BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brett's Group - All Full Up Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-07-26 6:59 PM
in reply to: #804692

New user
Subject: RE: Brett's Group - All Full Up
I can't get off work to do the trial swim, I am bummed but I am not letting it get to me. On a happier note, I am doing much better in the pool, I can swim all my laps doing the crawl/freestyle. I am going to put my bike in the shop on Sunday so I can have it all tuned up for the race, with plenty of time to ride it before hand to make sure it is ok. Hopefully I can live a week without my bike, I guess I will have to supplement with mountain biking until I get her back. The big day is officially less than a month away. I am excited and ready for it to all be over.

2007-07-28 12:24 PM
in reply to: #903164

User image

Elite

joyjoy - 2007-07-26 5:59 PM I can't get off work to do the trial swim, I am bummed but I am not letting it get to me. On a happier note, I am doing much better in the pool, I can swim all my laps doing the crawl/freestyle. I am going to put my bike in the shop on Sunday so I can have it all tuned up for the race, with plenty of time to ride it before hand to make sure it is ok. Hopefully I can live a week without my bike, I guess I will have to supplement with mountain biking until I get her back. The big day is officially less than a month away. I am excited and ready for it to all be over.

That or just make it an extra big swim/run week.  Either way you shouldn't lose much from just a week off.  The pay off from not having something rot or fall apart on you is certainly worth it.

bts

2007-07-30 6:36 PM

User image

So, my first tri is coming up later this month.

What is the event going to expect me to bring (besides the obvious)?

What is a race belt? Will I need one? Will I get a number for my bike and a separate number for the run? I'm really confused about the whole paper number situation. Aren't the big black numbers written on your arms and legs enough?

Will they give me a swim cap? If they do, do I have to wear it?

Thanks!
2007-07-31 12:31 AM
in reply to: #907412

User image

Elite

jer2wcs - 2007-07-30 5:36 PM So, my first tri is coming up later this month. What is the event going to expect me to bring (besides the obvious)? What is a race belt? Will I need one? Will I get a number for my bike and a separate number for the run? I'm really confused about the whole paper number situation. Aren't the big black numbers written on your arms and legs enough? Will they give me a swim cap? If they do, do I have to wear it? Thanks!

A lot of the answers to those are "it depends" but I'll do my best.  Really you're not expected to bring anything besides (what I think) is the obvious. 

A race belt is basically a strip of spandex that you attach your race number to.  It's handy for a number of reasons, but not a necessity.  Depending on the race you may or may not have to have a number on you when you bike.  A lot of races have a number for the bike and that suffices for the bike portion, however typically you are required to have the race number displayed during the run.  The race belt eliminates the hassle by letting you snap it on and spin the number to the back on the bike so it's out of the way and then spin it around to the front for the run.

As for swim caps, generally if it's a wave start, you're expected to wear it (to keep you from sneaking into an earlier field) if it's a mass start, then the RD will probably be less inclined to care.  However there is also the safety factor.  The caps are usually highly visible (at least compared to wet hair) and allows life guards to identify potential problems early.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck.

bts

2007-08-03 5:59 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Brett, at my race next month will my race chip take all of my split times including T-1 & T-2. If not what is the simple method to do this without forgetting as I will probably do at my first race.
2007-08-03 6:45 PM

User image

Also, is it a good idea to fork out the extra dough for the race chip when you join USAT?

2007-08-11 7:22 PM
in reply to: #913127

User image

Elite

Sorry for the long delays, guys, been out and about on vacation...

jer2wcs - 2007-08-03 5:45 PM Also, is it a good idea to fork out the extra dough for the race chip when you join USAT?

I wouldn't sweat it.  It's just something else to lose.  Unless you become hyper involved in rankings, etc.

nevergivin - 2007-08-03 4:59 PM Brett, at my race next month will my race chip take all of my split times including T-1 & T-2. If not what is the simple method to do this without forgetting as I will probably do at my first race.

That depends on the race and where the mats are set up.  I typically hit the split button on my watch a few steps out of the water, right before I mount, a few steps after I dismount, and soon as I start running so I have a more accurate representation of exactly how fast I was going in each discipline.

bts 

2007-08-13 11:31 AM

User image

Ok, so I am now an UN-official triathlete. I am two weeks out from my first event so I took the liberty of running my own personal triathlon here at a local swimming hole. I had my wife sit in the shade under a tree next to my transition area. Every time I tapped her on the head she would record my time.

I did this for a number of reasons. First, I wanted to get an open water swim in before the big day. Second, I wanted to test out my wetsuit. Third, I wanted to prove to myself that I will be able to do it without dying, freaking out, etc.

SWIM:
So the wetsuit I am wearing is really thick as it is a scuba diving suit. I am just wearing the full john part so my arms are totally free to move. It worked wonderfully in that there is no way for me to drown with it on. It is perfectly buoyant and keeps me on the surface, even if I flip over on my back and pant like a dog.

The swim was *hard*. I was used to a wall to stop and push off of after 50 yards. There were several times I had to stop and float to catch my breath. ~400 yards in a whopping 19:52.

T1:
I realized that I will need a water bottle to wash the crud off my feet. I had to run to the shower to rinse the sand off my feet before I put my socks and shoes on. I realize this luxury won't normally be available to me. All in all not bad at 2:31.

BIKE:
As I was riding out of the park I took one of those energy gels. I had never tried one before and I wanted to see how my body reacted to them. All I can say is, NOT GOOD. I felt like I was going to hack for the first 3 miles or so. Overall the bike was pretty good. My arms really hurt and it was hard to hold myself up on the handlebars.

The route I rode was through very heavy traffic and I hit quite a few stop lights. 8.52 miles in 35.03 for an average of 15.5 mph.

T2:
Since I don't have clipless pedals yet, this was easy. Hop off the bike, put on hat and go. 1:04

RUN:
I took it pretty easy on the run. 1.75 miles in 19:30. I walked quite a few times, but at that point I was just proving to myself that I could finish.

TOTAL TIME: 1:18 for 400 yd swim, 8.5 mile bike, and 1.75 mile run.

OBSERVATIONS:
The wetsuit worked great, but it was hard to get off. I even had BodyGlide on. It came off easy until it came to getting my feet out, then it got kind of stuck. I am going to have to figure that out.

The gel and Gatorade combination was waaaaaaaaaay to sweet for me. I am going to need regular water in my bottles and then figure something out for the refueling.

I'll write up an official report after my first sprint in two weeks.

Thanks to everyone for the info and support.

Jer
2007-08-20 5:11 PM

New user
Official Race Report -- Iron Girl Columbia, August 19, 2007

Well I am officially an Iron Girl, and now I am totally hooked on triathlon. I finished on Sunday five minutes under my goal time in 3:25:02. I was totally freaked out the morning of, so much so that my cousin had to threaten to call my brother if I chickened out. Thank goodness she was there, because without her I probably would have given up and driven back home.

The swim did not go as planned, not even close. I had a complete panic attack when we were told to go. I could not pull the free style together, at one point I thought I was going to drown. Luckily for me (not so much for my family since I aged them all by ten years) I am super stubborn (or stupid, depending on who you ask) and quitting was not an option. So I did what my original plan was, and back stroked the entire swim. It was a lot easier to sight the buoys than I thought it would be. I made up all of my time floundering in the water and finished the swim in 48 minutes. Not my best time by a long shot, but I was just happy to make the cut off time. My cousin said when I got out of the water that I looked mighty pissed, and I was. Since the hard part was over I could relax, since biking and running are two things I know I can do without incident.

The first transition was short, I got to my bike threw on my tri shorts, socks and shoes, poured my Gatorade into my bottle and took off. My official bike time is 1:35, but ten minutes of that I spent trying to help another participant change a flat tire. I felt bad because I wasn't able to get her tire off the rim so I could change the tube. I don't mind that I stopped to help, because if it was me I would have wanted someone to do the same. I am just sorry she had to abandon the race, I really wanted her to be able to finish like I did. The rest of the ride was amazing. the hills were really tough, but since I love hills and pain it was great for me. My average speed was a little lower than I wanted, but the fact that I never once stopped to walk my bike is huge. I did quite a bit of cussing, crying, and begging my legs to cooperate, but I kept moving.

During the bike, every woman that passed me on her way back had encouraging words for those of us just heading out. Lots of local residents came out to cheer us on, it was so amazing. I made a point to say thank you and to tell the ladies behind me they were looking good. The police officers and cadets that were out were amazing. Howard County, Maryland rocks!!!!

The second transition was shorter than the first, or so it seems. I changed my shoes and choked down a GU, which has got to be the most nastified concoction ever created next to peas, but damn they work. If it wasn't for the Gatorade chaser I would have been tasting it for the entire run. The day before the race, I walked most of the run course, so there were no surprises there. I just focused on keeping my feet moving. Centennial Park is beautiful, and the run was one of the most amazing I have ever done. It ranks up there with my weekly runs on the National Mall. The Gatorade and water stations were well manned, and the race support people were so nice (that was a constant throughout the entire event). The last half mile were the best, you could hear people cheering you on and folks high-fived you. When I crossed the finish line I cried like baby, but I was so happy. I managed to make a new friend this weekend and just as she promised she waited to see me finish.

I am totally hooked, and next year I want to volunteer at the race so I can make some newbie's experience as fantastic as mine has been. I am definitely doing another race next year, but have promised I won't attempt any more lake swims until my Mom dies. She says she cannot stand to watch me struggle the way I did. So if I can find one with a pool swim, then I am there. But one day I will do an open water swim, I will probably have to keep it a secret. Otherwise it is duathlons and fun runs for me. Next year I have my eye on the Army Ten-Miler. I am totally grateful I had this experience, especially the swim. Knowing I conquered something when all odds were against me, let me know I am capable of so much more than I thought. When the race was over, my Cousin leaned over to my Mom and said "now that she has done this, there isn't anything she can't do." My Mom's response, "do you know how much s**t she can get into now?!" Such is the life of a multi-sport athlete
2007-08-21 11:52 AM
in reply to: #923729

User image

Veteran
Delaware

jer2wcs- thanks for writing all of that up.  I learned some of that stuff (like needing to rinse off your feet) when I did the relay in July - so it's really good that you did a practice run.  Also I have read other's blogs and learned that the nutrition aspect is key -  learning what you can handle  during the race is important.  Maybe you can try another brand of gel - I have used Hammer Gels - whic taste nasty, but seem to sit ok in my belly. 

You are definitely setting yourself up to Kick some butt!!  Good luck on the race!! It's coming up - this sunday, right??

2007-08-21 11:55 AM
in reply to: #933145

User image

Veteran
Delaware

joyjoy - CONGRATS!!! That is awesome.  Was this your first tri ever?  Did you do an OLY for a first-time?  You brave soul!!  Thanks for writing all of that up - it's really helpful for me, since I am doing my first tri (sprint) on 9/16.  

I think that the hardest part of a race isn't finishing - it's STARTING.  It takes nerve and confidence to say 'yeah, I can finish this race' - no matter if you freaked beforehand, the fact is that you DID start - and finish - and did great!!  nice job!!

2007-08-27 10:45 PM

User image

Texas
Alright, I have a few questions about general nutrition and supplements. I know that I need to take a good multi vitiman, but beyond that I am a little confused. First off, my energy levels seem to vary a lot from day to day (mostly independantly of amounts of exercise). I think it may be due to what I eat (I eat 3 meals a day + snacks, but i not sure im eating the right stuff necessarily)? What is considered a good ratio of CARBS: PROTEIN: FAT for endurance training (bear in mind I'm not trying to lose weight).

Also I have question about supplements that aid in recovery. I generally try to lift 3-4 times a week (generally alternating upper body and lower body on different days) in addition to tri training.
After lower body workouts I have lots of problems with DOMS, usually about 2 days later. My leg muscles get extremely sore and tight (esp my hamstrings), and it happens even when im lifting regularly. Are there supplements that help reduce DOMS and speed recovery? I have read some about BCAAs, creatine, etc... how well do those factor in with strength/endurance training? Any advice would be awesome

By the way, joyjoy congratulations on doing your first tri, thats awesome. I'm doing my first one next month... I will need all the luck I can get i think

Edited by kt_grl11 2007-08-27 10:46 PM
2007-08-28 7:19 AM
in reply to: #934280

User image

Elite
JenO Trigirl - 2007-08-21 10:55 AM

joyjoy - CONGRATS!!! That is awesome.  Was this your first tri ever?  Did you do an OLY for a first-time?  You brave soul!!  Thanks for writing all of that up - it's really helpful for me, since I am doing my first tri (sprint) on 9/16.  

I think that the hardest part of a race isn't finishing - it's STARTING.  It takes nerve and confidence to say 'yeah, I can finish this race' - no matter if you freaked beforehand, the fact is that you DID start - and finish - and did great!!  nice job!!

I second that... big ups to ya joyjoy!

bts

2007-08-28 10:38 AM
in reply to: #943301

User image

Elite

kt_grl11 - 2007-08-27 9:45 PM Alright, I have a few questions about general nutrition and supplements. I know that I need to take a good multi vitiman, but beyond that I am a little confused. First off, my energy levels seem to vary a lot from day to day (mostly independantly of amounts of exercise). I think it may be due to what I eat (I eat 3 meals a day + snacks, but i not sure im eating the right stuff necessarily)? What is considered a good ratio of CARBS: PROTEIN: FAT for endurance training (bear in mind I'm not trying to lose weight). Also I have question about supplements that aid in recovery. I generally try to lift 3-4 times a week (generally alternating upper body and lower body on different days) in addition to tri training. After lower body workouts I have lots of problems with DOMS, usually about 2 days later. My leg muscles get extremely sore and tight (esp my hamstrings), and it happens even when im lifting regularly. Are there supplements that help reduce DOMS and speed recovery? I have read some about BCAAs, creatine, etc... how well do those factor in with strength/endurance training? Any advice would be awesome

Unfortunately, there are countless answers to those questions. 

Regarding diet - I do okay around the 40-30-30 to 40-40-20.  I don't have any problems with lethargy using that approach.  Spreading the meals out is a good idea and should help keep the blood sugar steady.  If possible, you might want to try shrinking the meals a little bit and increasing the size or frequency of the snacks.

For me, I've found the more I stay away from highly processed foods (especially the high fructose corn syrup variety) they more even I stay.  Those foods give me the biggest crashes.

For supplements beyond multi-vitamins - you'll probably want to experiment to see what works best for you.  Creatine is solid for short duration activities, but benfits are more or less negligible for endurance activities.  DOMS is pretty much a fact of life if you're doing any serious lifting or hard speed work, it's just something you work through.  Stretching and using the massage stick help me keep it to a minimum.  Make sure you're getting enough protein as I've found that helps the muscles bounce back a little bit quicker (like the cows say: "eat mor chikin".

I used to go wild with supplements, especially pre-triathlon, but I've found that the expense and effort don't seem worth it when you can get most of the benefits from a well-rounded and sufficient diet.  One thing I still use from time to time is the MetRx powder because it helps me get the extra calories I need in fairly good proportions.

bts 

2007-08-28 10:44 AM

User image

Ok, everyone. I am official now.

You can read my race report (if you are interested) here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I have already signed up for my second tri. It is going to be the Treasure Island Sprint Tri in San Francisco in November. That gives me two months to beef up my swimming.

I HAD A BLAST!

Jer
2007-09-19 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Woo hoo!! I did it!  I am officially a triathlete.  I am pretty psyched.  here's my race report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=90769

Thanks to everyone for your support!! 

By the way- I am hooked!!  That was so fun.  Too bad tri season is over up here in the northeast.  I'll be setting up my training schedule for the winter, though.  Time to work on the running.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brett's Group - All Full Up Rss Feed  

of 4