM
in reply to: #807719

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
JBHGary - 2007-05-18 9:14 PM    Can I get a copy of that table to put on my log?

I'll send it to you.

Edited by dhyte 2007-05-19 12:08 AM
2007-05-19 12:23 AM
in reply to: #807719

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
JBHGary - 2007-05-18 9:14 PM

Would I be able to tag along on one of your swims, I'll even by breakfast or lunch? Maybe there are some others who arer ready to give it a go.

Hey Gary, 

I am meeting Nikki at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas at 5pm tomorrow (Sat) for a practice swim (maybe work on surf entry/exit).  You are more than welcome to join us.  I'll be out of town the following weekend, but may swim next Thurs or Fri morning (a little up in the air).

I'll PM you my cell #.

Danny

2007-05-19 1:21 PM
in reply to: #807741

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Hey Danny,

I have a long a waited date night with my wife tonight. Just let me know, appreicate it.

2007-05-19 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - OPEN - ROOM FOR MORE !!
Just came back from the pre-race meeting and I am so excited! Can't wait to post a race report. Danny, thanks again for taking the time to work with me on surf entry... Friday. It was soo helpful. The surf at Moonlight Beach looked pretty big today, but I think I'm ready to "attack" the waves! Good luck Nikki!

2007-05-19 7:38 PM

User image

Regular

Hey guys,

I'd be interested in the group too.  I live in the Carlsbad area.  I've been doing Sprint distance tri's for several years now.  I had gotten pretty "large" at 287lbs, and am now down 95lbs to 192lbs (first time in 20 years).  I work at home so my schedule is pretty flexible. 

I used to race bicycles for years so I'm comfortable in that area.  My swim is pretty strong.  My challenge would be running I guess.  But as the weight has come off, so have the minutes/mile.  I'd love to find some more people to train with if possible.  I swim in the pool at Bally's in Oceanside a few days a week, and OW usually once a week too.  I ride and run all over the North County Coastal area.   

I'll be at Encinitas tomorrow too, not sure how I'll find you guys, but I'll look anyway.    Good luck everyone!   

2007-05-20 2:39 PM
in reply to: #808167

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
bubba76819 - 2007-05-19 5:38 PM

Hey guys,

I'd be interested in the group too.  I live in the Carlsbad area.  I've been doing Sprint distance tri's for several years now.  I had gotten pretty "large" at 287lbs, and am now down 95lbs to 192lbs (first time in 20 years).  I work at home so my schedule is pretty flexible. 

I used to race bicycles for years so I'm comfortable in that area.  My swim is pretty strong.  My challenge would be running I guess.  But as the weight has come off, so have the minutes/mile.  I'd love to find some more people to train with if possible.  I swim in the pool at Bally's in Oceanside a few days a week, and OW usually once a week too.  I ride and run all over the North County Coastal area.   

I'll be at Encinitas tomorrow too, not sure how I'll find you guys, but I'll look anyway.    Good luck everyone!   

Hi Jay, Welcome aboard !
I've been away from the computer for most of the weekend and am starting to catch up. 
Congratulations on the weight loss, that is an awesome accomplishment.

I am a clydesdale also, and I also find running to be my biggest challenge.  So I totally know where you're coming from on that!

I ride up in North County almost every Sat, and swim  at Solana Beach or Moonlight Beach pretty regularly also.  Lets make some plans do to do some training!

Maybe we can get some of the others together and occasionally have group run (and/or swim,ride).

I'd like to hear more about your training routine, your goals, etc.  If you have any particular questions or areas you want to focus on, that that will be great too.

Dan

2007-05-20 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi everyone! Did the Encinitas Sprint today! BIG waves, but (thanks to Danny) no problems at all, felt great. Got a little tumbled in the surf on the way in, but happy with my swim. First bike loop I felt like I was FLYING! Passing peole all over the place, I was on fire. Next bike loop ran into a little trouble -not only a flat but a REAR FLAT! Ended up taking the whole wheel off, changing the tube, and sticking it back on (man, those wheels are tough to pump up with that little pump!). Covered in black grease, I began the run - felt good although I am not a speedy runner. All in all, a great day. I wasn't worn out after, either. I guess that training really worked! Hope NIkki did great, too!
2007-05-20 6:49 PM
in reply to: #808819

User image

Regular
Great job on your race.  I did it too.  I actually had a good swim, and the current didn't affect me much.  I flew on the bike with an average of 23.3mph, but by the time I hit the road running I was feeling pretty crummy.  I was cramping (sides) from pushing hard on the bike and felt like I was gonna' hurl.  Of course my legs felt like lead too, but I pushed on through the first lap and by the second lap I felt much better, and after the turn around on lap 2 I started feeling pretty good.  I ran hard that last 3/4 of a mile.  Not sure about all the splits and stuff yet, but when they're posted online we can all compare notes.  Great job everyone!  Sorry I didn't get to meet anyone face to face, but hopefully we'll all be training together soon. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13