BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-05-17 8:17 AM

User image

Subject: triOK's Group - CLOSED
NAME: triOK / Robyn
STORY: Hello! 
My name is Robyn and this is my second season as a triathlete.  I started training last April and have since made it a part of my life.  I am currently training for my first half-Ironman, Buffalo Springs, in June.  I have a number of races on the books, but the half is my main training focus right now.  I hope to get through it all strong and injury free so that I can take on IMFL next year.  In addition to a busy training schedule, I work full-time as a chemist for a large company, and I am studying public health in grad school as well.  I have a wonderful husband and 2 gorgeous puppy dogs that love to double as running partners.

FAMILY STATUS: married and 3 4-legged kids (2 dogs and a cat

CURRENT TRAINING: I am training for Buffalo Springs 70.3 right now, but I since I love to race, I have lots of stuff coming up. I have a metric century and 2 olympic distance tri's all within the next month.  I am also planning on doing the Redman half Iron in September.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:  Last year, I competed in the Oklahoma City SuperSprint and the Concreteman Olympic triathlons, and the Tinman and the Chris Brown Memorial duathlons.  I also completed the Hotter N' Hell century and the Tulsa Tough metric century bike rides, and an assortment of local mountain bike races.  I also ran the Route 66, my first marathon. 

2007 RACES:  Done:  Jeff Myers Challenge (indoor tri) - January 19, Playtri Olympic - April 22, Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon - April 29, Tour de Tulsa metric century (62 mile bike ride) - May 5

Planned:  Tulsa Tough metric century - June 2, Tulsa Tri (Oly) - June 10, Buffalo Springs 70.3 (Half-Iron) - June 24, Hotter n' Hell Hundred (100 mile bike ride), Redman Half-Iron - September 23, Fall/winter marathon but I haven't chosen one yet.

Edited by triOK 2007-06-04 1:33 PM

2007-05-19 9:44 PM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - OPEN
Robyn,

Can I still hang out with you.

aaron
2007-05-20 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Hi-
I would like to have a mentor for this...I am very new as a participant in the world of triathlons. My father was a triathlete until he broke his neck when I was 19, so I was pretty much raised around it. I have been a support crew, race volunteer, and race director, but I have never done a triathlon! I rowed crew in college, and then life happened....somehow I am 38, married, mother of 2 little boys (19 mo and 4 1/2) and trying to get back into shape. My sister and I are both signed up for the Danskin Tri in August, and I would love to beat her--she's a great runner, so I will have to rely on the swim and bike to gain some time. I am an 'ok' runner, at least I think so, for someone who could barely walk 30 minutes a year ago--I can do a pretty regular 9 min mile. I have dropped about 43 +/- pounds in the past year, and would like to drop about 20 more before the tri. I have never been a small person, so I will be dealing with lots of gravity issues--lots of muscle from my past life as an athlete.

Currently I am running 4-5 x/week about 30-40 minutes, and biking with one or two kids in the Burley trailer for about 30-50 min about 1-2 x/week. I live near Lake Sammamish in Washington State, and once the lake warms up at the end of June, I swim almost every day for 20-30 min (guess) since my inlaws have a beach house there. (Yes, I am lucky!!)

Thanks for your support! I look forward to having a real person to be accountable to......
Leslie
2007-05-20 10:37 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Can I join this group?? please!

My name is Erin. I'm currently married and both my husband and I are in school working on our masters. No kids, just a dog and and two birds.

I started training a couple weeks ago and started a 20 week training program last week. My goal is to just finish a sprint around October. I decided to start training after many failed attempts at consistant workouts at a local gym. Also, my husband is currently training for the half-ironman at buffalo springs as well and I've kinda caught the bug I guess you can say. I've been despirately begging friends to join me so that I could have a workout partner, but everyone thinks I'm crazy, so looks like I'm on my own and any extra support would be GREAT!
2007-05-21 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Robyn, I want in again.

For everyone else. My name is Kirk. I am a 32 year old divorced dad of two energetic boys (thing one and thing two). I took up triathlon to lose some weight. My first race is June 10th and I have lost some lbs (not nearly enough). I have learned a lot from this site and plan to learn a lot more. Hopefully I can pass on some wisdom someday too. I plan on doing at least two tris this summer and maybe a half marthon in the fall. Next year, if the weight loss progresses I would like to do a full marathon and half ironman. Oh, yeah I forgot. Aaron(firstriguy) and I work together and make fun of each other all the time, so it is not personal if you see me insulting him....
2007-05-21 1:15 PM
in reply to: #808528

User image

Medusa_Ann - 2007-05-20 1:03 PM Hi- I would like to have a mentor for this...I am very new as a participant in the world of triathlons. My father was a triathlete until he broke his neck when I was 19, so I was pretty much raised around it. I have been a support crew, race volunteer, and race director, but I have never done a triathlon! I rowed crew in college, and then life happened....somehow I am 38, married, mother of 2 little boys (19 mo and 4 1/2) and trying to get back into shape. My sister and I are both signed up for the Danskin Tri in August, and I would love to beat her--she's a great runner, so I will have to rely on the swim and bike to gain some time. I am an 'ok' runner, at least I think so, for someone who could barely walk 30 minutes a year ago--I can do a pretty regular 9 min mile. I have dropped about 43 +/- pounds in the past year, and would like to drop about 20 more before the tri. I have never been a small person, so I will be dealing with lots of gravity issues--lots of muscle from my past life as an athlete. Currently I am running 4-5 x/week about 30-40 minutes, and biking with one or two kids in the Burley trailer for about 30-50 min about 1-2 x/week. I live near Lake Sammamish in Washington State, and once the lake warms up at the end of June, I swim almost every day for 20-30 min (guess) since my inlaws have a beach house there. (Yes, I am lucky!!) Thanks for your support! I look forward to having a real person to be accountable to...... Leslie

Welcome Leslie!  Glad to have you along with us!

It looks like we are going to have some of my mentees from the January mentor group also with us so ask away with any questions you may have.  I will do my best to get the answers for you!

2007-05-21 1:46 PM
in reply to: #809083

User image

erhoffma - 2007-05-20 10:37 PM Can I join this group?? please! My name is Erin. I'm currently married and both my husband and I are in school working on our masters. No kids, just a dog and and two birds. I started training a couple weeks ago and started a 20 week training program last week. My goal is to just finish a sprint around October. I decided to start training after many failed attempts at consistant workouts at a local gym. Also, my husband is currently training for the half-ironman at buffalo springs as well and I've kinda caught the bug I guess you can say. I've been despirately begging friends to join me so that I could have a workout partner, but everyone thinks I'm crazy, so looks like I'm on my own and any extra support would be GREAT!

Hi Erin!  Welcome to the group!  Do you have a race in mind that you would like to start training for?

Yeah, everyone is going to think you are crazy, but you get used to it after a while.  I do most of my training by myself, and most of the time I prefer it that way.  I rarely ride my bike alone but that is for safety reasons.

So if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask!

2007-05-21 1:47 PM
in reply to: #808243

User image

firstriguy - 2007-05-19 9:44 PM Robyn, Can I still hang out with you. aaron

Yeah, I guess.

2007-05-21 2:46 PM
in reply to: #810108

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
I'm looking at either an all women's tri on October 7 in the DFW area or a reverse tri on Oct. 21 also in the DFW area. Both of them have pool swims which will cut down on the costs a little bit because I won't have to worry about renting a wetsuit. That's always good considering I'm a poor starving college student!!! And I am shooting for doing an olympic distance Irongirl next summer when it is in the Dallas area. (I love the idea of the empowering women's races).
2007-05-21 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I’d like to join up again!  In addition to the advice, the camaraderie and encouragement is fantastic.  I’m definitely further along now than if I wasn’t in Robyn’s group through the Spring! 

My name is Bob and I just turned 40 in October.  I had really let myself slip over the last couple of years, so finally at New Years, I decided it was time to do something.  For a few weeks, I just started exercising at home.  My plan was to lose a pound a week for 30 weeks to go from 210 to 180.  Then I remembered that I always wanted to do a triathlon.  After a search, I came across this site and haven’t turned back! 

I’ve just about hit my goal weight, about 2 mos early.  The way I did it is cutting out all the junk food and virtually all fried, except for the occasional cake for a birthday or something, and consistency with the training.  Now I don't really think about the weight, just the triathlons.  Once I hit 180 on my official Monday weigh in, that stuff will get wiped out of my logs! 

I first started on the Beginner Exercise Program, which was fantastic for starting out.  During the 3rd month, though, I realized it wasn’t aggressive enough for me for the triathlons.  So I switched to the Run Focused 16 week Sprint plan.  Again, not aggressive enough since there were only 2 days of swimming and biking.  I’m now on the 3x 16 week Sprint plan.  That one fits what I’m doing perfectly. 

My plan is a Sprint tri in August and another in September.  I’m comfortable that I could do one now, but I’m going to keep going with the plan and hopefully be more successful!  After this year, I’m planning on continuing with them and going into longer distances.  Olympic definitely for next year.

Leslie – Lucky doesn’t even begin to describe how you can train in a lake!  Most people here would die for that! Smile

Thanks Robyn!

Edited by willie05 2007-05-21 2:59 PM
2007-05-21 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
By the way, if you see two Rochester policemen holding hands listening to Journey while they're training, just smile and look the other way. Wink

2007-05-21 4:42 PM
in reply to: #810304

User image

Expert
willie05 - 2007-05-21 3:00 PM

By the way, if you see two Rochester policemen holding hands listening to Journey while they're training, just smile and look the other way. Wink

I see that I will never live that "Don't stop believing spinning thing down". Wait till I tell you how Aaron plans to "draft" off me while I swim in my speedo.....
2007-05-21 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
So now that we are in this group, how does it work?? Will you be calling me to check in and force me out to exercise? PLEASE!! I know, that's unrealistic. (sigh) Anyway, thanks for taking this on. I need to get some motivation today, as it's rainy and gray and I don't belong to a gym, so it's outdoor workouts or nothing. I am planning a bike ride before it gets too bad out there this evening........some days the northwest is an annoying place to live, especially when it rains for half the year. (Yes, summers rule, and I do have the lake!)
Thanks again!
Leslie
2007-05-21 10:19 PM
in reply to: #810571

User image

Regular
Let the games begin
2007-05-21 11:52 PM
in reply to: #810812

User image

Medusa_Ann - 2007-05-21 7:21 PM So now that we are in this group, how does it work?? Will you be calling me to check in and force me out to exercise? PLEASE!! I know, that's unrealistic. (sigh) Anyway, thanks for taking this on. I need to get some motivation today, as it's rainy and gray and I don't belong to a gym, so it's outdoor workouts or nothing. I am planning a bike ride before it gets too bad out there this evening........some days the northwest is an annoying place to live, especially when it rains for half the year. (Yes, summers rule, and I do have the lake!) Thanks again! Leslie

If you check your workout log, we will all leave you inspires... which are daily notes to remind you to do your workouts!!!  You can also leave inspires for other people which are really nice to see when you are having a bad day or just need some extra motivation.

2007-05-22 11:17 AM

New user

colorado springs
Hi-Is there room for one more? I'm new to the tri thing-I've always ran, did spinning classes ect but this year I decided to challenge myself with a sprint triathalon. I've been training for about 5 wks now and the spring is in Aug. I would LOVE to have someone motivate me and offer inspiration/suggestions. I've been lurking on this site for awhile and love all the info and support.

2007-05-22 11:01 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
I went through and updated my training log (bare bones) for the month of May. Most of my training has been running, with a few short bike rides. I am hoping for more rides soon. I am inheriting a racing bike from my sister (yes, the one I want to beat in the triathlon) so hopefully I will get some intense work done on that. Any opinions on bike shoes? My current bike (mountain) has toe clips, and I just think that's probably way outdated!! The new bike uses bike shoes/clips. I appreciate your opinions.
--Leslie
2007-05-23 7:11 AM
in reply to: #812894

User image

Expert
I have a clipless question too. I have been riding my road bike for a while now. Although I love it, I ride really upright to keep my back and other sensitive parts from going numb. I have not gotten around to putting clipless pedals on. My first race is only a few weeks away. SHould I just wiat and race without them? I don't know if I will have time to get used to them as I am really busy right now at work too....Comments??
2007-05-23 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
I would really like to have a mentor! Is this group still available?
AF
2007-05-23 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I bought clipless pedals with my mountain bike shoes two weeks ago - of course I haven't put them on yet.  My original thought was to get toe clips, but the pedals were only $25 more.  They had me try them out on a bike in the shop, and I couldn't believe the difference!  It definitely made pedaling much more efficient.  It was quite a step up from tennis shoes, to mountain bike shoes, to mtn bike shoes with toe clips, to mtn bike shoes with clipless pedals.  Each of those made a nice improvement!

Gator - my thoughts are that you should put them on to try it out.  If you get used to them, then great!  If not, take them back off before the race - no harm done (unless you fall and break your leg because you can't get your foot out).

2007-05-23 4:18 PM

User image

Regular
This is one question I can answer because my years of biking. Clipless pedals are a must. They are much more stable and efficient. You can also take advantage of the "up pedal" on your rotation. I would not even consider riding w/o them. It takes 1-3 rides to get use to them. Once you use them, you will never go back.

2007-05-23 5:51 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Any suggestions on where to find a cheap but decent used bike? I've been looking on e-bay and I've tried local classifieds and craigslist(no one in my area posts ads). Any other suggestions?

Another question: Those of you focusing on weightloss...how do you do it?? Since I've started training consistantly I'm starving ALL the time! I feel like I could eat a house!!! Any suggestion?

Edited by erhoffma 2007-05-23 5:55 PM
2007-05-23 6:45 PM
in reply to: #814320

User image

Expert
erhoffma - 2007-05-23 5:51 PM

Any suggestions on where to find a cheap but decent used bike? I've been looking on e-bay and I've tried local classifieds and craigslist(no one in my area posts ads). Any other suggestions?

Another question: Those of you focusing on weightloss...how do you do it?? Since I've started training consistantly I'm starving ALL the time! I feel like I could eat a house!!! Any suggestion?

I have the same problem, especially at night when I am working. I have found that when I am home, I mix a bit of skim milk (or water), a banana, some yogurt, and a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder in the blender. It is filling and you cannot eat after you dirnk that much liquid. It is pretty good for recovery too. (If none of RObyn's magic pills are around!)
2007-05-23 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Here's what I've done (and am still doing) for weightloss.

My normal weekday routine is getting up and going to the gym first thing (arrive by 5:45 or so).  After my workout, I fill up a 32 oz bottle of water and drink most of that with a serving of healthy cereal and a banana as I drive to work.  The cereals I have are usually either Go Lean, or one of the ones from Nature's Path - Rebound, Slim, or Power (the Slim is not as filling, so I've been staying away from that).

By mid-morning, I've had two cups of coffee already, then have more water and a PowerBar - high protein (at least 10g), high fiber, low fat.  Don't get ones smothered in chocolate.

For lunch I usually have a grilled chicken sandwich and water, or else sushi rolls.  No combos (i.e. no french fries!)

Mid afternoon - more water, and fruit

Drive home - water

When I get home, if I'm hungry I'll have a handful of peanuts.

For dinner, I don't go crazy with health foods only, but I do make sure it's low fat, and I keep the portion size down.  I won't eat again after dinner, but of course I'll have more water!

Keys to my diet - no fried foods, plenty of water, 3 small portion sizes for meals and 2 snacks so I don't go hungry.

That's half!

The other half is consistency in training.  I did start heavy on the stationary bike which definitely helped (just no random program!).  That built up my endurance and enabled me to move on to running, swimming better, and regular biking.

I also do somewhat light lifting.  Definitely not bodybuilder quality, but enough to build muscle mass which has also helped quite a bit.

Definitely read articles posted on this site.  That's where I learned it all from! Smile

2007-05-23 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
I also want to add that I don't go for the low carb fad.  I make sure I get plenty of carbs, because it's important to keep that up for endurance training.  I just make sure I get a good balance of protein, carbs (fruits, cereal, breads and potatoes), and fiber.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42