Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-05-17 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: cathrone's Group - CLOSED

NAME: cathrone/Craig Throne

STORY: This is my third season of multi-sport (only did a duathlon and road races my first season).  About three years ago, I reached a serious plateau in my weight loss (before that relied on diet and walking).  Decided to start running to see if I could lose more weight and improve my overall health.  After a VERY painful month, I really started to like it and set my sights on finishing a local 5K.  While training for the 5K, I heard a co-worker talking about a duathlon he had just finished.  Thought that sounded like a lot of fun, so I registered for a fall duathlon, had my father-in-law fix me up an old beater bike and started riding too.  When I completed the duathlon, I was hooked.  The people were great and it was just an amazing experience.  That winter started making the transition from not drowning to actually swimming and completed my first triathlon last June. 

FAMILY STATUS: Have been married to a wonderful/beatiful woman for 10 years.  We have two furry, four-legged kids (a Beagle and an Australian Shepard mutt).

CURRENT TRAINING: Focus for the spring/summer is getting faster at 5K's (trying to break 22 minutes) and Olympic Tri's (trying to break 3 hours).  In the fall, I plan to do my first marathon.   I put together my own training plan for the tris (focussing on building distance along with some good quality speed/strength work).  For the marathon, I am planning on following Hal Higdon's novice plan.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:  Last year I completed two sprint triathlons, two olympic triathlons, three sprint duathlons, a half-marathon, and a handful of 5Ks.

2007 RACES: This year I have already done a half-marathon and two 5Ks.  Plan on doing two sprint triathlons, two olympic triathlons, the Detroit Marathon, and some running races to be figured out later (probably 5Ks and maybe another half-marathon).

WEIGHTLOSS: This spring I finally reached my goal weight (took me about six years to lose a little over 100lbs).   Main focus is to continue to eat healthy/balanced and maintain my weight. 

Edited by cathrone 2007-06-01 3:37 PM

2007-05-22 1:00 PM
in reply to: #804312

New user

Subject: RE: cathrone's Group - OPEN
Hi Craig - My name is Alexis and I would love to join your group. I am also married (22 years) with two dogs (black labs). I have never done a tri but do run (like you, trying to improve my times), strength train, spin classes and have started swimming. My goal for a first tri is the Luray Sprint on August 19th.

Let me know what I need to do to get started. I will be backpacking in Glacier National Park May 31 - June 8th so I hope two months will be enough time

Thanks for your support
2007-05-22 2:32 PM
in reply to: #812024

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Hi Alexis,

Welecome to the group.   Sounds like you are a pretty active person, so two months should be plenty of time to prepare for a sprint.   To get started, I would encourage you to do two things: 

1) Start logging your workouts in your blog (click on the 'Training Log' button at the top of the screen.  Then click 'Edit today's log').  I, and others on this site, will able to answer your questions better if we can see your workouts.   If you have time, enter any workouts from last week too, this will help me get a feeling of where you are at. 

2) As soon as you are 100% sure that the Luray Sprint is the one you want to start with, register for it.  At least for me, a race entry fee is a big motivator to hit my workouts. 

If you have questions, ask away.

--Craig

2007-05-26 11:25 PM

New user

Hey Craig-
My name is Joe Harr and I would love to be in your group. I recently became interested in triathloning and although I have yet to do my first sprint (it is on June 10th), this new interest has already turned into somewhat of an obsession and tri is all I have been able to think about the past week or so. As I said I am signed up to do my first Sprtin Triathlon on June 10th and then have a couple tris on June 30th and August 27th that I'd like to do. I hope to cap off my summer by doing a half marathon (maybe a marathon) on September 15th and would love any advice you can offer me. I have been a serious exerciser for about 2 years now and feel pretty comfortable both running and biking, but am not so smooth in the water (I can breastroke pretty good, but my crawl is pretty weak). My runs usually are about 45-55 minutes in length and I often bike as long as 2 hrs. I also tend to love hills and hill repeats in both running and biking, and so already have this going for me in my training.
I would appreciate any training tips, advice, or words of wisdom that you have for a beginner tri with my background. I especially am interested in tips for marathon training and how much I should run and how much is too much. I should also mention that I have a tendency to overdo things and have a habit of becoming fixated/obsessed about interests. Anyway I look forward to hearing back from you and hope you'll let me in your group. Thanks.
Joe Harr
2007-05-28 6:45 AM
in reply to: #818472

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the group and to Beginner Triathlete.  Don't worry about breast stroke being stronger than your crawl, at your tri you'll see people doing breast stroke, side stroke, backstroke, doggy paddle, ...  As long as it propels you forward your good. 

It looks like your first tri is two weeks out.  From what you said, and glancing at your logs, it looks like you are ready in terms of endurance.  If you haven't all ready you'll want to get a BRICK or two in this week.  This is where you do your normal bike workout and then immediately go for a short run (a mile is sufficient).  This where you get your legs used to moving from a circular motion to a back and forth motion (the first time you do this your legs might feel very heavy).  If you have to change from cycling shoes to running shoes, its a good opportunity to practice doing this as quick as possible too.

I am happy to answer any questions that you have.

--Craig

2007-05-29 12:11 AM

High Desert, California
Hey Craig,

I'm interested in joining the group. I'm a Marine stationed in 29 Palms, California, but I'm not in as good of shape as I ought to be considering my job. I'm training with a friend in preparation for a Sprint Tri in September, though I'm thinking a slightly closer goal for my first sprint might be better. I don't want to lose motivation with a race so far away.

Anyway, I'm 5'8", 165lbs, 25yrs old. I've been swimming 4 days a week for about an hour each time (Been doing this about a month now). I currently run about 5-8 miles a week, but I certainly want to increase that. I have an awesome bike, but I've been lazy and haven't been cycling very much at all (Cycling, though, was really my first interest toward multi-sports. It's so much fun to ride when you're in shape, but now that I'm not in shape, it seems like work, which I suppose it is in a sense). I also irregularly work out in the gym, which is a shame since being in the military gives me access to excellent gym facilities for free, and I ought to be taking advantage of the opportunity.

Several years ago I did a couple long cycling rides including the RSVP (a 2-day, 200 miler put on by Cascade cycling club in Seattle), but I've never done a tri, or really any sort of competetive event.

Like Joe, my Breaststroke is way better than crawl, but I've been working on 1/2 lap breast and then 1/2 lap crawl, and I'm seeing improvement.

Anyway, enough rambling for now. I don't really have any logs right now, but I'll be entering them from now on. I look forward to any advice you can provide.

Thanks,

- Jack

2007-05-29 8:26 AM
in reply to: #819808

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the group.   Staying motivated is a big part of triathlon training.   You could probably complete a sprint tri on 8-10 weeks of training.  So if there is an August sprint that would fit into your schedule I don't see any problems getting ready for it.   Doing some 5Ks between now and September might be another option. 

As you start training, keep your workouts at a moderate or easy effort.  You should be able to carry on a conversation for most it.   This helps to avoid injury and overtraining.  As you get closer to your race you can start adding some higher intesity workouts.

--Craig

2007-05-30 11:57 AM

New user

I'm anxious to hear how Joe does in his Sprint on June 10th. I've been reading the other forums and it seems like open water freaks everyone out (I wasn't too worried until I started reading). Who knew that wetsuits could cause so many problems? I won't be able to swim OW until my event - hopefully the Luray Sprint in August - so that has me a little worried.

I'm off backpacking until June 8th so I will start my training log when I return. I am registered for an 8K on the 10th.

Glad to have other members join the group - I can't wait to share training experiences and motivation

Alexis
2007-05-31 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
I just started this sport after years of body neglect that lead to a 75 lbs weight gain. This year I finished my first 1/2 Marathon and sprint Tri. I will race another Tri on July 22nd.

Like so many, swimming is my major hang-up (part of the reason I went Army!). I have been working on just getting comfortable and breathing in the water.

I would like to join your group as any tips that relate either to swimming or weight loss would be much appreciated.

Job: State of Arizona and Medical Microbiology

Family: Married (2nd Wife) Two teen age girls, Teen step daughter and 8 year old son plus dog.
2007-05-31 7:46 PM
in reply to: #824805

High Desert, California
perkins_jerryw - 2007-06-01 8:27 AM

Like so many, swimming is my major hang-up (part of the reason I went Army!).

I've always been comfortable in the water (Marine Corps, lol), but that doesn't mean I'm efficient at all. I get complimented on my breast stroke, but I feel like a fish out of water when I try to crawl stroke - Gulping for air and trying to remember to kick.

(Not sure if that analogy fits, but oh well.)

- Jack
2007-06-01 7:31 AM
in reply to: #824805

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the group.  Congratulations on your first sprint and half marathon.  

I am not the best swimmer out there but have been making steady improvements over the last 15 months (have knocked about 5 minutes off of my 1000 yard pool swim time and my stroke count is down from 30 per 25 yards to 20 per 25 yards).  I am fan of the total immersion system (http://www.totalimmersion.net/).  I have only used the books and free resources on the web site--haven't tried a DVD or attended a clinic yet. 

The biggest thing with TI is balance in the water.  If your legs and hips are sinking it is going to create a drag effect and you are going to have to work that much harder to propel yourself through the water.  For triathlon swimming, you only want to kick enough to maintain balance, that way your legs are fresh for biking and running. 

--Craig

Edited by cathrone 2007-06-01 7:32 AM

2007-06-01 1:41 PM

Hi all,

I would love to join your group. I have been training for a little over a year, but seriously started focusing on Tri training las month. I am working out and training for weight loss purposes. My first tri is a sprint on July 22nd. I was a competetive swimmer in college and am a good power walker! I am working on improving my bike and run/walk......

I'll log workouts and am glad to join your group!

Carol
2007-06-01 3:36 PM
in reply to: #825983

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: RE: cathrone's Group - CLOSED

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the group.  It will be great to have a swimmer with us. 

I think five members plus myself is a good size, so I am marking our group as closed.  I encourage everyone to add our group members to your friends list (let me know if you need help doing this) and check out each other's blogs frequently.

Since Joe's first race is about a week away, I will start posting some tips about what you can expect on race day. 

--Craig

Edited by cathrone 2007-06-01 3:37 PM
2007-06-02 9:14 PM
in reply to: #826209

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Since Joe is racing in a week, I'll start to give some tips out. Below is what you can expect from the time you get to the race venue until the swim start.  I have done races with three different race companies and they all went similiar to this.

Try to get to the venue within a half hour of transition opening (at most races I have done, transition opens about two hours before the start of the race).  This gives you plenty of time to find a parking spot and get setup.

When you first arrive, you'll want to find the packet pickup. Ask the person handing out packets if there are assigned racks (this means your bike has to go onto a particular spot).  If you are planning to wear a wetsuit, ask if the race will be wetsuit legal (if the water is over 75 degrees, it might not be).

Your packet should contain three keyitems: 1) a timing chip--this gets velcroed to your ankle and must be worn the full duration of the race 2) a colored swim cap--this must be worn for the full duration of the swim, and 3) a number bib--this must be worn for the full duration of the run.  Packet will also contain other swag (t-shirts, samples, coupons, ...).  If it contains new food samples, DO NOT try them the day of your race.  Race day is not the day to try putting new things into your body. 

Once you pickup your packet, it's time to setup transition.  If you brought your family with you they SHOULD NOT enter the transition area.  Transitions are normally over crowded with just the athletes.  If spots are not assigned, try to pick a location close to an aisle--this will give you more room to make your transition.  If the bike-in and bike-out are the same, pick a spot close to that less distance you will have to run with your bike).  Everybody sets up their transition different, try not to over think it.  The point is to move as quickly as possible from swim to bike and from bike to run.  Your bike can be hung from the rack by the seat or by the handle bars.  You'll want pre safety pin your bib to the shirt you will be running in or onto your race belt (race-belt is well worth the $5-$10 investment).

Once you setup transition, you'll want to find where they are doing body marking.  Normally they will mark your calves with your age group.  Your biceps will be marked with your bib number.

Next, you'll want to wander down to the water and take a look at the swim course.  Make sure you understand the route you are going to have to swim, try to look for things in the distance you can site off of (I'll go over more swim tips later this week). If you are worried about your swim, don't spend too much time looking at the course, you'll just freak yourself out. The last thing you'll need to do is find the mount line.  This is usually about 100 feet outside of transition.  You cannot ride your bike until you cross this line.  On your way back in, you have to dismount before crossing
the line. 

Now it's time to relax for a bit.  Talk with people, checkout how other people setup their transition (might get some good tips for your next race), drool over the $6000 race wheels, etc.  About 45 minutes before the start of the race, you'll want to start your warmup. If you ride your bike for your warmup, make sure you where your helmet with the strap buckled.  Once you enter the race venue you can be disqualified for not properly wearing your helmet at ANY TIME (including warmups and after the race is over). 

Normally, they will close transition about 15 mintues before the start and call everybody down to the swim start.  Make sure you have your goggles and timing chip before leaving transition.  At this time most race directors will have a course meeting going over the entire course.  If you have a question, ask it--you're probably not the only one with the same question.  Normally, swim starts are divided into waves make sure you know what wave you are in.  

Will post some tips on what to expect for the swim tomorrow.

--Craig

Edited by cathrone 2007-06-02 9:15 PM
2007-06-04 12:03 PM

So, just though I'd let you guys know I totally "ate it" on my bike Saturday. My husband and I had gone for a ride (I finally convinced him to go for a ride) and I was practicing using my clip shoes, so I can't even say I fell going down hill. I was on my way back home and stepped on the pedal to take off, the pedal clicked I lost my balance and couldn't get my foot off the clicky thing....so awesome!!! I have asphalt burn up and down my leg, and skinned my hand and elbow pretty badly, but nothing broken, except.....

when I got back on the bike, I noticed the chain was off (I have no clue about bike parts, etc, I am a total novice) so my husband claimed the chain had fallen off in the crash, but what actually happened is a little bolt-type elbow looking piece had bent, and put more strain on the bike, etc.....

I had to wait on the side of the road after my husband's fix...he picked me up, went to the bike shop, got it fixed, and am ready for a ride again today!

The guys at the shop told me that more than likely I'd never fall due to clip shoes again, this was my lesson in either gettting my shoe off while riding, or finding a place I could hold on to, before working the shoes....

Had to share!!!!

2007-06-04 4:42 PM
in reply to: #826986

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

So here is what you can expect with the open water swim portion of a tri.

First off, there will be contact, its just not avoidable.  Most race directors keep the waves around 100, so there will be 200 arms and 200 legs all trying to move to the same point at the same time.  The contact will be worse at the very beginning and whenever you have to make a turn around a buoy.  You can reduce the contact in the beginning by starting at the back outside of the pack. You can reduce the contact at the buoy by going wide around it.

Also, there are athlets out there who will try to swim over you if they think you are in their way.  This practice is frowned upon but it does happen.  If someone tries to swim over you, do a hard frog kick (like what you use with breast stroke)--that usually is enough to convince them to pick a different route.  With all that being said, I have never felt  endangered during a swim.  I find the contact annoying at worst.

The next major difference between pool swimming and open water swimming is there is no lane line to keep you moving straight.  You have to sight. You can either do this by occasionaly switching to breast stroke and sighting when you breathe, or by lifting your head straight up during the crawl, or by treading water for second, getting your bearings and continuing on.  Besides the buoys, you can sight off things on land that are in line with the buoy.  You can also sight off of other swimmers.  If you can see a large pack in front of you, head towards them.  Packs
of people tend to move in the correct direction.  One other tip, if you are in a pack, try to keep someone on either side of you--again packs tend to move in the correct direction.  How often you have to sight depends on how straight you can swim.  A simple test is to close your eyes while doing a pool swim.  If, like me, you are hitting a lane marker every couple of strokes you will have to sight often because you drift.

The last difference is waves and currents.  I have never had to deal with currents so I can't offer any suggestions.  If the waves are big, you might have to dive underneath them as you run out.  If the swim parrallels the shore and is close to the break line, you might have to time your breaths in between waves or change which side you breath on.

At the end of your swim, try to swim until the water is less than waist deep (knee deep is better).  Running through deeper water burns a lot of energy and will hurt your performance on the bike and run.  After you exit the water, you will typically cross a timing mat.  Run slowly, or even walk fast, to the transition area.  This is no place to be sprinting, there is a lot of race left. 

IF you start to panick during a tri swim, here are some things to try.  1) see if you can put your feet down, I've done a few swims where I could pretty much touch the whole way.  2) try to switch strokes--any stroke is legal, I have seen breast stroke, back stroke, side stroke, doggy paddle, lie on your back and kick, and even one guy who started butterflying.  3) roll on your back and float until you feel composed.  4)  If you can get to buoy, it is perfectly legal to hang on and rest for a few moments.  5) See if you can get to a lifeguard on a kayak (grab the boat NEVER the paddle).  You can rest at a kayak without being DQ as long as they don't move you forward.   HOWEVER, if the lifeguard thinks you can't make it they can DQ you and pull you in based on their judgement.  A race director will never overrule a lifeguard's decision. 

Hope this helps,
 --Craig

2007-06-04 7:37 PM
in reply to: #828716

High Desert, California
CKnorte - 2007-06-05 2:03 AM

So, just though I'd let you guys know I totally "ate it" on my bike Saturday. My husband and I had gone for a ride (I finally convinced him to go for a ride) and I was practicing using my clip shoes, so I can't even say I fell going down hill. I was on my way back home and stepped on the pedal to take off, the pedal clicked I lost my balance and couldn't get my foot off the clicky thing....so awesome!!! I have asphalt burn up and down my leg, and skinned my hand and elbow pretty badly, but nothing broken, except.....

Trust me, you're not the first... you won't be the last. Thankfully, the first time I used clipless pedals (I still don't know why they're called that), I didn't quite crash, but I was a split second away from it. I slowed and tried to pull my foot from the pedal, and when it didn't happed I somehow miraculously forced my bike into enough momentum to start pedaling again. I Should have crashed, but didn't. My heart was racing. But I didn't screw it up again after that, lol.
2007-06-05 1:30 PM
in reply to: #828716

User image

Master
Subject: Carols fall!
I still have suicide cages on my bike and raced the first one like that. No need to change shoes in transition as the running shoes were on my feet already. Was going to change to clips in the next week to practice for July 22nd race, and had been prewarned to practice alot in the driveway on releases as your story is a common one. Hope the war wounds look good though. You husband may need to look out as all the true bikers may be attracted to the road burn look! (jk)

Edited by perkins_jerryw 2007-06-05 1:32 PM
2007-06-05 1:42 PM
in reply to: #829390

User image

Master
cathrone - 2007-06-04 2:42 PM

The next major difference between pool swimming and open water swimming is there is no lane line to keep you moving straight. 

--Craig

If possible you should try a short open water swim before race day with experienced company or someone on a paddle board alongside. I missed this step during taper week and my first ever open water swim was on race day. All of my practice was in a pool even in my wet suit and the lake was VERY different. I learned quickly to breath on the right side (as left is my custom but the water was alwasy there because of wind).

All said was true (except the entrance and exit of the lake was a plunge and tread start so no waist water running. in my last race) especially the part about not being shy during your wave start as everyone was freindly and packed together to start and kicking was the rule not the exception!

Next race I'll start in the back and swim wide of the bouys!

Jer

Edited by perkins_jerryw 2007-06-05 1:43 PM
2007-06-12 7:26 AM
in reply to: #830801

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Just checking in to see how everybody is doing.

--Craig

2007-06-12 3:50 PM

All is good, am back on my bike and trying to work up and down hills....it takes time and energy but they seem to be getting easier....

I haven't been in the pool for a week, I am hoping to get an hour in today before resistance training and tomorrow I am doing a swim/run combo with my gym's triathlon group. Should be fun.

How is everyone else?

2007-06-12 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Going for an Open water swim with a group I met here at BT on Thursday. Should be a blast as long as I do not drown (but I will have a wetsuit on so all is good). This week I am working on caloric reduction to get off this platue. 30lbs lost and stuck at the moment. Jer
2007-06-14 7:38 PM

High Desert, California
Sorry I disappeared for a bit. Been busy, but still working out

Finally convinced my buddy to get a bike, so we'll be going for a short little fun-ride this afternoon.

Had a good game of football this morning and the some swimming at lunch. Overall, a pretty good day!
2007-06-18 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Always good to bike with someone, especially when a flat happens. So what is
"My training partner got his cycling virginhood taken away today." supposed to mean besides riding - a good fall or declipping accident?
2007-06-18 3:37 PM

High Desert, California
Heh, it was his first ride on a road bike. He'd never cycled before, except recreational biking as a kid. We did a 12-miler, and it might have been a bit much for his first, but it was fun anyway. We had a nice long hill at one point, and he was dying going up, but said it was all worth it on the way down!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cathrone's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 2