BT Development Mentor Program Archives » run4yrlif's group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2007-05-16 7:58 AM

User image

Giver
Subject: run4yrlif's group-CLOSED

NAME: run4yrlif/Jim
STORY: I've been a triathlete off and on for about 13 years (although my first race was officially way back in 1983--sheesh!). I came to the sport through swimming. I was a competitive swimmer from age 5 through college, and after graduating (and laying on the couch for a couple of years), it was a natural progression. And I'd always had a goal to complete an Ironman race--which I did last year at IM Florida. I currently coach triathletes and runners here in Augusta, GA for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training program.
FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to Amy (snarkalapagus on this site), and have a 7yo daughter, Nola (who's not on the site yet).
CURRENT TRAINING: This year is sort of a transitional year for me. I had thought about training for the Great Floridian iron-distance race, but Amy's getting into the sport so I'm sort of letting this be her year. So I'm training informally (meaning not following a set plan and just working stuff in where I can. I plan on doing a few sprints, and the Six Gap Century in the fall.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year I did just two races, a little sprint in Parris Island, SC and Ironman Florida. I had a pretty good race there, but was slowed by a mechanical issue on the bike. I had an absolute blast, though.
2007 RACES: See above. I've done one sprint and plan to do a few others.
WEIGHTLOSS: I really need to drop about 15 pounds!

Edited by run4yrlif 2007-05-16 8:58 PM

2007-05-16 11:33 AM
in reply to: #802336

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: RE: run4yrlif's group-OPEN
my official 'intent' to join

My name is Carrie I live outside of Philadelphia. I'm a runner!!!!!! I have spent the last ten years running my butt off in all distances up to & including the marathon ( the 1/2 being my favorite) until I finally got a stress fracture in my foot which made me realize that 10 years had past and I am now 30. Apparently I can't run my long runs followed by a couple of soccer games - something has to give In any case, I thought that maybe doing triathlons would be a great way to kind of force cross training into my world. As it turns out, I'm falling in love QUICKLY with the training. I have been a martial artist for 20 years now. I'm currently in a training cycle that lasts 6 months for my next degree black belt. The martial arts lifestyle meshes extremely well with a runner's lifestyle and so far both mesh well with my training for the triathlons. Even though I have only been training for a short time I am noticing how time consuming & strategic fitting in & figuring out training schedules & whatnot. It's just me and my fish with a very flexible job so I can only imagine what it's like for someone with family obligations.

My goals are to not only complete in my first few triathlons this upcoming summer but complete them strong!!!!!!! & healthy!!!!!! I'm extremely motivated and enthusiastic about doing this. This mentor program looks like it will help to make me even more motivated & enthusiastic about my training.

FEARS: THE SWIM - however, I have been practicing and getting better with every stroke

Not sure if there is anything else to say now except I think this mentor program is a fabulous idea and its very welcoming! It also kind of adds a little accountability. That is always a good thing. Even the most motivated person kind of needs someone/something to kick em in the bum sometimes. he he I'm looking forward to the next few months!!!!!!!!!
2007-05-16 12:37 PM
in reply to: #802856

User image

Giver

carrie1 - 2007-05-16 12:33 PM my official 'intent' to join

Welcome, Carrie!

2007-05-16 1:46 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-16 2:37 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Sign me up!!!  I'll come back in and post my full Bio later, but what could be better than having Jim as a mentor? 

Highlights: first season of triathlons (or running, biking, swimming for that matter), competed 2 sprint tris so far this year, plan on 2-3 more sprints and 1-2 Olys, married to crazytrain (wendy) who's also new to tris and we have a 4 year old son and 2 year old daughter.

2007-05-16 2:50 PM
in reply to: #803112

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Hey Kevin, I recently had a stress fracture myself (the navicular bone in the foot). NOT FUN! At the time I was JUST a runner and running too much, apparently ;-), so I was upset that I had to crosstrain, bike & swim. Looking back if I hadn't fractured my foot I wouldn't be typing this message to you or attempting my first triathlons I would still be JUST a runner!

Good luck with your healing!!!!

2007-05-16 2:57 PM

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Hi, I'm Cathleen - and I'm 37 (gulp). Mother of 3: Alyssa 7, Thomas 6 and Isabel 20 months. My husband Cesar is very supportive of me and was very proud when I completed my first TRI just 2 weeks ago. Our lifestyle is about to change though in August as he is going back to school for his MBA (full time work and full time school) - so I will be taking on the additional role of Dad to the kids on the weekend while he is in school. I hope all the TRI training will release the strees I'll be having for the next 22 months.

I was athletic in HS and college but not really much upon entering the work force for 10 years before parenthood happened. After having kids Mommy life took over and I left little or no time for me. That lifestyle has since changed. I just finished my first sprint TRI in May and was hooked. I am signed up for another TRI in August in Michigan (longer then sprint but shorter then OLY) and another Sprint in October over in Austin.....

I had a great time at my first TRI but realize I need to work on all 3 areas. My swim is very comfortable - no fear of OWS! But I had difficulty sighting so I mostly breast stroked it. So I am working on bi-lateral breathing and sighting - though this is difficult since I have a toddler and no OWS areas close by.

I had only been on my bike maybe 3 times prior to May's TRI, and I had little idea what I was doing with gears (see race report) I managed a +15mph though but need to work on gears and aero position. My goal is to be at a +17 speed for the August TRI.

My run, well, I can do the distance my speed just isn't there. I should mention that in the process of training up for 1st TRI I developed asthma and it seems that it is exercise induced asthma as it flares when i run. I am slowly working on this... I would like to be at a 10:30 minute mile without asthma flare up for the August TRI. Lots of inhalers have it under control but mostly when working out I need to keep my HR in check and not let it go too high.

My ultimate goal though is to drop another 30 pounds by October! Since starting this crazy sport we call TRI'ing I have lost 20 but have leveled out. I am using the BT OLY 3x 16 week training plan right now and hoping the increase in training time will help kick start the weight lose again.

So that's me in a nut shell... advice welcomed.

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2007-05-16 3:27 PM
2007-05-16 2:58 PM

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
...sorry, I changed my mind...

Edited by So Fresh So Clean 2007-05-16 2:59 PM
2007-05-16 3:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario

Hi - I'd like to join the group. I'll come back and write a bio when I get home from work.

O.K. - now the details 

NAME:  David aka herridge

STORY: I have always been a fairly active person, however, not very athletic.  I was one of the only kids at my high school who found the loophole that let me drop gym class as a subject.  I played tennis, through high school, and have always loved cross country skiing, but competition and team sports were not my thing. When I graduated from university (almost 20 years ago) I bought a bike and have gradually become a serious cyclist.  Through my 20's I worked out at a gym to keep fit for the things I love to do: hiking, climbing, canoeing, and skiing.  When the kids came along I found I had less time for the gym and when I changed jobs I stopped going altogether.  At that point I started running to bridge the gap between cycling and ski seasons.  I ran a few 5 k races at a conference I go to every year and last year when I turned 38++ I decided to add swimming to the mix and do a triathlon.  Tri had appealed to me since I saw one back in university days, and a few years back I just happened to be in Penticton for Ironman Canada.  The tri bug had been planted in my head and it seems it was released last year.  At this point I have done one sprint tri last August.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married and have a 10 year old boy and a 7 year old girl.  There is currently another on the way (oops!).  My wife is active but has not been super supportive of this new interest.  We have always done things together and I don't think she likes my doing something that takes me away from the family and her.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I am signed up for an Olympic race on June 16th and have another that I plan to do on July 7th.  My training is based on the bronze level 20 week olympic plan from this site with some modifications to suit my schedule

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year I did my first race, the National Capital Sprint Triathlon, based on training using the BT 16 week sprint plan.  I was pleased enough with my results, coming in around the 66th percentile on my first race.

2007 RACES:  See above.

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really an issue for me.  I'm 6'4", 180 lbs - I put on about 30 lbs when the kids were born that I would ultimately like to convert to muscle - but I needed the weight as I was clinically underweight for many years.

David

Edited by herridge 2007-05-16 4:45 PM
2007-05-16 3:04 PM

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Hi,
Thank you for the PM, this is my official intent to join as you mentioned.
I am 49, 5'9", 154lbs, have always been active, and done many 10k races in Australia, but always treated sport in recreational way. Recently I developed a desire to do an Olimpic Tri and started one of the BT programs for that. I follow it without any difficulty, enjoy it and would really like to improve specially my swim.
I can do 1500m in 37min, bike 40k in 1hr 20min and run 10k in 55min if I do them separately.
At this point I could do any 2 of those together, but 3... I am not so sure.
Please let me know if I am part of this group.

Mark

Edited by markz 2007-05-16 3:10 PM
2007-05-16 3:11 PM

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Hey Jim...

I'm in!  I have my first tri in a month... I need all the advice I can get.  I'll post my bio later... I have mommying to do at the moment.

Mila

2007-05-16 3:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
NY

I'm in.  You gave me some good advice when I first signed up for the site so who better to get more from.  I will fill out my bio later, but my first race is in 3 weeks, so bring on the advice!

So here we go -

I live in Westchester County, NY, about 20 miles outside of NYC.  I'm married  for 3 and a 1/2 years and have two girls, Caroline 2 1/2 and Grace 15 months.  Both my wife and I work in NYC (me finance, her fashion).

I've been athletic all my life, played football, hockey and baseball in HS and Hockey in college.  Always been interested in Ironman and distance races.  My dad is a runner with over 10 different marathons under his belt, so I was always around it.

Started training about 4 months ago.  Couldnt swim at all.  Now I find myself doing 1000 - 2000 yards a workout and its a huge confidence boost.  I'm doing 3 sprints this summer and an OLY in September. 

I'm extremely competitive and doing this for fitness, competition and fun.  I hope to do a 1/2 Iron next year, then who knows.  In the meantime I have my first Sprint on June 2 and I can't wait. 

Edited by emac21 2007-05-16 4:12 PM
2007-05-16 3:37 PM

Champion
the colony texas
can I be in??

I don't have any true "A" races this is my first year doing tri's and I'll be doing three Oly. distances ones this summer,, mostly I'll be training for a century bike ride my first and a fall/winter marathon somewhere [my 4th} while doing the tri's.

gary
2007-05-16 3:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
I would also like to join your group. I live in ATL and my sister is down in Augusta, so we are practically neighbors.

I grew up competitively swimming as well, until I hit college (competitive drinking). For the past 7 years, my time in the gym was spent lifting weights with some big guys and trying to get in better shape that way. I have also run the Peachtree for about 5 years but I never trained for it, I just ran it (sub 53, which is not bad for never running). I finally realized that when I was just lifting, I was spending more time injured than working out. So last year I set a goal to do a sprint. I immediately did nothing toward the goal outside of some road biking with friends. So, using my usual tactic, I signed up for the "My First Triathlon" a week before the event (5/5). I had been to spin class some so I thought that will count. My goal was to finish within 1:30. I finished 1:25 and 13 in my age group (40-44) and 91 out of 315. I guess respectable. So now I am hooked. You can track my training online that I just learned about this week. My goal is a few more sprints this summer and the OLY in LaGrange in late August.

Since I am just into the sport, I am looking for every bit of training info/advice I can get. I could probably stand to lose about 10 pounds or so. Hence, joining your group, if allowed. Thanks
2007-05-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: #803282

2007-05-16 4:19 PM

If there is still room I'd like to join your group! I am 3 weeks into training for some sprint tri's this year... I live in ATlanta and have always played tennis, but am ready to try something new! I am sure I will survive the run and bike at this point, but I am really working on the swim right now. I have asthma so I have to keep telling myself to breath in the water... and I keep my inhaler at the edge of the pool - HA! Okay - I will post more later if you have room for me...
Aimee

2007-05-16 4:51 PM

Edited by lvthgme 2007-05-16 6:22 PM
2007-05-16 5:51 PM

Rapid City, SD

Hey, I'm Nate.  If this group isn't too full already, I'd like to join.  I just started triathlon-ing this year and would like someone to make sure I'm doing anything stupid.  I got into this because I really needed something to do that would keep me healthy and I could do it on my own.  I also wanted some sort of challenge that would get me doing something active and wasn't as boring/daunting as just running for 4 hours straight. 

I just did my first sprint Tri in the end of April and I'm trying to continue with a few more this summer.  I also just signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon.  So I'm trying to balance training for that with all the other cross training needed for tris.  I'm not trying to lose any weight or win any races, I just do this because it's fun and a challenge.  Now, everyone thinks I'm crazy for it. 

Well, let me know if I can join.  Talk to you later.

~ Nate

2007-05-16 7:43 PM

Hi Jim,
I would like to be in your group. I just started triathlon training Jan. 2007. I'm 41, born on the 4th of July. Background is running Junior College & D2 Cross Country. 25.12 5mile & 32.33 10k, I've done a lot of bike touring but very little racing. Started Cyclocross this past fall, all races were in Minnesota. I'm on the LBS Racing Team-Epic Sports Bismarck, ND. My wife still thinks I asked to be on the team but the owner did really ask me. I also run for my podiatrist Team FootCare Associates. I currently do not swim very well that's the main reason I want to be in your group. Look at my log. I did pass lifeguarding for the lake front but I still do not know how.

I'm married, my wife Theresa is the Ladies Golf Champion at Apple Creek C.C. in Bismarck. We have two springer spaniels, Denali & Kenai. I work in the Williston Basin oilfield as a Mudlogger which I just started in January 2007.

My race season depends on my days off. Badlands Classic Bike Races, TT & 28mile road,May 19 & 20, Medora, ND, Bismarck Tri June 10th, Dickinson, ND Tri July, Mandan Lifenets Triathlon Aug. 28th, Dakota 5-0 Mountain Bike race Sept. Spearfish, SD. Then 3 Minnesota Cyclocross races. I was planning on running a 5K each month but I haven't seen any races close to home. Races so far this year Zooyearseve 5k 19:05 very cold and icy, Great American indoor bike Race, 25 minutes 14.07 miles raised $110.00 dollars for CP.

I've have arthritis in my big toes & middle fingers other than that I am fairly healthy.
Dave in ND
2007-05-16 9:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Sorry your group is closed - good luck!
2007-05-16 9:19 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: run4yrlif's group-CLOSED

NAME: Rob (Sunburnin)

STORY: 36 year old and new to tri's this year.  I got the bug from a friend who's training for IMLP and she convince me to try a tri last June.  My wife took the leap with me and we both trained for a 5k last fall and then for our first tri this March.  I was hooked with the training and more so after the first race.  I just did my second race this past weekend (first OWS and not such a good experience - haha) but I'm getting back out and practicing again this saturday.  I was semi athletic as a kid and in HS, but nothing since.  This is the best shape I've ever been in (and I have a long way to go).  I'm 5'9" and 179lb (down from 196 a year ago!!!)

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Wendy (crazytrain here on BT) for 7 years and we have a 4 year old son (Aidan) and a 2 year old daughter (Kierra).  Wendy is training with me but probably won't race as much.

CURRENT TRAINING:  We're working with a local coach who's setting up our weekly plans for us.  She also teaches a tri swim clinic I'll wrap up next week.  Another 8 week session coming up in a month.  I train mainly in the mornings before work so I have lots of time for the family at night.  Typically train 6-9 hours per week.

LAST YEARS RACES:  4 5 k's.  Each a bit faster than the one before (went from 34:45 to 32:20)

2007 RACES:  MAP Sprint Tri (Mar 18) 1:31:, Cane Creek Sprint Tri (May 12) 1:51 (boo), Latta Sprint Tri (June 16), Lake Logan Oly (Aug 4), Lake Norman Sprint (Aug 25)... Looking at a few others for July, Sept and Oct TBD

WEIGHLOSS:  Already down from 196 to 179... want to get to 170 mid summer for my races.

2007-05-17 7:37 AM
in reply to: #803112

Giver

Hey Kevin! I totally here you about the gaining weight thing. After I got out of school, I packed on about 20 pounds that I've always struggled to drop--I have a reallyhard time getting down to my fighting weight. Even when I was IM training, the weight didn't want to come off (it turnsout that I really like to eat). And I guess that makes three of us with stress fractures. I had a tibial stress fracture that I actually ran a marathon on. Your approach to it sounds much better.

Welcome!

Bopper - 2007-05-16 2:46 PM

NAME: Bopper/Kevin

STORY: I've been an athletic person for my entire life. Growing up in small town Southern Ontario, we had the "run" of the town and surrounding area. Spent days running thru the river flats, biking to friends house, and generally being active. High school came, I ran a little cross country, played LOTS of basketball, and high jump. Community College, one year of varsity basketball. I played men's league and p/u b'ball for 15 years after that. I played softball for 25 years... and have always enjoyed cycling. I played golf, squash, volleyball, tennis, etc... (I hope you are getting the picture).
Unfortunately, I also ATE well. From the moment I got married up until 3 years ago... I was putting on weight. When I reached 250 lbs... I decided it was time to make a change. I started by walking on treadmill... then spring came and I decided to take up cycling. I joined a leisure riding group and started cycling to work occasionally. I quickly realized my old road bike just didn't make the grade anymore. Purchased a new road bike and have fallen in love. That year cycled 2000 km.... next year decided to ride even more. I commuted to work 2x a week (21km one way) and rode many weekends. I also participated in Tour For Kids (www.tourforkids.com) last August and cycled 800km in 4 days.
During that ride I met many people who did triathlons and decided that it was time I bring a 20 yr dream to fruition. I began training for triathlons. I am now swimming very well (although open water is still on my list of things to do)... and cycling is GREAT. However, running is NOT going at all. I need some mentoring in how to build SLOWLY. I developed stress fracture in my leg training this spring and haven't been able to run since. I'm hoping this mentoring group will be able to help with my questions and in keeping me motivated.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with children... LOL. Married for 19 years and have three wonderful boys. She's very supportive of all my endeavours, BUT she won't join me in trying them... she's not the atletic type. I'm hoping that my athleticism will fuel my kids desires to keep fit as well.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm currently cycling (approx. 200 km/wk) and swimming (3000+ metres/wk). I however, am under doctors STRICT orders... NO RUNNING. Until my stress fracture heals I'm limited to the two other sports. I was trying to run 2x a week for 40 min. I try to ride 3x a week and swim 2x a week. I haven't really followed a plan... I'm just winging it with some guidance from a friend. However, when I get back to running, I will start to follow a running plan so that I can hopefully run in the last Tri of the year on Labour Day weekend.

LAST YEARS RACES: No races last year... this is my FIRST year of many I hope.

2007 RACES: Details in logs

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to get down to 210 lbs... and maintain that weight.
I am 6' 3" tall and don't think being under 200 lbs will be attainable (or healthy). I have 15 lbs to go... and have been losing 2 lbs a week since I started riding outdoors again. I think that by July I can make my target.

Sorry for the lengthy intro, but I'm in for the long haul.
Kevin

2007-05-17 7:37 AM
in reply to: #803603

2007-05-17 7:38 AM
in reply to: #803251

Giver
sunburnin - 2007-05-16 3:37 PM

Sign me up!!!  I'll come back in and post my full Bio later, but what could be better than having Jim as a mentor? 

I know you're just here for the cake...

I'll be interested to hear how it goes with both you and your wife training, since Amy and I are trying to manage the same thing.

2007-05-17 7:47 AM
in reply to: #803301

Giver

Hey Cathleen! First, I gotta say, I have an enormous amount of respect for anyone that can train in Houston! We lived in Seabrook for about 5 years, and while you can acclimate, it's nothing but miserable for a lot of the year (two seasons: summer and February). I'd actually be surprised if you *didn't* have exercise-induced asthma, since i just don't think lungs were meant to breath in water-saturated furnace air 40 times a minute...

Tri training is all about organization and balance--it's no doubt going to be hard juggling it with what you've got going on in your life, but I'm sure you can do it if you stay disciplined about managing your schedule (I do foresee lots of stationary trainer time, though).

houston-tri-mama - 2007-05-16 3:57 PM Hi, I'm Cathleen - and I'm 37 (gulp). Mother of 3: Alyssa 7, Thomas 6 and Isabel 20 months. My husband Cesar is very supportive of me and was very proud when I completed my first TRI just 2 weeks ago. Our lifestyle is about to change though in August as he is going back to school for his MBA (full time work and full time school) - so I will be taking on the additional role of Dad to the kids on the weekend while he is in school. I hope all the TRI training will release the strees I'll be having for the next 22 months. I was athletic in HS and college but not really much upon entering the work force for 10 years before parenthood happened. After having kids Mommy life took over and I left little or no time for me. That lifestyle has since changed. I just finished my first sprint TRI in May and was hooked. I am signed up for another TRI in August in Michigan (longer then sprint but shorter then OLY) and another Sprint in October over in Austin..... I had a great time at my first TRI but realize I need to work on all 3 areas. My swim is very comfortable - no fear of OWS! But I had difficulty sighting so I mostly breast stroked it. So I am working on bi-lateral breathing and sighting - though this is difficult since I have a toddler and no OWS areas close by. I had only been on my bike maybe 3 times prior to May's TRI, and I had little idea what I was doing with gears (see race report) I managed a +15mph though but need to work on gears and aero position. My goal is to be at a +17 speed for the August TRI. My run, well, I can do the distance my speed just isn't there. I should mention that in the process of training up for 1st TRI I developed asthma and it seems that it is exercise induced asthma as it flares when i run. I am slowly working on this... I would like to be at a 10:30 minute mile without asthma flare up for the August TRI. Lots of inhalers have it under control but mostly when working out I need to keep my HR in check and not let it go too high. My ultimate goal though is to drop another 30 pounds by October! Since starting this crazy sport we call TRI'ing I have lost 20 but have leveled out. I am using the BT OLY 3x 16 week training plan right now and hoping the increase in training time will help kick start the weight lose again. So that's me in a nut shell... advice welcomed.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » run4yrlif's group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18