in reply to: #943225

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-08-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: #802336

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: RE: run4yrlif's group-CLOSED

Hey guys, I really need some re-motivation.  Since being back from Michigan I just can't seem to want to train.  Granted it's been 3 weeks off of true training - post-race, travel and illness - but I really don't want to do the race in October.  But I am signed up, am about to pay for my father to travel for my child care plus a hotel.... help re-motivate me!!!!

anyone else in same non-motivation mode right now?

2007-08-28 10:33 AM
in reply to: #943649

2007-08-28 10:34 AM

2007-08-28 10:34 AM

2007-08-28 12:36 PM

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
houston-tri-mama - 2007-08-28 9:22 AM

Hey guys, I really need some re-motivation.  Since being back from Michigan I just can't seem to want to train.  Granted it's been 3 weeks off of true training - post-race, travel and illness - but I really don't want to do the race in October.  But I am signed up, am about to pay for my father to travel for my child care plus a hotel.... help re-motivate me!!!!

anyone else in same non-motivation mode right now?

Seems to me you have a lot hurdles in life right now that syphon the enthusiasm out of you. I remember my tenants sending me to court to battle with the building department - in those days I would stop in the middle of the swim in the pool and wanted to just go home... But bike always worked for me though and I just rode more - that took the frustration with life away. Kind of like Adam Sandler going to his 'happy place'...

I don't know what your favourite is (of those 3 things we do) - just concentrate on doing that, it should help.

2007-08-28 4:19 PM
in reply to: #944131

2007-08-28 4:38 PM
in reply to: #944707

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA

Bopper - 2007-08-28 5:19 PM sorry for the multiple posts... my 'puter wasn't working right this morning...

I really thought you were trying to emphasize the point!

As far as motivation is concerned, I was really slacking about a month ago.  I signed up for an Oly and made myself go out and train really hard the first day (10k run and a swim).  Was it crazy to reinvigorate with a big combo, probably.  But it gave me a little fire in the belly that I can meet my goals if I keep training hard.  (that being said, I didn't swim today and plan to only do a 30 mi ride tonight). 

2007-08-28 4:41 PM
in reply to: #943166

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA
Bopper - 2007-08-27 9:30 PM

ok... I'm putting this up for an opinion.

Starting next year... the triathlon organizers of the tri series I've been running in has gotten the rights to put on a Ironman 70.3 event. I NEVER thought I'd be interested in running one of these events... but I am now wondering.

What are the pros... and cons... and can I talk "her who holds the reigns" into allowing me that much training time.... all things that are weighing on me. I am seriously going to wait until after the tri this weekend and see how things go.

Why do we desire to destroy our bodies and push our boundaries? Just putting my questions down... what I will do is still to be decided. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

I am really thinking about doing a 70.3 next year.  I feel that I am strong enough to complete the Oly without being dead (TBD in 2 weeks).  I plan on making my decision after the Oly so I can better judge how I felt, etc.  The other piece is the training that will have to be ramped up even more.  That can be taxing on the family.  My wife hasn't given me the ok to do the 70.3, and I left it up to her in some respects since it will hurt family time...but at least it isn't the full IM... 

2007-08-28 7:10 PM
in reply to: #944763

2007-08-28 9:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA

All-

I sent an email to run4yrlif and got a response.  He said he has been working on writing a novel or something like that and dealing with vertigo so he hasn't been training alot.  Thus we haven't seen him.  Too bad, but I still enjoy everyone else's company.

2007-08-28 10:00 PM

I'm trying to stay motivated also. I'm done with the triathlons for this year but still want to maintain my fitness. I need to improve my swimming by several seconds per hundred if I want to get more competive for next year. I planned on doing a couple of cyclocross races this fall but really don't know when I could get down to the Minneapolis area to do them.

Bopper, If I had a 70.3 event close to me. I would try to get in shape to race it. My wife would kill me & I would be divorced. I would still like to do a 70.3 but need to figure out a plan to get it done that works for my wife and me. I probably would have to find a new job.

I think you probably could finish a 70.3 right now but I bet your legs would be hurting really bad or worse yet you would get reinjured and would sidelined again.

I saw Jim has announced his return on Cup of Joe forum.
2007-08-28 10:57 PM
in reply to: #945111

2007-08-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: #945159

Master

Kevin, you shoud sooo be able to do an OLY - I just did a Spr/Oly in August and if I can do that - you can definately do a full Oly!!!

I got out again today - my Y is closed and the other Y's are too far away and child care isn't nearly as good as my Y so I'm just out running/walking in neighborhood.  Hoping by next week the excitement and committment to Tri's will return in gusto.  Thanks for the inspires....

2007-08-29 2:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario

I've been through the HIM issue with myself and came to a decision earlier this year.  The Canadian 113 (and full 226) are on in Ottawa this coming weekend and part of my early season plan was to ramp up the training and do the half - I'll be a spectator instead.  I feel I am ready to swim and run the HIM, but finding the time to get enough time in the saddle is just not happening.  I don't have an overly supportive spouse for one thing, and our little surprise (due in another week) killed any thoughts of even racing in the sprint this weekend.  I've decided that for the next year or two I am going to concentrate on getting faster in sprint and olympic races (there's lots of room for improvement) and go to the longer races when I start to plateau a bit.

Ending my season early has given me a bit of a motivational problem as well.  I decided to take a full week off after my last race and it nearly killed me waiting  to get back at it again.  My running motivation is fine (although it feels silly to be ramping up the running volume without a goal race in mind - I want to build some more base and get to the point where a 10k feels as easy as a 5k does now).  My swimming and cycling are suffering though.  If I get a chance to do a nice long ride I will, but I haven't been making excuses to go the long way to work or anything.  I haven't been in the water in a month now (my regular pool is closed for maintenance but that is not really the reason - plenty of other options around).

I'm not sure what the solution is on the motivation other than to set a concrete goal so you have something to push for.  That was one of the reason's I signed up for my first tri: without the goal I wasn't getting enough exercise in. 

2007-08-29 3:26 PM
in reply to: #946169

Master
herridge - 2007-08-29 2:26 PM

I've been through the HIM issue with myself and came to a decision earlier this year.  The Canadian 113 (and full 226) are on in Ottawa this coming weekend and part of my early season plan was to ramp up the training and do the half - I'll be a spectator instead.  I feel I am ready to swim and run the HIM, but finding the time to get enough time in the saddle is just not happening.  I don't have an overly supportive spouse for one thing, and our little surprise (due in another week) killed any thoughts of even racing in the sprint this weekend.  I've decided that for the next year or two I am going to concentrate on getting faster in sprint and olympic races (there's lots of room for improvement) and go to the longer races when I start to plateau a bit.

Ending my season early has given me a bit of a motivational problem as well.  I decided to take a full week off after my last race and it nearly killed me waiting  to get back at it again.  My running motivation is fine (although it feels silly to be ramping up the running volume without a goal race in mind - I want to build some more base and get to the point where a 10k feels as easy as a 5k does now).  My swimming and cycling are suffering though.  If I get a chance to do a nice long ride I will, but I haven't been making excuses to go the long way to work or anything.  I haven't been in the water in a month now (my regular pool is closed for maintenance but that is not really the reason - plenty of other options around).

I'm not sure what the solution is on the motivation other than to set a concrete goal so you have something to push for.  That was one of the reason's I signed up for my first tri: without the goal I wasn't getting enough exercise in. 

Hey David, let us know about the "little surprise" when he/she arrives!  It's an exciting time for you.

I am signed up for my third tri - ends my first season - but I feel burned out... taking the time off also hurt me in the motivation... I'm just trying to make sure I get out everyday and do something active and that the desire to compete will come back.  I even started looking for a race in early january even if I have to travel... anything to get some excitment back. 

cathleen

2007-09-06 8:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
ATLANTA

I am doing an Oly next weekend.  Should be fun as I haven't raced in over a month.  I feel pretty good about it.  This weekend I did about a 28 mi bike and 3 mi run without feeling tired.  Sure the swim can be exhausting (from the beatings not the swim itself) but the swim start in in groups of 3 so that should make for a slightly more sane swim.  I look forward to it and hope to come in with a decent time.

I have already started to set time goals for FL70.3 next year.  I think 6 hrs is very doable, 45 min is generous time for the swim, 3 hr for bike (it's generally flat in Orlando so over 18 mph is easy), 2 hrs on the run (9 min miles give or take) and 15 min total transition.  With 7 months of training, this should be my baseline and I will try to shoot below it.  Am I not thinking correctly anyone?

2007-09-06 10:38 AM
in reply to: #953688

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

JBD: enjoy the Oly! Good to see you fired up and setting ambitious goals. Your plan seems realistic, just need to do long bricks to get used to running a 1/2 marathon after 56mile bike... I'm planning to do the same in 2009.

General question: how do you attach bike computer to the stem? I just installed aerobars on my road bike and need to relocate the computer - no more space on the handlebar.

2007-09-06 11:03 AM
in reply to: #953885

2007-09-06 1:01 PM
in reply to: #953926

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Thanks Bopper, for now I just used the blue 'poster putty' - seems to work well. I will figure out how to attach a quick tie later. Right now I want to just play with my new aerobars and aero bottle. Don't we need new toys once in a while...
2007-09-08 2:40 PM

Master

Announcement:  My TRI  season is officially over.  I was to have raced Oct. 6; however I have been unable to get my asthma back under control since returning from Michigan.  I'm dissappointed but hope that by not racing I will allow my body to heal and get the asthma under control thus enabling me to start maintenance training soon and then be able to really gear up in December for an early start to next season - the TRI season starts in late March/early April.

Not too happy with the reason for my cancellation but what can I do, roll with the issues and try to stay as healthy as I can.  Off to drown my sorrows.....

2007-09-08 3:17 PM
in reply to: #956484

2007-09-09 4:00 PM
in reply to: #956504

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

x2

Health is much more important than another race! I admire you for being so active with asthma. You will always be able to do a race when your condition improves, next season will come in few months.

2007-09-10 10:50 AM
in reply to: #956484

Extreme Veteran
Pa

I'm sorry to hear that your asthma is getting in the way.  I've actually never known any athletes with asthma, so I'm not sure what you are experiencing, not that I would not having asthma myself.  Maybe I don't know any athletes with asthma because it prevents them from being active.  That says a lot good things about you  

I've seen a lot of talk of 1/2 IM distance   I've decided to do the timberman 1/2 IM next August   That will be my target triathlon & first 1/2 IM.  Now, all I have to do is wait for October & register, then eventually - train for it   I'm currently not running trying to heal my foot.  I probably shouldn't have run the Chicago tri, but it wasn't optional, in my opinion. 

A novel by Jim would be one I would want to read

2007-09-12 11:33 PM

JBD, I think you can get under 6 hrs for the HIM. You just have to stick to your training plan.

Markz, congrats on finishing the 1/2. You should run the Roughrider Marathon in Bismarck, ND. It's rated 13th best course for qualifying for Boston. My wife & I just helped unpack the finisher medals last night. The medal has Teddy Roosevelt in his Roughrider outfit.

I'm done training for a while. I'm working out in the middle of no-where 1/2 mile from the Maah Daah Hey Trail in the Devil's Pass oil field. I've got a loaner MTB to ride for the next week. It is forcasted to freeze tomorrow night & the leaves have already turned yellow here in the Badlands.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » run4yrlif's group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18