of 13

2007-05-16 9:07 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Subject: jszat's group- closed
NAME: jszat/Joe
STORY:
34 year old male about 2 years into triathlon.  Very active in soccer, basketball and other sports in my early day, marriage, fatherhood, work and starting my own business on the side as well as a rough first marathon took me out of multisport for a few years.  News of twins on the way, being sick of that little extra weight and a desire to do an Ironman someday pushed me into the lifestyle and the rest as they say is history.  Signed up for first IM (Moo) and hoping to keep active with other races, including hoping to dabble in more century rides and maybe ultras down the road.  While ambitions are high, I generally have a strong desire to help others of all backgrounds and embrace training as not only a key to physical health, but a key component to mental health.  Ommmm....!!!   Races include a handful of sprints, one HIM and two marys.  Looking to add vastly to the resume at all distances going forward.
FAMILY STATUS: Married, 4 daughters ages 5,4 and 22 month old twins
CURRENT TRAINING: currently on BT beginner Ironman program with some modifications in intensity
LAST YEAR'S RACES: Lake Mills sprint tri, Lake Geneva Half Ironman, Camp Whitcomb Mason sprint, Las Vegas marathon
2007 RACES:  Lake Mills sprint, High Cliff Half Iron, Door County Olympic, IM Wisconsin
WEIGHTLOSS: Have lost about 15 pounds since starting 2 years ago and expect another 5-10 via Ironman training. 

Edited by jszat 2007-05-18 10:29 AM

2007-05-17 2:19 PM
in reply to: #803897

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: jszat's group- open

Hey Joe! I'd like to join your group if you'll have me

I'm Christie- 27 years old, married to a wonderful guy, stay home mom to 3 children, full-time babysit 2 more.

How I got the bug- married an avid cyclist, and started going on rides with him. First 3 miles, then 8.5, then 11.5....then it happened- an 8.5 mile mountain bike course. It was a challenge to me both mentally and physically, but conquering it gave me the biggest rush and a great sense of satisfaction. After that I got the hair brained idea that doing triathlons would also be a great challenge/rush, and a wonderful way to be healthy.

Short term goals: -conquor my bad swimming habbits and learn to be comfortable underwater without a nose plug

-swim, bike, or run at least 3 times a week

Long term goals: - complete a sprint triathlon July 22.

Longer term goals- rule the world :-)

Current training program- I take whatever I can get whenever I can get it.

Current diet- healthy. I'm 5'8", somewhat muscular 115 lbs. I'm a vegetarian, eat mostly whole grains, and have completely dropped my soda habbit and am trying to take up water instead.

That's me in a nutshell! I'm really looking forward to picking up my training pace a bit and getting all I can from this mentoring program!

2007-05-17 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Greetings, Joe. I would like to join your group.

My name is Ken. I live in North Texas; I'm 40 with 4 kids (18, 7, 5, &4). I've been running for 1 year now and started triathlon training as cross training for running. I started running to control my blood pressure and found I really enjoy it. The additional strengthening the biking, swimming and core work gives me has eliminated IT band pain that severely limited my distance in the runs. I can now run >10 miles pain free.

I recently completed my first swim class. I grew up swimming but not correctly or competitively. Since then, I'm able to swim laps and am trying to increase my distance.

I also recently upgraded my bike from a 1983 Raleigh (35# tank) to a 1993 Cannondale (22# red rocket) with clipless pedals. I use a trainer during the week day rides and ride outside on the weekend.

My goal is to complete Sprint Tri's this year and to continue to have fun. At this point, I have not participated in any. The one I was signed up for last month was cancelled. I feel confident I can complete one, but it will probably be slow and painful.
2007-05-17 2:40 PM

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
Hey Joe, I’d like to join your group.

I’m Jason, approaching 30, and from the Madison, WI area.

I was a good athlete in my teens, lettering in 4 sports, but got lazy after HS and went from 200-210 with single-digit bodyfat to 240 and flabby by 21. I bettered my diet and hovered around 220 until May of ‘05 when I took up running. I quickly cut to 210 and my old thirst for competition kicked back in and I started running 5Ks. In ’06 I started in multisport, competing in 2 sprints and a duathlon. I’ve got a duathlon under my belt already in ‘07, and I’m planning on doing at least 3 sprints, as well as anything else that grabs my interest (thinking about a TT, a half mary, and maybe a MTB endurance event) with the first tri just around the corner (6/3). I’m still technically a Clydesdale, at about 200 lbs, but I’m right around or under 10% BF now and I’ve stopped competing in the Clydesdale division as motivation to be competitive. I don’t really care so much about physique any more as much as I do about just getting faster/better/fitter. I’ve raced in dozens of road races (4 this year already), and don’t really consider myself a beginner at at this point, but I’m a long ways from being content to call myself a “veteran”.

What I’m looking for is a support mechanism, some occasional training advice, and maybe even some training buddies. My wife is great support, and even takes a strong interest in running herself, but with a 2nd child on the way, I suspect I’m going to have to start separating home and sport a little bit, especially since I would like to take it to the next level.

I don’t currently use the BT log, but I log religiously elsewhere. Doing both wouldn’t be too painful if it would help. But in short, I’m roughly logging 15-20 miles running, 40-50 miles on the bike, and 1200-1500 yards in the water each week. I run a 24-25:00 5K, I average 19-20 MPH on the bike in sprints, and I am an absolutely terrible swimmer.
2007-05-17 4:06 PM
in reply to: #805250

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
dylanslovey - 2007-05-17 2:19 PM

Hey Joe! I'd like to join your group if you'll have me

I'm Christie- 27 years old, married to a wonderful guy, stay home mom to 3 children, full-time babysit 2 more.

How I got the bug- married an avid cyclist, and started going on rides with him. First 3 miles, then 8.5, then 11.5....then it happened- an 8.5 mile mountain bike course. It was a challenge to me both mentally and physically, but conquering it gave me the biggest rush and a great sense of satisfaction. After that I got the hair brained idea that doing triathlons would also be a great challenge/rush, and a wonderful way to be healthy.

Short term goals: -conquor my bad swimming habbits and learn to be comfortable underwater without a nose plug

-swim, bike, or run at least 3 times a week

Long term goals: - complete a sprint triathlon July 22.

Longer term goals- rule the world :-)

Current training program- I take whatever I can get whenever I can get it.

Current diet- healthy. I'm 5'8", somewhat muscular 115 lbs. I'm a vegetarian, eat mostly whole grains, and have completely dropped my soda habbit and am trying to take up water instead.

That's me in a nutshell! I'm really looking forward to picking up my training pace a bit and getting all I can from this mentoring program!

Welcome aboard Christie.  You may end up my arch nemesis with the ruling the world thing though.  We cant both do it ya know

2007-05-17 4:08 PM
in reply to: #805257

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

KenD - 2007-05-17 2:24 PM Greetings, Joe. I would like to join your group. My name is Ken. I live in North Texas; I'm 40 with 4 kids (18, 7, 5, &4). I've been running for 1 year now and started triathlon training as cross training for running. I started running to control my blood pressure and found I really enjoy it. The additional strengthening the biking, swimming and core work gives me has eliminated IT band pain that severely limited my distance in the runs. I can now run >10 miles pain free. I recently completed my first swim class. I grew up swimming but not correctly or competitively. Since then, I'm able to swim laps and am trying to increase my distance. I also recently upgraded my bike from a 1983 Raleigh (35# tank) to a 1993 Cannondale (22# red rocket) with clipless pedals. I use a trainer during the week day rides and ride outside on the weekend. My goal is to complete Sprint Tri's this year and to continue to have fun. At this point, I have not participated in any. The one I was signed up for last month was cancelled. I feel confident I can complete one, but it will probably be slow and painful.

Oh!  Is it a Raleign Technium?  My parents still have my old one in the garage and have been thinking about dusting er off for kicks and as a rainy training bike.  Welcome aboard Ken!

2007-05-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: #805303

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

stainofmind - 2007-05-17 2:40 PM Hey Joe, I’d like to join your group. I’m Jason, approaching 30, and from the Madison, WI area. I was a good athlete in my teens, lettering in 4 sports, but got lazy after HS and went from 200-210 with single-digit bodyfat to 240 and flabby by 21. I bettered my diet and hovered around 220 until May of ‘05 when I took up running. I quickly cut to 210 and my old thirst for competition kicked back in and I started running 5Ks. In ’06 I started in multisport, competing in 2 sprints and a duathlon. I’ve got a duathlon under my belt already in ‘07, and I’m planning on doing at least 3 sprints, as well as anything else that grabs my interest (thinking about a TT, a half mary, and maybe a MTB endurance event) with the first tri just around the corner (6/3). I’m still technically a Clydesdale, at about 200 lbs, but I’m right around or under 10% BF now and I’ve stopped competing in the Clydesdale division as motivation to be competitive. I don’t really care so much about physique any more as much as I do about just getting faster/better/fitter. I’ve raced in dozens of road races (4 this year already), and don’t really consider myself a beginner at at this point, but I’m a long ways from being content to call myself a “veteran”. What I’m looking for is a support mechanism, some occasional training advice, and maybe even some training buddies. My wife is great support, and even takes a strong interest in running herself, but with a 2nd child on the way, I suspect I’m going to have to start separating home and sport a little bit, especially since I would like to take it to the next level. I don’t currently use the BT log, but I log religiously elsewhere. Doing both wouldn’t be too painful if it would help. But in short, I’m roughly logging 15-20 miles running, 40-50 miles on the bike, and 1200-1500 yards in the water each week. I run a 24-25:00 5K, I average 19-20 MPH on the bike in sprints, and I am an absolutely terrible swimmer.

Hi Jason!  I would really encourage you to use the logs as it helps myself and the others in the group see what you are up to and from a support mechanism, that has helped me tons.  Being in Madison, there will be a lot of opportunities to train with me and some of the other Donkeys (my BT born tri group) as we gear up for IM Wisconsin in September.  Heading out next Friday as a matter of fact.  Welcome aboard!

2007-05-18 9:00 AM
in reply to: #805497

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
jszat - 2007-05-17 4:10 PM

Hi Jason! I would really encourage you to use the logs as it helps myself and the others in the group see what you are up to and from a support mechanism, that has helped me tons. Being in Madison, there will be a lot of opportunities to train with me and some of the other Donkeys (my BT born tri group) as we gear up for IM Wisconsin in September. Heading out next Friday as a matter of fact. Welcome aboard!

Anytime you need some Madison hospitality, info on the town, places to eat, etc., just let me know. I've been here for 30 years (though I've more recently fled to the burbs). I've even been a 3-time spectator at IM WI. I have several friends that have done it now.
2007-05-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: #805488

User image

Veteran
jszat - 2007-05-17 4:06 PM

Welcome aboard Christie. You may end up my arch nemesis with the ruling the world thing though. We cant both do it ya know

Is Co-ruler an option? :D

2007-05-18 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Hi, Joe and all - May I join your group?

My name is Kristin, and I'm training for my first two (sprint distance) tris. I also managed to back into the Grandma's Half Marathon last week (with only 5 weeks to get my distance up, aack!), so am doing a little bit of distance running work as well. I've been training since last fall, and it is definitely a way of life for me (again). I've been an active person/athlete my whole life - tennis, volleyball, rock climbing, etc. This has been my first foray into endurance athletics and multisport, and it feels like home to me.

I'm in northern MN, I work from home 3 days a week telecommuting and in office one day for a company in Duluth, MN. I love my job - and it's given me the flexibility to finally incorporate training without feeling like I'm unbalancing some other area of my life.

I am happily married to a loving guy who kind of wonders what in the world his wife has gotten into this time. We have 3 great kids - ages 8, 4, and 2. Part of why this is important to me is showing them that it should be important to them, too.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all better!
2007-05-18 10:15 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Hey Joe,

I am hoping for the possibility of joining a group. I'm Justin, 27, married, no kids. I live and train in the suburbs of Columbus. I've been happily married for almost 4 years 08/01.

This is not my first venture into the world of triathlons. I found BT in 2005 when I first got into the sport by making a New Year's Resolution and a goal. That resolution was to get in shape and do a triathlon or marathon. I finished 2 tris MOP that year in the Ohio area (I have the race performances outlined here at BT). In 2006, work kept me out of the gym and out of the sport but I look to make a come back. I have been actively training to get back in shape since December... eventhough I did not log it. I started back to logging some in April and have been really proactive about logging everything this month. In 2007, I plan on 3 races, the goal is finishing my first Olympic (B) Wendy's International Sprint, June 10 (A) Columbus International Sprint, July 22 (A) Portage Lakes Olympic, September 16. I have developed my plan to achieve that goal. I would really like someone looking over my shoulder... giving me suggestionson how to train smarter... acting as a sounding board for my ideas about training... and a forum to share what I have learned about the sport as well. I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully having the chance to train with your group.

Kindest Regards,
Justin C.

2007-05-18 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hi Joe,

I'd like to join your group.

I'm a newbie, just turned 40, married with one son, 2 1/2. I am training with the Chicago TNT. Originally I was to do the St. Anthony's in April but got diverticulitis and had to back out. Now my goal is the Chicago Triathlon in August.

I am terrible swimmer so that is my biggest fear/weakness/dread. I just bought a used GT road bike because my Target brand mountain bike weighed a ton. I can hold my own on the bike. The run is still challenging. At one time I could run a sub 8:00 minute mile but now I gained a few more minutes along with about 50 pounds since I have been married. I have lost about 15 pounds and would like to get under 200 (215 or so now).

TNT is great but pretty much a young kid's group. Wish I were that.

Look forward to learning more.

Ted
2007-05-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: #806295

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

kanders - 2007-05-18 9:48 AM Hi, Joe and all - May I join your group? My name is Kristin, and I'm training for my first two (sprint distance) tris. I also managed to back into the Grandma's Half Marathon last week (with only 5 weeks to get my distance up, aack!), so am doing a little bit of distance running work as well. I've been training since last fall, and it is definitely a way of life for me (again). I've been an active person/athlete my whole life - tennis, volleyball, rock climbing, etc. This has been my first foray into endurance athletics and multisport, and it feels like home to me. I'm in northern MN, I work from home 3 days a week telecommuting and in office one day for a company in Duluth, MN. I love my job - and it's given me the flexibility to finally incorporate training without feeling like I'm unbalancing some other area of my life. I am happily married to a loving guy who kind of wonders what in the world his wife has gotten into this time. We have 3 great kids - ages 8, 4, and 2. Part of why this is important to me is showing them that it should be important to them, too. Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Welcome to the gang Kristin!

2007-05-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: #806368

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-05-18 10:15 AM Hey Joe, I am hoping for the possibility of joining a group. I'm Justin, 27, married, no kids. I live and train in the suburbs of Columbus. I've been happily married for almost 4 years 08/01. This is not my first venture into the world of triathlons. I found BT in 2005 when I first got into the sport by making a New Year's Resolution and a goal. That resolution was to get in shape and do a triathlon or marathon. I finished 2 tris MOP that year in the Ohio area (I have the race performances outlined here at BT). In 2006, work kept me out of the gym and out of the sport but I look to make a come back. I have been actively training to get back in shape since December... eventhough I did not log it. I started back to logging some in April and have been really proactive about logging everything this month. In 2007, I plan on 3 races, the goal is finishing my first Olympic (B) Wendy's International Sprint, June 10 (A) Columbus International Sprint, July 22 (A) Portage Lakes Olympic, September 16. I have developed my plan to achieve that goal. I would really like someone looking over my shoulder... giving me suggestionson how to train smarter... acting as a sounding board for my ideas about training... and a forum to share what I have learned about the sport as well. I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully having the chance to train with your group. Kindest Regards, Justin C.

Welcome aboard Justin!!

2007-05-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: #806369

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

TeddieMao - 2007-05-18 10:15 AM Hi Joe, I'd like to join your group. I'm a newbie, just turned 40, married with one son, 2 1/2. I am training with the Chicago TNT. Originally I was to do the St. Anthony's in April but got diverticulitis and had to back out. Now my goal is the Chicago Triathlon in August. I am terrible swimmer so that is my biggest fear/weakness/dread. I just bought a used GT road bike because my Target brand mountain bike weighed a ton. I can hold my own on the bike. The run is still challenging. At one time I could run a sub 8:00 minute mile but now I gained a few more minutes along with about 50 pounds since I have been married. I have lost about 15 pounds and would like to get under 200 (215 or so now). TNT is great but pretty much a young kid's group. Wish I were that. Look forward to learning more. Ted

Hi Teddie!  I can sympathize on the weight gain with the whole sympathy pregancy thang!  Welcome to the gang!

2007-05-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: #806182

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
stainofmind - 2007-05-18 9:00 AM
jszat - 2007-05-17 4:10 PM

Hi Jason! I would really encourage you to use the logs as it helps myself and the others in the group see what you are up to and from a support mechanism, that has helped me tons. Being in Madison, there will be a lot of opportunities to train with me and some of the other Donkeys (my BT born tri group) as we gear up for IM Wisconsin in September. Heading out next Friday as a matter of fact. Welcome aboard!

Anytime you need some Madison hospitality, info on the town, places to eat, etc., just let me know. I've been here for 30 years (though I've more recently fled to the burbs). I've even been a 3-time spectator at IM WI. I have several friends that have done it now.

Looks like this guy is hitting Mad town next week to ride a loop of the MOO course.  First of many I am sure.

2007-05-18 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: jszat's group- closed
Since it is closed... What do we do now Joe?

Here is some Admin work for us:
jszat/Joe (fearless leader/demi-god ) : 2 Sprint, 1 HIM, 1 Mary
dylanslovey/Christine: Sundrop Triathlon July 22
KenD/Ken: 1 Sprint?, 1 Mary?
stainofmind/Jason: 1 du (done), 3 Sprints?, HMary?, MTB?
kanders/Kristin: 2 Sprint, 1 HMary
JChristoff/Justin: 2 Sprint, 1 Oly
TeddieMao:Ted: 1 Sprint

Grand Total: 1 du (done), 12 Sprints?, 1 Oly, 2 HMary?, 1 HIM, 2 Mary?

Edited by JChristoff 2007-05-18 12:37 PM
2007-05-18 1:08 PM
in reply to: #806577

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-05-18 11:11 AM Since it is closed... What do we do now Joe? Here is some Admin work for us: jszat/Joe (fearless leader/demi-god ) : 2 Sprint, 1 HIM, 1 Mary dylanslovey/Christine: Sundrop Triathlon July 22 KenD/Ken: 1 Sprint?, 1 Mary? stainofmind/Jason: 1 du (done), 3 Sprints?, HMary?, MTB? kanders/Kristin: 2 Sprint, 1 HMary JChristoff/Justin: 2 Sprint, 1 Oly TeddieMao:Ted: 1 Sprint Grand Total: 1 du (done), 12 Sprints?, 1 Oly, 2 HMary?, 1 HIM, 2 Mary?

Now we train dammit!!   Actually, I will write a long winded philosophical email on hopes and expecations for the group later today or over the weekend.  A few things off the bat though:

-I know lots but dont know it all.  If you have any input to something that someone asks on this thread or on inspires, by all means give in your two cents.  I see myself as working with the whole group and the group helping us all become better triathletes (and perhaps just better folks in general too somehow    )

-I joke around a lot.  I find humor helps with the many pitfalls of this sport.  Wearing a speedoesque swimsuit for the first time in the pool?  Falling over in clipless pedals?  Epic run and race blow ups?  Been there, done that.  I see training and racing as a priveledge that gives the opportunity for future growth athletically, from a health standpoint and in enriching relationships with family (i.e. giving me the outlet for stress and physical energy to raise 4 daughters!)  Bottom line- this should be fun.  Its not always going to feel good, but in the end, if it aint fun, why do it?

-Get to know BT!  It is an excellent resource outside of what I may say.  I would not be toeing the line for an Ironman if I did not have the forums here, the inspires I have from folks I have checking my blogs and vice versa and much more.  I would recommend adding all in your group and keeping tabs on each other.  It can be a lonely sport at times and seeing what others are going through helps on the rough days or may change your perspective on how to do things.  If you need help with adding folks in the group to your friends list on your blog, I can post a how to for ya.  Keep your workouts and blogs up to date too.  It helps analyze how and why things happen.  I had a blow up run on a nutrition experiment and looked back at other BDFUs (blown da f!#$ ups) in the past and have noticed a trend I might have not seen without logging details.  Again, it also helps others keep tabs on and root for ya!

Ok, so I guess I went on and blathered anyway.  Any quetions, feel free to use this thread, inspires and/or private messaging.  More later...

2007-05-18 1:10 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Current training non-plan. Not following a real training plan yet.
Monday - AM - Easy run 3-4 miles; Core work
Monday - PM - swim laps with drills using whatever drills I happen to be reading about that day

Tuesday - AM - bicycle on trainer ~45 min with intervals; Core work
Tuesday - PM - swim laps with drills using whatever drills I happen to be reading about that day

Wednesday - AM
Wednesday - PM- swim laps with drills using whatever drills I happen to be reading about that day

Thursday - AM - Run 3-4 miles hills or tempos; Core work
Thursday - PM - swim laps depending on if I missed swimming other day or family needs

Friday - AM - bike ~35-45 mins high RPMs; Core work
Friday - PM

Saturday - AM - long slow run

Sunday - AM - long bike ride
2007-05-18 1:13 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Oh yeah, I should warn everyone that fellow Donkeys (my tri compadres, many from BT) will probably eventually jump in on inspires and what not.  Good fun!
2007-05-18 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Personal Bests:

Swimming: longest 1200 yds in pool NOT continous
Swimming: fastest 25 yds 24 seconds
Swimming: 25 yd Golf 16 strokes 24 seconds

Biking: distance 18 miles
Biking: speed 34 mph

Running: distance 13.1 miles
Running: speed 25:10 5K

2007-05-18 3:39 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

You should all know that Joe sweats.  A lot.  Like, a rediculous amount.  Just call him JSweat.

DONKEY OUT!

2007-05-19 8:23 AM
in reply to: #807300

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
PeterAK - 2007-05-18 4:39 PM

You should all know that Joe sweats.  A lot.  Like, a rediculous amount.  Just call him JSweat.

DONKEY OUT!

Well, Good thing this is all in cyber space where we really don't know or see if he is sweating or how profusely. But thanks for the update. I will definately keep that in mind going forward and store it away for future reference.

Hope everyone has a good workout today. My swim was gross the bike was okay. Now I am off to breakfast with the wifey if I can pry her out of bed. Then to my brother's house to paint, put up a privacy fence and possibly scrub the muck out of his garage and paint the floor. Should be a jam packed fun day all around. Oh yeah... Sunday I get to drive to my sister-in-laws. No rest for the weary.

Edited by JChristoff 2007-05-19 8:26 AM
2007-05-19 8:57 AM
in reply to: #807300

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
PeterAK - 2007-05-18 3:39 PM

You should all know that Joe sweats. A lot. Like, a rediculous amount. Just call him JSweat.

DONKEY OUT!

I told you some of the Donkeys might stop by.  And yes, I sweat tons which is making me work hard on honing in the hydration side of long course tris. 

2007-05-20 6:17 PM
in reply to: #806549

Veteran
Sun Prairie, WI
jszat - 2007-05-18 11:03 AM

Looks like this guy is hitting Mad town next week to ride a loop of the MOO course. First of many I am sure.

Just for a day, or are you staying over?

I've been wanting to try a loop out there, but don't know if I should (with a race on the 3rd), or if I'm fast enough to hang with anyone.

Edited by stainofmind 2007-05-20 6:23 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jszat's group- closed Rss Feed  

of 13