BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cathrone's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: #804312

New user

Subject: cathrone's Group
Just got an awesome road bike and getting used to the differences between this one and my mountain bike - leaning forward, going through the gears and using the clips. So far (since I'm a wimp) I've managed to ride with one foot clipped "just in case". Next ride - both feet! My goal is to average 16-18mph for my training rides. So far I'm closer to 10 mph.

Been running a little more, trying to improve my speed. Found a running partner for Friday mornings which should help

Bought "Swimming for Triathlons" (the IT method recommended by Craig) and hope to implement the drills/techniques. Will go to the pool Friday after work

Still doing a lot of weight training but need to think about a specific tri trianing program. Any suggestions?

Alexis

2007-06-19 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
Subject: RE: cathrone's Group - CLOSED
Plenty of free ones here at BT that you can load right into your logs. I loaded the 13 week sprint, but as I am over each week I may need to look at an olympic training program. Will need to get up endurance for an olympic by September anyway for Timex. One question for the group - my next race is July 22 and it is a sprint, but in September I am trying an olympic. I still need the taper before the sprint race, any other things I should do with the two races so relatively close?

IM Jer
2007-06-20 12:20 PM
in reply to: #850911

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

I still need the taper before the sprint race, any other things I should do with the two races so relatively close? IM Jer

I am in similiar boat.  I am racing this Sunday and my Olympic is only three weeks after that.  Because the Olympic is more important to me, I am only doing a partial taper for this weekend's race.  This is what I am doing:  Saturday to Wedneday--normal Olympic workouts, Thursday--off, Friday--light workouts, Saturday--off, Sunday--race, Monday--easy recovery workout.

This lets me continue to build for the Olympic and go into Sunday's race at least somewhat rested.

--Craig

2007-06-20 12:28 PM
in reply to: #850350

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: RE: cathrone's Group

alexis33 - 2007-06-19 11:08 AM Just got an awesome road bike and getting used to the differences between this one and my mountain bike - leaning forward, going through the gears and using the clips. So far (since I'm a wimp) I've managed to ride with one foot clipped "just in case". Next ride - both feet! My goal is to average 16-18mph for my training rides. So far I'm closer to 10 mph. Been running a little more, trying to improve my speed. Found a running partner for Friday mornings which should help Bought "Swimming for Triathlons" (the IT method recommended by Craig) and hope to implement the drills/techniques. Will go to the pool Friday after work Still doing a lot of weight training but need to think about a specific tri trianing program. Any suggestions? Alexis

Hope you are enjoying your new bike.  The free training plans here on BT are very useful.  Last year, I used the balanced Olympic plan and it worked great.  There is Sprint version of this plan also.  Basically, each week, you do a long and short workout in each discipline. 

--Craig

2007-06-28 10:26 PM

New user

Hey everyone,

I know I haven't posted in a long time and haven't been entering any logs for a while now (haven't really even been frequenting the site to be honest) and thought I would offer a little bit of an explanation for why this is the case. First of all I'd like to say how great of a group we have here and how much I appreciate all the support everyone gives to one another and that has been given in my direction too, its great to know there's others out there grinding it out like you and pulling for you in your corner too. But the main reason I wrote is to let you all know that I needed to take a break from training to sort out some personal things and will not be competing in another triathlon for a little while now. It isn't that I didn't enjoy my first tri experience (in fact I loved it and had an absolute blast) or wasn't enjoying the training, I just started to realize that I was kind of being motivated in my training for some wrong reasons and need to resolve some things for myself. I have been battling what I guess could be called an eating disorder for about a year and half (almost 2) and kind of realized that training in a way was just allowing me a way to justify working out constantly. SO although I really enjoyed all the training I did (and still am getting good exercise) I was never eating enough and constantly feeling somewhat run down, tired, fatigued, and near sick at times too. I figured in order to sort out the eating disorder and take care of my health it was necessary to put training and triathlons on the back burner and focus on all of this. So I hate to bore I all of you with these details, but since everyone was so supportive I felt I would at least offer somewhat of an explanation.
Again thanks a lot for any encouragement offered my way and I wish all of you the best luck as you continue in your training. I hope to be able to return to the sport of triathlon sometime and hope that when I do I feel much stronger and more focused on it for the right reasons. Take Care, Joe.
2007-06-29 7:38 AM
in reply to: #865423

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Hi Joe,

Just take care of yourself.  The sport will still be here when you are ready to return.

--Craig

2007-07-04 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy July 4th.  Hope your training is going well.

--Craig

2007-07-05 1:32 PM
in reply to: #865585

New user

Thanks alot Craig. Ill let you all know when and if I decidet to start training again. On a side note I did get in a couple killer bike rides while on a weekend trip back home to my parents farm. Hope everyone had a happy and safe fourth of July. See you.

Joe
2007-07-16 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Hope July is going great for all. I go on Friday to Flagstaff, AZ for the Mountain Man Tri on Sunday. Met some great people here at BT and even trained a few times with some of them and they are renting a house there for the weekend. Going to have a carb lunch on Saturday as a group and think that this is the great part about this sport! Different age groups and different levels ( mountain Man has HIM, Oly, and Sprint races) as well as different goals - but still freinds in training. Just great!
2007-08-07 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Hey Cathrone - anyone left in this group?
2007-08-08 8:55 AM

Still around....sorry for being out of it for a while...have been working (real work) like crazy, with tons of travel so my training was sidelined....still trying to get in a few practice runs/bike/swims a week....next on the lets see if I can make the race....end of Sept. so I'll keep you all posted...

2007-08-08 9:13 AM
in reply to: #917751

New user

I'm still here. I've been working out but not recording mostly because with biking I ride 1+ hours and have been working on getting used to my gears, clipless pedals, cadence, etc and with the swimming I've been working on technique. Nothing really to record as far as time/distance.

My first Tri is in two weeks - August 19th. I'm not worried about the run or bike but the swim is freaking me out a little. I haven't had the opportunity to do OWS so I'm not really sure how far I can go w/o stopping (I've always had a nice wall to rest on). It's in a lake so I won't have to worry about waves or too many creatures.

My goal is to finish and finish smiling!
2007-08-14 12:24 PM
in reply to: #917782

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Glad to hear that you guys are still training.  Let me know if you have any questions.
2007-08-22 8:52 AM
in reply to: #925407

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Just checking in to see how everybody is doing.  Training wise things are going good for me.  Finished up the triathlon season ten days ago.  Now focussing all of my training getting ready for the Detroit Marathon. 

--Craig

2007-09-28 2:19 PM

User image

Master

Two sprint Tri's, my first Olympic, and now working on prepareing for a Century bike in Tucson, AZ with a full Mary in Feb and a 24 hour Relay race.  Who said big boys aren't motivated?

2007-10-09 2:07 PM
in reply to: #983197

User image

Master
perkins_jerryw - 2007-09-28 12:19 PM

Two sprint Tri's, my first Olympic, and now working on prepareing for a Century bike in Tucson, AZ with a full Mary in Feb and a 24 hour Relay race.  Who said big boys aren't motivated?

Throwing in an extra Quarterman on Oct 28th to give me 4 Tris. 1/2 Mary and a Century for rmy first year on BT.  Now I just need to finish the 1/4 and the 100!

2007-10-17 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Tap Tap Tap . . . Hello out there!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cathrone's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 2