BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 42

2007-11-21 9:44 AM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED

The thread is starting to die, so I think its time to re-vamp it in here...

'Tis the season for giving to those we care about.... and I think the greatest gifts we can give to each other is a commitment to health and wellness throughout the holidays.  We need to get back to motivating each other through the off-season so that all of us can kick major butt in the spring.  Its really hard to train in the cold and its hard to control yourself around all the food that comes with the holidays, so consider this a virtual kick in the pants (for myself too) for everyone to keep up the hard work!

So my challenge to everyone is:

• No gained weight over the holidays.
  • AT LEAST one swim, one bike, and one run a week from now until New Years
  • AT LEAST one small race (5k, Turkey Trot, charity walk, etc.) between now and New Years.

If anyone can think of something else they would like to add, please feel free.  Does this sound doable?  Please post all of your holiday commitments here and we will keep track of the progress from now till New Years day...

2007-11-21 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I like it!  I'll have to look up a race or two to do.

I've also thought about the most memorable training/racing moments of the year.  These are the times when I look back it makes me very happy that I started doing this in the first place!

- Reading my first day plan last January and seeing I was supposed to do 20 minutes on the stationary bike and thinking, "Isn't that a bit much?"   LOL!

- Seeing gorgeous Sunrises during the summer!  Especially two I think on back to back mornings when I was on my return trip and the sun was just rising directly over the trail.

- All my wildlife encounters on the bike trail was really fun - deer, rabbits, turkey, snakes, etc, and of course the fishing pole!

- All the Open Water Swims!  I did all my OWS training in far away places - San Diego, Chicago, Florida, Las Vegas.  The most memorable was definitely my first which was in San Diego.  As I got to La Jolla Cove, I couldn't believe my eyes - it looked like running track with so many swimmers!  My first impression in the water was "Ahhh!  Look at the fish!"  Then when I was hundreds of yards away from land, I thought, "Oh, s--t."  Once I settled down from that, I finally got into a rhythm and started just swimming what I learned.  But I sure was happy when I hit land!  Smile

- Having my daughters with me setting up the transitions before the races was fun!

- Coming back to T2 in the 2nd race and seeing the MTB racks completely empty was very cool! Cool

- Riding a road bike for the first time at Lake Mead in Las Vegas was awesome!  That was a fantastic day.  That was also the first time I wore my wetsuit when I swam for a while with it in Lake Mead.

- Definitely learning from everyone here, and being encouraged along the way has been fantastic, and really kept me going when I had plenty of doubts.  Smile Smile

What were some of your most memorable events?

Edited by willie05 2007-11-21 11:10 AM
2007-11-21 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I'll commit to this before New Years -

- No weight gain - I've already climbed up a few pounds to 167.

- 5 training per week (with at least 1 each of swim, bike, run)

- Core 2 days per week

- 1 race

Thanks Robyn!  Great idea!  I was looking at my training earlier today and thinking we needed Dan's old group around for another challenge like in the Spring! LOL!  This will work great! Smile

2007-11-24 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN

Ok, I'm in.  No weight gain (would actually like to drop some between now and January).  Did a 5K Trail Run last weekend and a 4.5 Drumstick Dash Thanksgiving morning.

I'll do at least one more race between now and Jan. 1

Bike??  Hmmm, I refuse to do a spin class (the first and only spin class I did last December caused an achillies tendon injury that took me out of running for months).

:-)

2007-11-24 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN

Memorable thoughts...

First Tri was April 2006.  Second Tri was the same event in 2007 and I took 13 minutes off my time and actually had a SLOWER run!  Lots can be said for having the proper amount of air in your tires and getting on the bike more than twice before the event!

First time I rode to the end of the Cardinal Greenway!  Called my husband to tell him where I was.  I was so proud of myself (34 miles round trip).

My Half-Iron Aqua Bike (HIM minus the run).  I did the 1.2 mile swim (plus the distance I went off course-DOH!) and the 56 mile bike in 3:05 and averaged 18 mph on the bike.  GREAT DAY!

Placed third in my age group in my last Tri of the season!

2007-11-26 11:10 AM

User image

OK.. here's mine:

• No weight gain
  • Only one sugary "treat" per week
  • Absolutely no fast food
  • Run 4x per week (~23 - 25 miles per week)
  • AT LEAST 2 swim and bike per week
  • Get all of my school work done BEFORE the night before
  • White Rock Half Marathon in Dallas (Dec 9)
  • No injuries
  • Walk with the doggies 3x per week

I might add more later.

So far, I am one swim in to this week's goal!

2007-11-26 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1068212

User image

Expert

I will go next :

I want to folllow my training plan for my 1/2 iron as close as possible. I may have to switch Thurs and Fri with the weekend days to do longer rides and runs when I don't have the kids.

My diet sucks. I need to eat less, all the time.  I know that is general, but doing that and following my plan, I think I can get under 200 lbs by April 30. That is my ultimate goal....

2007-11-26 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
My plan is to eat as much pie as I can. I will run a little, swim a little and bike a little, but I plan to enjoy my food. Because frankly, the holiday season only comes once a year.

And...I like pie.

(BTW, Robin, I will see you at White Rock!!! I can't wait!)

Edited by grnidone 2007-11-26 3:37 PM
2007-11-26 3:42 PM

User image

Mmmmmm.... pie...... arrrrrgggggg.....
2007-11-26 10:16 PM
in reply to: #1068705

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Hey everybody!!! Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving...and thanks to everyone who send me well wishes while I was on vacation.

Re: memories for this year...... what can I say? I BECAME A TRIATHLETE THIS YEAR!!!!!! I still can't believe it to be honest. Each race I did this year was special in some way, but I think nothing compares with finishing your first. (Losing your virginity so to speak!) Even though I was slow and riding my clunker of a bike, it was still a thrill to cross that finishline, and see my family there waiting for me.

Re:End of year training......OK, I'm in. I have a 1K fun run with my son this Saturday (may be jockstrapping at WRL on the 9th...if so I hope to meet Robyn and Heather in person!). I'm doing weight watchers and losing steadily (with a small hiccup over vacation). And I think I can manage 1 workout of each although my bikes may be spin classes when the weather is bad.

Its great to see the thread alive and well. I need the motivation!!!!!

2007-11-26 10:42 PM

User image

Regular

My commitments before the start of 2008

1) Get back under 190#s

2) run 3 times a weeks

3) Bike/Spin 2 times a week

4) Swim 2 times a week

5) Lift 2 times a week

6) Cure some of my nagging injuries 

2007-11-27 8:47 AM

User image

I am going to be ordering another case of Recover-ease here soon.  Does anyone want some?

Kirk - I haven't forgotten about you... I contacted them to get the order and this is what they replied... it looks like it will be a few weeks for I can get you some more juice...

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for your email. I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving.  We are currently in Australia for IM Western Australia, so all of our orders are on hold until we return to the US on Dec. 5.  You can either email or call me then, and I can take care of your order - team pricing, of course.....
2007-11-27 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
> Recover-ease

What is it?
What are the ingredients?
Does it contain soy? (I'm allergic)
Does it contain sugar? (it hurts my stomach)

Gatoraid stuff tends to upset my stomach. I found some salt/ mineral capsules I'm going to try. This is something I struggle with, and I've not found anything that works well.
2007-11-27 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1070121

User image

Expert
It is awesome toward alleviating soreness from working out. I need some BAAAAAD!!!
2007-11-27 9:28 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Warning:  LONG POST!

Hi everyone, happy holidays!  Sorry I have been absent from the forum, but I've been traveling with the family and my computer has been messed up.  I think it's fixed now, and we are home from our trip, so now I can resume focus.  I have slipped a bit in the past month, both in my nutrition and my workouts.  I need to get back on track so I have just signed up for the 20 week run-focused Oly workouts on here, which will hopefully give me some guidelines instead of just winging it like I've been doing (and skipping a lot since I am not accountable to a schedule).  The training program will be "done" mid to end of April, and hopefully then I can just work at gently increasing or even just maintaining my fitness throughout the season, since I am planning to combine both sprints and Olys, in addition to possibly biking in the Seattle-to-Portland and doing other non-tri races to keep it interesting.  As always, my challenge will be finding the time to do this with my kids hanging off me, but hopefully I will be able to work it in.  It's hard here in the winter when it is dark at 4 pm and doesn't get light until 7 am....but hopefully I can work through that.  And I hope to have the kid weaned by the dawn of the New Year!!! 

So, this past season was great as far as first tri seasons are concerned.  I set out to do one sprint tri and completed four by the end of the season.  I also ran some 5ks, a 5-mile and a 10k.  I got first place in my division in my first race and placed in the top 30% overall in all the races.  In my final race I was third in my division, even with my weak swimming.  The main thing is that triathlon lit a fire within me that I really needed at this time in my life, and has affected positive changes in a lot of other areas.  It's been awesome having this group to be my support group--you have no idea how much the inspires mean to me, even though I often don't have time to reciprocate, when I see that little red number I get so happy.

Some firsts/highlights for me:

• Wore a wetsuit in a race (in public, even!)
  • Got a new road bike and my first clip-in shoes
  • Swam with goggles and a cap
  • Bought a whole new wardrobe since my old one got way too big
  • Inspired many friends and family to make healthy changes
  • Looked "hot" at my 20-year reunion
  • Wore a one-piece tri suit (in public, even
  • Met some awesome fellow triathletes
  • Completed a triathlon in a horrible rainstorm with a smile on my face

And yes, I am on board for making it through the rest of the holiday season staying active, watching the hand-to-mouth and trying to lose the few pounds I have let accumulate since my focus waned. 

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long.  Back to the screaming kids now.....!

2007-11-28 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1070121

User image

grnidone - 2007-11-27 11:06 AM > Recover-ease What is it? What are the ingredients? Does it contain soy? (I'm allergic) Does it contain sugar? (it hurts my stomach) Gatoraid stuff tends to upset my stomach. I found some salt/ mineral capsules I'm going to try. This is something I struggle with, and I've not found anything that works well.

Its a recovery supplement that is L-glutamine based.  No sugar and no soy products... as far as the labels are concerned.

I don't like "supplements" and don't like taking vitamins, but this stuff is awesome.  I don't believe in the snake oil remedies, but no joke, this stuff works.

2007-11-28 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
Can you bring some down with you at the White Rock thing? I'd like to try some. (I'm not sure if I need an entire can though..maybe just a packets to try.
2007-12-03 12:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

For some reason, I thought I had already replied to this challenge. I am in for no weight gain and a lot of weight loss. I will look for a 5K to do. I will definitely be working each sport at least once a week, and hopefully twice.

As for memorable moments... I finished a sprint triathlon. Holy crap! I still cannot believe it some days...

2007-12-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1080000

User image

Expert
We got a crazy snow storm today.  I ran 4.5 out there and was greeted with many strange looks from shovelers. I started to sing "Grandma got run over by a reindeer".....
2007-12-04 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
That sounds fun!  You are braver than me, as I am sure I'd slip and fall and that would be that.  We've got rain and wind again, so at this point I think I will be on the treadmill.    Enjoy the snow, though!!  Are you supposed to get more?
2007-12-04 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
We have had some flurries, but nothing that would stick. I wish it would snow so I could try out the screw shoes. (topic in main forum) Those look cool! Plus any excuse to use power tools is a good excuse.

2007-12-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1082319

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Medusa_Ann - 2007-12-04 11:19 AM That sounds fun!  You are braver than me, as I am sure I'd slip and fall and that would be that.  We've got rain and wind again, so at this point I think I will be on the treadmill.    Enjoy the snow, though!!  Are you supposed to get more?

We just spent a half hour figuring out how to deal with over 10,000 pkgs that are stuck somewhere between Portland and Seattle because of the weather and closed roads.  Plus another few thousand each that aren't in Olympia and Everett yet but are supposed to be.

Fun times. Undecided

2007-12-04 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1082298

User image

gator22 - 2007-12-04 10:10 AM We got a crazy snow storm today.  I ran 4.5 out there and was greeted with many strange looks from shovelers. I started to sing "Grandma got run over by a reindeer".....

LMAO!!  Is that what I have to look forward to?  Running in the snow?

For those of you that don't know yet.... triOK is moving to MICHIGAN.  That's right, I won't be triOK for much longer.

I was picked off by a head hunter and they are sending me to Plymouth, MI (not too far from Detroit)... luckily, I know some BTers up there so I will be well-taken care of.

So does anyone have a good idea for my new screen name?  I can't decide on one... and I am a true BTer at heart, so I can't decide to go to the bathroom without asking here first...

And if anyone is taking notes, all I want for Christmas is warm clothes and fuzzy jackets and snow-proof running clothes.

2007-12-04 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Robyn's new running outfit! Cool

2007-12-04 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1082961

User image

willie05 - 2007-12-04 3:42 PM