BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brett's Group - All Full Up Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-05-17 11:07 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Brett's Group - All Full Up

Username (Real name): Brett (Brett), I think Ron and I are tied for the most unoriginal screen names on this board.

History/Background: TCU Alum where I majored in Computer Science.  Married w/ no kids.  Right now I'm living near Cincy supervising ROTC for the Air Force.

Training:  I've been doing triathlons for about 5 years now, although I've mixed it in with lots of other physical pursuits rather than focusing strictly on it.  I average 2-3 A races a year, all at the Sprint/Oly distances.  I'll probably suck it up and do a HIM this year to see what all the talk is about.  Like Ron I'm also big into lifting, but that's mostly to support my Rugby habit.  I've also tried adventure racing and will be trying to work a few more of those in this year as well.  My two A-races last year were the Boilerman Oly and The Rattlesnake Adventure Race

Weight Loss:  As is my tradition, I'll drop 10-15lbs after the holidays to get back to my racing/playing weight. 

Good luck all.

Edited by Brett 2007-06-19 12:43 PM

2007-05-23 6:19 PM
in reply to: #804692

New user
Subject: RE: Brett's Group - Open
I'd like to join this group. My name is Joy and I am in the DC area. I was doing the January program but dropped out after a few frustrating set backs. I am currently signed up for Iron Girl's Columbia Triathlon on August 19th. So far my training is going well, and heading into the second phase of training. I am so pleased that I am thinking of doing an Olympic distance event next year.
2007-05-25 7:53 AM

User image

Elite

Good to have you, it looks like you've got my undivided attention to this point.  I went back and looked at your questions from the last mentor group, did you ever get them answered?

bts

2007-05-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: #816573

New user
No I didn't, which was one of my frustrations. I did calm down about the things I don't know, and have kind of pieced together basic information from other posts. It is funny that the unknowns about the transitions and what to wear stress me out and all the training and the actual challenge of a triathlon don't.

Any info you could share would be a huge help.
2007-05-25 1:46 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Brett, I'm fairly new to BT and would like to know if I could get into your Group?
My name is Stuart and I have never competed in a triathlon, but can hardly wait! I have been soaking up all the advice I can thru BT, however I definately could use your guidance.
I have a solid background in martial arts, powerlifting,swimming and nutrition so if I can help in any way I will try.
My goals are to eventually compete in a sprint or olympic tri depending how my training progresses, for now I am a wanta- be until I can afford a descent bike or hand me down. I have been in some kind of traing most of my life, tri training only for two months! Endurance training is a whole neew thing for me but I am 40 now and i think this is what I need,sure could use your help. Thanks!

2007-05-29 9:15 AM

User image

Elite

Joy, I'll try and spell out answers to those questions (or give you links to them Embarassed) in the next day or two.

Stu, welcome aboard... my sport progression went martial arts -> powerlifting -> rugby -> triathlon so we followed a pretty similar path... although I need to get back into some of the contact sports to scratch the itch.

For both of you, make sure you are logging your workouts as much as possible.  It's obviously much tougher for me to throw "inspires" your way or offer feedback if I don't know what you're up to.  Hope everyone had a good memorial day weekend.

bts

2007-05-29 6:49 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Thanks for the welcome Brett! I am still getting the hang of the BT log. I have made some wrong entries and(posted actual when it was planned) and also need to sort BT training program template(I can only work out 4-days a week compared to six days shown on program ). I am working out TU/TH/SAT SUN, I am strength training TU/TH/SAT and combining swim/run, bike/run. swim/bike so that I do two days training of each discipline within those four days. Could you let me know what you will be looking at so I can start to get in order?
2007-05-30 11:35 AM

New user

Can a slow slug from Northern CA join?

I am Dan, I am nuts because I am going to try and do a triathlon on June 9th. I ride my bike 18 miles (riding home from work) 2-3 times a week and have started to run at lunch 2-3 miles every M-W-F. The swimming is what is going to kill me.

The June 9th Tri is a .5/16/3. Any suggestions on how to survive the swim?

Also what do you suggest to wear? (I am not going to try a wetsuit as the water should be above 70)

Thanks

Dan
2007-05-30 3:50 PM

User image

Texas
Hi Brett,

I am interesting in joining your group if there is still room left. I'm very new to BT.com and I guess to triathlons in general and am looking for as much help as I can find.

I am a lifelong Texas kid who just graduated from college. As far as athletic backgrounds go, I have played sports all my life and I played 2 years of college volleyball at the D1 level. I have been consistently running for the last 2 years, and unconsistantly biking and swimming. I suppose I'm looking for something new to consume my time.

As far as goals, I would like to try a sprint marathon sometime this fall (and maybe more than one, if things are going well). I haven't picked any specific ones yet though.

Also, I'm still in the process of setting up a log (I haven't gotten around to playing with that feature of the site yet)...

Anyways, if u have room in your group, I'd love to join.
2007-05-31 10:51 PM

User image

Elite

Katie & Dan, welcome aboard.  Good to have you.  And good job on the logs.  In my opinion that's one of the single most important things in sticking with this.  It's also invaluable in terms of looking and and ironing out problems.

More later, it's wicked late.

bts 

2007-06-06 8:54 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Hey Brett, Thanks for the note on my log. I think its screwed up on my end, I have all my weight traing plugged into actual as well as planned. I work 75+ a week so im still tweaking my workout but I will have it all dialed in soon.
I am having some serious challenges with my training and sure could use your advice. It appears that I am getting runners knee and not sure what to do. Swim and bike feels really good and at times I really feel like pushing faster or further but am sticking with guidelines in my program until I get more experience. I have never been a big runner but had some people at the track nearby look at my run, I sure could use help on my form which I will seek out possibly by joining running club, however I am not sure what to do in the meantime with my training. Should I start from scratch with a beginner run program, or walk until knees get better, or just reduce time running. I am not sure so could you please offer advice?

2007-06-10 10:32 AM
in reply to: #833339

User image

Elite

nevergivin - 2007-06-06 7:54 PM Should I start from scratch with a beginner run program, or walk until knees get better, or just reduce time running. I am not sure so could you please offer advice?

Without a bit more information on the intensity/frequency/degree of the pain it's tough to say (and even then it's not easy) I would ease up on your miles.  Cut by 50%, but keep the intensity up (more intervals/speedwork).  At the same time, replace some of that lost run time with an extra swim and/or bike or two.  I've seen numerous cases of people who have running related injuries doing the majority of thier training on the other two events and doing fine in the race.  It's not ideal, but certainly doable. 

bts 

2007-06-10 10:52 AM

User image

Elite

Here are joyjoy's questions from her previous mentor group, answers posted for everyone's benefit.

Questions to bring me out of the forest of ignorance:

1. For my event, Irongirls Columbia Triathlon (http://www.irongirl.com/columbia/index-columbia.html), wetsuits are not allowed for the swim. I am assuming I should just wear my regular swimsuit, but once I am out of the water, am I supposed to just change in the tranistion area into some tri-specific clothing?

2. What actually happens in the transition areas, and how long should I spend in each one?

3. To supplement my training, is it better to pruchase the training program sponsored by the race or is joining a local triathlon club enough?

4. Can I actually pull this off, or am I crazy for trying?

1. There are countless opinions on this. You can do a search on "tri clothing" and similiar word combinations and get countless different takes. What it boils down to is basically you can where whatever you're most comfortable in. There are tri-specific swimsuits for women that have a mild amount of padding for the bike so that you don't have to change throughout the course of the race. Check out trisports.com for a variety of choices.

2. Lots and as fast as you can. If you check out race results you'll see that you hurry through pretty quickly. Check out this link for a reasonable example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybh8QbpEPlQ

Be careful if viewing at work, the cameraman is a bit vulgar, but nothing too bad. This is overall about an average pace. You can see from the camera time that he was in and out in about a minute. With your first tri you can expect to go a bit longer than that. For more advice make sure you are checking out the beginner articles, here's one of my favorite basic ones.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=206

3. I wouldn't sweat purchasing a plan from the race. The free plans here or advice from the local club should be more than enough.

4. You've got this. You'll do great.

bts

Edited by Brett 2007-06-10 10:53 AM
2007-06-11 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Hi Brett,
I'm a 3-month-old on BT.com (32 in real life )and am currently training for my first sprint tri in September.... The longest I have run is a 4-mi leg in the Philly marathon relay last year, and can muscle my way through a 5K (with some major gasping at the end). I LOVE to bike - so I thought, OK well if I hit the pool, I can do this. SO, I am doing this training to:

1-get in shape(I am carrying an extra ~50 lbs, which I have carried my whole life basically)
2-get in shape cuz I had a DVT in my leg earlier this year, and realized I need to continue with my exercise program
3- set a goal, because that seems to get me to the gym.
4- just be able to say I am a triathlete!

So far, I am finishing up month 2 of the 20 wk sprint training program and I am feeling really good about it. I have made some really good progress in the pool - finally hit the 500 yard mark. For me, the hardest part will be the run - I think I have cement in my feet. I have always been that way..... who knows. Maybe if I lost some weight it would be easier (what a novel idea!!)

Anyway, I'd love to join your mentor group. I am constantly marveling at other peoples pages where they have these amazing goals of IM's!! So it would be nice to have someone specific to talk to.... plus you and the other people in this group seem pretty cool!!

Thanks!
Jen
2007-06-12 10:59 PM

User image

Texas
Hi Brent!!

Had a great weekend, thanks for the inspiration

Anyways, I had a question but I figured it would be better to post it than to reply through the log... I was wondering if it matters which order I work out in, ie. weights first then run/bike/swim train or vice versa. I normally do endurance training before I lift, but I think i read somewhere that you are supposed to do it in the other order? Does it matter, would there be any benefit to that order?
2007-06-12 11:52 PM

User image

Elite

Jen, welcome aboard, it's good to have you, it seems we have a nice diverse group from just about every corner of the country.  It sounds like you're on the right track and hopefully we can pull you along.

Katie, to answer your question... it depends.  In your case, you've got it right.  Traditionally the answer to that question is "you do whatever is most important to your goals first."  Since endurance is your focus then you want to do your endurance work when you're freshest.  That's not to say that you can't throw in a hardcore strength session first every week or so, just keep in mind what your focus is and expend most of your energy there.

bts 

2007-06-13 7:36 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Brett, thanks for the advice about my training. It apears that my knee soreness is right at the joint on both knees(more so twards the inside), and it seems to become sore from both cycling and running(way more from the running). I have increased my distance in swimming and cycling like you suggested, and have been Icing my knees daily because it seems to be helping greatly, and have been including more stretches each workout as well as really focusing on form when cycling and running. I have cut back my running slightly(5%) but am using an eliptical trainer on running days. I was thinking about doing short sprints on grass to work on form and strength two days a week, do you think this would help my run? My frustration level with my knees seems to be tapering with the fact that I can definately see an overall improvement with my training, heart rate is lowering each workout as distances increase , I think it's all good?
2007-06-14 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Hello! Thanks for letting me into Team Brett.  Laughing

I had my 'long' swim this morning, and was wondering about my training - whether I am doing the right type of drills:

I'm training for a tri where I'll swim 0.5 miles.  I am pretty sure that I'll be able to finish this, since I'm up to swimming 600 Yd all at once.  I took swimming lessons and was taugt about 'pyramids' where you do sets of 25's, sets of 50's, a 100, sets of 50's and sets of 25's.    Should I work more on the pyramids, increasing to sets of 50s', sets of 100's , 200, sets of 100s, etc, or just keep swimming the race distance ??

2007-06-14 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Oh, and one more question.  I have noticed this week that when I am sitting at my desk, my leg muscles are achey.  Not like a medical issue achey, but like I can't sit still and need to stretch and walk around.  I'll get up and stretch a little, but it keeps coming back.

Is this normal?  Is it just from the increased amount of exercise I'm doing?  I mean, I have always worked out, but I am doing it much more regularly and maybe a little more intenstiy than in the past.  thoughts, anyone??

2007-06-14 5:58 PM
in reply to: #844648

User image

Modesto, California
JenO, I drive 10-13 hours a day and have to stretch and walk around in short spurts throughout the day. I am on a sprint training program and am still getting used to all the leg fatigue from my overall training, perhaps I never will. If your schedule does not allow frequent stretching from muscle stiffness maybe Icy Hot (no scent) would help. Just remember increased training should be balance with equal attention to rest and nutrition, that aspect is often neglected and important for recovery between workouts.
2007-06-16 6:19 PM
in reply to: #844040

User image

Elite

Jen, regarding swim workouts I prefer to focus a reasonable part of my (exceptionally rare) swim workouts on drills to keep form sharp.  Unlike the other two events, a huge part of swimming depends on good form.  What is the average yardage for one of your workouts?

An example of one of mine might look like this:

300 W/U

10 x 50 on working various drills (catch-ups, fist drills, finger drags, etc)

3x400 with decreasing intervals

5x50 form focused sprints

300 C/D

Total Yardage: ~2500

While you can certainly add or subtract easily to modify the total length I wouldn't worry too much about pyramids if you're already able to swim the total distance you're looking to complete in the race.  Looking at your swim workouts in your log, I'd say you're pretty much on the right track.

As for the lingering soreness, that's probably a mild version of what's called DOMS, Delayed Onset Muscle Sorness.  It's realtively common in weight lifting or any sport that calls on extreme efforts.  The increase in your intensity is the likely culprit.  As long as it's a soreness and not a sharp pain, then feel free to think of it as your body getting stronger. Laughing

bts 

2007-06-16 6:26 PM
in reply to: #842185

User image

Elite

nevergivin - 2007-06-13 6:36 AM Brett, thanks for the advice about my training. It apears that my knee soreness is right at the joint on both knees(more so twards the inside), and it seems to become sore from both cycling and running(way more from the running). I have increased my distance in swimming and cycling like you suggested, and have been Icing my knees daily because it seems to be helping greatly, and have been including more stretches each workout as well as really focusing on form when cycling and running. I have cut back my running slightly(5%) but am using an eliptical trainer on running days. I was thinking about doing short sprints on grass to work on form and strength two days a week, do you think this would help my run? My frustration level with my knees seems to be tapering with the fact that I can definately see an overall improvement with my training, heart rate is lowering each workout as distances increase , I think it's all good?

I'm a little worried by the fact that it your knees have similar problems with both biking and running.  I'm not sure if I'm understanding where you're saying the pain is, but it sounds a bit like ITBS (Iliotibial band syndrome).  Check the link here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

If you think this might be the case then a sports med doc would be far more qualified to give advice on that than I.

It sounds like it's improving and hopefully even if it is ITBS it's minor and already resolving itself.  Keep up the ice regimen, but if it persists, definitely see a doc.

bts 

2007-06-17 5:02 PM
in reply to: #837591

New user
Thanks for answering my questions, this is a huge help. On top of this, I got a chance to chat with a woman who had completed several local tris. She gave me some great advice and I was able to come up with a decent swim plan. I am going to freestyle and swim backstroke when I get tired. This way I don't have to stop. I know this will seem more complicated to most people, but to me it solves a huge concern.

Hope everyone has a great week of training.

Edited by joyjoy 2007-06-17 5:02 PM
2007-06-19 12:27 PM

User image

Brett,

Is there still room in this group? I would like to join.

I just got the wild hair to do a tri a couple of weeks ago and have started training for it. I commute on my bike most days of the week, so that is 30+ miles a day. I found a masters swim group here in Reno and have started swimming with them. I am trying to get a run in every now and then. I have already been logging my workouts in the training log.

My name is Jeremy Bryan, I am 34 years old. Have done a little of everything in life. Coming off a pretty heavy weight-lifting routine, so I don't really have a typical tri body. 5'10", 240 lbs. Probably about 17-18% bf.

Looking forward to my first "super sprint tri" in August. (400 yd swim, 8 mi. bike, 2 mi run). I think this would be a good first try to see what it is like. I think I should be able to do those distances.

Jeremy
2007-06-19 3:14 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Brett's Group - All Full Up
After completeing my first TRI on 6/9 I took a week of from training to let my body get back into order. I am about to get back into the swing of things. My next TRI is Eppies Great Race which is not a traditional TRI it is a run-bike-kayak. 6-18-6. I need to make sure I am up to the run part. I however lost my running partner due layoffs at work. So I need to get back out there running by my self. This makes the runs much harder. I think I need to get my self up to being able to do at least 5 miles 3 times a week. I hopefully will get there. The race is July 21st.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brett's Group - All Full Up Rss Feed  

of 4