Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-06-20 9:34 PM
in reply to: #847108

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Subject: RE: Brett's Group - Open

Thanks for the swim training tips!! I have my first OWS tomorrow....  wish me luck 

2007-06-20 11:22 PM
in reply to: #850702

User image

Elite

Jeremy, welcome to the group.  I'm beat so I'll talk more later, just wanted to let you know that we'd be happy to have you.  Good work to everyone else.

bts 

2007-06-21 9:10 PM
in reply to: #853596

User image

Veteran
Delaware

OWS today.  As I said in my blog, 'Holy Freakin Crap!' Surprised.  That was quite an experience.  For the first 150 mt it was as if I hadn't actually been swimming for the past 4 months.  I couldn't get my rhythm to breathe every 3 stroke - - partially because I was nervous, and partially because I would be in warm water and then hit a cool pocket, which would take my breath away. 

OK I think what I need help with - first off- is sighting.  I tried, and it totally messed up any sort of rhythm I had built.   Second, this sounds silly - is it useful to swim with my eyes closed in the pool , to better prepare myself to swimming in murky water?  (really, I missed those pristine white tiles that I usually stare at!!)  It was hard to ignore the darkness!!

Anyway...  I heard that the first OWS is not usually enjoyable.  I am glad I got it over with!!  It's only up from here!!

And, it's nice to have the 'new' people to the group! Welcome!! (although I am a late joiner myself!)

2007-06-23 11:00 PM
in reply to: #847651

User image

Elite

joyjoy - 2007-06-17 4:02 PM Thanks for answering my questions, this is a huge help. On top of this, I got a chance to chat with a woman who had completed several local tris. She gave me some great advice and I was able to come up with a decent swim plan. I am going to freestyle and swim backstroke when I get tired. This way I don't have to stop. I know this will seem more complicated to most people, but to me it solves a huge concern. Hope everyone has a great week of training.

You might want to consider breast stroke to break-up the front crawl.  That way you don't have to keep flipping over to see where you're going and the breast stroke has the built in sighting.  

bts 

2007-06-23 11:02 PM
in reply to: #850702

User image

Elite

jer2wcs - 2007-06-19 11:27 AM Brett, Is there still room in this group? I would like to join. I just got the wild hair to do a tri a couple of weeks ago and have started training for it. I commute on my bike most days of the week, so that is 30+ miles a day. I found a masters swim group here in Reno and have started swimming with them. I am trying to get a run in every now and then. I have already been logging my workouts in the training log. My name is Jeremy Bryan, I am 34 years old. Have done a little of everything in life. Coming off a pretty heavy weight-lifting routine, so I don't really have a typical tri body. 5'10", 240 lbs. Probably about 17-18% bf. Looking forward to my first "super sprint tri" in August. (400 yd swim, 8 mi. bike, 2 mi run). I think this would be a good first try to see what it is like. I think I should be able to do those distances. Jeremy

J,

It sounds like we come from similar backgrounds.  Actually it sounds like we're built about the same too.  I walked around at just over 6' in the 240s in my heavier lifting days.

It sounds like you've got a good plan and you're working well within yourself.  Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to keep you on track.

bts 

2007-06-23 11:09 PM
in reply to: #855253

User image

Elite
JenO Trigirl - 2007-06-21 8:10 PM

OWS today. As I said in my blog, 'Holy Freakin Crap!' Surprised. That was quite an experience. For the first 150 mt it was as if I hadn't actually been swimming for the past 4 months. I couldn't get my rhythm to breathe every 3 stroke - - partially because I was nervous, and partially because I would be in warm water and then hit a cool pocket, which would take my breath away.

OK I think what I need help with - first off- is sighting. I tried, and it totally messed up any sort of rhythm I had built. Second, this sounds silly - is it useful to swim with my eyes closed in the pool , to better prepare myself to swimming in murky water? (really, I missed those pristine white tiles that I usually stare at!!) It was hard to ignore the darkness!!

Anyway... I heard that the first OWS is not usually enjoyable. I am glad I got it over with!! It's only up from here!!

And, it's nice to have the 'new' people to the group! Welcome!! (although I am a late joiner myself!)

I don't know too many people who hopped in the lake/ocean for the first time and said "oh it's just like the pool".  It sounds like you're keeping a good attitude about it, so you're on the right track.

Once you get used to it, you migth find that you're actually faster in open water (assuming the conditions aren't too rough), that's how it usually is for me.  But there are lots of challenges that you'll overcome with practice.  Not only is there the discomfort and nerves, you also have to deal with sighting, that you can practice easily enough in the pool.  In addition, you might have to alter your stroke to get your hand/elbow up higher so that it doesn't clip the chops.

The two things you can do to deal with the visibility are:

1.  As you mentioned, swim a length here and there with your eyes closed to see if you have a natural pull in one direction or the other.  

2.  Most importantly, practice sighting.  Pop your head up every 8-10 strokes.  This is a bigger deal because no matter how straight you swim, in the open water, you are at the will of the currents.

Overall great job, keep it up.

bts 

2007-06-24 11:17 AM
in reply to: #804692

User image

Texas
Subject: RE: Brett's Group - All Full Up
So I have a random question... Can you run with an mp3 player in a race?
2007-06-24 12:06 PM
in reply to: #857439

User image

Elite

kt_grl11 - 2007-06-24 10:17 AM So I have a random question... Can you run with an mp3 player in a race?

Nope (assuming we're talking about just tris).  Too many safety concerns, especially on the bike.  For a complete list of rules, see here:

http://www.usatriathlon.org/Events/Rules.aspx

It has the rules, but also take a look at the "Most Common Violations" section, which is a much easier read than the entire rulebook.

bts 

2007-06-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: #857250

User image

Brett - 2007-06-23 9:02 PM
It sounds like we come from similar backgrounds. Actually it sounds like we're built about the same too. I walked around at just over 6' in the 240s in my heavier lifting days.

It sounds like you've got a good plan and you're working well within yourself. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to keep you on track.

bts

The similar backgrounds is kind of why I chose this group. I was hoping you would have endured some of the same experiences that I will be going through.

With that said, I sink like a rock. All this muscle I have built doesn't really lend itself to swimming. The coach at the masters group keeps telling me it will get easier after a couple of weeks. Is this true?

Running is hard. I'm slow. If I run a 10:00 mile I am flying. Any suggestions? Will this get easier also?

Biking is where my strength lies. My tree-trunk legs can power me just about anywhere.

Thanks for the input.

Jer

Edited by jer2wcs 2007-06-26 3:13 PM
2007-06-25 4:19 PM
in reply to: #857454

User image

Brett - 2007-06-24 10:06 AM

take a look at the "Most Common Violations" section, which is a much easier read than the entire rulebook.

This section talks about how the helmet must not be modified. I have reflective stickers on my bike helmet because I use it for commuting in traffic. Is this a problem?

Thanks,

Jer

Edited by jer2wcs 2007-06-25 11:17 PM
2007-06-26 3:18 PM

User image

Brett, sorry for all the questions but I have another one.

Considering my lifting history, should this be something I should continue to do in addition to my current swim, bike, run program? I know lifting is usually suggested, but I was wondering if it would be detrimental to my triathlon progress considering my body mass.

With that said, it would be nice to maintain my strength gains I have made in the last year.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jer

2007-06-26 7:26 PM

New user
Thanks for the tip on the breast stroke, unfortunately I had to choose between running and learning the appropriate kick (previous knee problems) and running won out. It looks like I might not have to use the backstroke, since my endurance for the freestyle continues to improve. It is really a comfort thing, knowing I have the backstroke in my arsenal makes me feel less anxious overall, which is really all I am after.

Just as an FYI, I try to log all my workouts at the end of the week. Last week was just horrible, the allergic reaction just completely threw me off. But on a happy note, my running drastically improved, so all is not lost.

Hope everyone's training is going well.
2007-06-27 9:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Once you get used to it, you migth find that you're actually faster in open water (assuming the conditions aren't too rough), that's how it usually is for me. 

Hey Brett- wow, really?!?  is this because there's no turning at the end of lanes in open water?  Or maybe the currents?

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and tips for my next OWS.  I tried a little bit of swimming wtih my eyes closed and sighting today during cooldown, and noticed that I kept hittng the right side of the lane.  It's a totally different experience to swim when you have no bearings.  I am thankful to have realized that before an official race!!

Have a good day!

2007-06-27 10:13 PM
in reply to: #861387

User image

Elite

jer2wcs - 2007-06-26 2:18 PM  Considering my lifting history, should this be something I should continue to do in addition to my current swim, bike, run program? I know lifting is usually suggested, but I was wondering if it would be detrimental to my triathlon progress considering my body mass. With that said, it would be nice to maintain my strength gains I have made in the last year. Any advice?

Basically, you have to pick your priorities.  Which is more important to you the powerlifters trifecta of 300-400-500?  Or a 2:35 Oly distance tri? 

Another way to think of it is this: back in my martial arts/wrestling days, my coach would say that everything else being equal, the bigger guy wins.  Well in tri's, it's the opposite.  All else being equal, the lighter guy is probably gonna win (this is especially true on a hilly course).

That isn't to say you can't do both, however typically you have to sacrifice one for another.  Don't get me wrong, you can still be really strong and a good triathlete, especially at the sprint distances (and even up to oly to some extent).  However you'll find if you venture much longer that the training and distances required will cut into your strength training (which is part of the reason I've never done longer than an Oly).

This section talks about how the helmet must not be modified. I have reflective stickers on my bike helmet because I use it for commuting in traffic. Is this a problem?

Nah, they're talking about mods like shaving it down to make it more aerodynamic and the like.  If anything they should be greatful that you have extra decals for visibility.

And ask all the questions you like, that's what I'm here for.

bts 

2007-06-27 10:16 PM
in reply to: #861739

User image

Elite

joyjoy - 2007-06-26 6:26 PM Thanks for the tip on the breast stroke, unfortunately I had to choose between running and learning the appropriate kick (previous knee problems) and running won out. It looks like I might not have to use the backstroke, since my endurance for the freestyle continues to improve. It is really a comfort thing, knowing I have the backstroke in my arsenal makes me feel less anxious overall, which is really all I am after. Just as an FYI, I try to log all my workouts at the end of the week. Last week was just horrible, the allergic reaction just completely threw me off. But on a happy note, my running drastically improved, so all is not lost. Hope everyone's training is going well.

I guess if the frog kick will blow out your knee they you probably shouldn't do it, eh Sealed  It shouldn't be too difficult to barrel roll from one to the other I imagine.

Hope the allergies ease up on you.

bts 

2007-06-27 10:19 PM
in reply to: #863748

User image

Elite
JenO Trigirl - 2007-06-27 8:33 PM

Once you get used to it, you migth find that you're actually faster in open water (assuming the conditions aren't too rough), that's how it usually is for me.

Hey Brett- wow, really?!? is this because there's no turning at the end of lanes in open water? Or maybe the currents?

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and tips for my next OWS. I tried a little bit of swimming wtih my eyes closed and sighting today during cooldown, and noticed that I kept hittng the right side of the lane. It's a totally different experience to swim when you have no bearings. I am thankful to have realized that before an official race!!

Have a good day!

Mostly the "no turns" thing. It feels fast when you're driving off the wall, but the coming to a complete stop and reseting takes up a lot of time, especially if you don't have a really good flip turn.

Not surprising on the uneven swimming. Lots of folks are right-side dominant, especially if you always breathe to the right (it probably makes your stroke longer). Try bilateral breathing drills if you aren't already.

bts

Edited by Brett 2007-06-27 10:20 PM

2007-06-27 10:28 PM
in reply to: #859529

User image

Elite

Ooops, almost missed this one.

jer2wcs - 2007-06-25 3:08 PMThe similar backgrounds is kind of why I chose this group. I was hoping you would have endured some of the same experiences that I will be going through. With that said, I sink like a rock. All this muscle I have built doesn't really lend itself to swimming. The coach at the masters group keeps telling me it will get easier after a couple of weeks. Is this true?

Yes, while you'll hear lots of different stats, swimming is probably 75% technique.  If you don't have good technique you could be a world class <insert endurance sport here> and you'll still flail around in the pool like a drunken, one armed orangutang.  Once you get the technique down it gets much, MUCH easier.  If you look at my logs you'll probably notice that I hardly ever swim.  When I first got into tri's I was swimming 3+ hours a week (and I was already a fairly decent swimmer).  After 2 years of that I had the technique down cold and the return on investment wasn't really worth it.  For my last Oly tri I think I had a total of three pool sessions, none more than an hour, and I went under 30 minutes in the swim feeling fine.  It comes, and once it does, you'll wonder what you were worried about in the first place.

Running is hard. I'm slow. If I run a 10:00 mile I am flying. Any suggestions? Will this get easier also? Biking is where my strength lies. My tree-trunk legs can power me just about anywhere. Thanks for the input. Jer

Same with the swimming, but I won't lie, at 240, running is always gonna suck a lot.  That's why I typically drop down to 210-220 for racing season.  A lot of it goes back to my other post about your priorities, if it's more important to you to carry around that mass, it's okay, but you just have to know there's a price to be paid.

Focus on interval training as much as possible.  Until you're looking at Oly type distances, LSD runs are overrated.  Do your long workouts on your bike until you're more comfortable and adept at the run.

bts 

2007-06-28 8:42 AM

New user

Sorry for being a non-factor here in th group. I have had job issues that have kept me from doing much of anything else.

My biggest issue is the swim also. I need to make sure that I am able to do some open water swims before my next traditional TRI in august. My first Tri las month I could not make it the 1/2 mile doing freestyle and had to switch to breast stroke. (Which was faster than some peoples free style) Any suggestions on getting the shoulders ready for the swim when you are not able to get to the pool.

Thanks

2007-06-28 7:46 PM

New user
I should learn to try things before I say they won't work. I tried a modified breast stroke (regular kick instead of frog) during my swim, it worked a lot better than the backstroke. I was much more efficient in the pool and was able to push myself a bit harder during the crawl. Brett you were sooo right. I bet you hear that a lot.
2007-06-28 7:54 PM
in reply to: #864079

User image

Elite

basuraman - 2007-06-28 7:42 AM Sorry for being a non-factor here in th group. I have had job issues that have kept me from doing much of anything else. My biggest issue is the swim also. I need to make sure that I am able to do some open water swims before my next traditional TRI in august. My first Tri las month I could not make it the 1/2 mile doing freestyle and had to switch to breast stroke. (Which was faster than some peoples free style) Any suggestions on getting the shoulders ready for the swim when you are not able to get to the pool. Thanks

I wish there was an easy fix for that, but I'm afraid not.  Once you get the swimming form down, most of the energy is generated in your hips and core.  I suppose if I had to name one to work on your back I'd say you could try high rep/low weight pullovers on the machine.

Good luck with getting the job sorted out and getting back on the horse.  Ya gotta take care of the base needs first, eh.

bts 

2007-06-28 7:56 PM
in reply to: #865288

User image

Elite

joyjoy - 2007-06-28 6:46 PM Brett you were sooo right. I bet you hear that a lot.

So much so that I've resorted to making this face when I hear it: Undecided  I mean seriously, if I had a nickel for everytime some had to admit that to me, I'd have... about 30 cents.

bts 

2007-06-29 9:35 AM

User image

Ok, another question...

So most of the events that I am looking at offer an age group as well as Clydesdale divisions. Do I have to pick one or the other or can I do both? Obviously, at 240 (creeping to 235) I would probably be better comparing myself to other heavier guys. The first couple of events will just focus on:

1. not drowning
2. finishing
3. not finishing last

Here is the first event I am looking at doing at the end of August:

http://www.tbfracing.com/events/supersprint.html

Seems like a good starter race to get the feel for how things work.

Thanks,

Jer

2007-06-29 9:49 AM

New user

Jer..

I just did my first race this month. It was one of TBF tri for fun races. It was a blast. The race seemed to by well organized and well attended. If you have any Rancho Seco/ Sacramento logistics questions let me know. good luck.
2007-07-02 2:04 PM
in reply to: #865800

User image

Elite

jer2wcs - 2007-06-29 8:35 AM Ok, another question... So most of the events that I am looking at offer an age group as well as Clydesdale divisions. Do I have to pick one or the other or can I do both? Obviously, at 240 (creeping to 235) I would probably be better comparing myself to other heavier guys. The first couple of events will just focus on: 1. not drowning 2. finishing 3. not finishing last Here is the first event I am looking at doing at the end of August: http://www.tbfracing.com/events/supersprint.htmlSeems like a good starter race to get the feel for how things work. Thanks, Jer

If you do a search of the word "clydesdale" in the forums, you will find a number of spirited debates as to whether or not you should enter the division (or if there should even be one).

Being a 200+ type, I enter in that category if there is one, but I don't actively seek out just events that have the category.  No harm either way, and depending on the race you'll notice in the results that the Clydes winner would have been competitive in their age group.

To answer your question, no, you can't do both at the same time, you gotta go one way or the other.

bts

2007-07-02 5:52 PM

User image

Texas
So...I got to thinking today about swimming, and I know I go to the pool with no real plan as to what I should be doing. I took swimming lessons as a kid so I can do the basics: freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke... but other than that I have no idea? So I guess my first question is whether I should just focus on swimming the distance that I will be doing in the race? Should I work on swimming a little over the distance to account for unknown factors such as wind, etc? Also, what would be considered a decent time (not amazing, but not completely sucky) for swimming a .5 mile?

I also have a question about wetsuits... I'm thinking about entering the longhorn tri (sprint version), and the water is 76-80 degrees F-- so I think that means that I will have to wear a wetsuit? So, where is a good place to buy a wetsuit- I know they are expensive, but I'm not looking to spend too much on one? And, are the wetsuits you wear in a tri specific to tri sports (can they be uesd for other things like diving?). And I guess which styles are the best- eg: sleeveless vs. sleeves?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brett's Group - All Full Up Rss Feed  

of 4