BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-05-16 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
NAME: leopard8996 / Bonnie

STORY: I'm a Project Manager from Beaverton, OR who grew up in Kona watching the IM. During and after college I gained a lot of weight and 4 years ago decided to start changing my life. I discovered that triathlon was a great sport and started losing weight and going faster and longer with the goal being to finish the IM myself

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/4 cats

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been using the BT Ironman training plan and LOVE IT! I usually train by time and due to being a bigger athlete try to spend as much time on the bike as possible while still getting my run training in and this plan has been perfect for me. I generally train alone but with Ironman training I have been running with co-workers and swimming with a group at the local lake.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Sprint @ Hawthorne Farms (placed 1st in Athena AG), Olympic @ Blue Lake (cut 50min off PB), 1/2 Ironman @ Musselman (7:43 in 100+ degree heat)

2007 RACES: Sprint @ Hawthorne Farms - Done, Blue Lake Olympic - June 10, 2007, Ironman Coeur d'Alene - June 24, 2007, Blue Lake Midsummer either Sprint or Olympic July 28, 2007 and Iron Girl Columbia - August 19, 2007

WEIGHTLOSS: I had lost about 150lbs doing triathlon and Weight Watchers in the last few years but hit an 18 month plateau. Once I started IM training I stopped trying to "lose weight" and started just fueling my workouts and I lost another 17lbs in 17 weeks by logging my food and making good choices

Edited by leopard8996 2007-05-17 3:37 PM

2007-05-16 7:14 PM
in reply to: #802279

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - OPEN

Hi Bonnie....thanks for mentoring...I think I can learn a lot from you.

Here is my info:

NAME: Noony/Nathalie

STORY: I am an attorney who works in the D.C. area. I recently realized that I have focused on career aspirations rather than my fitness and wellbeing and have gained a lot of weight over the years. Last year, I started doing triathlons to lose weight and get healthy and discovered that I really love it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (to jimbo on BT) with 2 cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I use the BT 3x OLY plan. It seems to work well though running is still the most difficult discipline for me.....i'm heavy and slow and its tough to keep moving. I ride with my husband but would like to get more self-motivated and confident to train by myself.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 3Sports Sprint Triathlon, Iron Girl Columbia. I loved Irongirl....I really felt more confident in my abilities after this race.....I felt like I really accomplished something.

2007 RACES: I'm signed up for Little Pepper (Sprint) in Va in June, will do 3Sports Triathlon in July and Irongirl Columbia in August. My first OLY, Big Lick Triathlon, is planned for September in Va.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost 40+ pounds since beginning training.....weight loss has been really slow as of late and I have a lot more to lose. I'm hoping to really get my training back on track to also start losing weight again. When I'm really training and eating well, the weight seems to come off pretty easily. The trick for me is to stay focused.

Edited by noony 2007-05-16 7:15 PM
2007-05-16 7:48 PM

User image

Louisiana

Hi Bonnie! I'm so glad this group is opening. I was disappointed to find all the groups full when I joined BT 2 months ago. Count me in here. I'll post more later...have to get back to work for now

2007-05-16 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hi Bonnie! This is exactly what I was looking for!

NAME: atlrunnergirl/ Sarah

STORY: I'm an Account Manager living in Atlanta, GA. I keep a blog that chronicles my running (2 marathons and counting) and my most recent tri experience. (http://www.pbj.typepad.com) In the past few years, I've lost 75+ lbs and counting and I'm looking to continue getting healthy. I'm really into tri though and looking forward to another sprint and maybe eventually a half-iron and ironman. Yikes! I said it!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married w/2 dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: My tri training has been pitiful with the exception of my running. I train with a Galloway running group and I'm following the FIRST training program for the Maui Marathon in September. I take spinning classes, but am not the greatest about getting out there to swim and bike, so I need help structuring a plan!

2007 RACES: ING Georgia Marathon March 25, 2007. My First Tri Sprint Tri at Lake Lanier May 5, 2007. Maui Marathon September 16, 2007. Am contemplating Ryka Iron Girl on June 16, 2007.

WEIGHTLOSS: Down 75+ lbs after about 3 years. Working on the last 28 or so and hope to be near goal by September 2007.

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2007-05-16 8:00 PM
2007-05-16 8:40 PM

New user

St. Louis, MO
Hi Bonnie,

NAME: tripepalley / Alley

STORY: I am "40 Something" mom, work full time for a large computer manufacturer, am a Girl Scout Leader and Sunday School Teacher. I do a lot of volunteer work as well. Have gained a considerable amount of weight over the past 10 years. Used to be a very good runner, but don't think I could make a 5K at the moment. Am looking for direction, motivation and inspiration! I'm hoping to find my old fit body somewhere inside this body I barely recognize.... I have signed up for a sprint triathlon at the end of July (nothing like a little pressure to get me moving!) I would be appreciative of any guidance you can offer me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 11 Years, 2 children (7yrs. and 9yrs) and a very fat, lazy cat. My daughter (9yrs old) and son (7 yrs old) will be participating in two kids triathlons this summer. They are both very good runners and swimmers.

CURRENT TRAINING: I AM A NEWBIE - straight from the couch! Today was my first day of "training"! I dusted off my bike that I haven't used in years today and rode 11 miles. (I'm sore.) Am scouring the internet and this site for training plans - and am interested in suggestions from you and others in this group!

RACES: Does running from my car to the house in pouring rain count? Or getting my kids to school on time? Seriously, the last race I ran was about a year ago (a 5K) - I was very out of shape, and had to walk for some of it. I've actually gained 10 lbs. since then. Completely bummed about my weight gain, but I took my first step today to becoming more healthy and fit!

WEIGHTLOSS: I started Weightwatchers, and have lost 5 lbs...It's a start to the 50 lbs. I would like to lose!
2007-05-17 1:43 AM

User image

Louisiana

Thanks for starting this group, Bonnie. Got home a few minutes ago and thought I'd do a quick intro before bed.

I'm a newbie, deciding to tri about 2 months ago after swimming all winter and realizing I could swim a sprint distance. Like most women in their 40's, I too struggle with weight issues. I've found tri training has taken my focus off the scale because I can see improvement in so many other ways...body shape, endurance, resting heart rate, etc.

I'm a mom of 5, ages 4-18 (yes, they're all mine from the same man). My 16-yr-old daughter is going to tri with me, so there's an incentive.

I've never run a race or even seen a tri, and I'm registered already. My 100m split is 3 minutes. I still struggle to clip in my left foot on my bike. And I'm trying very hard to think positively about running.

I have a friend who is an Ironwoman helping mentor me, but I've made plenty of stupid mistakes over the last couple of months, from thinking T1 and T2 were thoracic vertebrae, to falling off my bike trying to make a cool running start (and bending the wheel), to asking for a kickstand at the bike shop for my new bike ( a real no no, I found out). Oh, and there was the man's bike helmet I bought and wore, and the list goes on.

I hope you ladies have as much fun as I have already. My friend, the Ironwoman smiled at me one day when we were riding. She said she was watching me with anticipation of all the exciting times she knew I had to come ahead of me. I'm learning to take risks and I really am having the time of my life.

2007-05-17 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

NAME: shepherd/Kate

STORY: I'm currently finishing up my Masters in Biology here in Kansas and working full-time as a janitor for the summer. Come July, I'll be moving back down to Georgia and starting my fast-track teacher program. My husband is staying in Kansas til September, and I'll be living with my grandmother until he moves down. I'll be starting as a high school biology teacher on August 4th.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to an awesome Tri-Sherpa who understands my training obsession (but training isn't his thing). And we also have a dog... see my icon.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been flying by the seat of my pants with my training. I know I need to get on it with a training plan, but I'm not sure how easily I can adhere to a plan because I don't know how much time I'll have come July. I also don't think I'll have access to a good lap pool until I start getting paid (end of August). Plenty of time to practice OWS! Working on the Aggressive Couch-to-5k from this site, I'm running 18/walking 12 at the moment. Swimming's probably my strong point, but I'm not very fast. Biking's my worst... I need lots of engine work.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: KC Women's Triathlon (my first)

2007 RACES: JCC Indoor Sprint (Feb), Mercy Wild Run (First 5k, done), Flint Hills Sprint (A race - June 4th!), Acworth Women's Tri sprint(August 12), Tri-PTC sprint (A race - Sept 8), Emerald Pointe (Oct 7), Half-mary (either late 2007 or early 08)

WEIGHTLOSS: I've lost about a net 15lbs, but since I started, I've dropped over 11% bodyfat... which is HUGE! My goal for this is to make it down to 23-25% body fat, and right now, I'm right around 31%.

OTHER GOALS: Eventually, I want to do an IM. But I also want a steady progression of progress in shorter races. I'm sticking to sprints this year to hopefully get down to my desired leanness (and learn to run). Planning on trying a couple of OLYs next year. Then half-iron, then IM. Then hopefully I'll know my favorite racing distance.

Bonnie - I'm glad you're mentoring!

-Kate.

2007-05-17 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Bonnie,

I would love to join this group. Here's my story:

I began running 3 years ago to try to get into shape. I had gained some weight over several years. It felt wonderful to accomplish a 5K since I had never been a runner. Last year I joined Weight Watchers to really get serious. Over several months I lost 30 pounds and was in my best shape ever. Over the winter, I gained back 10 of it. It was easy to lose but much harder to maintain, as you can tell.

Late this winter my brother decided to try his first triathlon so I decided he couldn't do it without me, thus began my tri training. I only have rode bikes with my kids to the park, etc. We joined a tri trianing group in order to prepare for our first tri in June.

Currently I run 4 times a week (4-8 miles) and bike (2-3) times a week (usually about 13-17 miles). I don't have one of the nice road bikes that most people have. My budget allowed for a new $200 Target bike so I will be working extra hard on that one. Swimming training begins on Sunday for me. I'm not nervous about the swim, but maybe should be????

I am married with 3 children; 11, 9, and 6. I just went back to work full time this year so it's been an adjustment for everyone. My husband supports me but I feel bad about being gone at times training. I do all of my running at 5 am when everyone is sleeping so that helps.

Thanks for being willing to mentor this group. I look forward to encouraging and getting to know everyone.
2007-05-17 1:13 PM

User image

Louisiana

Hi girls! Just finished my bike ride and have to go sleep fast for a night shift. Thought I'd check in. Today is one of those days you'd like to bottle and bring out in January. 80 degrees, sunny, hard to beat.

Welcome, Becki! I have a hard time juggling work, kids, husband, and training as well. I'm finding new and creative ways to get in a workout, and frequently show up at work now without makeup and with wet hair. Your running schedule is awesome. That's my hardest.

Hi Kate! I'm a southern biology gal too! My husband and I both graduated in Bio. You and I are at the same place with the running plan. I struggled with 18 min this week, but made it! Like your dog!

Gotta go. Shower and bed on the schedule.

2007-05-17 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL
WOO HOO!!!!

Ladies - I am so excited you all want me to be your mentor. I was on the road traveling for work yesterday so I don't have time to respond in detail today but I absolutely will

I've closed our group since we now have 6 amazing members plus me so the first big question is:

Are you excited????

I will check our thread daily and if you keep a training log on BT, I'll check in on that. Feel free to ask any questions you might have even if you think it might be silly. When you're doing something as cool as a triathlon my philosophy is there are no silly questions.

Becki, Kate, Alley, Sarah, Twylite and Nathalie - I'm so excited to help you on your triathlon journeys.

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!!
2007-05-17 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

Very excited!

I'm planning on adding all of you girls to my watchlist on my log and reading too.

Today I managed a short 15+ minute ride. Just really wiped from work, but at the very least, I did make it onto the bike. I'm happy about that!

Also as forewarning - I'm going to be MIA most of July and August, I'll be staying with family down in Georgia while I do my teacher training, so I won't have easily accessible internet. Hopefully I can get on once or twice a week from the library.  

2007-05-17 6:22 PM
in reply to: #805598

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Kate,
I'm glad to hear that you are going into teaching. I am in my 16th year of teaching elementary school. It's a great profession. Not that I am not looking forward to having the summer off, but I love what I do. Children need people who care about them. So many come from such unstable homes these days. Off my soapbox...

When is everybody completing their triathlons?
My first is June 30 (1/3 mile swim, 13 mile bike, 5K)
but my second spring is July 29 (1/3 mile swim, 22 mile bike, 5K) The longer bike on this one has me a little worried.
2007-05-17 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Hi all! I'm going to be traveling this weekend so I won't have as much of a chance to get on until Sunday night. I've got an 11 mile run planned for tomorrow since I'll miss my Saturday long run. I am contemplating signing up for the Ryka IronGirl on June 16th here in Atlanta - it's actually the same course as the sprint tri I just completed. Can't quite decide though - it's tough powering up those hills on my hybrid! If I don't do the Ryka, there is another sprint tri in August that I'll sign up for. I've started my savings account for my road bike!

2007-05-18 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I love all your stories and intros. WOW - so many amazing women in 1 place.

Looks like we have 2 Tri-Virgins in our group (there's nothing like the first triathlon, I will remember mine as long as I live) - WOO HOO Becki and Alley!!!!

As I read your profiles there are lots of questions so I'll try to answer as many as I can but if I miss your question just post it again.

First things first, in order to do a triathlon you have to train for the triathlon and I know several people had training questions.

I have found that the training plans here on BT have something for everyone and the training logs are absolutely amazing if you're a data junkie like me.

Here are a few questions for you all to help me give you some better advice and get to know where you each are from a training perspective.

What's the furthest you've ever swam, biked or run/walked (if you don't know miles put time)?

In the last month - what was your average workout week? Like, walked 3x for 30 min or swam 1x for 20 min etc.

What is your strongest sport and weakest sport?

For some perspective and also to encourage you all that you absolutely WILL achieve your goals here's how I started.

Started WW and was going to Curves 3x per week.

Walked a 5k in Dec 2002 and finished 3rd from last. I weighed 330lbs.

Decided to do more walking and started walking 20 min 2x per week plus Curves.

April 15, 2003 - Registered for Danskin Sprint in August.

Started biking and swimming (both of which I knew how to do but didn't do much of when I started). Kept walking.

Usually swam about 90 min per week. Walked about 90 min and biked about 3 hours.

Finished my first triathlon in August weighing 285lbs in 2 hours and 6 minutes. Jogged the whole thing

Moral of the story is if I can do it so can all of you, especially with all the support I know our group will give each other!
2007-05-18 3:54 PM
in reply to: #806912

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA

What's the furthest you've ever swam, biked or run/walked (if you don't know miles put time)?
Swam: in one go, 800yds. Typically my swimming workout days end up being 1500-1800yds total.

Biked: 12 miles... and it hurt!

Ran (just ran): 1.56mi, run/walk: 5mi

In the last month - what was your average workout week?

Swim 1x (60 min - 1500yd)

Bike 2x30 min (about 5mi), 1 longer ride for 10mi (this one didn't always happen)

Run/walk: Weeks on couch-to-5k. Most recently 18 min run/12 min walk. I typically do all the running at the front, after a walking warmup.

Swimming's my strongest, biking's my weakest.
2007-05-18 5:00 PM

New user

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Bonnie's Questions
Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for your responses. I am looking so forward from learning from you and the rest of the group!

QUESTION #1: What's the furthest you've ever swam, biked or run/walked (if you don't know miles put time)?
SWAM: Well, I never have measured how far I've swam and really don't like to swim, although I do know "how". Right now I probably could swim (slowly) 300 yards? Maybe 400? Might have to alternate between freestyle and breast stroke though. Not sure.
BIKED: Probably 25 miles (10 years ago or so)....When I was in really good shape.
RAN: I was a really good runner (long ago) - Cross Country and Track. The longest I ever ran was 20 miles. I never felt inclined to do a marathon - and still don't have that "itch"... Enjoy shorter distances (5K) more - although I probably couldn't make a 5K right now.

QUESTION #2: In the last month - what was your average workout week? Like, walked 3x for 30 min or swam 1x for 20 min etc.
I just started working out on Wednesday of this week for the first time in a long time and logging it in the training log on this site:
11 mile Bike ride on Wed.
1.62 mile slow jog and 1.62 fast walk yesterday.
I really do need help coming up with a training "plan" to get me ready for a 5K in mid-June, a sprint tri in Door County, WI in late July (We're doing a sprint relay and my husband has agreed to do the swim portion - he's an awesome swimmer and I'm doing the bike and the run portion). My kids are going to do the Kids tri that day too. Then in August, I will be participating in my 1st sprint tri in Chicago all by myself - )no help from my husband on the swim)... so I've GOT to get myself prepared! Just looking to finish in these events... and would like not to be the last one

QUESTION #3: What is your strongest sport and weakest sport?
Strongest - running (when I'm in shape)
Weakest - swimming

THANK YOU!

2007-05-18 5:36 PM
in reply to: #807435

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Bonnie's Questions
Bonnie and Fellow BT's,

Question #1:
Longest run: 8 miles each Saturday, during the week 4.5 miles
Longest bike: 19 miles (try to ride 3 times a week 12-17 miles)
Swim: had a pool in the backyard as a kid but yet to train for it

Question #2-Workout schedule
M-step training with weights (55 min)
T-run 4.5 miles
W-step training with weights (45 min), bike 13 miles
Th-Run 4.5 miles
F-off
S-run 8 miles, bike 12-17 miles
Su- Run 4.5 miles, bike 13 miles

Question #3-
Weakest sport-biking-I am wishing for a little bike with some pedal help but not in the budget now. Maybe I might say swimming may be my weakest of three after I begin swimming training on Sunday.
2007-05-18 5:39 PM

New user

St. Louis, MO
Subject: Hello Everyone!
Hi Everyone -

I have SO ENJOYED reading your posts and being part of this group. I feel so fortunate to have been at "the right time, at the right place" when I saw the opportunity to join!

I've been poking around the site a bit, and am going to try to figure out how to link your training logs to my own to help keep me inspired

BONNIE: I KNOW I can learn so much from your experiences (both with weight, training and racing). Your "history" has been very motivating already! THANK YOU for taking the time to mentor all of us!

NATHALIE: "The trick for me is to stay focused"... I completely agree! I am hoping that with Bonnie's guidance we can all keep each other focused and motivited I too put a lot of time in my job (often starting my day on the computer as early as 4:30AM....) Spending too many hours in the office and letting myself "go" along the way.

SARAH: Wow - 75lbs... that is terrific! You should be really proud of that. I have a lot of weight to lose as well.
"Working on the last 28 or so and hope to be near goal by September 2007"... Me too

TWYLITE: "My focus off the scale because I can see improvement in so many other ways...body shape, endurance, resting heart rate, etc." This is SO encouraging - thanks for posting about your experience. I find myself "weighing in" several times a day - I've got to stop doing this and focus on just doing the right thing, and the weight will come off. WOW! 5 kids! I'm sure they keep you hopping too! And talking about stupid questions.... Why don't you want a kickstand on your bike? (I'm clueless!)

KATE: "I've been flying by the seat of my pants with my training" That's kind of where I am, but I have just started. It sounds like you have had success with the couch to 5K site, so I will take a closer look at this for my own training. Also, I am am an educator as well and work with school districts all over MO and KS... Maybe we'll run into each other sometime?!

BECKI: I have kids around the same age as you (9 and just turned 7)... You and Bonnie have gone to Weight Watchers (I just started). Hopefully I can find success in Weight Watchers as you and Bonnie have. I am looking forward to the day that I can run 4-8 miles or bike 13-17 miles (without stopping or passing out) like you do!

That's all for now! Looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you!

Best,

Alley

2007-05-18 7:29 PM

New user

St. Louis, MO
Subject: Newbie Training Question (12 week Sprint Training)
Hi Bonnie (All),

I'm a bit confused (or REALLY concerned!) - one of the 12 week sprint training plans out there on this site has a minimum swim of 900 Yards with a maximum of 3,200 yards... (see below):

Min Bike: 20m (duration) / Max Bike: 2h (duration)
Min Run: 10m (duration) / Max Run: 1h 20m (duration)
Min Swim: 900.00Yd (dist) 20m (duration) / Max Swim: 3200.00Yd (dist) 1h 10m (duration)

Why would the minimum swim distance for this 12 week plan (900 yards) be more than double the distance of the swim in both the sprint tris I'll be doing this summer? The 1st tri is in Door County, WI and is a 440 yard swim. The 2nd sprint tri is in Chicago and is 410 yards.

Do you think this is an error, or is this really how you have to train for the swim portion? Certainly 3,200 yards is "overkill", isn't it?!!!

Thankfully, my husband will be doing the swim leg of the tri in Door County (I'll do the rest), but I'm on my own in Chicago.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Alley
2007-05-18 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran

I think this group is really going to help me get back into training, get focused and motivated. I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you.

I have swam 2000 yds but not in a while....I probably could currently swim 800-1000 yds. I've been absent from the pool recently. I've bike 25 miles. I've run/walked a 10K.

In the last month - what was your average workout week? Like, walked 3x for 30 min or swam 1x for 20 min etc.

Average workout in the last couple weeks has been 3X each sport varying from 30 minute runs to 1 hour runs, 40 min to 70 min on the bike, and swimming 30-40 minutes.

Strongest sport is swimming....I'm comfortable in the water. Running is definitely the most difficult. I move slow and its hard to keep running. I'm working on that.

Biking is okay for me. I've improved a lot in the last year but hills are still quite a challenge. I need to be able to not get psyched out by a big hill in front of me....I tend to panic a little when I see a steep uphill.

Nathalie

2007-05-18 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Swam - 1/4 mile in the most recent tri that I did
Bike - 20 miles or so, but not during a race, more of a relaxed Sunday morning ride
Ran - 26.2 miles in training, as well as 2 marathons (Chicago 2006, ING Georgia 2007)

Right now I'm working out 6-7 days per week. M-F is a BootCamp style workout consisting of running, pushups, squats, hill running, dips, abs, etc...I can't believe how much it has improved my running! I also have a long run on Saturday mornings. When BootCamp ends in 2 weeks, I'll start my marathon training (running 3x per week) and weight training (3x per week), cross training will be spin classes and some kind of triathlon training.

Strongest - Running
Weakest - Swimming and Biking. Oy. I just don't know how to really swim proper laps and that frustrates me. I'm slow on the bike, but able to finish. It took me 58 minutes to complete 12 miles of rolling hills. (This is on a hybrid with thinner tires, but not road tires).

2007-05-18 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
What a great mix of experience we have in our group ladies!!!

Alley - That program is a "recommendation". If your swim will be about 400 yds then I would start at about 200yds and work your way up to 1600 yds for a whole swim workout. I know that seems like a lot but here's the thing with swimming. It's the easiest of all the sports on your body. Your not pounding your joints and for many people the swim (especially if it's not a pool swim) is the scariest part of a triathlon so knowing you can do 4x the distance will build your confidence

Let's talk about running. Nathalie you mentioned this is an area you want to improve on. Here's my best advice. Check out gmap-pedometer.com and measure from your street .25 miles away. This will allow you to go out .25 miles and back for a .5 mile RT. So from your house start by walking for 4 minutes then pick up the pace (this could be a run, jog or faster walk) for 1 minute. Repeat until you get to your turnaround and back to your house.

I'd encourage those of you that really want to work on the run/walk part of the race to start here. Time yourself and see how long it takes you to do that .5 mile. If you feel up to it do another lap or maybe 2.

As for putting together a training plan here's my basic rule of thumb, work backwards from your race to today and figure out how many weeks you have. You want to increase your exercise by about 10% per week. So start with these distances for our sprinters

Walk/Run: 1 mile
Bike: 6 miles
Swim: 200yds

Start with those 3 workouts 2x per week, if you feel good do them 3x per week then see how you felt. When I was getting ready for my first sprint I was:

Swimming 2x per week (about 800-1200yds in a workout)
Biking 2x per week (8-12 miles)
Run/Walk 3x per week (1.5-3 miles)

I started building toward these workouts gradually about 12 weeks before my race. For me biking was my strongest so I was biking about 25-40 miles before my first sprint but running a 5k was such a challenge for me.

In order to link to people's logs go into your Control Panel and then scroll down to where you can enter people's usernames. I've linked all of you to my training log.

Just a friendly reminder, everyone here is working towards their goal and none of us are exactly alike so try not to compare yourself to anyone but you. Beat your own times, goals and workouts because we are our own best competition

Happy weekend training!!!!
2007-05-18 10:25 PM

User image

Louisiana

Bonnie, I really like your common sense approach to training. It's good to get recommendations for us real beginners. I feel better about my training if I set small goals to meet, rather than compare myself to others, although the temptation is everpresent!

One thing that helps me ladies, is every day in my blog I record "Today's success". It may be something as small as resisting a chocolate chip cookie, or actually lacing up my shoes to run. It helps keep me focused.

Gotta go gals. Family is leaving for Santa Fe tomorrow at 3A. Taking travel trailer, 2 cars, 6 bikes, 5 kids, and 3 cases of beer. Plan to hike and bike in the Oh-so-thin air up there. If I'm offline, I haven't deserted. Just don't have a computer handy. Ya'll have a great week!

Happy training!

2007-05-19 2:13 AM

User image

Louisiana

Up at 1:30 to go to Santa Fe (800+) miles, and  I've got a few moments to read over your posts. Saw the questions from you, Bonnie. You are amazing...over 300 to begin! I know I can learn a lot from your experience. I've never done a tri, and just decided to do it this year.

What's the furthest you've ever swam, biked or run/walked (if you don't know miles put time)?  Swim-1300yds in pool, Bike-17miles in hills. I live in piney hills of north LA...no flat area. Run-5 miles in past, 18 minutes as of late...building very slowly.  Had a medial knee and lower back problem in past, so very cautious on the run. Training on dirt or track only.

What is your strongest sport and weakest sport? Feel all are weak. Prefer biking...I don't fatigue as easily. Usually stop because of time constraints. Swam all winter indoor pool, relearning with TI method. I'm pretty comfortable in the water and usually swim my workout straight, without a break. But that's the problem, I'm comfortable, and go pretty slow. Hate running for now. Amazes me how I can be so comfortable in other sports and really suck at running. HR jumps over 150 as soon as I pick my first foot up off the ground.  Figure that. Trying to readjust my attitude.

(Uh oh, DH just got up and I gotta run)

What is your strongest sport and weakest sport? Have to refer you to my log. I love to chart, keeps me honest.

Gotta go...will see ya'll on the road.

2007-05-20 5:26 PM

New user

St. Louis, MO
Subject: What to Wear? What do I really Need? and Transitions

Hi,

Apparel Suggestions

Now for the really important question... What do I wear?    

Those triathlete suits look a bit intimidating...

What are the GOT TO HAVES and OPTIONAL apparel I should consider? 

What I already have

• A swimming suit (NOT a sports kind) - it's got a little skirt on the bottom - I'm thinking is NOT an option
  • T-Shirts
  • Running Shorts
  • Running Shoes

I have two tris that I have signed up for this summer.  The first tri (in Door County, WI) I will only have to do the Swimming and Running (my husband is doing the swim portion).  The 2nd tri I will be on my own, and in the water  

What about:  sunglasses?  goggles?  swimming cap (it seems like everyone has one of these on... why?)?

Equipment

What equipment for my bike would YOU suggest are MUST HAVES and those that are options?  I am fortunate enough to have purchased a road bike 20 years ago that is still in great shape and made out of chrome (very light).  It's in the shop for a tune up now.  I'm assuming I should use this one, and not my more recently purchased "mountain bike" type bike. 

What accessories are really important to have?

I have to get a new helmet - what kind would you suggest?

I really would like to track my mileage when I ride my bike - what would you suggest?

Transitions

I am embarrassed to ask, but how does all of this work?  You don't strip down naked to get your clothes for the bike portion on - so what do you do?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Alley

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bonnie Crawford's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 3