BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott F's group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-06-21 11:24 AM
in reply to: #854107

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Subject: RE: Scott F's group - FULL!
I know who he is. I overheard a conversation during "bike to work day" that he was a triathlete and your description confirms who he was. He was wearing a race Jersey with a big Intel logo in it. i did not get to meet him but if I see him I will introduce myself

2007-06-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: #801922

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

So, what's everyone got going on this weekend?

I'm doing a long ride (about 95 miles) on the tri bike, trying to get some aero time in. Then a bike/run brick on Sunday.

What about everyone else? 

2007-06-22 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
I'm going to kick off of work a little early today, then head straight to a state park for some swimming and mountain biking. There is going to be an Xterra at this same park next month. I originally thought I was going to do the race, but I don't think I'm in the right shape for it. I'm going to check out the trails though, and train along with a buddy that is going to do the race.

Tomorrow I get back into training runs. Its been quite a while, so I'm going to ease back into it.

Enjoy the rides this weekend.
2007-06-22 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Downers Grove

I will be continuing my week of taking it easy. Possibly a run on Sunday, but I'm not holding my breath

Have a good weekend ya'll!

2007-06-22 11:56 AM
in reply to: #855913

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
arieth81 - 2007-06-22 12:20 PM

I will be continuing my week of taking it easy. Possibly a run on Sunday, but I'm not holding my breath

Have a good weekend ya'll!

I think hanging out at the beach counts as OWS time ..... you could always log a little of that.
2007-06-22 12:01 PM

User image

Friday Brick
Swimming at lunch
Bike: aprox 20 - 25 miles, speed work.

Saturday
Bike: distance ride 40 + miles

Sunday
Probably rec ride with my wife. 20 to 30 easy miles

Have a good weekend !

2007-06-22 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
Hi all,

My hoped-for duathlon this weekend is not going to happen but I'm not surprised at all. Initially the main reason I decided against it was because I'm in such a time crunch right now and I'd have to blow a good portion of my weekend to get there, stay overnight, do the race and get home. However, my leg has been hurting since my 5k race and it's not going away. All the reading I've done points to overuse and shin splints in my right calf so I'm taking a rest from the running (rats, because it's the only exercise I have the time to fit in right now) and that means I can't do the race. So... I will try to get back on track when I get home from my trip and see if I can slowly build up my longer runs then. I sure would like to do a half marathon next October but if not, I will focus on doing a 10k race instead.

This week I will stretch lots and maybe walk a bit but mostly I need to finish getting ready to take off for Europe next Sunday (July 1). I'll be in London, Denmark, Paris, then cycling in southern France and home by the 22nd. August will have to be a good working out month. I'm hopeful that I can fit in an easy run or two while I'm away but if not, no worries.

2007-06-23 9:42 PM

User image

Parker
In a slump all week - Plan to hit it hard on Monday - Found a new workout partner. Hopefully that will get me motivated again.
2007-06-24 10:27 AM
in reply to: #856702

User image

Barb,
Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your leg. Hope it goes away fast and you get back ontrack. Meybe the European vacation is what you need to recharge your body and mind

Good luck and have fun
2007-06-25 10:44 AM

Veteran
Ontario

Hey hey

Hope everyone is training hard   Not sure if any of you follow, but there were a few Ironman events going on today.  I ended up watching alot of Ironman France as it is SUCH a beautiful place (french riviara anyone?).  It was really cool, they had live video of the swim, transition, finish line etc.  You got to see everyone cross the finish line which was cool.

One thing I noticed, is at local races, when 90% of people cross the finish line they look like they finished a training run.  The cross, walk off, and thats it.  Where the Ironman, no matter what place they came in, EVERYONE is so happy, throwing their arms in the air, hugging their family, and just so emotional.  It truely is a different sport at that point I think.

Anyway, enough dreaming :P  Sunday I had an 8km race in the morning.  Went quite well and I just took it easy.  There are only 3 other guys in my age group and they come top 30 of ~200 each time, so I know where I am placing lol.  My goal was 50-55mins, and I did it in 50:05 so I was very happy.  Wish I knocked off another 6 seconds to be sub 50 but oh well.

Next race for me is a short 5k in July, then the half marathon!  eek.  I don't think I will get another tri in this season, as it conflicts with running and I am still scared of the water lol.  There is a YMCA 2 blocks from me and I am going to sign up for leasons I think. 

2007-06-25 12:29 PM
in reply to: #858695

User image

Nice Job on the race Robb .

Where was all the IM coverage? Online or TV? I should watch out for such events, I might learn something.

2007-06-25 4:04 PM

Veteran
Ontario

hehe ya it was online.

http://www.ironmanlive.com/ 

2007-06-26 4:45 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Well I hit the local provincial park today.  It has a nice 22km loop trail around a lake.  Lots of steep climbs, fast single track trails.  The first time I ever rode it was last November, and it took me a little over 3 hours (walked up/down most hills).  Today I managed to do it in 1hr 18mins according to my cateye.  When I first heard that some people can clear the trail in an hour I said it was impossible.  Now I gotta find a way to knock off 18mins :D

Going to go for a short run tonight if it cools down.  It's like 38C with the humidity here and not fun to run in. 

2007-06-26 5:10 PM
in reply to: #861565

User image

Nice Job Robb.
2007-06-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: #861565

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Robb - sounds like a blast! Can't wait to get back on the trails when the IM training is over!
2007-06-27 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Hey gang - I fell off the triathlon wagon for a week or so, just needed to take a break from it all. But I'm feeling refreshed and ready to get back to training - 6 more weeks to go (4 weeks and then 2 weeks of taper!) Hope everyone is having a good summer so far. Keep up all the good training!

2007-06-27 2:48 PM

User image

Parker
Question about racing and increasing your distances. I am going to try and do another tri in Aug. but I also want to continue to build my base of distance. I understand the 10% theory to prevent injury but how should I work in the taper weeks and recovery weeks.
My plan is to increase 10% for the next two weeks - Maintain for one week and taper for 2 weeks. I was wondering then how much time do you take to recover and where do you start after that?
Do I start on the distances that I was on before taper? - or do I back up a week or two?
Does that make sense?
Laurie
2007-06-27 3:43 PM
in reply to: #863220

User image

Interesting question Laurie. I am looking forward to the answers from the "runners" of the group.....
2007-06-28 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Laurie, this is pretty much just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt ...

tapers and recovery.

I don't think a real taper is necessary for a sprint, a slight taper is probably good for oly.

I wasn't planning to do anything different the week before my sprint, other than just knock down the last workout of each discipline to the race distance, with nice long work ups and cool downs. Getting sick changed that, as I ended up skipping a lot of my work that week. I'll do something similar for my next race which is an oly. the only difference is that I'll take the second day before the race completely off, and the day before I'll just take a short slow paced ride and swim at the venue.

Recovery weeks are a lot different though. My current training plan calls for 4 building weeks at 10% time and distance, followed by a recovery week of 60% of the highest training value for that building phase (meaning the previous week). The week after the recovery week will be the same schedule as the fourth building week from the previous phase and then jump back to the 10% increases for week two. You can check out my weekly planned training to see it illustrated with values of time and distance. After my previous knee injury from ramping up too fast, I knew I had to set my plan in stone to avoid future problems of the same kind. It can be frustrating to know that I am capable of going faster, further, etc, but I think that considering my goals for the rest of the year, this is the best way to accomplish them and set myself up for a successful 2008 season.

Keep at it girl, you are going great so far!
2007-06-28 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
FYI - I will be out of town next week. Basically from this Saturday the 30th, until August 8th. I will be on a work vacation, not a workout vacation. I have access to a lake that is a mile across and two miles long. Some great smooth roads for riding, and the same roads for running. I'm really looking forward to a change of scenery for training, and lots of relaxing time between workouts. I have my routes planned out and I will not miss a beat in the training calendar.

I'll be heading out for another vacation a couple weeks after that. I'm going to drop the kids off at my parents cabin, and then my lovely and talented wife and I will spend several days touring the upper peninsula of Michigan together. Camping, hiking, and just enjoying each others company. I will continue to train through that vacation too. I've started layout the routes along Lake Superior, but have a lot of work left to do on that one.

As a side note, my wife has shown a little interest in joining me for some walking/running this coming week. She decided a couple of weeks ago that she was not willing to move up a size in her summer shorts, so she starting exercising at Contours (just like Curves). She's been doing okay with that, but next week she will not have a venue close by. So, for the first time in our entire marriage, she has asked if she can join me for some exercise. I was pretty shocked when she asked me, but I am really excited by it. Exercise is not something that we have shared in the past and I'm just happy that she is interested and willing to try running. (We'll start with run1 walk1 plan and go from there) I'll be using it as my warm ups and then drop her off before I run or ride.

Have a great week, if I don't have a chance to talk to everyone before we go. I'm honestly going to miss you guys. I might check in if I can find a wireless network out there.

-Matt
2007-06-28 11:31 AM
in reply to: #864032

User image

Matt,

Your vacations sound like a lot of fun. I know exactly how you feel about your wife joining you. I bought my wife a mountain bike before last christmas and then I road bike for Christmas. We ride together once every weekend and I am now trying to talk her into running with me. She is now changing from "no way" to "maybe I should start running". Next, it will be trying to get her to do a duathlon. (no chance for her to swim)

Have fun in your time off

2007-06-28 1:00 PM
in reply to: #864429

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
MrSolis - 2007-06-28 12:31 PM

Matt,

Your vacations sound like a lot of fun. I know exactly how you feel about your wife joining you. I bought my wife a mountain bike before last christmas and then I road bike for Christmas. We ride together once every weekend and I am now trying to talk her into running with me. She is now changing from "no way" to "maybe I should start running". Next, it will be trying to get her to do a duathlon. (no chance for her to swim)

Have fun in your time off

I don't have any illusions of her doing a tri or even a du, but the fact that she is willing to take a more serious step towards fitness and her own health is a big one. In fact, I'm not sure that she even knows how to ride a bike....

I'll post some pictures when I get back from the second vacation. Its absolutely beautiful up there.
2007-06-28 3:29 PM
in reply to: #864632

User image

Team,
Am I the only one that is becoming Paranoid about injuries. I tipically did not care if I got hurt as long as I was giving it 100% but since I started training for Triathlons (and specially since I did not finish my first one) I findmyself obsessing with staying healthy so I don't miss my next race or have an excuse to not finish. Am I the only one that feels like this? is this just first timer jitters? does it go away?

Thanks
2007-06-29 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kelowna, BC
Hey Mauricio,

Now that I've got shin splints, I'm definitely going to be more worried about injuries and will try MUCH harder to avoid them.

Sorry I've been MIA for the past two weeks. I have been so overwhelmed at work and with planning the trip and the weather's been crappy and I've been too tired to ride and too sore to run. What a pile of excuses eh?! Anyway, I'm leaving for Europe on Sunday and will be back in 3 weeks. Hope to get back in the saddle then. Not "hope" - I WILL.

Take care everyone and good luck with your races in July!!
2007-06-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: #864951

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
MrSolis - 2007-06-28 4:29 PM

Team,
Am I the only one that is becoming Paranoid about injuries. I tipically did not care if I got hurt as long as I was giving it 100% but since I started training for Triathlons (and specially since I did not finish my first one) I findmyself obsessing with staying healthy so I don't miss my next race or have an excuse to not finish. Am I the only one that feels like this? is this just first timer jitters? does it go away?

Thanks

I'd say that I was getting paranoid of injuries after my knee flared up. More specifically, I was just worried that my knee wouldn't heal fast enough and I'd lose my passion for training....

Now that knee pain is an afterthought, I'm not so worried about it. I'm not going to go out and double my planned mileage for a workout, but I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about going over a little either.

I tend to be an over-planner. If I plan to do a certain time or distance, I trust my planning and stick to it. When I laid out my most recent plan, I ensured that I stuck to 10% time and distance for running. I also did that for swimming and biking, but those are more or less guidelines for me. I'll likely stick to the time, more than the distance. I find it easier to push my pace and over do it with running, that with swimming or biking.

I think that we should be mindful of injury prevention, but I don't think you should be preoccupied with it. The best way for me to do that, is to stick to my plan, make extra time to stretch, and to try to avoid large rocks in the middle of the MTB trail at high speed. (I'm still heavily bruised up)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott F's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 13