BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CubeFarmGopher's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-05-22 10:47 AM
in reply to: #802942

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: CubeFarmGopher's Group - Closed
Laura:  Really no way to gain bike skills other than riding.  If you can't find a LBS that has "beginner" rides, at least check out your LBS they should be able to give you suggestions about where and when to ride in your area.  I also find that early Saturday morning and early Sunday morning there isn't a great deal of traffic.  Also, riding in a group is safer than riding solo.  So invite some friends if you can't find an already established group to ride with.

2007-05-22 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
Milton, GA
Subject: Missed Training Sessions and Splitting Sessions

Wanted to get the group's view on missed training sessions and splitting.  As you can see from my logs, I have a very compact training schedule.  I focus on swimming the most as it is my weakest area and hardly ever miss a workout. 

On the other hand, my running and cycling tend to be the ones that get dropped or split when I get busy with other things.  My biggest concern is my running.  It usually accounts for the least amount of time in my schedule but I use that time for some quality runs.  I mix them up with speedwork, tempos and LSD.  I hate missing them but often find myself wanting to make up the missed ones by adding into another weeks workout.  Take for example, last week I was suppose to run 2:20 but I only did 1:20.  Granted I did a 5K race (well kinda 5K) I still feel like I didn't do enough. 

Now this week I only have 1:50 of running to do.  What is the down side of adding a couple of :30 runs to this week?  I understand that it will affect recovery but to me it doesn't seem like an hour more is enough to really put a strain on recovery.

My other question is what are the ill effects of breaking up rides?  for example taking an 1:30 ride into 2 separate :45 rides in 2 days?  Right off I would say it could affect endurance but not sure to what extent.   

Thanks everyone!

Diego

2007-05-22 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Take this with a grain of salt.

Re: your running. I guess it depends on if you are trying to improve or if you're ok with maintaining status quo. I think running 2 X per week is fine if you are ok with your current speed and endurance level. I'd make sure that you can do the race distance you are eyeing, though.

Re: Biking. No friggin clue, though I would think that the idea is to get used to a certain amount of time in the saddle. Now if you race distance is 45 min long, then I would think it's ok to split the time up. However, if you are training for a distance that puts you on the bike for an hour and a half, you need to practice doing the hour and a half.

Does that make sense? Of course that is my totally untrained opinion.  I know my coach has me doing long rides of 3-3.5 hours even though my next race is an OLY. Of course, I have a HIM on the schedule, but not until late Sept. My shortest rides that she has me set to do (trainer not withstanding) are in the 20-25 mile range.

2007-05-22 2:58 PM
in reply to: #812202

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Missed Training Sessions and Splitting Sessions

Bike time:
I think it depends on what the target of your bike workout is.  If it is a tempo or interval workout, it might be okay to split that up, if you do an appropriate amount of warmup and cooldown with each workout.  However, if it is your long ride for the week, then I don't think you can really afford to break it up. 

Besides, I read somewhere that when you cross the 45' mark, your body changes its physiology to utilize more fat stores for fuel instead of glycogen in a mechanism to preserve the much needed liver and muscle glycogen.

Run time:
I don't know what your target is for the extra runs.  If they are simply endurance building, then you can probably remove them b/c you aren't going to build much endurance and risk injury.  If they are speed work, you're likely going to prolong your recovery element, but fueling appropriately before and after the speed works should minimize the damage.

Hope that helps.

2007-05-22 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Name: incognito/Brian

Story: I have been an athlete all my life, but as I get older my opportunities for competition are few and far between. I'm 29 years old and the football/softball thing was getting old, I was missing the practice and work that I enjoyed with athletics. I am a high school teacher, track coach, an former lifeguard. My wife talked me into buying bikes last summer as a "together activity". I put all three together and fell in love with triathlons. My problem is "too much" is never enough. I can't go out for a jog, I have to run twenty miles. I can't go for a bike ride, I have go for four hours. The result is that I am often injured and over trained. I looking to do a HIM this year and an IM next year. Ultramarathon and endurance event really get my attention as well.

Family: I am happily married with my first child due July 2. My wife however does not appreciate the sport or my tendency to take things over the top. (ie. our together activity has turned into solo century rides)

Races: My "A" race will be mighty man Montauk HIM sept 30, 2007
I will do local sprints, dus, and road races as they fit in to training plan

I have been part of BT since about January and am looking forward to getting to know the community a little better.
2007-05-23 7:12 AM
in reply to: #812292

User image

Champion
Milton, GA
Subject: RE: Missed Training Sessions and Splitting Sessions

I agree I don't want to break up the long ride if at all possible.  It is more like the 1:30 ride I had for last night that I broke up into 2 sessions.  I will still do the 2:30 ride scheduled for this weekend.

As for the running... its really just personal.  I enjoy running.  It relaxes my mind and helps me find that 'happy place' for a little while.  I guess that why I hate missing them and crave them when I do.  Stuff is like crack to me!  Take last night, I got off work found I had some time before I picked up my son so I changed in my car and took off running.  Took it REALLY easy and slowed down my pace to minimize the potential for injury. Did 45 minutes do anything for me endurance or speed wise, probably not.  It did help me mentally and made me much happier the rest of the evening.

2007-05-23 11:15 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

Alright I've got to ask, I see various terms thrown around a lot and I really don't have a clear understanding of what they mean, so can someone explain:

Tempo (Ride/run)

Interval (Ride/run)

I do know what LSD is, of course all I've got is slow and I guess long is a relative term.  For me a long run seems like from the couch to the frig and back!!!!

As far as riding I do "rides" of various lengths and then I occassionally throw in one leg drills on the trainer.  I will also occassionally go "all out" for a set period of time, then go easy for a period of time and then repeat, until I have done a predetermined time.  (I usually do this on the trainer due to where I live and all the Blue hairs that are incapable of watching out for a psrinting cyclist.)

I also see a bunch of jargon for various swim workouts.  Can anyone fill me in on the most common swim work out jargon?

2007-05-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: #813512

User image

Champion

Here is how I use the terms, as I have learned them:

LSD:  a workout that is intended to increase your base endurance.  Done at an aerobic HR in order to get the body to become more efficient at using fat stores for fuel.

Tempo:  a workout that is done near your upper aerobic HR boundary intended to raise the lactate threshold of your body.  This will allow you to work at a higher effort over a longer period without accumulating the lactose within your muscles which causes the "burning sensation".

Interval:  a workout that is done at high intensities for short periods of time.  The target of this workout is to stress the muscles beyond their limits to induce microtearing.  This will then prompt the body to regenerate the tissues making you stronger and (hopefully) faster.

Don't know if those are the perfectly accurate descriptions.  Let me go pull out my Friel book and see how close I am.

2007-05-24 4:06 AM
in reply to: #813512

New user

Texas
Hello all,

I've been down and out a few days with a wicked sinus infection of some sort - sleeping and taking it easy trying to get over it. As soon as I get a pool pass I will "officially" sign up for my first race.

ASA22 - 2007-05-23 11:15 AM

I also see a bunch of jargon for various swim workouts.  Can anyone fill me in on the most common swim work out jargon?

Here is some general jargon:

WU, CD - warm up, cool down
50 M - distance swam in meters (or yards depending on the pool)
*Most pools will be 25 meters (or yards) long. A lot of times during training your sets are split up. Maybe a 200M warm up (eight slow easy paced laps) Then 4x100 free (in which case you'll swim 4 sets of 4 laps with a break in between) Follow that with a 400 Free (16 non-stop laps) Then 5x50 choice (5 sets of 2 lap sprints with rests in-between, your choice of stroke) Lastly might be a 200M cooldown (which will be 8 easy paced laps)

FREE - Freestyle
BACK - Backstroke
BREAST - Breaststroke
FLY - Butterfly

You could also do sidestroke or elementary backstroke, kicking with a kickboard, whatever...some people just like to mix it up or focus on certain muscle groups.

And you may only know how to swim freestyle or front crawl, which is perfectly adequate. Hopefully I answered your question.

Amber

2007-05-24 5:21 AM
in reply to: #814680

User image

Champion
Milton, GA

In addition to Ambers, you will also see

Pull - Pull buoy.

Kick - kicking only.  with or without a kickboard

left / right - left arm or right arm only

RI - rest interval (my favorite part)

2007-05-25 9:04 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
I'm having a difficult time getting myself going again after a month layoff. I took the time to heal a couple of nagging injuries. Every time I try to get back into training it feels like I'm starting from scratch. I did a half marathon a month and a half ago and now I can't run 2 miles without something hurting.

2007-05-25 2:52 PM
in reply to: #816726

User image

Champion
Milton, GA
sorry that your having a hard time back, Brian.  I saw in your log where your calf started bothering you.  Do you stretch?  I have always had problems with flexibility and tight muscles.  Started out I would be really sore for a while and get terrible muscle cramps.  I started doing yoga a couple nights a week (at home w/DVDs) and found that my flexibility improved and my cramping issues went away.  I know some injuries just take time to run their course and seems like muscle one linger for quite a while.  I know its hard for you to hold back but the best thing is to go at it easy.
2007-05-27 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
The bike went well today no pain. I just need to remind myself to increase the load slowly.
2007-05-31 7:31 AM

User image

Champion
Milton, GA
Subject: Training Volume
So I have been looking at my end of month numbers and I hit my biking goal but missed my swimming and running goal.  Although I am still happy with the training for the month, I get this feeling sometimes that its not enough.  I know its not always about volume but rather quality of training.  Since my first race is still 6 weeks away, how do I get it in my head that I am on track for my race? 
2007-05-31 8:41 AM
in reply to: #823622

User image

Regular
Berkeley Heights
Subject: RE: Training Volume
I think your line about quality of training is important.  As long as you are close to your monthly totals I don't see where you should need to do additional.  Depending on how much more you need want to add could lead to an injury.  I also feel the same way...and this comes from a novice.  I feel like if I do just that little bit more each time then I will do that much better.  That being said (as I continue to ramble), I can't force myself to overdue it because I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and that last thing I want (and I'm sure you don't want) is a set back.  So I'm sure I've made absolutley no sense with what I just wrote, but I thought I would try!
2007-05-31 8:58 AM
in reply to: #823759

User image

Champion
Milton, GA

I get what you are saying... the risk of injury can outweigh the 'reward' of a little extra training. 

What I need to convince myself is of 2 things:

1.  This is my first tri season and I am out to have a good time.  I don't expect to place but I don't expect to be a BOP (except maybe in the swimming b/c I am really slow!), either.

2.  In order to compete I need to stay healthy and injury free.  I have been fortunate enough in my sporting career to not be sidelined by any injuries.  No point in starting now.

2007-05-31 9:04 AM
in reply to: #823798

User image

Regular
Berkeley Heights

I'm sure it's tough.  If you are very competetive by nature, it is hard not to go all out.    Last year I just wanted to finish without stopping and within a certain time frame.  I did both.  Now I just want to shave time. 

"A wise man once said something very important...but I wasn't listening."

2007-05-31 9:05 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
I wish I could say the same. I like to include time trials here and there in my workout plans. Lets me see progress over the course of a season. Something like a: 1000m swim, 20 mile ride, and a 5k. I look foward to them like my own little mimi-races against my last time.
2007-06-01 12:44 PM
in reply to: #823818

User image

Champion
Milton, GA

yeah, I would like to try that.  Pool hours are kind of weird on the weekends here and its not the safest place to ride.  Will have to find a place to swim   I would really have to be open water ocean but I need to build up to that.

Anyway, I have been reading Friel's triathlon training bible and am feeling a little better about my training. 

2007-06-05 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Milton, GA

So I trust that everyone has been so busy training that they have had no time to post here, right??!!  Yeah, not so much. 

I did find this GREAT 24 hour weight-loss program this past weekend!  No need to exercise and you can eat WHATEVER you want.  I think I am going to market it.  All you need to purchase is a child in daycare. 

As a free trial offer, I have waived the child fee.  Just ask Suzanne.  She got into the program for free!!!

Here is how the program works...  Get the stomach bug from the petri dish daycare, and leave the rest up to mother nature!  Bonus:  You get to lay on the couch ALL DAY LONG!!

Sounds great, doesn't it?

Anyway... hope everyone is doing well.  Suzanne- Feel better soon!

Edited by LowcountryTRI 2007-06-05 10:08 AM
2007-06-05 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Lay on the couch all day? Hardly, I was running back and forth between the bed and the bathroom. And I had to go outside to fish an umbrella out of the pool! And I took the trash out after I cleaned the bathroom for the 3rd time. Don't want hubbie getting sick!

2007-06-05 10:54 AM
in reply to: #830266

User image

Champion
LowcountryTRI - 2007-06-05 10:49 AM

So I trust that everyone has been so busy training that they have had no time to post here, right??!!  Yeah, not so much. 

I did find this GREAT 24 hour weight-loss program this past weekend!  No need to exercise and you can eat WHATEVER you want.  I think I am going to market it.  All you need to purchase is a child in daycare. 

As a free trial offer, I have waived the child fee.  Just ask Suzanne.  She got into the program for free!!!

Here is how the program works...  Get the stomach bug from the petri dish daycare, and leave the rest up to mother nature!  Bonus:  You get to lay on the couch ALL DAY LONG!!

Ooh.  Can I get a bonus if I purchase the miracle diet the week before a race? 

2007-06-05 10:56 AM
in reply to: #830273

User image

Champion

SuzanneS - 2007-06-05 10:55 AM Lay on the couch all day? Hardly, I was running back and forth between the bed and the bathroom. And I had to go outside to fish an umbrella out of the pool! And I took the trash out after I cleaned the bathroom for the 3rd time. Don't want hubbie getting sick!

Whoa.  Whoa.  Whoa.

You have a POOL?! 

Why take the umbrella OUT of the pool?  Maybe the pool water was warm and wanted a little shade. 

2007-06-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: #830422

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
CubeFarmGopher - 2007-06-05 11:54 AM
LowcountryTRI - 2007-06-05 10:49 AM

Ooh.  Can I get a bonus if I purchase the miracle diet the week before a race? 

As I RECALL Shaun you did that diet THE DAY BEFORE ST. ANTHONYS...that was fun wasn't it????  Geez o pete your memory is short

2007-06-05 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Berkeley Heights
Does this come in 1, 3, 5 and 1 week plans?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CubeFarmGopher's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 5