of 13

2007-09-22 2:02 PM
in reply to: #974113

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: jszat's group- closed
jszat - 2007-09-21 12:12 PM
Hope you feel better soon.  I am dreading the winter as it means who's sick with what today pretty much.  With four kids, they bring home everything and pass it on.

Thanks Joe. I know what you mean. My wife has 25-30 kids per class by 4 so that's 100-120 germed up kids every week day. I usually don't get sick but if I get hit it is usually hard and in the first couple of weeks she is back to school.

2007-09-26 12:53 PM
in reply to: #803897

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Alright... Here is my beginning plan for the off season. It will be named "Find My Fast." I want to hear your thoughts and suggestions as well

Swim.
I know that I am an okay swimmer. I know I can be faster but it is currently my strength. So I will be in maintain mode and probably will swim once to twice a week. Once the main training season starts (Feb/Mar), I will get back in the water more often and start building again. Overall, I am not worried about swimming.

Running.
I will be focusing on this once I am off my cold. I plan on running 27-40 miles a week. The first 2-3 weeks will be a ramp in order for my body used to the increased distance. The max this season per week was 16 so it is a pretty heavy jump. Here is my plan

Sunday: Long run (1:30 - 2:00) = 10-13 miles
Monday: rest day (swim or lift)
Tuesday: Short with Accels (:40 - :50) = 4-6 miles
Wednesday: Medium (:50 - 1:00) = 6-8 miles
Thursday: Short with Accels (:40 - :50) = 4-6 miles
Friday: rest day (swim or lift)
Saturday: Super short recovery(:30 - :40) = 3 - 4 miles

27 miles (250 min) - 37 miles (320 min)

I have thoughts on running a mary in April but don't know yet. I want to see how my body responds to running before I commit capital.

Biking.
This is at the end of off-season. I have no plan. It really depends on if I get a bike trainer for Christmas. Anybody have any resources? Thoughts?
2007-09-26 1:02 PM
in reply to: #980003

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-09-26 12:53 PM Alright... Here is my beginning plan for the off season. It will be named "Find My Fast." I want to hear your thoughts and suggestions as well Swim. I know that I am an okay swimmer. I know I can be faster but it is currently my strength. So I will be in maintain mode and probably will swim once to twice a week. Once the main training season starts (Feb/Mar), I will get back in the water more often and start building again. Overall, I am not worried about swimming. Running. I will be focusing on this once I am off my cold. I plan on running 27-40 miles a week. The first 2-3 weeks will be a ramp in order for my body used to the increased distance. The max this season per week was 16 so it is a pretty heavy jump. Here is my plan Sunday: Long run (1:30 - 2:00) = 10-13 miles Monday: rest day (swim or lift) Tuesday: Short with Accels (:40 - :50) = 4-6 miles Wednesday: Medium (:50 - 1:00) = 6-8 miles Thursday: Short with Accels (:40 - :50) = 4-6 miles Friday: rest day (swim or lift) Saturday: Super short recovery(:30 - :40) = 3 - 4 miles 27 miles (250 min) - 37 miles (320 min) I have thoughts on running a mary in April but don't know yet. I want to see how my body responds to running before I commit capital. Biking. This is at the end of off-season. I have no plan. It really depends on if I get a bike trainer for Christmas. Anybody have any resources? Thoughts?

You probably wont want to hear this, but the secret to speed will be just consistent lower intensity stuff.  I think the volume and the speed stuff 2x a week is asking for potential injury unless you feel you are an advanced enough runner to pull it off.  Personally, I will probably throw in tempo 1 or 2 times a week tops in the off season, primarily just to keep it interesting.  What is the top distance you hope to do next year?  Your distances might be overkill if you are throwing in some bike stuff IMO. 

My opinion on the biking is that if you can get a trainer and simply churn out mileage watching a movie or something you will get the best aerobic gains (and ones that translate to other sports without chopping up your legs so much).  Spin class helped work wonders for me in the early days and though will be used less, will still be in the cards to keep things interesting.  Little more info on goals for next year please.  Dunno, maybe it would help you and me to kinda give a feel of where my focus will be?

2007-09-26 1:06 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
As written, I would personally nix one of the short run with accels.  If you are feeling randy, you can mix in some strides in the medium or even long run but I think you still need to get some base under you before you touch the speed stuff with the ramp up.  For my ramp up to Vegas mary last fall, I did almost zero speed work for a month or two if memory serves correct.  You should also try and work a three week build, one week recover and cut back vol a bit to allow for some rest.
2007-09-26 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
This is why I posted it. Thanks Joe

Goals for next year are still basic. Beginning of the season possibly a mary(April) and by the end of the season next year I want to do a HIM. Thoughts for durring the season are a sprint (maybe two) and a couple Olys.

I see what you mean with the accels two days a week and understand the concern.

I do not think that I have a great base as a runner but I am definately not starting from scratch. Yeah I could probably go out and do a 10-13 mile run now (well, when healthy) but it would probably require a bit of recovery. I just want to get a good build plan organized.
2007-09-26 1:20 PM
in reply to: #980027

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
jszat - 2007-09-26 2:06 PM

You should also try and work a three week build, one week recover and cut back vol a bit to allow for some rest.

Totally agreed and that is how I built my plan for last season. The plan above was just a first draft.

2007-09-26 1:21 PM
in reply to: #980046

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL

JChristoff - 2007-09-26 1:17 PM This is why I posted it. Thanks Joe Goals for next year are still basic. Beginning of the season possibly a mary(April) and by the end of the season next year I want to do a HIM. Thoughts for durring the season are a sprint (maybe two) and a couple Olys. I see what you mean with the accels two days a week and understand the concern. I do not think that I have a great base as a runner but I am definately not starting from scratch. Yeah I could probably go out and do a 10-13 mile run now (well, when healthy) but it would probably require a bit of recovery. I just want to get a good build plan organized.

I have a pretty strong running background but committed to trying lower HR, longer stuff with the limited speedwork a lot of last year.  With a 5k PR in a sprint and sub 40 in my first oly, I think its proof you dont need to necessarily do speed work to get fast.  I used to push and push a lot, get injured, take a few weeks to heal and repeat.  No major injuries with big vol increase this year and faster times.  Whats not to like about that?  Just stay consistent with it.  Recovery is an important part of the equation too so make sure you are eating after your workouts for better bouncing back for the next workout.

2007-09-26 1:28 PM
in reply to: #980056

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
jszat - 2007-09-26 2:21 PM

Recovery is an important part of the equation too so make sure you are eating after your workouts for better bouncing back for the next workout.

A usually pound a protein shake right after my workouts and have seen the benefits. It is probably been one of the best things I have done in training.

So lets say I cut out the accels and just worry about the distance. What are your thoughts on that?
2007-09-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: #980072

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
JChristoff - 2007-09-26 1:28 PM
jszat - 2007-09-26 2:21 PM Recovery is an important part of the equation too so make sure you are eating after your workouts for better bouncing back for the next workout.

A usually pound a protein shake right after my workouts and have seen the benefits. It is probably been one of the best things I have done in training. So lets say I cut out the accels and just worry about the distance. What are your thoughts on that?

I think the distance might be too high once you get around the 30-35 level at this point.  Gradually build up to that, see how your body responds and then stay there for a while to let your body get used to the distance.  It helps me running outside in the winter cuz ya usually cant go anywhere too fast!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jszat's group- closed Rss Feed  

of 13